PDA

View Full Version : Rik Emmett & Dave Dunlop Duo - what to expect live?

Jay G
11-03-2012, 08:24 PM
I just love Rik and have a chance to see these guys live in New Hope PA at a very small place. Problem is my son and wife will only be interested if Rik play some Triumph stuff. Wondering if anyone has ever seen these guys and what can I expect to see as far as content. Your help is greatly appreciated.

everythingtoexcess
11-03-2012, 09:25 PM
Tell me more, please...when? and where specifically?

Scott Bails
11-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Yes! I'd like to hear more as well, please.

Jay G
11-03-2012, 09:27 PM
Tell me more, please...when? and where specifically?

New Hope Winery January 26, 2013. They are also playing the Tin Angel in Philly this week I believe. It looks like he plays the same two places every year I just have yet to go so I have no idea what to expect.

everythingtoexcess
11-03-2012, 10:00 PM
It'd be great if they do Triumph tunes, and I have to believe he'll do at least one or two, but I'm going anyway. That sounds too killer to miss.

Jay G
11-03-2012, 10:05 PM
It'd be great if they do Triumph tunes, and I have to believe he'll do at least one or two, but I'm going anyway. That sounds too killer to miss.

I will most likely pick up tickets as a XMAS gift for them.

Nearfest2
11-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Rik usually includes several Triumph tunes. However, no matter what he plays, he is highly entertaining and a great storyteller.

roddenberry
11-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Rik usually includes several Triumph tunes. However, no matter what he plays, he is highly entertaining and a great storyteller.

Indeed, a very good show from a captivating storyteller and real nice guy. Truly enjoyed his set, especially his fabulous guitar skills combined with this fantastic voice which hasn't changed a bit in nearly 40 years! Go see this show, worth it X1000!
-Robert

Scott Bails
11-04-2012, 10:22 AM
You guys have me convinced. I'm going to have to put this one on my calendar.

Gruno
11-04-2012, 02:55 PM
I think I am the only one who likes the "Absolutely" album.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/18/Emmett_Absolutely_Cover.jpg

everythingtoexcess
11-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Absolutely is a GREAT album. His vocals are fantastic. He sort of down-played the guitar playing a bit compared to Ipso Facto, but he still cuts loose here and there. Stand and Deliver and Middle Ground are the standouts to me. I think there are others, but I can't think of them right now. I haven't listened to it in YEARS... I should go fix that.

Scott Bails
11-04-2012, 04:49 PM
I think I am the only one who likes the "Absolutely" album.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/18/Emmett_Absolutely_Cover.jpg

Incorrect! I really enjoy this one, too.

I haven't listened to it in YEARS... I should go fix that.

Yep - me, too.

Gruno
11-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Cool! I thought more would think it is too rock-lite to enjoy it.

I liked the melodic rock stuff that was coming out around 1990. Many thought it was too poppy. Along with Rik's solo, I liked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFv42YyigUg

everythingtoexcess
11-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Cool! I thought more would think it is too rock-lite to enjoy it.

I liked the melodic rock stuff that was coming out around 1990. Many thought it was too poppy. Along with Rik's solo, I liked:

Part of me wants to say it ain't Bad Company without Paul Rogers, but I did have this album and thought it was great. Brian Howe had a hell of a voice...what's he doing now?
Another great one from that era was Tommy Shaw's Ambition.

ForeverAutumn
11-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I also love Absolutely. It sounds a bit dated now, but still a great rock album.

As for Rik live, Triumph or not he's a fantastic showman and Dunlop is a top notch guitar player. You'll have a great evening and won't be disappointed. I've never been to a Rik Emmett show where he hasn't played at least a couple of Triumph tunes...and I've been to a lot of Rik Emmett shows. He lives about 45 minutes from me.

He and Dave are playing a show here in December that is being billed as "An Accoustic Night of Triumph". So they will be well versed in the Triumph tunes. That reminds me I need to book my reservations for that one. :)

Jimmy Giant
11-04-2012, 10:08 PM
We'll be here to see him:

Thu, January 24, 2013
Rik Emmett
8:00 pm

Rams Head On Stage
33 West St.
Annapolis, MD, 21401

Gruno
11-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Part of me wants to say it ain't Bad Company without Paul Rogers, but I did have this album and thought it was great. Brian Howe had a hell of a voice...what's he doing now?
Another great one from that era was Tommy Shaw's Ambition.

On that note, another release looked upon as sacrilege is this one that I rather fancied:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqhPyNMSF5M

progknocker
11-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Seen Rik with Dave in Toronto a couple months back, and they both were FANTASTIC. Highly recommend! They gave a high energetic performance.

It looks like he is playing a lot of Triumph tunes on this tour. Mike Levine was in the crowd which was cool - I think everyone was waiting for him to come on stage.

Looking forward to see Rik playing solo @ Dec 15th in Toronto @ Hugh's Room he's playing an acoustic set of all Triumph tunes.

Here are some videos of The Sound Academy - Toronto a few months back
Sorry about the quality - not the greatest but if you search for Sound Academy you might get better.
What was interesting is played a great version of Zep's Whole Lotta Love...

Midsummer's Daydream 2012 - Toronto with Dave Dunlop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yys-FNAuT8

Playlist - Rik Emmett Sound Academy - Toronto
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGiWrg0TKcBDwQfQRakAPcvkU07rXh7oo

CaffieneMan
11-05-2012, 01:07 PM
nice ^

Myried
11-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Rik always puts on an informative and entertaining show. He's such a great player, great singer, etc. I might have to attend the BB King's show in NY this Saturday...

Ed
www.myriadtrio.com
www.facebook.com/myriadtriony

Jay G
11-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Just purchased 3 tickets to the New Hope Winery show as an XMAS gift for my wife and son.

Jay G
01-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Saw this show last night. A super performance consisting of Triumph, solo and cover songs. Rik is still an amazing player and also a great story teller and commedian.

Reid
01-27-2013, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing this show since they'll be in town on a Saturday night.

Jay G
01-27-2013, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing this show since they'll be in town on a Saturday night.

I highly recommend it. For me it was a no brainer at $35 per ticket and my wife never did get to see Triumph.

Jimmy Giant
01-27-2013, 11:20 PM
We saw Rik Thursday night in Annapolis. What a great set. The guy is cool to boot. And he has a great partner in Dave Dunlop.
But boy, he looks so different since I saw him 20 years ago! His voice is a little more reserved with age, but he can still belt it out when he wants.
Very diverse range of material form some acoustic Triumph classics to blues, jazz, flamenco, classical.....just amazing.
Yeah, $35 is priced right for these days. Well worth it.