PDA

View Full Version : Shout out for new albums by old artists

bondegezou
11-21-2012, 06:05 PM
There's an interesting new interview with Steve Howe at http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2012/11/asias_steve_howe_its_all_about.php This bit jumped out at me.

Do you think you will ever play on another Yes album?
We released Fly From Here last year, but it's something that I kind of fight myself about. You take bands like Aerosmith and the Rolling Stones, bands bigger than anything I've been in, and they make new records and nobody really cares. The people want to hear "Satisfaction." That goes with Yes as well, because people want to hear Close to the Edge. We like playing it. We love it, too. We love the new music but it doesn't have the familiarity. It is questionable what effect a new album has on well- established bands. Sometimes, you have to step back and ask yourself what you should be doing. I think The Who had one of the most disappointing results when they put out that last album. It was practically ignored and they are The Who. If we were to come out with something even as good as Close to the Edge, that would be a major achievement. The collaboration on those early records between Jon Anderson and I was amazing. There was a remarkable sense of teamwork. I don't know how we did it back then. It doesn't work the same way now.

I think we all recognise the truth in what he's saying. Audiences want the well-known songs and don't want new albums. Even here, Hackett's Genesis Revisited II gets more discussion than Beyond the Shrouded Horizon and the 40th anniversary box set of Larks' Tongues gets more discussion than the Travis/Fripp album Follow.

People praise the classics or new bands, but new albums by established artists are much criticised. Perhaps that's sometimes fair, perhaps sometimes not. We berate acts who merely tour the old material, but when they release new material, it gets a lukewarm reaction. Many of my favourite recent albums are by old acts. Trevor Rabin's Jacaranda may be my favourite album of 2012, and both Yes's Fly from Here and Steve Howe's own Time were up there for me in 2011.

Now, as far as I know, Fly from Here sold pretty well and the label are keen on a new release, and Yes are working on a new album, with Squire, Davison and White having written multiple songs. But it would be a sad day, I think, if Yes or bands like Gong, VdGG, Rush etc. stopped releasing new albums.

Henry

Harbottle
11-21-2012, 06:10 PM
I think it would be sad if these bands stopped producing new music. In the last few years a lot of those bands you mention and many others (Ian Anderson, for example.) have produced albums that I've enjoyed as much as their 'classic' stuff. It seems to me that some of the prog artists from the seventies have found a second wind.

Today I listened to Rick Wakeman's studio recording of 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth'. That was good as well. And people like John McLaughlin and Soft Machine Legacy continue to impress me.

Downbytheriver
11-21-2012, 06:43 PM
I agree with Henry. It would be a sad day if Yes etc. stopped releasing albums. I very much enjoy Steve Hackett's work but at the same time it lacks the kind of thing that can emerge from a band writing and recording together. Yes was a group effort and the sum of their parts was much bigger than the individuals. Much the same with Genesis. Maybe that's why I don't warm up to much of Steven Wilson produces. I can admire it but I don't feel the connection that I feel with a band and the synergy that can come about. I'm a huge Neil Young fan, but I much prefer it when he records with Crazy Horse.

bill g
11-21-2012, 07:00 PM
It seems a lot of times artists new albums often don't have the magic of older albums-some truth to Steve's words regarding Close To The Edge and The Who. Or, you have the new Beach Boys album that is arguably their best since Pet Sounds, and it gets no airplay-times and tastes have changed. Steve Howe did have some beautiful music on Time though, and Tony Banks' orchestrated 'Six' is breathtaking. I'm always for new music by my favorite artists. I'd rather Genesis put out a new album than have remakes of old stuff, but I'll happily take Genesis revisited, since there wont be a new Genesis album. At this point if Tony and Steve keep up with new albums, I'll be happy with that.

Progtopia
11-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I do like to see those dinosaur bands keep going with new material, but you have to admit that there are some who just should've stopped. (I'm looking at you, Styx.)

bRETT
11-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I do like to see those dinosaur bands keep going with new material, but you have to admit that there are some who just should've stopped. (I'm looking at you, Styx.)

Styx pretty much HAVE stopped, though. To my mind, Steve is wrong-- the real fans of all the bands he named DO care about new material. Fans are excited that the new Stones single is good, and quite a few are massively disappointed that the new Aerosmith isn't. But any veteran band will have fewer real fans than it will hangers-on who come for the hits-- whether the band cares about pleasing those fans is up to them. I love Yes, but I'd never see them again if they were going to play the same set over and over.

NogbadTheBad
11-21-2012, 08:07 PM
To me it depends on the band, King Crimson's last album, The Power To Believe was very well received & I'd consider it as good as anything they've done since the early 70's. It's not a recent album but it was 30 years after their peak.

Similarly Univers Zero, Magma & Present have all released excellent, well received albums, in the last few years despite having started as bands in the 70's.

As long as the bands still make music that's interesting and entertaining I hope they keep releasing material.

JKL2000
11-21-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm always more interested in hearing new material than classics from bands like Yes.

Progtopia
11-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Styx pretty much HAVE stopped, though.

I should clarify. They should've stopped well before they did. :)

Scott Bails
11-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Well, the point is that an artist's fans want them to continue to release quality music.

That's not saying that we need masterpieces like Close to the Edge every outing, but I'm quite satisfied with Fly from Here. It's not the best album in their catalog, but it's solid, IMO. I'll continue to listen to it.

I want the artists I love to release new music because they have to. Their muse won't allow them not to. They're driven to keep creating, and they care enough to put all of their effort into the recording.

If they're not in that category, then they should probably continue to keep doing the nostalgia tours.

jkelman
11-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Maybe that's why I don't warm up to much of Steven Wilson produces.
Maybe you'll feel it more with the new record, which was written with his new road band specifically in mind, and recorded much the way they used to be done back in the day. There may be a primary composer, but everyone in the band had input into how the music ultimately turned out, so perhaps that will appeal to you more.

jkelman
11-21-2012, 10:10 PM
To me it depends on the band, King Crimson's last album, The Power To Believe was very well received & I'd consider it as good as anything they've done since the early 70's. It's not a recent album but it was 30 years after their peak.

Similarly Univers Zero, Magma & Present have all released excellent, well received albums, in the last few years despite having started as bands in the 70's.

As long as the bands still make music that's interesting and entertaining I hope they keep releasing material.
And, of course, VdGG!

NogbadTheBad
11-21-2012, 10:19 PM
And, of course, VdGG!Indeed - I meant to post them but forgot.:oops :up

Don Arnold
11-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Even here, Hackett's Genesis Revisited II gets more discussion than Beyond the Shrouded Horizon

I recently picked up Hackett's most recent two releases, including BtSH, and both are very very good, imo. In fact, I think Hackett has been on quite a roll since about Darktown.

rojon
11-21-2012, 11:31 PM
People praise the classics or new bands, but new albums by established artists are much criticised. Perhaps that's sometimes fair, perhaps sometimes not. We berate acts who merely tour the old material, but when they release new material, it gets a lukewarm reaction.

It's a different time now for these 70's acts, they surfed the big wave, now its hard to make a ripple. But you cant expect the general audience today to love new material like the diehards or like in the past. (I'm not really a Journey fan, but were I to see them live I would suffer through new material waiting for Don't Stop Believing. But with a band like Yes, I could be on the other side of that coin.)

However, not a smart idea to announce you don't intend to record again, best to leave it unspoken, leave it hanging. Once all recording is in the past, you cross a line. You don't want to cross that line.

moecurlythanu
11-21-2012, 11:57 PM

It seems to be that the odds of getting excellent new material from an older band increases in inverse proportion to that band's former popularity. (Imo, of course.) Why is that? Could it be...egos?

Facelift
11-22-2012, 01:18 AM
It's certainly not impossible for these older bands to keep making good albums - they just don't do it very often, though. Magma recently did it, IMO, and so did Rush.

bondegezou
11-22-2012, 04:35 AM
It seems to be that the odds of getting excellent new material from an older band increases in inverse proportion to that band's former popularity. (Imo, of course.) Why is that? Could it be...egos?

The bigger the name, the more the name sells the album rather than the music, the less attention the music gets?

Henry

bondegezou
11-22-2012, 04:37 AM
(I'm not really a Journey fan, but were I to see them live I would suffer through new material waiting for Don't Stop Believing. But with a band like Yes, I could be on the other side of that coin.)

I can relate to that. I want the bands I know well not to play the hits, but I want the bands I'm less familiar with to play what I know. So I understand why, at a Yes show, "Roundabout" and "Starship Trooper" get the biggest cheers, but I try to cheer extra hard when they do "Into the Storm"!

Henry

tom unbound
11-22-2012, 10:35 AM
But it would be a sad day, I think, if Yes or bands like Gong, VdGG, Rush etc. stopped releasing new albums.----quote----

:O Gong got mentioned !!
-- Their latest , and a double album at that, (original members too!) 2032 is a blast from the past with just the right amount of freshness thrown in. ------- Buy from the band's website !! http://www.planetgong.co.uk/bazaar/menu_xs.shtml They need the money more than E-Bay or Amazon --- support the band, not the 1% !!!---
The newest version of the band (seems that members change faster than Crimso or Yes) is touring now, and I expect a new album someday too.
----------- end of shout-out---------

Big Ears
11-22-2012, 11:19 AM
The trouble is bands use the old name, but with different musicians. The only Yes 'original' is Squire. Accepting that Howe was a part of their best period, that makes two Yes nearly-originals. It is difficult to see them making an album as good as CTTE without Anderson and Wakeman, or even Bruford and Offord. At a push, they might get close to the Drama-era, but this would take a massive leap beyond Fly From Here.

The Who's Endless Wire album, even without John Entwistle, was still a good album, even if sales, according to Howe, were disappointing. I would rather see Yes put out an album as good as CTTE with few sales, than make another Fly From Here with massive sales. After all, Asia sold a lot of albums, but most were weak.

polmico
11-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Man, isn't this all subjective? I thought Fly from Here was awful. So was Endless Wire. Not the way I'd like either of those bands to go out, but my opinion is just one opinion, and both albums have their supporters. On the other hand, the new Rush and VdGG are great. I liked the last Gong album, too. They can all keep going or call it quits.

polmico
11-22-2012, 12:52 PM
[/B] and the 40th anniversary box set of Larks' Tongues gets more discussion than the Travis/Fripp album Follow.

Henry

I would love to talk about Follow. I'd be thrilled to talk about it. I've been waiting over a month to talk about it. I've been waiting since I ordered it at the beginning of October from DGM Live. Have I mentioned today how much I hate the customer service at DGM Live?

enpdllp
11-22-2012, 01:19 PM

Egos, change of personnel, running out of ideas, etc. There are many reasons why a band's newer material might not be as good as their earlier efforts.

SteveSly
11-24-2012, 06:20 PM

Although it has been a while I think their last studio album of new material "Cyclorama" ranked right up with the best stuff the band has done. I love the album.

Steve Sly

SteveSly
11-24-2012, 06:21 PM
I recently picked up Hackett's most recent two releases, including BtSH, and both are very very good, imo. In fact, I think Hackett has been on quite a roll since about Darktown.

Hackett has been doing the best music of his career in the last decade IMO. Not a clunker in the bunch.

Steve Sly

SteveSly
11-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Man, isn't this all subjective? I thought Fly from Here was awful. So was Endless Wire. Not the way I'd like either of those bands to go out, but my opinion is just one opinion, and both albums have their supporters. On the other hand, the new Rush and VdGG are great. I liked the last Gong album, too. They can all keep going or call it quits.

Loved "Fly From Here" but was very disapointed with "Endless Wire".

Steve Sly

Jerjo
11-24-2012, 06:33 PM
I liked Endless Wire. It wasn't the greatest Who album ever, but if it was the last effort from Pete and Roger, then they at least tried for something grand rather than phoning it in.

If you want to talk about an old band playing with renewed balls and fire, it was that Van Halen album. People complain about Yes and the tempos but this thing was full-tilt mayhem on over half the songs.

SteveSly
11-25-2012, 01:31 PM
I can think of several old artists that are still producing new music that have not been mentioned here, although none of these (with the possible exception of Maiden) are Prog:

Alice Cooper – Welcome 2 My Nightmare from earlier this year is a great album, and one of the most diverse of his career.

Ozzy Osbourne – A lot of people are going to laugh at this, but I think his last album “Scream” was a very fine return to form.

Elton John – His last album with Leon Russell “The Union” is very good, and the best thing he has done since “Songs From The West Coast”.

Iron Maiden – Their last several albums have all been quite solid and rank right up there for me.

Michael Monroe – Don’t know if there are any Hanoi Rocks fans here, but Monroe’s album from last year is just plain sleazy punkish fun and a great heavy rock album.

Glenn Hughes – His work with Black Country Communion ranks right up with the best stuff he has ever done IMO.

Manic Street Preachers – Their 2011 album “Postcards From A Young Man” is another great one.

Buddy Guy - His last studio album may be the best of his entire career.

Status Quo – Their last two albums have both been solid.

Steve Sly

bRETT
11-25-2012, 01:46 PM
I can think of several old artists that are still producing new music that have not been mentioned here, although none of these (with the possible exception of Maiden) are Prog:

One big one to add here: Steve Winwood. His last two albums (About Time and Nine Lives) were his best since Traffic, and probably better than the last two Traffic albums. Both were largely ignored, probably because they ignored his commercial 80s sound in favor of a free-flowing Traffic-like approach.

mogrooves
11-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Ray Davies and Leonard Cohen have done good work in recent years

firth5th
11-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Tony Banks lyrics :: Back To Back lyrics

He's not the only one
To think that things are going wrong
and all around is only second best.
Time was when all was fair
and we built solid castles in the air
He said that back to back in time's the way to go
Better in my day
I hear everybody say
but then they'll still be saying it tomorrow
It's so hard to take it
When your time is over
Yes it's hard to take it
When you try to remember
Better in my day, in my way, can't you see
Better in my way, here to-day, don't you see
I remember well he said,
When great men led the way instead
Of manicure and media-hugging style
But I don't know what to do
From now on we'll always lose
Better in my day
I hear everybody say
but then they'll still be saying it tomorrow
It's so hard to take it
When your time is over
Yes it's hard to take it
When you try to remember
Better in my day, in my way, can't you see
Better in my way, here to-day, don't you see
He's not the only one
To think that things are going wrong
And all around is only second best
But I don't know what to do
From now on we'll always lose
The only way to go
Try to remember
Oh better in my day, better in my way...

Frumious B
11-25-2012, 02:30 PM
As a Who album Endless Wire doesn't quite pass muster. As a Pete Townshend solo album with special guest Roger Daltrey it is reasonably decent. I think they should have involved the touring band more extensively in the recording process, particularly Zak Starkey who I think only appears on "Black Widow's Eyes". Fly From Here is a mixed bag to me, as is Jon Anderson's recent output. Howe also mentions The Rolling Stones and I feel compelled to report that I think A Bigger Bang is a stronger Stones album than Fly From Here is a Yes album.

As far as recent work by more veteran type acts that I really enjoy I'd mention:

R.E.M. (They finally split last year, but IMHO ended on a couple of high notes)
U2
Bob Dylan
Bruce Springsteen
Rush
Leonard Cohen
Duran Duran (I don't think it sold well, but All You Need is now was a major return to form after the very disappointing Red Carpet Massacre)
Van Halen (They put out a strong contender for my favorite album of 2012)
Robert Plant
Marillion
The Beach Boys
Paul McCartney (not the standards album, but Electric Arguments is really good)

Frumious B
11-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Also, since they've both been making albums for about as long as Yes had been around the time of ABWH I'll throw Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam out there as veteran artists whose most recent albums I really enjoy.

Lo-Fi Resistance
11-25-2012, 02:50 PM
I think the last couple of years have seen some great output from veteran artists. Rush, Kate Bush, Neil Young, Robert Plant, Trevor Rabin, etc. Good is good as far as I'm concerned, even if it is a bit different stylistically than the output from an artist's "glory days."

Prehensile Pencil
11-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Status Quo – Their last two albums have both been solid.

Steve Sly

Indeed, I dig it. Also some new, or at least newish, stuff by some other old guys:

DEEP PURPLE - Rapture of the Deep
AEROSMITH - Music From Another Dimension
ROLLING STONES - Doom & Gloom single
THE WHO - Endless Wire
ZZ TOP - La Futura
LYNERD SKYNERD - Last Of A Dying Breed
MOLLY HATCHET -Justice
SCORPIONS - Sting In The Tail
DOOBIE BROS - World Gone Crazy
UFO - Seven Deadly
JO JO GUNNE - Big Chain
WHITESNAKE - Forevermore
PETER FRAMPTON - Thank You Mr. Churchill
NAZARETH - Big Dogz
ROBIN TROWER - The Playful Heart
TED NUGENT - Love Grenade

boulder
11-25-2012, 03:30 PM
IAN HUNTER!!!! His last 3 albums are the best of his career...starting with Shrunken Heads, I could not believe how great that album was...Man Overboard was a strong follow up...and When I'm President is probably the best rock album I heard in years...if you have not heard any of these it is a crime. He is 73 years old. Too bad Dylan can't make a record half as good as any of these...hell, not sure he ever did. Yeah..they are THAT good.

SteveSly
11-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Also, since they've both been making albums for about as long as Yes had been around the time of ABWH I'll throw Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam out there as veteran artists whose most recent albums I really enjoy.

I would agree with Pearl Jam. "Backspacer" (which I think is their most recent) is an excellent album. Another one from that era would be Alice In Chains. Their comeback album "Black Turns Into Blue" is as good as anything they did in their hey day IMO.

Steve Sly

SteveSly
11-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Indeed, I dig it. Also some new, or at least newish, stuff by some other old guys:

UFO - Seven Deadly
WHITESNAKE - Forevermore

All of these artists are still putting out good music. I don't think the Trower or Whitesnake albums are quite as good as in their hey day, but they are still pretty high quality discs. UFO has been putting out good new material for the last decade or so as has Skynyrd.

Steve Sly

SteveSly
11-25-2012, 07:30 PM
IAN HUNTER!!!! His last 3 albums are the best of his career...starting with Shrunken Heads, I could not believe how great that album was...Man Overboard was a strong follow up...and When I'm President is probably the best rock album I heard in years...if you have not heard any of these it is a crime. He is 73 years old. Too bad Dylan can't make a record half as good as any of these...hell, not sure he ever did. Yeah..they are THAT good.

Totally forgot about Hunter. Yea, I agree his last 3 have all been excellent.

Steve Sly

starfighter
11-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Although it has been a while I think their last studio album of new material "Cyclorama" ranked right up with the best stuff the band has done. I love the album.

Steve Sly

I'm with you on this one. I think it's their best studio album since Pieces of Eight, and I'd probably rank it third overall behind The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight.

Jerjo
11-28-2012, 02:26 PM
I finally heard that new Aerosmith album. Talk about retreading what no longer works. There's a few Joe Perry compositions that have got some snot n' swagger to them but the rest is way too slick and safe. This not the band that made Pump, let alone the one that made Rocks.

JAMOOL
11-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Let's not forget the new album by my man Thomas Dolby!!

ProggyDave
11-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Let's not forget the new album by my man Thomas Dolby!!

My EVIL Twin Brother is a great song! saw him play it live this year with a full band..great stuff for this decacde

JAMOOL
11-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Wish I could have caught that. The second half of that album is just beyond gorgeous. Definitely one of those albums where you can tell the guy spent the better part of three years just trying to get everything as good as he could make it.

bRETT
11-28-2012, 04:26 PM
I saw Neil Young the other night and a good half of the two-hour set was from Psychedelic Pill (to my mind his best album in 20 years). More power to him.

arise_shine
11-28-2012, 05:09 PM
I was talking about this with my girlfriend the other day. I wonder if it's one of those "trappings of fame" things. You had success, but that doesn't mean that people want to hear what you have to express--they want to hear what they already know. "Great, Soundgarden's back together--they're playing Black Hole Sun live, right?"

That's why bands that continue to make good (if not great) music continue to impress me. Rush's CMFA is their *19th* studio album, and it's becoming one of my favorites. Sure, not quite as good as anything from their heyday, but it's their best overall album in 25 years. But even then .. at every Rush concert I've been to, people applaud politely at the newer material, but they go wild for the classics.

Of course we're different on this board. We're curious, we're analytical, we're opinionated. We like to discover and discuss and debate. We love "Firth of Fifth," but we also revel in Hackett's continued creative successes.

And that's too bad. I hate to think of how much good music is being missed because of the name attached to it. Of course, I hate to think of how much good music is missed because of the lack of a name (or nowadays, pretty face) attached to it. Me personally, I hate to think of how much good music I'm missing because I don't have time to explore what's out there.

Music.

JAMOOL
11-28-2012, 05:42 PM
To be fair though great stuff released 20+ years ago does mean it's had time to really enter someone's consciousness. I feel a bit weird bringing up They Might be Giants on a prog board but their latest album was quite good and people went nuts for the newer stuff. But a song like "Birdhouse" or "Ana Ng"...like, looking around, most of the people in the audience probably grew up listening to these songs on repeat, it almost shaped their lives in a way, how can anything new really compete with that?

I notice this a lot re-listening to albums released from say, 2002 to 2009 or so, when initially I thought "I wish this was a bit more like their older albums" I now think "yeah, this is just as good, what was I thinking"

sotdude
11-29-2012, 04:49 PM
I see no one has mentioned the new Heart CD 'Fanatic', which is the best thing they've done in ages. Easily the hardest rocking album they've created since their earlier, classic material, and a couple of really good poppy/folky tunes as well. Gets regular play here, as does the new Rush, ZZ Top, BCC, Ian Anderson, UFO, Van Halen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, recent Whitesnake, Yes, Nazareth, Bachman-Turner, and Alice Cooper releases. Good to see so many of these bands still putting out great new music. Looking forward to the new Deep Purple album in 2013!

SteveSly
11-29-2012, 06:13 PM
I see no one has mentioned the new Heart CD 'Fanatic', which is the best thing they've done in ages. Easily the hardest rocking album they've created since their earlier, classic material, and a couple of really good poppy/folky tunes as well. Gets regular play here, as does the new Rush, ZZ Top, BCC, Ian Anderson, UFO, Van Halen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, recent Whitesnake, Yes, Nazareth, Bachman-Turner, and Alice Cooper releases. Good to see so many of these bands still putting out great new music. Looking forward to the new Deep Purple album in 2013!

I thought Heart’s “Jupiter’s Darling” from a few years ago was really good too. I also think the Bachman / Turner album from last year was pretty strong as well.

Steve Sly

JIF
12-06-2012, 10:07 PM

DEEP PURPLE - Rapture of the Deep
AEROSMITH - Music From Another Dimension
ROLLING STONES - Doom & Gloom single
THE WHO - Endless Wire
ZZ TOP - La Futura
MOLLY HATCHET -Justice
SCORPIONS - Sting In The Tail
DOOBIE BROS - World Gone Crazy
UFO - Seven Deadly
JO JO GUNNE - Big Chain
WHITESNAKE - Forevermore
PETER FRAMPTON - Thank You Mr. Churchill
NAZARETH - Big Dogz
TED NUGENT - Love GrenadeAre you saying that you like Music From Another Dimension? If so, I do too. I just haven't played it in a while cause I got more new cds.

JIF
12-06-2012, 10:09 PM

Steve SlyI feel the same way. My only grip is that they should've ditched the Billy Bob Thorton song. I like it, but I just wanted a few more Larry songs.

Andrathion
12-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Thomas Dolby's Map of the Floating City was possibly the best album of 2011. And it's probably his best album ever.

There are artists out there who are still very interesting. Most, however, are not.

Here are some thoughts.

1. Why aren't my favorite bands as good as they were?

Because they aren't. You'll have to get over it. Yes's Fly From Here was adequate, but it's no Close to the Edge. Why? Well, because these guys have already given their best. It's that simple. Go write a song yourself. Then write another one. And another. And another. At one point, there's an end. I like Yes, even nowadays, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect them to do what they did back in 1972. The thing is not to lament their current form, but to embrace what they already achieved.

2. Why do people want just the old stuff?

They don't. The old stuff is just what they know, and if they like the band, that's what they'll be going for. But I know of very few progressive rock fans who aren't willing to listen to new material. There'll be a caveat, though: the new stuff should be good, too. In general, it very often isn't. See 1.

3. Why are all the old bands repeating themselves?

Hasn't that been answered yet? Because they think it sells. Because that's always worked for them. Because they've run out of ideas. All these things, I suspect. It's also because they never realized why exactly their successful stuff was, actually, successful - as such, it's a formula they can blindly repeat, but not reinvent. And, of course, rule 2 sets in: they repeat themselves because that's what their fans seem to want. A bit of a vicious circle, really.

There have always been bands that continue to change. King Crimson was one of the best examples. Nowadays, Van der Graaf Generator springs to mind. And there have always been bands that simply continue to be interesting on more or less the same footing, such as Magma. By and large, though, you can't reasonably expect a band to be both what it was in, say, the 70's, and different now, and equally good in both eras.

"Audiences want the well-known songs and don't want new albums,", the OP said. I don't think that's true at all. I think they'll settle for the old, just because the new isn't all that great.

In the end, it's why music progresses.

Nicholas
12-07-2012, 10:02 AM
I've only Echoes by Pink Floyd to judge their final release but apart from High Hopes it seems pretty poor material. Genesis' Calling All Stations would perhaps have been far more successful had it been released now as it seems more like modern day Marillion and It Bites as well as Porcupine Tree circa Lightbulb Sun. Yes recent release sounded better than anything they've done in a long while.

Progtopia
12-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Thomas Dolby's Map of the Floating City was possibly the best album of 2011. And it's probably his best album ever.

Nothing will ever beat The Golden Age of Wireless for me, but I'll definitely put MotFC at #2.

Rarebird
12-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Well, the latest album by Bap, a group I bought the first albums in the 80's, is better (more mature) than the old albums I have on vinyl.
Heinz Rudolf Kunze is an artist I just discovered a few years ago and his latest stuff is at least as good as his early stuff.
I have to admit, both artists are not prog.

progman1975
12-08-2012, 08:41 AM

Darktown is just effin amazing!!!!!!!

mozo-pg
12-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Man, isn't this all subjective? I thought Fly from Here was awful. .

The album sounds like an incredibly overused formula to create stale progressive rock where cliches abound and originality is devoid. If others want to hear more Yes, the more power to you. I'll would likely buy a new release out of blind loyality and play it once or twice and then leave it in the collection.

There are lots of examples, already mentioned, where older bands release stellar material. King Crimson and TPtB is the best example.

Howler Monkey
12-08-2012, 11:44 AM
I feel the same way. My only grip is that they should've ditched the Billy Bob Thorton song. I like it, but I just wanted a few more Larry songs.

Don't you mean gripe and not grip?

bondegezou
12-08-2012, 05:15 PM
There are lots of examples, already mentioned, where older bands release stellar material. King Crimson and TPtB is the best example.

Well, as ever, different people have different tastes because I can think of many far better examples than the decline of Crimson's last few albums!

Henry

Dok
12-08-2012, 05:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJg1pFiUC_Q&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/user/itsaboutpride

Dok
12-08-2012, 06:00 PM
The dB's, Falling Off The Sky
Little Feat, Rooster Rag
Bonnie Raitt, Slipsteam
Joe Walsh, Analog Man
Heart, Fanatic
Dead Can Dance, Anastasis
Focus, X
Mickey Dolenz, Remember
Donald Fagen, Sunken Condos
Alvin Lee, Still On The Road To Freedom
Leonard Cohen, Old Ideas
Oregon, Family Tree
Dr. John, Locked Down
America, Back Pages
Glen Campbell, Ghost On The Canvas
Booker T. Jones, The Road From Memphis
Paul Simon, So Beautiful or So What
Robbie Robertson, How To Become Clairvoyant
Uriah Heep, Into The Wild
The Smithereens, 2011

To name a few from the past couple of years :geezer

kenneth8446
12-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Totally forgot about Hunter. Yea, I agree his last 3 have all been excellent.

Steve Sly

I saw Ian Hunter last night in Toronto. What a great performance! The voice is in terrific shape and the songs off of When I'm President were excellent, especially the title track. It was nice to see someone who feels compelled to perform for the love of it. It was really small venue, Lee's Palace, maybe 500 enthusiastic people. I'm buying the new album next week.

Dok
12-08-2012, 06:05 PM
I saw Ian Hunter last night in Toronto.

Don't know how I forgot Ian!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMsrwP8pCgk

Tangram
12-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Styx pretty much HAVE stopped, though.

Used to listen to Styx up until Kilroy. Went to their site, and much to my surprise, they are still touring. Don't know about recording. The sad thing is that their band page doesn't mention Dennis DeYoung. They may hate him but at least acknowledge his existence. He did write most of your songs.

Anyway, back to the original thread, some of the old guys can still bring it. Just don't expect them to match their career best and you are good to go. Some that I find their new releases enjoyable are, Steve Hackett, Tony Banks, Doobie Brothers, David Gilmour (another one please), Peter Gabriel. Elton John as released a handful of very good albums since 2000 with another coming in February. Yes FFH was OK. Tangerine dream has some very good tracks scattered among the half dozen releases they make EACH year!

gregory
12-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Loved "Fly From Here" but was very disapointed with "Endless Wire".

Steve Sly

FFH is not bad. Nothing new, of course, kind of crossover album for them. Like a mix of Yes with Asia. Not bad, but not great either.

gregory
12-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Glen Campbell, Ghost On The Canvas

How is it?

bondegezou
12-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Now, as far as I know, Fly from Here sold pretty well and the label are keen on a new release, and Yes are working on a new album

Latest radio interview with Geoff Downes confirms Yes recording next year.

Henry

Yaman Aksu
12-10-2012, 08:20 AM
Fish's "13th Star". The album is several years old by now but it's his most recent studio album.

bRETT
12-10-2012, 11:52 AM
How is it?

Really good, and he dared to build a concept album around his struggle with Alzheimer's. The version of Guided by Voices "Hold On Hope" will choke you up...Parts are still quite uplifting, though.

Dok
12-10-2012, 10:37 PM
How is it?

Poignant, moving... sad to realize it's his last

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMh78jF-fMQ

Dok
12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
The title track written by one Paul Westerberg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7kw5zXVFVQ

JIF
12-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Don't you mean gripe and not grip?Yes.

JIF
12-21-2012, 08:45 PM

HenryI'll believe that when I hear it. It seemed like FFH came out a long time after Yes announced that they wanted to record a new album. Wasn't it stated in several interviews that was the purpose of hiring Benoit? Of course, many things(like the Asia Omega album and tour, and Chris's leg surgery) got in the way.

bondegezou
12-22-2012, 05:54 AM
I'll believe that when I hear it. It seemed like FFH came out a long time after Yes announced that they wanted to record a new album. Wasn't it stated in several interviews that was the purpose of hiring Benoit? Of course, many things(like the Asia Omega album and tour, and Chris's leg surgery) got in the way.

David was hired initially to tour and I don't recall the band saying otherwise. There was vague talk of doing an album at some point for some time, but serious work towards a new album began In late 2009, with writing through 2010, and then into the studio late 2010.

The question now is where are we in that cycle? I'd guess we're at the equivalent of autumn 2010, which would imply a release in autumn 2013.

Henry

Trane
12-22-2012, 06:34 AM
Santana's Shape Shifter is actually the best thing since Amigos or Oneness/Swing Of Delight

Guy v3.0
12-22-2012, 11:53 AM
That's not saying that we need masterpieces like Close to the Edge every outing, but I'm quite satisfied with Fly from Here. It's not the best album in their catalog, but it's solid, IMO. I'll continue to listen to it.
Th

I think the key idea is "ground-breaking." CttE was a ground-breaking album. There had never been anything like it. Also, we (most of us here) were young and impressionable. It made a big impact on us. So, no matter how good FFH is, it will never have the impact on us that CttE did.

So, no matter how good a new Yes album is, or Genesis, or whoever; it will never be as ground-breaking. And if it were it would have to be in a whole new genre just as Progressive Rock was at the time.

And I just wanted to make another point: on "classic rock" radio stations (remember radio?) you never hear new music by classic bands. So, you will hear Roundabout or LDR, but not anything off Fly From Here. Same with Stones, etc. You'll hear the same Zep songs over and over, but nothing new from Robert Plant even though some of the stuff from his last couple of CDs is right up there with classic Zep stuff. 90% of the listening public just want to hear the same old stuff they loved in high school.

mozo-pg
12-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Santana's Shape Shifter is actually the best thing since Amigos or Oneness/Swing Of Delight

Wow! Quite an endorsement. I'll have to pick this one up.

Adm.Kirk
12-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Shape Shifter is very solid. I have been quite impressed particularly coming off of the last 3 albums which were some of the worst records the band made.

Part of the reason veteran acts have trouble with sales of new music is demographics. Radio wants to appeal to a younger group of people. People with discretionary income. The 18-34 age group. They are more likely to buy music and what they buy is rap, modern country and modern rock. Of course the younger demo is familiar with Brown Sugar, Owner of A Lonely Heart and Stairway to Heaven, and may pick up a best of by these bands but nothing else.

Once you are out of that demographic you don't really matter anymore since you are dealing with things that limit discretionary income. It's a youth market and 65 year old men playing guitars doesn't make much of an impression.

Having said that, I think it's great to see Led Zeppelin and Bob Dylan in the top 10 of the Billboard album charts. Zeppelin, of course, are playing the classics that everyone knows, but Dylan is still writing and producing new music and Tempest has shown up in a lot of best of 2012 lists. So there are exceptions.

Personally, I'm interested in new music by veteran acts. I thought Fly From Here was, while not CTTE, a fine addition to the Yes catalogue. A thoroghly enjoyable release. Same with The Who's Endless Wire. My biggest problem with The Who album is that Zak Starkey was very underused. I think if Townshend decides that Floss is going to be a Who album he needs to have Zak as a full participant and try to get more of a live sound. The writing, I thought, was solid.

Bill

bondegezou
12-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Part of the reason veteran acts have trouble with sales of new music is demographics. Radio wants to appeal to a younger group of people. People with discretionary income. The 18-34 age group. They are more likely to buy music and what they buy is rap, modern country and modern rock. Of course the younger demo is familiar with Brown Sugar, Owner of A Lonely Heart and Stairway to Heaven, and may pick up a best of by these bands but nothing else.

Once you are out of that demographic you don't really matter anymore since you are dealing with things that limit discretionary income. It's a youth market and 65 year old men playing guitars doesn't make much of an impression.

It's rather more complicated than that: http://www.themusicvoid.com/2008/05/why-do-record-labels-spend-so-much-on-marketing-to-the-younger-demographic-with-the-lowest-disposable-income-instead-of-adults-with-a-larger-disposable-income/

Henry

Skeptrick
12-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Since I haven't seen them mentioned, Ange have but out several albums in the last decade that are, IMO, at least as good as their 'classics'.

NogbadTheBad
12-24-2012, 09:03 AM
It's rather more complicated than that: http://www.themusicvoid.com/2008/05/why-do-record-labels-spend-so-much-on-marketing-to-the-younger-demographic-with-the-lowest-disposable-income-instead-of-adults-with-a-larger-disposable-income/

HenryInteresting article

spacefreak
12-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Radio wants to appeal to a younger group of people. People with discretionary income. The 18-34 age group. They are more likely to buy music and what they buy is rap, modern country and modern rock.

Unfortunately for the labels, they do not buy music at all... they download.

JIF
01-01-2013, 10:22 PM
I would agree with Pearl Jam. "Backspacer" (which I think is their most recent) is an excellent album. Another one from that era would be Alice In Chains. Their comeback album "Black Turns Into Blue" is as good as anything they did in their hey day IMO.

Steve SlyIt's actually Black Gives Way To Blue, Steve. Btw, has anyone heard the new AiC song called Hollow? It's one dark and heavy mofo. I do like Black Gives Way To Blue, but I wish there was less Jerry and more William. Btw, what do people think of Kiss' last two studio albums? I have purchased both within the last few months, but haven't got a chance to listen to them.

bill g
01-02-2013, 12:44 PM
2012 seemed to see a lot of artists trying to keep the flame alive. The Tony Banks (Six Pieces for Orchestra) was nearly groundbreaking in a sense, but because of that, not for everyone. Stunningly beautiful though. Speaking of Genesis, Ant Phillips released two albums, but, while pleasant, neither were particularly groundbreaking. Steve Hackett had the Genesis revisited project-the level of musician involvement amongst the prog collective was pretty cool. Same goes for the Billy Sherwood 'Prog Collective' thing, although that was a bit AOR for many. Of course, it was good to see Yes try to do something interesting, even though not really groundbreaking. And Steve Howe's solo album was quite good as well.

JIF
03-13-2013, 01:46 AM

Steve SlyI bought Backspacer the day it came out, and I only just recently pulled it out to listen to for the first time, and I agree with you. Nice to hear the boys in Pearl Jam having some fun.

JIF
03-13-2013, 01:51 AM
Forgot to mention that I did get around to listening to those two recent Kiss albums, and they're great. Nice to see Kiss get back to their early '70s roots. I read an online article taken from a recent interview with Journey's Jonathan Cain, and he said that Journey probably aren't going to release any more album because the last one wasn't a big seller.

JIF
03-13-2013, 01:57 AM
Th

I think the key idea is "ground-breaking." CttE was a ground-breaking album. There had never been anything like it. Also, we (most of us here) were young and impressionable. It made a big impact on us. So, no matter how good FFH is, it will never have the impact on us that CttE did.

So, no matter how good a new Yes album is, or Genesis, or whoever; it will never be as ground-breaking. And if it were it would have to be in a whole new genre just as Progressive Rock was at the time.

And I just wanted to make another point: on "classic rock" radio stations (remember radio?) you never hear new music by classic bands. So, you will hear Roundabout or LDR, but not anything off Fly From Here. Same with Stones, etc. You'll hear the same Zep songs over and over, but nothing new from Robert Plant even though some of the stuff from his last couple of CDs is right up there with classic Zep stuff. 90% of the listening public just want to hear the same old stuff they loved in high school.Some parts of your statement aren't entirely true. Songs from the recent ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Robert Plant and Van Halen albums are played on my local rock station(95.5 KLOS). They also played The Who song Real Good Looking Boy from their last greatest hits album. The last two Rolling Stones comps had new songs, and they were also played.

Wilton Said...
03-13-2013, 08:48 PM
I think some bands need to almost force their new material on audiences. Iron Maiden has done that with a few of their tours. The Matter of Life and Death tour had the band playing the whole album start to finish, then added on a few classics. Their summer tour where Dream Theater opened had them playing mostly newer material from the reunion albums. I enjoyed these shows and it was good to see Maiden taking chances on their newer material. Saying that, they do balance out their tours of new stuff with alternating tours of older stuff such as their Early years Tour where they only played material from their 1st 4 albums.

Wilton

SteveSly
03-14-2013, 11:38 PM
I bought Backspacer the day it came out, and I only just recently pulled it out to listen to for the first time, and I agree with you. Nice to hear the boys in Pearl Jam having some fun.

Yes, I agree. They do sound like they are having fun on this one and it is probably about as "upbeat" as you are ever going to get from these guys. Kind of refreshing to my ears.

Steve Sly

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
03-15-2013, 03:02 AM
Well, the point is that an artist's fans want them to continue to release quality music.indeed... I saw this thread title and tried to think of some 70s artists who have released a *quality* album in the past 5 years... the only one that immediately springs to mind is Stanley Clarke's last album The Stanley Clarke Band with Hiromi guesting. It is quite solid and engaging without being too much of a rehash of his excellent, first three electric 70s albums.

trying to think of any more artists from the 70s who have released a *quality* album in the past 5 years...

... hmm ... I'm sure there must be some!?

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
03-15-2013, 03:06 AM
Santana's Shape Shifter is actually the best thing since Amigos or Oneness/Swing Of DelightAH! I shoulda read past page one... *that* is another good example!

though Blues For Salvador is a bright spot during that uninspired time period

The Fantastic Progo Rican
03-15-2013, 11:20 AM
The last Journey album, at least for me it felt like they just did it "for the sake of putting something new out" and also the fact that they cut that "Walmart exclusive" deal in my opinion hurt the sales.

Frumious B
03-15-2013, 11:24 AM
The new Bowie album is the freakin' bomb, darned near an instant classic as far as I'm concerned.

The Fantastic Progo Rican
03-15-2013, 11:33 AM
The new Bowie album is the freakin' bomb, darned near an instant classic as far as I'm concerned.

I was going to say it but you stole my thunder :) I'm on my third spin this morning and is really growing on me...

Mr Rael
03-15-2013, 11:35 AM
It can be hard to talk about new albums when there is a constant barrage of re-mastered cd's hitting the stores. For example, I've been listening to the re-mastered King Crimson cd's and they sound better than ever. I've been buying stuff from the 70's because of the additional material (bonus Tracks), as well as the re-mastered music. Personally I liked Fly from Here, and hope that Yes produces new music, but given a choice I'd probably get the old stuff with bonus tracks.

Frumious B
03-15-2013, 11:38 AM
I was going to say it but you stole my thunder :) I'm on my third spin this morning and is really growing on me...

Believe it or not, Bowie may be on the verge of scoring his first ever US number one album. The Next Day is evidently locked in a tight battle with the new Bon Jovi album for the top slot.

JIF
03-15-2013, 04:42 PM
The last Journey album, at least for me it felt like they just did it "for the sake of putting something new out" and also the fact that they cut that "Walmart exclusive" deal in my opinion hurt the sales.Not true. Journey put out a new one, because Neal wanted Journey to rock hard.

SteveSly
03-16-2013, 04:16 PM
The last Journey album, at least for me it felt like they just did it "for the sake of putting something new out" and also the fact that they cut that "Walmart exclusive" deal in my opinion hurt the sales.

Are you sure you are not talking about "Revalation" from 2008? That is the one with the Walmart deal. I don't agree with your comment about "sake of putting something new out", but the album is rather pedestrian to my ears. Their most recent album "Eclipse" from 2011 is much better, and is probably one of the most hard rocking albums the band has ever made.

Steve Sly

JIF
03-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Are you sure you are not talking about "Revalation" from 2008? That is the one with the Walmart deal. I don't agree with your comment about "sake of putting something new out", but the album is rather pedestrian to my ears. Their most recent album "Eclipse" from 2011 is much better, and is probably one of the most hard rocking albums the band has ever made.

Steve SlyI agree, Eclipse does not sound like Journey "put out an album for the sake of putting one out". It sounds like Journey(or Just Neal) had a specific goal in mind, which was to prove that Journey didn't just do prom songs.

Frumious B
03-17-2013, 09:10 AM
I finally heard Johnny Marr's solo album, The Messenger, and it's a really fun listen. It's not gonna blow your mind, but it's like listening to college radio in the late 80s and early 90s...lots of Smiths (obviously), Stone Roses and New Order in there so if you like those bands then check it out.

JIF
04-06-2013, 12:14 AM
I would like to give a shout out to Black Gives Way To Blue by Alice In Chains. I listened to this CD today. I hadn't heard since the day I bought it on release day. I think that it holds up well. I don't think it's a Jerry Cantrell solo album(as someone on Amazon put it). I hear more of William than I thought I did. The way that him and Jerry harmonize reminds me that way that Layne and Jerry use to harmonize. It's cool that AiC brought the metal and the sludge. Love that they got Elton John to play piano on the title track. Can't wait for The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here.

SteveSly
04-06-2013, 12:27 AM
I would like to give a shout out to Black Gives Way To Blue by Alice In Chains. I listened to this CD today. I hadn't heard since the day I bought it on release day. I think that it holds up well. I don't think it's a Jerry Cantrell solo album(as someone on Amazon put it). I hear more of William than I thought I did. The way that him and Jerry harmonize reminds me that way that Layne and Jerry use to harmonize. It's cool that AiC brought the metal and the sludge. Love that they got Elton John to play piano on the title track. Can't wait for The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here.

Agreed, it is a great album. Right up there with thier best IMO.

Steve Sly

JIF
04-06-2013, 12:32 AM
Agreed, it is a great album. Right up there with thier best IMO.

Steve SlyI do like the self-titled "tripod" CD, but(to me) BGWTB sounds more like Dirt and Facelift(With a few acoustic moments from the Sap and Jar Of Flies eps thrown in).

Neil Palfreyman
04-06-2013, 02:03 AM
That's a really sad statement from Steve Howe; he's effectively admitting that Yes have turned into their own tribute band. They used to be my favourite band but I stopped taking them seriously many, many years ago :(

As others have pointed out there are plenty ofbands that have been around the block but are still putting out material that's as good as their halcyon day albums. Galahad, Pendragon, Rush, Magnum, Fish to add to those already mentioned...

JIF
04-06-2013, 03:59 AM
That's a really sad statement from Steve Howe; he's effectively admitting that Yes have turned into their own tribute band. They used to be my favourite band but I stopped taking them seriously many, many years ago :(

As others have pointed out there are plenty ofbands that have been around the block but are still putting out material that's as good as their halcyon day albums. Galahad, Pendragon, Rush, Magnum, Fish to add to those already mentioned...As has been said many times, tribute bands don't have ANY actual members of the band that they pay tribute to. Also, "tribute" bands don't put out new music. Just because a band's album doesn't contain music that you don't like doesn't mean they're a tribute band. Yes, I know bands like Journey and Yes has singers from tribute bands, but(in the case of Yes) both their singers are in bands that have recorded original music. Also, when did Steve Howe make that statement you claim that he has made? That seems like something that the pre-2011 Steve Howe would've said, because Yes hadn't recorded any new music for almost ten years. If anyone is their own tribute band, I would say it's either Boston or Kansas. Actually, Kansas and Styx. Tom Scholz has been saying that Boston has been recording a new album for awhile, while Styx and Kansas don't seem to want to make new music. Apparently(according a recently Jonathan Cain interview with Classic Rock magazine), Journey is not going to record any more albums due to the poor chart performance of Eclipse.

Neil Palfreyman
04-06-2013, 06:43 AM
Also, when did Steve Howe make that statement you claim that he has made? That seems like something that the pre-2011 Steve Howe would've said, because Yes hadn't recorded any new music for almost ten years.

Nov 2012. Didn't you read the interview on the link in the first post on this thread?

JIF
04-06-2013, 07:01 AM
Nov 2012. Didn't you read the interview on the link in the first post on this thread?I just thought you were another person that was bashing Yes. Sorry for being harsh. Steve is saying that no one cares about new music by older bands. He used Aerosmith, The Who, The Rolling Stones as examples, and said that their current albums don't sell well. However, he didn't mention Van Halen, whose newest record(A Different Kind Of Truth) sold really well and also got good reviews. Man, these musicians are really confusing. I just don't think that any act still making music is a tribute act. It's like when various members of Black Sabbath went back and forth saying that there wouldn't be a new Sabbath after Ronnie James Dio died. Then, you have this 2012 interview with Mr. Howe saying new albums by old bands don't sell. According it Henry Potts and an recent online interview with Jon Davison, Yes are writing material for a new album due out next year.

Neil Palfreyman
04-06-2013, 07:23 AM
No worries! :) They were my favourite band for about 30 years and I still listen to their old material. But since I discovered that there are so many other bands putting out new, high quality Prog I have very little time for them these days.

bondegezou
04-06-2013, 08:17 AM

Don't your comments rather prove the point Howe is making?

As others have pointed out there are plenty ofbands that have been around the block but are still putting out material that's as good as their halcyon day albums. Galahad, Pendragon, Rush, Magnum, Fish to add to those already mentioned...

Uh-hm... opinion may vary on your particular choices... but, yes, many acts continue to put out great music.

Henry

Neil Palfreyman
04-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Don't your comments rather prove the point Howe is making?

No. It's the other way around. I stopped taking them seriously because (using Howe's words) " I don't know how we did it back then. It doesn't work the same way now." - ie they lost their ability to write great songs some years ago.

Uh-hm... opinion may vary on your particular choices... but, yes, many acts continue to put out great music.

Of course tastes are always going to vary - my point is that there is plenty of good, new progressive stuff out there. It's not necessary to live in the past.

polmico
04-06-2013, 11:18 AM
In a move that will make all fans of Fly from Here happy, post-punk awesomers (sure, why not) have taken material written 30 years ago and recorded a new album with it. It is quite good.

Also, there are mellotrons.

JIF
05-25-2013, 11:28 PM
The website Sea Of Tranquility has a four review posted for All Hell Breaks Loose, which is the upcoming album from Black Star Riders. In cause you didn't know, Black Star Riders is a reformation of Thin Lizzy. I hope to get this CD at Best Buy sometime this week. I might even spring for the deluxe edition.

JIF
05-25-2013, 11:44 PM

HenryWhat's the progress on that, Henry?

bondegezou
05-26-2013, 03:06 AM
What's the progress on that, Henry?

The band are going into the studio in the autumn, possibly September, with a release planned March/April-ish 2014.

Henry

Harbottle
05-26-2013, 03:29 AM
The website Sea Of Tranquility has a four review posted for All Hell Breaks Loose, which is the upcoming album from Black Star Riders. In cause you didn't know, Black Star Riders is a reformation of Thin Lizzy. I hope to get this CD at Best Buy sometime this week. I might even spring for the deluxe edition.

It's not really a 'reformation' of Thin Lizzy, it's an 'evolution' of the current touring version of 'Thin Lizzy'. Downey and Wharton ducked out and it's just Scott Gorham and a few other chaps.

It sounds like Thin Lizzy in places, though.

JIF
05-26-2013, 03:52 AM
The band are going into the studio in the autumn, possibly September, with a release planned March/April-ish 2014.

HenryThat's great news, Henry. Will Trevor Horn produce?

It's not really a 'reformation' of Thin Lizzy, it's an 'evolution' of the current touring version of 'Thin Lizzy'. Downey and Wharton ducked out and it's just Scott Gorham and a few other chaps.

It sounds like Thin Lizzy in places, though.I know the whole Lizzy history, I just worded it wrong. It sounds like Thin Lizzy in places? I don't like the sound of that. Unless you're only referring Blues Ain't So Bad(which SOT says sounds like a Robin Trower song).

bondegezou
05-26-2013, 04:01 AM
That's great news, Henry. Will Trevor Horn produce?

Not yet known. The band would like him, but rumours suggest they're having difficulty scheduling him - the guy remains in huge demand - with Weidner the most likely alternative.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Weidner as the producer with Horn having some sort of executive producer role.

Henry

JIF
05-26-2013, 04:04 AM
Not yet known. The band would like him, but rumours suggest they're having difficulty scheduling him - the guy remains in huge demand - with Weidner the most likely alternative.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Weidner as the producer with Horn having some sort of executive producer role.

HenryIs Trevor busy working on the next Seal CD? ;)

Harbottle
05-26-2013, 04:39 AM
That's great news, Henry. Will Trevor Horn produce?

I know the whole Lizzy history, I just worded it wrong. It sounds like Thin Lizzy in places? I don't like the sound of that. Unless you're only referring Blues Ain't So Bad(which SOT says sounds like a Robin Trower song).

The vocals sound a bit like Lynott in places, and some of the songs really do have a Thin Lizzy vibe about them in terms of the dual guitar and general arrangements. Others have a really crap 'Celtic' folk thing going on.

JIF
05-26-2013, 04:58 AM
The vocals sound a bit like Lynott in places, and some of the songs really do have a Thin Lizzy vibe about them in terms of the dual guitar and general arrangements. Others have a really crap 'Celtic' folk thing going on.Crap 'Celtic' folk? Is that a new musical genre? ;) You do that Thin Lizzy was from Ireland, and some of the their songs did have folk influence in the music and lyrics? Also, Whiskey In The Jar(an old Irish folk song) was their first hit. Therefore, the folk influence is inescapable, because it's in their DNA.

Rand Kelly
05-26-2013, 05:24 AM

Jeezus, I love Steve,but he should never be allowed to speak to anyone by himself,he always throws Yes under the bus in some way or another.

Harbottle
05-26-2013, 05:32 AM
Crap 'Celtic' folk? Is that a new musical genre? ;) You do that Thin Lizzy was from Ireland, and some of the their songs did have folk influence in the music and lyrics? Also, Whiskey In The Jar(an old Irish folk song) was their first hit. Therefore, the folk influence is inescapable, because it's in their DNA.

Yes, I am aware that Thin Lizzy was from The Republic of Ireland.

But this band has no original members of TL in it. Most of them are American, with Ricky Warwick being from Northern Ireland.

JIF
05-26-2013, 05:54 AM
Yes, I am aware that Thin Lizzy was from The Republic of Ireland.

But this band has no original members of TL in it. Most of them are American, with Ricky Warwick being from Northern Ireland.What you say is true, but the intention of BSR was to carry on the spirit of Thin Lizzy. They were just prohibited from using the name by Phil Lynott's estate. All members of BSR were members of some version of Thin Lizzy, except for drummer Jimmy DeGrasso. So, they have a right to sound like Lizzy.

Harbottle
05-26-2013, 06:16 AM
What you say is true, but the intention of BSR was to carry on the spirit of Thin Lizzy. They were just prohibited from using the name by Phil Lynott's estate. All members of BSR were members of some version of Thin Lizzy, except for drummer Jimmy DeGrasso. So, they have a right to sound like Lizzy.

I can't be arsed to argue with you about it, but this review from The Guardian (A UK newspaper) pretty much sums up what I feel about the album. If you like TL, you'll probably enjoy it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/may/23/black-star-riders-all-hell-review

JIF
05-26-2013, 06:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEWPbi3Jtm4Can't wait for Black Star Riders. Love the vibe of this track.

Harbottle
05-26-2013, 02:09 PM
The whole album is streaming here:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/music_and_videos/black-star-riders-album-stream/

bRETT
05-26-2013, 05:01 PM
What you say is true, but the intention of BSR was to carry on the spirit of Thin Lizzy. They were just prohibited from using the name by Phil Lynott's estate. All members of BSR were members of some version of Thin Lizzy, except for drummer Jimmy DeGrasso. So, they have a right to sound like Lizzy.

True, but only one was in Lizzy with Lynott, and most of these guys aren't Irish. Sounds surprisingly decent considering.

JIF
05-26-2013, 10:08 PM
True, but only one was in Lizzy with Lynott, and most of these guys aren't Irish. Sounds surprisingly decent considering.Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson weren't Irish either.

Scott Bails
05-26-2013, 10:10 PM

Henry

Henry - do you know who Horn has been working with? I had no idea that he was still producing so much.

bondegezou
05-27-2013, 04:56 AM
Henry - do you know who Horn has been working with? I had no idea that he was still producing so much.

See http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnalum.htm#horn He's just produced some of Renato Zero's latest album, which went #1 in Italy. There's been recent work for Donna Lewis, Spector, The Overtones, and Dog is Dead. As above, he's currently working on Seal's new album.

Henry

Harbottle
05-27-2013, 05:23 AM
Scott Gorham and Brian Robertson weren't Irish either.

Yup. And the original lineup was not only multi-racial, but also featured members from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland - which at the time was probably quite controversial. And Lynott was actually born in Birmingham, in England.

I'm off out now to see if any of my local music emporiums have this album for sale, the streaming has whetted my appetite. I still quite like buying music from real shops. Gives me an excuse to browse and see what else is new.

Mick
05-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Just for the record, "Time Machine", a new album from Nektar, will be released on June 18th.
Billy Sherwood plays bass and produced it with Roye Albrighton and the band will be playing some of it on their tour with Wishbone Ash next month. Like most older bands, the line-up has changed over the years, but the Nektar name keeps on going.

Scott Bails
05-27-2013, 07:14 PM
See http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnalum.htm#horn He's just produced some of Renato Zero's latest album, which went #1 in Italy. There's been recent work for Donna Lewis, Spector, The Overtones, and Dog is Dead. As above, he's currently working on Seal's new album.

Henry

Thank you, sir.

mozo-pg
06-13-2013, 07:37 AM
The Cult's newest release, Choice of Weapons, is a really solid effort with their signature songs but still modern.

Any fans?

bRETT
06-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Yup. And the original lineup was not only multi-racial, but also featured members from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland - which at the time was probably quite controversial. And Lynott was actually born in Birmingham, in England..

Okay, but most of the new guys are Americans who have no connection to Lynott other than being in this lineup.

JIF
06-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Okay, but most of the new guys are Americans who have no connection to Lynott other than being in this lineup.Ricky Warwick is Irish.

PotatoSolution
06-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Not sure if IQ is considered "old" (especially compared to the acts from the 60s and 70s), but I believe "Dark Matter" and "Frequency" are the best records of their career.

Big Ears
06-19-2013, 03:33 AM
Time Machine by Nektar

gibberish
06-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Not sure if IQ is considered "old" (especially compared to the acts from the 60s and 70s), but I believe "Dark Matter" and "Frequency" are the best records of their career.

Dittos Here

JIF
06-27-2013, 05:02 PM
I know this album isn't exactly that old, but I did get Stiff Upper Lip from AC/DC. When I started liking newer stuff by older artists, I have wanted to get this one for a long time, because I like the title track, Safe In New York City, and Satellite Blues. In fact, here's a clip of AC/DC performing the title track on SNL with The Rock hosting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6aRDlt5Yds
Sorry, could only find the audio, but you all get the idea. What do you all think of Stiff Upper Lip?

SteveSly
06-27-2013, 06:03 PM
What do you all think of Stiff Upper Lip?

Not a huge fan of it and think it is one of the band’s weaker albums. “Safe In New York City” and “Satellite Blues” are the two best songs on the album IMO. The rest is very average AC / DC fare to my ears. I think their more recent album “Black Ice” is much much better.

Speaking of “Stiff Upper Lip” they opened their world tour for that one in Grand Rapids Michigan and I was there. They rented out the arena for a week of rehearsals prior to the first show and the band were hanging around downtown and seen at various places all week. It was the first time they had toured in quite a few years and they were really on fire.

Steve Sly

JIF
06-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Not a huge fan of it and think it is one of the band’s weaker albums. “Safe In New York City” and “Satellite Blues” are the two best songs on the album IMO. The rest is very average AC / DC fare to my ears. I think their more recent album “Black Ice” is much much better.

Speaking of “Stiff Upper Lip” they opened their world tour for that one in Grand Rapids Michigan and I was there. They rented out the arena for a week of rehearsals prior to the first show and the band were hanging around downtown and seen at various places all week. It was the first time they had toured in quite a few years and they were really on fire.

Steve SlyYikes!! Hope I don't have to get a refund on this one.

JIF
06-27-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm digging Stiff Upper Lip by AC lightning bolt DC. Great bass work by Cliff Williams on the verses of Satellite Blues. Great groove and rap delivery by Mr. Johnson on the verses of Damned. Come And Get It reminds me of old school ZZ Top for some reason. I have heard Meltdown somewhere before, but can't remember where. Was it on the radio? I love the more bluesy direction that this album took. It's a gem.

TheH
07-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Anyone heard this one?

http://www.shinybeast.nl/public/img/I00389058.jpg

Big Ears
07-07-2013, 09:40 AM
What is it?

TheH
07-07-2013, 09:46 AM
What is it?

New EP by belgiums "Irish Coffee".

Guess Who
07-07-2013, 10:07 AM
belgiums "Irish Coffee".

Stylistically, Uriah Heep at their early 70's period.

TheH
07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Agora are back, from their 3rd Album Ichinen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf9ReBFp_mg

Vic2012
07-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I forgot about Black Star Riders. I like what I'm hearing. If I see it I'll buy it.

Vic2012
07-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by JIF
What do you all think of Stiff Upper Lip?

I dig it. I like Ballbreaker a little more, but SUL rocks pretty good. Their last album, "Black Ice" hasn't aged well.

emperorken
07-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Yes' Fly From Here, new Nektar and new Flash- none of them do anything for me. And I was a big fan of all those bands in the 70's.

IMO, the only recent album by a 70's prog band that was really good was last year's release by Sebastian Hardie.

SteveSly
07-07-2013, 01:14 PM
I forgot about Black Star Riders. I like what I'm hearing. If I see it I'll buy it.

They are going to be on "That Metal Show" on VH-1 Classic this Saturday night.

Steve Sly

JIF
07-07-2013, 03:29 PM
I forgot about Black Star Riders. I like what I'm hearing. If I see it I'll buy it.You should definitely. To me, it's just another killer Thin Lizzy album. Ricky Warwick sounds like Phil Lynott on a lot of the songs. He even sounds like James Hetfield on some parts, too. It's funny that when I checked the Best Buy store locator, it said that they didn't have the BSR CD at all, but they had the deluxe edition at the one I went to. Nice interview on the DVD.

Big Ears
07-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Stylistically, Uriah Heep at their early 70's period.

I like early Uriah Heep, so perhaps I should track this down.

sherrynoland
07-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Yes' Fly From Here, new Nektar and new Flash- none of them do anything for me. And I was a big fan of all those bands in the 70's.

IMO, the only recent album by a 70's prog band that was really good was last year's release by Sebastian Hardie.

The new Flash CD has gotten excellent reviews, Ken, and was three years in the making. Some have called it their best ever. Did you hear the whole album? This is definitely a personal taste thing!

If anyone hasn't seen the new Flash or heard tracks yet, go to their facebook page—https://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter

bRETT
07-08-2013, 05:44 PM
The new Flash CD has gotten excellent reviews, Ken, and was three years in the making. Some have called it their best ever. Did you hear the whole album? This is definitely a personal taste thing!

If anyone hasn't seen the new Flash or heard tracks yet, go to their facebook page—https://www.facebook.com/FlashFeaturingRayBennettColinCarter

Not everybody here is pro-mp3, but a few may be interested to know that the digital album goes for $5.99 on Amazon.

emperorken
07-08-2013, 06:29 PM

I've heard several tracks which left me somewhat indifferent. I don't do facebook, but in the interest of fairness, I might risk $4.41 of my emusic currency on the album.

klothos
07-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Wonderful thread <applause!>

Gonna' have to check out some of these!

I have nothing to add - well, at least not Prog anyway. OMDs new album is excellent but, of course, that is synth-pop

Vic2012
07-08-2013, 06:41 PM
They are going to be on "That Metal Show" on VH-1 Classic this Saturday night.

Steve Sly

I'll hafta watch it on Youtube. I don't have cable (it's cable but it's really basic and local, so not VH1 or ESPN).

Ricky Warwick sounds like Phil Lynott on a lot of the songs.

Yeah I noticed that too. I played a few tracks on Youtube. I heard "Judas." Great song. Very Lizzy, very Irish. I checked Bust Buy and nothin.' It was a bust. I'll probably have to order on Amazon (along with a few Sabbath CDs :bad).

marltonfan
07-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Prog never grabs you on the first listening, it's with multiple listening its majestry and beauty is revealed.
Prog needs a chance to resonate.
Marltonfan

klothos
07-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Prog never grabs you on the first listening, it's with multiple listening its majestry and beauty is revealed.
Prog needs a chance to resonate.
Marltonfan

Ha Ha - So not true - at least, it wasn't for me :D My first introduction to Prog was Ethos "Open Up" album (which I have championed in a few threads already). I bought it brand spanking new in a cut-out bin in the early 80s for 25 cents - only because the back photo showed the bass player (Brad Stephenson) playing an Alembic. i was very young but I had started playing bass by this time and Alembics mesmerized me when they showed up in photos. At that time, I was musically illiterate and just liked whatever I was hearing on pop singles stations or Top 40 Radio. I, not only loved the music but, loved the style upon first listen and - at that time - I had yet to immerse myself in the heavyweights in Yes, Rush, Nektar, etc... :D

bigbassdrum
07-09-2013, 08:25 AM
"That Bruno Mars fellow released a nice album, and I luv the new Maroon 5" - Keith Richards

Oh, you meant new albums released by old artists, not old artists commenting on new albums in general ...

Nevermind

sherrynoland
07-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by emperorken
"Yes' Fly From Here, new Nektar and new Flash- none of them do anything for me. And I was a big fan of all those bands in the 70's.

IMO, the only recent album by a 70's prog band that was really good was last year's release by Sebastian Hardie."

Speaking of "OLD" artists with new albums, how "old" do these guys look? Remember, they're contemporary with Chris Squire and Steve Howe—a couple of years younger. This 2010 video has lousy sound and it's the first run-through with new lineup so a bit rough, but how do they look/sound to those of you who saw them in the 70's? I think they're gorgeous and as powerful as ever. I didn't get to see them live in the 70's—met them just after the break-up. Can't wait to see them this time around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OYBrk3_8M

Scott Bails
07-13-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm waiting to see if Ms. Noland can write a post that's not about Flash. ;)

sherrynoland
07-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Sorry, I don't know much else, and though it's fun to hang out here, I don't have much time. I'm only sharing what I know about Flash. Would you like me to stop?

NogbadTheBad
07-13-2013, 05:37 PM
I don't hold out much hope, she was called out on carpet bombing about Flash on PA.

Scott Bails
07-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Sorry, I don't know much else, and though it's fun to hang out here, I don't have much time. I'm only sharing what I know about Flash. Would you like me to stop?

No, it's great getting the info.

But the info without other contributions could be regarded as spam.

Know what I mean?

It's a lot of fun hanging out here. It's even more fun when you contribute to other conversations.

Clepsydra
07-13-2013, 06:06 PM
the info without other contributions could be regarded as spam.

Calling yourself a "Studmuffin" could also be regarded as spam. :lol;)

Scott Bails
07-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Calling yourself a "Studmuffin" could also be regarded as spam. :lol;)

Maybe, if that was all I talked about. ;)

Clepsydra
07-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Maybe, if that was all I talked about. ;)

:)

JIF
01-04-2014, 02:58 AM
Bump. I recently got the Complete Albums Collection box set by Judas Priest from Amazon for Christmas. Last night, I listened to their concept album, Nostradamus. Tonight, I decided to listen to Angel Of Retribution. I did buy Nostradamus the day it came out, but never listened to it(some of the heavier songs turned me off). I sold all my Priest CDs to get the box set. Now, I know that Angel Of Retribution is ten years old, but it's still considered a new album because it was released after the peak of Priest. Angel Of Retribution kicks ass!! Halford can still sing and scream, and the riffs are heavy. Nostradamus is a grand statement with some orchestral passages and quite interludes, but it's still Priest. Surprised that they didn't do an album like this earlier. I miss K.K, but I'm excited to hear what Richie can do in the studio. According to a recent article I read on the Ultimate Classic Rock website, new Priest music is expected this year.

SteveSly
01-04-2014, 03:10 AM
Bump. I recently got the Complete Albums Collection box set by Judas Priest from Amazon for Christmas. Last night, I listened to their concept album, Nostradamus. Tonight, I decided to listen to Angel Of Retribution. I did buy Nostradamus the day it came out, but never listened to it(some of the heavier songs turned me off). I sold all my Priest CDs to get the box set. Now, I know that Angel Of Retribution is ten year old, but it's still considered a new album because it was released after the peak of Priest. Angel Of Retribution kicks ass!! Halford can still sing and scream, and the riffs are heavy. Nostradamus is a grand statement with some orchestral passages and quite interludes, but it's still Priest. Surprised that they didn't do an album like this earlier. I miss K.K, but I'm excited to hear what Richie can do in the studio. According to a recent article I read on the Ultimate Classic Rock website, new Priest music is expected this year.

I don't have "Nostradamus", but agree that "Angel Of Retribution" kicks ass.

Steve Sly

JIF
01-04-2014, 03:26 AM
I don't have "Nostradamus", but agree that "Angel Of Retribution" kicks ass.

Steve SlyYeah!! I thought that my head was going to explode from all that heavy riffage. Man, Scott sure beat the crap out of his drums!!

TheLoony
01-05-2014, 01:36 PM
I listened to Nostradamus once and that was too much. I wouldn't even download this one. On par with Operation:Mindcrime 2 and I'm not going through that experience again, trying to make myself like something with repeated listens. If it sucks that bad upon first listen, I'm not going back.

Angel, though, rocks, with the exception of Loch Ness, IIRC. Been a while, I think that's the tune.

JIF
01-07-2014, 01:21 AM
I got ZZ Top's Rhythmeen today at Barnes & Noble for $4.99. I know that's fairly old by 15, but it's considered past their prime. I saw it reviewed on a YouTube show called Music Worth Buying. They gave it a glowing review, so I decided to buy it. It sounds like classic ZZ Top, but with a modern twist. No synths, though. This thing rocks and grooves like a bitch.