PDA

View Full Version : The 2012 NFL Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Facelift
11-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Because this needs to take place on the main board, and not in PM enclaves.

Sean
11-04-2012, 12:46 AM
That's the beauty of 3.0, all those non musical subjects don't have to "hide" anymore. :up

NogbadTheBad
11-04-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm IN.

polmico
11-04-2012, 08:35 AM
RedZone, beer and lamb chops. Gotta love Sunday!

Vic2012
11-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Because this needs to take place on the main board, and not in PM enclaves.

That's cool. The private football threads just never worked for me.

Anyway, I have a good feeling about my Dolphins this year (barring any serious injuries). We're far from being good or great, but I could see us going 10-6 this year. Maybe I'm a little over confident but I've been impressed with the defense and our rookie QB.

Scott Bails
11-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Hey, look! It's Vic! And now he doesn't have to drop out! ;)

Vic2012
11-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Isn't this cool Scott? Now I don't have to see that annoying, yellow message anymore. We can come and go as we please. Anyway, sorry about all the drama surrounding your Eagles. I think Vick is done after this year. I know it's not all his fault, but I think you'll see some changes next season. I could see Andy Reid getting canned too.

Scott Bails
11-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Isn't this cool Scott? Now I don't have to see that annoying, yellow message anymore. We can come and go as we please. Anyway, sorry about all the drama surrounding your Eagles. I think Vick is done after this year. I know it's not all his fault, but I think you'll see some changes next season. I could see Andy Reid getting canned too.

No reason to be sorry, my friend. I'm looking forward to the removal of Vick, Reid, Mornhinwheg, and just about everyone else involved in this regime.

As they're saying around here, I have "Reid Fatigue." :(

Huh. Just noticed that when you change your avatar that it changes your posts in the past, as well - not just your future posts.

Vic2012
11-04-2012, 05:55 PM
FFffffuck. The Dolphins lost. Shit!. The Colts are as good as the Dolphins. This game exactley the way I envisioned it. Fuck!

Scott Bails
11-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Andrew Luck just went off today.

NogbadTheBad
11-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Doug Martin - 250 yards rushing and 4 TD's. Wow.

polmico
11-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Dammit Giants. Just dammit.

Chuck AzEee!
11-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Bummer of a loss. I'm in this thread as well.

Scott Bails
11-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Dammit Giants. Just dammit.

Sure, the one time I want Eli to pull out a last-minute victory, he doesn't do it. :mad

NogbadTheBad
11-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Bengals season going south in a hurry.

IMWeasel
11-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Giants lost a game, does this mean Coughlin is gonna get fired and Eli should be traded? :lol

Hunnibee
11-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Go Niners! :cool

Scott Bails
11-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm only casually watching this Cowboys/Falcons game, but they just put up a stat that the Falcons haven't pressured Romo at all. I mean like, NO sacks, NO hurries, NO knock-downs - NOTHING.

And he put up all of 6 points in the first half. :roll

Adrian
11-05-2012, 12:07 AM
In (for now). Go Packers. This team is shaping up to be like the injury-riddled 2010 squad. The more banged-up we got, the better we played. Go figure.

I had the misfortune of being at the infamous Fail Mary/Inaccurate Reception game. It's awkward being a Packers fan around Seattle these days ...

Vic2012
11-05-2012, 07:25 AM
Andrew Luck just went off today.

I just heard a stat on Mike & Mike this morning about Andrew Luck. Andrew and Peyton Manning both have thrown for the exact amount of yardage so far this year, and both are 5-3. That would be a hell of a playoff game to see these two duke it out.

Uh, yeah I was a little overconfidant about the Dolphins. I think 8-8 is more realistic, maybe 7-9. Yesterday was the 3rd game they lost on a field goal. Well, we're hanging in there. I just hope we don't completely tank it. It's been a while since we've felt good about this team down here.

Facelift
11-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Giants lost a game, does this mean Coughlin is gonna get fired and Eli should be traded? :lol

I thought this one was pretty easy to see coming. This was the prototype of a game that the Giants always lose. They'll probably slaughter Cincinnati on the road next week.

proggrl
11-05-2012, 12:43 PM
WOOHOO! Go Pats!

3LockBox
11-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Go Seahawks. Actually, the Lions seems to have pulled their heads out of their ass, but time will tell.

The Seahawks can look so good at home and so mediocre on the road. Yeah sure, if they're lucky enough to get into the playoffs, they'll prolly play on the road, but at least we seem to have key players in place. Detroit owns the tie-breaker with Seattle, if they finish the season with identical records, if either one is within sniffin distance of the playoffs. Atlanta is better, Chicago is better, Greenbay is better, SF is better, the Giants are better (referring to other NFC teams). If Dallas, Philly, Washington, Detroit and New Orleans continue to underachieve...

Lou
11-05-2012, 05:47 PM
Sure, the one time I want Eli to pull out a last-minute victory, he doesn't do it. :mad

I thought you would be happy that Pittsburgh beat a division rival.

mpoll
11-05-2012, 06:32 PM
In (for now). Go Packers. This team is shaping up to be like the injury-riddled 2010 squad. The more banged-up we got, the better we played. Go figure.

I had the misfortune of being at the infamous Fail Mary/Inaccurate Reception game. It's awkward being a Packers fan around Seattle these days ...

Fellow Cheesehead in Washington: When I'm being ribbed by Seaduck fans about the "Fail Mary", I just bring up the Matt Hasselbeck line from the 2003 Playoff OT coin toss ("We want the ball and we're gonna score.") right before he threw the pick-six to Al Harris. They get real quiet and leave me alone after that....

Scott Bails
11-05-2012, 09:44 PM
I thought you would be happy that Pittsburgh beat a division rival.

Typically I would - my favorite teams are the Eagles and whoever is beating the shit out of the Giants - but I picked the Giants in my pool.

Adrian
11-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Fellow Cheesehead in Washington: When I'm being ribbed by Seaduck fans about the "Fail Mary", I just bring up the Matt Hasselbeck line from the 2003 Playoff OT coin toss ("We want the ball and we're gonna score.") right before he threw the pick-six to Al Harris. They get real quiet and leave me alone after that....

Haaaaaa! I'd forgotten about that magic Hasselbeck moment. :) I'm gonna have to try that out the next time I get guff from anyone.

3LockBox
11-05-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm watching MNF - dear gawd Philly is an undisciplined bunch. That throwback play on the kickoff return was an awesomely designed, and the dumbass throwing the ball forgets to throw it backward. Gruden pointing out that Vick didn't audible out of a mismatch in protection... I feel for ya Philly fan.

Scott Bails
11-05-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm watching MNF - dear gawd Philly is an undisciplined bunch. That throwback play on the kickoff return was an awesomely designed, and the dumbass throwing the ball forgets to throw it backward. Gruden pointing out that Vick didn't audible out of a mismatch in protection... I feel for ya Philly fan.

I'm tellin' ya, Andy Reid sucks.

People around the country still seem to believe this fatass is a good coach, but he's not. He's terrible. And worse than that, he's arrogant. He doesn't learn from his many, many mistakes that he makes over and over and over.

This team will never get better until he's gone.

I know, I keep beating the same drum, and I sound like a broken record, but I'm pissed. I'm sick of watching this team underachieve. I'm sick of them making the same mistakes. I'm sick of the same stupid decisions - the old "doing the same thing while expecting different results." I'm angry. I'm frustrated. The solution has been obvious for years, and yet here we are, about to be 3-5, scoring 13 points against the worst defensive team in the league, during a week where all of the division rivals lost. A great opportunity wasted.

I'm at my wits' end.

NogbadTheBad
11-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Im a Seahawks fan and can't see us doing anything this year

3LockBox
11-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Im a Seahawks fan and can't see us doing anything this year

I think we'll make it interesting, but losing to teams like Detroit and Arizona and looking terrible while we're at it...

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Giants lost a game, does this mean Coughlin is gonna get fired :lol4 out of 5 Gnats fans agree ;)

NogbadTheBad
11-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Weird thing - I'm in Hawaii on vacation so I tuned in to watch the game at 7pm and it was already over

Klonk
11-06-2012, 01:58 AM
I'd just like to thank Philly for making the Giants loss less irritating.

MudShark22
11-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Back for more trouble!
Vikes are now looking like the team I though they were in the preseason.
No Denny Green "off the hook" comments please! :lol

Facelift
11-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Back for more trouble!
Vikes are now looking like the team I though they were in the preseason.
No Denny Green "off the hook" comments please! :lol

The Vikings are currently a home underdog this week to... Detroit? I don't understand this one. Did anybody get injured last week?

Arkangel3
11-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm in this thread too! Here, alive, well, rooting for my beloved Giants.

Gerhard
11-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Go Packers. This team is shaping up to be like the injury-riddled 2010 squad.

I was thinking (and hoping) this as well. They are certainly not playing up to their potential yet, even during this recent win streak (except for the Houston game), but as they showed in 2010 (and as the Giants showed last year, much to my disappointment), it's important to peak at the right time - during the playoffs (if you're fortunate enough to make it there, which both teams BARELY did).

I just noticed that the Packers have beaten two of the three teams with one or less losses (i.e., Houston and Chicago each have only one loss, both to Green Bay). I kind of wish we had Atlanta on the reg season schedule.

MudShark22
11-06-2012, 02:57 PM
The Vikings are currently a home underdog this week to... Detroit? I don't understand this one. Did anybody get injured last week?

Vikes were 3-1 (undeserved in this fan's opinion) and are now 5-4. While their home record is good (4-1); only the Saints and Redskins have allowed more points in the NFC and the Vikes run defense is rather suspect. Couple that with a "less than clicking" passing game, spells .500 for me.

If the Vikes can shore up the run defense; then the playoffs are possible. But otherwise, its just gonna be another pick between #10-16 in next years draft.

NogbadTheBad
11-06-2012, 02:57 PM
The Vikings are currently a home underdog this week to... Detroit? I don't understand this one. Did anybody get injured last week?Yeah I'm picking Vikings over Lions in that one.

polmico
11-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Some talk today of Ponder being benched. I'll take Lions who might have found a running game last week.

Jubal
11-07-2012, 05:58 AM
Who wants to predict the first team to beat the Falcons this season? They may not appear to be a dominant team, but they are still 8-0. Easy schedule? No doubt. The Bears should be tough.
The major factor with the Falcons is they are not playing stupid. Look at their turnover and penalty stats.

Vic2012
11-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm posting from my phone :lol. When your team is bad they ain't supposed to turn the ball over. Shit!!!!

Scott Bails
11-11-2012, 03:16 PM
So...um...yeah...Eli Manning...

Scott Bails
11-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Who wants to predict the first team to beat the Falcons this season? They may not appear to be a dominant team, but they are still 8-0. Easy schedule? No doubt. The Bears should be tough.
The major factor with the Falcons is they are not playing stupid. Look at their turnover and penalty stats.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the Saints. ;)

Hobo Chang Ba
11-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm in for this.

Of course I probably shouldn't be with my team playing like total shit.

NogbadTheBad
11-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Go Bengals!!

Is Eli terrific and frustrating at the same time?

Vic2012
11-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Damn! What an embarrassing loss, at home no less. There goes my 10-6 season :lol. More like 6-10. Man we were flat as a pancake out there. FFFFfffffff....... !!!!!!!!!

Lou
11-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Does anyone want to win the NFC East?

IMWeasel
11-12-2012, 01:03 AM
WTF, a tie!! So weird, Ive never experienced this as a fan of a team that tied in football. :huh

IMWeasel
11-12-2012, 01:03 AM
So...um...yeah...Eli Manning...

To be fair, he's won 2 super bowls. :lol

Vic2012
11-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Does anyone want to win the NFC East?

That division is pretty mediocre, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants win that div. Something happens to the Giants when they get in the playoffs, they usually beat all their opponents. They're still the defending champs. They'll lose some regular season games during the dog days of the season, and they'll get into the playoffs. You'll see. I could see them beating Atlanta in the playoffs. The 49ers, otoh may stop them. I don't think Harbaugh will allow a repeat of last year. Regardless, I'll be rooting against the Giants in the playoffs.

Klonk
11-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Its par for the course for the Giants to go through a mid-season slump. I'm not worrying...yet.

Scott Bails
11-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Yeah, the Giants will win the NFC East by default.

3LockBox
11-12-2012, 01:01 PM
If only Seattle could play well on the road... I guess we'll see how they handle the remaining schedule. 8-8 isn't going to cut it.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-12-2012, 07:06 PM
To be fair, he's won 2 super bowls. :lol

well... the last one anyway... the other was given to him by the refs

Klonk
11-13-2012, 10:28 AM

Are all Cowboy fans 12?

Poisoned Youth
11-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Are all Cowboy fans 12?

Now you'll appreciate me even more. :lol

NogbadTheBad
11-13-2012, 01:16 PM

Are all Cowboy fans 12?
Well the refs gave the Steelers one against the Seahawks (still angry about that game)

Klonk
11-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Now you'll appreciate me even more. :lol

:lol no doubt.

I have to say, if Romo can knock it off with the untimely turnovers, that team of yours is actually quite good. Especially on D. Makes me nervous.

Chuck AzEee!
11-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Ahhh Typical Jets bulls...! Undeserving of this mess is Tim Tebow, whom has been nothing but his saintly self, but the Jet management has managed to let the team fall apart. I might love this team, but I'm fed up with this crap! And the Giants are a tired team, getting it handed to them in these past few games.

NogbadTheBad
11-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Yeah but the Giants have a habit of waking up come playoff time whereas the Jets are just inept.

Chuck AzEee!
11-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah but the Giants have a habit of waking up come playoff time whereas the Jets are just inept. This Giants team is not as talented as past years, but yes they are know harrowing comebacks.

And as for the Jets... In the infamous words of WFAN Sports Radio Host Joe Benigno "WHAT A DISGRACE!"

Scott Bails
11-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Ahhh Typical Jets bulls...! Undeserving of this mess is Tim Tebow, whom has been nothing but his saintly self, but the Jet management has managed to let the team fall apart. I might love this team, but I'm fed up with this crap! And the Giants are a tired team, getting it handed to them in these past few games.

Undeserving? :O

Okay, he might be a nice guy, but he SUCKS as a QB. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to be his teammate.

Progmatic
11-14-2012, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=Klonk;4920 if Romo can knock it off with the untimely turnovers, that team of yours is actually quite good.[/QUOTE]

Romo needs just better protection. Cowboys offensive line is inconsistent. I do not think there is more hunted QB than Romo and that where things go wrong despite that Romo is one of the best QBs on the move.

3LockBox
11-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Jimmy Johnson said the Cowboys are being run like a country club.

They have the talent on both sides of the ball (IMO) but are a complacent bunch of rich guys who'll get paid regardless of how they underperform. And with megalomaniac Jerry Johnson running everything, they'll never get anywhere.

Scott Bails
11-14-2012, 03:57 PM
I do not think there is more hunted QB than Romo

Huh?

I don't get this at all.

I'd think that Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Manning would be more hunted.

'Cause they're, y'know, good.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Well the refs gave the Steelers one against the Seahawks (still angry about that game)

yup... but you'll never hear a fan of the winning team admit a thing about an unearned win now will you?

http://youtu.be/uHTTfx0GPDY

NogbadTheBad
11-15-2012, 04:14 PM
yup... but you'll never hear a fan of the winning team admit a thing about an unearned win now will you?

http://youtu.be/uHTTfx0GPDYNeither would I expect to, that's not the fans job :)

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Neither would I expect to, that's not the fans job :):lol egg zachary

Klonk
11-15-2012, 07:20 PM

:lol:lol unearned? Because there was holding going on in the last quarter of a Super Bowl game that wasn't called? Do you watch many Super Bowls? Well...we all know you don't watch Super Bowls with Dallas in them, but do you watch? Whatever man...these Super Bowl victories are a lot of fun. Maybe one day, when Jerry Jones figures out that a really, really, really jumbo, jumbo-tron doesn't win you games, you'll see what I mean.

Sorry Cozy :lol

Scott Bails
11-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Man, I have no idea why people hate Giants fans so much. :roll

:p;)

UnephenStephen
11-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Just noticed that when you change your avatar that it changes your posts in the past, as well - not just your future posts.unfortunately, the signature doesn't work the same way. when i added mine, it didn't affect previous posts - just new ones.

UnephenStephen
11-15-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't think Harbaugh will allow a repeat of last year. that's what they were saying about this years regular season game - the one in which the Giants pummeled the 49'ers.

UnephenStephen
11-15-2012, 09:58 PM

:p;)geez, here we go.. you mean everybody as in you :roll

Scott Bails
11-15-2012, 10:02 PM
I was joking - hence the emoticons.

Klonk knows I was joking.

UnephenStephen
11-15-2012, 10:22 PM

Klonk knows I was joking.i don't know.. didn't you say the same thing in the PM on the old site?

NogbadTheBad
11-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Giants are kind of my third team after the Seahawks and Patriots. Don't know why but I've always had a soft spot for them.

Joe F.
11-15-2012, 10:38 PM

I must be the exception then. ;) I'm a Seahawks fan and I admit that was a blown call and we should have lost that game. We've still beat the Pats, Vikings and Cowboys though. No controversy there. :)

NogbadTheBad
11-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Oh I'm a Seahawks fan and that was a horrible call. We'll take the win, we are more than due a break.

Klonk
11-15-2012, 10:53 PM

Klonk knows I was joking.

Yep. Bails enjoys pushing my buttons and it's all good even if it gets me riled up :lol. What I can't stand is the whiny, bitter, conspiracy bullshit. That's what littered LP's little NFL thread and why I split and jumped in a much more enjoyable one.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-15-2012, 11:11 PM

:p;)simply baffling :roll

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-15-2012, 11:14 PM
Oh I'm a Seahawks fan and that was a horrible call. We'll take the winbut the Steelers got the win that year...

Joe F.
11-15-2012, 11:18 PM
but the Steelers got the win that year...

We're talking about the Green Bay-Seattle game earlier this year. Or at least I am. ;)

Vic2012
11-16-2012, 04:38 AM
I think The Bills only showed us how mediocre (bad) they are last night. They moved the ball at will against the Dolphins horrible defense and they only scored 19 points (and 2 scores were off a turnover and a punt return). I only saw the first half but the score was 19-7 when the half ended. I was expecting another embarrassing blowout. Man do the Dolphins look lost out there. It's like all that momentum we had just got killed after that embarrassing blowout last week. Well, we're the Dolphins after all. We're rebuilding (if it's any consolation) :p.

Regarding Giants fans (I know you're joking Scott): From my south Florida (the 6th borough) perspective, they're nice, well-mannered, and smarter than your average Jets, or Knicks fan :lol. Seriously, I can count the number of Giants fans I've met in 29 years here on one hand. Now Jets fans ....... Oy :p

moecurlythanu
11-16-2012, 11:06 AM
The NFL Network seems to be putting the dog games on Thursday night lately.

Facelift
11-16-2012, 11:47 AM
The NFL Network seems to be putting the dog games on Thursday night lately.

The Thursday night NFL network TV package is not intended to broadcast good games. The NFL knew that they could get a pretty good rating on whatever game they threw up there on Thursday night. Dolphins/Bills will do a better number nationally - even if it's on a cable channel -- than the same game would do on Sunday in the local markets. Meaningful games do happen, though, because it's hard to determine, before the season starts, whether or not a team will be good.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-16-2012, 01:51 PM
The Thursday night NFL network TV package is not intended to broadcast good games. ... Meaningful games do happen, though, because it's hard to determine, before the season starts, whether or not a team will be good.thurs after thanxgiv is Falcons Saints

Scott Bails
11-16-2012, 01:54 PM
The Thursday night NFL network TV package is not intended to broadcast good games. The NFL knew that they could get a pretty good rating on whatever game they threw up there on Thursday night. Dolphins/Bills will do a better number nationally - even if it's on a cable channel -- than the same game would do on Sunday in the local markets. Meaningful games do happen, though, because it's hard to determine, before the season starts, whether or not a team will be good.

I think I read (maybe on this thread on the old forum) that the NFL scheduled the Thursday games in such a way so that every team had a chance to play on national TV, but didn't prioritize the matchups on their own network, for reasons Facelift points out.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-16-2012, 05:16 PM
I havent checked to see if this is the case but it would be no less than fair if all 32 teams had a thurs game during the season

Scott Bails
11-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Well, no, that's not what they're doing, as I understand it.

The point is to give each team at least one national game - not necessarily one Thursday game.

Hobo Chang Ba
11-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Can't think off the top of my head but I do believe every team does appear on a thursday (count dallas and detriot and whoever they play on thanksgiving, as well as the night game). There may be one or two that falls through the cracks...though its hard for me to think of a team that appears twice on a thursday.

But still...scott is right. Nationally televisioned was the "rule" implimented.

Vic2012
11-18-2012, 06:37 PM
The EAGLES are done! Man do they suck! Sorry Scott. Your Eagles are as bad as the Dolphins.

Scott Bails
11-18-2012, 08:51 PM
The EAGLES are done! Man do they suck! Sorry Scott. Your Eagles are as bad as the Dolphins.

Nah, man, they're worse. At least the Phins have Tannehill.

Hobo Chang Ba
11-18-2012, 10:41 PM
The browns...piss. Just piss when it counts.

At least the jax/hou game was quite exciting.

Vic2012
11-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Man, how about those ugly, bumblebee uni's the Steelers wore last night? At least if the pants were black the color scheme would make more sense. But black and yellow, horizontal stripes with tan pants? Yeesh!

Vic2012
11-19-2012, 09:48 AM
Nah, man, they're worse. At least the Phins have Tannehill.

To be honest, Yannehill is starting to look average. Maybe he's just settling in and the opponents have caught up with him. But the Dolphins have a lot of other problems. No running game, no big play, wide receivers, and the defense hasn't lived up to its reputation recently. I never quite understood why Reggie Bush was benched a couple of games ago. Okay, he fumbled. Every running back fumbles once in a while. Tannehill threw a couple picks in the same game and he didn't get benched. I understand that Joe Philben is a "disciplinarian" and all that but he benched his best offensive weapon. Well, he's the head coach and I'm just a fan ;).

IMWeasel
11-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Niners come back after that weird tie and make a statement! Also looks like we've got a QB controversy on our hands.

Also Bears fans look at the bright side, at least Cutler didnt commit any turnovers!

DaleGtr
11-20-2012, 04:00 AM
Niners come back after that weird tie and make a statement! Also looks like we've got a QB controversy on our hands.

Also Bears fans look at the bright side, at least Cutler didnt commit any turnovers!

UGH! What a game! The 49ers kicked our butts on both sides of the ball. If you didn't know better you'd think it was Campbell making his first start ever and Kaepernick the seasoned vet. 49ers in the NFC championship game for sure IMO.

Scott Bails
11-20-2012, 08:13 AM
Also looks like we've got a QB controversy on our hands.

Yeah, Harbaugh really stepped in that, didn't he?

Although, the kid did look really, really good.

strawberrybrick
11-20-2012, 08:40 AM
UGH! What a game! The 49ers kicked our butts on both sides of the ball. 49ers in the NFC championship game for sure IMO.

When Mike Martz was OC, what was the biggest complaint? The O line. Who was their coach? Mike Tice. Sorry Minnesota fans, but Tice is not getting the job done. For all the talent the Bears have (Marshall, Forte, Bush, Jeffery, Bennett), you can't possibly blame the O line for the lack of production of the Bears offense (though last nights game might make you feel otherwise). Tice is utterly clueless at what to do.

Also, da Bears entire recruiting staff should be sacked. Their O line picks are complete and utter duds. Webb, Carimi, Williams, none of these guys are worthy of the stars that are behind them. And what was that McClellin pick all about????!???!

Sack Tice immediately, hire the best OC you can find, and put Lovie on notice. Okay Emery? Bears finish 9-7 at best. Sad...

3LockBox
11-20-2012, 09:04 AM
A couple of thoughts:

How is it that the Bears looked so bad? Sure, Cutler is out, but so was Rothlesburger for Pittsburgh, and their defense didn't get pushed around the field. I'm sad that happened actually, because it lights a fire under them for their next game (Seattle).

And what's with Jim Harbaugh? Did anyone catch his post-game interview? If anyone should be sensitive to QB controversy, its Harbaugh - that guy spent a career getting second guessed and getting yanked for the "hot hand". What he's done as a coach is impressive, but what he says at pressers is very unimpressive.

Scott Bails
11-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I'm curious as to what Harbaugh says today now that he's created a QB controversy.

Facelift
11-20-2012, 09:21 AM
A couple of thoughts:

How is it that the Bears looked so bad? Sure, Cutler is out, but so was Rothlesburger for Pittsburgh, and their defense didn't get pushed around the field. I'm sad that happened actually, because it lights a fire under them for their next game (Seattle).

How did the Bears looks so bad vs. the Niners?

How did the Niners look so bad against the Giants? How did the Giants look so bad against Cincinnati? How did the Patriots looks so bad against Arizona? How did Houston look so bad against Jacksonville?

That's been the NFL for awhile now -- lots of parity. Much more than the records might indicate. Sometimes the best teams take weeks off mentally and get shown up by teams that didn't.

DaleGtr
11-20-2012, 09:48 AM
You raise some good points, Charles but let's take a step back. The offensive line has been sub-par for a while. A lot of that is on Jerry Angelo. However, we knew his drafting skills were on defense not offense before we hired him. I think in fairness to Angelo he was aware of this and sought to fill the holes in the line thru free agency. He actually had some success with Ruben Brown and John Tait, and some misses- Orlando Pace notably. Emery did a pretty good job of filling holes this off season but you can only do so much.

Also, Tice did a remarkable job pulling that pitiful offensive line together after an abominable start last year. He was having reasonable success again this year after a bad start, too. You never heard J.J. Watt's name last week and he did a great job of double teaming him. No sacks last week. This week, however....

That said, the o-line is still sub-par. Williams was a waste of a first round pick. Webb is a 7th round pick so, despite his obvious weakness at LT, his performance is not a major surprise. Carimi is turning into another waste of a first round pick. His play last night was pitiful! Yet, coming out of college he looked like a stud and there was hope that we had a starting right tackle for the next several years. (Ask Geezer- he watched Gabe at Wisconsin.) It's a huge IF but IF Williams and Carimi had worked out we would have been set for a while at tackle. Draft picks don't always work out, no matter the round. They just become more glaring when they are high round picks. It's not thru lack of effort but those two picks (Williams and Carimi) were costly and a big set back.

Now, I have major issues with Tice as an offensive co-ordinator. I know he is in his first year but each week I grow more frustrated with his play calling and game plan. He made decent adjustments recently (the aforementioned double team of Watt, for example) but had no answer for S.F.'s rush. It was just embarrassing! He knows the level of talent on his line and what they are going up against. Where are the adjustments??? Where are the screen passes that are designed to thwart an aggressive pass rush? Swing passes to the running back? Bubble screens? What has happened to the running game? Forte was something like 60% of our offense (or more) last year.

I'm not ready to throw Jason Campbell under the bus but I was not pleased with his performance. Of course, he had guys in the backfield almost all game but look what Kaepernick did- right from the get go! Harbaugh and his offensive coach called a great game. We DO have a great defense but they made us look silly. Now why can't Campbell come in and do the same thing? S.F. made it look EASY! I mean how hard could it be to throw some quick slants?

It's a team game and all must be held accountable- the offensive line, the defense, Campbell, the coaches. Almost every team has a stinker game each year where they get blown out for no good reason. However, this one had several good (bad?) reasons that are obvious. Fixing the offensive line is number one but that will have to wait until the draft and free agency. Tice has to get the offense going- and in the first half, not the fourth quarter! Martz was scoring points with his game design by this point last year. Say what you want about him (and I'm glad he's gone) but he was a lot better than Tice has proven to be so far.

strawberrybrick
11-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Emery did a pretty good job of filling holes this off season but you can only do so much.

Now, I have major issues with Tice as an offensive co-ordinator.

Almost every team has a stinker game each year where they get blown out for no good reason. Martz was scoring points with his game design by this point last year. Say what you want about him (and I'm glad he's gone) but he was a lot better than Tice has proven to be so far.

Okay, Marshall was a good move, Campbell, doesn't really matter, but Emery wasted his draft picks, especially if his motives were to "win a championship". Everyone knew the line was weak, and so his first pick was on a guy that's too small to play DT/DE, and never gonna fit in as a LB? Plus he promoted all the existing recruiting staff...

I'm just not going to drink the Bear Tea about Tice. He's never been that good a coach, and what the Bears need is a wizard OC that can maximize the so-called talent they have on offense to achieve the goal of Championships. What we saw last night was an old team, getting the shit knocked out of them by an ex-Bear that had masterful play calling. Tice will NEVER get there. Bears organization needs new blood.

BTW Dale, the Bears are 1-3 against teams with a winning record. And if you judge the season by Packers, Niners, - both teams are obviously heading to post season play (along with Atlanta and probably the Giants)- we're done. Minnesota is probably having a great week off, and watching the heck out of that game last night. Hello Leslie Frazier!

JAMOOL
11-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Week 15 Green Bay at Chicago looking like the biggest game of the year for both teams! I'm oddly optimistic about GB - they've been on a roll, though strangely their only real "blowout" win was against the now 8-1 Texans. Their three losses involved a tough one to maybe the NFC's best team, the Fail Mary game, and the incredible 18-point Colts comeback. It feels a lot like 2010 again, where the key injuries are stacking up, and the team is losing some tough ones (recall that in 2010 every Packers loss was by 4 or less points), but now a bunch of new younger players are really picking up the slack (Casey Heyward looks incredible so far). Losing Rodgers would be killer, but other than that, who's left to lose? Matthews missed last game, Jennings hasn't been healthy all year, Nelson's playing on and off, Raji missed time, Benson is done for nearly the whole year, and Woodson is out until Week 15 or so. And yet they've reeled off five straight!

3LockBox
11-20-2012, 12:18 PM
If the Bears 'D' play that bad against Detroit they'll get lit up. I sure hope the Lions address their pathetic linebacking corp in the off-season. The D-line is great, but once a play gets behind them, its a huge play.

3LockBox
11-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Total bullshit that Ed Reed got suspended, IMO.

JAMOOL
11-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Any idea why Harbaugh is trying to create a QB controversy in SF? Yes your backup played great but Alex Smith has been a top 10 QB this year and last numbers-wise...or do people still think he's an average QB playing on a great team, like Joe Flacco?

polmico
11-20-2012, 01:38 PM
For whatever reason, Harbaugh doesn't believe in Smith. He tried to replace him in the offseason. Maybe there's something in the locker room or a personality clash. For me, he's in the top half of QBs, and that's not too bad. You don't need 5000 yards passing and 40 TDs to win in this league.

polmico
11-20-2012, 01:41 PM
How did the Bears looks so bad vs. the Niners?

How did the Niners look so bad against the Giants? How did the Giants look so bad against Cincinnati? How did the Patriots looks so bad against Arizona? How did Houston look so bad against Jacksonville?

That's been the NFL for awhile now -- lots of parity. Much more than the records might indicate. Sometimes the best teams take weeks off mentally and get shown up by teams that didn't.

Some teams just match up well against other teams. They prepare more or they find something that works really well for that week against that team. I wasn't too surprised when the Bengals beat the Giants, nor would I have been surprised if the Browns beat the 'Boys.

Facelift
11-20-2012, 01:56 PM
This just in: the Steelers sign Plaxico Burress and Harbaugh will start Kaepernik vs. the Saints on Sunday. When asked if he observed the rule about starters not losing their jobs due to injury, he said "no."

Brian Griffin
11-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Much as I hate the Rats the Ed Reed suspension is a clear example of what the game has become

Why even have safties, they obviously arent allowed to hit anyone

League is a fucking joke, and not a very funny one at that

BG

DaleGtr
11-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Charles, you really have to wait 2-3 years to judge a draft so not much can really be said as of this point. I was happy with all the moves Emery made (Campbell included). They tried very hard to get some stud from Pittsburgh in the off season but he resigned with the Steelers. McLellin MAY turn out ok, it's just too soon to tell. Should he have drafted an offensive lineman instead? Hard to tell until a couple years go by. Maybe no one worth a first round pick was available by the point. I don't know.

As for Tice, I consider him a very good line coach but he really doesn't have much to work with. Carimi is looking like a bust. He'd better work his magic soon, tho!. I don't think much of him as a co-ordinator. He did well in planning for Houston but did a horrible job last night. And again, where were the adjustments??

I agree with you, the Bears record against good times leaves a LOT to be desired! Until they can beat the Packers, 49ers and Giants they are just a good team, not a great one.

DaleGtr
11-20-2012, 02:11 PM
If the Bears 'D' play that bad against Detroit they'll get lit up. I sure hope the Lions address their pathetic linebacking corp in the off-season. The D-line is great, but once a play gets behind them, its a huge play.

As sad as our offensive output was last night (and it was SAD!), the shocker is how poorly the defense did- and against a newbie QB! I'll give them a bad night at the office once a year but that offense has to quit relying on 7-14 points from the D to win games!

DaleGtr
11-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Some teams just match up well against other teams.

Good point!

As for Harbaugh, I think he's crazy to let on to the media about going with the hot hand. Not wise.

JAMOOL
11-20-2012, 02:23 PM
I guess he really is thinking about making Kapernick the full time starter. Otherwise I think he knows how unwise it is to say something like this. Obviously what they're doing with Smith has been working and his accuracy seems to only be getting better, but Kapernick seems a lot more like the kind of guy that would appeal to Harbaugh. Starting Kapernick when Smith gets healthy would be surprising but I wouldn't be too shocked if they dealt Smith in the offseason...God knows there are a lot of teams willing to take him.

Scott Bails
11-20-2012, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't be too shocked if they dealt Smith in the offseason...God knows there are a lot of teams willing to take him.

The Eagles could certainly do a lot worse!

NogbadTheBad
11-20-2012, 02:51 PM
I guess he really is thinking about making Kapernick the full time starter. Otherwise I think he knows how unwise it is to say something like this. Obviously what they're doing with Smith has been working and his accuracy seems to only be getting better, but Kapernick seems a lot more like the kind of guy that would appeal to Harbaugh. Starting Kapernick when Smith gets healthy would be surprising but I wouldn't be too shocked if they dealt Smith in the offseason...God knows there are a lot of teams willing to take him.The stunning thing is why the heck would you mess with a winning combination even if you do think Kapernick is the better QB? You are winning and well placed for a 1st round bye with Smith. You can blow up team chemistry with these sorts of changes and should only be doing them midseason out of desperation.

Scott Bails
11-20-2012, 03:06 PM
I agree with Nogbad.

Facelift
11-20-2012, 03:17 PM
I guess he really is thinking about making Kapernick the full time starter. Otherwise I think he knows how unwise it is to say something like this. Obviously what they're doing with Smith has been working and his accuracy seems to only be getting better, but Kapernick seems a lot more like the kind of guy that would appeal to Harbaugh. Starting Kapernick when Smith gets healthy would be surprising but I wouldn't be too shocked if they dealt Smith in the offseason...God knows there are a lot of teams willing to take him.

"A lot of teams?" I can only think of 2, maybe 3 teams with QB needs who would be in a position to want to take on his 2 years and $16 million: Philly, Arizona and maybe Tampa, if they're ready to cut Josh Freeman loose. Smith, who will be 29 when next season kicks off, has had an unremarkable career before settling into the role of "steady, competent game-manager" for an offense with capable players and on a team with a good defense. At his age, he is nobody's long-term solution to the position. He is a quarterback for a team that considers themselves "playoff ready," but who considers their present quarterback circumstances to be a negative. That eliminates from contention the really bad teams (Cleveland, Jacksonville, K.C.), either because one of them will get their QB in the 2013 draft (the guy from West Virginia) with the top pick, or because it just doesn't make sense for them to trade assets from a talent-starved team for a quarterback of average ability.

Hobo Chang Ba
11-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Tampa ain't going for smith. Freeman played well two years ago, and is coming on strong now. Perhaps KC, as they have some players on defense and a supposedly good running back which is a system Smith would fit well in. Though I agree, they should probably draft one and hope for the best.

Don't want to go bananas after one game but he did look good and I've never been sold on smith. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

JAMOOL
11-20-2012, 05:05 PM
I know a lot of this is due to great OL blocking, but Smith's completion rate is at 70%, first place in the league. Yes he floundered for years but those were in systems that did not play to his strengths at all. And yes Facelift I do realize that in practice there are only a handful of teams that would actually take him but I guess what I'm trying to say there is he's probably a top-15 QB right now. Keep in mind he threw all of five picks last year. Not saying this is likely to happen but I could see the Ravens wanting that contract; he's got to be better than Flacco. That said everything I've heard about Kaepernick has implied that he really does deserve to start for someone. Good problem to have!

JAMOOL
11-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Also I agree with Hobo that Tampa is going to stick with Freeman - he sucked last year but he was good as a rookie and he's good now, plus he's 24. But I can't believe you didn't mention the Jets, they have one of the worst QB situations known to man right now. And you can't imagine Oakland is too happy with Carson Palmer right now.

Brian Griffin
11-20-2012, 05:34 PM
And you can't imagine Oakland is too happy with Carson Palmer right now.

I don't put the Raiders situation on CP3 at all - completely on the OC, (Greg Knapp), and McKenzie for hiring him

Knapp sucked his first go round with us, and employed a zone blocking scheme in this soon to be abbreviated stint that rendered RunDMC useless, until he got hurt, (for a change)

BG

Facelift
11-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I know a lot of this is due to great OL blocking, but Smith's completion rate is at 70%, first place in the league. Yes he floundered for years but those were in systems that did not play to his strengths at all. And yes Facelift I do realize that in practice there are only a handful of teams that would actually take him but I guess what I'm trying to say there is he's probably a top-15 QB right now. Keep in mind he threw all of five picks last year. Not saying this is likely to happen but I could see the Ravens wanting that contract; he's got to be better than Flacco. That said everything I've heard about Kaepernick has implied that he really does deserve to start for someone. Good problem to have!

Well, I don't think that Smith is a top 15 quarterback, but that's a point for debate. I don't think he's better than Flacco. For all his weaknesses, one thing Flacco has going for him is that he can accurately throw a deep ball. Smith doesn't do this very well. In today's NFL, you need to be able to make big plays. Flacco gives teams a better chance of doing this than Smith does.

As for the Jets, Smith really makes no sense at all for them. Sanchez is under contract for next year and the Jets would take a cap hit if they cut him. They're not going to cut Sanchez and take that cap hit in order to then trade away an asset for a quarterback who is only marginally better, and who is not a "name" to help them sell tickets. The Jets aren't an Alex Smith away from being a legit playoff team either -- aside from Santonio Holmes they have a virtually talentless offense and could use some help on the other side of the ball as well. I expect that the Jets are looking at the 2013 draft and 2013 free agent class to determine who their next quarterback will be.

The near-complete lack of interest that the rest of the league has in Alex Smith was demonstrated during last year's free-agent period.

Scott Bails
11-20-2012, 07:28 PM
"A lot of teams?" I can only think of 2, maybe 3 teams with QB needs who would be in a position to want to take on his 2 years and $16 million: Philly, Arizona and maybe Tampa, if they're ready to cut Josh Freeman loose. Smith, who will be 29 when next season kicks off, has had an unremarkable career before settling into the role of "steady, competent game-manager" for an offense with capable players and on a team with a good defense. At his age, he is nobody's long-term solution to the position. He is a quarterback for a team that considers themselves "playoff ready," but who considers their present quarterback circumstances to be a negative. That eliminates from contention the really bad teams (Cleveland, Jacksonville, K.C.), either because one of them will get their QB in the 2013 draft (the guy from West Virginia) with the top pick, or because it just doesn't make sense for them to trade assets from a talent-starved team for a quarterback of average ability.

I've got news for ya - the Eagles belong in the second group with Jax, Cleve, & KC.

IMWeasel
11-20-2012, 09:52 PM
For whatever reason, Harbaugh doesn't believe in Smith. He tried to replace him in the offseason. Maybe there's something in the locker room or a personality clash. For me, he's in the top half of QBs, and that's not too bad. You don't need 5000 yards passing and 40 TDs to win in this league."For whatever reason" .... oh man, did you see the first few years of Smith's career? ;)

OK joking aside, yes he has been way better under Harbaugh, but there still arent that many 49er faithfuls who have completely hitched their wagons to Alex Smith. Kapernick has a lot of talent, and lot of intangibles, but I think he still needs to fully develop. He is a much more exciting player than Alex Smith too.

That being said, I'd still go with Smith for the remainder of the season.

JAMOOL
11-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Well, I don't think that Smith is a top 15 quarterback, but that's a point for debate.

I guess this is where the argument begins and ends because I find it hard to evaluate him right now. I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as his first five years suggested (getting benched every other game couldn't have helped much) and the system he was in was so totally wrong for him. And now, I don't think he's as good as his stats look, because he's getting great blocking and it seems like the system is tailored more towards his strengths.

Facelift
11-21-2012, 10:07 AM
I guess this is where the argument begins and ends because I find it hard to evaluate him right now. I don't think he's anywhere near as bad as his first five years suggested (getting benched every other game couldn't have helped much) and the system he was in was so totally wrong for him. And now, I don't think he's as good as his stats look, because he's getting great blocking and it seems like the system is tailored more towards his strengths.

Yeah, it's hard to say. As far as his being traded goes, he's already on the right team and in the right system. It seems unlikely that he'd be better anywhere else.

Scott Bails
11-21-2012, 01:53 PM
he's getting great blocking and it seems like the system is tailored more towards his strengths.

As an Eagles fan, these are completely foreign concepts. :(

yogibear
11-21-2012, 04:40 PM
i used to be a niners fan back in the day of joe. nowadays i'm sort of a niners, patriots chicago bears fan. oh well i loves good defense.

yogibear
11-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Well, I don't think that Smith is a top 15 quarterback, but that's a point for debate. The near-complete lack of interest that the rest of the league has in Alex Smith was demonstrated during last year's free-agent period.yep but todays Niners are some what like the team trent dilfer took to the superbowl. pretty strong defense and an offense that runs, grinds and doesn't make that many mistakes.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-21-2012, 05:05 PM
looks like I was right about all 32 having a thursday game

Scott Bails
11-21-2012, 09:11 PM
yep but todays Niners are some what like the team trent dilfer took to the superbowl. pretty strong defense and an offense that runs, grinds and doesn't make that many mistakes.

Alex Smith is light years better than Trent Dilfer, IMO.

looks like I was right about all 32 having a thursday game

How do you figure? They only have 15 Thursday games, right? And at least the Cowboys have played in two of them.

Joe F.
11-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Alex Smith is light years better than Trent Dilfer, IMO.

How do you figure? They only have 15 Thursday games, right? And at least the Cowboys have played in two of them.

The NFL network has 15 games. The three games on Thanksgiving are not broadcast on the NFL network. That means there are 18 games this year on Thursday, or so the math would suggest. ;)

moecurlythanu
11-21-2012, 10:55 PM

Kapernick was the best of the 2nd (or 3rd) tier QBs in the draft the year he came out, so that game was not a shock, but...it's one game folks. Removing Smith for him now would be a huge mistake. Harbaugh (who has been flawless thus far) is saying he may use both QBs moving forward, even in the same game. This has a proven track record of failure. Didn't Dikta jack him and Tomczak around like that, to both QBs detriment, or am I thinking of someone else?

moecurlythanu
11-21-2012, 11:11 PM

The Lions have needs at Cornerback, Running Back, and O-Line, besides Linebacker. They'd be wise to take the highest rated player on their board from among those positions, rather than just focus on a Linebacker.

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
11-21-2012, 11:16 PM
The NFL network has 15 games. The three games on Thanksgiving are not broadcast on the NFL network. That means there are 18 games this year on Thursday, or so the math would suggest. ;)Joe, I'm sure you meant to say the NFL network has 13 games and there are 3 thursday games on thanx so that makes 16 games. Assuming that TWO teams play in each thursday game that makes 32.

Joe F.
11-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Joe, I'm sure you meant to say the NFL network has 13 games and there are 3 thursday games on thanx so that makes 16 games. Assuming that TWO teams play in each thursday game that makes 32.

You're right. I grabbed the number 15 from the schedule (they're brodcasting games through week 15), but no games during week 1 or 12.

polmico
11-22-2012, 01:30 PM
So Suh totally kicked Schaub in the nuts.

polmico
11-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Holy shit! Detroit just got hosed.

I don't understand why that play was not reviewable.

Brian Griffin
11-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Holy shit! Detroit just got hosed.

I don't nderstand why that play was not reviewable.

Love this, and any other call that confirms what a fucking joke the NFL has become

Tuck rule like bullshit

BG

NogbadTheBad
11-22-2012, 03:24 PM
That has to be the stupidest rule in the book. I thought the idea was to get the call right? No, if you throw a red flag on a play that is going to be reviewed anyway we'll cancel the review & give an undeserved TD. Bizarre beyond words.

3LockBox
11-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah, its a stupid fuckin rule, but it's a rule that gets suggested, voted on by a rules committee, and distributed around the league. How the hell does Jim Schwartz not know that? Another headshake inducing moment in the life of a Detroit fan.

Vic2012
11-22-2012, 06:34 PM
So Suh totally kicked Schaub in the nuts.

That boy named "Sue" is a dirty, fucking, son-of-a-bitch. I was kinda rooting for the Lions but because Andomakong Soo (or however the fuck it's spelled) is such a dirty player, I'm glad the Texans won. It was a hell of a game either way. Either team coulda won.

Vic2012
11-23-2012, 07:20 AM
That has to be the stupidest rule in the book. I thought the idea was to get the call right? No, if you throw a red flag on a play that is going to be reviewed anyway we'll cancel the review & give an undeserved TD. Bizarre beyond words.

Yeah I didn't get it either. The Lions got jobbed (more like butt-fucked). I'm still glad they lost. That boy named Suh is becoming a liability. I don't understand why they don't suspend his ass for 4 games at least.

Okay, let me get this straight about overtime. The new rule is in place simply to avoid the team winning the toss just marching down the field and kicking a fieldgoal, thus winning in sudden death. So if the team that wins the toss does just that, the opponent gets a chance (unless they score a touchdown then it's sudden death). Right, wrong?

NogbadTheBad
11-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Okay, let me get this straight about overtime. The new rule is in place simply to avoid the team winning the toss just marching down the field and kicking a fieldgoal, thus winning in sudden death. So if the team that wins the toss does just that, the opponent gets a chance (unless they score a touchdown then it's sudden death). Right, wrong?That' pretty much it, if the team with the first possession kicks a field goal then the opponent gets a possession.

DaleGtr
11-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Harbaugh (who has been flawless thus far) is saying he may use both QBs moving forward, even in the same game. This has a proven track record of failure. Didn't Dikta jack him and Tomczak around like that, to both QBs detriment, or am I thinking of someone else?

The 84-89 Bears had a major problem with McMahon getting hurt every year. There's a great bar trivia bet to name the 6 quarterbacks in a 1984 game- one including Walter Payton! Ditka's two main subs were Harbaugh ('86 on) and Tomczak). Tomczak had a great won-loss record (because of the team he played with) but was an interception machine that locked onto a single receiver most of the time (drove us crazy!) while Harbaugh always seemed to improve only just a little bit each year.

Ditka was always bouncing between the two- and even brought in Doug Flutie in '86 in a classic move to lose the locker room. However, he didn't quite 'alternate' QB's during the game, tho I recall him yanking a couple because of interceptions.

I have seen musical chairs played with QBs throughout the year, however, a rotating door policy during a game has rarely been used to the best of my knowledge. The only coach I know that ran one was Bud Grant in the late 60s with the Vikings. He had Joe Kapp, Bob Berry and Gary Cuozzo (not always at the same time) and would often bring in a '3rd down specialist' who could run certain plays well.

3LockBox
11-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I remember a Monday night game in which then Chicago QB Harbaugh audibled to a screen pass that resulted in a pick-six and then Ditka famously chewed Harbaugh a new one on the sideline. If Harbaugh makes a switch, he'd better stick it out because he'll screw up Smith's head once the change is made.

Magic Mountain
11-23-2012, 12:46 PM
would often bring in a '3rd down specialist' who could run certain plays well.

The Eagles did this with Ron Jaworski and Randall Cunningham. In 1986, Buddy Ryan named Jawarski the starter but would replace him with Cunningham in third-and-long situations.

mpoll
11-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Yeah, its a stupid fuckin rule, but it's a rule that gets suggested, voted on by a rules committee, and distributed around the league. How the hell does Jim Schwartz not know that? Another headshake inducing moment in the life of a Detroit fan.

What's it been - 1955? Even as die-hard Packer-Backer-since-birth, I kinda feel for you Lions faithful (and appreciate your continued support of the team through the years - I can remember 29 straight Packers 'down' years between Bart/Ray and Brett/Reggie).

polmico
11-24-2012, 09:49 AM
"This is the posting that went up this week:

I'll trade my leftover Halloween candy for tickets to the Eagles vs Pathers game this Monday night.

I have 23 Snickers bars (fun size), 5 Snickers Almond bars (fun size), and an unopened bag of Charms Blow Pops (assorted flavors).

The game is Monday night, it's against the Panthers, and it's going to be cold. If you'd rather not sit through another Eagles' game, this is a great trade."

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201211/fan-tries-trade-candy-eagles-tickets

Schadenfreude! I'm starting off my Saturday in a good mood! :)

Vic2012
11-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't see the Dolphins winning another game this year. Damn, they teased us with some decent wins and a couple losses that coulda been wins early in the season. But jeez, we haven't even played the Pats yet :O. The Seahawks aren't slouches either.

Gruno
11-24-2012, 11:12 AM
What's it been - 1955? Even as die-hard Packer-Backer-since-birth, I kinda feel for you Lions faithful (and appreciate your continued support of the team through the years - I can remember 29 straight Packers 'down' years between Bart/Ray and Brett/Reggie).

I'm with you there! Packer fan since the 70s!

3LockBox
11-24-2012, 12:44 PM
I don't see the Dolphins winning another game this year... The Seahawks aren't slouches either.

The Seahawks on the road this year are a different team than they are in Seattle. They're coming off a bye week, so maybe they're rested.

Scott Bails
11-24-2012, 09:46 PM
"This is the posting that went up this week:

I'll trade my leftover Halloween candy for tickets to the Eagles vs Pathers game this Monday night.

I have 23 Snickers bars (fun size), 5 Snickers Almond bars (fun size), and an unopened bag of Charms Blow Pops (assorted flavors).

The game is Monday night, it's against the Panthers, and it's going to be cold. If you'd rather not sit through another Eagles' game, this is a great trade."

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201211/fan-tries-trade-candy-eagles-tickets

Schadenfreude! I'm starting off my Saturday in a good mood! :)

If I had tickets, I've make this trade in a heartbeat.

Then I'd offer the candy to Andy Reid if he'd resign. :p

Vic2012
11-25-2012, 05:40 PM
What an ugly, boring game. But I'll take it. A win is a win. What's the point of rootin' for yer team if'n ya don't want 'em to win. The Dolphins suck, but the Seahawks sucked worse today. :)

Lou
11-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Only 8 turnovers today. Nicely done Steelers! Now...PLEASE!!!!... put Charlie Batch back in the formaldehyde!!

NogbadTheBad
11-25-2012, 06:07 PM
What an ugly, boring game. But I'll take it. A win is a win. What's the point of rootin' for yer team if'n ya don't want 'em to win. The Dolphins suck, but the Seahawks sucked worse today. :)We don't travel well :(

polmico
11-25-2012, 07:07 PM
The Bengals are not a bad team.

NogbadTheBad
11-25-2012, 07:10 PM
We want to play Oakland every week.

moecurlythanu
11-25-2012, 08:02 PM
No fair, it's our turn!

JAMOOL
11-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Kinda looks like Harbaugh is making the right choice here; Kaepernick had a few nice deep balls/scrambles that Smith just couldn't do, and he didn't seem careless with the ball either, that pick was a bad choice but in his defense the snap was so low that he just had no time to survey the field, probably should have just eaten it there. He actually feels a lot like what everyone was hoping Tebow would be.

Vic2012
11-26-2012, 09:47 AM
We don't travel well :(

.... and we get our asses kicked by good teams ;) Next 2 Dolphins opponents are New England, then San Francisco....GULP....:O

On a lighter note, I read a funny story about "Fireman Ed" the Jets "Superfan." He said he's HAD IT!!! :lol

Brian Griffin
11-26-2012, 09:56 AM
We want to play Oakland every week.

Oakland got completely hosed on two calls during that game, a phantom clipping penalty and the ever popular "inadvertant whistle", the later would have pulled them within 10 with about 8 minutes left

Even with replay, they just can't get calls right

I watched 3 full games yesterday, seems like every other play is lengthy review that just kills the flow of the game

The folks who want expanded replay in baseball had better be careful of what they wish for

BG

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 10:04 AM
I watched 3 full games yesterday, seems like every other play is lengthy review that just kills the flow of the game

The folks who want expanded replay in baseball had better be careful of what they wish for

BG

Personally, I don't give a rip about "flow of the game." I want the calls correct.

JAMOOL
11-26-2012, 10:34 AM
putting a chip in the ball to help them get first downs/touchdowns correct may really help things speed up, for one...

the review system in general is messed up - I understand WHY you'd want to review big plays like TDs and turnovers, but the problem is that then you're not reviewing something like say, when a player fumbles but is called down on the field. the challenge rules are nonsensical (you can win all three and not be able to challenge anything else), and of course there's the thing that happened to Jim Schwartz, which is such a bizarre punishment for accidentally throwing a challenge flag. i guess there's really no good solution, I think more reviews are probably for the best, but I agree it interrupts the flow of a game that's already quite slow....

Gruno
11-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Baseball is already as boring as ever so that would throw more nails in the coffin.

Brian Griffin
11-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Personally, I don't give a rip about "flow of the game." I want the calls correct.

Thats it exactly, even with the delays and seeming over baked review of every other play the calls are still wrong

After copping to the inadvertant whistle, the Bengals were given the choice of accepting the play, or getting a "do-over", which of course they opted for as their fumble had been returned for a TD

Great job by the Zebras, as always

BG

Gruno
11-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Great job by the Zebras, as always

While it is easy to critique the refs and trash their missed calls, I still think it is a thankless job. Think of all the calls that they get correct versus the ones that slip by. These guys spot things in a flash and their eyes are constantly looking in multiple directions.

I will take the bad call here and there when it is low in the scheme of things. Some calls they get wrong -- some very wrong. The replacement refs in the beginning of the season were another story...

Firth
11-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I'd like to see some real offensive excitement in football. First change would be to penalize any contact of a defensive man with a receiver, unless the receiver contacts a defensive man. If the receiver contacts the defensive man, it's no penalty for any contact of the defensive man and the receiver. Obviously, there are only better rules, and better rules are rules that can be enforced unambigously. This year it seems that interference calls are like a throw of the dice.

Why review just touchdowns. Why not review any play which could have resulted in a score, but didn't because of contact or penalty.

JAMOOL
11-26-2012, 12:27 PM
I agree with Gruno, if you think reffing is easy in any way look at how awful the replacements were, and those guys were the best they could find. Just so much to keep track of and so many plays are just a mess of bodies, plus several rules change depending on how far out the guys are. Hell even the false start/neutral zone infraction/enchroachement calls on every down seem like it would take a ridiculous amount of coordination.

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Too cool for words. (http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/colts-cheerleaders-have-their-heads-shaved-slideshow/nfl-buffalo-bills-at-indianapolis-colts-photo-972152847.html)

Brian Griffin
11-26-2012, 01:59 PM
I agree with Gruno, if you think reffing is easy in any way look at how awful the replacements were

I honestly don't see all that much difference

of course there's the thing that happened to Jim Schwartz

Brought to you by the same shit for brains who made the Tuck Rule famous, Walt Coleman

BG

Brian Griffin
11-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Plenty of empty seats in a few of the games I looked in on - San Diego was particularly surprising

BG

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 02:03 PM

BG

Wow. Really?

The "real" refs aren't perfect, but they're light-years ahead of those replacement refs.

JAMOOL
11-26-2012, 02:50 PM

You can't be paying too much attention then. The real refs blow a lot of calls but IMO most of them are things I only pick up on in slow-mo replay. With the replacements I honestly think teams like San Fran were just false starting on every play, knowing they wouldn't get called on it. Not to mention how often receivers were getting illegally decked over the middle.

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Add to that that it took them 10 minutes to make a call - even if it was wrong - and how blatantly they were intimidated by players and coaches.

Klonk
11-26-2012, 05:12 PM

:lol you can't be serious. With the replacements, the league was one flag away from an all out riot. No the real refs aren't perfect, but at least they have control of the game. If I was going to bitch about 'em though, I don't like the inconsistency with interference calls.

Meanwhile...Giants lookin real solid against the Pack last night. Amazing what a bye week can do to get the boys back on track :up

UnephenStephen
11-26-2012, 05:54 PM
:lol you can't be serious. With the replacements, the league was one flag away from an all out riot. No the real refs aren't perfect, but at least they have control of the game. If I was going to bitch about 'em though, I don't like the inconsistency with interference calls.

Meanwhile...Giants lookin real solid against the Pack last night. Amazing what a bye week can do to get the boys back on track :upi'm still worried about next week against RG3. the Giants are so Jekyll and Hyde, it wouldn't surprise me if they put out a stinker next week.

Klonk
11-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Yeah man, RG3 is dangerous and they have keep pressure on him. If Kenny Phillips can play, I like the chances. Having him back there allows Giants to blitz more.

Bummer we lost Brown with the broken leg.

Brian Griffin
11-26-2012, 07:46 PM
:at least they have control of the game

You obviously did not watch Oak / Cincy yesterday, (not that I blame you)

The officiating is a joke, kind of surprised you all seem to be so forgiving

BG

3LockBox
11-26-2012, 07:55 PM
What an ugly, boring game... The Dolphins suck, but the Seahawks sucked worse today. :)

I told ya, Seahawks are a lackluster team on the road. They came off that bye very flat. Carroll said as much. And now it looks like Seahawks starting corners might get a four game suspension for using PEDs. I didn't think we cared if football players used PEDs. I don't. Next up, a trip to Chicago... oh boy.

polmico
11-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Martlleus Bennett is a pretty funny guy:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/giants-te-martellus-bennett-uses-spidey-senses-save-161018129--nfl.html

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 09:00 PM

BG

It's not that we're forgiving, it's just that we still remember how absolutely terrible the replacement refs were.

The current refs are less than great. The replacement refs were less than awful.

NogbadTheBad
11-26-2012, 09:12 PM

BGWell I think it was blacked out in Cinci so we got the dire Cleveland - Steelers game as punishment for not going to the game.

Brian Griffin
11-27-2012, 07:01 AM
The current refs are less than great. The replacement refs were less than awful.

This is really my point - obviously refs with years of pro experience will be "better", however the current ones still are far from acceptable IMO

Between the inconsistent calls, flat out bad calls, and my shitty team, it's becoming unwatchable

Seems like we are seeing blackouts even with those rules somewhat relaxed, and there were ridiculous deals on Sunday ticket - perhaps more and more are saying fuck it

BG

Scott Bails
11-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Blackout rules are outdated and stupid.

JAMOOL
11-27-2012, 09:53 AM
BG this is about as good as the reffing is going to get. NBA reffing has the same problem; way too many judgement calls that result in fans of one team saying they got screwed

Gruno
11-28-2012, 12:47 AM
there were ridiculous deals on Sunday ticket

I was able to get Sunday ticket for free this year.

Scott Bails
11-29-2012, 11:18 AM
Atlanta fans are worse than Eagles fans. (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--atlanta-new-orleans--the-nfl-s-next-great-rivalry--162214985.html)

Brian Griffin
11-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Atlanta fans are worse than Eagles fans. (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--atlanta-new-orleans--the-nfl-s-next-great-rivalry--162214985.html)

The same folks who showered the field in the middle of the Cardinals ending their baseball season last year

You may have a point

BG

JAMOOL
11-29-2012, 01:02 PM
They've got a long way to go before approaching Philly fans.

Brian Griffin
11-29-2012, 01:03 PM
BG this is about as good as the reffing is going to get.

On this, we agree

BG

3LockBox
11-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Atlanta fans are worse than Eagles fans. (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--atlanta-new-orleans--the-nfl-s-next-great-rivalry--162214985.html)nah, until they egg Santa Claus, Philly fan wins ;)

3LockBox
11-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Watching the Saints/Falcons game, I can't help but think... gee, the Chargers sure are good at losing top flight running backs.

moecurlythanu
11-30-2012, 12:24 AM
Watching the Saints/Falcons game, I can't help but think... gee, the Chargers sure are good at losing top flight running backs.

Doesn't matter. You have Norv Turner for a Head Coach.

Lou
12-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Horrible story unfolding this morning in Kansas City...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8697360/kansas-city-chiefs-player-commits-suicide-team-facility

polmico
12-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Jets 7, Cards 3. And no Sanchez.
'Niners 10, Rams 2. Got a couple of blow-out baseball scores going on here . . .

NogbadTheBad
12-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Go Seahawks!!

3LockBox
12-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Go Seahawks!!

That was a quality win, though the Seahawks nearly gave it away.

Joe F.
12-02-2012, 04:35 PM
That was a quality win, though the Seahawks nearly gave it away.

No shit. They should have had that locked up in regulation.

The next 4 are winable, with maybe the exception of SF.

polmico
12-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Looks like the 'Niners won't have two ties on the season.

Lots of fun games there at the end.

Afternoon games don't look so hot outside of Ravens/Steelers--but I guess Colts/Lions didn't look like it'd be such a fun game on paper.

3LockBox
12-02-2012, 04:51 PM
Coaching change in Detroit?

I think so. That and a new defensive backfield.

Vic2012
12-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Hey, we kept New England under 30 points! (That was a "moral victory)... :lol

Damn Niners lose to the Rams. Unbelievable. Even the Dolphins beat the Rams. Well, Dolphins vs Fortyniners next Sunday baby. Let's see what happens. I think the Niners are licking their wounds and they're gonna get all their frustrations out on The Dolphins. Seriously, I'll be rootin' for the Dolphins. Would love to see the Dolphins kick the Niners asses :).

IMWeasel
12-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Hey, we kept New England under 30 points! (That was a "moral victory)... :lol

Damn Niners lose to the Rams. Unbelievable. Even the Dolphins beat the Rams. Well, Dolphins vs Fortyniners next Sunday baby. Let's see what happens. I think the Niners are licking their wounds and they're gonna get all their frustrations out on The Dolphins. Seriously, I'll be rootin' for the Dolphins. Would love to see the Dolphins kick the Niners asses :).That probably won't happen, look how the Niners have usually played this season after a tough game -- they destroyed the Jets after losing to Minnesota, and they punished Chicago after tying with the Rams a few weeks ago. I definitely wouldn't wanna be the Dolphins next week. ;)

Still thats pretty disappointing, but credit to Jeff Fisher and his crew, he obviously sees something in Harbaugh's gameplan that only a few have been able to figure out. The Niners are really going to have to step it up with him in the division now.

NogbadTheBad
12-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Go Bengals!!

Scott Bails
12-02-2012, 08:33 PM
DeMarcus Ware might get 15 sacks tonight.

Scott Bails
12-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Wow. That was too easy.

Imagine - when you actually use your great running back and run the ball, you can actually score.

What a concept. :roll

Scott Bails
12-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Man, WTF is going on?!!! (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8701653/cleveland-browns-team-employee-kills-self-practice-center) :O

UnephenStephen
12-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Man, WTF is going on?!!! (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8701653/cleveland-browns-team-employee-kills-self-practice-center) :Ocertainly can't say that this was due to a concussion.

trespass
12-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Niners:

They need to win some games.

Their offensive coaching staff, including Harbaugh, needs to assess thier bi-polar, schizo offensive persona and figure out who and what they want to be. Who the hell called a pitch in the backfield (which I believe was an option play that had already been busted) and why pitch to butterfingers Ginn at your own 10 yard line? Kaep did his part by running 20 yards in reverse and in to a safety. Many keystone cop moments on offense today. Harbaugh and his O coordinator starting to loose credibility with the fans.

The Niners are on the edge of playing their way right out of the playoffs. They could be 10-2 at this point if it wern't for some very horrible offensive decisions.

Too bad, because their defense is very, very good. But the D can't win every game for them.

sorry, no spell check

Hobo Chang Ba
12-03-2012, 03:34 AM
Really hoping for another tie between the rams and niners. At least the rams pulled it out in the end. Hell of a win by Luck and the colts. Turned out to be a fairly decent week overall.

Expecting a sad night tomorrow to balance it out.

Vic2012
12-03-2012, 07:21 AM
That probably won't happen, .

Yeah, it's safe to say the Dolphins probably won't kick the Niner's asses :lol. But football is a game of matchups. Sometimes the elite teams get bitten on the ass by bad teams. The 49ers are a little schizoid right now. They can't beat their lowly, division rival. But that's how it goes in this league. I didn't really watch the Niners/Rams game but I caught bits and pieces bewteen timeouts of the Dolphins game. How was Kaepernick's performance yesterday? Is there talk of starting Alex again? I was talking with some blokes about that yesterday. Most think that Smith got a raw deal. I tend to agree with that, but in a way I like that Harbaugh is doing what he feel's is best for the team and doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks. Really, all I want is the Dolphins to make a game out of it. We were in the game for most of the day yeasterday, but the problem with this team (Dolphins) is that one turnover usually means they lose the game. They just can't overcome costly mistakes like that, especially against good teams.

Shadow
12-03-2012, 07:26 AM
If the Ravens keep playing the way they have been the last three weeks, there is a good chance they will lose their remaining four games and not make the playoffs. Maybe this will wake up management and start looking for another quarterback and competent head coach.

NogbadTheBad
12-03-2012, 07:56 AM
I was wondering when you'd chime in Ed, how bad were they? I still can't believe they lost at home to Charlie Batch after how awful he looked last week. Personally I wanted the Ravens to win to help the Bengals.

Dan Marsh
12-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Eagles lose again.....yet Lurie still won't fire the fat fuck.

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 09:10 AM
No, they fire Washburn, the D-Line coach.

Like that will make a difference at this point. :roll

Vic2012
12-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Is Andy Reid really the problem with the Eagles? I think the whole system is screwed up actually. But I kinda feel for Andy. The man's been through a lot in recent years. I hope things get better for him and the team.

moecurlythanu
12-03-2012, 09:38 AM
If the Ravens keep playing the way they have been the last three weeks, there is a good chance they will lose their remaining four games and not make the playoffs. Maybe this will wake up management and start looking for another quarterback and competent head coach.

I'm really surprised by Flacco's poor play. I thought he had a good shot at taking the next step this year and elevating his game to the elite level. Instead, he's played more like Joe Flaccid.

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Is Andy Reid really the problem with the Eagles? I think the whole system is screwed up actually. But I kinda feel for Andy. The man's been through a lot in recent years. I hope things get better for him and the team.

At this point, the team is completely lost. Too many injuries, everyone knowing Reid is a lame duck, nothing really to play for, etc.

But, "the whole system is screwed up" is 100% Reid's fault, as it's his system. His personnel, his coaches, his game plans, etc.

walt
12-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Sanchez looks very comfortable on the sidelines with chart and pen.He seems to have found his niche with the Jets.I hope they start McElroy.

JAMOOL
12-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Well the important thing for Seattle is that they've got 3 home games left. Believe it or not the one vs the 49ers could be for the divison.

Anyways the Cowboys/Eagles game was awful to watch BUT in terms of gambling it was one of the most exciting games of the year! Let's just say I experienced the full spectrum of emotions last night ;)

Yves
12-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Still thats pretty disappointing, but credit to Jeff Fisher and his crew, he obviously sees something in Harbaugh's gameplan that only a few have been able to figure out. The Niners are really going to have to step it up with him in the division now.

Agreed. Fisher knows which team he needs to beat in that division and he's figured out a way to play the Niners very tough.

Shadow
12-03-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm really surprised by Flacco's poor play. I thought he had a good shot at taking the next step this year and elevating his game to the elite level. Instead, he's played more like Joe Flaccid.

Ray Rice had like 49 yards on seven carries in the first half and then they start passing. I think Cam just wants to prove its not his shitty play calling limiting high scores and victories. They hired the Colts head coach as a quarterback coach this year. Who better than someone who coached Peyton Manning.

JAMOOL
12-03-2012, 05:45 PM
This is similar to what the Lions did on Thanksgiving where they called something like 23 straight pass plays even though their run attack was working quite well. What's odd is that Mike McCarthy DOESN'T do this even though his run game has been garbage for 5+ years.

polmico
12-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Kudos to Bob Costas.

Vic2012
12-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Kudos to Bob Costas.

It was wrong. You don't do politics during a football game.

3LockBox
12-03-2012, 07:02 PM
It was wrong. You don't do politics during a football game.

He usually does - weekly

but please, please do start a new thread if this storyline is to be discussed further.

Vic2012
12-03-2012, 07:05 PM
I"m tempted to go on a rant but then the thread will get closed, because of politics. Let's not go there.

3LockBox
12-03-2012, 07:08 PM
I"m tempted to go on a rant but then the thread will get closed, because of politics. Let's not go there.

what we need is a steel cage forum!

Vic2012
12-03-2012, 07:09 PM
:lol

I gotta go back to woik tomorrow. Not goin' there. ;)

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Kudos to Bob Costas.

:up

NogbadTheBad
12-03-2012, 09:36 PM
God I hate John Gruden, has anyone ever talked more bollocks and got paid for it?

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Does Gruden ever criticize anyone?

Shadow
12-03-2012, 09:52 PM
God I hate John Gruden, has anyone ever talked more bollocks and got paid for it?

Rush Limbaugh

NogbadTheBad
12-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Does Gruden ever criticize anyone?Everyone is the greatest player to ever play at his position, he has no idea how to make a valid assessment of talent.

meimjustalawnmower
12-03-2012, 10:17 PM
It was wrong. You don't do politics during a football game. Then don't talk about it at all. Ignore the whole fucking thing, like it never happened, and just play football.

Gruno
12-03-2012, 11:32 PM
Everyone is the greatest player to ever play at his position, he has no idea how to make a valid assessment of talent.

Are we talking about Dan Dierdorf?

That tool on Monday Night Football would always say, "[insert name] is the best [insert player position] you will ever find in the game!". I remember Al Michaels responding once saying something like, "Well in the first half you said Elway was the best quarterback playing today".

I was watching MNF with my bro-in-law one time and told him to listen for when Dierdorf says that. Within the game, he said it. My bro-in-law would sometimes call me during the game to say he just heard hims ay it. It happened a lot.

Adrian
12-04-2012, 12:44 AM
^ Not as fun as listening for how many times Troy Aikman says "y'know" or "I mean" during a broadcast. I mean, I thought they taught guys, y'know, not to do that in the broadcast booth. Make a drinking game out of it, and you'd be unconscious by halftime.

progeezer
12-04-2012, 02:12 AM
Succinctly: Bob Costas put his balls on the line and I thank him for it. Gruden is absolutely the worst fucking color man in the history of televised football. Even Nicole & Ron's killer was better!:O

Vic2012
12-04-2012, 04:40 AM
Then don't talk about it at all. Ignore the whole fucking thing, like it never happened, and just play football.

Fuck it. I had a long, profanity-laced post in response to Mr. Ray-of-Sunshine but it really would be a shame to see this thread get closed down, ... because of goddamned politics. I understand now the appeal of making these private clubs. All it takes is one politically charged comment and the whole thing goes to hell. So yes Mr. Lawnmower, I'll just ignore it and talk about football.

polmico
12-04-2012, 07:02 AM
I should probably not have mentioned it. Costas' point (borrowed from Whitlock) was that we should be able to have adult conversations about this subject without it becoming overly sensitive and political. I think that's a wonderful thing to say; however, I also see that it's naive. I'm quite ok with dropping it and apologize for brining it up.

Giants lost to the 'Skins and muddy the playoff picture. Seems like it's time for the Giants to play with their backs against the wall again.

Scott Bails
12-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Succinctly: Bob Costas put his balls on the line and I thank him for it. Gruden is absolutely the worst fucking color man in the history of televised football. Even Nicole & Ron's killer was better!:O

Dierdorf is worse.

Gruden isn't critical enough, but he does some decent analysis. I do learn some stuff from him. Dierdorf is a waste.

NogbadTheBad
12-04-2012, 09:15 AM
I'm fine with Gruden when he's talking through plays and how some things work and others don't, that's good stuff, I just can't stand his effusive spewing on player ability.

Yves
12-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Even Nicole & Ron's killer was better!:O

I'll go one further: Even OJ was better than Nicole and Ron's killer!(Who is still at large, I may add. All we know about him is he liked to play golf and had unusually large hands).

Gruden tries to build everybody up. His unbridled enthusiasm about the game is why he was hired in the first place.

JAMOOL
12-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Let me be totally honest: I love Jon Gruden and I'd be really bummed if he quit MNF for a coaching job. I agree he talks guys up a lot (and really, if nothing else it gets you to learn the name of some obscure OT that otherwise would barely get mentioned), but he clearly knows his stuff.

Gruno
12-04-2012, 11:34 AM
I'll go one further: Even OJ was better than Nicole and Ron's killer!(Who is still at large, I may add. All we know about him is he liked to play golf and had unusually large hands).

I love OJ!! He was great on the field and in the booth!

I modified a 1975 Buffalo Bills action figure of his and it sits on my office desk:

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/goblynzgroove/misc/oj.jpg