PDA

View Full Version : RIP Progressive Ears 2.0

Poisoned Youth
11-03-2012, 07:28 AM
An Error Occurred. Unable to Render Page.

Vic2012
11-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Waving hello ;)

I'm gonna miss the old place. It's like moving from one pub that closed down to a shiney new pub. :beer:up

NogbadTheBad
11-03-2012, 08:40 AM
What is this place you are talking about? ;)

mozo-pg
11-03-2012, 01:22 PM
I hope there are free drugs are the new place. X)

Sean
11-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Oh, it will be like a drug.

Firth
11-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm certainly high on itX)

Jerjo
11-03-2012, 01:40 PM
I like that it looks just different enough that my wife will wonder what new website I'm spending all my time at.

Just Eric
11-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Is this the new place? Smells like stale beer and cigarettes and there's peanut shells all over the floor, just like the old place.

notallwhowander
11-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Waving hello ;)

I'm gonna miss the old place. It's like moving from one pub that closed down to a shiney new pub. :beer:up

Absoulutely. :beer:up

NogbadTheBad
11-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Waving hello ;)

I'm gonna miss the old place. It's like moving from one pub that closed down to a shiney new pub. :beer

Absoulutely. :beer

God I hope not I hate new shiny pubs. :ipa:up:geezer

Gruno
11-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Sorry, I just peed in the corner.

Scott Bails
11-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Huh. And here I thought I was so clever with my new sig. :meh

Gruno
11-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Best sig you have ever had, trust me.

Scott Bails
11-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Hey! What are you trying to say?!:lol

strawberrybrick
11-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Gooooooooooooooodby 2.0, Heeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllo 3.0!

Arkangel3
11-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Well...this is certainly going to have a bit of a learning curve...but what the hell! :D

East New York
11-04-2012, 01:18 AM
This new site fucking rocks. Thanks, Sean and all!

East New York
11-04-2012, 01:26 AM
Where are all the men?

;)

trurl
11-04-2012, 07:29 AM
'Bout damn time :P

polmico
11-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Can the old site just be shut down? There's still threads going on there that might as well move over here.

Vic2012
11-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I think people will hang on to the old site as long as it's open. At some point some "official" announcement will be made and then the old site will be blown to bits. I just have a feeling that some people aren't gonna take this new site right away. It's probably gonna be a while before we get the same buzz of activity here as on the old site. And I could be wrong too.

notallwhowander
11-04-2012, 12:43 PM
I think the old site will still be up until things like the chat room and the review section are brought over.

rushfan
11-04-2012, 05:53 PM
When the old site is shut down will there be televised coverage? And will there be a press conference? :D

Scott Bails
11-04-2012, 10:13 PM
No old site, no metman.

Or....something..

Wisdomview
11-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Where's 2.1.5?

Dok
11-04-2012, 10:23 PM
I think I'll just plug in here

walt
11-05-2012, 04:42 AM
Out with the old, in with the new.

Huzzah!

3LockBox
11-05-2012, 11:45 AM
There are some things I will miss about the old site, but this new site is infinitely easier to use on my PC and most importantly, my cellphone. I used to have build my quotes from scratch and it was a pain.

Digital_Man
11-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Yup, sad to see the old one go. At least we are still among friends though right? Well, at least familiar names and faces. :D

notallwhowander
11-13-2012, 08:57 AM
The old form is now "undefined" when I went to it this morning. Adios! It's truly bittersweet.

Rarebird
11-13-2012, 09:03 AM
So I'm not the only one who got this message.

Duncan Glenday
11-13-2012, 10:00 AM
An Error Occurred. Unable to Render Page.

The old form is now "undefined" when I went to it this morning. Adios! It's truly bittersweet.

So I'm not the only one who got this message.

I did not do this

It's another PEv2 bug.

We definitely planned to finalize the transition pretty soon, but in a more organized way.

The good news is that

PMs are still available there, as are reviews etc.
PE-Mobile still works

More later, when (if) I get the old site figured out...

Weird...

Rarebird
11-13-2012, 10:03 AM
I did not do this

It's another PEv2 bug.

We definitely planned to finalize the transition pretty soon, but in a more organized way.

The good news is that

PMs are still available there, as are reviews etc.
PE-Mobile still works

More later, when (if) I get the old site figured out...

Weird...
Thanks for the bug-free PE V3
Perhaps things are a bit different and some things, like reviews are missing, but I'm getting used to this new forum. And I wait patiently what else you got in store for us.

sonic
11-13-2012, 10:06 AM
PE 2 feels unwanted and neglected and has accordingly given up the ghost. :lol

Yves
11-24-2012, 08:03 AM
I think people will hang on to the old site as long as it's open. At some point some "official" announcement will be made and then the old site will be blown to bits. I just have a feeling that some people aren't gonna take this new site right away. It's probably gonna be a while before we get the same buzz of activity here as on the old site. And I could be wrong too.

You'll never get the same buzz of activity here. Or maybe I should say that it will never seem like the same buzz of activity here. The old PE was the equivalent of all of us cohabitating in a 2-bedroom apartment. This place is like we moved into an entire apartment building. I haven't even opened all the forums here yet!

When we were in that 2-bedroom apartment, we eventually would get on each others nerves, but we were close-knit. Here , we merely cross each other in the halls and nod politely. Probably for the best, but 3.0 will never be what 2.0 was, imo. The advantage here is that fragmenting us is actually a good thing. There are members here who would grate on my nerves big time. By sticking to my groups and selected forums, I rarely encounter them any more. I'm sure this is probably true for many here.

sonic
11-24-2012, 08:58 AM
You'll never get the same buzz of activity here. Or maybe I should say that it will never seem like the same buzz of activity here. The old PE was the equivalent of all of us cohabitating in a 2-bedroom apartment. This place is like we moved into an entire apartment building. I haven't even opened all the forums here yet!

When we were in that 2-bedroom apartment, we eventually would get on each others nerves, but we were close-knit. Here , we merely cross each other in the halls and nod politely. Probably for the best, but 3.0 will never be what 2.0 was, imo.
It appears that way. I'm so so sure it's for the best though. I get the impression lots of people are looking but actual posting is down. It gets awful boring when threads are stagnant.

NogbadTheBad
11-24-2012, 09:26 AM
I don't think that's true as there are only two or three areas I'm visiting regularly, the Main Forum & the two OT forums, they'll get by far the bulk of the traffic.

Vic2012
11-24-2012, 09:44 AM
You'll never get the same buzz of activity here. , imo. .

Well, how long has the new site been open for business now? Has it been 4-5 weeks (more or less)? I sense the same buzz of activity. To me, these discussion forums are like big lofts. Every floor of the building is a different forum. On some floors people are partying and cuttin' up (and cutting farts too :lol), and on other floors people are having "serious, roundtable discussions about prog." :)

Yves, I noticed that you have your own, private NFL thread. I'm just curious (you have every right to have any private discussion group you want. I have no beef at all with that), the mods have created a forum where sports threads can exist out in the open. I personally see that more inclusive of everyone and those who arent, interested can just ignore the thread. I think it's great. And if it gets boring, I just ignore the thread until I'm interested again. Again, just curious.

Yves
11-24-2012, 10:23 AM
That REALLY is a pet peeve of yours, isn't? We know you don't like the private groups. You've stated it in every thread that has flirted with the topic. It's your right to dislike them but they exist here and some of us will use that feature. You may need to learn to digest that fact. My private NFL group here is a continuation of the PM I had on version 2.0. It was created as a place to talk NFL without the constant trash talking or conspiracy theories that were prevalent in LP's thread. You already know this since you were a part of those PMs. But, you wanted to call me out, so there's your answer. Is your curiosity sated now? Does LP have to answer for his NFL PM too? In the future, I will bounce all my potential posts by you first...

Vic2012
11-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Yves grow up man. Geez, I wasn't "calling you out" dude. I was genuinely curious since there's an open forum for sports threads. What the fuck do I care if you want to have your own private NFL thread. Dude I'm not beefing with you, why so defensive?

Brian Griffin
11-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Having a tough morning Yves?

BG

Yves
11-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Then why ask why I have the private group if you don't care? Especially since you know why it was created in the first place, since you were invited in for every year it has existed. I was asked to create it here by those who were in it on PE 2.0, so I obliged. If people get fed up with it, it'll die off and everybody will post in the public thread. My skin off my ass...

Yves
11-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Brian, I am fine. Vic has just had this thing about private groups since 3.0 was introduced. I get that he doesn't like them, but live and let live.

Gruno
11-24-2012, 10:46 AM

When we were in that 2-bedroom apartment, we eventually would get on each others nerves, but we were close-knit. Here , we merely cross each other in the halls and nod politely. Probably for the best, but 3.0 will never be what 2.0 was, imo. The advantage here is that fragmenting us is actually a good thing. There are members here who would grate on my nerves big time. By sticking to my groups and selected forums, I rarely encounter them any more. I'm sure this is probably true for many here.

Change seems to suck for you.

I like this new place 100 times more than the old place.

Brian Griffin
11-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Brian, I am fine.

Good good

FYI - I was in the "original" LP football thread, but wasn't invited to yours, so I guess I'm a trash talker or an asshole, or both!

BG

Vic2012
11-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Then why ask why I have the private group if you don't care? Especially since you know why it was created in the first place, since you were invited in for every year it has existed. I was asked to create it here by those who were in it on PE 2.0, so I obliged. If people get fed up with it, it'll die off and everybody will post in the public thread. My skin off my ass...

Point taken bro. I just don't know why you got so defensive. I asked innocently, just out of curiosity. But if the members on the old thread wanted that then that's cool. I apologize if my asking offended you. I mean, sports discussions aren't really important to me, although the discussions can be spirited and passionate. I just like knowing that there's a forum where I can wander in any time I want, and leave when I want, and it'll still be there when the playoffs start. Is that such a bad thing?

11-24-2012, 10:56 AM
...There are members here who would grate on my nerves big time. By sticking to my groups and selected forums, I rarely encounter them any more. I'm sure this is probably true for many here.

Damn! That didn't take long! ;)

Yves
11-24-2012, 11:56 AM
If I appear to have flown off the handle, then I apologize. When we first transferred over to 3.0 I think most of us were still thinking in terms of the 2.0 version.Thus,having that private discussion carry over here seemed like a natural progression. Now that we see all the new options open to us without going private, I think the mindset of many may change and private group discussions may not proliferate as much.

Duncan Glenday
11-24-2012, 12:09 PM
To mis-quote Lincoln: "You can't please all of the people all of the time".

I can't tell you how many requests, demands, pleas we got for an extra forum on PEv2. They were always for something different - some wanted an extra forum for birthdays and RIPs, some for vendors to openly announce new releases, some wanted a way-off-topic forum ... the list went on and on, and the demands went on and on.

The demands for extra forums were so strong that I spent an entire f***ing week at one point re-working the old system to create a new forum. I wasn't able to deliver it because the old system was so committed to the 2-forum system, and because we never had a test environment - all development was done on the live system, and if I broke anything during my tests, the system would be down. So I stopped. But the requests for an extra forum continued to come in.

And you know what? There's already been a strong (well-reasoned) request for another forum here on PEv3.

Now, we've accommodated those many, many requests and provided a few extra forums ... and some people hate it.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

:roll

The forum selection here was not random. It was the culmination of what the mods need, the requests received over many years, and what simply makes sense. And - as an FYI - the forums here are fluid, and can be changed. The mods are discussing them constantly. We will eventually settle on a structure that will cause the fewest gripes.

But even then, there will still be gripes.

My advice: Go with the flow. You'll get used to it. Let us work on refining it as we experience the new system. It will eventually be better than the old - if it isn't already.

Brian Griffin
11-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Now, we've accommodated those many, many requests and provided a few extra forums ... and some people hate it.

For me, it's all too much - I really don't want to dig through multiple forums, so when I visit I just use the "new posts" button route and that suits me perfectly

If there is something specific, the search button works about the same as the 2.0 version

BG

Calabasas_Trafalgar
11-24-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm not crazy about it - but its better than going from Windows 7 to 8.

Poisoned Youth
11-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Yves buddy, I hope you'll just eventually realize that the skin is different, but it's all pretty much the same place. It just takes a bit of getting used to.

Personally, I have plenty of small gripes. As a mod here, there's a lot more to digest than your average user. But I think this was the best move in the end because it just had to happen. We couldn't spend much more time patching together the old forum.

While some things about the interface won't change, we're always open to improving the site (sorry to speak for Sean and Duncan here). Since we've started just a few weeks ago, there have already been many small changes. I have a list I'm accumulating as well that may help with navigation and the experience, etc.

Overall I'm enjoying the change. It just needs to be broken in a bit, like a new pair of shoes or an 18-year old virgin. ;)

Duncan Glenday
11-24-2012, 12:42 PM
While some things about the interface won't change, we're always open to improving the site (sorry to speak for Sean and Duncan here).

NP - as you know, the 3 of us are on the same page.

It just needs to be broken in a bit, like a new pair of shoes or an 18-year old virgin. ;)

:O There are 18-year-old v--

(never mind)

Poisoned Youth
11-24-2012, 12:53 PM
BTW, we're at almost 10,000 posts on the forum (not including the groups) - and that's in just over 3 weeks and takes into account the migration of everyone. Most forums would die for that kind of traffic.

Gruno
11-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Now that we see all the new options open to us without going private, I think the mindset of many may change and private group discussions may not proliferate as much.

To some, that's a great thing!

Yves
11-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Cozy,

I'm fine with PE 3.0. The point I was making is that it does not have the same feel. It is more difficult to overview the entire board like one would on the 2.0 version. I have to keep trying to remember which threads are in which forums. Now, I simply use the "New Posts" feature and this place looks a lot like the old place did.

LighthouseKeeper
11-24-2012, 03:38 PM
BTW, we're at almost 10,000 posts on the forum (not including the groups) - and that's in just over 3 weeks and takes into account the migration of everyone. Most forums would die for that kind of traffic.

That is great. I think this is going to be something special. I am liking so much about this new forum and I'm still discovering things. Great job guys.

Jerjo
11-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I pretty much keep it on "new posts" after checking my groups. That seems to work the best. Waiting for the archives to cross over now.

Duncan Glenday
11-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Waiting for the archives to cross over now.

Which ones?

there are a few threads we'll be bringing over in the next few days. Not many. Are there any specific ones you had in mind?

Jerjo
11-24-2012, 05:56 PM
The Nektar thread and the reviews.

NogbadTheBad
11-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Cozy,

I'm fine with PE 3.0. The point I was making is that it does not have the same feel. It is more difficult to overview the entire board like one would on the 2.0 version. I have to keep trying to remember which threads are in which forums. Now, I simply use the "New Posts" feature and this place looks a lot like the old place did.I've just made my setting such that any thread I post in gets subscribed to. That way I just click on Settings when I first get here and it shows all the threads I posted in that have new posts. I then go to New Posts for the ones I haven't posted in.

notallwhowander
11-24-2012, 08:18 PM
For me, it's all too much - I really don't want to dig through multiple forums, so when I visit I just use the "new posts" button route and that suits me perfectly
BG

That's what I've been doing too. It's the most like the PEv2 experience. I know I'm missing some stuff that way. But I've never had, and never wanted, my finger in every pie anyway.

Duncan Glenday
11-24-2012, 09:19 PM
The Nektar thread and the reviews.

Definitely being brought over...

Scott Bails
11-24-2012, 10:07 PM
To mis-quote Lincoln: "You can't please all of the people all of the time".

I can't tell you how many requests, demands, pleas we got for an extra forum on PEv2. They were always for something different - some wanted an extra forum for birthdays and RIPs, some for vendors to openly announce new releases, some wanted a way-off-topic forum ... the list went on and on, and the demands went on and on.

The demands for extra forums were so strong that I spent an entire f***ing week at one point re-working the old system to create a new forum. I wasn't able to deliver it because the old system was so committed to the 2-forum system, and because we never had a test environment - all development was done on the live system, and if I broke anything during my tests, the system would be down. So I stopped. But the requests for an extra forum continued to come in.

And you know what? There's already been a strong (well-reasoned) request for another forum here on PEv3.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

:roll

The forum selection here was not random. It was the culmination of what the mods need, the requests received over many years, and what simply makes sense. And - as an FYI - the forums here are fluid, and can be changed. The mods are discussing them constantly. We will eventually settle on a structure that will cause the fewest gripes.

But even then, there will still be gripes.

My advice: Go with the flow. You'll get used to it. Let us work on refining it as we experience the new system. It will eventually be better than the old - if it isn't already.

FWIW, I've been a big, big advocate of the "New Posts" function for those who just cannot (or refuse to)adjust to the new forum, and I've found that it's where I'm most comfortable.

My major complaint about the old PE was that it was so strict in the types of discussions allowed. I've championed the idea of private threads, but it wasn't the privacy aspect - it was the OT aspect. Too many of us are interested in many other things besides music, and there has been some very enjoyable discussions over the years. So, now with the new forums, we can have those discussions, more people can participate, and new members (or those who don't come here often) can still participate.

Frankly, I really don't understand most of the criticisms on V3. For me, it's better in just about every conceivable way.

Which ones?

there are a few threads we'll be bringing over in the next few days. Not many. Are there any specific ones you had in mind?

Unless I missed it, I'd love to see the "Prog Memes" thread migrated. There's some great stuff on there.

Rarebird
11-25-2012, 04:44 AM
I'm starting to like this forum, though I'm not always sure where to start a thread. What I like is the possibility to jump to the first new post and the possibility to jump back to a cited post.

Trane
11-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Yves buddy, I hope you'll just eventually realize that the skin is different, but it's all pretty much the same place. It just takes a bit of getting used to.

Personally, I have plenty of small gripes. As a mod here, there's a lot more to digest than your average user. But I think this was the best move in the end because it just had to happen. We couldn't spend much more time patching together the old forum.

While some things about the interface won't change, we're always open to improving the site (sorry to speak for Sean and Duncan here). Since we've started just a few weeks ago, there have already been many small changes. I have a list I'm accumulating as well that may help with navigation and the experience, etc.

Overall I'm enjoying the change. It just needs to be broken in a bit, like a new pair of shoes or an 18-year old virgin. ;)

Coz...

outside you "fixing" the 18y-o Virgin (instead of me, you bastard ;) ), I just want to make sure that despite our bitching and moaning and "regretting the old days", we actually really appreciate your (Admins in general) efforts and thank you greatly for them... I am amazed Duncan has blown the lid of his blood pressure with our constant bickering... I just wish that both your and Dunc's avatar would be smiling instead of pouting ;)

============================

But yeah, I also understand Yves' feelings about the new not being the same as the old... Yeah, we're a bunch of old geezer moaning about how today is not as good as yesterday...

But I'm definitely not convinced that the "new post" feature is supposed to replace the "all-in-two-glances" of the 2.0... Unless some threads get blocked from this feature, it's kind of useless, because a third of the post are in the Now-Listening or Whatever Happened To threads...
For ex: ProgArchives blocked the Just For Fun threads from polluting the recent posts features >> i used that feature to discover some threads I wouldn't have known existed otherwise, because I simply don't check out all the multiple forums there...

Sooooo, my idea is that if the new post feature is to work correctly, a lot of these WOT and some OT threads should be excluded from appearing...

NogbadTheBad
11-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Sooooo, my idea is that if the new post feature is to work correctly, a lot of these WOT and some OT threads should be excluded from appearing... That's a pretty good idea, if you could select which forums would appear in "New Posts" in your settings you could customize that feed to meet your tastes.

sonic
11-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Just introduce them to Scott Bails then. ;)

Duncan Glenday
11-25-2012, 01:24 PM
...I'd love to see the "Prog Memes" thread migrated. There's some great stuff on there.

It's on the list.