PDA

View Full Version : Burlington, Ontario Record Show

Jymbot
11-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Tomorrow 10;30 AM.
Burlington Senior's Center ,New Street (opposite Central Library)
Only 3 dollah.

Get down onnit, local Jimmehs!

80s were ok
11-24-2012, 09:37 AM
man used to love record shows but they are so not what they used to be. They still have one in North Jersey once in a while and I think they still charge like $6 to get in or something. Then there is the Thanksgiving Show which used to be in Valley Forge - I have no idea where it is now or if it's even sponsered by a radio station. That used to be good too...now, kind of lame.

Jymbot
11-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Record shows still going strong in South Ontario.

We are not total barbarians here, you know.

Progatron
11-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Jymbot, are you from Burlington? I was surprised to see this thread title here on PE! Pleasantly, though. :) I had no idea about this record show.

Jymbot
11-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Burlington's resident prog masterman.

Show is apparently growing in popularity - next year its going to be bi-annual.

Of course, its nothing to compare with the Toronto show, but for me its all about convenience and saying "fuck" to the car.

Progatron
11-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Burlington's resident prog masterman.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to challenge you on that. ;)

moecurlythanu
11-24-2012, 08:04 PM
My money's on Jymbot....Pass the popcorn.

Progatron
11-24-2012, 08:46 PM
My money's on Jymbot....Pass the popcorn.

LOL everyone loves an underdog! I should curtail my sabre-rattling, though, and point out that I am focusing more on 'Burlington' than 'prog masterman'. :D

Jymbot
11-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Us Mastermen stick together.
Mark is a Masterman of the first water when it comes to UK folk/folkrock.
And that's no cobblers either.

Dont tell me you are situated in Burlington as well.

Progatron
11-24-2012, 11:11 PM
But I am though - I am.

moecurlythanu
11-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Man, you guys need to break bread and catch up on old times....

Calabasas_Trafalgar
11-25-2012, 01:50 AM
I'll take Jymbot and raise you ten.

Jymbot
11-25-2012, 09:37 AM
I will seek him and BREAK HIM DOWN.

Belikes he is one of these bedeviled, benighted hoards of infamy-style of Mastermen. Dime-a-dozen. Those which obsess over the cornerstone bands and know all there is to know about Jon Anderson ,right down to brand of toothpaste. (And whether or not Ian Anderson's most-prized codpiece is made of Egyptian cotton or no.)

To be a true Prog Masterman one needs be fluent in the ancillary genres which prog espoused and built-upon. Specifically psych, heavy rock, jazz-fusion and UK pop. (Most say blues also, since prog most certainly came out of the blues - but I place less emphasis on this. Yes, it started from blues, but many UK bands quickly moved away from that limitation/formula. Anyways - I dislike the blues and am reluctant to learn it in depth.)

Burling Masterman. Humphh! Right. 30 year-old junior. Started off with cds - like most on this forum.

Know ye all that The Most High will find you wanting if you merely started-off with cd medium and did not cut your teeth, as Wallace -err... Jymbot - did on vinyl.

To be a Masterman one must be old-school.

False Burlington Mastermanish person: I throw you this question (to which, the way I worded it, the answer cannot be found on a feckin' web search): what well-respected pwog VINYL was issued in "geometric" textured foc pattern but then quickly made into 2nd press gatefold with "pigskin" textured pattern?

Jymbot
11-25-2012, 09:51 AM
No...I shall strive to be civil for a main factor of mastermanship is to always be open to POTENTIAL TRADE. Who knows, you might have something I needs.

Im off to the record show now - not that records interest you.

But, should you be there, you will recognize me:

I am old and rather ugly.
I look like politician Preston Manley (spelt wrong, no doubts).
I am bald - but that will be covered in glorious orange corderouy tamoshanter.
I wear a fifty year-old greytcoat in the manner of Claude Jeremiah Greengrass.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/baggra/Bitco/psych/82791_1.jpg

Either ways, if you deem to be present, my magical walking stick will most certainly find you out.

You are called to judgement, Burlington Masterman person. Young arrogant whippersnapper.

Progatron
11-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Belikes he is one of these bedeviled, benighted hoards of infamy-style of Mastermen. Dime-a-dozen. Those which obsess over the cornerstone bands and know all there is to know about Jon Anderson ,right down to brand of toothpaste. (And whether or not Ian Anderson's most-prized codpiece is made of Egyptian cotton or no.)

To be a true Prog Masterman one needs be fluent in the ancillary genres which prog espoused and built-upon. Specifically psych, heavy rock, jazz-fusion and UK pop. (Most say blues also, since prog most certainly came out of the blues - but I place less emphasis on this. Yes, it started from blues, but many UK bands quickly moved away from that limitation/formula. Anyways - I dislike the blues and am reluctant to learn it in depth.)

Burling Masterman. Humphh! Right. 30 year-old junior. Started off with cds - like most on this forum.

Know ye all that The Most High will find you wanting if you merely started-off with cd medium and did not cut your teeth, as Wallace -err... Jymbot - did on vinyl.

To be a Masterman one must be old-school.

False Burlington Mastermanish person: I throw you this question (to which, the way I worded it, the answer cannot be found on a feckin' web search): what well-respected pwog VINYL was issued in "geometric" textured foc pattern but then quickly made into 2nd press gatefold with "pigskin" textured pattern?

I appreciate the decade you have shaved from my age - truly, I do. :cool Even still, you have been wearing down the earth longer than I, so I have some catching up to do.

The physical medium appears of utmost importance - If it please you, I should mention that I indeed began with LPs (after an early discovery of my older brother's LP collection to be found in milk crates and Pop Shoppe bottle holders), and have retained a modest collection (yes, I moved on to CDs in the 90s). One of the loveliest for me is the original The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other, and one of the most heartbreaking was the loss of Absolute Elsewhere's In Search Of Ancient Gods, ruined long ago (along with the debut Caravan LP cover) by a roommate's idiocy. CDs are my thing now for practical reasons and in many cases, necessity. So although I would prefer my Spring album (for instance, and if I may continue to name-drop in the faint hopes of garnering respect) to be the original LP, the 1990s CD issue will have to suffice. In MY sanctuary, the titles themselves are of more importance than the format. I would watch with nail-biting interest while you scan my shelves with one brow raised in mock scrutiny, and occasional "humphs" of approval (each one a silent triumph for me). Cornerstone bands and oft-mentioned 'biggies'? Yep, love them. But peppered throughout are choice slabs such as Faithful Breath, Amon Duul II, Fantasia (now THERE'S an LP I'd love to have), Gong, Crucis, Pollen, Ange, etc. etc.

Psych? Check. Heavy Rock? Check. Jazz Fusion? Double-check. UK pop? Hmmm... I had the Association's "Windy" 45 single as a young chappie, does that count? Never been a Beach Boys guy (put the pitchforks and torches away, it just ain't gonna happen for me), but a Beatles lover through-and-through, if that adds any weight. If it only detracts, pretend I didn't say it.

Come forth, Jymbot, and be my Yoda. I feel as though I've seen you already. Do you frequent the Queen's Head? Please continue using terms such as 'young whippersnapper' - I hear these appraisals less and less these days, and flattery WILL get you everywhere.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Jon Anderson has dentures, but back in the day was a Colgate (w/ tartar control) guy. And Ian Anderson would never shell out for Egyptian cotton. He's thriftier than that.

moecurlythanu
11-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Do you frequent the Queen's Head?

W got inside the Queen's head long ago. It's part of the reason they rarely show her in public anymore. ;)

rapidfirerob
11-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Burlington, Vermont, UVM alumni class of 77.

Progatron
11-25-2012, 01:45 PM
W got inside the Queen's head long ago. It's part of the reason they rarely show her in public anymore. ;)

Zing! :D

Jymbot
11-25-2012, 02:16 PM
"And Ian Anderson would never shell out for Egyptian cotton. He's thriftier than that. " -good one. And likely true.

Well, back from the record show.
Attendance was very good, but most noticeably EVEN LESS young bairns than usual. (And they claim there is a vinyl revival amongst the youth!)
All bald-headed,grey-beard codgers bent over the bins.
If someone would put a spotlight thru there, the reflected light would be blinding.

Usually there is an amplified band, but the sponsor said he could not get one this year because of musician's union guff, so he got forced child labour instead.
I felt really sorry for her.They didnt even put her on the stage, but in a corner. Played an acoustic half-hour set and sung her heart out with absolutely no one paying the least attention. And she was damn good. Makes one wonder how much unrecognized talent is out there. Ashamed to say I didnt even catch her name.

So what I get?
No prog - you never find any you dont have. But there were some good prog buys: I saw Taiphong -Windows for $5, Christian von Eshershiem for $2,.....

I got just 5 lps:
Two rare exploitos on the cheap Custom label: T.Swift & Electric Bag "Are You Experienced" (real glad to get this!)

Also good find was The Projection Co. "Give Me Some Lovin'" exploito (which was double-exploito-ed by being released once again as different band & title!)

Dick Hyman "Man from O.R.G.A.N." (probably his best - spy music which was big back then)

People are not aware of this genre ,so you can still find rare things like this.

Got a trade copy of the first The Hunt lp. $2. Very good Canadian - nothing like their following lps.

Finally, bought this for the amazing coverart and fact that its a perfect UK copy for only $5 : Mr Bloe "Groovin' With Mr Bloe". I dont care for this music,but should be easy to trade off.

Wow! just noticed the cover art is by Alan Aldridge ,the important UK late 60's psych illustrator who did the two Beatles Illustrated Lyrics songbooks. (And a book on whom was just released this month! Its titled "the Man With The Kaleidoscope Eyes".)

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/baggra/Bitco/psych/Alan_Aldridg-1.jpg

Speaking of songbooks, my big regret was leaving behind a copy of Rubber Band "Beatles Songbook" lp. But he was asking $15 and that is too much for me.

Saw a copy of that plain cover, Avalon -Voice of Life lp I brought up in the alternate covers thread. Was priced at $65, so that makes me feel a bit good.

Oh yeah, there were 5 or 6 Jack McDuff titles going for $5 each. Ive never seen them before. These organ jazzbos do not turn up often - and one was a pristine Blue Note. But I didn't buy any cos going by the tracklists, seemed patchy stuff.
Was it McDuff that did "Moongas"? Anyways that one wasnt there.

I think Mogrooves here knows all about this organjazz - what are the McDuffs which are less-filled with Girl From Ipanema and of most interest to progfusionists?

There was a Larry Young lp I never heard of - not Unity & not Lawrence of Newark. I think "Fuel - Spaceball"??

Groove Holmes "Live at Lighthouse" (I hear this is a good one but the tracklist scared me off - even for $5)

McGriff " Something to listen to"

Any of these good?

Oh yes,Progadong: it be "harumph " of derision, not "humph of approval".

Progatron
11-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Oh yes,Progadong: it be "harumph " of derision, not "humph of approval".

I have failed. Back to the drawing board! ;)

Lino
12-04-2012, 11:00 AM
:lol Great stuff fellas.