PDA

View Full Version : Solo Chris Squire

Rickenbacker
11-23-2012, 02:53 PM
So what might be his *next* best album after "Fish Out of Water"? (which I'm enjoying very much at the moment after not hearing it in well over a year) (yeah, I know it's 'Chris'. Can't fix subj. lines in this damn thing)

80s were ok
11-23-2012, 03:23 PM
technically there can't be a "next best" because he only has one true solo album. Having said, that I love Chris Squire's Swiss Choir album. It's listened to all year round, not just during the holidays.

Big Ears
11-23-2012, 03:32 PM
It's a pity the Fish Out of Water lineup did not follow up the album, as it is better than some Yes and spin-off albums. Surely Chris Squire's Swiss Choir is a solo project (not Squire and White)? I did not care for the Conspiracy project.

Rickenbacker
11-23-2012, 03:37 PM
It's a pity the Fish Out of Water lineup did not follow up the album,

That's what I was thinking.

rcarlberg
11-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Every Yes album since CTTE has started out as a Chris Squire solo album, from what I've heard. At least, that's why we haven't gotten FOOWII (pronounced "phooey").

80s were ok
11-23-2012, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=Big It's a pity the Fish Out of Water lineup did not follow up the album, as it is better than some Yes and spin-off albums. Surely Chris Squire's Swiss Choir is a solo project QUOTE]

yes, but officially it's "Chris Squires Swiss Choir". I know it's splitting hairs but officially Squire only has the one solo album "Fish out of Water", which is in my TOP Five all time best albums by anyone. The best release is the recent reissue that came with a DVD. On it is a "Video commentary" where you SEE Chris listening to the entire album through headphones and he comments on it - it's freaking funny as hell. I love it.

Big Ears
11-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973), Relayer (1974) and Going for the One (1977) were not Chris Squire solo albums.

bRETT
11-23-2012, 04:13 PM
yes, but officially it's "Chris Squires Swiss Choir"..

Had to be, else he'd blow the joke!

rcarlberg
11-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Had to be, else he'd blow the joke!He blew something alright.

bondegezou
11-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Every Yes album since CTTE has started out as a Chris Squire solo album, from what I've heard. At least, that's why we haven't gotten FOOWII (pronounced "phooey").

Squire does not appear to have made a major effort to do another solo album until the end of the 1980s. The project he began then, the project that he talked of as a next solo album for so many years, was eventually released as Conspiracy by Squire & Billy Sherwood. His next major attempt at a solo album was after the break-up of The Syn, with most of the material he'd written for that project ending up in Squackett. So, those two albums are probably the closest we've got to further Squire solo albums, apart from the Christmassy Swiss Choir, although you've also got some Yes albums were he's been more to the fore, like Drama.

Actually, I think Drama is the nearest we've ever got to a Fish Out of Water sequel.

What's his best from that? I'd probably go with Conspiracy, some great moments on that, but A Life Within a Day is good too.

Henry

3LockBox
11-23-2012, 06:13 PM
A Life Within a Day is good too.

agreed. still enjoying that one

3LockBox
11-23-2012, 06:16 PM
It's a pity the Fish Out of Water lineup did not follow up the album, as it is better than some Yes and most spin-off albums.

fixed

ZEPPELIN4EVER
11-24-2012, 11:19 AM
Fish out of water is my favorite YES solo next to Anderson's Olias of sunhillow......two great solos's that I consider equal or better than some of Yes's releases....

Lo-Fi Resistance
11-24-2012, 01:10 PM
I liked the second Conspiracy album quite a bit when it came out. The first one had a few standouts (a killer track with Steve Stevens called "Violet Purple Rose"). If I was going to revisit now, I think a really good pop/prog album could be made from the two of them.

Progatron
11-24-2012, 06:59 PM
I heard Chris in interviews at many different points throughout the years say that he was 'about to begin work on another one' but that never seemed to transpire. I think he owed a lot to Andrew Jackman for his role in Fish Out Of Water.

One day I need to dig through my mountain of old bootleg cassettes and find the show from what was billed "The Chris Squire Experiment" - a relatively short-lived band that played one small tour but there was a couple of decent tracks - was that also with Sherwood? I can't remember now, been so long since I listened. I recall it had some early versions of "Open Your Eyes" and perhaps the fan favourite "Man In The Moon" ;)

80s were ok
11-24-2012, 07:32 PM
I heard Chris in interviews at many different points throughout the years say that he was 'about to begin work on another one' but that never seemed to transpire. I think he owed a lot to Andrew Jackman for his role in Fish Out Of Water.

;)pretty sure he mentions it on the "Yesyears" video- funny as hell!

progman1975
11-24-2012, 08:27 PM
I was hoping on the reissue they would have added "Run with the Fox"...Anyway, a fucking "powerful" Album.....

80s were ok
11-24-2012, 08:35 PM
I was hoping on the reissue they would have added "Run with the Fox"...Anyway, a fucking "powerful" Album.....i'm not sure why you would hope this...#1) "Run with the Fox" is from 1980 or '81 and has nothing to do with those sessions and #2) "Run with the Fox" is now pretty widely available on numerous releases including the Swiss Choir album where they took the original track and added the Choir...sounds REALLY nice.

Big Ears
11-25-2012, 04:16 AM
Violet Purple Rose is certainly an interesting track, but the lead vocals are weak. Squire and Sherwood harmonise well, but perhaps Squire should have sung lead - although he seems to have a strong aversion, for some reason.

The original Run With the Fox is not that easy to find.

bondegezou
11-25-2012, 04:21 AM

One day I need to dig through my mountain of old bootleg cassettes and find the show from what was billed "The Chris Squire Experiment" - a relatively short-lived band that played one small tour but there was a couple of decent tracks - was that also with Sherwood? I can't remember now, been so long since I listened. I recall it had some early versions of "Open Your Eyes" and perhaps the fan favourite "Man In The Moon" ;)

Squire is very open that FOoW owes a lot to Jackman.

Most of the Squire interview quotes where he talks about doing another solo album are either in the period from about 1990 onwards when he was working on what became Conspiracy or are more recent and refer to the post-Syn writing sessions that ended up in Squackett. At other times in between those periods, Squire answered questions about a solo album differently.

Indeed, Conspiracy began as The Chris Squire Experiment. Yes, that was always with Sherwood. They toured in 1992 with Squire, Sherwood, White, Jimmy Haun and Steve Porcaro, with a set list typically of "Open Your Eyes", "The Lonesome Trail", "You're the Reason", "One World Going Round", "Days of Wonder", "Follow Our Dreams". Most of that ended up on Conspiracy 8 years later. One show is currently on Dime

Henry

bondegezou
11-25-2012, 04:25 AM
Violet Purple Rose is certainly an interesting track, but the lead vocals are weak. Squire and Sherwood harmonise well, but perhaps Squire should have sung lead - although he seems to have a strong aversion, for some reason.

Most of Conspiracy was from the Squire/Sherwood collaboration, originally called The Chris Squire Experiment, but "Violet Purple Rose" stands out. This comes from early 1990s sessions by Squire, Steve Stevens and Michael Bland. Sherwood later added overdubs to the piece for its inclusion on the album.

The original Run With the Fox is not that easy to find.

The original is on YesYears. A version with additional choral overdubs is on Swiss Choir. The instrumental b-side, "Return of the Fox", has never been re-released.

Henry

Gravedigger
11-25-2012, 05:38 AM
While we've got you here, Henry, do you know the line-up that recorded "Return Of The Fox"?
I seem to remember Dave Lawson (Greenslade) being involved on keyboards.

Thanks in advance.

bondegezou
11-25-2012, 06:28 AM
While we've got you here, Henry, do you know the line-up that recorded "Return Of The Fox"?
I seem to remember Dave Lawson (Greenslade) being involved on keyboards.

Yes. AIUI, it was Squire, White, Lawson and Nikki Squire (backing vocals) + additional lyrics by Pete Sinfield.

Henry

Lo-Fi Resistance
11-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Most of Conspiracy was from the Squire/Sherwood collaboration, originally called The Chris Squire Experiment, but "Violet Purple Rose" stands out. This comes from early 1990s sessions by Squire, Steve Stevens and Michael Bland. Sherwood later added overdubs to the piece for its inclusion on the album.

The first Conspiracy had a more demo-like production to my ears. Were some of the finals on there actually recorded in the early '90s as well?

bondegezou
11-25-2012, 03:26 PM
The first Conspiracy had a more demo-like production to my ears. Were some of the finals on there actually recorded in the early '90s as well?

The whole album was going to be released in about 1997 under the name Chemistry (and as by The Chris Squire Experiment) and I don't think much happened between then and the final version. Much of the album was recorded earlier than that, so, yes, I would have thought parts were recorded in the early '90s.

Henry

Lo-Fi Resistance
11-25-2012, 03:58 PM
The whole album was going to be released in about 1997 under the name Chemistry (and as by The Chris Squire Experiment) and I don't think much happened between then and the final version. Much of the album was recorded earlier than that, so, yes, I would have thought parts were recorded in the early '90s.

Henry

Thanks for the info!

tom unbound
11-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Squire /Sherwood stuff gets interesting...not the same old, same old stuff....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzG-Xl-ANDc

bondegezou
11-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Squire /Sherwood stuff gets interesting...not the same old, same old stuff....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzG-Xl-ANDc

It's a nice cover, but the umpteenth cover song done for Cleopatra Records seems like the same old same old to me!

Henry

tom unbound
11-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Yeah, it's only a cover song, piss on it.

with which I agree, is that everyone makes judgements on albums before they hear them. It would be impossible to listen to every new release, so you have to make choices which releases to consider, to investigate.

Progatron
11-26-2012, 09:29 AM
I actually think those two Conspiracy albums are quite good. In typical Sherwood style, they are polished and have a real pop sensibility to the songwriting but overall I think most of the songs are quite effective and I rather enjoy them when I'm in the mood for something a little less weighty. Not to mention I always love hearing Squire's voice. Squackett is a fun one too.

Sean
11-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Squire is very open that FOoW owes a lot to Jackman.
Indeed, Conspiracy began as The Chris Squire Experiment. Yes, that was always with Sherwood. They toured in 1992 with Squire, Sherwood, White, Jimmy Haun and Steve Porcaro, with a set list typically of "Open Your Eyes", "The Lonesome Trail", "You're the Reason", "One World Going Round", "Days of Wonder", "Follow Our Dreams". Most of that ended up on Conspiracy 8 years later. One show is currently on Dime
Henry

I saw one of those shows. It was about as musically satisfying as you would expect. I think we all really wished he'd play some FOOW or Yes tunes, but all we got was a glimpse at where Yes would head in the mid 90s.

tarotmusic
11-27-2012, 07:47 PM
http://youtu.be/ZSqkn7x67iE

One of my faves

Sean
11-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Wish they played it when I saw them!

timmy
05-24-2015, 01:55 AM
I finally picked up the remastered Fish Out Of Water this week. It's definitely an upgrade to my old Japanese CD pressing which sounds a bit muddy compared to this update. The clarity of this new remaster has revealed some phrases I hadn't properly picked up on previously. Forgot just how cool this album was... and still is! If you're on the fence about picking it up - go for it.

Get well, Chris.

Rand Kelly
05-24-2015, 03:19 AM
I finally picked up the remastered Fish Out Of Water this week. It's definitely an upgrade to my old Japanese CD pressing which sounds a bit muddy compared to this update. The clarity of this new remaster has revealed some phrases I hadn't properly picked up on previously. Forgot just how cool this album was... and still is! If you're on the fence about picking it up - go for it.

Get well, Chris.

I get the very opposite reaction. To me,the remaster is way too hot to enjoy comfortably. Otoh,my Jap. Atlantic cd sounds sweet as can be.

Progatron
05-24-2015, 07:26 AM

Get well, Chris.

And it comes with a really enjoyable interview with Jon Kirkman, as well as a full-album commentary by Chris. Both of these revealed some interesting info about the album. This and Acolyte are still my two favourite solo albums by any member of the "Big Five/Seven/Whatever".

ssully
05-24-2015, 11:40 AM

Get well, Chris.

They just compressed it dynamically and jacked up the treble.

It's good for the videos and CS's track by track commentary (how many times does he say..'Bill Bruford...good drummer'? ;>) But for audio I'd stick with the older CD. And hope for the Steven Wilson stereo/surround remix + flat transfer bonus version

ItalProgRules
05-26-2015, 10:27 AM
With every song seemingly driven by the bass and written around bass riffs, DRAMA does sort of stand up as a second Squire solo album.

bondegezou
05-26-2015, 11:35 AM
With every song seemingly driven by the bass and written around bass riffs, DRAMA does sort of stand up as a second Squire solo album.

Yes, in many ways, Drama is the obvious follow-up to Fish Out of Water.

"Does It Really Happen?", "Tempus Fugit" and "Run Through the Light" seem to have been mainly written by Squire (or Squire/White), while "Into the Lens" and "White Car" were Buggles songs. Which leaves "Machine Messiah", which at core is another Buggles song, but with a lot of work from everyone to expand and arrange it.

Henry

rich
11-30-2019, 01:25 PM
So i took the original Conspiracy LP/CD for a spin today and noticed something new. I've heard the LP many times before but never took note of the liner notes. The booklet shows 10 songs but there are 13 on the cd? Very bizarre. Looked on a few websites and could not find an explanation... does anyone know the story behind the last 3 tracks... mainly why they are not listed in the booklet. The tracks for reference are Wish I knew, Man in the Moon and Say Goodbye.

A shame Chris did not have more solo material. I always loved his voice and Fish Out of Water in particular... The Squackett LP is brilliant to these ears. I wished Steve might have had some unreleased tunes from his work with Chris on that one!

bondegezou
11-30-2019, 01:54 PM
So i took the original Conspiracy LP/CD for a spin today and noticed something new. I've heard the LP many times before but never took note of the liner notes. The booklet shows 10 songs but there are 13 on the cd? Very bizarre. Looked on a few websites and could not find an explanation... does anyone know the story behind the last 3 tracks... mainly why they are not listed in the booklet. The tracks for reference are Wish I knew, Man in the Moon and Say Goodbye.

All three songs had been previously released (in somewhat different versions), so I think they didn't want to advertise the album as having 13 tracks and then have people disappointed they already had 3 of them.

Henry

calyx
11-30-2019, 03:47 PM
Billy mentions the 'ghost tracks' in the interview we did in 2000 which is hosted on Henry's website -
http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/iv/bsinterview.htm

Basically, the implication is that the versions on "Open Your Eyes" were originally made for the Conspiracy project but were re-purposed for Yes rather than actually re-made from scratch by Yes (whatever that meant at the time - OYE was a Squire-Sherwood-led project anyway).

bondegezou
11-30-2019, 04:18 PM
Billy mentions the 'ghost tracks' in the interview we did in 2000 which is hosted on Henry's website -
http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/iv/bsinterview.htm

Basically, the implication is that the versions on "Open Your Eyes" were originally made for the Conspiracy project but were re-purposed for Yes rather than actually re-made from scratch by Yes (whatever that meant at the time - OYE was a Squire-Sherwood-led project anyway).

I presume that some recording was done for the versions of these tracks on Open Your Eyes, not least Anderson's vocals, but many parts were just carried forward (Porcaro's keyboards on "OYE" were all from the Chris Squire Experiment sessions).

Henry

rcarlberg
11-30-2019, 04:41 PM
https://img.discogs.com/LMB7VLUh91M8HR8RwL8WxJddRKY=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():qualit y(40)/discogs-images/R-3679869-1340088483-5033.jpeg.jpg

calyx
11-30-2019, 06:25 PM
^^^Best pun ever.

fiberman
12-01-2019, 11:12 PM
https://img.discogs.com/LMB7VLUh91M8HR8RwL8WxJddRKY=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():qualit y(40)/discogs-images/R-3679869-1340088483-5033.jpeg.jpg

This is (IMO) an excellent album, and a good pun also.

rich
12-02-2019, 01:35 AM
This is (IMO) an excellent album, and a good pun also.

I could not agree more. Superb recording.

per anporth
12-02-2019, 10:22 AM
^^^Best pun ever.

Pedant's corner, entry #472:

Technically, this is not a pun, but a "spoonerism" - ie when the initial sounds of two words are inverted. The name derives from the Reverend William Archibald Spooner (1844–1930), Warden of New College, Oxford, who was, apparently, prone to inadvertantly spoonerising. The best spoonerisms, however, are those that, in some way or another, allude to an alternative truth about a situation (eg it is kisstomary to cuss the bride) - & Swiss Choir does just this!

Pedant's corner, entry #472, Appendix 1: In order to make this spoonerism "work", one has to presume "rhotacism" - ie the inability to pronounce the <r> sound, & replacing it with a <w> (as with Elmer Fudd, chasing the wabbit, Buggs Bunny). Thinking back to interviews I've heard with Squire, I don't recall him having any problems with his <r>s (so to speak!!) - I wonder if there's a further "in joke" directed at another member of the Yes entourage here...)

calyx
12-02-2019, 03:25 PM
I stand corrected. I tend to equate spoonerisms to their supposed French equivalent, "contrepèteries", which are almost always sexual in nature. So whenever a wordplay isn't sexual, "pun" comes to my French mind.

bondegezou
12-02-2019, 03:36 PM
I stand corrected. I tend to equate spoonerisms to their supposed French equivalent, "contrepèteries", which are almost always sexual in nature. So whenever a wordplay isn't sexual, "pun" comes to my French mind.

I have learnt much here.

May I also suggest the catch-all English term "wordplay"? ('Jeu de mots', I guess?)

Henry

saucyjackstl
12-02-2019, 03:39 PM
I actually think those two Conspiracy albums are quite good. In typical Sherwood style, they are polished and have a real pop sensibility to the songwriting but overall I think most of the songs are quite effective and I rather enjoy them when I'm in the mood for something a little less weighty. Not to mention I always love hearing Squire's voice. Squackett is a fun one too.

The playing is great. Could not handle the singing. I never play it.

grego
12-02-2019, 03:59 PM
Accepting the suggested criteria, his first solo album must be Time & A Word.

per anporth
12-02-2019, 04:43 PM

I didn't know of contrepèteries - I'm not sure if there's a direct English equivalent... However, on reading Wikipedia, I discover that Rabelais was at the source of these matters - which is pleasing, given a certain proximity to John Kelman, in his review of the Gargantuan Gentle Giant box set.

The Twickerman
12-04-2019, 06:47 AM
Pedant's corner, entry #472:

Technically, this is not a pun, but a "spoonerism" - ie when the initial sounds of two words are inverted. The name derives from the Reverend William Archibald Spooner (1844–1930), Warden of New College, Oxford, who was, apparently, prone to inadvertantly spoonerising. The best spoonerisms, however, are those that, in some way or another, allude to an alternative truth about a situation (eg it is kisstomary to cuss the bride) - & Swiss Choir does just this!

Pedant's corner, entry #472, Appendix 1: In order to make this spoonerism "work", one has to presume "rhotacism" - ie the inability to pronounce the <r> sound, & replacing it with a <w> (as with Elmer Fudd, chasing the wabbit, Buggs Bunny). Thinking back to interviews I've heard with Squire, I don't recall him having any problems with his <r>s (so to speak!!) - I wonder if there's a further "in joke" directed at another member of the Yes entourage here...)

But this isn't a spoonerism. At least not in it's purest sense. That would be (phonetically) Skwiss Crier. or Skwiss Kwier, following the rhotacism point (i.e. it's an imperfect spoonerism because of the inconvenient "k" sound in Squire).

So it's therefore just a play on words. No?

Regarding the rhotacism point - I suspect you read too much into it. It was surely just a pun/(near-)spoonerism on his name, too tempting for Chris to resist. But who knows!

per anporth
12-04-2019, 11:20 AM
:)

I would prefer an imperfect spoonerism to a "mere" play on words - but that's all about the atmosphere in pedants' corner...

calyx
12-04-2019, 11:30 AM
Perhaps there is a country called Squitzerland where we could turn this mere pun into a proper spoonerism ?

Frankh
12-05-2019, 01:00 AM
Would it be improper here to wish you all a Nappy You Hear?

Or to warn you to beware of the bowers that pee?

I suspect it would.

The Twickerman
12-05-2019, 10:21 AM
:)

I would prefer an imperfect spoonerism to a "mere" play on words - but that's all about the atmosphere in pedants' corner...

Speaking of spoonerisms, I was disappointed that they didn't call the Squackett album "For Hire". :lol

Not as disappointed as I was when I heard it though. :O

moecurlythanu
12-05-2019, 05:17 PM
I was disappointed that they didn't call the Squackett album "For Hire". :lol

That name Squackett just sounds like an angry duck to me.

Mister Triscuits
12-05-2019, 05:55 PM
Speaking of spoonerisms, I was disappointed that they didn't call the Squackett album "For Hire".

Before I got your point I thought you meant it was a whore fire.

Gizmotron
12-05-2019, 06:04 PM
Oh, there was a point to that post?

rcarlberg
12-05-2019, 08:08 PM
Technically, this is not a pun, but a "spoonerism" - ie when the initial sounds of two words are inverted.

Kind of like "Cunning Stunts"? Besides, I think spoonerisms are a subset of the set known as "puns." A good pun is its own reword.

rcarlberg
12-05-2019, 08:11 PM
Accepting the suggested criteria, his first solo album must be Time & A Word...

[Almost] Every Yes album ... has started out as a Chris Squire solo album, from what I've heard.

Adinfinitum
12-07-2019, 01:02 AM
Are there any demos of Parallels that were done for Fish Out of Watef? I read that Parallels was going to be on FOOW or at least was written during that time priot to GFTO.

bondegezou
12-07-2019, 05:46 AM
Are there any demos of Parallels that were done for Fish Out of Watef? I read that Parallels was going to be on FOOW or at least was written during that time priot to GFTO.

Not that we know of.

Henry

calyx
12-07-2019, 06:55 PM

What we do have, and it's still puzzling, is a demo version of "Turn Of The Century" (a song that originated with Alan White, with no known involvement of Squire in the writing) on the GftO reissue that has a section of "Silently Falling" in it, so in all likelihood dates from 1974 rather than 1976 (as it seems unlikely they would have considered using a section of a released solo Squire song in a Yes piece). Maybe "Parallels" was written around that time, but wasn't finished by the time FooW was recorded.

auxfnx
12-08-2019, 06:12 PM
This thread inspired me to put this together, a bit of a showcase of Chris 'solo' after Fish out of Water! Conspiracy & side projects.
Some edits and mixes, Yes/XYZ 'Satellites/Telephone Secrets', Conspiracy/Yes 'Wish I Knew/Open Your Eyes'! And other bits I was playing around with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xegWNrXZn3Q