PDA

View Full Version : Minor Giant - A New Dutch Progressive Rock Band

Bill0604
11-24-2012, 11:54 PM
I love to explore new music!!

Over a year ago I heard a wonderful song on Sound Cloud titled “On the Road” written by Rindert Lammers.

You can listen here:

http://soundcloud.com/rindertlammers

The vocal version is sung by Christiaan Bruin from the very talented Dutch band Sky Architect.

Lammers is now in a new band called Minor Giant. Their first album “On the Road” will be released some time in 2013.
But just from the few clips on YouTube it is obvious, at least to me, that they are an excellent band well worth watching out for.

Rindert Lammers Keys
Roy Post Drums
Jordi Repkes Guitars & Vocals
Harry den Hartog Basses
Jos Heijmans Keys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcle3tIX4ww

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LeOFwzXreA&feature=relmfu

Don’t forget Sky Architect. They have two albums out with a third on the way.

SymfoZone
11-26-2012, 04:09 AM
Cheers, Bill. Great thread! :)
Minor Giant had their inaugural gig at the Progmotion Festival in Uden, NL on Sept. 1. There are some clips on the Minor Giant YT page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lC3oNRZmFI&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayVruVqeKr4&feature=plcp

And there's also a short clip, shot in the studio:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xYVbCZdfjM&feature=plcp

Debut album recordings are going as planned. Last track is to be recorded early December. We are looking at a April/May 2013 release.

Regards,
Jos

Bill0604
11-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Jos I don't understand it. It appears that Minor Giant have an opportunity to be successful and make a nice contribution
to the Progressive rock genre but there seems to be little interest.

I just don't understand it. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

SymfoZone
02-08-2013, 02:53 AM
Here is another little Minor Giant video teaser. Filmed while we were recording the track 'The Last Road'. This is only a rough mix and the vocals are missing, but you'll get an idea what we're all about.

http://youtu.be/9c1vYZkuIDg

Enjoy, and if you want to share it in any way, please do so...

Cheers,
Jos

polmico
02-08-2013, 06:51 AM
I just don't understand it. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

I just heard of them. Thanks for posting.

SuperTed
02-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Nice thread bump - missed it the first time round!

This is right up my street so something to look forward to :)

Bill0604
02-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Here is another little Minor Giant video teaser. Filmed while we were recording the track 'The Last Road'. This is only a rough mix and the vocals are missing, but you'll get an idea what we're all about.

Enjoy, and if you want to share it in any way, please do so...

Cheers,
Jos

Jos thanks so much for the video clip. From what I have heard so far I absolutely love the sound of Minor Giant and so much look forward to the new album.

Please let me know when it is released. We have got to find a way to get you guys to the States. I will talk to George and plant a seed for the band to
play at Rosfest next year.

Best of luck finishing the new album.

Bill

SymfoZone
02-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. I'll let you know when our debut album will be released. And Bill, we'd love to come over and play Rosfest. Thanks for putting in a good word.

Cheers,
Jos

JKL2000
02-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Are they "Flower Kings" influenced? I ask because of the Flower Kings song "Minor Giant Steps." Haven't listened to the clips yet.

Bill0604
02-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Thank you all for your kind words. I'll let you know when our debut album will be released. And Bill, we'd love to come over and play Rosfest. Thanks for putting in a good word.

Cheers,
Jos

This thread has had 350 hits, but you might want to let Markwin post the album, when it is released, on Progstreaming. He is Dutch too so you might be aware of this
already. I am going to buy the album regardless, but Progstreaming certainly will reach many Prog fans. I also saw the blog post about the band on DPRP.

Are they "Flower Kings" influenced? I ask because of the Flower Kings song "Minor Giant Steps." Haven't listened to the clips yet.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I think Minor Giant is a type of carnivorous plant.

SymfoZone
03-06-2013, 07:29 AM
This probably only of interest to Dutch readers of PE, but Minor Giant are playing a gig in the city of Alphen aan den Rijn, at the Parktheater on Friday April, 12th. We will play all of the debut album, and after the break we'll play a couple of cover tunes and reprise some things from the first set. Tickets are € 7,50 (including 1 free drink). To get the tickets you'll have to send an e-mail to smcalphen@live.nl.

Recently, another YT clip of our September gig surfaced. It's a fragment from Hand In Hand, one of the shorter tracks on the album.

http://youtu.be/-jvdiFZaZPg

As far as the name Minor Giant is concerned: we are not directly influenced by The Flower Kings musically, but their track title Minor Giant Steps certainly played a part in coming up with the name. As we are a new band on the scene, and from a small country as well, we nonetheless try to make a significant contribution to prog. These things combined, led us to Minor Giant.

Bill0604
03-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Jos, any news on the release of the new album???

SymfoZone
03-07-2013, 02:52 AM
Thanks for your interest, Bill. The last bits are being recorded at the moment. We are aiming for a release around Summer time.

JIF
03-10-2013, 01:47 AM
This probably only of interest to Dutch readers of PE, but Minor Giant are playing a gig in the city of Alphen aan den Rijn, at the Parktheater on Friday April, 12th. We will play all of the debut album, and after the break we'll play a couple of cover tunes and reprise some things from the first set. Tickets are € 7,50 (including 1 free drink). To get the tickets you'll have to send an e-mail to smcalphen@live.nl.

Recently, another YT clip of our September gig surfaced. It's a fragment from Hand In Hand, one of the shorter tracks on the album.

http://youtu.be/-jvdiFZaZPg

As far as the name Minor Giant is concerned: we are not directly influenced by The Flower Kings musically, but their track title Minor Giant Steps certainly played a part in coming up with the name. As we are a new band on the scene, and from a small country as well, we nonetheless try to make a significant contribution to prog. These things combined, led us to Minor Giant.I thought that Minor Giant was a tip of the hat to Gentle Giant.

Bill0604
09-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Is there any news on their release of their first album?

bill g
09-24-2013, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I'd be interested in this as well. Missed the previous threads. I like Sky Architect.

akagert
09-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Is there any news on their release of their first album?

On the 12th of October they will perform live at the Northern Prog Festival in The Netherlands, together with some outstanding Dutch prog bands (The Aurora Project, Odyssice, Pink Faces and Leap Day). As far as I know they don't bring along their long awaited album, but maybe they surprise me. Their search for a new bass player might slow things down a bit...

gingernut
09-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Great stuff. One to look out for.

SymfoZone
10-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Press release October 2013

Minor Giant announce new bass player: Rik van Dommelen

We are very proud, excited and happy to announce that Rik van Dommelen is our new bass player. As is almost customary nowadays, Rik was an internet discovery. Minor Giant traced him down on YouTube. In a number of clips his exploits were to be noticed in songs by Spock's Beard, DeeExpus and Flying Colors. We thought this could just be the man the band was looking for. Rik's talent became apparent earlier this year, when he joined Marillion on stage to perform 'The Other Half' during the Marillion Weekend in Port Zelande. (http://youtu.be/A2jBTI2wB5o)
Rik: “I was sold immediately when I heard the demo of 'On The Road'. When I was actually asked to be the bass player of Minor Giant, my enthusiasm peaked. It is a great honour to work with such fantastic people (and extremely talented musicians). As we all share the same passion for music I expect nothing but greatness and I am looking forward to our future endeavours!”
The first venue where you can see and hear the band with their new protégé, is the Northern Prog Festival on the 12th of October next. Welcome, Rik!

Northern Prog Festival
Minor Giant will perform at the Northern Prog Festival in Siegerswoude (NL), on the 12th of October. The band wil hit the stage at five o'clock in the afternoon to perform for 75 minutes. The set will include songs from the debut album 'On The Road' as well as some covers.

In the picture from left to right:
Rindert Lammers
Jordi Repkes
Rik van Dommelen
Roy Post
Jos Heijmans
www.minorgiant.com
www.facebook.com/minorgiant
www.youtube.com/minorgiant

Digital_Man
10-10-2013, 12:42 PM
As far as the name Minor Giant is concerned: we are not directly influenced by The Flower Kings musically, but their track title Minor Giant Steps certainly played a part in coming up with the name. As we are a new band on the scene, and from a small country as well, we nonetheless try to make a significant contribution to prog. These things combined, led us to Minor Giant.

Not influenced by The Flower Kings? Ok, well how about a certain 70's band who's name is half of your name? ;)

JIF
10-10-2013, 10:18 PM
Not influenced by The Flower Kings? Ok, well how about a certain 70's band who's name is half of your name? ;)I believe I said that first in post #14, but I didn't get a reply.

Christopher Henry
10-10-2013, 10:48 PM
:lol

SymfoZone
10-11-2013, 02:36 AM
Not influenced by The Flower Kings? Ok, well how about a certain 70's band who's name is half of your name?

Sorry, don't know any other 70's bands with Minor in their name ;)

There's more of a Spock's, Neal Morse, Jadis, Frost* kind of vibe to our music, than TFK, but when you like to listen to that kind of music you're bound to absorp a note or two, I think.

Oh, and Jif: sorry, I didn't read your post as a question. We wish we were half as good as Gentle Giant.

Thank you again for your replies.

Digital_Man
10-11-2013, 04:06 AM
So that's a no on the GG? ;)

SymfoZone
10-11-2013, 05:39 AM
So that's a no on the GG? ;)

'fraid so. Just a happy coincidence. Would love to do a cover of one of their tunes one day, by the way. Preferably something off Glass House or Power and the Glory. Although something like I'm Turning Around is probably easier to play ;)

SymfoZone
01-24-2014, 06:49 AM
Here's a quick update on the Minor Giant status: all the work on the debut is complete. The album is recorded, mixed an mastered, and the artwork is complete. We are now in the process of getting labels interested in putting out the CD. So, hopefully not long before it's out there. In the mean time here's a clip of the title track as performed at the Celebrate2014 festival on January, 11th 2014.

http://youtu.be/B4oUU_OjidY

old school
01-25-2014, 05:49 PM
'fraid so. Just a happy coincidence. Would love to do a cover of one of their tunes one day, by the way. Preferably something off Glass House or Power and the Glory. Although something like I'm Turning Around is probably easier to play ;)
You should try the title tune In A Glass House. I know it's a hard one to tackle but fun.

SymfoZone
01-27-2014, 08:50 AM
You should try the title tune In A Glass House. I know it's a hard one to tackle but fun.

Maybe we will ;)

SymfoZone
03-10-2014, 08:37 AM
Just a quick note to inform you about the release of our CD 'On The Road'. We have received some great feedback from various labels, and although we don't have a definitive release date yet, we're confident that it will be sooner rather than later. And to tide you over, here's (a part of) the cover.

SymfoZone
05-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Minor Giant - On The Road, will be released on June, 30

We are thrilled to announce that we have signed to UK-based label Festival Music (F2) for the release of our debut album On The Road. The album will hit the shops and digital stores worldwide on Monday, June 30th.
A release party will be held on Sunday, June 29th at the Parktheater, Alphen aan den Rijn. It promises to be a great evening of fun and music for everyone. We have also a couple of special guests lined up. Details will be announced real soon.

Forthcoming gigs Minor Giant:
May, 24: De Klos, Emmeloord (NL)
June, 29: Parktheater, Alphen a/d Rijn (NL;release party On The Road)
July, 6: 't Blok, Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel (NL)
September, 19: De Boerderij, Zoetermeer (NL; support for Mystery)

SymfoZone
06-01-2014, 07:07 AM
Here's the album trailer for the On The Road album, out on June 30th on the Festival Music label.

http://youtu.be/rO-apDnvX0s

SuperTed
07-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Just picked this up and it's excellent!

SymfoZone
07-11-2014, 02:26 AM
Cheers SuperTed, much appreciated.

For progfans state side: Laser's Edge also carries the CD (https://www.lasercd.com/cd/road-1).

Jos

Sunhillow
07-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Bought this last week. It's indeed very strong!