PDA

View Full Version : Any Prog Practitioners Around Phoenix AZ?

Stancotey
02-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Hi there. I'm Stan Cotey and I've been lurking around these parts for a while, happily reading, checking out new and old artists, and generally being immersed in music I've loved since I was a kid. I've played some of it too along the way and perhaps some of it has made it as far as here - from Giraffe and Kevin Gilbert in the '80s, 'sort of' Giraffe at Progfest in '94, to the fun Shaming show a few years ago.

So why am I here, now? I'm looking for prog coconspirators somewhere near Phoenix where I live to meet for prog beverages, talk about the music and see about creating some of it. I play guitar, keyboards, sing, write, record and mix and at this point (what you'd call zero) I'm open to any ideas or other instruments.

As far as what I'd like to do, I really like symphonic music but am not particularly drawn to trying to recreate the '70s. I also love Zappa and some fusion. I would eventually like to form a band/recording project with the idea of releasing music and playing the odd gig here or there.

So, anybody in my neighborhood interested in checking this out?

warrplayer
02-17-2014, 01:42 PM
What do you have against non Arizona residents? :(

I ended up collaborating with people from all over the world after failing to find anybody of like mind in my neck of the woods. For recording projects it can't be beat; it does make gigging problematic, but i'd rather record with Gavin Harrison and just find a local drummer if I were to line up a gig or two. :D. Easy for me to say though. I no longer gig at all due to multiple sclerosis.

This was recorded in Woodstock, NY; Topanga, Ca; Charlotte, NC; and Arlington,Tx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzobcufj3Hg

Stancotey
02-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Actually, I love non-AZ residents too but am looking more right now for an opportunity to get in a room with some people and see what transpires. I do recording work via the Internet currently and think it's an amazing thing but I'd rather pass stuff back and forth and watch it grow in realtime if possible.

Nice track btw! I really like the looping ostinatos and that to me while there are influences heard in there that none of it sounds particularly overt. If you feel like it, maybe pm me and let me know where I can find more of your music.

Gruno
02-17-2014, 03:05 PM
Glad to see you around here, Stan!

warrplayer
02-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Nice track btw! I really like the looping ostinatos and that to me while there are influences heard in there that none of it sounds particularly overt. If you feel like it, maybe pm me and let me know where I can find more of your music.

Thanks, Stan. I pm'ed you a couple more tracks. Would love to hear some of your stuff.

Dave

Stancotey
02-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Hey Gruno! Thanks. I've lurked here for years but don't frequently feel like I have a lot to offer, plus, Squids covers most of it anyway. :)

Dave, thanks for the links! I don't have anything linkable at the moment that can't be found commonly on youtube but I could easily send you stuff via yousendit or something.

And I'm not at all opposed to working remotely. I love playing music period. I'm just hoping for the elusive 'people in a room' thing that my friend Kerry Kompost enjoys so much with Heliopolis!

S

warrplayer
02-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Hey Stan,

Ever used Sendspace? PM me a link if you can post some stuff. Thanks!

Dave