PDA

View Full Version : AVID Eleven GTR Processor

Supersonic Scientist
03-07-2014, 10:30 AM
So, I just replaced my old (and by old, I mean REAL old) ART SGX 1000 GTR processor with the AVID Eleven GTR processor.

Holy Poop, this thing sounds fantastic, one of the presets sounds EXACTLY like the GTR tone on RUSH's: Something for Nothing.

Do any other GTR players here have one of these? Please share your thoughts.

For the record:
I play in stereo with left going to a Pod XT LIVE into a Blackstar 60w 2-12 and the right now going to the AVID into a Yamaha 100w 1-12. Definately a punch in the gut now.

trurl
03-07-2014, 11:58 AM
The ART was a great box. If this is better, would be worth a serious look! Our guitar player recently said screw it and went back to stomp boxes. I think they're already becoming an addiction.

Mikhael
03-07-2014, 12:33 PM
The problem *I* have with these boxes is the inaccessability in realtime of the controls. A lot of times I'll be in a new room, or just changed guitars, and I want to increase the volume on clean sounds, or tweak the treble, etc., and it's a PITA to do on these things. You gotta scroll through 38 programs, use the data wheel, edit and save, blah, blah, blah.

So I use a simple two channel preamp, that gets switched by my t.c. electronics G-Major. I have MIDI control, AND simple analogue tweakability.

I gotta admit, some of these newfangled things sound great. I use them myself for rehearsals and such, but I just like the simplicity (and TONE) of my Pearce...

Supersonic Scientist
03-07-2014, 01:08 PM
The ART was a great box. If this is better, would be worth a serious look! Our guitar player recently said screw it and went back to stomp boxes. I think they're already becoming an addiction.

After owning the ART SGX for some 23 years, I can strongly state and defend that this sounds SO MUCH better. Remember, the SGX was really only an effects processor (no amp/cab simulation) where-as this unit (and MANY other new items) DO have amp/cab simulation. BIG ADDITION. I will still keep the SGX because I have a beautiful patch that is perfect for the "Soon" section of Awaken (Not that I'll ever be in a band that would cover that masterpiece)

nosebone
03-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Our guitar player recently said screw it and went back to stomp boxes. I think they're already becoming an addiction.

:D That's what I did a couple of years ago.

I definitely have pedal fever!

Supersonic Scientist
03-08-2014, 09:03 AM
Our guitar player recently said screw it and went back to stomp boxes. I think they're already becoming an addiction.

I do still have several of my original pedals: Big Muff (still in the original box), MXR 10-band EQ, Mu-tron III, MXR Micro Amp. They are packed up and in storage. (sadly though, I had many more vintage pdeals but a severe flood in 1991 wiped out many pedals (and a few GTRs too)

03-08-2014, 09:15 AM
Pedals are a sickness, for sure. ;)
I have a couple of pedals on my board that I use for 30 seconds in one song, but I have to have that sound for that song! :cool

No Pride
03-08-2014, 12:11 PM
I've been through it all, from pedalboards to rackmount multi-effects units, back to pedalboards. These days, I use the Line 6 M13, their "virtual pedalboard." When you get to be my age, you start to prefer convenience over ultimate tone. :)

The problem *I* have with these boxes is the inaccessability in realtime of the controls. A lot of times I'll be in a new room, or just changed guitars, and I want to increase the volume on clean sounds, or tweak the treble, etc., and it's a PITA to do on these things. You gotta scroll through 38 programs, use the data wheel, edit and save...
The cool thing about the M13 is that it works more like a bunch of analog pedals with knobs. It "remembers" what you set the respective knobs to, so you don't have to "save" anything; everything's exactly where you last left it when you power it up and it's as easy as ever to tweak on the fly. No menus either, just parameter knobs like regular pedals. The thing that sold me on the unit is that you can route some effects of your choice to the amp's effects loop and other ones to the front of the amp. I'll admit, most of these digital models of analog effects don't sound exactly like the real thing, but they're close enough. And in a couple of cases (like the ProCo Rat model), I like it better than the real thing (which I have, gathering dust in my closet)!

Pedalboards can be problematic with stuff like Velcro unsticking, ground buzz, battery changing or multiple wall warts and trying to trace a short through a dozen cables. I don't miss that stuff at all.

http://www.line6.com/m13/

Mikhael
03-10-2014, 09:09 AM
Pedalboards can be problematic with stuff like Velcro unsticking, ground buzz, battery changing or multiple wall warts and trying to trace a short through a dozen cables. I don't miss that stuff at all.

http://www.line6.com/m13/

I don't have the velcro problem; everything's screwed down on my pedalboards (I have two - a "direct" rig, with acoustic and electric processing meant to go direct into a PA, and a real amp rig). The advantage of my pedals is that it only takes the touch of one button to go from a dry screaming lead to a clean chorused w/echo sound. I just got SO tired of trying to tap dance on several pedals while trying to play. No battery changes, no ground buzz.

Now, I *DO* have to occasionally have to chase down a bad cable, but not very often. The odd thing about my pedalboards is that it's a weird mix of programmable digital FX, and old-fashioned analogue two-channel amp.

No Pride
03-10-2014, 02:51 PM
I don't have the velcro problem; everything's screwed down on my pedalboards (I have two - a "direct" rig, with acoustic and electric processing meant to go direct into a PA, and a real amp rig). The advantage of my pedals is that it only takes the touch of one button to go from a dry screaming lead to a clean chorused w/echo sound. I just got SO tired of trying to tap dance on several pedals while trying to play.
Yeah, I hear that!

It's strange; as my musical situations change over the years, so does my gear. When I had my own original material band (Bad Dog U) and we were playing in clubs, I used (what is still) my favorite rig: VHT stereo tube power amp, Egnater 4 channel MIDI switchable tube preamp, TC Electronics G-Force, Ground Control MIDI floorboard and two Bogner cabinets. Not only did that setup sound huge, but I had programmed all the kind of stuff you're talking about, switching channels, turning some effects off and other ones on all with one tap of the foot. For the gigs I do nowadays (the majority of which I fly to), that rig is completely impractical. Without going into the details of why, I'll just say that I'm back to tap dancing again. I certainly don't prefer it, but I have gotten somewhat used to it again.

Soc Prof
03-27-2014, 04:43 PM

Did he use these on Ode to Echo? Or was that album recorded with the same Line 6 Pod HD + Native Instruments combo as Perilous? Whatever he used, his tone is killer.

trurl
03-27-2014, 05:28 PM
Thanks! O2E was about half Guitar Rig and half Line 6. It's convenient but he's very over that set-up. Next album is boxes and amps and mics :D