PDA

View Full Version : The Camel Thread

Hour Candle
11-24-2012, 06:03 PM
I've been a fan since about 1973 and I've stayed that way(fan!) Hey!! I'm odd. Love the early stuff, of course, but also the later albums. Nude, The Single Factor, Stationary Traveller, Pressure Points, Dust and Dreams, Rajaz and A Nod and A Wink....

Gravedigger
11-24-2012, 06:46 PM
There is no such thing as a bad Camel album, imo. Even the much-maligned Single Factor has its charms.
Seeing them at NEARfest 03 was a dream come true.

eporter66
11-25-2012, 08:56 PM
One of my favorite bands, hope Andy will release some new music.

Progatron
11-25-2012, 10:03 PM
I love the first four and the last four. :D

I do like some stuff from the middle albums as well of course (especially "Ice" and most of Nude). But the first and last four are my favourites. Rajaz in particular is an excellent album.

Musitron
11-26-2012, 12:47 PM
I still remenber when I first hear 'Mirage'. It was in 74 or 75. Wow! what a sound. But later when some members of Caravan joined Camel it was not the same. Too smooth. They should changed the name for Caramel ;)

lycialive
11-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Thank you for the Camel thread. One of the best bands ever. I began with the Moonmadness album and loved it. Ever since then I've been hooked. I can't listen to "Ice" only once. It has to get played twice.

yogibear
11-28-2012, 07:49 PM
yeah i am a big fan but mostly of the peter bardens andy latimer rekkids. So for me their best is Mirage or Raindances with Moonmadness a close second or third. "a live record" is really killer with the live snow goose which to me comes off better than the recorded version.

Mr Rael
11-29-2012, 04:03 PM
There is no such thing as a bad Camel album, imo. Even the much-maligned Single Factor has its charms.
Seeing them at NEARfest 03 was a dream come true.

Yep. No such thing as a bad Camel album.

rickmoraz
11-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Yep. No such thing as a bad Camel album.

Indeed

Ed

Rufus
11-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Great band with Nude being my favourite tho there's something to like on all their albums . The remasters are all value for money with loads of extras ! Anyone bought the box set Rainbows End ?The price has prevented me from doing so thus far unless someone can convince me to take the plunge !From reccolection there's nothing on it that hadn't been release? Also any DVD reccomedations¿

Nicholas
11-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Best Prog band and their debut my favourite Prog album. I'd recommend them to anybody who wants to know what progressive music is like. My first brush with the genre was with Marillion and Camel were my way into the classic era.

lycialive
11-30-2012, 12:06 PM
I'd walk a mile for a camel. Live stuff, always fantastic. Great band!

Camelogue
11-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Well you know what I think.

Mr Class & Quality?
11-30-2012, 02:11 PM
I have the first four Camel albums. I prefer the debut and 'Mirage' to 'The Snow Goose' or 'Moonmadness'. Believe it or not but I've never heard the song Ice before!

zombywoof
11-30-2012, 02:19 PM
I have the first four Camel albums. I prefer the debut and 'Mirage' to 'The Snow Goose' or 'Moonmadness'.

Same here. The Snow Goose seems to start out strong and lose focus. However, I do love Mirage and the debut.

arise_shine
11-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Big fan here. I like or love most of everything they've done. A few "meh" albums here and there (for me). Not a big fan of the "pop" stuff they tried to do, but I like the Pressure Points live album a lot. Actually, most of the live albums are favorites of mine. But yeah, Moonmadness is a desert-island disc for me. A near-perfect album, and pretty much sums up everything I love about Camel.

And yeah, they started mellowing out somewhat after "Mirage". They could still bring some rock energy, but the smoother, more melodic stuff took over. That's fine with me (some of my favorite Camel songs are the mellow/quiet/soft ones), but I understand how others don't get into it.

Nicholas
12-01-2012, 07:02 AM
I have the first four Camel albums. I prefer the debut and 'Mirage' to 'The Snow Goose' or 'Moonmadness'.

I bought the reissues of the first four and then the two Caravan-centric releases. Also have I Can See Your House From Here on vinyl so I'm halfway through the canon. I think Moonmadness is the hardest to get into of the original line up. The Snow Goose is maybe level with Mirage for second place. The latter probably just edges it as it bridges the original sound with a conceptual edge.

happytheman
12-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Big fan here. I like or love most of everything they've done. A few "meh" albums here and there (for me). Not a big fan of the "pop" stuff they tried to do, but I like the Pressure Points live album a lot. Actually, most of the live albums are favorites of mine. But yeah, Moonmadness is a desert-island disc for me. A near-perfect album, and pretty much sums up everything I love about Camel.

Moonmadness is where I started with Camel. A friend lent it to me and after one listen I went out and bought it! Something to like on every release I own...

wurensh
12-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Believe it or not but I've never heard the song Ice before!

Wow... like a Genesis fan saying "I've never heard of Supper's Ready"... ;-) Best version, IMHO is from the Never Let Go release... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FVbivYwc68. I was introduced to Camel in HS with "I Can See Your House..." - and I'd concur - I've not heard a bad Camel album. I consider myself blessed to have seen Camel 3 times - and each was stellarly awesome.

Mr Class & Quality?
12-03-2012, 03:10 AM
:D I can't imagine never having heard 'Suppers Ready'. I heard my first Camel album (Mirage) only twelve months ago and since then I have bought their first four albums. Thanks for the link. I will definitely check out 'Ice' and report back with my thoughts. :)

Obarmoth
12-03-2012, 04:16 AM
Ice is THE prog guitar solo to die for. Of all time. From anyone. Ever.

enpdllp
12-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Ice is THE prog guitar solo to die for. Of all time. From anyone. Ever.

Huge fan of Camel here. At the NYC shows during their farewell tour in 2003, I saw tears coming out from a few grown men when Camel played Ice. Latimer is one of the most soulful guitar players out there.

ca1ore
12-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Sure would be nice to see one more studio effort from AL - particularly since the last one was so strong.

eporter66
12-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Sure would be nice to see one more studio effort from AL - particularly since the last one was so strong.

I agree, I think "A Nod and A Wink" is a very strong record, LeBlanc and Andy have chemistry together, some nice dueling solos from the two. I think "For Today" is a very emotional recording and from the liner notes was inspired by the events of 9/11.

nearfest
12-03-2012, 04:56 PM
"news soon" on the website it says. Hopefully it involves more than just a new model T-shirt :-)

Smörgåsbord
12-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I Can See Your House From Here
It just dawned upon me that the album artwork alludes to a painting by Salvador Dali (hanging on the wall in front of me, actually).

Subtle, just as Camel's music.

enpdllp
12-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Best version, IMHO is from the Never Let Go release... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FVbivYwc68.

I am not sure if it has to do with the type of guitar Andy used, Les Paul replica (Burny Super Grade Model) vs Fender Stratocaster, but I prefer the version from the 2003 Farewell tour. It sounds fuller with the Burny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-sp0gZQPRs

bill g
12-03-2012, 08:22 PM
First time I heard Camel was as an opening band to Wishbone Ash. I was pretty blown away by Camel that night, their positive energy, and their great sound. The next day I bought Mirage, and the rest was history. I agree with those who have said there is not a bad Camel album. Even 'Single Factor' has something, though I might call it my least favorite. Yes, Ice is an exceptional guitar solo. Andy can really make the guitar sing. My favorite Camel song ever is 'Echoes', I think. But overall album? I couldn't say. I've always loved 'Moonmadness', that could be my favorite, but I won't discount 'A Nod & A Wink' either, there's a lot to offer there, but it suffers from not coming out in our formative years.

Smörgåsbord
12-04-2012, 03:45 AM
So what are the killer songs - like "Ice" - post Rain Dances?

enpdllp
12-04-2012, 05:08 AM

Echoes and The Sleeper from Breathless are the first ones that come to mind. The Hour Candle from Harbour Of Tears might also be to your liking.

Rand Kelly
12-04-2012, 06:54 AM
[? Also any DVD reccomedations¿[/QUOTE]

All of them. I own about 6 I think. Buy direct from Camel at www.camelproductions.com

Nicholas
12-04-2012, 11:56 AM

I love Breathless both the title track and the album :)

bill g
12-04-2012, 12:04 PM
A few post Raindance killer songs-

Breathless - Echoes
Harbour of Tears - Running From Paradise, Coming of Age
Rajaz - Three Wishes
Nod & A Wink - Squigley Fair

ItalProgRules
12-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I still remenber when I first hear 'Mirage'. It was in 74 or 75. Wow! what a sound. But later when some members of Caravan joined Camel it was not the same. Too smooth. They should changed the name for Caramel ;)

:lol

Smörgåsbord
12-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Richard Sinclair was/is an excellent vocalist. Who doesn't love "Tell Me"?

bill g
12-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Richard Sinclair was/is an excellent vocalist. Who doesn't love "Tell Me"?

He brings something unique to 'Summer Lightning' as well, though things like 'Down of the Farm' which has a nice charm, doesn't work for me quite like his work with Hatfield & The North.

Mr Rael
12-05-2012, 03:55 PM
"news soon" on the website it says. Hopefully it involves more than just a new model T-shirt :-)

Don't fall for that. When they posted that message about 2 years ago, I jumped on it and posted a thread on PE hoping someone might have some inside info, but it was not to be.
Too bad. The very thought of a new Camel project got me all excited.