PDA

View Full Version : Famous Prog Fans

jake
11-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Many of us remember snooker great Steve Davis' article praising Magma, Soft Machine, Caravan and Gentle Giant

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2004/mar/07/snooker.features

And I know from talking to him that Billy Connolly is a fan of early VDGG - we had a long discussion about TLWCDIWTEO and H to He after one of his gigs in New York.

Any other high profile famous prog fans out there?

Dana5140
11-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Johnny Rotten was also a fan of Magma. Sherman Hensley (George Jefferson on TV) was a big prog fan. Vaclav Havel was big on Plastic People overseas. Joss Whedon, of Buffy and Avengers, in addition to loving Stephen Sondheim, is a fan of some prog.

Zeuhlmate
11-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Vaclav Havel was also friends with Frank Zappa as far as I know.

Progmatic
11-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Vaclav Havel was also friends with Frank Zappa as far as I know.

Just a little bit...

jake
11-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Johnny Rotten was also a fan of Magma.
... and of Peter Hammill - especially Nadir's Big Chance:

"In a 1977 radio interview, John Lydon of the Sex Pistols played two tracks from the album and expressed his admiration for Hammill in glowing terms: "Peter Hammill's great. A true original. I've just liked him for years. If you listen to him, his solo albums, I'm damn sure Bowie copied a lot out of that geezer. The credit he deserves, just has not been given to him. I love all his stuff"."

zravkapt
11-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Howard Stern loves Yes and King Crimson. Jello Biafra is a big Magma and VDGG fan.

everythingtoexcess
11-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Jason Segal described himself as the "only out-of-the-closet Rush fan in Hollywood" so now let's argue about whether or not Rush is prog.
I have no confirmation, but from a couple things he's said and because he was wearing a Yes shirt in one episode, I suspect that Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear might be one, too. So now let's argue about whether or not Jeremy Clarkson is a celebrity.

Progtopia
11-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Paul Rudd's in that Rush fan-vid with Jason Segal, so it's fair to assume he's a fan, also?

Joe F.
11-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Paul Rudd's in that Rush fan-vid with Jason Segal, so it's fair to assume he's a fan, also?

Not really. He's an actor playing a role.

Lino
11-26-2012, 10:38 AM
John Lydon is also a huge fan of Hawkwind. Re: Lydon/Hammill... a couple years back, being host of the radio show got me an invite to go onstage to introduce Hugh Cornwell and his band. So we were backstage chatting a bit before the show and he was looking around at all the people that played the venue, and I mentioned Peter Hammill/VDGG (both brought to town by the same promoter). I forget the bass player's name but he looked like he was firmly in the punk camp, he pipes in and says "Peter Hammill played here??" I thought, wow, pretty cool that this punk knows Hammill. he says "Oh, I don't really know his music, I just know that John Lydon loves him." :D

Lino
11-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Jello Biafra is a big Magma and VDGG fan. He just played here recently. The promoter is a friend of mine and I told him that Jello was in to those bands and had even been to Nearfest. He said "we'll be hanging out all day, he's staying at my place, I'll ask him" He emails me back the day after the show (which was btw, my fave of the year so far) and says "dude, that guy is a music nerd man, he's in to all kinds of great music. And ya, he loves Magma!"

Progatron
11-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Jello Biafra went to NEARfest?!

battema
11-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Jason Segal described himself as the "only out-of-the-closet Rush fan in Hollywood" so now let's argue about whether or not Rush is prog.
I have no confirmation, but from a couple things he's said and because he was wearing a Yes shirt in one episode, I suspect that Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear might be one, too. So now let's argue about whether or not Jeremy Clarkson is a celebrity.

Clarkson actually penned some of the liner notes for the Genesis 70-75 box, so safe to assume he's a fan :)

I believe the filmmaker Vincent Giallo is a fan, at least based on some of his soundtrack choices.

Jerjo
11-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Novelist Michael Chabon is a progger

Lino
11-26-2012, 10:48 AM

yep, the last year Magma played. He was seen hanging out and chatting up with Vander. There were a couple pics of him iirc, being a fan boy in and around the hotel.

polmico
11-26-2012, 10:52 AM
That guy Lino is a pretty big prog fan. His birthday is a big deal, too.

Progatron
11-26-2012, 11:05 AM
yep, the last year Magma played. He was seen hanging out and chatting up with Vander. There were a couple pics of him iirc, being a fan boy in and around the hotel.

Wow, I never knew that. I still spin The Power Of Lard every now and then to bring back memories of high school. :)

Chuck AzEee!
11-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Robin Williams and Bruce Willis are both mega Genesis fans. Princess Diana was a big Queen, Genesis and Pink Floyd.

Lino
11-26-2012, 12:06 PM
That guy Lino is a pretty big prog fan

hahaha I was actually going to post that I'd always read that the guys in Rush were big prog fans. But that was reaching back in to my pre-internet memory banks when I had no idea Rush was actually known to be a prog band lol.

per anporth
11-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Princess Diana was a big Queen

This made me chuckle. Sorry.

Novelist, Jonathan Coe; & Ian Rankin, probably. Another Scottish novelist, Alan Warner is a big fan of Can - two of his novels were dedicated to members of the band.

Chuck AzEee!
11-26-2012, 12:09 PM
This made me chuckle. Sorry. I meant to put a ;) after posting that. :)

Chuck AzEee!
11-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Peter Hook of Joy Division/New Order is a big Hawkwind, Van Der Graaf Generator and Magma fan. I read that he took his father to a Hawkwind concert.

Gruno
11-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Curt Smith (Tears For Fears) was a King Crimson fan, apparently -- pictured on the right:

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/goblynzgroove/misc/1981_Moles_Club_zpsabb0158c.jpg

http://homepage2.nifty.com/cannonho/tff/

No Pride
11-26-2012, 12:26 PM
hahaha I was actually going to post that I'd always read that the guys in Rush were big prog fans. But that was reaching back in to my pre-internet memory banks when I had no idea Rush was actually known to be a prog band lol.
:up :lol

elliottnow
11-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Jack Black.

Chuck AzEee!
11-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Curt Smith (Tears For Fears) was a King Crimson fan, apparently -- pictured on the right:

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/goblynzgroove/misc/1981_Moles_Club_zpsabb0158c.jpg

http://homepage2.nifty.com/cannonho/tff/

COOL! The drummer Budgie from Siouxsie and The Banshees, also was a big King Crimson fan.

Dennis Miller is a mega Yes and Genesis fan.

In a club many years ago, I ran into a couple of members of the Hip Hop group Wu TAng Clan and we got into a long discussion about music and I mentioned that I was a fan of progressive rock, one of the members Reakwon recently samples a clip of Hackett's "Firth of Fifth" solo from Second's Out, had told me that they indeed were mega progressive rock fans, RZA, known more for his acting nowadays, has a huge collection of albums also mentioned that the members of Wu Tang would crash at his apartment and listen to progressive rock and chill!

John Lydon is a big Captain Beefheart fan.

Big Ears
11-26-2012, 12:50 PM
I remember when Jeremy Clarkson had a short-lived chat show and he attempted to play a vinyl copy of a Focus album. His guest, a BBC Radio One DJ (dark hair, pretty face, Geordie accent, no musical taste, forgotten her name) said, "That's bollocks, Jeremy." Various clips from progressive rock bands have been used on the soundtrack of Top Gear over the years.

'Comedian' Jim Davidson is an ELP fan. He once boasted that he had the first five albums on the auto-changer of his Rolls Royce. The band, or at least Greg Lake, re-recorded Karn Evil 9 (Welcome back my friends, etc) for the theme music to his version of The Generation Game. Frank Bough, TV sports presenter with a fondness for sado-masochism, cross dressing, vice girls and cocaine, also claimed to be an ELP fan.

Consisting, as it does, of two idiots and a weirdo, it's not exactly an illustrious list.

Postscript: When Chris Tarrant presented children's show TisWas on, what was then, the Midlands TV channel, he often made reference to rock bands, including Black Sabbath. He's no better than the above mentioned.

Rael
11-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Weren't the writers from Mystery Science Theater pretty big prog fans? I remember quite a few references from many episodes.

Progtopia
11-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Not really. He's an actor playing a role.

That's what I get for assuming. :oops I did try to Google "Paul Rudd Rush fan" and only came up with the video, so I did have some doubt.

iguana
11-26-2012, 01:16 PM
me! :D

spacefreak
11-26-2012, 01:42 PM

He's also a big late 60s, early 70s underground psych fan. I traded records with him several times in the mid 90s... Very knowlegeable as well.

zombywoof
11-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Weren't the writers from Mystery Science Theater pretty big prog fans? I remember quite a few references from many episodes.

They would often ramble off a bunch of prog band names, but they commonly referenced Hawkwind, Rush, Yes, and Zappa. In the booklet of "Counterparts", Rush returned the favor with a reference to them, I believe.

Progbear
11-26-2012, 03:09 PM
They would often ramble off a bunch of prog band names, but they commonly referenced Hawkwind, Rush, Yes, and Zappa. In the booklet of "Counterparts", Rush returned the favor with a reference to them, I believe.

There’s definitely a big Zappa fan amongst their ranks, possibly also a prog fan. There was a gag about the name “Emerson, Lake & Palmer” that would give Gypsy fits, another where Mike put on a wig and began playing The Six Wives of Henry VIII on the organ.

Hugh Cornwell of the Stranglers has expressed a love of Camel’s The Snow Goose and several Krautrock albums (NEU!, La Düsseldorf).

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Gliese 581g”-Gösta Berlings Saga/Glue Works

Nicky Cupcakes
11-26-2012, 03:31 PM

In MST3K The Movie, there was a line about one of the planets looking like a Roger Dean painting :) I assume it's the same writer(s) as the original episodes.

N_Singh
11-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Weird. Both Jello and Henry Rollins are huge record collectors--Rollins was asked to make his own Blue a note compilation set. The man knows his Tina Brooks from his Blue Mitchell. Much respect for that.

Rufus
11-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Saw Tony Hadley of Spandau Ballet at a Peter Gabriel gig in the early 80's.

soblivious
11-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Bill Bailey is a fan of the genre, Ian Rankin wrote about Greenslade in one novel... J.J. Burnel (Stranglers again) is a fan of Chris Squire...
will put my thinking cap on for any more
best
jy
www.johnyoungband.com

Rufus
11-26-2012, 05:47 PM
DJ Mike Reid listed Survival by Yes as one of his favourite all time songs .

Kevin Costner told Jon Anderson he was a big Yes fan when they met.

The Fantastic Progo Rican
11-26-2012, 06:56 PM
I believe one or more of the members of the band The Church.

progeezer
11-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Princess Diana was a big Queen, Genesis and Pink Floyd.I did see an interview with her years ago where she said that her favorite group was Supertramp and she did also mention Queen.

Progatron
11-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Did anyone say Rosanna Arquette yet?

I believe one or more of the members of the band The Church.

I saw them open for Van Der Graaf Generator.

Bucka001
11-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I can speak to the fandom of Van der Graaf Generator. Obviously, there are tons of musicians (and I mean a lot) from all different genres. Some are surprising (John Taylor of Duran Duran, Simon Gallup of The Cure, Nils Cline of Wilco, etc), some not so much.

But non musicians I'm aware of (and have interviewed for the VdGG book in some cases) would be best selling, award winning authors Ian Rankin, Michel Faber, Geoff Dyer, & David Peace; A-level music producers Sir George Martin (who was profuse in his praise of VdGG's version of Theme One), Hugh Padgham, Tchad Blake, and Jack Endino (Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc); movie directors Jonathan Demme (Silence of the Lambs, Philadelphia, etc) & Anthony Minghella (The English Patient, Talented Mr Ripley)...

Oh, and performance artist Lady Starlight (Lady Gaga's mentor)...

Oh, and author, musician, producer, and performance artist Bill Drummond...

etc etc etc

PotatoSolution
11-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Vincent Gallo is a weird dude, but an avowed prog fan. He even featured Yes and King Crimson songs extensively in his film "Buffalo '66".

Bucka001
11-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Vincent Gallo is a weird dude, but an avowed prog fan. He even featured Yes and King Crimson songs extensively in his film "Buffalo '66".

I interviewed John Frusciante (guitarist for Red Hot Chilli Peppers) for the VdGG book. He's a mega-VdGG fan and I asked him how he got into VdGG. He told me he was record shopping with Vincent Gallo and it was VG who saw a copy of The Least We Can Do in the store, and recommended it to John. I also read an interview with Gallo where he was talking about Buffalo in the 70's and he spoke of how everyone in Buffalo at that time was into VdGG (which has to be an exaageration). Vincent Gallo did see VdGG at their only U.S. show during their 70's heyday, in NYC in '76, which is pretty cool.

Baribrotzer
11-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Nels Cline of Wilco, That's not surprising at all. Nels was an avant-jazzer for decades before Wilco hired him, and simultaneous with that a big indie-rock fan and occasional collaborator with the likes of Sonic Youth's Lee Renaldo. The Cline solo album Dirty Baby is a fascinating and utterly idiosyncratic take on progressive music - it spreads a multitude of short to medium-length tracks across two discs with two different bands, playing everything from HenryCow-like compositions, to a West Coast take on John Zorn's cartoon music, to an Americana version of the Bitches' Brew sound.

mogrooves
11-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Stephen Colbert non-ironically seems to dig VdGG.....

A. Scherze
11-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Let's not forget Dr. Venture.

"Dean is introduced to prog rock."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af8ltlcZNi0

A. Scherze
11-26-2012, 08:35 PM
"Dean is caught in a Floyd Hole."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyY2zq6L2ew

Joe F.
11-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Stephen Colbert non-ironically seems to dig VdGG.....

I saw the one where he mentioned a Van Der Graaf generator, but it seemed like he was refering to the actual generator and not the band.

Was there something else that I missed?

Bucka001
11-26-2012, 08:52 PM
I saw the one where he mentioned a Van Der Graaf generator, but it seemed like he was refering to the actual generator and not the band.

Was there something else that I missed?

Yeah, I'd be inclined to agree with Joe F, but I never saw the episode in question. Mogrooves, I'd be interested to know if S. Colbert is truly a VdGG fan (we do still plan on doing a volume 2 of The Book, and I've got a list of celebs we didn't hit the first time around).

I do know that Dennis Miller mentioned VdGG (the band) on his short lived talk show of many years ago. Not sure if he actually liked them or not. Coming back from a commercial, he looked over at the house band and said something like, "Whoa, what was that, Van der Graaf Generator?"

simon moon
11-26-2012, 09:05 PM
In MST3K The Movie, there was a line about one of the planets looking like a Roger Dean painting :) I assume it's the same writer(s) as the original episodes.

There was an episode where a character in whatever bad sci-fi they were watching is walking down a hall past many labs with closed doors, and behind one of them there are some weird sounds.

One of the robots comments, "Robert Fripp must be practicing in that one".

mogrooves
11-26-2012, 09:15 PM
I'd be interested to know if S. Colbert is truly a VdGG fan.

I've heard him mention VdGG twice, and I'm fairly certain he was referring to the group of the same name.

Dennis Miller mentioned VdGG (the band) on his short lived talk show of many years ago.

While sweating through yet another stillborn monologue, he began naming the original members of Iron Butterfly! He was mercifully--for us!--axed soon thereafter....

Progatron
11-26-2012, 10:14 PM
I do know that Dennis Miller mentioned VdGG (the band) on his short lived talk show of many years ago.

I recall one of his Weekend Update segments on SNL where he mentioned shaving a square in his hair "a la Peter Gabriel circa 1972".

ThomasKDye
11-27-2012, 12:44 AM
More MST references:

Joel sings part of 'Roundabout' in the episode "Space Travellers aka Marooned". Tom or Crow responds with "Just say no to Yes."

In the episode "The Touch of Satan," Mike sings part of "The Trees" and the bots immediately hush him up. (He misquotes the line as "But the trees can't help their feelings," however.)

There are two different skits about "Owner of a Lonely Heart" in the episode "Final Justice." (The hilarious part is that Mike calls Yes a "techno band from the eighties.")

Bucka001
11-27-2012, 12:51 AM
More mst3k (one of my fave shows of all time). Don't remember the episode, but there is a scene with some large crates that have Rush stamped on the sides (as in rush delivery) and one of the bots says, "Hey, the new Rush albums are in." Also remember one of the shorts they did that had, I think, Bela Lugosi and was an old serial they showed on a few episodes. Someone in the cast credits had the last name Vandergrift, and one of the boys said, "Vandergrift generator" (though, I always thought they probably just referred to the invention).

Sunlight Caller
11-27-2012, 01:41 AM
A couple of UK radio personalities who have never denied their 70's heritage, unlike those who disowned prog in the latter years of the decade are Danny Baker and Stuart Maconie. In fact I'm reading Danny's autobiography right now, and a rattling good tale it is too, and he points out that while all the history has been rewritten so that we all listened to the cooler end of Motown, Stax etc in the early 70's, in actual fact the hipper kids were loving their Crimson, Yes etc

flytomars
11-27-2012, 02:29 AM
Probably old news for most but didnt see these get a mention-
Matt Groening (Simpsons creator) is a Captain Beefheart fan,
Edward ka spel (from excellent dutch group Legendary pink dots) is an avid Peter Hammill fan,
and Bruce Dickenson of Iron Maden clears rooms with VDGG and Magma...

TonyW
11-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Baker also wrote to one of the monthly magazines (either The Word - now sadly defunct - or Uncut) following their publication of Island's 50 Greatest Albums - he was outraged that none of ELP's Island albums were included - I don't remember the exact quote but it was along the lines of "(reggae album I can't remember) ahead of Pictures at an Exhibition? Fuck. Off. You snobs". I remember he had ELP on his radio show just ahead of their final gig at High Voltage - fanboy doesn't begin to describe him.

everyday
11-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Danny Baker's also a massive Todd Rundgren fan. I remember him saying he had something like 18 copies of one of his albums. All-round good bloke - for a Millwall fan!!

revporl
11-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Lady Starlight (Lady Gaga's stylist/DJ) is a huge VDGG fan and has recently produced a piece of contemporary dance in New York based around their music. Crime writer Mark Billingham is a huge fan of all things prog, Ian Rankin of Rebus fame, more selectively so (he loves Tull)

Duncan Glenday
11-27-2012, 11:14 AM
So far, almost all of these 'famous people' are strictly D-List.

I guess there aren't many A/B-List prog fans? :(

Bucka001
11-27-2012, 12:38 PM

I dunno, the folks I mentioned in a VdGG posting earlier in this thread are certainly A-list. As far as movie directors, both Jonathan Demme and Anthony Minghella won the Academy Award for Best Director. I also mentioned record producers George Martin (that's actually A plus level), and a couple others that are major players. And Ian Rankin is very successful, although maybe you have to be British to appreciate that (although I saw a whole shelf in Borders [RIP] that had his Rebus series here in Chicago a few years ago). Others have posted some pretty major people who are fans of other bands as well...

I steered clear of musicians because it's not so left field for musicians to be fans of other musicians, but if I went there I know that there are VdGG fans in Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Blur, The Cure, Duran Duran (well, they were A-level at one time!), Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc etc etc... oh, and David Bowie, Peter Gabriel, Arthur Brown, etc, are all VdGG (and probably other prog group) fans.

So, it may not be Brad Pitt or George Clooney, but not bad...

SoulFreq
11-27-2012, 01:18 PM
After YEARS of reading PE I joined so I could reply to this thread. I read a great article on Slate.com re: bestselling author Michael Chabon's love of prog. Check it out here. (http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/09/10/michael_chabon_interview_why_the_telegraph_avenue_ author_still_loves_prog_rock_.html)

Lino
11-27-2012, 03:58 PM
After YEARS of reading PE I joined so I could reply to this thread.

:lol right on! that's cool.

Duncan Glenday
11-27-2012, 05:27 PM
After YEARS of reading PE I joined so I could reply to this thread. I read a great article on Slate.com re: bestselling author Michael Chabon's love of prog. Check it out here. (http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/09/10/michael_chabon_interview_why_the_telegraph_avenue_ author_still_loves_prog_rock_.html)

Good article - thanks.

And welcome aboard!

Dana5140
11-27-2012, 05:28 PM
The author David Wingrove lists his love for a number of prog bands in some of his novels. This includes Magma.

mozo-pg
11-27-2012, 05:54 PM

LINO!!!!

polmico
11-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Lino!

So famous that he gets mentioned multiple times in a thread about how famous he is.

jeffo621
11-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Sci-fi author Alastair Reynolds has a species of aliens called "The Pattern Jugglers." I asked him via Twitter if that was a King Crimson reference, and he responded with something along the lines of "yes, I'm rather shameless with my prog fandom." He also was discussing his most recent book on a blog post that he titled "Elephant Talk" (elephants figure prominently in the plot)

And speaking of sci-fi authors, Kevin Anderson is a longtime Rush fan who recently co-authored a book with some drummer

mozo-pg
11-27-2012, 06:30 PM
So famous that he gets mentioned multiple times in a thread about how famous he is.

Lino! :D

Duncan Glenday
11-27-2012, 07:01 PM
And speaking of sci-fi authors, Kevin Anderson is a longtime Rush fan who recently co-authored a book with some drummer

You're right - and he did a lot more than that.

When he wrote The Edge Of The World - Kevin J> Anderson wrote lyrics for a progressive concept album that picks up on book's the main story line At the same time.

Progrock Records put together a strong lineup including James Labrie (Dream Theater), Michael Sadler (Saga), John Payne (Asia, GPS) and Lana Lane on vocals. Keyboards are courtesy of Erik Norlander (Rocket Scientists), guitarwork is from Gary Wehrkamp (Shadow Gallery) and Chris Brown (Ghost Circus), Kurt Barabas (Under The Sun) plays bass, Chris Quirarte (Prymary) plays drums, Kansas's David Ragsdale is on violin, Mike Alvarez on cello, and IQ's Martin Orford on flute.

The album is called Terra Incognita-Beyond the Horizon by Roswell Six. You can guess the style of the music from the artists involved - and it's operatic, hard-edged, melodic, slightly metallic prog.

See my review - along with a few others - here (http://www.seaoftranquility.org/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=7821).

So Anderson isn't just a prog fan - in many ways, he's also a prog artist.

JIF
12-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Robin Williams and Bruce Willis are both mega Genesis fans. Princess Diana was a big Queen, Genesis and Pink Floyd.I read in a Rock And Roll Encyclopedia that Princess Di's fave Genesis album was A Trick Of The Tail.

Big Ears
12-07-2012, 02:25 AM
When Loyd Grossman mentioned the Lemonheads on one of his TV programmes, Danny Baker sneered at his attempt to be be trendy by saying, "Listen to Mr Groundhogs here."

Scrotum Scissor
12-07-2012, 07:16 AM
So far, almost all of these 'famous people' are strictly D-List. I guess there aren't many A/B-List prog fans? :(
Here in Norway, our up-to-recent foreign minister (and now minister of health, as well as upcoming Labour Party leader and thus possible candidate for Prime minister), Jonas Gahr Støre, lists Magma's MDK amongst his fave albums. Our recent minister of labour, Helen Bjurstrøm, namechecks The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway as her very fave record. And one of our foremost public intellectuals and academics, professor of social anthropology Thomas Hylland Eriksen, is not only an ardent progressive/avant-prog fan who has even lectured on his own affinities - he has appeared on stage with Panzerpappa and others on several occasions.

But that's Norway for you.

Dana5140
12-07-2012, 07:35 AM
I would like to move to Norway!

Nicholas
12-07-2012, 09:51 AM
I'd love it if Wattie from The Exploited was a big Prog fan on the quiet. Could imagine he would have been into Sensational Alex Harvey Band which is prog to a degree.

NeonKnight
12-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Frank Costanza?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LaMmeNkGBs

Happy Festivus!!!

Jymbot
12-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Does Norway have canned smoked sprats in UNREFINED sunflowerseed oil?

Wounded Land
12-07-2012, 11:53 AM
In a club many years ago, I ran into a couple of members of the Hip Hop group Wu TAng Clan and we got into a long discussion about music and I mentioned that I was a fan of progressive rock, one of the members Reakwon recently samples a clip of Hackett's "Firth of Fifth" solo from Second's Out, had told me that they indeed were mega progressive rock fans, RZA, known more for his acting nowadays, has a huge collection of albums also mentioned that the members of Wu Tang would crash at his apartment and listen to progressive rock and chill!

:O

Can I start a petition for you to tell this story in its entirety?

ThomasKDye
12-08-2012, 12:22 AM

So prog snobs are snobbish about "famous" fans too?

Duncan Glenday
12-08-2012, 02:36 PM

Not at all. Just disappointed that we don't have more A-List fans.

jake
12-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Billy Connolly accepting his BAFTA award yesterday:

“When I used to drink in the Scotia Bar in Glasgow the regulars were either Tolkien or Incredible String Band and I was very much Incredible String Band. The Tolkiens were the kind of people that you’d see at the Edinburgh Festival with a big bunch of flyers in my hand."

Fracktured
12-11-2012, 11:49 AM
I remember when Jeremy Clarkson had a short-lived chat show and he attempted to play a vinyl copy of a Focus album. His guest, a BBC Radio One DJ (dark hair, pretty face, Geordie accent, no musical taste, forgotten her name) said, "That's bollocks, Jeremy." Various clips from progressive rock bands have been used on the soundtrack of Top Gear over the years.
I was watching an episode thye other day when Jeremy told James to do his lap for all the prog rockers everywhere. To which Richard Hammond replied "much like prog rock his lap will last 48 minutes and make sense to no-one."

Jefferson James
12-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I'd be interested to know if S. Colbert is truly a VdGG fan

I can't speak to Colbert's VdGG fandom but there was an episode of "Strangers With Candy" wherein Colbert continually sings "Carry On, Wayward Son" with gusto and, frankly, panache.

I read something with John Frusciante once where he mentioned Steve Howe's solo at the end of "Siberian Khatru" being a huge influence on his playing.

And of course Taylor Hawkins is a prog nerd.

malterb
12-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Known Rush fans include: Nicolas Cage, Jack Black, Paul Rudd (he is a big fan), Tom Hanks

Sherman Hemsley was a big Gentle Giant fan

Spindiver
12-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Regarding Danny Baker. I won a Peter Gabriel DVD/CD on his morning show once. That was not the same show where I took to task his guest, one Mr M. Rutherford for saying on air that there was no such thing as a female prog fan. How much more prog can you get than that!

I also recall a show where Rick Wakeman was guest and the pair spent a couple of hours discussing Rick's solo albums in great detail. As far as I'm concerned Danny has had his prog credentials well and truly stamped.

East New York
12-11-2012, 06:27 PM

:lol

They're never happy unless they're miserable!

progeezer
12-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Misery is the new happiness.

East New York
12-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Misery is the new happiness.

I always knew Shleprock was a 'prog snob' prog fan.

http://www.damnedct.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/schleprock.jpg

HoldYourFire
12-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Talk show host Michael Smirconish is a huge Yes fan. I caught him on air out of Philly on WPHT (The Big Talker) and he practically devoted a whole hour to talking about Yes.

Zeuhlmate
02-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Martin Clunes of 'men behaving badly' fame apparently likes Zappa:
"He also enjoys the music of Frank Zappa as he said in his episode of Desert Island Discs, in which one of his selections was "Doreen" from Zappa's album You Are What You Is."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Clunes#Personal_life

echolynfan
02-03-2014, 04:28 PM

Excellent - thanks for posting!

syncopatico
02-03-2014, 04:34 PM
Martin Clunes of 'men behaving badly' fame apparently likes Zappa:
"He also enjoys the music of Frank Zappa as he said in his episode of Desert Island Discs, in which one of his selections was "Doreen" from Zappa's album You Are What You Is."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Clunes#Personal_life

In the US he is better known as being the title character in the program "Doc Martin" (shown on PBS tv). Who would've thought that miserable bastard would have been a Zappa fan!?! Well, they said he is very different from the character he plays on that show. "ACTING!" ;)

echolynfan
02-03-2014, 04:49 PM
William Shatner: ""I think that prog rock is the science fiction of music."

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/10/william_shatner_1.html

JKL2000
02-03-2014, 06:39 PM
In the US he is better known as being the title character in the program "Doc Martin" (shown on PBS tv). Who would've thought that miserable bastard would have been a Zappa fan!?! Well, they said he is very different from the character he plays on that show. "ACTING!" ;)

Oh, love Doc Martin. Cool!

llanwydd
02-03-2014, 09:58 PM
I hate to say it but Rush Limbaugh likes Yes.

Steve F.
09-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Latest issue of Rolling Stone - Lenny Kranitz discussing Sherman Hemsley (his mom was in the cast of The Jeffersons)

"He used to wear tie-dye and jeans and sneakers and sit in the back of his limo blasting Yes. He'd be blasting 'Roundabout' and smoking his weed."

progeezer
09-29-2014, 07:52 PM
I would like to move to Norway!I've been saying that since 2010, when I spent over a week there with many friends, both American & Norwegian.

Will not derail this thread with my views on countries that get it right & countries that get it wrong, but Norway gets it right, while more & more countries keep getting it wrong.:)

I saw guitarist Doug (Duke) Erickson of Garbage, a Madison native, at a local show of the local band PROG (Yes, Tull, Gabe Genesis & Rush) & chatted him up a bit since his cousin is married to a woman I worked with for over 25 years.

ProgMusician
09-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Joss Whedon, of Buffy and Avengers, in addition to loving Stephen Sondheim, is a fan of some prog.

He's best known to me for his *Firefly* series. This would account for why the production company for that series is called "Mutant Enemy" :)

glawster2002
09-30-2014, 02:20 PM
John Lydon is also a huge fan of Hawkwind. Re: Lydon/Hammill... a couple years back, being host of the radio show got me an invite to go onstage to introduce Hugh Cornwell and his band. So we were backstage chatting a bit before the show and he was looking around at all the people that played the venue, and I mentioned Peter Hammill/VDGG (both brought to town by the same promoter). I forget the bass player's name but he looked like he was firmly in the punk camp, he pipes in and says "Peter Hammill played here??" I thought, wow, pretty cool that this punk knows Hammill. he says "Oh, I don't really know his music, I just know that John Lydon loves him." :D

John Lydon is a huge Pink Floyd fan as well, especially the Syd Barratt era.

Dana5140
09-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Lydon also a major fan of Magma.

Halmyre
09-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Sci-fi author Alastair Reynolds has a species of aliens called "The Pattern Jugglers." I asked him via Twitter if that was a King Crimson reference, and he responded with something along the lines of "yes, I'm rather shameless with my prog fandom." He also was discussing his most recent book on a blog post that he titled "Elephant Talk" (elephants figure prominently in the plot)

Reynolds actually works the phrase "shining flying purple wolfhounds" into one of his books. I just about fell off my chair when I saw it.

progguy
09-30-2014, 04:32 PM
I think that one of the characters from the 1979-1981 show "Buck Rogers" was named Tarkus. On one episode, anyway.

Adrian
09-30-2014, 04:57 PM
Joss Whedon, of Buffy and Avengers, in addition to loving Stephen Sondheim, is a fan of some prog.

He even named his production company Mutant Enemy, taken from 'And You and I' (there'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify).

Edit ... whoops, I see someone up the thread already commented on this!

Baribrotzer
09-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Lydon also a major fan of Magma.And is apparently friends with Keith Emerson, although this is relatively recent: Both live in San Diego, were introduced at a party, and hit it off. Apparently being British expatriates and being rock stars long past their sell-by date gave them a lot more in common than any musical differences. In fact, on that subject, the Sex Pistols were just about the only straight-up punk band Johnny Lydon sang in, and a fair bit of his post-Pistols work was progressive in its own way.

mozo-pg
03-30-2017, 12:49 PM
I saw a picture of Bob Marley reading Armando Gallo's book, I Know What I Like. Not sure if this was already mentioned.

firth5th
03-30-2017, 01:22 PM
I saw that Greek guy with the funny hair in those "I'm not saying it's aliens, but its aliens" meme at the Hollywood sound of contact concert. Lily Collins was there too (and Phil's ex) but that doesn't count.

Yodelgoat
03-30-2017, 03:22 PM
I dont recall exactly where I saw it - could be on the LOTR extras - that the guy who played Frodo Baggins was a prog fan (Elijah Woods). Or at least that he had it with him on set while they were filming LOTR. Perhaps it was just for inspiration...

Jerjo
03-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Elijah is a big music fan and crosses lots of genres. I saw a photo of him hanging out with Robert Plant at some festival in Africa a few years ago, he does some DJing, was a big champion of Daft Punk for a while. I remember watching the extras for the LOTR films and he pretty much dictated the playlist in the hobbits' makeup trailer. I could swear I saw some prog CDs in the stack.

Scott Bails
03-30-2017, 03:36 PM
I saw that Greek guy with the funny hair in those "I'm not saying it's aliens, but its aliens" meme at the Hollywood sound of contact concert. Lily Collins was there too (and Phil's ex) but that doesn't count.

It was probably already mentioned in the thread (too lazy to check), but Giorgio is a huge Marillion fan and often attends the Marillion weekends.

Progatron
03-30-2017, 06:06 PM

It was probably already mentioned in the thread (too lazy to check), but Giorgio is a huge Marillion fan and often attends the Marillion weekends.

Yes, I saw him at the last one in Montreal (2015?) signing autographs for people. I had no idea who he was and had to ask my wife. I've never watched (and never will watch) Ancient Aliens, so apart from that internet meme, that guy is a nobody to me. :p

JKL2000
03-30-2017, 06:40 PM
Yes, I saw him at the last one in Montreal (2015?) signing autographs for people. I had no idea who he was and had to ask my wife. I've never watched (and never will watch) Ancient Aliens, so apart from that internet meme, that guy is a nobody to me. :p

I've never heard of Ancient Aliens, or seen him aside from in that meme.

moecurlythanu
03-30-2017, 06:50 PM
I've never heard of Ancient Aliens, or seen him aside from in that meme.

He's Adele's brother.

JKL2000
03-30-2017, 06:51 PM
He's Adele's brother.

He might as well be. Didn't Adele recently win a Grammy for best album? I haven't heard a note from it.

aith01
03-30-2017, 11:30 PM

Whoa, that is pretty crazy. Never really watched the show, but I'd never have guessed either that he was a Marillion fan (much less attended the weekend events). :D

moecurlythanu
03-31-2017, 12:03 AM
Another feather in our cap.

Scrotum Scissor
03-31-2017, 03:48 AM
John Wayne Gacy was an intense fan of Steve Howe's singing.

happytheman
03-31-2017, 07:16 AM
Howard Stern loves Yes and King Crimson. Jello Biafra is a big Magma and VDGG fan.
Also a huge Roger Waters fan

Fracktured
03-31-2017, 07:53 AM

Aren't we all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aith01
03-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Another feather in our cap.

Yodelgoat
03-31-2017, 10:40 AM
I dont think we should despair. There are lots of people who like Prog, but who do not wish to make it known. My Daughters boyfriend in New York (Long Island - Kings park, in fact) is a huge Genesis, Marillion, Dream Theater fan, and he told me that most of his friends (in their 30's and 40's) are really into almost anything prog related, but that they just dont hang out in places like this, and if they did, they would never cop to it. the guy is a pseudo big wig at Apple, and he said that all the execs at Apple are tuned in to Prog as a part of their corporate culture. I dont know if he said this just to impress me, but it did.

So prog is still being sought by Gen X-ers, but they just do not want to be "defined" by it. Just look at us.... can you blame them?

JKL2000
03-31-2017, 10:45 AM
I dont think we should despair. There are lots of people who like Prog, but who do not wish to make it known. My Daughters boyfriend in New York (Long Island - Kings park, in fact) is a huge Genesis, Marillion, Dream Theater fan, and he told me that most of his friends (in their 30's and 40's) are really into almost anything prog related, but that they just dont hang out in places like this, and if they did, they would never cop to it. the guy is a pseudo big wig at Apple, and he said that all the execs at Apple are tuned in to Prog as a part of their corporate culture. I dont know if he said this just to impress me, but it did.

So prog is still being sought by Gen X-ers, but they just do not want to be "defined" by it. Just look at us.... can you blame them?

Also, if any of that is correct, they probably know mostly Floyd, Yes, Rush, and later Genesis and think of that alone as "prog." So it's not something they'd needed to "investigate," and "challenge" themselves with. It's not like they're choosing the top 5 Krautrock albums or ranking Glass Hammer albums and whatnot.

Yodelgoat
03-31-2017, 10:51 AM
Oh yes, I figured Floyd, Rush would go without saying. Its all a part of our world, and I suppose... its huge in theirs as well.

Jubal
03-31-2017, 11:14 AM
Elijah is a big music fan and crosses lots of genres. I saw a photo of him hanging out with Robert Plant at some festival in Africa a few years ago, he does some DJing, was a big champion of Daft Punk for a while. I remember watching the extras for the LOTR films and he pretty much dictated the playlist in the hobbits' makeup trailer. I could swear I saw some prog CDs in the stack.

Led Zeppelin had several LOTR references in their songs. In Ramble On "and Gollum, and the Evil one crept up and slipped away with her chair." I don't recall any scene like that in LOTR, but that is the only book I have ever heard of mentioning the name Gollum.

Steve F.
03-31-2017, 05:18 PM

:up

Gabba Gabba!

One of us!!!

Yellow Jester
04-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Anyone here watch the series Archer on FX? A recurring theme on the show is the appearance of different cover art from Rush albums on the van driven by "Algernon Krieger". Someone who works on the show is a Rush fan.

LEG-art
04-03-2017, 07:15 PM
Sherman Hensley (George Jefferson from the famous sitcom), was a huge Gentle Giant and Nektar fan. He even played Nektar in one episode.

progeezer
04-03-2017, 10:27 PM
Hemsley was a white long haired stoner hippie in an alternative body.

tarkus61
04-05-2017, 01:56 AM
Looks like Michael Chiklis is a Progfan
http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-04-03/michael-chiklis-my-top-10-classic-rock-albums

Mikhael
04-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Led Zeppelin had several LOTR references in their songs. In Ramble On "and Gollum, and the Evil one crept up and slipped away with her chair." I don't recall any scene like that in LOTR, but that is the only book I have ever heard of mentioning the name Gollum.

Actually, I think it was "Gollum, and the evil Warg, crept up and slipped away with her, her, yeah..."

JKL2000
04-06-2017, 12:46 PM

Actually, I think it was "Gollum, and the evil Warg, crept up and slipped away with her, her, yeah..."

I think it's "evil one."

"But the chair is not my son..."

Chuck AzEee!
09-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Alphonso Johnson loved Genesis, he saw them many times during the 70's.

dpt3
09-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Alphonso Johnson loved Genesis, he saw them many times during the 70's.

Not only that, he rehearsed with them after Hackett left, and even recommended Daryl Stuermer to them.

moecurlythanu
09-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Steven Wilson is a famous Progfan. Wait, my bad...He's not a fan.

JKL2000
09-08-2017, 01:33 PM
Steven Wilson is a famous Progfan. Wait, my bad...He's not a fan.

What makes you think he's not a fan of prog?

moecurlythanu
09-08-2017, 01:36 PM
What makes you think he's not a fan of prog?

Um...I don't know...Maybe his statements?

JKL2000
09-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Um...I don't know...Maybe his statements?

What? Just last month in The Guardian he called Progressive Rock "one of the most ambitious forms of music."
I really don't know what statements you're referring to.

moecurlythanu
09-08-2017, 02:18 PM
What? Just last month in The Guardian he called Progressive Rock "one of the most ambitious forms of music."

To be fair, I haven't paid a lick of attention to Mr. Wilson since In Absentia, so he may be singing quite a different tune now, as you indicate. However, in the 90s, he was pretty dismissive of the genre. I'm not going to go looking through fanzines or websites for quotes, but I thought this was common knowledge?

mozo-pg
09-08-2017, 02:21 PM

What about the fact that he has produced a ton of prog CDs in the last few years?

JKL2000
09-08-2017, 02:31 PM
To be fair, I haven't paid a lick of attention to Mr. Wilson since In Absentia, so he may be singing quite a different tune now, as you indicate. However, in the 90s, he was pretty dismissive of the genre. I'm not going to go looking through fanzines or websites for quotes, but I thought this was common knowledge?

I only remember him in the 90s saying he was going to "drag progressive rock kicking and screaming into the 21st century." He didn't say anything like he didn't like prog, he just wanted to "update" it, which I think a lot of artists wanted to do.

moecurlythanu
09-08-2017, 02:44 PM
I only remember him in the 90s saying he was going to "drag progressive rock kicking and screaming into the 21st century." He didn't say anything like he didn't like prog, he just wanted to "update" it, which I think a lot of artists wanted to do.

No, it was more negative than that. He didn't say "Man, I hate that shit," but he's British, so he wouldn't. (And he probably didn't hate it. After all, he was ripping Floyd off.) I'd say dismissive or mildly disparaging about nails it.

Nador
09-08-2017, 06:14 PM
A-list celebrity (and A+ Trump impersonator) Alec Baldwin likes him some YES

http://www.wnyc.org/story/jon-anderson-musical-adventure-isnt-over/

dpt3
09-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Now he's dragging it kicking and screaming into the 1980s!

Duncan Glenday
09-08-2017, 08:17 PM

He told me that he was frustrated with "progressive" musicians turning out the same thing album after album, and that wasn't "progressing" at all - and in part it's because many fans resist change.

More about my conversation with him here:
http://seaoftranquility.org/article.php?sid=393

And a pic my wife took during that conversation:

http://seaoftranquility.org/images/articles/pt_pic_03.jpg

JKL2000
09-08-2017, 09:57 PM
He was just a young sprout then. So were you - nice pic!

Progbear
09-09-2017, 12:55 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/rF5ydFtJRhymY/giphy.gif