PDA

View Full Version : Modern Proggy Indie Recs Please... (continued)

Poisoned Youth
11-03-2012, 11:29 PM
I thought I'd get this one started here. The thread that I started on PE has run over 4 years with lots of useful information. At some point it's possible we may archive that thread, but in the meantime, I'm just going to kick it off with the post that started it all back in August 2008. (of course, I've gotten a lot of those recommendations since then. :)

Just wanted to thank those who have helped me in the past negotiating this style as 'indie' music can be so vast that it's hard to wade through to find the right stuff. And these days, I find a lot of the 'modern rock' material more rewarding than the 1,952nd 70s rehash. My apologies to Terry as well who just blew his top at someone using the word 'indie' in a thread title.

Over the last year, here are some of the groups I've been diggin':

Muse, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree (of course)
Archive
The Grand Silent System
The Pineapple Thief
Pilotdrift
Minus The Bear
Gazpacho
Oceansize
The Amber Light

These ones did a little less for me but I still like them:

The Dear Hunter
Kaddisfly
Keane
The Receiving End of Sirens
Elbow

Jury is still out on (meaning I plan to hear more):

Dredg
Mew
Secret Machines

I was looking at stuff recently like Death Cab For Cutie, Modest Mouse, and post-rock stuff like God Is An Asronaut. Any recs are appreciated.

Sean
11-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Four years? That's pretty amazing when you think about it. :up

Sunlight Caller
11-04-2012, 06:02 PM
I can't profess to have read all recent posts in this thread, so this may have been covered already, but I was reading a review in The Guardian newspaper earlier of the Perth (Australia) band Tame Impala, they (actually ine guy and a bunch of pick up musicians from local bands) picked up a pretty good review for their first sold out 5,000 London venue. I quite enjoyed their first album, and have downloaded the latest off of eMusic, but have not listened yet. I think they would appeal to a few here though.

mnprogger
11-04-2012, 06:33 PM
some may dig them, but to be honest, I suspect I'll never get past the (poor man's at best) John Lennon thing.

Canvas
11-05-2012, 08:57 AM
October Tree-The Fairy's Wing...a new album under the Canvas Productions label....concept album and mildly proggy....less than an hour in length....

peppot
11-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Extra Life, Sholi, The Dead Science...

mnprogger
11-05-2012, 10:10 AM
It would be nice to hear about a new Sholi record in the works.

Esoteric
11-05-2012, 01:23 PM
I am biased but looking at what you "dug" I would recommend our Sanguine Hum-Diving bell title or Tin spirits-Wired to Earth.

Levgan
11-05-2012, 01:39 PM
I can't profess to have read all recent posts in this thread, so this may have been covered already, but I was reading a review in The Guardian newspaper earlier of the Perth (Australia) band Tame Impala, they (actually ine guy and a bunch of pick up musicians from local bands) picked up a pretty good review for their first sold out 5,000 London venue. I quite enjoyed their first album, and have downloaded the latest off of eMusic, but have not listened yet. I think they would appeal to a few here though.
I very much enjoy their last one, Lonerism, but it's psychy rather than proggy - there's much more early Floyd, MMT-era Beatles etc. there, than Yes or Genesis. Still, I thought this was a very effective retro throwback LP, and one I keep coming back to. At least an 11 Gnosis-wise.

spacefreak
11-05-2012, 03:06 PM
I very much enjoy their last one, Lonerism, but it's psychy rather than proggy -

I prefer their debut "Innerspeaker". More psych, sometimes in the early CREAM style, however it was somewhat unbalanced; a Gnosis 8 for me. It is true that "Lonerism" is less derivative -focused more in modern electronica than 60s psych- but somewhat the album does not work for me as a brain fryer. I need to relisten if that band holds meat for me or is it overrated like ANIMAL COLLECTIVE.

"Elephant" is a great Barrettian tune nevertheless...

Have you listened to the new MOON DUO "Circles"?

headcrash
11-05-2012, 04:35 PM
i.AB's album "Counting" with guest musicians Rick Musallam, Jim Matus & Bryan Beller, among others.

Also, check out Danny Brill's "Better Late Than Never", a fantastic sounding album with guests including Tony Levin & David Keyes, and mixed by David Hentschel.

Levgan
11-06-2012, 12:46 AM
I prefer their debut "Innerspeaker". More psych, sometimes in the early CREAM style, however it was somewhat unbalanced; a Gnosis 8 for me. It is true that "Lonerism" is less derivative -focused more in modern electronica than 60s psych- but somewhat the album does not work for me as a brain fryer.
To be honest, I thought Lonerism sounds almost exactly like Innerspeaker - it's either a very natural progression or no progression at all (it's funny that there are moments when these two descriptions, contradictory as they may seem, appear to be interchangeable). The modern electronica influence is mostly in the way the album has been conceived, with one guy playing most of the instruments, overdubbing them in the studio and then using lots of filters, effects, plugins etc. to make it sound authentic. In terms of melody and composition I thought it's 60s retro psych all around, sometimes even in a jammy Harvester mode.

I need to relisten if that band holds meat for me or is it overrated like ANIMAL COLLECTIVE.
I have grown a bit tired of them from Strawberry Jam onwards, but I would argue there were a lot of awesome moments on their first few albums, and seeing them live was a pretty marvelous head-tripping experience, I certainly did not get a feeling they were faking it. It's true however, that their formula started to wear thin somewhere in the process, and that it coincided with their unexpected breakthrough into the mainstream only made things more annoying. While they were a real eye-opening band, they stayed an underground sensation, and when they lost it, suddenly everyone became a fan.

"Elephant" is a great Barrettian tune nevertheless...
Great song indeed, although not really characteristic of the rest of the album - it's much more jam-heavy elsewhere.

Have you listened to the new MOON DUO "Circles"?
Not yet, but thanks for the reminder - I've been meaning to check it out!

NogbadTheBad
11-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Great to see you here Lev

Levgan
11-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Yay! Hello Ian (and all). I welcome the 3rd installment of PE, the old forum was charming in its own way, but very much obsolete. At least here the threads won't die after a month of inactivity!

Sunhillow
11-06-2012, 02:31 AM

I own both records, but their debut, "Innerspeaker", is the best IMO.

Sunhillow
11-06-2012, 02:33 AM
To be honest, I thought Lonerism sounds almost exactly like Innerspeaker - it's either a very natural progression or no progression at all (it's funny that there are moments when these two descriptions, contradictory as they may seem, appear to be interchangeable). The modern electronica influence is mostly in the way the album has been conceived, with one guy playing most of the instruments, overdubbing them in the studio and then using lots of filters, effects, plugins etc. to make it sound authentic. In terms of melody and composition I thought it's 60s retro psych all around, sometimes even in a jammy Harvester mode.

I have grown a bit tired of them from Strawberry Jam onwards, but I would argue there were a lot of awesome moments on their first few albums, and seeing them live was a pretty marvelous head-tripping experience, I certainly did not get a feeling they were faking it. It's true however, that their formula started to wear thin somewhere in the process, and that it coincided with their unexpected breakthrough into the mainstream only made things more annoying. While they were a real eye-opening band, they stayed an underground sensation, and when they lost it, suddenly everyone became a fan.

Great song indeed, although not really characteristic of the rest of the album - it's much more jam-heavy elsewhere.

Not yet, but thanks for the reminder - I've been meaning to check it out!

I'm jealous that you've figured out the multi-quote yet I haven't :huh

Levgan
11-06-2012, 02:53 AM
I'm jealous that you've figured out the multi-quote yet I haven't :huh
Relax, I haven't either - I've been doing it manually :lol

mitchgx
11-06-2012, 12:08 PM
For my money right now, the best release of the year (in the "proggie indie" category, anyway), is Circa Survive's Violent Waves. It's by far the band's best album. The songwriting is stellar and mature, the band is on fire, and Anthony Green doesn't sound grating at any point.

JAMOOL
11-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I just heard Extra Life's first album Secular Works and I'm really taken by it. It's dark, almost to the point of being metal at points, but the singer sounds like a choirboy with perfect pitch. Dunno about later albums but at least I can say that one is really something.

polmico
11-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Just to remind everyone, the new Diagonal is out.

mnprogger
11-07-2012, 03:14 AM
the new Foals album "Holy Fire" comes out on February 11th. Here's the 1st single/video for "Inhaler"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_PMvjmC6M

Superfly
11-07-2012, 07:42 AM
I own both records, but their debut, "Innerspeaker", is the best IMO.

I like the Lonerism album a lot, but yeah, Innerspeaker is much better I think.

Klonk
11-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I dig that Foals tune. I'm getting a sort of Minus the Bear/Lewis Taylor vibe from it and may have to explore this band a bit...

Poisoned Youth
11-09-2012, 06:38 AM
I dig that Foals tune. I'm getting a sort of Minus the Bear/Lewis Taylor vibe from it and may have to explore this band a bit...

I agree. I was getting a lot of elements from different groups like Pinback, Kiev, and Portugal. The Man. Thanks for posting, Kyle. Something new to investigate!

mnprogger
11-09-2012, 12:51 PM
sure thing. It doesn't sound exactly like their other 2 records, but if you like the new track, definitely check the others out. "Total Life Forever" and "Antidotes"

I used to see Foals as a mashup of Minus the Bear, Battles and Bloc Party, but with TLF, they went more in an epic layered area, kind of in the Pure Reason Revolution vein (just check out "Spanish Sahara" for example).

This new track sounds heavier than anything off their 2 records, so I'm wondering if they've been listening to some heavier/riffier music since TLF a couple of years ago.

mnprogger
11-19-2012, 12:55 PM
new Long Distance Calling album "The Flood Inside" is coming out March 1st, 2013.

bill g
11-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Some that I've been enjoying:

M Coast - Say It In Slang (proggy indy pop-lots of chords and melody)
The Smith Westerns (quirky xtc-ish?)
The Lighthouse and the Whaler (death cab meets Fleet Foxes?)
These Arms are Snakes (not too far from Minus The Bear?)
Julian Casablancas (ex-Strokes)
The Shins (you probably are already familiar with them)
Sharks Keep Moving
Apples In Stereo (kind of xtc ish)

Chazzyf
11-20-2012, 06:33 PM
new Long Distance Calling album "The Flood Inside" is coming out March 1st, 2013.
Love these guys and will be picking this up - great driving music!

Caught Foals on Jools Holland I think last weekend - dreary as fuck and dreadful vocals too. :(

Gotta love Crippled Black Phoenix too - especially 200 tons of bad luck.

marinaorgan
11-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Did we have these on the old forum?
Quadrilles
Ni
Hazel-Rah
Zoft
Aquaserge
Corima

The Gak Omek
01-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Public Service Broadcasting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGd-MulaoGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu4Rr07bgVQ

Scrotum Scissor
01-17-2013, 02:41 PM
I just heard Extra Life's first album Secular Works and I'm really taken by it. It's dark, almost to the point of being metal at points, but the singer sounds like a choirboy with perfect pitch. Dunno about later albums but at least I can say that one is really something.

Both of their following works, Made Flesh and Dream Seeds are absolutely excellent, rendering them one of my very fave current rock acts. And they are profoundly small-p progressive, as in wildly complex, eclectic and, well, just different/new/innovative. Think Magma, Swans and The Smiths rolled into one, and you're not even halfway there - and yes, I know it sounds unlikely to begin with. On Dream Seeds they are venturing even closer to the realms of avant-medieval/folk-rock, but the intense presence of Charlie Looker makes it inimitable. He used to be in Zs and Dirty Projectors, y'know.

This is some seriously densely written stuff;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wojZ47XhTEw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfjsGJj53RU

And while I'm at it, the very recently featured (and one/only) album by Chance:Risiko is among the 15-20 best "indie-progressive" records I've ever heard.

3RDegree Pat
01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Albums I'm digging lately:

Mutemath - Odd Soul (a little bit of Radiohead, Air and Black Keys blended together)
Tame Impala - Lonerism (as stated before - not quite proggy, more psychedelic)
The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar, but their new album comes out next week (epic, lush alt-rock with female singer)
Grizzly Bear - Shields (but I'm sure everyone's heard this one by now)
And So I Watch You From Afar - Gangs (instrumental math rock with some prog elements)

BrianG
01-29-2013, 09:31 AM
"IT'S ALIVE" (a la Robot Chicken) :lol
Great article which includes references to new music by Bjork, Godspeed and others mentioned in this list, proggy and otherwise, on
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/01/25/170299795/question-of-the-week-who-is-making-todays-most-original-music
Most of the best recommendations are in the comments section.

bill g
01-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Kingsbury Manx - reminds me of early Floyd's more acoustic side mixed with... not sure, something more modern?

The Paper Kites - not too far from the Kingsbury Manx sound.

Tennis - Kind of girl pop, but in an intelligent 'The Sundays' style. Lovely songs and well written.

mnprogger
01-30-2013, 02:05 AM
Kaddisfly

For those who didn't see it, late last week this was posted:

http://www.facebook.com/Kaddisfly?ref=ts&fref=ts

shi#'s about to get real

HGOS: MMXIII = Horses Galloping on Sailboats 2013

http://vimeo.com/58149012
https://twitter.com/kaddisfly

also for those who never saw it, they posted these back in 2011, for anyone who may want to play a little catchup.
http://kaddisfly.bandcamp.com/

TheH
01-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Both of their following works, Made Flesh and Dream Seeds are absolutely excellent, rendering them one of my very fave current rock acts. And they are profoundly small-p progressive, as in wildly complex, eclectic and, well, just different/new/innovative. Think Magma, Swans and The Smiths rolled into one, and you're not even halfway there - and yes, I know it sounds unlikely to begin with. On Dream Seeds they are venturing even closer to the realms of avant-medieval/folk-rock, but the intense presence of Charlie Looker makes it inimitable. He used to be in Zs and Dirty Projectors, y'know.

Made Flesh is proably the most intense album I heard in ages. This one is a real MONSTER. Very highly recommended!

Dream Seeds appears to be more reduced, I think it's closer to how they sound live. But it's still a very intense album.

Scrotum Scissor
01-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Made Flesh is proably the most intense album I heard in ages. This one is a real MONSTER. Very highly recommended! Dream Seeds appears to be more reduced, I think it's closer to how they sound live. But it's still a very intense album.

Great to see someone else share my view of an act as radical as Extra Life. If you haven't heard them, the closest Zs ever got to the ensuing sound of (the much more melodic) EL was their last full album with Charlie Looker, Arms (2007). And folks should listen carefully, as this is some of the most intricate "rock" being made these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be-tjAWhOv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P254ATcT2qw

Jerjo
01-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Can we have the mods delete this thread right away? This is going to cost me way too much money.

jlneudorf
01-30-2013, 07:12 PM
I'm really digging the latest Smashing Pumpkins - Oceana.

Regards,
Jon

TheH
01-31-2013, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=Scrotum Scissor;43541]Great to see someone else share my view of an act as radical as Extra Life. If you haven't heard them, the closest Zs ever got to the ensuing sound of (the much more melodic) EL was their last full album with Charlie Looker, Arms (2007). And folks should listen carefully, as this is some of the most intricate "rock" being made these days.
[/=QUOTE]

Thanx for introducing me to Zs, have to check them out further.

I made the surprising experience that stuff like "The Ladder" from Extra Life got mostly positive reactions from rather more conventinonal prog fans when I played it to them.

Scrotum Scissor
01-31-2013, 06:03 PM
Thanx for introducing me to Zs, have to check them out further. I made the surprising experience that stuff like "The Ladder" from Extra Life got mostly positive reactions from rather more conventinonal prog fans when I played it to them.

Actually, I'm not all too surprised at that myself; one of Charlie Looker's traits is that he renders painstakingly difficult charts appear a lot more simple than they actually are from a strictly theoretical viewpoint, which makes it all the more rewarding to listen to Zs or EL (or even his work on the first Time of Orchids album and with Dirty Projectors, although he didn't really write much for either) if you have a little "baggage". Some people make the mistake to think EL's music is "minimalist" or "easy-going" in terms of structure, which is bollocks in itself although the music does dwell primarily on texture as opposed to meandering form. It's when you actually start listening carefully to the webwork of interlocking patterns of notes, rhythm and the role of any given instrument's voice through it all that you come to realize how magnificent an accomplishment it is for someone to be able to play it in the first place. Still, their melodies are to some extent even tied to binary principles of circular structure, which I suppose is why "non-radical" progsters might fall for them.

TheH
01-31-2013, 06:26 PM
Actually, I'm not all too surprised at that myself; one of Charlie Looker's traits is that he renders painstakingly difficult charts appear a lot more simple than they actually are from a strictly theoretical viewpoint, which makes it all the more rewarding to listen to Zs or EL (or even his work on the first Time of Orchids album and with Dirty Projectors, although he didn't really write much for either) if you have a little "baggage". Some people make the mistake to think EL's music is "minimalist" or "easy-going" in terms of structure, which is bollocks in itself although the music does dwell primarily on texture as opposed to meandering form. It's when you actually start listening carefully to the webwork of interlocking patterns of notes, rhythm and the role of any given instrument's voice through it all that you come to realize how magnificent an accomplishment it is for someone to be able to play it in the first place. Still, their melodies are to some extent even tied to binary principles of circular structure, which I suppose is why "non-radical" progsters might fall for them.

That makes sense, I think you are right here. Didn't know he was with Time of Orchids, I only have their latest (last?) album and kinda like it.
Will look aout for that one too, it's Mellonwhisper, isn't it?

Scrotum Scissor
01-31-2013, 07:25 PM
Didn't know he was with Time of Orchids, I only have their latest (last?) album and kinda like it.
Will look aout for that one too, it's Mellonwhisper, isn't it?

Yes. Which is very different from Namesake Caution (their final record). I personally think the latter is one of the greatest progressive or even "prog" releases in the last decade or so - and definitely the most underrated overall. But Mellonwhisper is highly interesting for wholly other reasons (not least a 14-minute appearance by renowned avant-jazz-pianist Marilyn Crispell which has to be heard to be believed!), and it's excellent as well. The only ToO release which wasn't entirely to my liking was the Early as Seen in Pace mini-album (although there are some good material there too).

mnprogger
02-01-2013, 12:50 AM
Namesake Caution is tremendous. I enjoy every record they made, although I'll admit, it's been awhile since I revisited Mellonwhisper.

Progchuy
02-01-2013, 09:55 PM
How come nobody has mentioned Pepe Deluxé "Queen of the wave"???

Kavus Torabi
02-02-2013, 06:49 AM
Namesake Caution is absolutely devastating. Just remarkable.

mnprogger
02-02-2013, 08:49 AM
How come nobody has mentioned Pepe Deluxé "Queen of the wave"???

see my avatar.

I did mention it on the old PE and a few people responded. It is a tremendous record, 1 that i found so good, I recently purchased the *deluxe* edition.

http://asthmatickitty.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/AKR330_square_4712.jpg

Progchuy
02-02-2013, 11:00 PM
see my avatar.

I did mention it on the old PE and a few people responded. It is a tremendous record, 1 that i found so good, I recently purchased the *deluxe* edition.

http://asthmatickitty.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/AKR330_square_4712.jpg

YEAH!!! I did the same!!!!

The Gak Omek
02-08-2013, 05:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ3m9uy7dOI&feature=youtu.be

mnprogger
02-08-2013, 07:34 PM
new Foals album "Holy Fire" has some tasty tracks on it. The 2 standout being ""Milk and Black Spiders" and "Providence"..great classic Foals builds/crescendos.

mnprogger
02-12-2013, 03:02 PM
new Cloud Cult album "Love" is a little underwhelming. "1x1x1" is a great track, and there's like 3 or 4 other nice pieces, but melodically and energy-wise it doesn't seem to compare to Light Chasers or Feel Good Ghosts. But maybe it'll grow. Some interesting instrumental interludes at least.

TheH
02-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Totally overlooked

Miranda Sex Garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KpFUbyX6_o

mnprogger
02-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Revere

http://www.revereonline.co.uk/

new single "I Won't Blame You" is available now to stream. Stellar track, even as different as it is.

Barniac
02-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Not sure anyone has suggested these yet:

Everything Everything - what Gentle Giant should have done instead of Civilian. Jonathon Higgs has the most astounding voice and range.
These Ghosts. Another amazing vocalist and some great counter-rhythmic drumming.

mnprogger
02-15-2013, 10:30 AM
yeah, I don't remember if I mentioned them a page or 2 back, but I and some others have talked about Everything Everything in the past. I can't say I love their new record. It has some nice tracks, but it's flow and inconsistency hurts it compared to Man Alive at this point for me. Common case for myself, of a sophomore/follow-up slump.

TheH
02-15-2013, 12:41 PM
By the way thanxs for the Pepe Deluxe tip. Very fresh and outrageous stuff!!!

mnprogger
02-15-2013, 03:05 PM
your welcome. They're awesome (including some of their earlier music before Queen of the Wave).

TheH
02-16-2013, 08:48 AM
your welcome. They're awesome (including some of their earlier music before Queen of the Wave).

What of their earlieer stuff would you recommend

FredOCal
02-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I just got an email about this band playing at Webster Hall and decided to check them out - they're called Miracles Of Modern Science and they have an interesting lineup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RI8SoWxphHc

I was also blown away by Matmos recently. Although they're more electronica, I suspect they might fit the bill for some:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0YQoTUSZc8

bill g
02-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Local Natives - 'Hummingbird'

fictionmusic
02-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Great to see someone else share my view of an act as radical as Extra Life. If you haven't heard them, the closest Zs ever got to the ensuing sound of (the much more melodic) EL was their last full album with Charlie Looker, Arms (2007). And folks should listen carefully, as this is some of the most intricate "rock" being made these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be-tjAWhOv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P254ATcT2qw

very cool stuff....I remember reading about them in the New Music Box. I listened to their stuff but until now, never got around to checking out morer than one tune. Thanks for the reminder.

here is the New Music Box article:

http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/Olympics-to-New-Slaves-A-Short-History-of-Zs/

Scrotum Scissor
02-22-2013, 04:54 AM
here is the New Music Box article:

http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/Olympics-to-New-Slaves-A-Short-History-of-Zs/

Thx for this! Great read. I particularly enjoyed the part where they elaborated on what sort of musical phenomenon Zs actually constitute; the obvious negation of their already non-existent "crossover" status and the fact that the main member was a jazzer forced through courses in contemporary composition - as opposed to a classical geek with closeted "rock" pretentions graduating from Berklee or whatever.

marinaorgan
03-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Zs are great... highly recommended live (let's hope they're back in the UK soon).
Talking of UK gigs -
London band Poino are on tour in the UK at the moment - REALLY worth seeing (there's a free download off the album here http://poino.bandcamp.com (http://poino.bandcamp.com/)/ ):

6th – Drop The Dumbells - Liverpool
with: Staer (NO) + Stig Noise + Black Packers (NO)
https://www.facebook.com/events/487950741241676/?ref=ts&fref=ts

7th - The Bay Horse - Manchester
with: Staer (NO) + Stig Noise + Black Packers (NO)
https://www.facebook.com/events/481412205254916/?ref=ts&fref=ts

8th - Wharf Chambers - Leeds
with: Trans/Human + Etai Keshiki + Super Luxury
https://www.facebook.com/events/248804538585567/

9th - Norwich Arts Centre - Norwich
with: Concrete Knives + Harry George Johns
http://www.facebook.com/events/574901382522179/

10th - The Prince Albert -Brighton
with: Sweet Williams + Ümlaut
https://www.facebook.com/events/294251424011024/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Zonefish
03-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Several bands mentioned previously I enjoy eincluding Minus the Bear and dredg. One I haven't seen mentioned is Thank You Scientist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIpn68XKFK0

Haruspex Carnage
03-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Thank You Scientist are kind of like a more technical Coheed & Cambria for me really...liking Everything Everything (Coldplay meets Gentle Giant with electro)...

mnprogger
03-08-2013, 04:44 AM
What of their earlieer stuff would you recommend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zxo16Auzio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIIsXkOETBg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToXe4gjjlNc

mnprogger
03-08-2013, 05:03 AM
re: more Pepe Deluxe tunes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JL8l6EuwA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb0weR4YDIA

re: Miracles of Modern Science

I really dig them, as I got into them last year with their LP "Dog Year."
They just released a fantastic new EP "MEEMS"
http://miraclesofmodernscience.bandcamp.com/album/meems

They also recently posted a new video for a cover of the 80's Fine Young Cannibals hit "She Drives Me Crazy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0exTg7WGYg

afa Thank You Scientist, a lot of buzz on some of the forums about them the last few months. I honestly am not overly impressed by them. They're okay, but the vocal style does channel Claudio Sanchez or maybe worse, much of the Alternative Press/Absolutepunk Emo/Scenester stuff, that it kind of kills their music to a point for me. If people want to check out some amazing, modern heavy jazzy prog, I would recommend the last/latest record from instrumental band Media Addicts "Autonomy." Unfortunately they broke up late last year, but I love a ton of their epic new album.

Ironically, a band who does find a bit of a similar element, but I am loving recently, are called K Sera and their Casey Crescenzo-produced debut album "Collisions and Near Misses"
http://burninghouserecords.bandcamp.com/album/collisions-and-near-misses-2

I'm reminded of some bands from it such as 22, Panic at the Disco, Muse, As Tall As Lions and not surprisingly, The Dear Hunter. But the songwriting is good enough, they have seemed to have made one of the best debut records in this early 2013 season.

mnprogger
03-16-2013, 10:28 AM
the new Ours album is titled "Ballet the Boxer" and it could be released within the next month or less.

BrianG
04-17-2013, 09:58 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by an album by iamthemorning http://iamthemorningband.bandcamp.com/ - a Russian duet producing some exquisite acoustic piano and voice - based chamber prog, with an emphasis on very mature orchestrations and great dynamics. Do check them out and help them out if you can. Referring to the album to be downloaded, they say:

This version is the remastered version of our debut album. We released the album in April 2012, and remastered in october 2012.
All your donations will be spent for the recording of our second album - and without you, we have no chances, so we are eternally thankful. wish us luck.

mnprogger
04-22-2013, 01:33 AM
The Reign of Kindo are to release "Play With Fire" soon, but they also just launched an Indiegogo campaign to help the costs of it and making 6 in-studio videos.

I'm rather excited to see those videos soon.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-trok-produce-6-new-live-in-studio-videos/x/2421326

mnprogger
04-22-2013, 09:00 PM
new Janelle Monae song is very nice!
http://www.jmonae.com/queen

TheH
04-23-2013, 01:24 PM
The Reign of Kindo are to release "Play With Fire" soon, but they also just launched an Indiegogo campaign to help the costs of it and making 6 in-studio videos.

I'm rather excited to see those videos soon.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-trok-produce-6-new-live-in-studio-videos/x/2421326

Cool, Rhythm Chord & Melody was a killer Album. Hope it will be easier to get as the second one was.

mnprogger
04-24-2013, 01:05 PM
^they've already met their goal by quite a margin! I wouldn't be surprised to see TROK raise $30 or $40K before the campaign ends.

Annuals

bump.

new album "Time Stamp"..it may be their last. I'm digging a lot of it already. Favorites include the opening track Omnicide, Winslow, Sunday, 17, I Don't Care, The Rotary, Watagua and the pretty/sad last track Lil' Pitlins. Their really isn't much if any new types of music on it I suppose, and it may not have any tracks that are as breathtaking as some of their others, but it still seems to have enough good songs to me, to want to go back to it.

http://annuals.bandcamp.com/album/time-stamp

This is Time Stamp. Whether it's a swan song, a comeback, or something else... Even we aren't sure. This is the first Annuals full length in nearly five years with just five songs in between, and even those songs from Sweet Sister (which were supposed to be a quick "hold-you-over") have gathered some dust.
There have been good, bad, hard, and harder times since our departure from Canvasback and Columbia records in 2010. It seems we've all individually landed on our feet but for better or worse in different, separate places. The majority of Time Stamp has sat in a near-completed form for almost 18 months, the final stretch towards completion would cost the band essentially all of the money it had left to it's name. It's here now, with some measured degree of hope, that people will care enough to see that this might be a last ditch effort. We know we have friends and fans across the USA and beyond, we've met you and we've shared many joyful evenings together over the years. We skipped the crowd funding and went straight to getting out a final product. We hope you care about the project, can put something back into it, and to share it with your friends and loved ones. Thank you for all of the love and support you've afforded us all these years. This is for y'all.
credits
released 23 April 2013
All songs written and produced by Adam Baker

For the making of this record, Annuals is and was:
Adam Baker
Mike Robinson
Zack Oden
Nick Radford
Devin Downey
Kenny Florence
Whit Wright
Anna Spence
& Jenna Smith

The Gak Omek
11-20-2013, 10:24 AM
oneohtrix point never

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvDzaQOSZ3E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1QAM9rq1PA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNOMk9d6NI8

Jacob Holm-Lupo
11-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Not really indie, but some kind of modern proggy not really prog thing - track from the latest album with my "other band" The Opium Cartel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y48GFy4e5GU

Montag
11-20-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm surprised not to see Riverside show up somewhere in this thread.

Also, Kayo Dot, who I just saw here in Florida and they were amazing.

Lastly, a band from Sweden called The Deer Tracks, who on CD sound a little more like a glitchy electronica band but live come across with a very strong progressive feel.

mnprogger
11-20-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm finally seeing Miracles of Modern Science tonight in Northfield, MN!

BrianG
11-21-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure what I think of bands like Volcano Choir. With great pedigree and references to ambient and progressive, I enjoy them for the first few minutes, but I end up waiting for something more inventive to take off. Are they being purposefully conservative to court mainstream or is this the extent of their talents?
Any thoughts?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQeZfqbb0zk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQeZfqbb0zk

Scrotum Scissor
11-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Also, Kayo Dot, who I just saw here in Florida and they were amazing.

I've been a fan for some ten+ years, but I was not expecting anything like that onslaught of a record they just released (triple vinyl)! I'd travel a LONG distance in order to catch them, if at all possible.

Scrotum Scissor
11-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Not really indie, but some kind of modern proggy not really prog thing - track from the latest album with my "other band" The Opium Cartel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y48GFy4e5GU

Any chance of a gig in Oslo sometime next year, Jacob - or do you consider TOC a strictly studio-based endeavor?

Jacob Holm-Lupo
11-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Richard - the project is intended as a studio only thing. With half the "band" living outside of Norway, and most of them with incredibly busy schedules (Venke is recording her own new album right now) there's little chance of any actual gigging. The only feasible thing could be a one-off special showcase with a reduced line-up, possibly. Currently reviewing some options.

J.

ChrisXymphonia
11-22-2013, 02:00 PM
No idea wether she was mentioned already but I think in the context of this thread it is worth the time to check out what Charlotte Church has been doing lately. So far she has released 3 EPs which are all very very interesting and could certainly qualify as modern proggy indie. And this isn't some cunning marketing ploy to appeal to the 'kids' but a genuine musical expression of who she is artistically:

http://youtu.be/sZL1_v3urZg

http://youtu.be/jOusWGrLrdc

And here is a track from her latest EP Three and a very simple but effective video for:

http://youtu.be/iHDFRl4coGU

Haruspex Carnage
11-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Some cool new discoveries in here...much more interesting than all of the clones on the main pages...thanks!

Roth-Handle Studios
11-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Here is a track from Necromonkeys debut album, Necroplex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQmLeANzi0A

// Mattias

KGHofSF
11-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks indeed for the Various suggestions. Miracles of Modern Science are worth the price of admission, and a lot of the other suggestions are very interesting indeed |)

regards
KGH

:ipa

BrianG
12-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Stepping a little further out, get off the train in Brooklyn, NY, mix together an avant chamber orchestra, rock guitar and a female vocal trio, and you get The Knells.
http://theknells.com/
For fans of the best of Karnataka, as well as Asturias, maybe Dead Can Dance (but much more exciting), and not too much else is in the same locality. Thanks to NPR's All Songs Considered for finally reviewing something truly challenging.

Man In The Mountain
12-16-2013, 09:31 AM
No idea wether she was mentioned already but I think in the context of this thread it is worth the time to check out what Charlotte Church has been doing lately. So far she has released 3 EPs which are all very very interesting and could certainly qualify as modern proggy indie. And this isn't some cunning marketing ploy to appeal to the 'kids' but a genuine musical expression of who she is artistically:

Yes, we did a whole thread on Charlotte Church very recently, and I mentioned her in the female vocalist thread as well.

She's the real deal, best discovery this year for me. I have all 3 EP's and love them to bits.

bill g
12-16-2013, 05:27 PM
DUNGEN is a Swedish proggy/indie band, very good, with vocals in Swedish with scattered instrumentals that tend to be my favorites on their albums.

LIFE ON EARTH! is a project by the bass player of Dungen, this is more psych, also excellent, with vocals in english.

TAME IMPALA, from Australia, has been compared to Dungen, and though good, I honestly think Dungen blows them away.

MELODY'S ECHO CHAMBER is a project by the man who makes up Tame Impala. Female vocals, cool psychedelic sound.

embryo
04-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Check out Relic Radiation
This is one of their songs, pretty cool. You can find the whole EP or album pretty easily if you looked for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vRfN1qLuhg

Bungalow Bill
04-15-2014, 11:26 AM

http://youtu.be/sZL1_v3urZg

http://youtu.be/jOusWGrLrdc

And here is a track from her latest EP Three and a very simple but effective video for:

http://youtu.be/iHDFRl4coGU

Yes...best stuff I've heard in quite some time...

BrianG
04-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Maybe this should be on the Secret Chiefs thread, but Atomic Ape's new album out on Web of Mimicry records is really stellar! Here's what the label says (www.webofmimicry.com (http://www.webofmimicry.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=107)) , and I can attest to every word . . .

Here's some good news for fans of meticulously crafted instrumental music and records with major production efforts behind them. Mimicry Recordings artists formerly known as "Orange Tulip Conspiracy" have returned with a new lineup, a new sound, a new name -Atomic Ape- and most exciting of all, a new album called Swarm. The now-LA-based unit is still led by Jason Schimmel (Estradasphere), who has been honing this project for many years at studios in Seattle, San Francisco, and most notably at his formidable commercial studio in LA, The Bunker. He says it took over 4 years to record from beginning it to completing it... maybe he contracted some time-dilating virus during his time playing bass in Secret Chiefs 3 (rumors of him working on some of these tunes as far back as 2008 have been circulated). Also there's the cast of 25 musicians involved beyond the core live band, among them Mimicry-familiar names like Trey Spruance, Eyvind Kang, Tim Young, Devin Hoff, Jessika Kenney, Dave Abramson, Timba Harris, Steve Moore, and other heavy luminaries like Joe Doria, Danny Frankel, and Mike Stone. With the ethic of seeing something worth doing all the way through, and doing things the hard-but-right way for the musical aesthetics of the project, Swarm was mixed to 1/2" tape using only analog outboard equipment (this last step manned by the eminently capable Mimicry-familiar Justin Phelps). It's details like this - above all the care and consideration - that make the surf-drenched alternate universe of lost TV-land cop show soundtracks with 80 billion styles of music found on this record actually work - brilliantly. Mimicry is always proud to offer records like this one, those self-produced obsessions that go beyond the man hours, the massive track counts, the densely layered sections, meticulous packaging and art, and the dizzying range of musical styles and performances from all those heavy players... beyond all that, into the details!

Sunhillow
05-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Let's revive this thread (or should I start a third version? I haven't decided yet..

I'm quite digging The War On Drugs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LmX5c7HoUw

Jerjo
05-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Listening to that War of Drugs CD right now. Damn, the souncscapes here are incredible, as are the lyrics. This album really deserves a thread of its own.

Jerjo
05-18-2014, 05:47 PM
I'm finally seeing Miracles of Modern Science tonight in Northfield, MN!

I used to live in Northfield so I gotta ask, where the hell did they play? The old theater downtown or out at one of the colleges?

mnprogger
05-19-2014, 07:15 PM
I used to live in Northfield so I gotta ask, where the hell did they play? The old theater downtown or out at one of the colleges?

It was "The Lion's Pause" the theatre at St.Olaf, modeled after First Avenue. It's a cool place, I wish I could see more shows at.

Yves
05-20-2014, 02:41 PM
I haven't followed this thread because I was expecting a lot of Coldplay type bands being suggested... Now that I see names like Dungen being bandied about I need to know if any other neo-psyche bands are being discussed. Can I suggest the likes of:

Sleepy Sun
The Amazing
The Flying Eyes
The Besnard Lakes
Black Mountain
Quest For Fire
Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound
Heavy Water Experiments
Naam
etc...

Or am I straying too far away from the "proggy" requirements ?

Jerjo
05-20-2014, 04:54 PM
It was "The Lion's Pause" the theatre at St.Olaf, modeled after First Avenue. It's a cool place, I wish I could see more shows at.

'Bout time they got something on that campus besides halls for choirs. There's so many music majors there you couldn't throw a copy of Luther's Small Catechism without hitting one.

We used to see some decent acts (and some truly lousy ones) at the coffee shops downtown but the best was a blues band that played the old theater downtown.

Zalmoxe
05-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Not sure if The Darcys have been mentioned on this thread before (if they were, apologies). I kind of like this band from Toronto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2lHbvPEtk8

mnprogger
05-26-2014, 10:12 PM
yeah I saw The Darcy's a few years ago on tour when they opened for Ramona Falls. I remember liking them a bit, and I even purchased a record of theirs where they covered all of Steely Dan's Aja.

Grimus

I've been enjoying this Romanian's band music quite a lot over the last few weeks, namely their 2014 3rd LP "Emergence." Alternative Rock with some prog elements. Similar to stuff like Ours, Muse, VAST or Strata.

http://allmediareviews.blogspot.com/2014/05/grimus-emergence-2014.html

Archive - Axiom [OST]

just checked this out, very moody. It is an original soundtrack for a film of the same name. Some of it is really tasty and heavy in ambience. I may find myself enjoying it more than their last record already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo9TRICnDfw

The Gak Omek
10-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Lydia Ainsworth - Right From Real

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNjTDxfRPQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgAWdI-l25Q

The Gak Omek
11-26-2014, 12:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtuAh62Dc4

Phlakaton
11-26-2014, 12:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HtuAh62Dc4

This ^^^^ Really cool grooves and piano... and I dont normally like straight up piano that much.

The Gak Omek
11-27-2014, 01:05 PM
This ^^^^ Really cool grooves and piano... and I dont normally like straight up piano that much.

Yeah, these guys definitely put a new and unique spin on the traditional jazz trio. They are each monsters on their instruments.

Dusty Chalk
11-28-2014, 06:28 AM
Excuse if any of these have been mentioned already:

Fever Ray/The Knife -- I particularly like the solo album and Silent Shout -- their weird stuff (Tomorrow in a Year), not so much
Grimes -- Visions is a standout

miamiscot
11-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Cursive - I Am Gemini
Of Montreal - Lousy With Sylvianbriar
The Most Serene Republic - Population
These New Puritans - Field Of Reeds
31 Knots - It Was High Time To Escape
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Tao Of The Dead
Collections Of Colonies Of Bees - GIVING
Vessels - Helioscope
Liars - Sisterworld

Poisoned Youth
11-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Nice picks Gak and Scot.

I've heard GoGo Penguin before. Nice stuff.

mnprogger
01-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Mike Vennart solo record coming soon.

http://mikevennart.tumblr.com/

Divert Crisis

Having spent nearly 5 years keeping myself occupied - and having a little too much fun - playing guitar for the beautiful Biffy Clyro, I’ve spent an awful lot of time working out exactly what kind of music I want to make. I’m happy to report that my first ‘solo’ record is on the way. Those inverted commas are important - an old friend has been of invaluable help in pushing these songs up the hill. Countless sketches were made in posh hotel rooms in every corner of the globe, and some were then given focus and cohesion in the form of vocal melodies written by my former Oceansize cohort, Steve Durose. We’re kind of like a weird-rock Elton and Bernie. The record also features keyboards from none other than Gambler, former Oceansize guy and my partner in British Theatre. Drums were beat with exceptional vigour by Dean ‘Denzel’ Pearson. His playing is so good it’s actually kind of hilarious.Upon the release of this full length album, I’ll be taking these songs - with these very men - on tour.Expect announcements of shows as and when we’re allowed to reveal them.It’s been a long journey, dreaming up even the impetus for much of this material. I’m glad i arrived at a point where i’m once again making music that i want to hear.The record itself? It is a beautiful, noisy, fuzzy, epic, heavy, stupid, annoying, confrontational journey. It is fucking ace. I can’t wait to get it out there.

MJV
x

also for those who never saw, he released a track last year titled "Operate" that is pretty sweet.

http://mikevennart.bandcamp.com/track/operate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpgvJ_EJRUo

Maxschrek
01-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Kinda reminds me of elements present in The YES Album. I know that doesn't make it progressive now but it's still nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqP0Nv_4MUs

Maxschrek
01-11-2015, 11:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJJdB9gCAAA

Klonk
01-11-2015, 11:42 AM
That Mike Vennert song's not too bad...catchy chorus. I always liked Oceansize so I'll have to check this new one out.

Klonk
01-11-2015, 11:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJJdB9gCAAA

Very nice!

cannygoodlike
01-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Field Music fans might be interested in the recent Peter Brewis / Paul Smith album Frozen By Sight (http://www.frozenbysight.co.uk). I've only played it a couple of times in the car so far but have enjoyed it.

headcrash
01-13-2015, 06:53 PM
Kinda reminds me of elements present in The YES Album. I know that doesn't make it progressive now but it's still nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqP0Nv_4MUs

These guys were on Austin City Limits this past weekend. Very Phish-y, I thought, which for me isn't necessarily a good thing, but in this case I liked it quite a bit. They can definitely play, and the lead singer has a good voice, and a lot of charisma as well. And between the two guitarists and the bassist they have more pedals than the Tour de France.

mnprogger
01-13-2015, 08:17 PM
White Denim are good, although I can't say I'm as excited about them as I was a few years ago. But I certainly will check out what they do next as I really enjoyed a lot of D, and their last record from 2013 Corsicana Lemonade I've probably slept on more than I should, as the couple times I've listened to it, I liked a lot of it.

Dusty Chalk
01-15-2015, 03:38 AM
Archive get kind of proggy.

FredOCal
01-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Here's a cool new band I found - Avec Le Soleil Sortant De Sa Bouche. This is from their latest, "Zubberdust" and features somewhat of an indie/proggy vibe. The album is basically two long tracks that are broken up into four parts each, along with two other shorter tracks. I've just gotten this but my initial reaction is that it's a very nice album.
https://soundcloud.com/constellation-records/avec-le-soleil-face-a-linstant-part-2

The Gak Omek
05-17-2016, 10:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4F2_cWk8cY

The Black Light
02-27-2017, 04:00 PM
I thought I'd get this one started here. The thread that I started on PE has run over 4 years with lots of useful information. At some point it's possible we may archive that thread, but in the meantime, I'm just going to kick it off with the post that started it all back in August 2008. (of course, I've gotten a lot of those recommendations since then. :)

You mention most of my favourite bands in this post! You may like to check out our album as I think we sound like a lot of these:
https://theblacklightuk.bandcamp.com/album/all-forgotten-dreams
https://open.spotify.com/album/7f5CITiwfvtI5zdih1pEEm

Yodelgoat
02-27-2017, 05:25 PM
These days, what does a "release" exactly entail? Is this something that gets put out on Bandcamp, or does it require a label and physical product to be considered "released"?

mnprogger
02-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Fjokra has a new single coming soon, "Sick Kids"

totally excited for it.

https://twitter.com/Fjokra/status/836229007758741508

Yves
02-28-2017, 02:15 PM
If you like neopsych...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI9w3KcqodQ

Svetonio
03-01-2017, 12:18 AM
The best proggy indie-rock act IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMwjqTKeyS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdQx_c7UmJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNDyoGE-2w

mnprogger
08-09-2017, 01:46 AM
Mutemath: 2 original members have left the band. new album and tour still happening, but their future?

https://www.facebook.com/mutemath/photos/a.451137118011.234769.6647293011/10156511213308012/?type=3&theater