So.....anyone watch that Notre Dame/Pitt game? :O

Pitt came thisclose!

Oh well...

NogbadTheBad
11-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Nope but I'll probably watch LSU - Alabama

polmico
11-04-2012, 08:10 AM
We went out to eat, so I missed the Pitt/ND game. Caught most of UGA destroying Ole Miss (and all but wrapping up the SEC East). Caught the end of LSU/'Bama. Shit, LSU should've won that--could've won it at the very least.

Hunnibee
11-05-2012, 02:46 AM
Go Oregon Ducks! :cool

polmico
11-06-2012, 09:09 PM
UGA (for those who don't know, my alma mater) can wrap up the SEC East this weekend with a win against Auburn. This victory will secure Georgia's place in Alabama's stomp to the BCS Championship.

Still, we beat Florida, and that's always a good thing.

Losing to The Ol' Ball Coach on the other hand . . .

3LockBox
11-07-2012, 12:24 PM
I've lived in Washington (state) since '85 but could never bring myself to root for the Huskies, even when hometown boy Jake Locker was there. My teams are Michigan (where I was born) and Tennessee (where I was raised). When they're in down years (or down decades) I'll root for whomever floats my boat. The only constants are the ones I hate; USC, Miami, Alabama and Ohio State.

I'd like to see Oregon win it all, even if I'm sick and tired of their eye-gouging, shroom induced uniforms designs.

Scott Bails
11-07-2012, 12:27 PM
I'd much rather see Oregon than Alabama or Notre Dame.

Kansas State, unfortunately, probably has not shot, despite the possibility of going undefeated. :roll

Hunnibee
11-07-2012, 11:32 PM
I'd like to see Oregon win it all, even if I'm sick and tired of their eye-gouging, shroom induced uniforms designs.

Yeah, Eugene kinda smells funny, but I would still love to live there. ;)

I'd much rather see Oregon than Alabama or Notre Dame.

Thank you!!!

proggosaurus
11-08-2012, 02:37 PM
UGA (for those who don't know, my alma mater) can wrap up the SEC East this weekend with a win against Auburn. This victory will secure Georgia's place in Alabama's stomp to the BCS Championship.

what do you think of the Aggies chance against Alabama this weekend? they have a really good team this year but I expect Alabama's defense to be fired up after such a close call with LSU. it's still a game on my radar though.

I'm not too dissappointed in my teams performance so far this year. I didn't really expect the Huskers to be a great team. I am pleased that Martinez is finally becoming a better QB but they just haven't had the quality of linemen as they did in their NC years.

I'm not quite sure what to make of K State or Notre Dame yet. there's no doubt they have good teams but Oregon and Alabama seem to be the best.

moecurlythanu
11-08-2012, 11:58 PM

Spoken by a man who's never done shrooms, apparently. ;)

moecurlythanu
11-09-2012, 12:00 AM
what do you think of the Aggies chance against Alabama this weekend?

They're a good team, but they're playing Alabama. I wouldn't touch it for betting, but Bama should win, and they may cover as well.

polmico
11-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Ach! Ragin' Cajuns could've beaten Florida but had a punt blocked and returned in the last seconds of the game. Not that it would've made any difference in the SEC had Florida lost; I just fucking hate Florida. Nothing else exciting in the early games. Texas A&M and Alabama should be good. Guess I'll be rooting for my other alma mater against the hated Tide this afternoon. Gig 'em Aggies! :p

proggosaurus
11-10-2012, 04:35 PM
A&M and Alabama should be good. Guess I'll be rooting for my other alma mater against the hated Tide this afternoon. Gig 'em Aggies! :p

wow! I don't wanna jinx em but A&M 20 Alabama 0 1st quarter

polmico
11-10-2012, 06:59 PM
A&M might just hold on! :O

Vic2012
11-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Damn, my Hurricanes lost a heartbreaker yesterday to Virginia, by one effin' point. Shit. Not that the team's going anywhere but they're at least trying to get to a bowl (even if it's the Poulon Weedeater bowl).

I caught about a half of the TA&M/'Bama game. When you're top dog everyone wants to bring you down. I'm happy they lost (Alabama). I hate Nick Saban. Down here he's known as Dick Saban. :bad

NogbadTheBad
11-11-2012, 12:55 PM
So Oregon K State now favorites for the title game?

Garion81
11-11-2012, 06:33 PM
^Looks that way. Had to endure watching UCLA play at Pullman Washington last night at 7:30 PM with the tem
at 26 at game time. the stupid Refs made sure the game lasted until after 11.

Yanks2014
11-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Well, my team is back in the top 25, barely. Rutgers is #22. Huge game tomorrow in Cincy. If they win out the next three weeks, Rutgers goes to a BCS game, likely the Orange Bowl. So they control their own destiny. But one big game at a time. They beat Cincy last year, but this time they may be without their star running back. It will be a close game for sure.

I am soooo happy Alabama lost last Saturday. I watched the thrilling 4th quarter, great game! If the season ended today, no SEC team would be in the title game, that would be a nice change of pace. I'm pulling for Notre Dame to somehow move up a spot, but I'd be surprised if K-State or Oregon lost. I think it's K-State's year.

Scott Bails
11-16-2012, 10:20 PM
It's completely ridiculous that Notre Dame has the toughest schedule and will be locked out of the title game.

What a freaking joke.

Garion81
11-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Scott it really sucks but if all three win out who do you say no to? that is why playoffs are necessary unfortunately not this year. UCLA is up 17-0 over USC in the first quarter! Woohoo!

Yanks2014
11-17-2012, 11:44 PM
It's completely ridiculous that Notre Dame has the toughest schedule and will be locked out of the title game.

Well, things may just work out, Oregon and K-State both lost!

Garion81
11-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Well Scott looks like Notre Dame will be number 1 next week and all they have to do is beat USC in LA next week. The only thing that sucks is SEC is back to number 2. While most of the teams in the top ten were playing top 25 teams the top teams of the SEC were having a bye week against D-1-AA teams. Should Oregon and K-State only fall to number 4 just like Alabama? I doubt it and again the subjective crap prevails. Can't wait for the playoffs.

Yanks2014
11-18-2012, 12:26 AM
The only thing that sucks is SEC is back to number 2. While most of the teams in the top ten were playing top 25 teams the top teams of the SEC were having a bye week against D-1-AA teams. Should Oregon and K-State only fall to number 4 just like Alabama? I doubt it and again the subjective crap prevails. Can't wait for the playoffs.

I wouldn't call it a bye playing those teams -players can still get banged up, but they were joke games. I was hoping to have a title game with no SEC teams. Seems that is not going to happen. ND better win over USC, or we are looking at a potential all-SEC final.

Garion81
11-18-2012, 01:16 AM
I wouldn't call it a bye playing those teams -players can still get banged up, but they were joke games. I was hoping to have a title game with no SEC teams. Seems that is not going to happen. ND better win over USC, or we are looking at a potential all-SEC final.

I am sorry it is a bye week. They do this on purpose and are the only conference that does it constantly. The PAC 12 has 9 conference games. the SEC 7 The problem is why are they ranked higher? It is the preseason polls and if you only have to play one or two really hard games a year your never going to move far in loss. If you believe the SEC is a superior conference without them ever playing anyone outside the SEC then, of course, they are. I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. Alabama hasn't played on the west coast since UCLA beat them 35-24 in 2000. There is reason they don't. Playoffs cannot get here fast enough for me.

polmico
11-18-2012, 05:12 AM
or we are looking at a potential all-SEC final.

Which two? I don't see anyone but the winner of the SEC Championship playing for the national title.

polmico
11-18-2012, 05:25 AM
I am sorry it is a bye week. They do this on purpose and are the only conference that does it constantly. The PAC 12 has 9 conference games. the SEC 7

While I agree this is patently stupid, it does not make the PAC 12 better than the SEC. This isn't a pissing contest. There are facts. Besides the championship games (which you could debate are based somewhat on opinion), the SEC produces more NFL players. Georgia has 9 guys on the team projected to be in the NFL next year.

It is the preseason polls and if you only have to play one or two really hard games a year your never going to move far in loss.

No one in any division plays more than one or two really hard games. Playing Vandy is easy every year. Playing Auburn this year was easy. But that's not always the case. Last year, UGA got LSU and 'Bama. Add in Florida and South Carolina, and that was one bitch of a schedule.

I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. Alabama hasn't played on the west coast since UCLA beat them 35-24 in 2000. There is reason they don't.

And it's the same reason west coast teams don't play on the east coast.

Playoffs cannot get here fast enough for me.

But on this we agree.

When I lived in AZ, I tried to explain to my friends--many of whom had never lived in the southeast or even east of the Mississippi--why SEC football was so much better that PAC 12 football. I think a lot of it comes down to geography. The SEC teams are all just so much closer to each other.

But I realize that it really just comes down to where you're from. I'm sure it's frustrating to hear how superior the SEC is. I'm sure a playoff will even this out. Until then, a PAC 12 team is going to have to beat an SEC team in a championship game, and unless 'Bama loses to Auburn, UGA loses to Tech or Notre Dame loses to USC, that ain't going to happen.

Vic2012
11-18-2012, 07:03 AM
. Playoffs cannot get here fast enough for me.

I'm with you. Never understood why this division can't have a playoff. All the lower divisions do, but the top div./conferences are a popularity contest.

moecurlythanu
11-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Well, Notre Dame will be No. 1, as they should. I don't think they're truly top 5, but they are unbeaten and deserve the spot.

Hal...
11-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Anyone see the end of regulation play in the OSU-Wisconsin game? Montee Ball, about to break the NCAA (Div I) record for TDs in a career (by a RB), dives toward the goal line from the 1 yard line to tie the game and go into OT. Unfortunately for him, he led with the ball which was punched out and into the arms of OSU. As much as I respect Ball (& Wisconsin), I had to laugh, which I did loudly! Of course, I do live in Columbus. ;)

I think a lot of it comes down to geographyNah. Aside from the fact that they have some good coaches down there, it all boils down to recruiting and the SEC generally have the best recruits overall. This is due to two very important factors for the recruits:
They're playing in the Southeastern US. It's warmer down there. Most players don't want to play in subfreezing temperatures and/or snow.
A little more relaxed academic standards for the players.

Hal...
11-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Well, Notre Dame will be No. 1, as they should. I don't think they're truly top 5, but they are unbeaten and deserve the spot.And OSU? They're not bowl eligible, this year, but they're also the only other undefeated team in the FBS.

Yes, Ohio State can win a national championship in 2012:
http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/1711923&usatref=sportsmod?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports |p

moecurlythanu
11-18-2012, 12:50 PM
And OSU? They're not bowl eligible, this year, but they're also the only other undefeated team in the FBS.

Yes, Ohio State can win a national championship in 2012:
http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/1711923&usatref=sportsmod?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports |p

First, let me say that I am an Ohio State Buckeye fan, and have rooted for them since around 1970.

This OSU team, while undefeated, is not a top caliber team. Their record is distorted by virtue of being in the B1G, which is in such a sorry state as I have never seen in my entire life. There are at least 4 SEC teams which are better than the Bucks (Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, and possibly Florida and Mississippi St as well.) Florida St is better than OSU. So is Oregon, possibly Notre Dame, and probably Kansas St, Oklahoma St, and Oklahoma from the Big 12. They'd have trouble with TCU & Baylor as well. In a playoff, their defense would be exposed and they'd be out soon.

Having said all that...Watch out...Urb is building a monster in Cow Town. He's taken essentially the same team that won 6 games last year to an undefeated 12-0 season. (Yes, I'm giving Meatchicken no chance next weekend. The Maids in Blue are toast.) Wait till he gets a couple more of his recruiting classes in...It's too bad that Braxton isn't a year younger, but Urb will hoist the trophy sometime in the next 3 years. Bank on it.

Hal...
11-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Their record is distorted by virtue of being in the B1G
Agreed.

There are at least 4 SEC teams which are better than the Bucks
Agreed.

possibly Florida and Mississippi St as well.) Florida St is better than OSU. So is Oregon, possibly Notre Dame, and probably Kansas St, Oklahoma St, and Oklahoma from the Big 12. They'd have trouble with TCU & Baylor as well
Alright, well, it's obvious you're on drugs. We'll talk when you sober up. :lol

Hal...
11-18-2012, 01:07 PM
I forgot...

My point was that just because a team's undefeated doesn't mean they're the best in the nation. (eg. Notre Dame)

Garion81
11-18-2012, 01:29 PM
While I agree this is patently stupid, it does not make the PAC 12 better than the SEC. This isn't a pissing contest. There are facts. Besides the championship games (which you could debate are based somewhat on opinion), the SEC produces more NFL players. Georgia has 9 guys on the team projected to be in the NFL next year.

I never said they were better I said how can we just say the SEC is the best when they purposely don't play any good division programs. I understand in any given year you can play a team having a down year because they are scheduled so far out but come on you have to play at least one BCS out of conference opponent and stop the cupcake games in November. At least play 8 conference games.

On another point California has produced more players on NFL rosters than any other state including Florida and Texas. Most of California players play on the Pac12, The Mountain West and the Western Athletic Conference. I think it is just the emphasis of the conference philosophy of where you play your best athletes. The Pac-12, well the entire west in general, emphasize offense while the SEC chooses defense. The perception is because they play defenses they are better. I think Texas A&M kind of put a dent in that argument.

No one in any division plays more than one or two really hard games. Playing Vandy is easy every year. Playing Auburn this year was easy. But that's not always the case. Last year, UGA got LSU and 'Bama. Add in Florida and South Carolina, and that was one bitch of a schedule.

One year doesn't prove that they are the best. I think like every conference including the SEC has 2-4 very good teams and then 4-6 mediocre and 1-2 bad teams.

And it's the same reason west coast teams don't play on the east coast.

That is not entirely true. UCLA had a home and home coming up with Georgia 4 years ago and Georgia canceled it. UCLA has had a home and home with Tennessee, Texas and Nebraska. USC played at Syracuse this year. I can't go through every school but there is more of commitment with the Big 12, Big 10 and Pac 12 to play these types of series but not the SEC. Tennessee seems to be the only school to do that. Oregon played at LSU last year. Didn't see LSU coming to Oregon.

But on this we agree.

Playoffs was the whole sum of my rant.

When I lived in AZ, I tried to explain to my friends--many of whom had never lived in the southeast or even east of the Mississippi--why SEC football was so much better that PAC 12 football. I think a lot of it comes down to geography. The SEC teams are all just so much closer to each other.

But I realize that it really just comes down to where you're from. I'm sure it's frustrating to hear how superior the SEC is. I'm sure a playoff will even this out. Until then, a PAC 12 team is going to have to beat an SEC team in a championship game, and unless 'Bama loses to Auburn, UGA loses to Tech or Notre Dame loses to USC, that ain't going to happen.

Well until they settle it on the field it is about opinion and bias. I never watch the championship game as my own protest to the absurdity of it all.

moecurlythanu
11-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Alright, well, it's obvious you're on drugs. We'll talk when you sober up. :lol

You don't know College Football and that means I'm on drugs? Maybe you oughta start doing drugs. ;)

Yanks2014
11-18-2012, 08:43 PM
My point was that just because a team's undefeated doesn't mean they're the best in the nation. (eg. Notre Dame)

ND has the best defense in the nation -really hard to argue against. They have had a schedule full of many good teams (and no games against FCS schools). They are the only undefeated team in the nation (Ohio State does NOT count). Hard to argue against them being the best. And the best part is, if they win next Saturday, they get to prove they are the best in January. Playoffs are better, sooooo much better of course. But at least we will get the top two ranked teams, and it should be pretty clear who the champion is this year. Had there been that 4 way tie of undefeated teams, which was possible just 2 weeks ago, it would be very muddy, even after the title game. Not the case this year. I hate the BCS, but this year it may work out correctly.

Scott Bails
11-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Had there been that 4 way tie of undefeated teams, which was possible just 2 weeks ago, it would be very muddy, even after the title game. Not the case this year. I hate the BCS, but this year it may work out correctly.

I was really rooting for the 4 undefeated teams, just to absolutely prove the stupidity of the NCAA.

The BCS by definition never works out correctly.

Scott Bails
11-18-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm with you. Never understood why this division can't have a playoff. All the lower divisions do, but the top div./conferences are a popularity contest.

Division I football is the only NCAA sport who's champion is not crowned after a playoff.

Beyond stupid.

Well, Notre Dame will be No. 1, as they should. I don't think they're truly top 5

They have the toughest schedule of all of the teams that were undefeated two weeks ago - I despise ND, but they absolutely deserve to be #1

I forgot...

Of course they are - by the criteria that is set forth right now.

I'll counter that it should be impossible for an undefeated team to be ranked below a team with any losses.

moecurlythanu
11-18-2012, 09:16 PM
There is a difference between actually being the best and being ranked Number 1. That's why I said "Notre Dame will be No. 1, as they should. (But) I don't think they're truly top 5." I can name at least 5 teams that I am confident are better than ND and would beat them in a Playoff. That is irrelevant to the fact that they deserve the number one spot in the rankings as of right now, based on their record.

Scott Bails
11-18-2012, 09:38 PM
I can name at least 5 teams that I am confident are better than ND and would beat them in a Playoff.

This is exactly why a playoff is needed.

There are people who actually vote for this disaster who feel the same way.

Yanks2014
11-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I can name at least 5 teams that I am confident are better than ND and would beat them in a Playoff.

OK, I'll bite, name the 5 teams. I'll give you Alabama. Beyond that, I can't think of any that are clearly better.

polmico
11-19-2012, 04:13 PM
There are five teams at least that I think are better than ND, but I'm not confident any of them could beat ND in a playoff. Lots can happen on a football field that makes predictions look stupid and confidence bets dry up.

strawberrybrick
11-20-2012, 08:53 AM
ND also doesn't have a Conference championship game to play, which you can't say for SEC, ACC, Big 10, Pac12 etc teams.

Scott Bails
11-20-2012, 09:23 AM
ND also doesn't have a Conference championship game to play, which you can't say for SEC, ACC, Big 10, Pac12 etc teams.

Last year's Alabama team is proof that this doesn't matter - without a proper playoff.

Facelift
11-20-2012, 10:40 AM

This year, that championship game is the only way you can get Alabama or Georgia to end up having played even a moderately difficult schedule. Georgia in particular has played about as soft a schedule as one could deem possible for an SEC team.

PindralProgger
11-20-2012, 11:18 AM
To be sung to the music of the Ohio State fight song:

Liquidate Ohio State and turn the Buckeyes blue.

They breed a lot of cattle in Columbus

It looks just like a zoo.

Knock them off their ivory towers

Send them crawling into the showers

Down with Ohio State

It’s a no nothing party school.

They say the girls who go to O.S.U.

Are husband hunting dames

They dig the jocks who got the killer instinct

Not the boys with brains

At Columbus you’re way ahead

With straight A’s in Physical Ed

Down with Ohio State

It’s a no nothing party school

Bust your guts for Meyer

Move your butts for Meyer

Liquidate Ohio State and turn the Buckeyes blue

It looks just like a zoo

Rah! Rah! Rah!

Down with Ohio State

It’s a know nothing party schoooooooooool.

Go Blue! And it's pronounced Meeeeeeeechigan, not Meatchicken.....doesn't surprise me you Buckeye fans get that wrong. ;)

Scott Bails
11-20-2012, 01:16 PM
Maryland and Rutgers joining the Big 10 (Why do we still use the "10" anyway?). Will the Big East even continue?

polmico
11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
This year, that championship game is the only way you can get Alabama or Georgia to end up having played even a moderately difficult schedule. Georgia in particular has played about as soft a schedule as one could deem possible for an SEC team.

True, but it's been a down year for the teams they played. Auburn and Tennessee both have coaches that should be fired/have been fired (Dooley got canned yesterday), but both could be so much better in any given year. Again, the Dawgs got lucky this year, and if they had showed up to play the fuckin' 'Cocks, we'd be number one right now.

Yanks2014
11-20-2012, 02:18 PM
Go Blue! And it's pronounced Meeeeeeeechigan, not Meatchicken.....doesn't surprise me you Buckeye fans get that wrong. ;)

Funny song lyrics! Too bad I can't stand Michigan nearly as much as OSU. And in 2 years, I get to play both! Can't wait to see what Rutgers can do in that conference. I have this dream of watching RU go into Michigan stadium making 110,000 fans real quiet! We might also get slaughtered, but its still a nice dream to have.

PindralProgger
11-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Maryland and Rutgers joining the Big 10 (Why do we still use the "10" anyway?). Will the Big East even continue?

As I'm sure you know, the Big Ten is one of the most iconic brands in all of sports so I get why the name stays. However, to me it's always been associated with the Midwest and the "hearty" people the region is known for, which is why I think Penn State and Nebraska are good fits and didn't mind that expansion with those teams. I do not get why Maryland and Rutgers are even being considered....clearly a money grab by all involved...no disrespect for Maryland or Rutgers, but too bad.

Facelift
11-21-2012, 02:13 AM
As I'm sure you know, the Big Ten is one of the most iconic brands in all of sports so I get why the name stays. However, to me it's always been associated with the Midwest and the "hearty" people the region is known for, which is why I think Penn State and Nebraska are good fits and didn't mind that expansion with those teams. I do not get why Maryland and Rutgers are even being considered....clearly a money grab by all involved...no disrespect for Maryland or Rutgers, but too bad.

You don't? The DC market and the NYC market. Both sides are in it for money. Granted, Rutgers is more of a gamble because not that many people in NYC care all that much about them, but maybe they will when Rutgers is playing Ohio State and Michigan every year. Plus, Rutgers is a fine school befitting the Big Ten. Maryland's basketball program makes them attractive.

Yanks2014
11-21-2012, 01:12 PM
NYC may not care much about Rutgers, but most of NJ does. There was quite a buzz this year in Jersey as they started off 7-0. And if they win the next two games, their bowl game this year will be a very big deal. I recall the night of the biggest game in school history 6 years ago, the win against then #3 Louisville, they had the Empire State building lit up in Scarlett red. So even NYC noticed. They can reach an even higher level this year, and I think many NYers will be watching and will totally take notice. As it is, RU sells 50 thousand seats a game, so I can imagine another stadium expansion will be needed for games they will host against the likes of OSU and Michigan. If RU does not fall flat on it's face, their games will be a very big deal even in the oversaturated NY/NJ sports market.

moecurlythanu
11-21-2012, 10:41 PM
OK, I'll bite, name the 5 teams. I'll give you Alabama. Beyond that, I can't think of any that are clearly better.

Well, I see Notre Dame roughly on a par with Ohio St this year, with the difference being that team strengths are reversed. You can look at what I said about OSU above and glean how I think things would sort out for ND, but I'd probably give ND the edge over OSU, which would change that analysis a wee bit maybe.
But since I said 5, and you asked...Alabama, Georgia, Oregon, Kansas St, Florida St, LSU, Texas A&M are all better than Notre Dame and would beat them in a Bowl/Playoff. Wait,..that's more than 5....Wait,...This is PE!

moecurlythanu
11-21-2012, 10:44 PM
To be sung to the music of the Ohio State fight song:

Liquidate Ohio State and turn the Buckeyes blue.

It looks just like a zoo.

Down with Ohio State

It’s a no nothing party school.

They say the girls who go to O.S.U.

Are husband hunting dames

They dig the jocks who got the killer instinct

Not the boys with brains

At Columbus you’re way ahead

With straight A’s in Physical Ed

Down with Ohio State

It’s a no nothing party school

Bust your guts for Meyer

Move your butts for Meyer

Liquidate Ohio State and turn the Buckeyes blue

It looks just like a zoo

Rah! Rah! Rah!

Down with Ohio State

It’s a know nothing party schoooooooooool.

Some serious angst going on in Meatchicken. Understandable. Soon Psychiatry offices will be as common as 7-11s. ;)

moecurlythanu
11-21-2012, 10:48 PM
It's always struck me as incredibly strange that a huge population center like New York (or even New York state for that matter) does not have a major university as regards college sports. (And no, Syracuse or St. Johns occasionally breaking surface in Basketball doesn't count.)

Facelift
11-22-2012, 12:45 AM
It's always struck me as incredibly strange that a huge population center like New York (or even New York state for that matter) does not have a major university as regards college sports. (And no, Syracuse or St. Johns occasionally breaking surface in Basketball doesn't count.)

I guess, but there are a number of other big cities that don't, either.

NogbadTheBad
11-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Do Big City focus more on Pro teams? I tend to think College Teams get huge when they don't have Pro Teams.

Hal...
11-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Soon Psychiatry offices will be as common as 7-11s:rofl

There are a lot of good OSU & Michigan jokes out there, but the best, imo, is this one:

Did you hear about the Michigan student who transferred to OSU?

It raised the GPAs of both schools.

Living in C-Bus, I shouldn't like that joke, but hell, it's clever.

My favorite anti-Michigan things:

PindralProgger
11-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Some serious angst going on in Meatchicken. Understandable. Soon Psychiatry offices will be as common as 7-11s. ;)

I grew up in NW Ohio , and we were only 45 minutes from Ann Arbor (mom's side of the family is from Michigan...spent a lot of time going up there). I first heard that song listening to the late, great Bob Ufer on CKLW out of Detroit in the late 70's, Earl Bruce was the OSU coach, "Bust your guts for Brucy, Move your butts for Brucy." :D

I do miss being back there during this rivalry week...fun times.

My Facebook profile pic this week.
http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc6/c11.1.160.160/308504_2479230792132_876215495_n.jpg

moecurlythanu
11-22-2012, 11:26 AM
^ I must be about an hour away from where you lived.

We understand Michigan's plight lately all too well. We suffered through the John Cooper years.

PindralProgger
11-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Bowling Green 1974-1986.

moecurlythanu
11-22-2012, 12:31 PM
I went to school there 1979-1981.

You must have been quite a minority in BG. :)

PindralProgger
11-22-2012, 12:54 PM
BGSU grad 1986. :)

Hal...
11-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Bowling Green???

Go Falcons!

I used to live in Lima. Worst 6 years of my life. One of the few good things about it was we got WBGU, the PBS station in BG.

PindralProgger
11-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Falcon football was 11-1 in 1985...one of their best seasons ever....went to every game. I think in 1991 they cracked the Top 25 rankings for the first time in school history. Also, Urban Meyer was coach in 2001-2002 , I believe. He engineered one of the best turnarounds in NCAA history...taking an, at the time, losing program and turned it into a winner (2-8 into 8-2 the next year - or something)..was one of his first head coaching gigs....then onto Utah and Florida(2 National championships(?) Now he's sold his soul to the Scarlet (and gray) Devil. ;)

Surprisingly enough BGSU football has been on cable TV three times this year so have gotten to watch.....kinda cool.

Little known fact, the Cleveland Browns got their uniform color scheme from BG....orange and brown. Guess back in the early years the Browns did their preseason practices in Bowling Green.

Hal...
11-23-2012, 05:43 PM
I just realized, you were at BG the same time a bunch of my old middle school friends were there. They were all nursing majors. Why they ended up at BG I never found out, but they would have graduated in '85... if they finished in 4 years, of course.

Myself, I'm a Bobcat. How hilarious was it when Rufus tackled Brutus?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=577hN8tQM6g

Still cracks me up! :lol

Here's another view of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcHS5Y99fXg

:rofl

Hal...
11-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Now he's sold his soul to the Scarlet (and gray) Devil. ;)
Bah. :meh

Urban Meyer was a graduate assistant under Earle Bruce at OSU. He's stated that his position at OSU is a dream job and he's wanted to coach here for a long time. Now, he might just be blowing smoke up our asses, but any coach would want to coach here, so I'll take him at his word.

PindralProgger
11-23-2012, 08:00 PM
When the truth comes out about the OSU cash for memorabilia scandal that cost Tressel his job, we'll find out it was Meyer behind it so he could take his "dream job" He's very cunning, runs with the devil. ;)

He also has a fucking potty mouth, "Ohio State coach Urban Meyer: 'Let's beat the shit out of Michigan' " (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21106684/ohio-state-coach-urban-meyer-lets-beat-the-s----out-of-michigan) :lol

moecurlythanu
11-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Falcon football was 11-1 in 1985...one of their best seasons ever....went to every game. I think in 1991 they cracked the Top 25 rankings for the first time in school history. Also, Urban Meyer was coach in 2001-2002 , I believe. He engineered one of the best turnarounds in NCAA history...taking an, at the time, losing program and turned it into a winner (2-8 into 8-2 the next year - or something)..was one of his first head coaching gigs....then onto Utah and Florida(2 National championships(?) Now he's sold his soul to the Scarlet (and gray) Devil. ;)

So, how does a kid from a respectable, upright community like Bowling Green lose his way and fall into the saan and deegruhdayshun of rooting for Meeeshigan? ;) Parents who were alums?

moecurlythanu
11-23-2012, 08:03 PM
"Ohio State coach Urban Meyer: 'Let's beat the shit out of Michigan' " (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21106684/ohio-state-coach-urban-meyer-lets-beat-the-s----out-of-michigan)

Sounds like a plan!

moecurlythanu
11-23-2012, 08:05 PM
I used to live in Lima. Worst 6 years of my life.

Poor man. That is a rat hole.

PindralProgger
11-23-2012, 08:05 PM
So, how does a kid from a respectable, upright community like Bowling Green lose his way and fall into the saan and deegruhdayshun of rooting for Meeeshigan? ;) Parents who were alums?

It's called taste. ;)

PindralProgger
11-23-2012, 08:07 PM
I do like the OSU marching band, however, (former band geek) this is and has been one of the all time band classics...script Ohio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEBw5XvguD4

moecurlythanu
11-23-2012, 08:09 PM
It's called taste. ;)

???

Dude, that's...weird. ;)

PindralProgger
11-23-2012, 08:13 PM

My mom's a diehard Michigander...from up der in da U.P. eh. Got the Blue Blood from her. (spent a lot of time in Michigan during those BG years)

Hal...
11-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I do like the OSU marching band, however, (former band geek) this is and has been one of the all time band classics...script Ohio.
Well, they are The Best Damn Band In The Land.

BTW, did you know that it was actually Michigan who first performed Script Ohio? It was done as a way to welcome OSU to Ann Arbor, back when sports was gentlemanly and teams had a high regard for sportsmanship.

Hal...
11-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Before I forget...

OHIO STATE - 26 ... Michigan - 21!!!!!

Yep, OSU and Urban Meyer go undefeated!

Hal...
11-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Poor man. That is a rat hole.
You have no idea. When my ex and I lived there, Lima was #2 in the state for crime per capita and Allen County (where Lima's located) was #1 for the amount of air pollution (99% of it from the BP refinery).

Yeah, it was a real vacation spot... if you're an underground mutant from Futurama.

Scott Bails
11-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Before I forget...

OHIO STATE - 26 ... Michigan - 21!!!!!

Yep, OSU and Urban Meyer go undefeated!

Easy to go undefeated when you're only playing exhibition games. ;):P

moecurlythanu
11-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Easy to go undefeated when you're only playing exhibition games. ;):P

Yeah, I saw the crawl on one of the other games showing unranked Ohio St beat 19th ranked Meeeshigan, and my first thought was "My, what an upset." :roll

polmico
11-24-2012, 10:41 PM
They're ranked #4 in the AP . . .

NogbadTheBad
11-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Well I guess ND are in the title game.

moecurlythanu
11-24-2012, 11:28 PM
They're ranked #4 in the AP . . .

I'm well aware of that. ESPN's crawl is based on the Coaches Poll or the BCS, I don't recall. Hence the unranked.

moecurlythanu
11-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Well I guess ND are in the title game.

Yeah, I'm gonna feel really weird rooting for an SEC team. :meh

Hal...
11-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Easy to go undefeated when you're only playing exhibition games.
Jealous?

Incidentally, they beat Nebraska and Michigan who are both ranked in the BCS; 14th and 19th, respectively. And when you're talking about a team that went 6-7 last year, to be the only other undefeated team in the nation (besides ND) is quite an achievement, especially with the Big 10 ranked 4th as a conference. That's why the AP has OSU ranked 4th. So, :p:p:p:p

Yeah, I saw the crawl on one of the other games showing unranked Ohio St beat 19th ranked Meeeshigan, and my first thought was "My, what an upset."

Well, when you're talking about a team that had a piss poor defense for the first half of the season (I hope Luke Fickell is gone next year) and lost John Simon due to an injury against Wisconsin (after racking up 4 sacks!), it easily could have gone the other way, especially with the duel threat of Devin Gardner and Denard Robinson (who was the starting QB before an injury to his elbow and is a genuine threat at WR and RB). Add to that the fact that Michigan has the #2 pass defense in the country (Nebraska is #1, btw), that game could easily have gone the other way.

In fact, look at the stats: UofM scored 21 and OSU scored 20 in the first half. OSU shut UofM down in the second, but only managed 2 FGs themselves. It was a typical OSU-UofM smash-mouth game, which both teams get hyped for. It's why John Cooper was hated so much in C-Bus: he told his teams that "The Rivalry" was just another game... which is why he went 2–10–1 against Michigan. Tressel knew and Meyer knows that The Rivalry is probably as important as the season itself.

Make no mistake, however, that I'm a rabid OSU fan... this year. ;) After the Tressel scandal, the shitty season last year, and the post-season ban this year, I only took a passing interest. But, fuck, man, Urban Meyer and his staff go undefeated their first season with a team many consider sub-standard. Shit, C-Bus is ready to blow its load. :lol

Garion81
11-25-2012, 01:46 PM
So as far as teams that could hang with Alabama I would add Stanford to that list They beat Oregon in Eugene they should have beat Note Dame in South Bend and it was a pretty bad call that kept them out of the end zone in OT. Their defensive front 7 are beasts, they have a great running back and the new QB is pretty smart Their two losses came under a different QB

So all that being said I found it just a little thought it provoking that with Stanford beating UCLA yesterday it freed Oregon from the Pac 12 championship game. There will be two Pac 12 teams in BCS games, the winner of Friday's conference championship game goes to the Rose and Oregon will get an a large bid probably the Fiesta . There were some really strange penalties called in this game and just as strange non calls. One call against UCLA for a fair catch interference when the guy was blocked in the back into the returner was a 25 yard field position call. On an earlier drive for Stanford UCLA was called for a defensive hands to the face when the replay showed the guy did it because the Stanford guy had his jersey clutched with both fists and the defeder was trying to get out of his grasp. Several holding calls that negated long plays from UCLA that some were non existent looking at the replays while several blatant ones on Stanford were not called Now i am not saying Stanford wouldn't have won this game anyway because UCLA had more than penalties go against them and Stanford is a team that can take advantage but it sure didn't hurt. They were certainly early enough in the game to give Stanford a good cushion. Saying what I did above about 2 BCS bids how much more money the conference will get because of it, I am very curious which officials are on the field Friday night for the rematch and how the game will be called.

moecurlythanu
11-25-2012, 06:39 PM
What the hell happened to Rutgers? A good team like that getting pounded by Pitt!

Scott Bails
11-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Hal... said:

Jealous?

Incidentally, they beat Nebraska and Michigan who are both ranked in the BCS; 14th and 19th, respectively. And when you're talking about a team that went 6-7 last year, to be the only other undefeated team in the nation (besides ND) is quite an achievement, especially with the Big 10 ranked 4th as a conference. That's why the AP has OSU ranked 4th. So, :p:p:p:p

Jealous? Of what? Of a team that goes undefeated in games that mean nothing? Wow. What an accomplishment. :roll

Actually, as someone who loathes OSU, there's great satisfaction in an undefeated season that doesn't mean a thing. :p

Facelift
11-26-2012, 12:35 AM
What the hell happened to Rutgers? A good team like that getting pounded by Pitt!

1. They aren't that good
2. Pitt isn't that bad.

Hal...
11-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Actually, as someone who loathes OSU, there's great satisfaction in an undefeated season that doesn't mean a thing. :p

:lol

3LockBox
11-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Actually, as someone who loathes OSU, there's great satisfaction in an undefeated season that doesn't mean a thing. :p me too. I was born in E.Lansing, MI. However, I was raised a Michigan fan and of course, hate OSU. I too loved what's transpired in C-bus these last few seasons. I'm not crazy with what I've been seeing coming out of Ann Arbor though.

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Before this season began, after the Sandusky scandal, Penn State's best player, running back Silas Redd, transferred to USC.

Penn State had a better record this year than USC.

Fuck you, Lane Kiffin. :D

PindralProgger
11-26-2012, 11:13 PM
I've finally gotten out of my fetal position in reaction to last Saturday's 'The Game'. :D

Boy, I really chalk that loss up to bad UM coaching more than anything. Yeah, I know Denard is mistake prone, but trying a 4th and 3 near midfield that early in the half in a game like that is just wrong. Kudos to OSU for getting the FG right after and never relenting the lead. One could feel the momentum shift right there and then. Michigan's defense, wow...too bad the offense couldn't rise up like that, but again the play calling was pedestrian. Geez, Denard's on the field = run. Gardner's in at QB = pass. Where was the play calling trickery, using Robinson and Gardner together like in the Iowa blowout the week before?? Ah, fuck it, lets just run up the middle again, certainly that will fool 'em.

Urban Meyer scares the hell out of me! I seriously think he's mental...not in a good way :lol

Congrats Bucs. Wait 'till next year! haha

Yanks2014
11-29-2012, 02:12 PM
OK, no comments from me about the Pitt debacle, I was too depressed to want to post here. But no matter, RU gets a shot at a BCS berth tonight! I'm totally over the Pitt game and am completely psyched for tonights battle with Louisville. One thing bumbing me out are all these season ticket holder co-workers asking me if I'm going to the game. A lot of RU alumni and fans here -makes sense since my office is in the same town as the football stadium. I could have tried to find a wheelchair seat, but must admit its just too damn cold for me. If I had season tickets instead of my 3 game plan, I would have endured the cold and gone tonight. If they win, it sure would be exciting to watch all the fans storm the field like they did in 2006, and do so in person this time. Oh well, I will be there in spirit, and instead watching on the big screen at home.

Go RU!!!

Facelift
11-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Wow, what a brutally bad loss by Rutgers. Really an awful finish overall to what started as a promising season.

Magic Mountain
12-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Georgia - Alabama...Great game!!!! A huge game living up to the hype.

polmico
12-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Dammit.

Scott Bails
12-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Sorry, Matt. :(

moecurlythanu
12-01-2012, 08:53 PM

A Heavyweight fight, and probably the true National Championship game.

They can't start the Playoff system soon enough. 4 teams isn't enough. I don't see why things always have to be incremental.

meimjustalawnmower
12-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Helluva game. Would prefer that the Dawgs had won, but I'm happy to root for the Tide over Notre Dame any time.

NogbadTheBad
12-01-2012, 10:07 PM
i don't have a team to cheer in the final

Scott Bails
12-01-2012, 10:36 PM
i don't have a team to cheer in the final

Me neither. Can't stand either of 'em.

polmico
12-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Sorry, Matt. :(

Thanks, man.

What really pisses me off is how the Dawgs will be penalized for this loss.

The fuckin' Gators are going to get a BCS game and the Dawgs are going to being playing the Meinke Car Pizza Deliver Papa John Douche Bowl Game. Fuck.

Oregon is getting a BCS game. I'm sorry. Did they win the Pac 12? No. They didn't. Louisville is getting a BCS game??? Fuck all of that. Georgia Tech and Florida State played today for a BCS game. Seriously? Georgia Tech? Didn't the Dawgs annihilate them like a week ago?

College football is minor league NFL. It's a fucked up system that's clinging to old traditions for no reason. A playoff is nice, but you'd know what I'd rather see? An abolition of all conferences. You can still have regional match-ups, but if the conferences are going to be this unbalanced, and if a non conference winner is going to get a BCS game, then the system is broken. Blow it up. Start all over again. Fuck tradition.

polmico
12-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Me neither. Can't stand either of 'em.

I'm not cheering for 'Bama, I know that.

Actually, I'll be in Belize when the whole bowl schedule happens, so I won't give a rotten fuck.

Vic2012
12-02-2012, 07:13 AM
I'll be rootin' Notre Dame against 'Bama. I've got nothing against Alabama, but I despise Nick Saban (aka Dick Satan :lol). You know, we hate his fickin' ass down here.

Garion81
12-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Oregon may not have won the Pac 12 but they have only one loss and that was to another top 10 team. Stanford has 2 losses and one of them was to Notre Dame in South Bend in OT with a controversial call. Both of those teams are deserving a BCS game. If you want to complain how about Wisconsin at 8-5 4-4 in conference going to the Rose Bowl?
Anyway proud of my UCLA Bruins who should have won that championship game Friday night First year head coach and QB and a lot of guys returning next year with several talented guys coming off redshirts and a pretty decent crop of freshman coming in. Next year will have its challenges as we have more road games than home (something that never seems to happen in the SEC) but I think they will be ready. I was hoping to get to play Oklahoma in the Holiday bowl but the pundits are pointing towards a match up with TCU in the Alamo Bowl.

polmico
12-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Stanford has 2 losses and one of them was to Notre Dame in South Bend in OT with a controversial call. Both of those teams are deserving a BCS game.

Then Georgia is just as deserving. They have two losses and one of them was to Alabama (you know, the other team in the BCS Championship Game) in the SEC title game.

Stanford does deserve to go, though. They won the PAC 12. That is a hard conference. But the ACC? Big East? Pffft.

Florida is going to a BCS game. The Dawgs beat Florida, but they lost to 'Bama in an extra game. That's all kinds of stupid.

polmico
12-02-2012, 01:48 PM
BTW, here's the predicted Bowl schedule:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/stewart_mandel/12/02/bowl-projections/index.html

Of note, the Orange Bowl will be Louisville vs. Florida State. Ugh.

Garion81
12-02-2012, 05:00 PM
Then Georgia is just as deserving. They have two losses and one of them was to Alabama (you know, the other team in the BCS Championship Game) in the SEC title game.

Stanford does deserve to go, though. They won the PAC 12. That is a hard conference. But the ACC? Big East? Pffft.

Florida is going to a BCS game. The Dawgs beat Florida, but they lost to 'Bama in an extra game. That's all kinds of stupid.

BTW I didn't say Georgia wasn't just I think you were looking at the wrong team to call out in Oregon There are others less deserving. I agree with your last statement. We shall have to see what happens in 2014 It won't stay at a 4 team playoff for long. The rest of this is just bs util they settle these things on the field

Scott Bails
12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
College football is minor league NFL. It's a fucked up system that's clinging to old traditions for no reason. A playoff is nice, but you'd know what I'd rather see? An abolition of all conferences. You can still have regional match-ups, but if the conferences are going to be this unbalanced, and if a non conference winner is going to get a BCS game, then the system is broken. Blow it up. Start all over again. Fuck tradition.

QFMFT

Garion81
12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Um no it is not a minor league for the NFL in that if it was players would be payed. Instead except for the top 5-10% of the players it is a way for them to get an education and make relationships to go on and have successful lives. I look at a recruit like Todd Golper who came to UCLA with high expectations at LB. Injured in his first year that required back surgery he has been a practice squad member ever since. He came out this year and was announced with the Seniors he will not come back for his last year of eligibility but is graduating with a degree. More kids like this than RG111 or Andrew luck. Maybe you haven't heard that in 2014 they are going to a playoff so it is being fixed.

Hunnibee
12-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Sorry about UCLA, Brian. My team is going to the Fiesta Bowl, so I'm thrilled!

Garion81
12-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Are you kidding Mel I am estatic over the team and direction. That we could hang with a program like Stanford after one year of a new coach is fantastic. We are playing in San Diego a the Holiday bowl so not too shabby.

polmico
12-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Maybe you haven't heard that in 2014 they are going to a playoff so it is being fixed.

Don't be glib. I'm not an idiot. And, for what it's worth, a four game playoff fixes nothing. As long as weak conferences like the ACC and Big East get automatic bids, as long as non-conference winners get automatic BCS berths, as long as Division 1 teams play Division 2 teams (yeah, that's the SEC), as long as money is more important than the game, then nothing is fixed. Nothing. Who would be in the four game playoff this year? ND, 'Bama, Oregon and Florida. Two of those teams didn't win their conference and a third doesn't even play in a conference. It is no longer a tenable situation. It is also no longer defendable. The bowls are kept around because of tradition. I'm sure we all have fond memories about the Beef O'Brady's Bowl . . .

The term "scholar athlete" is also outmoded. Universities, corporations and individuals are making millions off these kids.

College football needs an overhaul. A four team playoff is not an overhaul.

Oh. More bullshit. NIU is in a BCS bowl. Again, indefensible.

Garion81
12-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Don't be glib. I'm not an idiot. And, for what it's worth, a four game playoff fixes nothing. As long as weak conferences like the ACC and Big East get automatic bids, as long as non-conference winners get automatic BCS berths, as long as Division 1 teams play Division 2 teams (yeah, that's the SEC), as long as money is more important than the game, then nothing is fixed. Nothing. Who would be in the four game playoff this year? ND, 'Bama, Oregon and Florida. Two of those teams didn't win their conference and a third doesn't even play in a conference. It is no longer a tenable situation. It is also no longer defendable. The bowls are kept around because of tradition. I'm sure we all have fond memories about the Beef O'Brady's Bowl . . .

The term "scholar athlete" is also outmoded. Universities, corporations and individuals are making millions off these kids.

Ah I was headed to the Beef o Brady's Bowl.there is not a bigger bowl around unless it is the Kraft Fight hunger bowl. ;)

Money is what will drive the playoffs to expand. Of course 4 isn't enough but you have to start somewhere and it will expand quicker than slower. The push was to get playoffs once they are there money will drive the bastards to expand it. As for the qualifier I suppose we will have to adhere to the BCS polls until they expand to all conference winners. My thoughts are you divide into equal amount of qualifying conferences with two divisions with the conference championship the first game so know way two teams from the same conference can't play for the title. 4- 16 team conferences would do it.
While Colleges and the BCS are making money the kids are getting an education and while it is a bit naive to think otherwise the fact is 90 % of the kids doing this in any sport never see a penny of professional money. Probably less than 10%. If I could get a free ride including room and board i would sign up in a heartbeat.

Scott Bails
12-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Money is what will drive the playoffs to expand. Of course 4 isn't enough but you have to start somewhere and it will expand quicker than slower. The push was to get playoffs once they are there money will drive the bastards to expand it.

This is what I don't understand. The money is there. They could make so much more money with a playoff system, and the more playoffs, the more money.

I probably won't watch a single bowl game aside from the championship game. Why? Because they're exhibition games. They don't mean anything.

Now, make them part of a single-elimination playoff tournament, and I'll watch at least some of just about every game - because they actually count. They mean something.

Facelift
12-04-2012, 01:53 PM

On one hand you are complaining that there would be non-conferene champions in this year's 4-team playoff; on the other, you're upset that the ACC, Big East and MAC champs are going to BCS games. I don't get it. Anyway, having watched NIU a few times this year, I can attest that they are fully deserving of a BCS slot, especially if they are going to play Fla. St, which themselves was the champ of a weaker conference.

As for the 4-team playoff, they should have the best four teams in it. I don't care if they come from conference champions or all from one conference. Florida has a better resume than Georgia this year, so they should be in it. As for the bowls, they're great for the schools. Half of the teams that play in the bowls will leave the field winners. If all there was was a playoff, then everybody is a loser except the champion. Four teams is a good number. There typically aren't any schools who would be lower than # four that could have any claim to being the best team, so I don't know why they should be given the opportunity to win the trophy. They had the whole regular season to build up that resume. College football is the ultimate regular-season sport. Since more than one loss dooms you, the whole year is like a win-or-go-home playoff, for the top 25 teams. What we really need to get rid of, IMO, are the conference championship games. Talk about something that only exists for money...

And make the teams in big conferences play more conference games. No more I-AA opponents, please.

Scott Bails
12-04-2012, 02:23 PM
As for the bowls, they're great for the schools. Half of the teams that play in the bowls will leave the field winners. If all there was was a playoff, then everybody is a loser except the champion.

This is exactly why the bowls suck. You shouldn't be able to win your last game without winning a championship.

Again, Division I football is the only NCAA sport where this is the case.

Four teams is a good number.

It's better than zero, but much worse than eight. More is better. Better games, better drama, better tournament, more money.

There typically aren't any schools who would be lower than # four that could have any claim to being the best team, so I don't know why they should be given the opportunity to win the trophy.

NCAA Basketball tournament - greatest American sporting event.

They had the whole regular season to build up that resume. College football is the ultimate regular-season sport.

What? No, it's not. As long as you have teams scheduling cupcakes during the first few weeks, the regular season is a joke.

What we really need to get rid of, IMO, are the conference championship games. Talk about something that only exists for money...

Again, no. At least after the conference championships, you have a clear winner.

And make the teams in big conferences play more conference games. No more I-AA opponents, please.

Well, here we somewhat agree. Except that I'd argue against any I-AA opponents.

Garion81
12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
While I agree in principal to a playoff until they consolidate the confrences then it is still getting in by voting. Until that is eleminated it will never truely be a represented field. I think all this shifitng around will eventually result in 4 -16 team conferences. Teams will play 7 games against everyone in their division and 2 from the other division. You then can have 3 out of conference games, 2 of which must come against teams in the 4 conferences. This means 64 teams have an oppurtunity to play in the quest for a championship the same nubmer of teams that basketball has in its tournament. Division winners play each other in the first round leaving the four winners to play best of 2 for the championship. You could I suppose also align 8-16 team conferences based on Region and have a 16 team playoff. That scenario should just about includ every team competing in Division 1. Can't get any fairer than that.

polmico
12-04-2012, 05:47 PM
On one hand you are complaining that there would be non-conferene champions in this year's 4-team playoff; on the other, you're upset that the ACC, Big East and MAC champs are going to BCS games. I don't get it.

Those divisions aren't up to snuff. PAC 12 and SEC teams would destroy most anyone in the Big East and ACC. MAC? Pfft. Didn't NIU lose to Iowa or North Dakota or someone like that? Please.

Florida has a better resume than Georgia this year, so they should be in it.

Particularly if you ignore the fact that Florida did not play 'Bama and, oh yeah, Georgia beat Florida.

Absolutely agreed.

polmico
12-04-2012, 05:48 PM
While I agree in principal to a playoff until they consolidate the confrences then it is still getting in by voting. Until that is eleminated it will never truely be a represented field. I think all this shifitng around will eventually result in 4 -16 team conferences. Teams will play 7 games against everyone in their division and 2 from the other division. You then can have 3 out of conference games, 2 of which must come against teams in the 4 conferences. This means 64 teams have an oppurtunity to play in the quest for a championship the same nubmer of teams that basketball has in its tournament. Division winners play each other in the first round leaving the four winners to play best of 2 for the championship. You could I suppose also align 8-16 team conferences based on Region and have a 16 team playoff. That scenario should just about includ every team competing in Division 1. Can't get any fairer than that.

I quite like that.

polmico
12-04-2012, 05:49 PM
BTW, y'all see any reason why Johnny Football shouldn't win the Heisman?

Scott Bails
12-04-2012, 06:42 PM
I quite like that.

Yeah. I vote Garion for NCAA President. :)

3LockBox
12-04-2012, 07:29 PM
I agree that we should get rid of the bowls. We should also reduce the amount of regular season games. 12 games a year are too many if your going to have a conference championship and a playoff. Garion81's senario would be good, except that for a lot of the mid-major schools, games against perennial powerhouses are big paydays that they'd not otherwise have. Its not the most competative scheduling ploy but its gone on for decades. Sports media likes the current system because it keeps them in the drivers seat. They've always liked to believe that they're a big part of whatever sport they're covering, especially college football.

I know bowls are driven by corporate concerns, but they must be making their money off TV revenue, because the last few years I've noticed a lot of empty seats in some of the minor bowls.

All this whining about NIU - anything other than the BCS Championship game is kinda superfilous anyway. Its a bigger crime that Wisconsin is in a BCS bowl, if it were a big deal. People complained about Boise State playing Oklahoma a few years ago and Boise State won. Some of the match-ups look kinda fun. We'll see, but its pretty much just another football game. No, a four game playoff isn't the best way to settle a college football championship, but its a start. It took how many years to get an "undisputed" unanimous champion in NCAA Div-1? ;) All the complaining about who got what and who's going where, what match-ups would have appeased you guys? (No, not a playoff - that ain't happening this year}

Seriously, who would you guys have playing in what bowls, given that some of these match-ups are so agregious?

Scott Bails
12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Seriously, who would you guys have playing in what bowls, given that some of these match-ups are so agregious?

I fully reject the whole bowl-game concept. It's stupid, out-of-date, and inefficient. I couldn't care less who is playing in any of the games except the Championship game - y'know, the only one that matters.

progeezer
12-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Interesting bit of local news that may not have been reported yet nationally. Since Bret Bielema shocked the hell out of this whole city yesterday by bolting to the Razorbacks, while the Badgers search for a new head coach (Chryst already said he's committed to Pitt) Barry Alvarez (after a 6 year layoff) will take off his AD hat & coach the Rose Bowl.

Vic2012
12-06-2012, 05:15 AM
How about including the bowls in the playoff? I think the bowls will still be around. The minor bowls will stick around for all those meaningless games (that serve one purpose or another). But all the big bowls (the biggest 4 or 6) can be included in the playoffs. They could rotate them every year for the big dance.

Scott Bails
12-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Why do we need the bowls at all? What's the point?

Trash everything about the current system and use Garion's plan - or some variant from it.

Vic2012
12-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Why do we need the bowls at all? What's the point?

The point is, you don't want to trash all the tradition in one big swoop. Incorporate the bowls into the playoffs. And I'd even keep some of the minor bowls for the lower tierd teams. I think the bowls and a playoff system can coexist.

3LockBox
12-08-2012, 02:58 PM
The point is, you don't want to trash all the tradition in one big swoop. Incorporate the bowls into the playoffs. And I'd even keep some of the minor bowls for the lower tierd teams. I think the bowls and a playoff system can coexist.

too long of a layoff between the end of season and "bowl season".

Personally, I think they really need to cut back to 9 or 10 games a season, have a short playoff, then let the championship game be a stand-alone game on New Years (or there abouts) or let it be rotated amongst the major bowls. I'm tired of college football bleeding into mid January anyway.

You can't realistically expect programs to maintain 12 and 13 game schedules and still have more than a four team playoff. I mean, they are supposed to be going to school, right?

Brian Griffin
12-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Someone should have told the Army QB that there is no crying in football

BG

NogbadTheBad
12-08-2012, 08:31 PM

BGYou think he's going to hear about that when he's back in his unit?

Scott Bails
12-08-2012, 09:25 PM

Maybe it's me then. I just don't give a shit about the "bowl tradition." I've always found the whole bowl-game thing to be completely stupid.

too long of a layoff between the end of season and "bowl season".

Personally, I think they really need to cut back to 9 or 10 games a season, have a short playoff, then let the championship game be a stand-alone game on New Years (or there abouts) or let it be rotated amongst the major bowls. I'm tired of college football bleeding into mid January anyway.

You can't realistically expect programs to maintain 12 and 13 game schedules and still have more than a four team playoff. I mean, they are supposed to be going to school, right?

Great idea, 3Lock.

Love the "supposed to be going to school" thing - if only!

meimjustalawnmower
12-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Heisman goes to Johnny Football. A freshman AND an Aggie. Sheesh!

Vic2012
12-09-2012, 07:34 AM
The problem with Div. 1 college ball is that there are so many conferences. I think a Div.1 playoff system would have to be divided up among just the big conferences. They'll have to be unified in some way. As far as the kids "are supposed to be going to school" goes. Some of those kids are only in college because they're good football players. Otherwise they wouldn't stand a chance. But that's okay. Div.1 college ball is as popular (or more popular) than pro ball. It's big bidness. That's why there's so much cheating, rule breaking, drugs, scandals, etc.

Not that anyone cares or even knows about this. We have a local university down here (FIU) that went from a completely winless football team, from a small university (that was founded just 40 years ago) in a lower tierd division, to a Div.1 school with two bowl appearences within 4 years. The coach (Mario Cristobal) took this small, nothing little team and built them up to respectability. Well, this season they only won 4 games. They had a bad year. Mr. Cristobal gets rewared by getting fired. The guy turned down other lucrative positions at bigger universities to stay at FIU because he was loyal and committed to the program. So they canned his ass. I'm not shedding crocodile tears for the guy, he won't be unemployed for long. But shame on that fucking school. It just goes to show that college atheletics is BIG bu$iness. Lot's of rich alums are greasing palms all the time. Lots of money usually means corruption. It is what it is.

polmico
12-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I heard about that FIU coach and agree: that was shameful.

proggosaurus
12-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Interesting bit of local news that may not have been reported yet nationally. Since Bret Bielema shocked the hell out of this whole city yesterday by bolting to the Razorbacks, while the Badgers search for a new head coach (Chryst already said he's committed to Pitt) Barry Alvarez (after a 6 year layoff) will take off his AD hat & coach the Rose Bowl.

I never saw that one coming. did anyone? I wish the Badgers well in their Rose Bowl appearance. I just hope the Huskers don't forget to get on the plane to Orlando but then again, maybe they should just stay home and call it a year already.

progeezer
12-09-2012, 06:45 PM
I never saw that one coming. did anyone? I wish the Badgers well in their Rose Bowl appearance. I just hope the Huskers don't forget to get on the plane to Orlando but then again, maybe they should just stay home and call it a year already.Even his closest friends and his asst.coaches/coordinators had no clue. Neither did Alvarez! Alvarez said all the right things, but it was readily apparent that steam was coming out of his ears.

Orlando? Did you mean Pasadena?:).

proggosaurus
12-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Orlando? Did you mean Pasadena?:).

no, the Huskers get Georgia in Orlando. oh, what fun that will be :meh

progeezer
12-09-2012, 07:29 PM
:doh That's right! My mind was back at the Big 10,11,12,13 Championship Game.

Hal...
12-09-2012, 08:37 PM
:lol:lol

You know, ordinarily, I have a tendency to cut someone slack if they make it to some kind of significant game/event/etc, lose, and then are upset about it. But, Goddamn, Steelman fuckin' bawled like a baby; he had plenty of time to get it out of his system on the sidelines, but when they stood up and sang their fight songs, he was still cryin' like a little girl. And this dude is going to be an officer in the Army???

progeezer
12-09-2012, 08:50 PM
:lol:lol
And this dude is going to be an officer in the Army???His breakdown was a desperate attempt to scam his superiors into not assigning him to an infantry company.:)

Hal...
12-10-2012, 03:25 PM
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

proggosaurus
12-12-2012, 05:26 PM
well, I guess they made the plane...at least the coaches. as much as I hate to say it, I don't think Nebraska stands a chance against Georgia. I would love to be proven wrong but let's be real. the Huskers gave up over 500 yards on the ground to Wisconsin which was a school record. Georgia is primarily a running team with a very solid ofensive line and outstanding backs. that doesn't bode well for the Nebraska defense which is prone to solid running attacks and big plays. Murray is more than capable at QB for the Bulldogs but the same just can't be said about Martinez. he's had flashes of brilliance in his 4 years as a starter but has been plagued by fumbles, an awkward throwing motion and indecision throughout his career. Rex Burkhead at RB is as solid as they come but the offensive line will have a tremendous job of clearing a path for him against a Georgia team which is projected to send at least 9 of it's defensive side to the NFL. if the Bulldogs get a big lead early, it'll be over quick. if Nebraska can hang in there late, thay might have chance. they've come from behind several times this year and won which is an anomoly given past seasons. besides Alabama, Georgia suffered a mid season 35 - 7 loss to South Carolina. since then, Georgia seemed to right the ship but SC lost 2 in a row and struggled somewhat to finish the season. personally, I think Georgia is at least 3rd in the nation and came within a couple of plays of going against Notre Dame in the NC. my prediction is thAt it will be a long afternoon for Husker fans.

Notre Dame and Alabama - one of the biggest drawbacks in playing for the NC or January bowl games is the length of time between the games. it will have been nearly 6 weeks before these two teams take the field again. the press coverage will be nuts and there's no doubt it will have a negative effect on players and coaches alike. in games like these preparedness is everything.

Alabama has taken everyones best shot all year and came away victorious in all but one. if not for a 20 - 0 blitz by A & M, they would likely be undefeated. I was very impressed by their composure in that game. they settled down and came within an interception by A & M near the end of the game but you have to give it to the Aggies as well. many times, they were faced with a mounting comeback from Alabama and held their ground with remarkable plays and ultimately won 29 - 24. Notre Dame has been criticized all year. strength of schedule, close games to teams they should have beaten handily, yet they have mostly answered those critics and sit at the top of the heap as the only undefeated team. overall, both teams have very similar strengths and weaknesses and I expect a close game but I'm giving it to the defending champs by 10.

what are your thoughts on these games or any others?

progeezer
12-12-2012, 09:13 PM
If I'm predicting with my head and not my heart, Stanford is going to crucify Los Badgeros in Pasadena.

moecurlythanu
01-04-2013, 11:52 PM
Tonight's Cotton Bowl is a perfect example of why a playoff is needed. Ideally 16 teams, but at least 8. A&M has 2 losses, which rules them out for the BCS title game. One came early, and one was at mid-season. Since then, they've gotten better and better. I can't tell you with certainty that they would beat Alabama (again) or Notre Dame in a head-to-head matchup and win the National Title. But I can't tell you with anything approaching certainty that they wouldn't. It would be awesome to see this team's run in a playoff. Thanks to the BCS, we won't. :(

Yanks2014
01-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Title game is tonight! Pulling hard for the Irish to win. Strange year for the SEC, with LSA and Florida losing their bowl games. Come on Florida, you get beat bad by Louisville? The same Louisville that barely eeked out a win over my beloved Rutgers? Texas A&M restored some the conference luster, but all that will be down the tubes if ND beats Bama. I just want a great game, close score, and of course with ND pulling out the W. How about a nice goal line stand to end the game, that would be very cool!

As to my Rutgers team, tough, horrible ending to the season, and now two of our best undercalssmen are bolting to the NFL. Not sure what the futuyre holds, especially with the change to the Big 10 in 14.

Hobo Chang Ba
01-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Roll tide! Nothing against the Irish (I don't dislike them, and if they win then woot as well), but I do like 'Bama.

Hobo Chang Ba
01-07-2013, 04:04 PM
As to my Rutgers team, tough, horrible ending to the season, and now two of our best undercalssmen are bolting to the NFL. Not sure what the futuyre holds, especially with the change to the Big 10 in 14.

Back to their "prominence" of all the years before Coach S and R Rice I suspect. :p

moecurlythanu
01-07-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm not a fan of either team, so I'll be watching hoping to see a good game. Much as I hate to see another SEC championship, I can't root for Notre Dame.

I expect Bama to wear down ND with their 2 back attack, and win by around 10. We'll see.

Garion81
01-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Wow was that an exciting bowl season? Proved absolutely nothing. There were maybe 4 games that were even competitive. See the thing I like about 8 -16 team conferences is that it includes all the mid majors and you have to win your division to get in. This eliiminates the argument that playoffs make the regular season irrelevant. Of course there maybe years when some divisions are weaker than others. So what? It will even out. 16 teams, 4 weeks. Start 2nd week in December and end in the 2nd week in January. Give a week between semis and finals. Also, the possibility for money is endless, match up the 2nd and 3rd place teams in each division against other divisions 2nd and 3rd place teams on weeknights in minor "bowl" games, with the incentive or money for the conferences who win. Really cannot believe how short sided the people running the game are.

Scott Bails
01-08-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm with Garion.

Congrats to 'Bama - a true dynasty, it would appear.

Will Saban entertain offers from the NFL? What more is there to do in college?

3LockBox
01-08-2013, 07:35 PM
all kneel before the SEC

Will Saban entertain offers from the NFL? What more is there to do in college?

there aren't any good openings in the NFL

Scott Bails
01-08-2013, 07:49 PM
all kneel before the SEC

Any opening in the NFL is good by definition.

Naturally, some are better than others, but you're not going to get a job opening with a successful program - why would you fire a coach from a successful program?

NogbadTheBad
01-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Saban's got a pretty sweet gig, the only reason to go to the NFL would to be to prove it to himself, and he'd probably only go if he has full control.

moecurlythanu
01-08-2013, 08:10 PM

What a stupid thing to say. Only 32 jobs like that in the country, and the top of their profession, with outsized pay. No, there aren't good head coaching jobs available in the NFL right now. :roll

moecurlythanu
01-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Saban's got a pretty sweet gig, the only reason to go to the NFL would to be to prove it to himself, and he'd probably only go if he has full control.

Several weeks back, they were talking about Saban on Cleveland sports radio. The scuttlebutt was that when Saban had his first go-round with the Fins, he found out he didn't have an edge in the NFL. He couldn't simply outwork the other coaches. Everybody at the NFL level is a hyper obsessive workaholic like he is, so the advantage he felt he had at the collegiate level, he did not have at the Pro level. So he pulled the plug.

You can get some feel for that now when you hear him say "I'm where I belong."

Btw, the Browns were going to hold off on naming a personnel guy until after they named the coach. The speculation was that they were going to offer more or less total control as a draw to the prospective coach.

Scott Bails
01-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Several weeks back, they were talking about Saban on Cleveland sports radio. The scuttlebutt was that when Saban had his first go-round with the Fins, he found out he didn't have an edge in the NFL. He couldn't simply outwork the other coaches. Everybody at the NFL level is a hyper obsessive workaholic like he is, so the advantage he felt he had at the collegiate level, he did not have at the Pro level. So he pulled the plug.

You can get some feel for that now when you hear him say "I'm where I belong."

I've gotten this impression as well, from things I've been hearing.

If true, I've lost respect for the guy - not that I had a lot to begin with.

NogbadTheBad
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
You don't respect a guy who's found a job he loves, is hugely successful at, and is happy to stay there? Damn.

Scott Bails
01-08-2013, 08:55 PM
You don't respect a guy who's found a job he loves, is hugely successful at, and is happy to stay there? Damn.

No.

I'd rather a guy who is looking for a challenge.

Saban, to me, is someone who may very well be the best football coach in America. But instead of reaching for a challenge, he's just going to stay where he's comfortable.

I'd have a LOT more respect for him if he came out and said, "I've obviously conquered college football. There's nothing left here for me to do. However, I was a complete failure in the NFL, and that bothers me. I NEED to go back into the NFL. I have unfinished business."

But I'll probably be alone here.

Vic2012
01-09-2013, 05:11 AM
But I'll probably be alone here.

Yup, prolly. I personally don't like the guy but he's his own man, and he's pretty successfull. He's not a nice man but he's not Bobby Knight either. Why would he go to the NFL and be unhappy. Let the man do what he wants, coach kids in college. He's the type that needs complete control of a team. In the NFL that is impossible. We've seen it time and again. Some big mouth, big name coach "wants complete control." Then after 3 years he burns out and the team hasn't accomplished shit. Nick can write his own ticket. He'll never be unemployed in college ball or the NFL. NFL teams would line up to blow him and offer him the world.

BTW: I didn't see the game on Monday but I heard all the sports talk about it the next day. Seems like all the talk was about Brent Musberger and his salivating over McCarron's (the Bama QB) goilfriend. That's all these mofos talked about. Was the game that boring? And please, I don't want to hear that Brent is some "old pervert creep" just because he made a comment or two about this "super model" girlfriend of the QB. Please. I'm talking to you Scott :bad :lol.

Scott Bails
01-09-2013, 11:27 AM
BTW: I didn't see the game on Monday but I heard all the sports talk about it the next day. Seems like all the talk was about Brent Musberger and his salivating over McCarron's (the Bama QB) goilfriend. That's all these mofos talked about. Was the game that boring? And please, I don't want to hear that Brent is some "old pervert creep" just because he made a comment or two about this "super model" girlfriend of the QB. Please. I'm talking to you Scott :bad :lol.

Nah, no complaints from me. She's smokin' hot, and Musberger commented on it. I can see how some would see that as "creepy old uncle" territory, but I didn't have a problem with it.

I didn't watch the game, but it sounds like Ms. Webb was the highlight to a pretty boring game.

3LockBox
01-09-2013, 07:21 PM
No.

I'd rather a guy who is looking for a challenge.

Saban, to me, is someone who may very well be the best football coach in America. But instead of reaching for a challenge, he's just going to stay where he's comfortable.

I'd have a LOT more respect for him if he came out and said, "I've obviously conquered college football. There's nothing left here for me to do. However, I was a complete failure in the NFL, and that bothers me. I NEED to go back into the NFL. I have unfinished business."

But I'll probably be alone here. You just wished he'd coach the Eagles. Like I said, he's waiting for a good opening

;)

moecurlythanu
01-09-2013, 08:54 PM
You just wished he'd coach the Eagles. Like I said, he's waiting for a good opening

;)

No, he's not. He'll never leave Alabama until he retires.

Scott Bails
01-09-2013, 09:58 PM
You just wished he'd coach the Eagles. Like I said, he's waiting for a good opening

;)

Whatever. :roll

Facelift
01-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Looks like the Notre Dame coach is headed for the Eagles. If this happens, it sets the Irish program WAY back.

Scott Bails
01-09-2013, 10:30 PM
That's really, really surprising, if true.

I didn't think there was any chance that Kelly would even interview, let alone leave Notre Dame.

If true, it's a win-win. Eagles get a good coach, and Notre Dame loses a good coach. ;)

Shadow
01-10-2013, 01:49 AM
The sad part is the two best teams at the end weren't even in the BCS Bowl.

moecurlythanu
01-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Well, that's what a real playoff would sort out.

I disagree that Alabama isn't one of the 2 best teams, though.

Scott Bails
01-10-2013, 11:57 AM
The sad part is the two best teams at the end weren't even in the BCS Bowl.

Very typical of a Division I season.

Exactly what moe says.

Yanks2014
01-13-2013, 01:17 PM
That's crazy, who was better than Bama? Nobody was beating them that night. And ND was undefeated going in, they HAD to be there! Ohio State was too, but they were paying the price for cheating. And it's far easier to go undefeated when you have no pressure on you to win. Georgia? Couldn't win when it counted. Florida? Embarrassed by a Big East team. Oregon? Did their annual choke, hard to take them seriously despite a 12-1 record. Texas A&M? Hottest team at the end, but lost a couple earlier in the year, would not have been a playoff team unless it was a 16 team format. That wont happen for a few years at the earliest. The 4 team version will only be around a couple years before they get wise and expand it, it will be HUGE!

Yanks2014
01-13-2013, 01:18 PM
A lost year for me, ALL my teams lost, both college and pro. Just a disaster in every way. Guess that's the price I pay for my pro team winning the SB last year.

Yanks2014
01-13-2013, 01:21 PM
That's really, really surprising, if true.

I didn't think there was any chance that Kelly would even interview, let alone leave Notre Dame.

If true, it's a win-win. Eagles get a good coach, and Notre Dame loses a good coach. ;)

Didn't happen, Kelly will remain at ND. Thank goodness, I'm so sick of the carpetbagger coaches -which Kelly already qualifies for after he bolted Cincy. No coach wants to really build anything and stick around to enjoy it, they all jump for something bigger. I guess they are like the pro players, all going for the big money.

Scott Bails
01-13-2013, 01:36 PM
I guess they are like the pro players, all going for the big money.

Yep. So far, Bill O'Brien and Chip Kelly both leveraged more money out of their schools by interviewing, and speculation is that Brian Kelly will do the same with Notre Dame.

So glad the Eagles can help these guys make more money. :roll

Hal...
01-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Ohio State was too, but they were paying the price for cheating. OSU didn't "cheat", exactly. They broke the rules, yes, and their punishment was just. What OSU was penalized for most was Tressel's lying and secrecy and the University's compliance violations.

And it's far easier to go undefeated when you have no pressure on you to win.:huh Look at OSU's record with Tressel. They went 94-22; that's an 81% winning percentage, with one complete undefeated season, winning the nat'l championship, and another undefeated season going into the BCS title game, culminating in the miserable loss to Florida. The only reason they did so poorly in 2011 was because they had an interim head coach in Luke Fickell who had been the co-defensive coordinator. For them to go undefeated this year with Urban Meyer, the coach of Florida who beat OSU into submission, was not a surprise to "the Buckeye Nation" and, in fact, I'd argue they had more to prove this year.

moecurlythanu
01-13-2013, 02:21 PM
^ Completely agree with Hal. Saved me the trouble of pointing out the broad definition of the word "cheat" that Yanks was using.

polmico
01-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Not really a college football story, only one in that involves a college football player. Just sort of a what the heck do you make of this story:

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax
"Deadspin is reporting that the story about Notre Dame linebacker and Heisman Trophy finalist Manti Te'o and girlfriend Lennay Kekua, who reportedly died earlier this fall because of leukemia, is a hoax."

Make of it, I guess, what you will.

Scott Bails
01-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Wow.

WTF?

Scott Bails
01-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Not really a college football story, only one in that involves a college football player. Just sort of a what the heck do you make of this story:

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax
"Deadspin is reporting that the story about Notre Dame linebacker and Heisman Trophy finalist Manti Te'o and girlfriend Lennay Kekua, who reportedly died earlier this fall because of leukemia, is a hoax."

Make of it, I guess, what you will.

Hmmm....the plot thickens. (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/notre-dame-stands-manti-te-o-says-perfect-012348590--ncaaf.html)

Magic Mountain
01-16-2013, 10:28 PM
For some morbid humor...the first comment below the above article read "Brent Musberger said Te'o's fake girlfriend is hot"...sorry that is funny

Scott Bails
01-16-2013, 10:29 PM
:lol

I love the Internet sometimes.

polmico
01-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Wait. So he's claiming that some girl with whom he had a relationship over the internet pretended to die just to . . . what exactly? Be a douche to him? But he didn't just have a relationship over the internet with her. He met her? Or he didn't?

polmico
01-17-2013, 07:06 AM
"The revelation prompted the athletics director of Notre Dame to call a news conference Wednesday. There was no way for Te'o to know the relationship was a hoax because it had been conducted strictly online and on the phone, said director Jack Swarbrick.
The pair had set up several meetings, including in Hawaii, where Te'o grew up -- but Kekua never showed, Swarbrick said."
"If the South Bend Tribune in Indiana -- the newspaper of Notre Dame's home town -- is to be believed, the two met -- yes, met -- after a football game in Palo Alto, California, in 2009."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/17/sport/manti-teo-controversy/?hpt=hp_c1

It's starting to sound more like this guy is a moron and was actually duped. But why would this girl perpetrate this hoax for three years (if they did in fact meet after a football game in '09)?

NogbadTheBad
01-17-2013, 08:11 AM
Back in my day dating was so much simpler, you actually met in person & did stuff together.

Vic2012
01-17-2013, 08:25 AM
Just read that Lance Armstrong will reveal to Oprah the he is dating Lennay Kekeu. :O

Scott Bails
01-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Well done, Vic! :lol

Facelift
01-17-2013, 10:11 AM
I remain highly skeptical that this guy was "duped."

Scott Bails
01-17-2013, 10:21 AM
I dunno.

Everything else about this kid seems to indicate that he's a good guy, so the idea that he would cook this up seems unlikely.

This story is so strange.

Hal...
01-17-2013, 12:30 PM
How's this for a twist: they were reporting on the news this morning that the chick does not exist; there's no death certificate nor did she attend Stanford, but, "Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers star Troy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011." Supposedly, Kekua's cousin introduced them. :huh

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax

Brian Griffin
01-17-2013, 12:33 PM
He's a little old for an imaginary freind, no?

BG

paythesnuka
01-17-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't believe for a second that T'eo was duped. He was in on it from the get-go, as was his father, who said that the couple had met on a few occasions in Hawaii. And I can't believe Swarbrick believes him when T'eo said that he meant "met" her online and not in person.

T'eo did this to just gain some sympathy to put him over the top to get awards this season. He could have headed for the NFL last year, but figuring that he would be one of the nation's top defensive players, he used the sympathy card to get a leg up on the rest of the "best in the nation." This morning, I heard a Heisman voter on the Mike and Mike radio show say that T'eo's story was one of the reasons he voted for him for the Heisman over Johnny Manziel (since they were so close, in his eyes, he needed something to "break the tie" and that was one of the things along with the fact that Johnny Football would have more opportunities to win the Heisman).

Scott Bails
01-17-2013, 01:51 PM
This morning, I heard a Heisman voter on the Mike and Mike radio show say that T'eo's story was one of the reasons he voted for him for the Heisman over Johnny Manziel (since they were so close, in his eyes, he needed something to "break the tie" and that was one of the things along with the fact that Johnny Football would have more opportunities to win the Heisman).

If this is the case, then I blame the voter, not Te'o. That's just plain stupid.

moecurlythanu
01-17-2013, 01:52 PM
I dunno.

Everything else about this kid seems to indicate that he's a good guy, so the idea that he would cook this up seems unlikely.

This story is so strange.

Yeah, in an early phone conversation, she told him that she was a good lay, and he thought she was talking about flower necklaces.

I'm with Facelift on this one.

Facelift
01-17-2013, 02:10 PM
I don't believe for a second that T'eo was duped. He was in on it from the get-go, as was his father, who said that the couple had met on a few occasions in Hawaii. And I can't believe Swarbrick believes him when T'eo said that he meant "met" her online and not in person.

T'eo did this to just gain some sympathy to put him over the top to get awards this season. He could have headed for the NFL last year, but figuring that he would be one of the nation's top defensive players, he used the sympathy card to get a leg up on the rest of the "best in the nation." This morning, I heard a Heisman voter on the Mike and Mike radio show say that T'eo's story was one of the reasons he voted for him for the Heisman over Johnny Manziel (since they were so close, in his eyes, he needed something to "break the tie" and that was one of the things along with the fact that Johnny Football would have more opportunities to win the Heisman).

Agreed. I'll reiterate what I said earlier, which is that - based on what I've read - I simply cannot believe that T'eo is not in on the hoax. It's the only explanation that makes any sense.

paythesnuka
01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
If this is the case, then I blame the voter, not Te'o. That's just plain stupid.

As someone who used to work for a now-defunct football magazine, where many of the contributors were Heisman voters (sadly, I was never given that opportunity), I can tell you that there are many more bizarre stories as to why someone received votes than this one.

3LockBox
01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
This morning, I heard a Heisman voter on the Mike and Mike radio show say that T'eo's story was one of the reasons he voted for him for the Heisman over Johnny Manziel (since they were so close, in his eyes, he needed something to "break the tie" and that was one of the things along with the fact that Johnny Football would have more opportunities to win the Heisman). That guy needs his vote revoked. The bigger story here is that if anyone feels duped, its their own fault for being a sucker. Its why I don't care to know anymore than I need to know about athletes or musicians - both are a means to an end.

Scott Bails
01-17-2013, 07:46 PM
As someone who used to work for a now-defunct football magazine, where many of the contributors were Heisman voters (sadly, I was never given that opportunity), I can tell you that there are many more bizarre stories as to why someone received votes than this one.

Oh, no doubt.

But again, this says more about the voter than it does who they've voted for.

Scott Bails
01-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Facelift - the more I hear about this Te'o story, the more I'm coming around to your way of thinking.

Sounding more and more like this kid created this whole thing.

Wonder how this will affect his draft position?

Facelift
01-18-2013, 09:24 AM

What I've been hearing is that teams will not likely draft him without giving him a psychological examination. At that point, it's just a matter of what they think of the results weighed against how good of a player they think he is. So I guess the impact from this is anywhere between not being affected at all, to falling into the second round. I wouldn't think that this would cause him to fall into the third round, as the risk/reward in that round would not be too significant, but who knows what those exams could unearth?

moecurlythanu
01-18-2013, 09:33 AM

All prior mock drafts that I saw had him going to Pittsburgh with the 17th pick of the first round. Much as I hate 'em, Pittsburgh is a first class organization. It's hard for me to picture them taking him now.

Progmatic
01-18-2013, 09:37 AM
I do not understand what is the big deal about Notre Dame QB. All the footballers are either retarded or on the way to become retarded...He is just ahead of his time..

Scott Bails
01-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the intelligent comment there, Progmatic. :roll

Progmatic
01-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the intelligent comment there, Progmatic. :roll

you are welcome...:)

Brian Griffin
01-18-2013, 02:39 PM
All the footballers are either retarded or on the way to become retarded

And folks who *still* insist on using that term really aren't considered to be too bright themselves these days

BG

Progmatic
01-18-2013, 02:59 PM
And folks who *still* insist on using that term really aren't considered to be too bright themselves these days

BG

only if you insist...(.it is a freaken joke for fiuck sake)

Brian Griffin
01-18-2013, 03:14 PM
only if you insist...(.it is a freaken joke for fiuck sake)

Its for your own good, trust me

I'd try and break the habbit

BG

Progmatic
01-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Its for your own good, trust me

I'd try and break the habbit

BG

Thanks Dad...:roll

You remind me of Lewis Black scatch where he was describing his gig for the White House

"these are the people who are first in the line of defence when it comes to the terrorist threat, but the word shit makes them cry...."why didnt he say poopie, why didnt he say poopie"

Vic2012
01-21-2013, 07:15 AM
Will this "Te'o" story die finally? Sheesh, the news outlets must really need some content or something because the story still has legs. My god, I've never seen such a nothing story about a college athelete put people's shorts in a twist. The kid didn't kill anyone. Whether he was duped, or he was part of the hoax from the beginning, who cares? If the kid can play football he'll be drafted. If he turns out to be a head case the team will can him. That's all. I don't get all the hand wringing over this. Granted, the story is bizzare, but I just wish the story would die once and for all.

Progmatic
01-21-2013, 07:50 AM
I don't get all the hand wringing over this. Granted, the story is bizzare, but I just wish the story would die once and for all.

...well media "hypocrites" and "moral police" are making out of it an integrity issue...you know that the player with no integrity cannot make it in NFL !!! :roll...

paythesnuka
01-21-2013, 07:29 PM
Will this "Te'o" story die finally? Sheesh, the news outlets must really need some content or something because the story still has legs. My god, I've never seen such a nothing story about a college athelete put people's shorts in a twist. The kid didn't kill anyone. Whether he was duped, or he was part of the hoax from the beginning, who cares? If the kid can play football he'll be drafted. If he turns out to be a head case the team will can him. That's all. I don't get all the hand wringing over this. Granted, the story is bizzare, but I just wish the story would die once and for all.

The media will not let it die because Te'o made it look foolish. Until Te'o comes clean and admits he was in on the hoax, and I believe he was in on it from the get-go, the story will live on.

Vic2012
01-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Teo should go on Oprah. :lol

Scott Bails
01-21-2013, 08:01 PM
He's going on Katie. ;)

Vic2012
01-21-2013, 08:12 PM
He needs to cry on Katie and Oprah....:lol

NogbadTheBad
01-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Boring... please.... go.... away.