PDA

View Full Version : New Spock's Beard album

Brainforest
11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
The upcoming album is called "Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep." More info at http://www.spocksbeard.com

Here are a few excerpts:

http://youtu.be/5rcnpG6Yx1E

The_Lurker
11-30-2012, 12:59 PM
I liked the excerpts (camples?) quite a bit. I'm looking forward to Mk III of this band.

Jefferson James
11-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Looking forward to this as well -- Ted Leonard's got a killer set of pipes and the band's last album was sweet.

progmeister
11-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Ordered!!

Dave Meros is my favorite Beatle.:bad

Progatron
11-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I was flip-flopping between the $15 Limited Edition CD and the $20,000 package. I eventually went with option "A".

JIF
11-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Looking forward to this as well -- Ted Leonard's got a killer set of pipes and the band's last album was sweet.I think he sounds like Neal a bit from the camples.

arj
12-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Yep, I think I can hear Neal's songwriting and voice in parts. Sounds good.

Hunnibee
12-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Looking forward to this! Hopefully, I'll be working soon and can afford this once it comes out.

Hmmm... new album... new... tour? It would be great to finally see this band in concert!

The Letter M
12-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Pre-ordered the Digital Album and the Signed CD+T-Shirt set! Cannot wait for this album, especially since March 1st is my birthday!

-Marc.

Firth
12-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Wow, Ted Leonard vocalist from Enchant sings the National Anthem of the US and kicks ass with Spock's Beard:up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my_xQ67q_mY

Baribrotzer
12-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Who's handling the writing at this point? It was probably 90% Neal when he was in the band, and I get the impression that Nick had a lot to do with it after that. Alan Morse, maybe?

The Letter M
12-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Who's handling the writing at this point? It was probably 90% Neal when he was in the band, and I get the impression that Nick had a lot to do with it after that. Alan Morse, maybe?

Pretty much everyone in the band, and in addition John Boegehold and Stan Ausmus. Also, on X, Neal was included as a writer for the song "The Emperor's Clothes", and he also wrote with Alan for some songs on this album.

-Marc.

jviola95
12-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Pre-ordered last night. The samples are very promising.

trespass
12-01-2012, 05:25 PM
I wonder if there will be a CD release party? The one for X was pretty fun. I'll have to check out their website.

Prog Lives
12-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Really cool options for the die hards, with CD plus extra packages all the way up to 20 grand

Hunnibee
12-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Wow, I just took a look at all the packages. Those are pretty amazing offers!

ThomasKDye
12-02-2012, 02:20 AM
Yeah, I want this, I think. :D It's so good it made me rethink my "meh" attitude with Enchant. (I like some of it, but Enchant's overall sound isn't my thing.)

Rand Kelly
12-02-2012, 05:26 AM
$8 for shipping one cd? WOW!

BarryLI
12-02-2012, 08:39 AM
$8 for shipping one cd? WOW!

That's to Canada, $5 to the good old US of A.

Garden Dreamer
12-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Nick's not in the band anymore?

BarryLI
12-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Nick's not in the band anymore?

Nick has a permanent gig with one of the Cirque de Soleil troupes in Canada, has had it for a few years I believe. He announced he was leaving the band about a year ago.

jkelman
12-02-2012, 12:09 PM
That's to Canada, $5 to the good old US of A.
Actually, no. It's $5 to USA and Canada; $8 to rest of world.

Prog Lives
12-02-2012, 12:59 PM
http://www.spocksbeard.com/preorder.html

Check the packages out, pretty creative selling some of the instruments used in the recording

JIF
12-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Nick's not in the band anymore?Where have you been? That's old news.

Nicky Cupcakes
12-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I want this, I think. :D It's so good it made me rethink my "meh" attitude with Enchant. (I like some of it, but Enchant's overall sound isn't my thing.)

I hear you! I tried Enchant - found it to be not my cup, but Ted can definitely sing! So I'm really looking forward to this. Sound clips are extremely promising.

The Mister
12-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Actually, Nick is currently in Atlanta. His show is called Totem, and it's a touring show.

Firth
12-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Wonder why the sample video is not available

Firth
12-08-2012, 05:22 PM
It's working now.

Scott Bails
01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
New album cover has been revealed:

http://www.spocksbeard.com/images/cd_bnads2.jpg

Pretty damn cool, IMO.

Rufus
01-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Auto buy..
Cool cover too!

Christopher Henry
01-03-2013, 01:08 PM

Cool. Thanks for posting that.

MidnightSun
01-03-2013, 04:29 PM
Hello, everyone...Chris from Long Island checking in and extending a warm new year's salutation to all fans of quality, uncompromising music...

Really interested in discovering when the new SB album is geared for release.

I'm listenting to the new Neal Morse - Momentum as I type this...Three tracks in...No opinion yet.

flatliner
01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Actually, Nick is currently in Atlanta. His show is called Totem, and it's a touring show.

I went to see Totem in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. EXCELLENT SHOW....My wife and I had 3rd row seats. Imagine my SHOCK when halfway through the show, Nick walked in RIGHT IN FRONT OF US for one of the songs. He played acoustic guitar and sang lead on this song! (I wanted to shout out Spock's Beard, but being the mature adult I am I thought better of doing that)! Excellent show overall, but seeing Nick made it that much better.

Also, Nick is a permanent member of Big Big Train now. Has been since he left Spock's Beard. Check out their new CD. It's one of the best from last year!

Firth
01-03-2013, 06:46 PM

http://www.spocksbeard.com/images/cd_bnads2.jpg

Pretty damn cool, IMO.Damn cool!

Rick
01-03-2013, 09:44 PM
I went to see Totem in Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. EXCELLENT SHOW....My wife and I had 3rd row seats. Imagine my SHOCK when halfway through the show, Nick walked in RIGHT IN FRONT OF US for one of the songs. He played acoustic guitar and sang lead on this song! (I wanted to shout out Spock's Beard, but being the mature adult I am I thought better of doing that)! Excellent show overall, but seeing Nick made it that much better.

I thought that was him. I noticed him when the band came out at the end for the applause. Did not realize he was singing or playing acoustic.

Pretty cool. But, would love to see him in a true concert. I wonder if he played any side gigs in Atlanta?

Rick..

The Letter M
01-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Just realized that the new album's artwork is by the same guy who did SB's Snow, Neal Morse's Sola Scriptura and Enchant's Juggling 9 Or Dropping 10! Awesome!

-Marc.

JIF
01-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Just realized that the new album's artwork is by the same guy who did SB's Snow, Neal Morse's Sola Scriptura and Enchant's Juggling 9 Or Dropping 10! Awesome!

-Marc.I thought that he also did the artwork for Spock's Beard's V and Enchant's Tug Of War?

ScottAM
01-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Nice fishing in Topographic Oceans cover. There's really good energy around this upcoming SB release, I'm looking forward to it!

JIF
01-21-2013, 10:06 PM
The tracklisting is up on the SB website. Too much work to post it here, but I did notice that one of the tracks is called Afterthoughts. Is that part of the Thoughts series? Also, didn't Enchant have a song called Submerged? Afterthoughts and Waiting For Me are cowritten by an N. Morse. Wonder who that could be? ;)

Progatron
01-21-2013, 10:09 PM
The tracklisting is up on the SB website. Too much work to post it here

Yeah, that copy/paste thing is a killer.

Disc One

1. Hiding Out (T. Leonard) - 7:13
2. I Know Your Secret (D. Meros, J. Boegehold) - 7:40
3. A Treasure Abandoned (J. Boegehold, A. Morse) - 8:53
4. Submerged (T. Leonard) - 4:57
5. Afterthoughts (A. Morse, N. Morse, T. Leonard) - 6:08
6. Something Very Strange (J. Boegehold) - 8:23
7. Waiting For Me (A. Morse, N. Morse) - 12:36

Disc Two (special edition only)

1. The Man You’re Afraid You Are (A. Morse, S. Ausmus) - 7:11
2. Down A Burning Road (J. Boegehold, A. Morse) - 6:51
3. Wish I Were Here (A. Morse) - 6:33
4. Something Very Strange / Sanctified Remix - 5:09

limited edition bonus track:

5. Postcards From Perdition (J. Boegehold) - 4:27

JIF
01-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah, that copy/paste thing is a killer.

Disc One

1. Hiding Out (T. Leonard) - 7:13
2. I Know Your Secret (D. Meros, J. Boegehold) - 7:40
3. A Treasure Abandoned (J. Boegehold, A. Morse) - 8:53
4. Submerged (T. Leonard) - 4:57
5. Afterthoughts (A. Morse, N. Morse, T. Leonard) - 6:08
6. Something Very Strange (J. Boegehold) - 8:23
7. Waiting For Me (A. Morse, N. Morse) - 12:36

Disc Two (special edition only)

1. The Man You’re Afraid You Are (A. Morse, S. Ausmus) - 7:11
2. Down A Burning Road (J. Boegehold, A. Morse) - 6:51
3. Wish I Were Here (A. Morse) - 6:33
4. Something Very Strange / Sanctified Remix - 5:09

limited edition bonus track:

5. Postcards From Perdition (J. Boegehold) - 4:27

Way to make fun of the handicapped, you troll!!

Sean
01-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Who is handicapped?

Lorne is not a troll. You are in no position to call anyone that. You don't even notice the real ones when they are here and yet pester members in good standing like Lorne. Pull your head out of the sand.

JIF
01-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Who is handicapped?

Lorne is not a troll. You are in no position to call anyone that. You don't even notice the real ones when they are here and yet pester members in good standing like Lorne. Pull your head out of the sand.I am handicapped. I was born with Cerebal Palsy.

Scott Bails
01-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Jordan, dude...

You really think anyone would troll you knowing you had that condition? It's not exactly public knowledge. I sincerely doubt that Lorne was trolling you - for most people, copying and pasting wouldn't be a big deal.

You gotta lighten up a little.

JIF
01-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Jordan, dude...

You really think anyone would troll you knowing you had that condition? It's not exactly public knowledge. I sincerely doubt that Lorne was trolling you - for most people, copying and pasting wouldn't be a big deal.

You gotta lighten up a little.There are people like Progeezer and Scottballis(did I type that right?) that have actually read my profile and PMed me.

Progatron
01-21-2013, 10:39 PM
No, of course I had no idea whatsoever about JIF (or most anyone else here)'s offline life. It was sarcasm and nothing more.

Back to Spock's Beard.

Scott Bails
01-21-2013, 11:11 PM
There are people like Progeezer and Scottballis(did I type that right?) that have actually read my profile and PMed me.

Yeah, I know, but not everyone does that.

JIF
01-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I know, but not everyone does that.Ooops, that was meant for Progatron. Sorry, Scott.

Hunnibee
01-22-2013, 02:51 AM
Well, I guess I will try to order the Special Edition because I'd hate to miss out on any good songs! I just don't know when I can do that. I can't believe I can't even get a job at 7-11! :(

nycsteve
01-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Way to make fun of the handicapped, you troll!!

Again with the troll stuff? Stop already!

ScottAM
01-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Forget your troll talk...go see the Hobbit if that's what you want.

As for this thread, I'm really looking forward to this release. Great mix of songwriters (including N. Morse!), good song titles, promising lengths! As far as judging a book by its cover goes (including the spectacular cover art), this looks like a winner! Oh, and the advanced camples that have been released sound pretty damn good, too!

JIF
01-31-2013, 12:55 AM
I was on the Insideout Music website yesterday and it had a press release for welcoming back Spock's Beard. When did they leave Insideout, and why did they go back? I'm not complaining, btw, just asking. It means I can walk into a music store and pick up a Spock's Beard cd again. Octane was the last Spock's Beard cd(I believe) that I saw in stores. The others released after I only found online.

LeFrog
01-31-2013, 04:59 AM
I was on the Insideout Music website yesterday and it had a press release for welcoming back Spock's Beard. When did they leave Insideout, and why did they go back? I'm not complaining, btw, just asking. It means I can walk into a music store and pick up a Spock's Beard cd again. Octane was the last Spock's Beard cd(I believe) that I saw in stores. The others released after I only found online.

"X" was definitely not released with Inside Out, but I think the previous one was (self-titled).

The reason they left Inside-Out was because "X" was self-financed (Marillion-like), but I guess with NDV's departure and two new members on board, it was probably too risky to bet on the same numbers of pre-orders for the new one. My guess of course...

JIF
01-31-2013, 05:53 AM
"X" was definitely not released with Inside Out, but I think the previous one was (self-titled).

The reason they left Inside-Out was because "X" was self-financed (Marillion-like), but I guess with NDV's departure and two new members on board, it was probably too risky to bet on the same numbers of pre-orders for the new one. My guess of course...Could it also be that two of Ted's bands(Enchant and Thought Chamber) are on Insideout? So, maybe the band had a change of heart and let Insideout handle this one. I had assumed the previous one(s) were self-released cause Spock's Beard left(or was dropped from) Insideout.

LeFrog
01-31-2013, 06:47 AM
Could it also be that two of Ted's bands(Enchant and Thought Chamber) are on Insideout? So, maybe the band had a change of heart and let Insideout handle this one. I had assumed the previous one(s) were self-released cause Spock's Beard left(or was dropped from) Insideout.

I'm pretty sure the band were never dropped from InsideOut and that there were no hard feelings. It was the band's decision to self-finance "X" because obviously they make more money that way. But only bands with a strong fanbase willing to preorder an album in advance without knowing anything about it can go the self-financed route. That was possible for X because the NDV-led version of the band had made a name for itself, but I'm sure a lot of fans who helped finance "X" would want to be familiar with the new version of the band before buying the new album. So self-financing was definitely not an option this time, and I guess it was natural for them to return to InsideOut. The fact that Ted also works with them probably made the move even more logical.

Brainforest
01-31-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the band were never dropped from InsideOut and that there were no hard feelings. It was the band's decision to self-finance "X" because obviously they make more money that way. But only bands with a strong fanbase willing to preorder an album in advance without knowing anything about it can go the self-financed route. That was possible for X because the NDV-led version of the band had made a name for itself, but I'm sure a lot of fans who helped finance "X" would want to be familiar with the new version of the band before buying the new album. So self-financing was definitely not an option this time, and I guess it was natural for them to return to InsideOut. The fact that Ted also works with them probably made the move even more logical.

The band wasn't dropped from InsideOut after their 9th album. The licensing agreement they had ran out and for various reasons they decided to go with Mascot / Music Theory for X and the X Tour Live CD/DVD. No hard feeling from any of the parties involved.

The financing of X through pre-orders was originally started just to get things going between contracts but ended up being FAR more successful than anyone imagined. Again, for the special edition of the new album, the preorder on indiegogo was started before the band was back with InsideOut, and has been even more successful than the last time.

progsynth
01-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Very much looking forward to this one -- samples sound fantastic and one of the more interesting covers I have seen in a long time!

LeFrog
01-31-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm sure a lot of fans who helped finance "X" would want to be familiar with the new version of the band before buying the new album.
Again, for the special edition of the new album, the preorder on indiegogo was started before the band was back with InsideOut, and has been even more successful than the last time.

Glad to be proven wrong, John!

The Letter M
02-02-2013, 10:38 AM
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/multiproduct/99/3513/

Looks like Burning Shed is selling the vinyl version of SB's new album!

Side 1:
1. Hiding Out (7:13)
2. I Know Your Secret (7:40)
3. A Treasure Abandoned (8:53)

Side 2:
1. Submerged (4:57)
2. Afterthoughts (6:08)
3. Something Very Strange (8:23)

Side 3:
1. Waiting For Me (12:36)
2. The Man You're Afraid You Are (7:11)

Side 4:
1. Down A Burning Road (6:51)
2. Wish I Were Here (6:33)
3. Something Very Strange / Sanctified (Remix) (5:09)

Plus the entire album in CD format (in a transparent plastic sleeve) as a bonus.

Also, they note the following:

Spock's Beard's first album in three years sees Ted Leonard and Jimmy Keegan make their studio debuts for the band and Neal Morse making a welcome return (as co-writer on two of the album's key tracks).

A typically complex marriage of old and new Prog, Brief Nocturnes offers the Gentle Giant influenced Afterthoughts, the Rock anthem Submerged and the sprawling Waiting For Me.

The album is available as a limited mediabook edition double cd and double vinyl (featuring the two cd discs in a transparent plastic sleeve)

Pre-order for March 25th release.

Now I am even MORE convinced that "Afterthoughts" is really "Thoughts Part 3" in disguise.

-Marc.

JIF
02-02-2013, 01:04 PM
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/multiproduct/99/3513/

Looks like Burning Shed is selling the vinyl version of SB's new album!

Also, they note the following:

Now I am even MORE convinced that "Afterthoughts" is really "Thoughts Part 3" in disguise.

-Marc.It is. I know cause I asked Ted Leonard on Facebook.

The Letter M
02-02-2013, 01:48 PM
It is. I know cause I asked Ted Leonard on Facebook.

Fancy that! Glad there's confirmation! I suppose they're pulling a fast one like King Crimson did with "Level 5". Those guys (SB) never cease to amaze me with their cleverness!

-Marc.

Rand Kelly
02-04-2013, 04:33 AM
I pre-ordered directly from Spock's Beard.

Rufus
02-07-2013, 07:35 AM
They have just announced a UK tour !

Jvalvano
02-07-2013, 09:11 PM
Just preordered from the SB website.