PDA

View Full Version : Is there any archival material left for any of our favorite artists ?

Mr Rael
11-28-2012, 03:45 PM
I was wondering if the there is anything left for box sets for our favorite bands. I think Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson have all cleared out their vaults, of any remaining oddities, bonus tracks, unreleased tracks.

The only one who I can think of that has a bunch of stuff to release is Gabriel. That will be a great box set one day.

Just wondering what other bands might have a potential box set worth releasing.

calyx
11-28-2012, 03:51 PM
There are still concerts known to have been filmed that have yet to resurface in their entirety - Jethro Tull's 1975 Paris Palais des Sports concert (of which only a snippet has survived), one or several Yes shows from the 1976 tour (I think), which sadly seem to have totally vanished... Plus more from the 1976 Genesis tour than was used on the 45-minute film we know, and ditto Yes at the Rainbow 1972 (Yessongs film). There are stories surrounding some of these examples that make me pessimistic that we'll ever see more, but stranger things have happened.

Beebfader
11-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Tangerine Dream would have some unique live stuff from their improvising days if only Edgar Froese was still speaking to Chris Franke. Esoteric are doing great with what they have by way of the Bootleg Boxes (first one reissued now), but oh for some board recordings of those cathedral shows.

ItalProgRules
11-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Oh Yes, PINK FLOYD! (where's Silver Shoes to give me a "hell yeah!)

Besides the obvious, "Scream thy Last Scream" and "Vegetable Man" (which SHOULD have been on the Piper 40th anniversary set!!!) there are the two 1967 BBC sessions with Syd Barrett (9/67 and 12/67.)

And that's just for starters. The two professionally-recorded Paris Theater shows from 1970 & 1971 sound spectacular and feature the best version of "Embryo" I've ever heard. Probably my favorite PF track, that.

The Floyd need to get off their arses NOW and get this stuff out, in nice packages with pics and stuff. There is NO GOOD REASON that fans have to settle for boots for this stuff. I don't care how rich they are. Do it for the fans!!!!

edit: if the mono masters of A Saucerful of Secrets is still around, and I believe they are, those need to be released as well. The mono version of Piper was a true revelation.

calyx
11-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Besides the obvious, "Scream thy Last Scream" and "Vegetable Man" (which SHOULD have been on the Piper 40th anniversary set!!!) there are the two 1967 BBC sessions with Syd Barrett (9/67 and 12/67.)

And that's just for starters. The two professionally-recorded Paris Theater shows from 1970 & 1971 sound spectacular and feature the best version of "Embryo" I've ever heard. Probably my favorite PF track, that.

The Floyd need to get off their arses NOW and get this stuff out, in nice packages with pics and stuff. There is NO GOOD REASON that fans have to settle for boots for this stuff. I don't care how rich they are. Do it for the fans!!!!

Wouldn't the fact that just about everybody already owns this (most of it in superb sound quality) make such a release slightly less appealing than some truly unreleased material ?

polmico
11-28-2012, 06:02 PM
I keep hoping that there is something left for VdGG to mine, but I guess that's not the case. So sad that their live catalogue from the '70s is so small.

Mr Rael
11-28-2012, 06:04 PM
I forgot about Floyd. It seems like whatever stuff they might have is being released with remastered versions of the album, such as the Dark side of the moon box set.
I'm actually interested in the Wish you were here stuff, especially the live versions.

ca1ore
11-28-2012, 06:12 PM
I think there is probably a ton of stuff. As a Genesis live obsessive, there are endless full concerts on multi track tapes that have never seen an official release, along with all of the BBC sessions.

bRETT
11-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Tull have at least one missing track, "Sailor." Beautiful track, apparently from the Chateau sessions.

Fracktured
11-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Ken Golden once told me, if my memory serves me well, that someone is sitting on alot of un-released David Sancious material. I think David himself doesn't want it released. I'd love to hear it myself.

Rick

Kim Olesen
11-28-2012, 06:47 PM
And then ofcourse The Beatles still have a lot of worthwhile suff in their vaults.

happytheman
11-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Oh Yes, PINK FLOYD! (where's Silver Shoes to give me a "hell yeah!)

edit: if the mono masters of A Saucerful of Secrets is still around, and I believe they are, those need to be released as well. The mono version of Piper was a true revelation.
Is this the show you are referring too?
Pink Floyd
Paris Theatre
London, England
October 3, 1971

Ripped from "Secrets" silver bootleg using EAC. Lof file included in the torrent.

01. Embryo
02. Green is the Colour
03. Careful With That Axe, Eugene
04. Let There Be More Light
05. Murderistic Woman
06. Point Me At the Sky
07. The Narrow Way
08. Julia Dream
09. A Saucerful of Secrets
10. One of These Days
11. Echoes

Mister Triscuits
11-28-2012, 06:48 PM
The Frank Zappa vaults still have a metric buttload of unreleased sessions, not even getting into the massive archive of live tapes.

Dave (in MA)
11-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Tangerine Dream would have some unique live stuff from their improvising days if only Edgar Froese was still speaking to Chris Franke. Why does that matter, does Franke have the tapes?

cNektar
11-28-2012, 07:35 PM
I am positive Nektar has several.

80s were ok
11-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Shitload of Yes "Leave it" videos that need to come out on DVD!

presdoug
11-28-2012, 07:47 PM
There are several live Triumvirat sound documents from the seventies that i would love to see cleaned up and restored and properly released, two from the Illusions On A Double Dimple tour in the USA in 1974, one from Cologne in 1972, and a German live recording from 1980. And another live document with excerpts from concerts in 74 and 75 in the US.
And of course, their completely recorded studio album from 2002, The Web-Site Story.
And in Germany, there were films made of the band during the Old Loves Die Hard and Pompeii period that must be sitting somewhere.
Alas, there was a film made of their Illusions On A Double Dimple tour in the USA and broadcast on ABC's In Concert in January 1975, but i checked, and that video no longer exists.

happytheman
11-29-2012, 04:39 AM
There are several live Triumvirat sound documents from the seventies that i would love to see cleaned up and restored and properly released, two from the Illusions On A Double Dimple tour in the USA in 1974, one from Cologne in 1972, and a German live recording from 1980. And another live document with excerpts from concerts in 74 and 75 in the US.
And of course, their completely recorded studio album from 2002, The Web-Site Story.
And in Germany, there were films made of the band during the Old Loves Die Hard and Pompeii period that must be sitting somewhere.
Alas, there was a film made of their Illusions On A Double Dimple tour in the USA and broadcast on ABC's In Concert in January 1975, but i checked, and that video no longer exists.
I've got one show from the Illusions tour (Providence RI '74) but the sound quality is very poor. Not sure which you are referring to...

JKL2000
11-29-2012, 08:01 AM
So what Esoteric is releasing is reissues of the two T Dream bootleg boxes?

bondegezou
11-29-2012, 09:24 AM
There's tons of Yes stuff still to be released. There are numerous bootlegs that could be cleaned up King Crimson Collectors' Club style. Pete Banks seems to have some further early live recordings of Yes, The Syn and Flash. There are at least a few alternate studio recordings of the '70s band not used on the Rhino expanded releases. We've had a recent thread on the XYZ tapes, more's there than has been bootlegged. There are oodles of 90125 alternates: the whole album was prepared without Anderson and only a few of those versions have been releases... and there are unreleased songs like "Time". Howe has talked of potential bonus material connected to ABWH (not used on the recent Voiceprint re-release because Voiceprint put that out without even telling Howe) and there's more from around the time of Big Generator and Union, multiple alternate versions.

Band members' personal archives probably have more. Howe has his Homebrew series, but has promised a similar release of band projects. We've heard bootlegs of post-Hackett GTR. There's stuff like the late 1970s Anderson-composed ballet that recently emerged on Dimeadozen. My guess would be that there could be anything in, say, White's or Squire's cupboards. There are numerous late 1970s singles and jingles that Horn and Downes worked on, but are pretty much impossible to find.

Henry

Beebfader
11-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Tangerine Dream would have some unique live stuff from their improvising days if only Edgar Froese was still speaking to Chris Franke.

>>>>>>>Why does that matter, does Franke have the tapes?

Apparently yes. It's one of those `divorce' type situations, which is pretty sad really. I have no idea of the details, but that's it in a nutshell. Yes Esoteric are re-issuing both Bootleg Boxes, with a third unreleased one to follow. I've had a hand in supplying some source tapes, which are being restored to a better standard than previously, by someone who understands noise reduction and the like...but it's still a pitiful situation when there are officially recorded tapes of some unique concerts gathering dust somewhere.

Mr Rael
11-29-2012, 09:51 AM
I thought Yes had used up whatever unreleased stuff on the remastered cds and the box sets. Im sure there is plenty of demo stuff, but not all of it is worth listening to.

There's tons of Yes stuff still to be released. There are numerous bootlegs that could be cleaned up King Crimson Collectors' Club style. Pete Banks seems to have some further early live recordings of Yes, The Syn and Flash. There are at least a few alternate studio recordings of the '70s band not used on the Rhino expanded releases. We've had a recent thread on the XYZ tapes, more's there than has been bootlegged. There are oodles of 90125 alternates: the whole album was prepared without Anderson and only a few of those versions have been releases... and there are unreleased songs like "Time". Howe has talked of potential bonus material connected to ABWH (not used on the recent Voiceprint re-release because Voiceprint put that out without even telling Howe) and there's more from around the time of Big Generator and Union, multiple alternate versions.

Band members' personal archives probably have more. Howe has his Homebrew series, but has promised a similar release of band projects. We've heard bootlegs of post-Hackett GTR. There's stuff like the late 1970s Anderson-composed ballet that recently emerged on Dimeadozen. My guess would be that there could be anything in, say, White's or Squire's cupboards. There are numerous late 1970s singles and jingles that Horn and Downes worked on, but are pretty much impossible to find.

Henry

I liked what I heard of the GTR stuff.

Facelift
11-29-2012, 09:54 AM
I've heard that Soft Machine still has some - including video - but that it's tied up in licensing issues.

bondegezou
11-29-2012, 10:10 AM
I thought Yes had used up whatever unreleased stuff on the remastered cds and the box sets.

Not at all. I see no reason to think that. There are cases where we know more exists (e.g. the CttE-era Squire song "Can You Come Home With Me Tonight" on the multi-disc bootleg said to derive from Atlantic's trawl for material) and there may be unknown unknowns too.

Im sure there is plenty of demo stuff, but not all of it is worth listening to.

There is generally a law of diminishing returns with these things. I don think there's another "And You and I" sitting in the vaults, but there's certainly material that's been bootlegged that warrants proper release and some surprise finds in recent years have been pretty good.

Henry

ItalProgRules
11-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Is this the show you are referring too?
Pink Floyd
Paris Theatre
London, England
October 3, 1971

Ripped from "Secrets" silver bootleg using EAC. Lof file included in the torrent.

01. Embryo
02. Green is the Colour
03. Careful With That Axe, Eugene
04. Let There Be More Light
05. Murderistic Woman
06. Point Me At the Sky
07. The Narrow Way
08. Julia Dream
09. A Saucerful of Secrets
10. One of These Days
11. Echoes

Nope. These:

16 July, 1970. BBC’s Paris Theatre, London UK.
Sounds of the Seventies: John Peel Show, BBC 1 Radio.
Recorded on the 16th
Broadcasted on 19july70 at 4:00 PM and
rebroadcasted on 22jul70 at 6:00 PM
“The Embryo” – 10:30
“Fat Old Sun” – 5:00
“Green Is The Colour”/”Careful with that Axe, Eugene” – 11:30
“If” – 4:30
“Atom Heart Mother” – 26:00
Total time: 60:00

This is the only live performance of “If” by Pink Floyd, with Roger on acoustic guitar and Rick on bass and organ simultaneously (Roger did perform it numerous times on his solo tours). “Atom Heart Mother” was performed with the accompaniment of The Philip Jones Brass Ensemble.
The Fat Old Sun is missing from the BBC transcription discs, and is only available because Floyd fans recorded the radio show all those years ago. The quality of this track is therefore less on the Mooed music ROIO. Most common RoIOs omit this song altogether.

30 September, 1971. BBC’s Paris Theatre, London UK.
Recording for the John Peel Show, BBC 1 Radio
Recorded on the 12th of October
Broadcast at 10:00 pm
“Embryo” – 10:30
“Blues” – 5:00
“Fat Old Sun” – 15:00
“One of These Days” – 8:00
“Echoes” – 28:00
Total time: 68:00

dgtlman
11-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Not to mention Rush. I remember sometime around 1980 or so that they said in an interview that they were videotaping all of their tours... what happened to that? Also is there a full version of the Pink Pop set from the Hemispheres tour?

LeFrog
11-29-2012, 11:37 AM
As a Genesis studio obsessive (as opposed to live), I can say that there is also a few studio stuff left to be released.

Apparently there are still some early demos that remain unreleased, although what was considered the best of them appeared on Archive 1. I remember that Jonathan Dann (Anthony Phillips's archivist) had made a complete list of what existed.
There is a rumour of a 1971 single which would have included a studio recording of Going Out To Get You with another track called Wooden Mask. The masters appear to be lost without trace.
Appart from that, since the release of the Jackson tapes, I don't think there are any lost songs that haven't been released officially.

On the other hand, there are a few things that have never been released since they originally appeared on vinyl. These could be interesting for fans as some of them are now very hard to find:
- From Genesis To Revelation, mono mix: very different from the stereo mix, not just a fold down. With the success of the Beatles mono mixes, I'm surprised Jonathan King hasn't jumped on this opportunity to release it.
- Happy the man Italian 7" mix: different from the UK 7" mix appearing on Archive 1.
- Twilight Alehouse original 7" mix: although not listed as such, the version on Archive 1 was a remix
- It's yourself original mix with original ending
- Follow you follow me US 7" mix: very different from the regular mix.
- Submarine original mix with original ending

Dana5140
11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
There is a significant amount of Magma material in the valuts as well, if only Vander et al would work on the Archiv sets that they could release.

ItalProgRules
11-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Wouldn't the fact that just about everybody already owns this (most of it in superb sound quality) make such a release slightly less appealing than some truly unreleased material ?

I missed the part of the thread title that said "Is there any archival material left for any of our favorite artists THAT HASN'T BEEN RELEASED ON BOOTLEGS."

Oh wait. No I didn't.

battema
11-29-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm kind of a Vangelis fan, and I've heard that he has tons of unreleased music sitting around.

I'd enjoy hearing that ambient thingy that PF apparently did alongside 'Division Bell.'

Magic Mountain
11-29-2012, 03:35 PM
I heard a rumor, in fact it was on PE2.0, that an entire never before heard Gentle Giant album will be previewed in the future on an heretofore uninhabited island. The person responsible for the rumor, and quite possibly in possession of the lost masters, will be on the Cruise to the Edge. Could it be? Make sure if you're going on the cruise to pack extra underwear. :D

PiscesPraematurus
11-29-2012, 03:39 PM
And then ofcourse The Beatles still have a lot of worthwhile suff in their vaults.

I'd like to hear more about this...I assumed the vaults were pretty well dry...

Mr Rael
11-29-2012, 03:50 PM
As a Genesis studio obsessive (as opposed to live), I can say that there is also a few studio stuff left to be released.

Apparently there are still some early demos that remain unreleased, although what was considered the best of them appeared on Archive 1. I remember that Jonathan Dann (Anthony Phillips's archivist) had made a complete list of what existed.
There is a rumour of a 1971 single which would have included a studio recording of Going Out To Get You with another track called Wooden Mask. The masters appear to be lost without trace.
Appart from that, since the release of the Jackson tapes, I don't think there are any lost songs that haven't been released officially.

On the other hand, there are a few things that have never been released since they originally appeared on vinyl. These could be interesting for fans as some of them are now very hard to find:
- From Genesis To Revelation, mono mix: very different from the stereo mix, not just a fold down. With the success of the Beatles mono mixes, I'm surprised Jonathan King hasn't jumped on this opportunity to release it.
- Happy the man Italian 7" mix: different from the UK 7" mix appearing on Archive 1.
- Twilight Alehouse original 7" mix: although not listed as such, the version on Archive 1 was a remix
- Follow you follow me US 7" mix: very different from the regular mix.

Isn't there a 12" mix of Its Gonna Get Better ? Not That this is a great prize...but for those of us that want it all....

Mr Rael
11-29-2012, 03:52 PM
I heard a rumor, in fact it was on PE2.0, that an entire never before heard Gentle Giant album will be previewed in the future on an heretofore uninhabited island. The person responsible for the rumor, and quite possibly in possession of the lost masters, will be on the Cruise to the Edge. Could it be? Make sure if you're going on the cruise to pack extra underwear. :D

That's just mean.:)

Steve F.
11-29-2012, 04:23 PM
I've heard that Soft Machine still has some - including video - but that it's tied up in licensing issues.

"Soft Machine" doesn't have anything. No one associated with Soft Machine has any material in *their* possession, afaik. I can say that for a certainty as far as Robert W., Mike R., John M. and Hugh and Elton's estates.

Is there unreleased live audio material? Sure.

Is it any good? Nothing good that *I* know of is unreleased, with a few small exceptions.

Then there's video: There's (relatively) a ton of video material (some of it rather short) in the possession of the various archives of the folks that filmed them: INA, RTB, BBC, Montreux, WDR, etc.

Don't count on any of it coming out. I spent 8 years pursuing this. Unless there's someone with deeper pockets than what this stuff is actually worth in today's marketplace and with a lot of time to spend and/or waste talking to people who aren't very realistic about what stuff is worth these days, it isn't happening.

------

Having said that, we found the Soft Machine-related holy grail and we have permission to release it.

coming in September.

Dave (in MA)
11-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Hard to believe there's nothing from UK or Bruford somewhere. I know Bruford has claimed there isn't, but maybe he just feels it's not good enough for release.

Steve F.
11-29-2012, 04:25 PM
There is a significant amount of Magma material in the valuts as well, if only Vander et al would work on the Archiv sets that they could release.

There's quite a bit of video material in INA's vaults. Since the band don't seem to want to pay to license it from INA and since INA can't release it without the band's permission, it will remain on YouTube and nowhere else.

Facelift
11-29-2012, 04:34 PM
There's that rumored Jimi Hendrix/Miles Davis stuff...

Steve F.
11-29-2012, 04:43 PM
There's that rumored Jimi Hendrix/Miles Davis stuff...

IIRC, Miles said in his biography that it didn't happen.

LASERCD
11-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Ken Golden once told me, if my memory serves me well, that someone is sitting on alot of un-released David Sancious material. I think David himself doesn't want it released. I'd love to hear it myself.

Rick

Neil Kernon is sitting on about 10 hours worth of unreleased recordings they made in NYC.

Dana5140
11-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Shoot, Steve, what a mess.

Jeremy Bender
11-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Given that ELP always scrambled for material to put on studio albums, I can't imagine there's any songs left in their vault. Maybe alternate versions of sections with different KE solos, but given how badly ELP has handled their archive from the beginning, I doubt that stuff even exists. Of course, Keith's house burning down in 1975 can't have helped, it definitely destroyed the masters to some songs. :(

As far as stuff like the whole CalJam show on film/video, I long ago gave up hope that it exists. Again, I think they were so badly managed/unaware/didn't care that they simply let ABC throw away all the unused footage. The Isle of Wight DVD is pathetic: 4 minutes or so of actual ELP (a bit of organ mauling > a bit of Carl's drum solo > Keith and Greg setting off the canons at the end of Pictures), I think that's it. To fill up the rest with images of the Lyceum show and 10 minutes of a fucking boat race is disgraceful, a total rip-off.

Bucka001
11-29-2012, 05:53 PM
VdGG were on TV more than one might think in the 70's. A lot of this stuff has surfaced, but a lot hasn't. They were on a British show at the beginning of '71 called Disco 2 (Genesis was also on that, and I've read that it's sadly one of those shows that was probably wiped and doesn't exist anymore). They were also on French TV in March of '71 but I don't have the name of the show. They also appeared on a Belgian TV show called Pop Shop in April of '71. Of course there's the promo clip of them miming to Wondering in '76. That's out there, but I've only ever seen it in appalling quality (it's like your dog took the video tape into his muddy doghouse and pawed at it for hours, and then you popped the tape into your VCR). Peter thinks they might have done Tony Wilson's show 'So It Goes' (British TV, mid-late 70's) with the Nic Potter / Graham Smith lineup, but he admits his memory isn't totally reliable. I've seen episode guides for that show and VdG is not mentioned anywhere.

You never know what will turn up, though. I'd never heard anyone in twenty years, collectors and fans alike, mention a Hammill '73 appearance on a French TV show called Rockenstock, and then last year it surfaces along with some other great artists from the same show. So, you never can tell what's out there waiting to be discovered.

I do know that a fan gave Peter some super 8 silent film he shot of the band at NYC's Beacon Theater in '76. That was a rumor for years, but it's been confirmed. Not a myth.

presdoug
11-29-2012, 05:59 PM
I've got one show from the Illusions tour (Providence RI '74) but the sound quality is very poor. Not sure which you are referring to... Yeah, i'm referring to the Providence RI show, as well as a recording on Nov. 1st, 1974 at the St. Bernard Cultural Center, Chalmette, Louisiana, which is very hard to come by, and i've never heard it.

Mister Triscuits
11-29-2012, 06:01 PM
given how badly ELP has handled their archive from the beginning

I see what you did there.

happytheman
11-29-2012, 06:39 PM

And this has been "officially" released? Where might one obtain this recording?

happytheman
11-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Long version of Helter Skelter? and I'm sure there was other stuff from White Album era that never saw the light of day.

walt
11-29-2012, 06:53 PM
I'd like to hear more from the trio edition of Soft Machine(Ratledge,Hopper, Wyatt).I dig Paradiso and the Peel sessions and hope there's more of this quality gathering dust somewhere.

Progatron
11-29-2012, 06:56 PM

Was that original "Twilight Alehouse" the flexidisc given away in a magazine? And what are the differences in the endings of the other two tracks you mentioned?

And this has been "officially" released? Where might one obtain this recording?

Which? The Jackson Tapes? They are on the bonus disc of the 1970-1975 box.

Mister Triscuits
11-29-2012, 07:04 PM
Long version of Helter Skelter? and I'm sure there was other stuff from White Album era that never saw the light of day.

Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDDfW2pMhk

progman1975
11-29-2012, 07:23 PM
I know not prog but there has to be more tracks from Joe Walsh's live album "You Can't Argue...."

progman1975
11-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Was that original

WTH is on the extras DVD..It doesn't say....I have had the box set since its release and totally forgot about the extras discs.....:lol

Progatron
11-29-2012, 07:54 PM
WTH is on the extras DVD..It doesn't say....I have had the box set since its release and totally forgot about the extras discs.....:lol

The 'Midnight Special' '73 performance of "Watcher" and "Musical Box", as well as a VH1 documentary from around the time of the first Archive box set, and a short batch of other quotes from the 2007 interviews, mostly about the actual boxes themselves, and mostly with Tony since he was the most involved. Those interviews on each of the album DVDs are just excellent IMO, I have enjoyed watching them quite a few times.

happytheman
11-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Was that original "Twilight Alehouse" the flexidisc given away in a magazine? And what are the differences in the endings of the other two tracks you mentioned?

I've got that, didn't realize that's what it was called.

happytheman
11-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQDDfW2pMhk
Yeah I heard this a couple years ago when it was "unearthed". But there was a lot going on during that phase in their career. What's New Mary Jane was one example that was released on the Anthology series. I'm sure there's more...

cNektar
11-29-2012, 08:16 PM
I can think of at least 3 times when Nektar played live on tv from their early days back when Mick used to draw images on the slide plates.....pre-movies era. I would love to have one of those station release/find the material.

happytheman
11-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Nope. These:

16 July, 1970. BBC’s Paris Theatre, London UK.
Sounds of the Seventies: John Peel Show, BBC 1 Radio.
Recorded on the 16th
Broadcasted on 19july70 at 4:00 PM and
rebroadcasted on 22jul70 at 6:00 PM
“The Embryo” – 10:30
“Fat Old Sun” – 5:00
“Green Is The Colour”/”Careful with that Axe, Eugene” – 11:30
“If” – 4:30
“Atom Heart Mother” – 26:00
Total time: 60:00

This is the only live performance of “If” by Pink Floyd, with Roger on acoustic guitar and Rick on bass and organ simultaneously (Roger did perform it numerous times on his solo tours). “Atom Heart Mother” was performed with the accompaniment of The Philip Jones Brass Ensemble.
The Fat Old Sun is missing from the BBC transcription discs, and is only available because Floyd fans recorded the radio show all those years ago. The quality of this track is therefore less on the Mooed music ROIO. Most common RoIOs omit this song altogether.

30 September, 1971. BBC’s Paris Theatre, London UK.
Recording for the John Peel Show, BBC 1 Radio
Recorded on the 12th of October
Broadcast at 10:00 pm
“Embryo” – 10:30
“Blues” – 5:00
“Fat Old Sun” – 15:00
“One of These Days” – 8:00
“Echoes” – 28:00
Total time: 68:00
I think I have both of these listed as "Peel Sessions '70-'71" Track listing looks to be the same. Agree both very nice recordings. And while we are on Pink Floyd there's KQED that could be released on DVD and CD, and multiple tours could be released as live recordings.

Dave (in MA)
11-29-2012, 09:33 PM
I know not prog but there has to be more tracks from Joe Walsh's live album "You Can't Argue...."
That one is so good, I have no use for the studio versions of those songs.

polmico
11-29-2012, 09:36 PM
VdGG were on TV more than one might think in the 70's.

If PH could somehow release it, I would buy it all.

Jeremy Bender
11-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Long version of Helter Skelter?You mean the jams? From the website Beatles Bible ("not quite as popular as Jesus!"):

The Beatles recorded three takes of Helter Skelter, which were essentially rehearsals; they lasted 10'40", 12'35" and 27'11" respectively. An edited mix of take two was released on 1996's Anthology 3.

I'd LOVE to hear those.

proggg
11-30-2012, 09:24 PM
If you want recordings of old Tangerine Dream cathedral shows hunt down the Tangerine Tree series of unofficial bootlegs. Although these are unofficial releases they were sanctioned by Mr Froese and there some unbelievable recordings in mostly superb quality. The entire series was 92 albums I think and nearly 300 hours of material. There was also the Tangerine Leaves series which was another large collection of bits and pieces but well worth finding. These were all fairly easy to find with a bit of web searching.

N_Singh
11-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Yeah I heard this a couple years ago when it was "unearthed". But there was a lot going on during that phase in their career. What's New Mary Jane was one example that was released on the Anthology series. I'm sure there's more...

Yeah, I heard some of this, including *Get Back* with the following lyric: "so-and-so was a Pakistani, get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged".

Lovely, ain't it? Fuck you, Paulie! Did you have an *Enoch Powell period*, too? :(

Beebfader
12-01-2012, 05:16 AM
If you want recordings of old Tangerine Dream cathedral shows hunt down the Tangerine Tree series of unofficial bootlegs. Although these are unofficial releases they were sanctioned by Mr Froese and there some unbelievable recordings in mostly superb quality. The entire series was 92 albums I think and nearly 300 hours of material. There was also the Tangerine Leaves series which was another large collection of bits and pieces but well worth finding. These were all fairly easy to find with a bit of web searching.

Thanks, yes I was aware of the TT, in fact several of the better recordings came from my tapes :-) I'm currently working behind the scenes with the guy who is restoring them on behalf of Esoteric for future bootleg boxes. Some of the TT recordings were processed to death, so he's trying to find folks like me with good old straight well preserved cassettes so he can do the job again properly... really I was just bemoaning the fact that any of this is necessary, and those cathedral recordings are heartbreakingly poor unfortunately.

It seems that Chris Franke was the band archivist, and that after his seemingly less than amicable split from the band, has had the tapes ever since, and what will he care now that he is a big Hollywood composer ? I think it's disappointing that Edgar Froese has kept up the pretense all these years of having his own archive of classic era recordings, whilst providing no evidence to support this.

I would recommend the forthcoming Esoteric Bootleg Boxes anyway... the best you're ever likely to hear unless anyone can persuade Herr Franke to check those old crates ;-)

Kim Olesen
12-01-2012, 05:49 AM

Lots of stuff. The full Hollywood Bowl concerts from 64 and 65. The original version of Revolution. The long version Helter Skelter. Carnival Of Light. Later takes of That Means A Lot. The version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps that was between the released demo and the album version with Clapton on lead. The long version of Something. The first version of I Should Have Known Better etc etc etc

Kim Olesen
12-01-2012, 05:53 AM

There is still doubt that this is a fake. For one thing it does not fitbthe describtion of it from Mark Lewisohns studio sessions book. And he is one of the few people in the world who has actually heard it.

Kim Olesen
12-01-2012, 05:54 AM
There is also some ok versions of The Beatles doing All Things Must Pass.

LeFrog
12-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Isn't there a 12" mix of Its Gonna Get Better ? Not That this is a great prize...but for those of us that want it all....

Yes, the 12" versions of Mama and It's Gonna Get Better are longer than the album versions. They are not remixes but the original recordings before they were edited down for the album. I didn't include them because they have appeared on 3" and 5" CD singles.

Yes it's that version of Twilight Alehouse, which also appeared on the B-side of the I Know What I Like single.

It's yourself: originally didn't fade out, ended with a swirling synth line that gradually slowed down to play the first five notes of Mad Man Moon. This ending has always been removed from all subsequent releases of the song.

Submarine: apparently the original master tape was damaged towards the end of the song, so on Archive 2, they duplicated the middle part of the song and tacked it at the end, with a fade out. The song originally had a clean ending, which you can hear on the 76-82 box set, except that version has been remixed.

John Doe
12-01-2012, 12:29 PM
I never came across the material Hendrix and the experience recorded with Hanson and Karlsson, it still rest in the vaults of silence records.
the drums duo combined with Jimmy and Bo sounds incredible in my mind

Mister Triscuits
12-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I heard some of this, including *Get Back* with the following lyric: "so-and-so was a Pakistani, get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged".

Lovely, ain't it? Fuck you, Paulie! Did you have an *Enoch Powell period*, too? :(

In fact, the same day they played the "No Pakistanis" version of "Get Back," Paul had led the band in a song making fun of Enoch Powell. This puts it in some context:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwdrc_RtHto

It's also obvious from this that Paul hadn't written any real lyrics yet and was just making this up off the top of his head, riffing on what was in the headlines at the time. (The UK was in the middle of the conference of Commonwealth countries to discuss proposals for "repatriation" of Indian & Pakistani immigrants.) Do you think George, with his newfound love of Indian culture--and who was already fed up with the Beatles and Paul in particular, and would walk out on the band the next day-- would have stood for it if Paul were really taking a swipe at Pakistanis?

Trane
12-01-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm actually interested in the Wish you were here stuff, especially the live versions.

Well, the boxset gave the Crazy Diamond (minus the Dicj Pary Sesction), Dogs and Sheeps... pretty interesting

I'd be definitely for early and mid-70's Floyd (despite that I've already got a bunch of boots), though I have heard some concerts of the DSOTMtour where they sound like a blues band (and not a good one at that, too)

I think there is probably a ton of stuff. As a Genesis live obsessive, there are endless full concerts on multi track tapes that have never seen an official release, along with all of the BBC sessions.

Not an obsessive hunter anymore... a lot of my thirst had been quenched with some boots and the green boxsets bonus DVDs

I'd definitely be up for more Soft stuff (got a lot of stuff, all legit), including some more French TV stuff that Steve has given up on, because the fuckheads are asking disgusting prices
Edit: I see Steve posted on this before I answered.

timmy
12-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I picked up the Asia 30th Anniversary box set from Japan and the 1982 tour 16mm footage is PRICELESS. It appears to be from Steve Howe and it shows the band performing onstage (shot from about 6-8 feet away from Steve and behind Carl's drum set), traveling on planes and in limos, it pretty killer even if it isn't the greatest quality. Pus, there is the Pine Knob concert from 1983.

I know, I know. Some of you aren't Asia fans. But for those that are - check it out. The material is not included on the US version of the box set that will be released on Dec 20th.

Edit for link: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VQBD-10112

bondegezou
12-02-2012, 01:22 PM
I picked up the Asia 30th Anniversary box set from Japan and the 1982 tour 16mm footage is PRICELESS. It appears to be from Steve Howe and it shows the band performing onstage (shot from about 6-8 feet away from Steve and behind Carl's drum set), traveling on planes and in limos, it pretty killer even if it isn't the greatest quality. Pus, there is the Pine Knob concert from 1983.

I know, I know. Some of you aren't Asia fans. But for those that are - check it out. The material is not included on the US version of the box set that will be released on Dec 20th.

Annoying that this is only available in one market in a large and expensive combo, when the band could simply have released the documentary + this material in a standalone DVD.

Henry

Fracktured
12-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Neil Kernon is sitting on about 10 hours worth of unreleased recordings they made in NYC.There's got to be something good in there to release, you'd think.

Rick

timmy
12-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Annoying that this is only available in one market in a large and expensive combo, when the band could simply have released the documentary + this material in a standalone DVD.

Henry

Only Time Will Tell... ba-da-boomp... pishhhhh! (sorry, couldn't resist)

Maybe it will find it's way to another collection or worse yet YT. It is truly shocking how much is readily available on YT these days.

There is a live show from Montreal 1983 up there already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5745_iV7AEo

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 01:38 PM
I'd enjoy hearing that ambient thingy that PF apparently did alongside 'Division Bell.'

Say wha?!!!! Never heard of this. I'd love to hear it!

happytheman
12-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Say wha?!!!! Never heard of this. I'd love to hear it!
Think it was / is available on the Tree Full of Secrets multi disc release.

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Never heard of that. Thanks, Happy! :up

bill g
12-03-2012, 08:57 PM

Yes, I have this on vinyl. The live version of the song on Archives vol. 2 is the same extended version, done live.

Tony Banks once admitted to having craploads of unreleased material, he writes a lot of stuff. Whether these compositions have been actually recorded I don't think has been discussed. The interviewer who Tony admitted this to was stupid enough to ignore the comment in favor of something meaningless.

bondegezou
12-04-2012, 04:07 AM
Tony Banks once admitted to having craploads of unreleased material, he writes a lot of stuff. Whether these compositions have been actually recorded I don't think has been discussed. The interviewer who Tony admitted this to was stupid enough to ignore the comment in favor of something meaningless.

I think most artists have numerous ideas/demos lying around. Whether they're any good or not is another matter. Steve Howe has his Homebrew series of releases of such material and while often interesting from a historical perspective, you don't want to listen again and again to many of the pieces... but then a few gems do emerge as well. I presume something like Homebrew or Greg Lake's From The Underground or Jon Anderson's The Lost Tapes would be possible for most artists.

Henry

Henry

ca1ore
12-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Yes, I have this on vinyl. The live version of the song on Archives vol. 2 is the same extended version, done live.

If memory serves, Banks was referring to the fact that he has continued to write songs, but then done nothing with them - so neither recorded nor released.

Even though they have a pretty extensive live catalog, I still think it is a shame that they have never broadly released full concerts from the 70s and 80s. I suspect a lot of people would buy them.

arturs
12-04-2012, 10:31 AM
[/URL]

Just this morning I was watching the Asia in Asia show. As good as AiA is, it had me thinking "wouldn't it be great if there was a full concert video of the original lineup from 82 or 83". Is that what the Pine Knob release is? Pro-shot?

arturs
12-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Another one I've been wondering about is whether the full video exists of the Jethro Tull Slipstream concert. It seems like a great show but God I hate those proto-MTV videos!

Mister Triscuits
12-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Another one I've been wondering about is whether the full video exists of the Jethro Tull Slipstream concert.

Although the video implies that the footage is from the Hammersmith Odeon, it was really taped at the Los Angeles Sports Arena. Tull played two shows there. I've read that the material used was from the second night, but I was there the first night, and there were definitely video cameras onstage. I can tell you that at least the version of "Heavy Horses" that made the video is not the one I saw. That first night version broke down after the opening instrumental section when Ian stepped up to the mic, strummed his guitar--and got no sound! Bet Ian was not a happy camper that night.

happytheman
12-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Never heard of that.
http://www.hokafloyd.com/CD2/ATFS/A_TREE_FULL_OF_SECRETS%20.htm

timmy
12-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Just this morning I was watching the Asia in Asia show. As good as AiA is, it had me thinking "wouldn't it be great if there was a full concert video of the original lineup from 82 or 83". Is that what the Pine Knob release is? Pro-shot?

The camera appears to be stationary at the soundboard. The picture is quite grainy and fuzzy but the audio is decent. It is similar to the Montreal footage on YT.

IIRC, MTV is sitting on pro-shot footage of the 1982 Detroit show which is a crime. We will surely never see that footage ever. It's a shame the band could not secure the rights to the material for release in the US box set released Dec. 20.

bRETT
12-06-2012, 11:47 AM

The long Revolution is probably a fake, but a really good fake. As is this oft-bootlegged version of Glass Onion with the mellotron solo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-GyZ7iAtz4

Dave (in MA)
12-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Another one I've been wondering about is whether the full video exists of the Jethro Tull Slipstream concert. It seems like a great show but God I hate those proto-MTV videos!
I kind of like those, but I would love to see a whole pro-shot 1980 show.
The Wikipedia article says that Slipstream was originally released on VHS and Laserdisc but I'm almost positive it was one of the first things that I rented when I got my first VCR, a Beta machine from NEC with a wired remote.

Dave (in MA)
12-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Although the video implies that the footage is from the Hammersmith Odeon, it was really taped at the Los Angeles Sports Arena.
This guy claims to have reconstructed the show using Slipstream and edited in lower-quality video footage from other sources.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrvANJ6XRGw