View Full Version : Steve Howe: Doubt Over Future Yes Albums

man2god
11-23-2012, 09:38 AM
http://www.prog-sphere.com/2012/11/23/steve-howe-doubt-over-future-yes-albums/

Steve Howe: Doubt Over Future Yes Albums

November 23, 2012 by Nikola Savić
Filed under News

Leave a comment

Yes guitarist Steve Howe doesn’t know whether the band will record any more albums – because he’s not sure if fans want to hear new music.

They released Fly From Here in 2011, but Howe admits that when it comes to thinking about a follow-up, “it’s something that I kind of fight myself about.”

He tells the Dallas Observer: “You take bands like Aerosmith and the Rolling Stones – bands bigger than anything I’ve been in. They make new records and nobody cares. The people want to hear Satisfaction.

“I think The Who had one of the most disappointing results when they put out that last album. It was practically ignored – and they are The Who.

“That goes with Yes as well – people want to hear Close To The Edge. We love it too. We love the new music but it doesn’t have the familiarity.”

Howe also believes times have changed for the band and the way it operates, not least because his creative partnership with former singer Jon Anderson has ended.

“If we were to come out with something as good as Close To The Edge, that would be a major achievement,” the guitarist reflects. “The collaboration on those early records between Jon Anderson and I was amazing. There was a remarkable sense of teamwork. I don’t know how we did it back then – it doesn’t work the same way now.”

He’s also unsure whether Yes and Asia will team up for another tour together. “It wasn’t an easy thing to pull off,” he reports. “There were some complications, but, musically, it was a successful tour.

“My wife was not very happy when I decided to do those tours – she thought I was taking on too much. She thought it was going to drive me into the ground.

“But I’m very organised. The max time I was on stage with Yes was two and a half hours. I told my wife it wasn’t any different dividing that time up between two bands. Instead of having an interval and coming back with the same band, I was having an interval and coming back with a different band.

“It helped her understand what I was doing, and it helped me understand that I wasn’t working any longer.”

bondegezou
11-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Another example of the poor state of online music journalism, if you ask me! That article is simply taking quotes from this new interview, http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2012/11/asias_steve_howe_its_all_about.php , which puts things in slightly more context.

While Howe is expressing a sentiment, as far as I know, Yes are, nevertheless, actively working towards recording a new studio album in 2013. Squire/Davison/White have been particularly busy writing material.

Henry

ItalProgRules
11-23-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm really hoping they do an album with Jon Davison on vocals, so here's hoping this isn't true.

man2god
11-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Wow, the article I posted is a hack job, wish I knew about the original source, I never would have posted the article here.

As far as I care, and because the article was misleading, I wouldn't mind at all if this thread is pulled/closed.

Ridge
11-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks a million for the link to the proper interview Henry. It does put things into context.

Sean
11-23-2012, 11:16 AM
"Perhaps we can rustle you up some barbecue."

LOL!

Squids
11-23-2012, 12:43 PM
The big difference to me is whether they want to make a YES record or they want to make their latest music, whatever that may be, and just called it "YES". They have invented what a "YES" record is time and time again (woops wrong band haha). So if "Close To The Edge" is the example of a GREAT Yes record then that's the 'standard' of quality to go for if they want to make another "GREAT" Yes record. If they don't know how they did it then that could be a problem getting there. This is where outside help comes in handy. An objective point of view. I believe another great Yes record could be made. But, I don't think any of them really want to do that. They'd rather make the record they want to make and call it Yes regardless. Fair enough. I don't blame them for doing that. It's their right (whoever has control of the band name that is). But, it would be interesting if some of these 60's & 70's artists WERE to make an album as good as their iconic classics if that would get noticed or ignored just the same... maybe it wouldn't make a difference! Then I suppose it really doesn't matter. But, if more people bought the last Who album because it was 'up there' with "Who's Next" that would be interesting to see. Too bad we can't see if that would be the case as none of these bands are making records as good as they used to. I like Fly From Here mind you but it's not Going for the One or Close To The Edge... it's not Drama either. My opinion of course.

polmico
11-23-2012, 01:03 PM
A Grounding in Numbers is as good as anything VdGG did in the 70s.

Rickenbacker
11-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Interesting that Howe even thinks this. Gives us a bit of insight as to how the band perceives the fans.

meimjustalawnmower
11-23-2012, 01:25 PM
But, if more people bought the last Who album because it was 'up there' with "Who's Next" that would be interesting to see. Too bad we can't see if that would be the case as none of these bands are making records as good as they used to.

There's a lot more to it than that. Endless Wire was 1000 times better than anything The Who did after 1978 (and I would argue even earlier) with possibly the exception of some of Pete's solo stuff. You have to take into account the decrease of brick and mortars, radio, the godawful focus of the recording industry, and all kinds of other stuff. The average band has maybe only one great song, much less an album or two. We're too spoiled, and now they are too. So now Howe says that they can't recapture the old magic? Wow. Color me surprised. :roll

man2god
11-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Yes needs to talk Eddy Offord out of retirement to produce the next (last?) Yes album. The best songs/albums Yes did were when he co-produced and engineered for them. If they can't work with Anderson anymore, Offord is the person to bring back into the fold. IMO.

bRETT
11-23-2012, 01:45 PM
The question for me is why Howe releases plenty of music as a solo artist, largely for the sake of being a musician, and knowing that it won't sell platinum. Don't understand why he thinks Yes should be held to a different standard, that they shouldn't make an album unless it can compete with the ones that really sold. For that matter Asia probably guessed that their third reunion album would do about as well as the two previous ones, yet they went for it-- made an album that fans liked, probably turned a modest profit, and reminded the punters they were still around. Why should Yes be any different?

Unless the answer is that Yes simply dont enjoy making music together, which I wouldn't think is the case with this unusually harmonious lineup.

AncientChord
11-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Lack of leadership and direction is the problem with YES. They need the dictator back...yup...Jon Anderson is who I'm talking about! Jon always guided the band in the RIGHT direction, and the fruits of his labor always paid off. Their energy batteries have been worn out for quite some time now, and they've become a sad shadow of their former selves. I NEVER EVER thought that the band would stoop so low since the demise of Anderson/Wakeman. Fly From Here was a sad and desperate attempt to bring the band back, using an old theme surrounded by soulless, spiritless and lack-luster lyrics. I won't argue with those that disagree, but IMO to me YES will never be YES without Jon.

Paulrus
11-23-2012, 02:34 PM
The best songs/albums Yes did were when (Eddie Offord) co-produced and engineered for them.
Guess what? They would have been the best songs/albums no matter *who* was producing them.

I do agree that without Jon on the writing team the chances of producing another CTTE or "Awaken" are close to nil. This is because 1) Jon was responsible for most of the cosmic flights of fancy in the arrangements, and 2) IMO he was responsible for most of the unpredictable edginess in the music. Even if he wasn't personally responsible for the magic on record, it was his guiding spirit that gave the others tacit permission to push beyond their comfort zones. Everything they've done without him has usually been technically solid and harmonically interesting, but it's never matched the classic stuff in terms of inventiveness.

By the same token, Jon's tastes in music have evolved to where his interest in rock has dropped to almost zero while his proclivity for airy-fairy, new age fluff has skyrocketed. In the good old days the two were much more balanced in his writing. Unfortunately the rest of Yes seem to have little interest in the kind of music Jon writes these days, and he's no longer content with being a mere co-equal contributor. My read is that the process of making music with the other guys is so painful and the rewards so small that unless Jon can have creative control it's just not worth it to be involved.

This is all my read on the situation. FWIW.

meimjustalawnmower
11-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Your move...

http://www.happenchance.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/2527988882_0c3bacfc2c_o-1024x706.jpg

Moonchild_deleted
11-23-2012, 03:24 PM
I miss Jon. Yes died when he left. Fly From Here is god-awful pap. i don’t even consider it a ‘yes’ album, just sub-par Asia/Buggles sounding crap.

bondegezou
11-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Yes needs to talk Eddy Offord out of retirement to produce the next (last?) Yes album. The best songs/albums Yes did were when he co-produced and engineered for them. If they can't work with Anderson anymore, Offord is the person to bring back into the fold. IMO.

Offord did recently come out of retirement to produce a (non-prog) band called The Midnight Moan. I don't think Offord producing is going to change Yes's chances of making a great album much.

Wow, the article I posted is a hack job, wish I knew about the original source, I never would have posted the article here.

It's all too common nowadays. Some sites feel they have to generate new blog posts all the time and one way to do that is to turn someone else's interview into an article.

Henry

bondegezou
11-23-2012, 04:22 PM
The question for me is why Howe releases plenty of music as a solo artist, largely for the sake of being a musician, and knowing that it won't sell platinum. Don't understand why he thinks Yes should be held to a different standard, that they shouldn't make an album unless it can compete with the ones that really sold. For that matter Asia probably guessed that their third reunion album would do about as well as the two previous ones, yet they went for it-- made an album that fans liked, probably turned a modest profit, and reminded the punters they were still around. Why should Yes be any different?

Unless the answer is that Yes simply dont enjoy making music together, which I wouldn't think is the case with this unusually harmonious lineup.

Well, Yes are, as far as I know, making music together and are planning an album for 2013. They seem to be getting on better with each other than they have for years, although I think that means a professional relationship rather than being bosom buddies. I think you have to understand Howe's comments in that context. He seems to me to be expressing frustration at how many fans react to an old band's new album. I don't think that's simply about sales either (and Fly from Here sold well for a modern prog album).

Henry

NotTheMama
11-24-2012, 12:48 PM
You gotta love this:

"I'm not one of those guitarists that wants to be noodling all of the time. Even with Yes, there were places where I wasn't even playing."

Scott Bails
11-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Lack of leadership and direction is the problem with YES. They need the dictator back...yup...Jon Anderson is who I'm talking about! Jon always guided the band in the RIGHT direction, and the fruits of his labor always paid off. Their energy batteries have been worn out for quite some time now, and they've become a sad shadow of their former selves. I NEVER EVER thought that the band would stoop so low since the demise of Anderson/Wakeman. Fly From Here was a sad and desperate attempt to bring the band back, using an old theme surrounded by soulless, spiritless and lack-luster lyrics. I won't argue with those that disagree, but IMO to me YES will never be YES without Jon.

Right, right. Because Union and Open Your Eyes were masterpieces!!!! :roll

They're MUCH better off without Anderson. Let both factions do their own thing - they're both better for it.

Frumious B
11-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Said it before, but they all need to stop dicking around, Jon Anderson included, and think about their legacy and the profound debt that they owe each other for the lives they have been so fortunate to lead.

Scott Bails
11-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Very wishful thinking, Frumious. They're all too ego-driven and self-centered to ever consider any "personal debt that they owe each other for the lives they have been so fortunate to lead. "

Frumious B
11-24-2012, 10:25 PM
I can't generate much in the way of enthusiasm for the prospect of yet another "one and done" Yes reboot with the second replacement singer in four years.

Scott Bails
11-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Can't say I'm surprised.

But, y'know, some of us like to keep an open mind and actually hear it before we dismiss anything.

Crazy thought, I know.

meimjustalawnmower
11-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Right, right. Because Union and Open Your Eyes were masterpieces!!!! :roll

:rofl

Frumious B
11-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Can't say I'm surprised.

But, y'know, some of us like to keep an open mind and actually hear it before we dismiss anything.

Crazy thought, I know.

Everybody makes judgements and intuitive guesses about music they haven't heard, positive and negative. If we didn't then we'd never catch up on new releases.

tom unbound
11-24-2012, 11:25 PM
If we didn't then we'd never catch up on new releases

WTF ?????????????????????????

bondegezou
11-25-2012, 04:30 AM
WTF ?????????????????????????

Frum B's point, with which I agree, is that everyone makes judgements on albums before they hear them. It would be impossible to listen to every new release, so you have to make choices which releases to consider, to investigate.

Henry

Smörgåsbord
11-25-2012, 06:41 AM
To my conservative ears Fly From Here was better than anything from the 80s, 90s and 00s.

davef
11-25-2012, 08:35 AM
There comes a time when one needs to just give it up.They had their time in the sun.Maybe it's reached that time."Fly From Here",for me,is a good example of just that.It's just not a YES album.There is no real creative direction on the album.Sure there's a good bit here and there but overall a real let down for me.I personally think it's time for YES to hang it up.I really have no further interest.

polmico
11-25-2012, 09:22 AM
There comes a time when one needs to just give it up.They had their time in the sun.Maybe it's reached that time."Fly From Here",for me,is a good example of just that.It's just not a YES album.There is no real creative direction on the album.Sure there's a good bit here and there but overall a real let down for me.I personally think it's time for YES to hang it up.I really have no further interest.

But there are people who do have a further interest in the band, including (it would appear) the people in the band. It's not secret that I dislike Fly from Here. I guess where you say that you personally would like the band to hang it up, I would say that I personally don't care what the band does.

I tried to express this earlier. I love the last VdGG album, but if they're done, they're done. Power to Believe is one of my favorite Crimson albums, but ff Crimson is done, then they're done. It's not my right as a fan to demand something from these artists, to hang on or to quit.

With that said, even though I didn't like the last Yes record, I welcome another one. If they're going to make one, I'll give it a chance. And if they're done, then they're done.

Frumious B
11-25-2012, 09:56 AM
But there are people who do have a further interest in the band, including (it would appear) the people in the band. It's not secret that I dislike Fly from Here. I guess where you say that you personally would like the band to hang it up, I would say that I personally don't care what the band does.

I tried to express this earlier. I love the last VdGG album, but if they're done, they're done. Power to Believe is one of my favorite Crimson albums, but ff Crimson is done, then they're done. It's not my right as a fan to demand something from these artists, to hang on or to quit.

With that said, even though I didn't like the last Yes record, I welcome another one. If they're going to make one, I'll give it a chance. And if they're done, then they're done.

To me Fly From Here isn't a bad album, but it's not a particularly great album either. People can quibble about this song or that one, the use of older Horn/Downes material over something newer, the drums not being mixed forward enough and other tiny details, but I'd say the most glaring weakness is a lack of soul and a lack of the sort of emotional touchstones that pull me into Yes music. The only track on the album that really hits me in the gut and moves me on that level is "Sad Night At The Airfield". Much of the rest of the disc comes off as sort of shallow, surfacey and inconsistent.

A lot seems to be getting pinned on Jon Davison doing much of the writing for the next album, but I wonder if Davison actually has anything original and compelling to say as a songwriter that really speaks to me in a bold, exciting, heartfelt, passionate way and, if he does, is it really something that can be given flower in the context of a Yes album where the expectations are likely to be for him to wear an "Andersonesque" cap as much as possible. That's a pretty intimidating set of cement shoes to strap on prior to going for a swim.

TerrellMiller
11-25-2012, 10:16 AM
The big difference to me is whether they want to make a YES record or they want to make their latest music, whatever that may be, and just called it "YES". They have invented what a "YES" record is time and time again (woops wrong band haha). So if "Close To The Edge" is the example of a GREAT Yes record then that's the 'standard' of quality to go for if they want to make another "GREAT" Yes record. If they don't know how they did it then that could be a problem getting there. This is where outside help comes in handy. An objective point of view. I believe another great Yes record could be made. But, I don't think any of them really want to do that. They'd rather make the record they want to make and call it Yes regardless. Fair enough. I don't blame them for doing that. It's their right (whoever has control of the band name that is). But, it would be interesting if some of these 60's & 70's artists WERE to make an album as good as their iconic classics if that would get noticed or ignored just the same... maybe it wouldn't make a difference! Then I suppose it really doesn't matter. But, if more people bought the last Who album because it was 'up there' with "Who's Next" that would be interesting to see. Too bad we can't see if that would be the case as none of these bands are making records as good as they used to. I like Fly From Here mind you but it's not Going for the One or Close To The Edge... it's not Drama either. My opinion of course.

Dave, we're kind of veering dangerously close to the "What is Prog?" meme here. They recorded CttE when they were in their twenties. Lots of water under the bridge and lots of life experiences they have now that they didn't have then. There's also the nontrivial matter of chops, and age-related degradation thereof. Steve and Alan particularly don't seem to be able to play as fast or as intensely now as they did in teh day.

It's not fair to expect artists to keep churning out the same sort of music, over and over, as they made at any given point in time. Beethoven didn't write the same music in his late 50s as he did in his early 20s. Neither did Miles Davis. Why should a prog-rock artist be held to a different standard?

TerrellMiller
11-25-2012, 10:20 AM

you remember Steve's quote in the YesYears video where he's talking about how people would tell the band "X should write songs with Y, like they did before", and how that's teh death of creativity?

That's what you're suggesting. Eddie Offord isn't the same person he was in teh mid 1970s. Neither are the guys in Yes. They were able to reconnect with Trevor Horn and Geoff Downes and create a very enjoyable album, but that's no guarantee that the same magic would happen (or even be possible) with any of their other producers or former bandmates.

man2god
11-25-2012, 10:40 AM
^ Steve Howe said that over 20 years ago in Yesyears! Things change, people change, attitudes change. If everyone is willing in the band, why not work with a guy like Eddy Offord? I made a suggestion, which is just my opinion, and not a demand.

Frumious B
11-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Also, does anyone find it strange that Howe would opt to cite a Who album that came out six years ago in lieu of delving more directly into his reaction to his own band's album that just came out last year, the pitfalls he feels were encountered in making it and the fan reaction to it? It seems to me that if Howe were personally happy with the outcome of Fly From Here that he'd be more bullish on the prospect of doing another one.

He talks about the expectations game of measuring up to the classic albums, but my thinking is that the very best way to diffuse those expectations is to not even try to meet them. Let it all hang out and don't be afraid of sounding older. I think there is probably more pressure on the band to "sound like old Yes" with Davison singing than there would be with Anderson singing. With Anderson they would have the instant credibility and freedom to say "F*ck it." and do something mature, powerful and different as Yes in the 2010s. They shouldn't be asking whether a song sounds like this era of Yes or that era of Yes. The ONLY question they should be asking is "Is this song true?" and if it isn't then you leave it and if it is then you take it up.

Dan Roth
11-25-2012, 12:04 PM

To me Fly From Here isn't a bad album, but it's not a particularly great album either.

I could very easily substitute the "Open Your Eyes" album in both of these statements. In fact, I would contend that FFH has more creative direction than OYE. Were folks calling on the band to retire after that album?

ANGLADOTEN
11-25-2012, 01:43 PM
STEVE HOWE has always been articulate about his music career and YES.' I felt that FLY FROM HERE could be considered some type of "on ramp attempt " to perhaps A MORE IMPORTANT next YES album. I say important,meaning important to the YES fans who value progressive rock as a genre. Steve was worried about noteriety, the value of recording another YES album- if they were able to infuse a higher level of music intensity akin to RELAYER, or CTTE, the album's merit would sell itself. The best advertising is word of mouth or, PROGRESSIVE EAR(S)! If YES got that PERPETUAL CHANGE mantra going-really pushed those boundaries like before, it wouldn't be a new CTTE; it COULD be just a new GREAT YES album. I really think they have another great album in their collective musical minds. If it never comes out, then there are 200 other progressive bands to check on!

Rufus
11-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Bit off topic but the editor of The Sunday Express has wrote a column today about reunions ,in particular Status Quo being the latest. Said he worked as a music journalist in his younger days. Said he followed Yes on their Canadian tour in the 90's and the band hated each other . Only Wakeman socializing after gigs . Doubt if the chemistry is there any more to write a classic ?

bRETT
11-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Bit off topic but the editor of The Sunday Express has wrote a column today about reunions ,in particular Status Quo being the latest.

I thought Status Quo never broke up?

Rufus
11-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Re:they recently reformed the classic line up for a tour
sold out first day of sales !

bondegezou
11-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Said he followed Yes on their Canadian tour in the 90's and the band hated each other . Only Wakeman socializing after gigs . Doubt if the chemistry is there any more to write a classic ?

It's at http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/360458/Rock-band-reunions-are-no-different-to-school-reunions

I quote, "I toured Canada with a re-formed Yes a few years back and they obviously couldn’t stand the sight of each other." So can't be the late 1990s as Wakeman wasn't back: seems he's talking about the early 2000s. The band indeed couldn't stand each other then, with particular tension between Squire and Anderson and between Howe and Anderson. Yes in 2012 is in a different situation: those tensions are now outside the band, not inside. I don't think Howe, Squire, White, Downes and Davison are bosom buddies, but they get on way better than Yes did in 2003/4. Squire and White have long been close and Squire appears to have struck up a real friendship with Davison.

What chemistry you need to write a classic song, I'm not certain. Yes fought like tooth and claw while making their great albums, and look at The Beatles during the making of The White Album! Great music can come from a band of brothers, and from a band who aren't talking to each other.

Henry

bondegezou
11-25-2012, 05:59 PM
To me Fly From Here isn't a bad album, but it's not a particularly great album either. People can quibble about this song or that one, the use of older Horn/Downes material over something newer, the drums not being mixed forward enough and other tiny details, but I'd say the most glaring weakness is a lack of soul and a lack of the sort of emotional touchstones that pull me into Yes music.

I like how you talk of quibbling and then jump to about the most subjective statement you can make, about a supposed "lack of soul"!

They recorded CttE when they were in their twenties. Lots of water under the bridge and lots of life experiences they have now that they didn't have then. There's also the nontrivial matter of chops, and age-related degradation thereof. Steve and Alan particularly don't seem to be able to play as fast or as intensely now as they did in teh day.

It's not fair to expect artists to keep churning out the same sort of music, over and over, as they made at any given point in time. Beethoven didn't write the same music in his late 50s as he did in his early 20s. Neither did Miles Davis. Why should a prog-rock artist be held to a different standard?

Musicians do slow down with age. Singers are particularly affected. But musicians can also improve their technique while slowing down, and I'd argue Howe is a better player in some ways now than 40 years ago. And I have no hesitation in saying that Time is better than his two solo albums, and Levin Torn White is better than Ramshackled! So, yes, I agree, we shouldn't expect prog musicians to keep doing the same thing, but we also shouldn't expect them to simply decline.

Henry

Progatron
11-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Henry, how has the relationship been between Howe and Squire over the years? Not that this stuff is particularly important but I do find it interesting.

Rufus
11-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Most of the songs on the beatles White album were actually solo recordings.

notallwhowander
11-25-2012, 07:23 PM
They need a producer that has what they lack. Offord was great back in the day because he had the technical skill to assemble the bits the band was writing. I don't think they need that now. Horn gave them much needed musical ideas (I, for one, found FFH more enjoyable than the past twenty years of Yes output). They probably still need ideas, and some visceral punch, IMO.

Frumious B
11-25-2012, 07:53 PM
I like how you talk of quibbling and then jump to about the most subjective statement you can make, about a supposed "lack of soul"!

Well hey, the right combination of money and bullsh*t can get you virtually anything in the world except for soul. The first and foremost reason I listen to music is to have an emotional experience so I'm not listening to the year in which a song was written or to the drum mix, the freaking mastering or whatever. There's no checklist and I'll maybe get around to reading the credits later or maybe not. I'm listening to the song and the song either grabs my heart or it doesn't. If it doesn't then literally none of that other stuff matters to me in the slightest.

meimjustalawnmower
11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Most of the songs on the beatles White album were actually solo recordings.
No fuckin' way! Really?

Scott Bails
11-25-2012, 09:00 PM
I personally think it's time for YES to hang it up.I really have no further interest.

Words cannot express how much I hate this POV.

"I don't like it, therefore they should just stop altogether."

Why can't they go on doing whatever they and their fans want them to do, and you just ignore it, if it displeases you so?

meimjustalawnmower
11-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Why can't they go on doing whatever they and their fans want them to do, and you just ignore it, if it displeases you so?
Perhaps because neither the fans or the band knows what they want to do? Look, it's becoming more and more obvious that if Yes is going to continue in any capacity, it's gonna be mainly as a touring band, just playing the "hits". There's still a market for that, and it's a sure-fire way of making a living, for now. But it takes the wind out of these old men. And that's what they are. When they come off a tour, they might have other priorities than getting back in the studio. Michael Dunford dropped dead at the dinner table for chrissakes!

80s were ok
11-26-2012, 12:14 AM
Perhaps because neither the fans or the band knows what they want to do? Look, it's becoming more and more obvious that if Yes is going to continue in any capacity, it's gonna be mainly as a touring band, just playing the "hits". There's still a market for that, and it's a sure-fire way of making a living, for now. But it takes the wind out of these old men. And that's what they are. When they come off a tour, they might have other priorities than getting back in the studio. Michael Dunford dropped dead at the dinner table for chrissakes!so when you get old (or more older than you are now) you want people to say about your career "hey bud, hang it up. You are old"? THey are people too and that is their job. And to throw that comment about Dunford in there...all class bud.

meimjustalawnmower
11-26-2012, 12:44 AM
so when you get old (or more older than you are now) you want people to say about your career "hey bud, hang it up. You are old"? THey are people too and that is their job. And to throw that comment about Dunford in there...all class bud.
No, dumbass. What I was saying is that THEY are becoming cognizant of their own limitations, and much of it has to do with their age.

80s were ok
11-26-2012, 12:53 AM
No, dumbass. What I was saying is that THEY are becoming cognizant of their own limitations, and much of it has to do with their age.

i see you are still as classy as ever, even on the new board!

80s were ok
11-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Words cannot express how much I hate this POV.

"I don't like it, therefore they should just stop altogether."

Why can't they go on doing whatever they and their fans want them to do, and you just ignore it, if it displeases you so?totally agree with this 100%. It's like saying "I don't like Burger King, so they should just close all of them up".

meimjustalawnmower
11-26-2012, 12:59 AM
i see you are still as classy as ever, even on the new board!
I liked you better when you had me on "ignore". :roll

bondegezou
11-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Henry, how has the relationship been between Howe and Squire over the years? Not that this stuff is particularly important but I do find it interesting.

I'm not really certain. I do have this 2-out-of-3 model of Yes, that it generally takes 2 out of Anderson, Howe and Squire to get anything done. For much of the '80s and '90s, Squire sided with Anderson and Howe was often excluded (and Anderson and Howe have struggled to get on since the late 1970s). But what the 2008 reunion marked was a decision by Howe and Squire to move on without Anderson. Without being best mates or anything, Howe and Squire do seem to have established a good working relationship.

Henry

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Perhaps because neither the fans or the band knows what they want to do? Look, it's becoming more and more obvious that if Yes is going to continue in any capacity, it's gonna be mainly as a touring band, just playing the "hits". There's still a market for that, and it's a sure-fire way of making a living, for now. But it takes the wind out of these old men. And that's what they are. When they come off a tour, they might have other priorities than getting back in the studio. Michael Dunford dropped dead at the dinner table for chrissakes!

I think you're missing my point.

What I'm saying is that as fans, it's silly to call for any artist to "hang 'em up" simply because we don't like what they're currently doing. Many people do enjoy what they're doing, like their recent material, enjoy seeing them live, etc. So to just say "they should stop because I don't like them" is like the height of arrogance, IMO. Don't like it? Ignore it!

Now, if the band itself is struggling to keep up with the schedule, then sure, hang 'em up. Or, change your paradigm, like Zeppelin, or many other acts that use a more sporadic schedule now (Rush, etc.).

Progtopia
11-26-2012, 09:31 AM
What I'm saying is that as fans, it's silly to call for any artist to "hang 'em up" simply because we don't like what they're currently doing. Many people do enjoy what they're doing, like their recent material, enjoy seeing them live, etc. So to just say "they should stop because I don't like them" is like the height of arrogance, IMO. Don't like it? Ignore it!

Fair point. And I have pretty much ignored what I couldn't get into after more than a couple listens, just because there's so much good new stuff out there. Really it makes me more sad than anything when I hear a band I used to adore floundering around later on. But you're right. One man's trash and so on...

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 10:03 AM
there's so much good new stuff out there.

This is the point I'm at.

There is so much great new stuff out there - either from vintage artists or from completely new acts - that it's silly to waste time on things one doesn't really care for.

ItalProgRules
11-26-2012, 10:22 AM
On this day in 1968, YES opened for Cream's farewell concert at the Royal Albert Hall.

Now back to our regularly scheduled arguments ;)

JAMOOL
11-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Can I just say that I like the band Yes

JAMOOL
11-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Sometimes, they were good. Other times, they were bad. I want them to record new material if it's going to be good. Anyway, that's all I have to say.

meimjustalawnmower
11-26-2012, 10:46 AM
I think you're missing my point.

I really wasn't trying to argue your point so much as making my own. I actually agree, although I think it's natural for some to write off a band when they've been around long enough to become mediocre, or jumping the shark by having not one, but two singers replacing someone who's still willing and capable, especially when it's gotten to the point where the casual fan doesn't even know the difference. It's disheartening to the hardcore longtimers to see their fav band go out like that. I doubt that Yes has another great album in them, and it's apparent that Howe has similar feelings. I'm also pretty sure that none of these guys wanna spend the last ten years of their lives trying to live up to CTTE. Their last album was incredibly strong, but it's still just a footnote in an illustrious history that deserves a proper end, and I don't think that being their own tribute band is the way to go about it. Just my two cents.

bondegezou
11-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Their last album was incredibly strong, but it's still just a footnote in an illustrious history that deserves a proper end, and I don't think that being their own tribute band is the way to go about it. Just my two cents.

You talk of history books. I see a bunch of musicians who want to go on making music. Let history sort itself out, and let a bunch of musicians who have earned so much praise for their music choose how they wish to continue.

Henry

ItalProgRules
This hardcore long-timer was in no way disheartened by last summer's show. For their age, at this point in time, I was pleasantly surprised.

Vic2012
It's disheartening to the hardcore longtimers to see their fav band go out like that.

I agree with this. I'd prefer that some of these old bands just hang it up too, but rather than bemoan the fact that they're just doing the nostalgia/tribute act scene, I say let 'em continue if they're making a decent living at it and their fans are okay with it. I can just ignore them if I'm not interested (which is the case with YES today). But I agree, it's dishaertening to see a band that you worshipped in the past just continue playing state fairs, casinos, etc. as a tribute act. I'm not referring to YES playing "state fairs" I'm thinking of a few other bands.

ItalProgRules
11-26-2012, 10:57 AM
I agree with this. I'd prefer that some of these old bands just hang it up too, but rather than bemoan the fact that they're just doing the nostalgia/tribute act scene, I say let 'em continue if they're making a decent living at it and their fans are okay with it. I can just ignore them if I'm not interested (which is the case with YES today). But I agree, it's dishaertening to see a band that you worshipped in the past just continue playing state fairs, casinos, etc. as a tribute act. I'm not referring to YES playing "state fairs" I'm thinking of a few other bands.

"Tribute acts" don't do 25 minutes of new material as YES did on the last tour.

battema
11-26-2012, 11:02 AM
I really wasn't trying to argue your point so much as making my own. I actually agree, although I think it's natural for some to write off a band when they've been around long enough to become mediocre, or jumping the shark by having not one, but two singers replacing someone who's still willing and capable, especially when it's gotten to the point where the casual fan doesn't even know the difference. It's disheartening to the hardcore longtimers to see their fav band go out like that. I doubt that Yes has another great album in them, and it's apparent that Howe has similar feelings. I'm also pretty sure that none of these guys wanna spend the last ten years of their lives trying to live up to CTTE. Their last album was incredibly strong, but it's still just a footnote in an illustrious history that deserves a proper end, and I don't think that being their own tribute band is the way to go about it. Just my two cents.

Just my $0.02: Anderson may be willing, but I really don't think he's capable. At least not to the extent that the others currently tour (and are arguably capable of touring).

In some ways, the folks who keep hoping for Anderson to return are kidding themselves even more than the folks who like the current lineup. Anderson returning won't fix anything; it will just send the band back into the same spiral of self-destruction that came to pass in the mid 2000's. Anyone who has followed Anderson's ever-growing list of "pending projects" would know that his return would pretty much end any chance of significant new output.

Even if they strictly toured the oldies? A classic reunion would be the same "grand finale" as watching poor ELP struggle their way through lackluster renditions of their classics at High Voltage, where the crowd is putting on severely-rose-tinted lenses. Watching another cringefest like the '04 tour, where the band so clearly disliked one another and turned in half-assed renditions of the songs isn't my personal idea of a solution.

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Just my $0.02: Anderson may be willing, but I really don't think he's capable. At least not to the extent that the others currently tour (and are arguably capable of touring).

In some ways, the folks who keep hoping for Anderson to return are kidding themselves even more than the folks who like the current lineup. Anderson returning won't fix anything; it will just send the band back into the same spiral of self-destruction that came to pass in the mid 2000's. Anyone who has followed Anderson's ever-growing list of "pending projects" would know that his return would pretty much end any chance of significant new output.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :up

meimjustalawnmower
11-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Let history sort itself out, and let a bunch of musicians who have earned so much praise for their music choose how they wish to continue.

Henry

I think that's what they're trying to do now. But I also think they're all (current and former) strong personalities who don't exactly have a reputation for being on the same page for more that ten minutes at a time. Whatever happens happens. I just hope it's not embarrassing for them. Of course they're capable of putting on a great show. They're pros. It's what they do. But for how much longer?

Rufus
11-26-2012, 11:09 AM

Even if they strictly toured the oldies? A classic reunion would be the same "grand finale" as watching poor ELP struggle their way through lackluster renditions of their classics at High Voltage, where the crowd is putting on severely-rose-tinted lenses. Watching another cringefest like the '04 tour, where the band so clearly disliked one another and turned in half-assed renditions of the songs isn't my personal idea of a solution.

Well Rick Wakeman would disagree with you. He talks in depth about Yes in the Classic Rock edition of 'Journey' which has just hit the news stands. He said the 04 tour was Yes at their peak from a musicianship view point. He knows they would never be able to replicate the playing standards of that tour & so a reunion would be pointless!

battema
11-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Well Rick Wakeman would disagree with you. He talks in depth about Yes in the Classic Rock edition of 'Journey' which has just hit the news stands. He said the 04 tour was Yes at their peak from a musicianship view point. He knows they would never be able to replicate the playing standards of that tour & so a reunion would be pointless!

IMHO I think he's doing what he does best...a bit of historical revisionism to paint a rosier picture than was actually the case at the time. Same way he bashes the band when he isn't there, and then talks of pure brotherhood and whatnot the minute he's back on the roster.

But he and I would probably disagree on a wide array of subjects, so the '04 assessment is probably just keeping in line ;)

NorthNY Mark
11-26-2012, 11:25 AM

I wish I could agree. Unfortunately, I don't think it even comes close.

Frumious B
11-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Anyone who has followed Anderson's ever-growing list of "pending projects" would know that his return would pretty much end any chance of significant new output.

I think Jon Anderson really needs structure and a more fixed slate of collaborators in order to do his best work. When he gets off on his own he tends to flit around like a butterfly, lose focus and not follow through on things. It can be very frustrating for people who just want to see him get down to business again because I, for one, think he's still got the voodoo kicking around in there somewhere. In that sense, I think that either rejoining Yes or entering into a some other more rigidly defined collaborative situation would benefit him tremendously.

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 11:52 AM
It would benefit him, but would it benefit Yes, or the other members of the band?

Frankly, I care more about Yes than I do Anderson, so I'm perfectly happy with the current situation.

battema
11-26-2012, 11:54 AM
I think Jon Anderson really needs structure and a more fixed slate of collaborators in order to do his best work. When he gets off on his own he tends to flit around like a butterfly, lose focus and not follow through on things. It can be very frustrating for people who just want to see him get down to business again because I, for one, think he's still got the voodoo kicking around in there somewhere. In that sense, I think that either rejoining Yes or entering into a some other more rigidly defined collaborative situation would benefit him tremendously.

In principle I agree with you...Anderson benefits from major structure even if sometimes he tries to fight it. That said, I still don't think Yes is the solution because he seems to want to take the lead in those situations, and he would really need to let others drive things. In the 80's, it was Rabin that drove him.

The Rabin/Wakeman/Anderson project would seem like a viable alternate, but I get the impression Rabin isn't as interested in the driver's seat on that one. Which might be why that project seems still pretty far from deliverable (IMHO).

bondegezou
11-26-2012, 11:59 AM

I would agree with battema: that seems like a certain amount of historical revisionism. Wakeman was pretty bored with the whole thing in 2004 (as other band members complained at the time). They were playing well at times, but personal relationships were at a low.

Henry

Frumious B
11-26-2012, 12:00 PM
It would benefit him, but would it benefit Yes, or the other members of the band?

Frankly, I care more about Yes than I do Anderson, so I'm perfectly happy with the current situation.

It would benefit Yes in that they could reap the rewards of a, hopefully, rejuvenated and focused Anderson and it would also put an end to this (IMHO) animatronic amusement park simulation era of Yes.

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 01:21 PM
It would benefit Yes in that they could reap the rewards of a, hopefully, rejuvenated and focused Anderson and it would also put an end to this (IMHO) animatronic amusement park simulation era of Yes.

Frumious, you keep losing sight that the guys currently in Yes don't like Anderson and have no desire to work with him. They wouldn't be rejuvenated.

Everyone - including yourself - talks about how this incarnation of Yes is a cash grab, but I think getting Anderson back in the band would be the bigger sell-out. They'd all hate each other, but would suffer through it for the paycheck. No thanks.

I prefer the current band where it at least appears that they can stand to be in the same room with each other.

Progatron
11-26-2012, 02:18 PM
I think Jon Anderson really needs structure and a more fixed slate of collaborators in order to do his best work..... I, for one, think he's still got the voodoo kicking around in there somewhere.

I agree. I've pimped it here quite a lot but I'll take the opportunity again: his 'epic' piece "Open" from a year or two ago is one of the best things he's ever done IMO.

Frumious B
11-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Frumious, you keep losing sight that the guys currently in Yes don't like Anderson and have no desire to work with him. They wouldn't be rejuvenated.

Everyone - including yourself - talks about how this incarnation of Yes is a cash grab, but I think getting Anderson back in the band would be the bigger sell-out. They'd all hate each other, but would suffer through it for the paycheck. No thanks.

I prefer the current band where it at least appears that they can stand to be in the same room with each other.

Hate is pretty much Yes' natural state in many ways. I'm sure Wings got along better than The Beatles. I prefer The Beatles.

Progatron
11-26-2012, 02:29 PM
They'd all hate each other, but would suffer through it for the paycheck. No thanks.

I largely agree with this. I've accepted that Yes with Jon and Rick just isn't to be at this late stage of the game. And that's cool (personally, I quite like Fly From Here and would be happy to have another studio album with the current lineup). One can enjoy the music of Yes as well as the music of Anderson and Wakeman (or even together AS Anderson/Wakeman - The Living Tree suited me just fine as well, a really pretty album). If things are going to be that disharmonious, then best to stay gone their separate ways.

I've occasionally wondered about some of those backstage fights I've heard about over the years. Mike Portnoy mentioned in an interview how when Dream Theater opened for Yes in....2004 I think? how surprised he was at some of the arguing he heard or witnessed. But I wonder just what some of the fights are about... Mikael Akerfeldt has said that bands that tour together extensively often fight about some downright petty stuff. On the Opeth tour bus they wouldn't fight about music or even the business side of things, but things like dirty dishes and the temperature (two South Americans in the band at that time with two Swedes - completely different desired temperatures :D)...

So much history between some of these guys.

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 02:40 PM
I agree. I've pimped it here quite a lot but I'll take the opportunity again: his 'epic' piece "Open" from a year or two ago is one of the best things he's ever done IMO.

If I'm reading this correctly, then you disagree, as Anderson did "Open" without the other members of Yes.

It can then be argued that both factions - current Yes and Anderson solo - have done some of their best work recently without interaction.

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Hate is pretty much Yes' natural state in many ways. I'm sure Wings got along better than The Beatles. I prefer The Beatles.

Wings got along better because McCartney was the dictator.

I doubt any of the current Yes members are interested in following Anderson's dictatorship - and I don't blame them.

Progatron
11-26-2012, 02:49 PM
If I'm reading this correctly, then you disagree, as Anderson did "Open" without the other members of Yes.

I didn't take Frumious' quote to mean that it had to be Yes he was collaborating with to do his best stuff. (Even if Frumious did mean that. :p) - I probably could have worded it better - I just think when he has someone else to bounce ideas off of (as with Stefan Podell & orchestra on "Open"), the end result tends to be better than when left completely to his own devices.

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Right - I get it now.

polmico
11-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I wish I could agree. Unfortunately, I don't think it even comes close.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Frumious B
11-26-2012, 08:30 PM
I didn't take Frumious' quote to mean that it had to be Yes he was collaborating with to do his best stuff. (Even if Frumious did mean that. :p) - I probably could have worded it better - I just think when he has someone else to bounce ideas off of (as with Stefan Podell & orchestra on "Open"), the end result tends to be better than when left completely to his own devices.

Not necessarily Yes, but IMHO JA has almost no shot at cranking out something I really think is worth a damn unless he is working with someone who has some degree of veto power. "Open" is pretty good. The mildly frustrating thing for me is to listen to "Open" and then to listen to Steve Howe's Time album and to think about how the two of them aren't actually that far apart, musically speaking, and how much better "Open" might have been with Howe's input.

Bucka001
11-26-2012, 09:15 PM

I agree 100%. Wonderful album, doesn't sound like gents in their sixties!!

JIF
11-26-2012, 10:26 PM

Frankly, I care more about Yes than I do Anderson, so I'm perfectly happy with the current situation.I agree with you, Scott. I'm glad to see some wise people on this thread that realize that Jon and Yes don't like each other and shouldn't be working together. I'm all for a new Yes album if Jon D. is contributing a great deal to the writing. Btw, Henry, has Horn been approached, or has he approached Yes, with the possibility of producing the new cd? If not, I'd say get Billy Sherwood to produce and do a bit of writing.

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Nah. I don't want Sherwood.

Wonder if Steven Wilson would be interested in such a thing?

80s were ok
11-26-2012, 11:06 PM

alright fess up, who told frumpy about the new site. Now all Yes threads will be marred.

meimjustalawnmower
11-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Say it again, only this time with more feeling! :D

Adrian
11-26-2012, 11:49 PM
You talk of history books. I see a bunch of musicians who want to go on making music. Let history sort itself out, and let a bunch of musicians who have earned so much praise for their music choose how they wish to continue.

Henry

I'd go so far as to say Yes' history has already been written. They've made their mark. They long ago recorded the music they're always going to be known for. Whatever happens now may irritate some longtime fans, but they're the only ones, really. Unless these guys manage to write another blockbuster album (highly unlikely) or someone in Yes becomes notorious (I don't see Jon Anderson going on a killing spree, but you never know), the book is already closed. They're going to be remembered for "Roundabout," "I've Seen All Good People," "Owner of a Lonely Heart," and maybe "Long Distance Runaround."

So let 'em do whatever they want. I have the albums I love, and I have memories of great Yes concerts past, and that's never going to change.

iguana
11-27-2012, 04:09 AM

Wonder if Steven Wilson would be interested in such a thing?

doubtful, recalling his experiences, when PORCUPiNE TREE supported a few US dates during the 2002 tour. he might remaster one of their vintage albums, if at all necessary, but, by personal estimate, steven wilson is not that interested in YES anyway.

Yodelgoat
11-27-2012, 05:48 AM
Fly From here was good enough to make the next Yes Album an autobuy for me. I wonder how it did sales wise. Does making an album these days make any financial sense at all? I would think, it doesnt make them anything.

Oh, anyone notice our posts count is at zero? - or is that my grade on how cool I am?

bondegezou
11-27-2012, 06:16 AM
Fly From here was good enough to make the next Yes Album an autobuy for me. I wonder how it did sales wise. Does making an album these days make any financial sense at all? I would think, it doesnt make them anything.

Oh, anyone notice our posts count is at zero? - or is that my grade on how cool I am?

Our post counts are kept at zero as a deliberate policy to discourage people just posting for the sake of it.

As far as I know, label and management were mostly happy with how Fly from Here sold, although some markets were stronger than others. I have chart and some sales details at http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnyesm.htm#ffh It sold better than the previous few Yes albums; it charted better than any new album since Talk. What good sales in the modern environment of widespread digital piracy constitutes, I don't know.

I like "Open", but it peters out halfway through and could do with some decent production work. Good, one of the best things he's done in the last 20 years, but I wouldn't say one of the best things he's ever done.

Henry

Frumious B
11-27-2012, 06:19 AM
I'm all for a new Yes album if Jon D. is contributing a great deal to the writing.

OK, here's something else I must be obviously missing, but I don't understand what exactly Jon Davison has done to inspire these kind of expressions of confidence in his songwriting. From my point of view I enjoy Sky Cries Mary, though there isn't much in that band's sound that would really translate to a Yes album, (Also not clear what is representative of JD's writing) and I am not so fond of Glass Hammer, but most of the music there is the work of the two main guys. I'm not saying that I think Davison is a bad writer. I'm saying there aren't enough concrete examples of his writing to make the call and declare him anything other than a large question mark. For my money the best writer who might contribute creatively to a new album from the current band is still Trevor Horn.

bondegezou
11-27-2012, 06:19 AM
I've occasionally wondered about some of those backstage fights I've heard about over the years. Mike Portnoy mentioned in an interview how when Dream Theater opened for Yes in....2004 I think? how surprised he was at some of the arguing he heard or witnessed. But I wonder just what some of the fights are about... Mikael Akerfeldt has said that bands that tour together extensively often fight about some downright petty stuff. On the Opeth tour bus they wouldn't fight about music or even the business side of things, but things like dirty dishes and the temperature (two South Americans in the band at that time with two Swedes - completely different desired temperatures :D)...

I'm sure Yes have argued about trivial things. In the 1970s, they argued about the minutiae of the music or each other's performance. By the late '70s and beyond, they were often arguing over money. By the 2000s... well, it's all gossip, but Anderson was unhappy about how Squire was frequently drunk and/or late, while Squire was unhappy about how Anderson was frequently stoned, and Wakeman was criticised for not putting his heart into performances.

Henry

bondegezou
11-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Btw, Henry, has Horn been approached, or has he approached Yes, with the possibility of producing the new cd? If not, I'd say get Billy Sherwood to produce and do a bit of writing.

Yes have said they want Horn to produce again. Rumour is Horn is interested, but his schedule is very busy, so Yes might wait for him or might go with someone else, probably Tim Weidner (Horn's protege, produced Magnification, originally was to have produced and did engineer Fly from Here).

Sherwood isn't interested. And I doubt Steven Wilson is interested either.

Henry

bondegezou
11-27-2012, 06:26 AM
I don't understand what exactly Jon Davison has done to inspire these kind of expressions of confidence in his songwriting. [...] I am not so fond of Glass Hammer, but most of the music there is the work of the two main guys. I'm not saying that I think Davison is a bad writer. I'm saying there aren't enough concrete examples of his writing to make the call and declare him anything other than a large question mark.

Davison had a reasonably big writing input on Glass Hammer's Cor Cordium and particularly If.

Henry

JIF
11-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Yes have said they want Horn to produce again. Rumour is Horn is interested, but his schedule is very busy, so Yes might wait for him or might go with someone else, probably Tim Weidner (Horn's protege, produced Magnification, originally was to have produced and did engineer Fly from Here).

Sherwood isn't interested. And I doubt Steven Wilson is interested either.

HenryI think Tim should do it, then. That way he can just produce, but not write.

Frumious B
11-27-2012, 06:53 AM
Davison had a reasonably big writing input on Glass Hammer's Cor Cordium and particularly If.

Henry

See, I was under the impression that he had just contributed occasional lyrics and maybe one or two song ideas. I know some people are ga ga over those two GH records, but from my point of view the more JD actually did on them, the more it would push the question mark I allocated JD in a somewhat negative direction rather than in a positive one. I tried GH out and while I suppose they are good at what they do, what they do simply isn't for me. I wouldn't be thrilled about a Yes album with that vibe.

bondegezou
11-27-2012, 07:15 AM
See, I was under the impression that he had just contributed occasional lyrics and maybe one or two song ideas.

Davison was the lead composer of "Salvation Station" and "Dear Daddy" on Cor Cordium. He did less on If, but notably led on the lyrics for "Grace the Sky" and contributed some ideas to "If the Sun".

Henry

PiscesPraematurus
11-27-2012, 07:42 AM
Isn't this to be expected?

Most classic rock fans are radio-only fans, so why wouldn't they expect the hits and only the hits?

And very, very, very few younger music fans give a shit about Yes. Very few of them are even interested in The Beatles.

In my opinion, the reason why newer albums by Aerosmith and The Stones don't garner much attention is because they aren't very good.

http://www.prog-sphere.com/2012/11/23/steve-howe-doubt-over-future-yes-albums/

Steve Howe: Doubt Over Future Yes Albums

November 23, 2012 by Nikola Savić
Filed under News

Leave a comment

Yes guitarist Steve Howe doesn’t know whether the band will record any more albums – because he’s not sure if fans want to hear new music.

They released Fly From Here in 2011, but Howe admits that when it comes to thinking about a follow-up, “it’s something that I kind of fight myself about.”

He tells the Dallas Observer: “You take bands like Aerosmith and the Rolling Stones – bands bigger than anything I’ve been in. They make new records and nobody cares. The people want to hear Satisfaction.

“I think The Who had one of the most disappointing results when they put out that last album. It was practically ignored – and they are The Who.

“That goes with Yes as well – people want to hear Close To The Edge. We love it too. We love the new music but it doesn’t have the familiarity.”

Howe also believes times have changed for the band and the way it operates, not least because his creative partnership with former singer Jon Anderson has ended.

“If we were to come out with something as good as Close To The Edge, that would be a major achievement,” the guitarist reflects. “The collaboration on those early records between Jon Anderson and I was amazing. There was a remarkable sense of teamwork. I don’t know how we did it back then – it doesn’t work the same way now.”

He’s also unsure whether Yes and Asia will team up for another tour together. “It wasn’t an easy thing to pull off,” he reports. “There were some complications, but, musically, it was a successful tour.

“My wife was not very happy when I decided to do those tours – she thought I was taking on too much. She thought it was going to drive me into the ground.

“But I’m very organised. The max time I was on stage with Yes was two and a half hours. I told my wife it wasn’t any different dividing that time up between two bands. Instead of having an interval and coming back with the same band, I was having an interval and coming back with a different band.

“It helped her understand what I was doing, and it helped me understand that I wasn’t working any longer.”

Scott Bails
11-27-2012, 08:08 AM
by personal estimate, steven wilson is not that interested in YES anyway.

Yeah, I really didn't think so, but was just floating his name out there. I know he obviously has an interest in prog, but I've never really heard his opinion on Yes.

bondegezou
11-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I really didn't think so, but was just floating his name out there. I know he obviously has an interest in prog, but I've never really heard his opinion on Yes.

AIUI, he likes the music, but his opinion of the band dropped significantly when Porcupine Tree opened for them one tour.

Henry

Scott Bails
11-27-2012, 08:14 AM
I can see how that would happen.

80s were ok
11-27-2012, 08:15 AM
OK, here's something else I must be obviously missing, but I don't understand what exactly Jon Davison has done to inspire these kind of expressions of confidence in his songwriting. From my point of view I enjoy Sky Cries Mary, though there isn't much in that band's sound that would really translate to a Yes album, (Also not clear what is representative of JD's writing) and I am not so fond of Glass Hammer, but most of the music there is the work of the two main guys. I'm not saying that I think Davison is a bad writer. I'm saying there aren't enough concrete examples of his writing to make the call and declare him anything other than a large question mark. For my money the best writer who might contribute creatively to a new album from the current band is still Trevor Horn.

yea but Jon Davison is the best JON out there for Yes and in rock and roll in general, frump

Frumious B
11-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Folks are gonna line up to tell me what a wack idea this is, but my new Yes album fantasy concept is to get Jon Anderson back in the band and then for them to do an album that puts more emphasis on the folky, acoustic side of the band. In essence, they'd be taking the band all the way back to the very beginning of their Beatles, Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel roots. Steve Howe would bust out a lot of acoustic guitar, 12 string, mandolin, banjo and so forth. The keyboards, regardless of who is playing them, would be strictly limited to acoustic piano and Hammond organ. There would be lots of harmony vocals. I'm thinking something that is sonically in the same ballpark as Fleet Floxes and The Decemberists (Maybe that's where they look for a producer.) and I think it would be a drop dead gorgeous, glorious listening experience, that would allow Yes to simultaneously age gracefully and make music in a way that is relevant to the 2010s as opposed to just rehashing the 1970s and 1980s.

bondegezou
11-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Folks are gonna line up to tell me what a wack idea this is

I think trying to tell Yes what to do is a "wack idea".

Henry

Frumious B
11-27-2012, 09:31 AM
I think trying to tell Yes what to do is a "wack idea".

Henry

They've had management, concert promoters, label types and so forth telling them what to do for decades and, as a concept, I think my idea is as solid, if not more solid, as any counsel those folks might offer.

Scott Bails
11-27-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm fine with your idea, except when it comes to Anderson. I don't want him anywhere near Yes right now.

Facelift
11-27-2012, 10:33 AM
it would also put an end to this (IMHO) animatronic amusement park simulation era of Yes.

Sad, but true.

bondegezou
11-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Sad, but true.

Bollocks.

Henry

Scott Bails
11-27-2012, 11:15 AM
I'll never understand this theory that just adding Anderson to the mix will fix all of the band's problems.

Again, just look at their output before Fly from Here and it's obvious that he was as much a part of the problem as the current members. Dismiss FfH all you want, but you really can't call Magnification, The Ladder, Open Your Eyes, or Union great works.

Facelift
11-27-2012, 12:21 PM
I'll never understand this theory that just adding Anderson to the mix will fix all of the band's problems.

Again, just look at their output before Fly from Here and it's obvious that he was as much a part of the problem as the current members. Dismiss FfH all you want, but you really can't call Magnification, The Ladder, Open Your Eyes, or Union great works.

All true. Which makes me think the "time to hang it up" crowd might be on to something.

Scott Bails
11-27-2012, 12:22 PM
SIGH....:roll

bRETT
11-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Folks are gonna line up to tell me what a wack idea this is, but my new Yes album fantasy concept is to get Jon Anderson back in the band and then for them to do an album that puts more emphasis on the folky, acoustic side of the band. In essence, they'd be taking the band all the way back to the very beginning of their Beatles, Byrds, Simon & Garfunkel roots. Steve Howe would bust out a lot of acoustic guitar, 12 string, mandolin, banjo and so forth. The keyboards, regardless of who is playing them, would be strictly limited to acoustic piano and Hammond organ. .

That's arguably what they did on FFH. True, its less "folky" than the album you're imagining, but I'd say it was more melodically driven and had less arena-rock flavor than anything Yes had done before. WHich of course led a lot ofd people here to say it wasn't ballsy enough.

Frumious B
11-27-2012, 03:25 PM

IMHO KTA2, The Ladder and Magnfication drink Fly From Here's milkshake and Magnification scores the cherry from the whipped cream slosh at the bottom of the glass too.

Jerjo
11-27-2012, 03:38 PM

I really think that a lot of what has happened with Yes over the last two decades has been driven by a need for cash. Sort of like the Who touring to keep Entwistle afloat. There has been some inspired music but again and again too much filler that makes me think, if they had the fortunes of say, Pink Floyd or Zeppelin, their productivity would have been limited to things that really really interested them (though at this point Roger Waters is pretty much pumping The Wall for every last penny). Given their sales and concert appeal back in the day, they should have never been reduced to playing one step up from state fairs and casinos but here they are, touring again and again.

I'll be lined up against that wall over there now, waiting for the Yuppet firing squad.

bondegezou
11-27-2012, 04:29 PM
I really think that a lot of what has happened with Yes over the last two decades has been driven by a need for cash. Sort of like the Who touring to keep Entwistle afloat. There has been some inspired music but again and again too much filler that makes me think, if they had the fortunes of say, Pink Floyd or Zeppelin, their productivity would have been limited to things that really really interested them (though at this point Roger Waters is pretty much pumping The Wall for every last penny). Given their sales and concert appeal back in the day, they should have never been reduced to playing one step up from state fairs and casinos but here they are, touring again and again.

I'll be lined up against that wall over there now, waiting for the Yuppet firing squad.

The Yes men were indubitably not wise with their management or their money at times, not that they ever made as much as Floyd or Zeppelin in the first place! Had they made or saved more money back then, they might be less active now.

But, personally, I'd be pretty unhappy if Yes today were like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. I know some people like their bands to be all tied up, the story all told, the canon set, but I'd rather a band that I can go see live and still making new material.

Henry

Facelift
11-27-2012, 04:39 PM

All excellent, valid points. The issue is moot for those who never really got into Yes, but nobody likes to see something that they once loved become something that they're embarrassed by.

Sean
11-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Keep in mind they can't stand Jon's wife and the two of them are a package deal. So....

polmico
11-27-2012, 05:48 PM

I'm ok with saying there are great moments on Magnification. I've always been a fan of that album, even if it's not a great one.

Rufus
11-27-2012, 06:15 PM
They've all been thru multiple expensive divorces before pre -nups n probably still payin maintenance . Mite explain y they still need a regular income by touring. Zep n Floyd guys have stayed in stable marriages.
Either way, money mite not be a motivating factor for touring. It`s well known that Carl Palmer invested his money wisely and is a millionaire. He tours n records because he enjoys it. So does Mike Rutherford , The Stones·Roger Daltrey ·with or without The Who.

enpdllp
11-27-2012, 11:51 PM
They've all been thru multiple expensive divorces before pre -nups n probably still payin maintenance . Mite explain y they still need a regular income by touring. Zep n Floyd guys have stayed in stable marriages.

Not a fair comparison since Floyd and Zeppelin earnings are in a substantially higher scale than Yes. In addition, it has been rumored that some Yes band members have not been that smart with their earnings and also have tried to keep their lavish lifestyle from their 1970s in later years without the same type of income from those golden years. With that said, all living Floyd and Zeppelin members except John Paul Jones have been divorced at least once (Waters have been married four times). On the Yes camp, Howe is still married to his first wife and I think White is also married to his first wife.

YESHEAD777
11-28-2012, 12:46 AM
I was gonna say the only one with multiple divorces is Rick Wakeman, and He's no longer a member. In fact, the total marriages of the current line-up equals Ricks total alone.lol.

Tangram
11-28-2012, 02:31 AM

Don't know about Zep but Floyd marriages are: Waters 4, Wright 3, Gilmour & Mason 2 each.

Jeremy Bender
11-28-2012, 03:05 AM
As long as we're indulging in fantasies like "I wish Jon Anderson would join Yes again", I wish that they could go back in time and have Tales from Topographic Oceans sound as good as The Yes Album > Fragile > Close to the Edge sonically instead of the muddy mess it is (hint: record at Advison instead of Morgan Studios), that Steve Howe wouldn't overplay so much and that Rick Wakeman actually cared about the project and didn't have his keyboards sound like crap.

I haven't been really interested in Yes since Going for the One, but I was really glad I went to hear them in 1997. I only went because they were playing The Revealing Science of God, that was worth it.

bondegezou
11-28-2012, 04:16 AM
Keep in mind they can't stand Jon's wife and the two of them are a package deal. So....

I think it's more (or, at least, as much) that she can't stand them. But, yes, she's the closest thing Anderson has to a manager now and she has her own views of where his career should be going.

Henry

bondegezou
11-28-2012, 04:18 AM

Not all. Howe and White are still on their first wives. Squire, Anderson and Wakeman are the ones who have been through multiple wives.

Henry

bondegezou
11-28-2012, 04:19 AM
I was gonna say the only one with multiple divorces is Rick Wakeman, and He's no longer a member. In fact, the total marriages of the current line-up equals Ricks total alone.lol.

Not quite! Squire bumps up the total.

Henry

iguana
11-28-2012, 05:21 AM
janeeeeeeee or audrey kitagawa, the divine mother?

dregsfan
11-28-2012, 10:49 AM
AFAIK, Anderson is on wife 2.0 (Janeeeee), while Squire is on 3.0 (Scotty). AFAIK, Downes has been married twice (the Asia song "Midnight Sun" is about him meeting wife 1.0).

As others have said, it's not the divorces as much as 1) poor investing, 2) lavish lifestyles and 3) decent $, but not at LZ or PF levels.

However, I do think they still enjoy playing. I'm sure traipsing around the globe in one's early to mid-60s can't be that much fun, plus it's not like Yes is playing 15,000 seat (or larger) venues like The Who, Aerosmith, Roger Waters or other similarly aged rockers where the $ is huge.

Facelift
11-28-2012, 11:06 AM
I think the time is now for a Spinal Tap-style Yes documentary to hit the theaters and revive their careers, a la Anvil. There's been more drama in Yes's history than several seasons worth of Real Housewives, but the general public is unaware of it.

NotTheMama
11-28-2012, 11:39 AM
In his book Bruford says he makes about as much as a musician in the Chicago Symphony just from royalties. So that's about 100K just for walking out to the mailbox. Not rockstar income, but not a bad foundation. Not sure how many of the other Yes guys still own their publishing though.

Scrotum Scissor
11-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I used to love them, but this band is over and done with.

Scott Bails
11-28-2012, 01:15 PM
In his book Bruford says he makes about as much as a musician in the Chicago Symphony just from royalties. So that's about 100K just for walking out to the mailbox. Not rockstar income, but not a bad foundation. Not sure how many of the other Yes guys still own their publishing though.

Every musician in the Chicago Symphony makes $100K?!!!! :O

Scott Bails
11-28-2012, 01:16 PM
I used to love them, but this band is over and done with...

...for me.

Fixed. ;)

bRETT
11-28-2012, 01:47 PM
. Zep n Floyd guys have stayed in stable marriages..

Plant recently married Patty Griffin. He's been married before, not sure how many times.

Rael
11-28-2012, 02:38 PM
I have mixed feelings over the "Yes should retire/who are you to tell Yes to retire" argument. I thought "Fly From Here" was actually quite good and for me the best album Yes have done in years. But all the live audio and video and the shows I've personally attended over the last few years don't come close to the magic of the glory years. Whereas bands like Rush and Deep Purple still kick ass live, Yes is kind of boring, IMO. I'm done seeing the band live but I'm also curious to see where they go next in the studio...

ajcmixer
11-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Isn't this all getting just a bit long-winded and silly? I love Yes, still love Yes and my love for Yes will never change. Their legacy in my mind is already set for life due to their incredible 70's output, which most folks would have to admit has not been matched by most of their peers. I really don't like/love much afterwards beyond Drama except for a song or two (if that much) off the albums released afterwards but have been content to realize that their "golden years" (IMHO the 70's) have come and gone and I will forever love them for just that.

We vote with our wallets. Isn't it that simple? I heard samples of FFH and was not interested. So I voted with my wallet. but I'm not asking them to retire as I would not ask anyone to ask me to retire. If they want to release another album, so what? I'll try to check it out before release and will do the same as I did with FFH. If I like it I'll buy it. If not, then my wallet stays in my pocket. Same with concerts.

Peace,
Alex

Scott Bails
11-28-2012, 03:47 PM
^^^ http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/upfiles/smiley/bow.gif

Fracktured
12-02-2012, 02:12 PM

I kind of find that hard to believe myself also. One thing I don't understand is that Jon has made the same comments about Yes sales being not good enough to record new material, but yet both Jon and Steve continue to record solo material which I'm sure doesn't do as good as anything Yes released since the Keys material.

Rick

elliottnow
12-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Recording costs are probably a small fraction of a Yes record.

Scrotum Scissor
12-02-2012, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=Scott Bails;11912]...for me.

For you?

Ah, I get it - good ol' Freudian slip. Can't deny the end when it's closing in, right?

Well, this band isn't finished. Not for good, anyway.

They'll mute with another group to sorta make YESIA and produce one piece, the very great, cellphone-only download single Heatbois. It becomes a grand triumph, with C. McGuire dressed in a tutu appearing at Letterman to perform the main riff on a kazoo made with stickwood from the inner Amazon delta. They then proceed to tour vegan delis all across the South Bronx. A musician's got to live.

ThomasKDye
12-02-2012, 02:27 PM
I kind of find that hard to believe myself also. One thing I don't understand is that Jon has made the same comments about Yes sales being not good enough to record new material, but yet both Jon and Steve continue to record solo material which I'm sure doesn't do as good as anything Yes released since the Keys material.

Rick

Yeah, that's weird. We can't afford to make a new Yes album but seven Steve Howe solo/Trio/whatever albums within five years are definitely doable.

Zonefish
12-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Yeah, that's weird. We can't afford to make a new Yes album but seven Steve Howe solo/Trio/whatever albums within five years are definitely doable.

That's because there are so many less people with whom to split the pie. And based on "your" standing in the band, it is definitely not an equitable split. I get the feeling their is also more involved than sitting in a home recording studio and knocking out take after take. On top of that, there is no competition over whose ideas get recorded and the obvious royalty argument to ensue.

IMWeasel
12-02-2012, 08:13 PM
In a way, I don't really blame them -- the music industry has changed a lot, and expectations for music sales in general are not what they were even 10 years ago. Yes is going to make money anymore really off of new releases, they are going to make their money off of touring.

That being said, I do wish we could go back to the Yes of the late 90s, I mean the music wasn't perfect, but at least they were productive! ;)

Scott Bails
12-02-2012, 08:24 PM
...for me.

For you?

Ah, I get it - good ol' Freudian slip. Can't deny the end when it's closing in, right?

No, I was fixing your post. The "for me" was actually referring to you, Scrotum Scissor (hell of a handle there). So, my point is that saying any band that is currently recording and touring is finished is stupid. You can say that you're done with them, you're not going to buy their albums or attend their shows, but they're going to go on, whether you like it or not.

bondegezou
12-03-2012, 04:45 AM
In a way, I don't really blame them -- the music industry has changed a lot, and expectations for music sales in general are not what they were even 10 years ago. Yes is going to make money anymore really off of new releases, they are going to make their money off of touring.

That being said, I do wish we could go back to the Yes of the late 90s, I mean the music wasn't perfect, but at least they were productive! ;)

As I've said before, journalists and discussants here are over-interpreting Howe's comments. As far as we know, Yes are working towards a new album and Howe continues to be involved in new albums from Yes and Asia, as well as various solo projects. In fact, Howe seems to me one of the more productive out there with Travelling and Omega in 2010, Time and Fly from Here in 2011, and XXX in 2012.

Henry

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Any word on Howe's Trio, Henry? Do you know if he plans on doing any more with it?

bondegezou
12-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Any word on Howe's Trio, Henry? Do you know if he plans on doing any more with it?

He's talked of doing more. He's hinted at wanting to take more time to do the Trio and solo projects next year, which means less Asia/Yes. But I expect that will mean small shifts in priorities: I imagine he is going to continue doing Yes, Asia and other things in parallel.

Henry

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Thank you, sir.

Fracktured
12-03-2012, 11:29 AM

What's the trio like?

bondegezou
12-03-2012, 02:41 PM
What's the trio like?

Fantastic. A fusion of hard bop jazz from drummer Dylan Howe and the prog influence from dad Steve. (Dylan's piano/drums duo doing Stravinsky is also well worth trying.) Lots of clips on YouTube. Hopefully we'll see more soon.

Henry

Frumious B
12-03-2012, 03:50 PM
What's the trio like?

If you've ever heard any of the Wes Montgomery/Jimmy Smith recordings it is a little like Steve Howe's take on that sound.

Scrotum Scissor
12-03-2012, 07:24 PM
No, I was fixing your post. [...] they're going to go on, whether you like it or not.
You didn't "fix" it, whether you like it/want to or not. I know what you wrote in regard to what I allegedly expressed, and I can empathize. Yes were a great band once, even loads of critics could agree on that account. But whether or not an artist "goes on" doesn't necessarily imply that he/she/it isn't altogether finished all the same. You'd hardly bother crutching up a rotten tree just because someone instists on having a swing from it.

This being said, I'm sure there are other contexts in which Yes musicians can still make some fine music.

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Whatever. :roll

NotTheMama
12-03-2012, 09:37 PM

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_Average_salary_of_Chicago_symphony_orc hestra_musicians#page1

Scott Bails
12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Wow. Color me surprised.

Geoff O'Donoghue
12-04-2012, 02:56 AM
Some forum members may not realise that, due to the way they express their opinions, other forum members may become irritated by their posts. It's a form of (usually) unintentional trolling.

Everyone has opinions and we all like to think our opinions have merit. It's part of our self-affirmation - we all know deep down that we need to love and respect ourselves in order to be able to do the same for others. As a consequence most of us don't like to be told (either directly or by implication) that our opinions are worthless or irrelevant.

Scrotum likens Yes in 2012 to a rotten tree being crutched up because someone wants to swing on it. This seems to be stated as if it were some kind of objective fact - which it is not. It's an opinion.

Henry has presented us with the objective facts about the current Yes a number of times with regard to chart positions, CD sales, concert attendances etc. If we look at Yes totally objectively as just another band among the hundreds of thousands (millions?) out there today we see:

- A band that regularly tours North America and Europe and often other parts of the world. So - not finished with regards to being a viable touring band.

- A band that released a CD in 2011 and is preparing to record and release another in 2013. So - not finished with regards to being a viable recording band.

- A band that includes a chunk of music from their most recent release in their live performances. So - not their own tribute band.

By all objective measurements this band would be considered to be a viable proposition - and certainly not finished up.

I can only conclude that assertions that Yes is finished are based on some subjective criteria such as the worth of recent Yes CDs compared to past releases, the value of certain current and past band members, the appreciation or otherwise of song tempos at live performances (see other Yes thread), the worth or otherwise of headlining a cruise tour etc.

Dissatisfaction with any or all of these criteria might result in the subjective conclusion that Yes is, in some way, finished - i.e. washed-up. But that conclusion is just another opinion.

PE Yes threads regularly attract large numbers of posts. I believe this is because some forum members who think Yes is finished like to state this (with varying degrees of diplomacy) on every Yes thread that arises (and sometimes on other threads). Subsequently other forum members who are still Yes fans are spurred into refuting these opinions. And so it goes.

Sorry to be yet another current Yes fan increasing the post count on a Yes thread.

Geoff

Koreabruce
12-04-2012, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful post, Geoff. I pretty much concur with everything you wrote. Personally, I'm looking forward to hearing that Yes will do in the studio in 2013, and though I doubt I'll get another chance to see them live unless they come to Korea where I live & work, I still wish the best for them and hope they can continue to tour & record if that's what they want to do.

bondegezou
12-04-2012, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the thoughtful post, Geoff. I pretty much concur with everything you wrote. Personally, I'm looking forward to hearing that Yes will do in the studio in 2013, and though I doubt I'll get another chance to see them live unless they come to Korea where I live & work, I still wish the best for them and hope they can continue to tour & record if that's what they want to do.

Sadly, Yes have never played Korea. They've only ever done a handful of Asian dates outside Japan, although I'm sure they'd be happy to go anywhere promoters will book them!

January 2012, Jon Davison replaced Benoit David. January 2011, Geoff Downes replaced Oliver Wakeman. Who knows what January 2013 will bring in and it's foolish trying to predict Yes, but here goes: I'm reasonably confident we'll see live work and progress towards a new album with the current line-up in the first half of 2013. How quickly they move on a new album is going to depend on a number of factors, including the different band members' schedules and views of the process, but also whether they get Horn to produce again and his schedule.

Henry

JIF
12-04-2012, 05:35 AM
You mean to tell me that Yes really wants Horn, Henry? What if he wants to cowrite, sing lead, play all the keyboards, or fire a band member? Or, worse yet, make another Yeswest album. ;)

bondegezou
12-04-2012, 05:52 AM
^ Yes certainly want Horn: they've said so on several occasions. And who wouldn't want one of the most successful producers in the world, who's also a long-standing friend of most of the band?

I don't expect the next Yes album will see the same raiding of the archives as Fly from Here. Squire has said that won't happen and has reportedly already written multiple new songs with Davison and White. Horn has said that there's no more material from that period to plunder. It's plausible Horn would have some writing input on any new material (as also happened on FfH, as happened in the past with 90125), but given the quality of writing he gave us on Made in Basing Street, I think that would only be welcomed.

Henry

enpdllp
12-04-2012, 06:27 AM
^ Yes certainly want Horn: they've said so on several occasions. And who wouldn't want one of the most successful producers in the world, who's also a long-standing friend of most of the band?

I don't expect the next Yes album will see the same raiding of the archives as Fly from Here. Squire has said that won't happen and has reportedly already written multiple new songs with Davison and White. Horn has said that there's no more material from that period to plunder. It's plausible Horn would have some writing input on any new material (as also happened on FfH, as happened in the past with 90125), but given the quality of writing he gave us on Made in Basing Street, I think that would only be welcomed.

Henry

Maybe they can expand "Go Through This" to a 23 minute epic...

bondegezou
12-04-2012, 07:07 AM
^ There are reports -- may be accurate, may not -- of at least 8 pieces in development, 5 from Squire/Davison/White that the whole band worked on during the summer tour; a group composition developed during the summer tour; a piece from Howe; and another piece from Squire from the same 2006/7 writing sessions as "The Man You Always Wanted Me to Be" and his Squackett contributions. In an August interview, White said that Davison is "already coming up with ideas and new pieces of music that we're passing around, kind of thinking towards next year". And then in a September interview, he said, "we are going to do some writing with Chris [Squire] between now and Christmas with the view to recording something next year." Who "we" means is slightly unclear: the context would imply it means Yes, but with Howe and Downes touring with Asia in that period, it may refer to just White, Davison and Squire.

That's the context in which I interpret Howe's interview comments. If he'd said those words and we weren't aware of any activity, I'd be more pessimistic, but he's saying these things in a context of ongoing writing and development. Thus, I see Howe as much more commenting on the nature of a process that is happening than saying that process won't happen at all.

Henry

jkelman
12-04-2012, 07:11 AM
If you've ever heard any of the Wes Montgomery/Jimmy Smith recordings it is a little like Steve Howe's take on that sound.only not as good (Steve, that is)...sorry, but when you're using Wes as a starting point if sorted you've gotta be damn credible. Pat Marino is; Steve, much as I like him, is not. He's good at being jazzy, but no way is he. A truly credible jazz guitarist,....

Sorry!
John

JIF
12-04-2012, 07:26 AM
^ There are reports -- may be accurate, may not -- of at least 8 pieces in development, 5 from Squire/Davison/White that the whole band worked on during the summer tour; a group composition developed during the summer tour; a piece from Howe; and another piece from Squire from the same 2006/7 writing sessions as "The Man You Always Wanted Me to Be" and his Squackett contributions. In an August interview, White said that Davison is "already coming up with ideas and new pieces of music that we're passing around, kind of thinking towards next year". And then in a September interview, he said, "we are going to do some writing with Chris [Squire] between now and Christmas with the view to recording something next year." Who "we" means is slightly unclear: the context would imply it means Yes, but with Howe and Downes touring with Asia in that period, it may refer to just White, Davison and Squire.

That's the context in which I interpret Howe's interview comments. If he'd said those words and we weren't aware of any activity, I'd be more pessimistic, but he's saying these things in a context of ongoing writing and development. Thus, I see Howe as much more commenting on the nature of a process that is happening than saying that process won't happen at all.

HenryGood God, not another Squire lead vocal!?

Scott Bails
12-04-2012, 08:33 AM
only not as good (Steve, that is)...sorry, but when you're using Wes as a starting point if sorted you've gotta be damn credible. Pat Marino is; Steve, much as I like him, is not. He's good at being jazzy, but no way is he. A truly credible jazz guitarist,....

Sorry!
John

I'm a total Howe fanboy and I have to agree. I love the Trio stuff, but I'm not going to put it on the same level as Wes.

Good God, not another Squire lead vocal!?

I'd be fine with another Squire vocal. I thought he did a fine job with "The Man..."

bondegezou
12-04-2012, 08:40 AM
only not as good (Steve, that is)...sorry, but when you're using Wes as a starting point if sorted you've gotta be damn credible. Pat Marino is; Steve, much as I like him, is not. He's good at being jazzy, but no way is he. A truly credible jazz guitarist,....

Dylan is a very credible jazz drummer and Ross Stanley is good on organ. Steve then sits in the trio not so much as a jazz guitarist, but as something else, a jazz-influenced prog guitarist, and it's the meeting point of these two styles that makes the Trio interesting.

Henry

N_Singh
12-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Dylan is a very credible jazz drummer and Ross Stanley is good on organ. Steve then sits in the trio not so much as a jazz guitarist, but as something else, a jazz-influenced prog guitarist, and it's the meeting point of these two styles that makes the Trio interesting.

Henry

Oh hell, I'll say it--his son is probably the best player he plays with these days. I bought a couple of his Horace Silver/Hank mobley knockoffs and came away quite impressed. All it was missing was a Francis Wolf cover photo. Steve is likely the weakest musical link in this context.

Then the guy did a a Bowie (David, not Lester) project ---was that ever released? Now he's doing a Stravinsky duet? Wow. Have to check that out.

Broof was his mentor, and wrote some liner notes for his album, speaking very highly of him--probably even more so, on a musical level, than his own kid, who also plus drums.

So, Squire and White are running with the fox, eh? Maybe, if he hits the woodshed early and often enough, Jimmy Page can even contribute something-after getting to, after hard work and dedication, White and Squire's "superior musical level".:)

Facelift
12-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Scrotum likens Yes in 2012 to a rotten tree being crutched up because someone wants to swing on it. This seems to be stated as if it were some kind of objective fact - which it is not. It's an opinion.

Henry has presented us with the objective facts about the current Yes a number of times with regard to chart positions, CD sales, concert attendances etc. If we look at Yes totally objectively as just another band among the hundreds of thousands (millions?) out there today we see:

Beastiality has fans, too, but that doesn't make it good.

I'm always hopeful that Yes will make aniother great album, but based on the latter-day output of the band, this seems highly unlikely at this point.

bondegezou
12-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Oh hell, I'll say it--his son is probably the best player he plays with these days. I bought a couple of his Horace Silver/Hank mobley knockoffs and came away quite impressed. All it was missing was a Francis Wolf cover photo. Steve is likely the weakest musical link in this context.

Then the guy did a a Bowie (David, not Lester) project ---was that ever released? Now he's doing a Stravinsky duet? Wow. Have to check that out.

Broof was his mentor, and wrote some liner notes for his album, speaking very highly of him--probably even more so, on a musical level, than his own kid, who also plus drums.

Dylan Howe is, indeed, a fantastic player. I've some details of what he's up to at http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnoth.htm#dylan The Bowie project appears to have stalled, although one track was released on Dylan's Translations 2. The Stravinsky Duo, http://www.myspace.com/stravinskyduo , is just Dylan on drums and Will Butterworth on piano playing "The Rite of Spring" and "The Firebird". Really good stuff, amazing what just two players can do playing pieces for full orchestras. They've released "The Rite of Spring" on CD (available on Amazon etc.) and have talked of releasing "The Firebird" too.

Bill Bruford's son, Alex, plays in a completely different style. He was in indie-electro band Infadels, who had a couple of singles chart in the UK, but recently disbanded.

Henry

JAMOOL
12-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Beastiality has fans, too, but that doesn't make it good.

Not saying I agree or disagree with you but this is a hell of an argument right here.

bondegezou
12-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Dylan Howe is, indeed, a fantastic player. [...]

Bill Bruford's son, Alex, plays in a completely different style. [...]

Of course, it's Trevor's son, Aaron, who's been most successful of late. UK #1, Australia #4. This is his band, but you may not want to play this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsy7kJyizoc

(Aaron's the one who isn't a woman or playing trumpet.)

Henry

Scott Bails
12-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Trevor's son Ryan seems to be doing well with his band, Grouplove, too.

N_Singh
12-04-2012, 12:00 PM
Dylan Howe is, indeed, a fantastic player. I've some details of what he's up to at http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnoth.htm#dylan The Bowie project appears to have stalled, although one track was released on Dylan's Translations 2. The Stravinsky Duo, http://www.myspace.com/stravinskyduo , is just Dylan on drums and Will Butterworth on piano playing "The Rite of Spring" and "The Firebird". Really good stuff, amazing what just two players can do playing pieces for full orchestras. They've released "The Rite of Spring" on CD (available on Amazon etc.) and have talked of releasing "The Firebird" too.

Bill Bruford's son, Alex, plays in a completely different style. He was in indie-electro band Infadels, who had a couple of singles chart in the UK, but recently disbanded.

Henry

Thanks for the link. The guy is really busy, it seems. Between Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman/Howe/Bruford's children, you could form a multitude of various bands, these days. That David Foster link is interesting, too. I thought it was the same guy who produced those schmaltzy 1980s songs, but it must be a different David Foster. Interesting that he too piggybacked on a Yes song for the title of his bio: "Yours is No Disgrace". Did he actually have a hand at writing that? I don't think so.

bondegezou
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
That David Foster link is interesting, too. I thought it was the same guy who produced those schmaltzy 1980s songs, but it must be a different David Foster. Interesting that he too piggybacked on a Yes song for the title of his bio: "Yours is No Disgrace". Did he actually have a hand at writing that? I don't think so.

Indeed, different David Fosters (although the schmaltzy one has also worked with Jon Anderson). Foster co-wrote the core song of "Yours is No Disgrace" with Anderson, Anderson later taking it to Yes (and Foster being cut out of the credits). Two Anderson/Foster compositions (with credit) were on Time and a Word and some of Foster's demo guitar playing was used in the final mix (to Banks' annoyance).

Henry

bondegezou
12-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Between Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman/Howe/Bruford's children, you could form a multitude of various bands, these days.

Yeah, although not all of the Yes kids went into music. I do broadly the same job as my dad, as do lots of people, so I guess it isn't a surprise that many of the Yes kids followed in their fathers' footsteps. Zoe Street Howe (Dylan's wife) wrote a book called "How's Your Dad? Living in the Shadow of a Rock Star Parent" in which she interviews Dylan, Aaron Horn and various others (Baxter Dury, Calico Cooper, Natascha Elinore (Jack Bruce's daughter), Harry Waters, Scarlet Page etc.).

Henry

BravadoNJ
12-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Yes is not done....... i feel that Jon Anderson will be back.

N_Singh
12-04-2012, 03:30 PM

And Brian Lane! :)

Fracktured
12-04-2012, 04:35 PM

I'm waiting for Moraz's return

JIF
12-04-2012, 10:25 PM
I'd be fine with another Squire vocal. I thought he did a fine job with "The Man..."So, do I. I just thought that FDH was kinda short and Benoit should've sang one more song.

happytheman
12-05-2012, 04:05 AM
Indeed, different David Fosters (although the schmaltzy one has also worked with Jon Anderson). Foster co-wrote the core song of "Yours is No Disgrace" with Anderson, Anderson later taking it to Yes (and Foster being cut out of the credits).

Henry
First I've heard of this...

Rangershockey7
12-06-2012, 05:37 PM
So is this a self fulfilling prophesy?

When Fly from Here was released, ProgressiveEars members ripped mercilessly because this song was not as good as Roundabout, or that was not as good as Closer to the Edge. It seemed no one would just let themselves enjoy a really fine album from a band that is now playing the back 9!

I enjoyed Fly from Here. Was it as good as Fragile? No, of course not. But it was still better than 99.9% of the music we hear on regular radio everyday.

We are faced with a choice.

Groups we love and cherish can just stop creating new music, like CHICAGO has. Every few years they recreate some remastered compilation to get us to spend money for songs we already own. Then they go out on tour to "champion" their new CD's.

Or,

Groups can try to still create new music, like Yes did with Fly from Here.

Count me in on groups like Yes still trying to remain vital and strong, and doing what groups do, create new music.

Scott Bails
12-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Count me in on groups like Yes still trying to remain vital and strong, and doing what groups do, create new music.

Can't believe I'm actually agreeing with a Rangers fan (yuck!), but this man is spot-on. :up

mozo-pg
12-06-2012, 06:45 PM
I think Steve is showing a great deal of wisdom. The band is about three decades past their creative shelf life. I own everything in Yes' catalogue but the last full album I really enjoyed was Going for the One or maybe Drama. I don't mind hearing the band play their classics as they remain highly skilled musicians. Before all the flaming, I love Yes.

polmico
12-06-2012, 07:58 PM
When Fly from Here was released, ProgressiveEars members ripped mercilessly because this song was not as good as Roundabout, or that was not as good as Closer to the Edge.

My impression was that most here thought (and still think) that it was pretty good.

I enjoyed Fly from Here. Was it as good as Fragile?

I didn't (and don't) enjoy, but it has nothing to do with whether or not I think Fragile is a better album. I just don't like it.

But it was still better than 99.9% of the music we hear on regular radio everyday.

I'll take your word for it. :)

We are faced with a choice.

I'll buy the next Yes record, but they'll make records and tour whether I do or not, and they'll make records and tour whether I like what they're doing or not. I hope I like the next Yes album better than Fly from Here. I'd be silly to prejudge it, though.

Scott Bails
12-06-2012, 08:25 PM
I'd be silly to prejudge it, though.

Who is this infidel?!!! Remove him from the premises immediately!!!!

JIF
12-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Who is this infidel?!!! Remove him from the premises immediately!!!!I love wondering what the next Yes album will sound like. That keeps me going. I'm happy for Yes for continuing on their path.

meimjustalawnmower
12-11-2012, 11:11 PM

Just as soon as someone needs a quick payday, or when the current replacement singer gets a sore throat. That's my guess.