PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones at Concerts

prglvr
11-21-2012, 10:36 AM
OK..here's a question for you...
Other than the obvious photo/video taking at concerts, why is is that some people cannot stay off their phones at concerts?
I was at the Rush concert at Gibson Amphitheater last Monday. Great show, and the crowd was into it. Except, the four twenty-something females in the row in front of me, who spent almost the ENTIRE concert texting, tweeting, etc. (When they weren't making beer runs or I assume going to the bathroom because of same.)
Pay 100 bucks or so to see a show, drive there, spend more money on merchandise, then don't pay attention to the show. I don't get it!

80s were ok
11-21-2012, 10:47 AM
there were four 20-something females together at a Rush concert? And you are complaining???? Who the fuck cares what they were doing!

Dave (in MA)
11-21-2012, 11:39 AM
A coworker tells me about his college-age daughter who goes out with her friends, and they'll often sit around a table at a fast food place and spend their time texting - usually to each other. I don't get it either.

markwoll
11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
Folks like that seem to be deathly afraid that if they disconnect and enjoy one thing exclusively all their friends will forget them.
I usually get a group behind me that are having a reunion of sorts and talk through the whole show.

mark

ak85lp
11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
It is sad but these people are addicted to what is going on in the background. I ride a motorcycle so I have to pay extra attention to the road and I would say at least 90 % of the texting drivers I see are females from 16-30 years old. Most people would be in bad shape if hydro was down for a week but these people would be devastated if the cell service went down!

roddenberry
11-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Funny you mention Rush. I was last month at the Bell Center in Montreal to see Rush with my friend and I was literally surrounded by a sea of people holding smartphones at the end of their arm... Even my friend pulled out his iPhone and "captured" a few exerpts... I gave him a swift kick in the calf because he was blocking me. He looked at me and realised he was doing the exact thing we often complained of at shows... LOL!

Robert

Sean
11-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Love them! Like a sea of little stars, twinkling at you. X)

robh
11-21-2012, 12:10 PM
People texting while driving. They should be shot. Or at banned from driving. Or banned from texting.

Anyway, I don't care if people are texting at concerts as they aren't disturbing anyone really. I get upset by people talking through gigs.

Mister Triscuits
11-21-2012, 12:39 PM

"My god...it's full of iPhones!"

ItalProgRules
11-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Because they have the attention spans of tree sparrows.

True story: just last weekend I was court-ordered to take a driving course to avoid points on my license (yes, I am a leadfoot!.) The instructor's opening words were "You are here by order of the court. Cell phones OFF. If I even see one in your hand, whether I see you texting or not, just if I see it in your hand, you will be tossed out, lose your fee and have to go back to court, plead again, sign up for another class and sit through this again.

Sure enough, with 45 minutes left to go in a 4 1/2 hour course, this punk-ass 20-something in the front row, who had worn his pajamas to class, sitting right in front of the instructor-starts texting on his smart phone. The instructor tossed him.

So, because Captain Estupido couldn't wait 45 damn minutes to start texting, he lost his 35.00 fee, has to spend another half day in court, re-sign up and then waste another saturday afternoon in class.

Progtopia
11-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Eh. I figure it's their money. What's way worse to me is people who sing along for every song.

ForeverAutumn
11-21-2012, 02:33 PM
If I had to choose between texting and talking (or singing) I'd choose texting. I don't care what you do at a concert as long as you aren't blocking my view and you're doing it QUIETLY. But, still I would prefer that people just sit and watch and enjoy the show. I also don't understand the people who pay big money for a show and then do something other than sit down and shut up for their own enjoyment.

We saw Gordon Lightfoot last Saturday night. When we walked in we were advised that there would be no audio recordings and no flash photography allowed. If you simply put your phone or camera up and took a quick photo (sans flash) the ushers let it go. But as soon as someone held a device up for more than five seconds the ushers were right on top of them. I must say that it was nice to watch a show without the distraction of people holding their phones up in front of me.

Dodie
11-21-2012, 02:39 PM
I'd rather savour the moment than spend it looking through a lense so later on I can pretend I was savouring the moment. Texting while driving is evil, but only slightly worse than those who experience live music through their smartphone instead of putting it in their pocket and actually having their mind on what's going on. I couldn't give a toss about watching some crappy youtube footage of a gig somebody went to. If the music was any good and they really cared about it, they wouldn't have been watching it through their phones. Just my puritannical opinion, of course.

Still, 20-something women at a Rush gig. Can't be all bad...

-=RTFR666=-
11-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Eh. I figure it's their money. What's way worse to me is people who sing along for every song.

That, and/or stand up and dance throughout the entire show.

firth5th
11-21-2012, 03:32 PM
It's almost not worth it to go to concerts anymore with the bad behavior. People talking with each other or on the phone the whole time (and loudly) , people who have to get up every 15 minutes to go to the bathroom or "get something", people who sing loudly drowning out the real singer on the stage, people who scream in your ear or scream and make noise during quiet acoustic parts, kicking your chair, obese people who spill into your seat, etc etc.

everythingtoexcess
11-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Folks like that seem to be deathly afraid that if they disconnect and enjoy one thing exclusively all their friends will forget them.
I usually get a group behind me that are having a reunion of sorts and talk through the whole show.

mark

Well said. The thing that upsets me is that these people are becoming incapable of being IN the moment. They're always spending 2/3 of their attention on preserving the moment and sharing it with the world. JUST BE THERE AND EXPERIENCE SOMETHING, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!

SuperTed
11-21-2012, 05:15 PM
I'd rather savour the moment than spend it looking through a lense so later on I can pretend I was savouring the moment. Texting while driving is evil, but only slightly worse than those who experience live music through their smartphone instead of putting it in their pocket and actually having their mind on what's going on. I couldn't give a toss about watching some crappy youtube footage of a gig somebody went to. If the music was any good and they really cared about it, they wouldn't have been watching it through their phones. Just my puritannical opinion, of course.

Totally agree - I was at an Orbital gig last weekend and my mate was videoing sections of the show. He swung round to film me and let's just say the soundtrack to his home movie got very interesting very quickly - silly bastard!

Amy
11-21-2012, 05:30 PM
One of several upsides to the small rooms; the audience tends to be captive. Like the good ol' days. :-)

progholio
11-21-2012, 09:10 PM
i had a funny thought last week when i was at an Aussie Pink Floyd concert, i'm sure somebody already thought of this, and if not i'm going to invent it - a Bic lighter app so you could proudly hold your phone in the air and look cool (mind you this is comming from a guy with a flip phone who doesn't give a shit about diddlin' all the time)

then you could take it one step further and have an app that has a virtual joint buning with a bright glowing cherry you could pass around to all of your friends and look really cool.

i guess i was kind of bored during Another Brick pt 2.

Vic2012
11-22-2012, 07:39 AM
...this punk-ass 20-something in the front row, who had worn his pajamas to class, sitting right in front of the instructor-starts texting on his smart phone. The instructor tossed him.
So, because Captain Estupido couldn't wait 45 damn minutes to start texting, he lost his 35.00 fee, has to spend another half day in court, re-sign up and then waste another saturday afternoon in class.

:lol That was funny - "Captain Estupido"

I have no problem with people texting to their heart's content, the problem I have is the constant chime. Some people are a little more considerate and put it on vibrate, but most people have some some loud chime when they get a text.

I don't see this thing getting better, about people with their electronic devices at concerts, cinema's, operas, etc. All you can hope is that people will just be considerate. And concert goers who get distracted very easily (by the slightest movement from anyone) need to just accept that there will always be distractions. Deal with it. If you can't then just get the DVD and watch it at home.

80s were ok
11-22-2012, 10:37 AM
[QUOTE=Vic2012;9207 And concert goers who get distracted very easily (by the slightest movement from anyone) need to just accept that there will always be distractions. Deal with it. If you can't then just get the DVD and watch it at home.[/QUOTE]correct...i don't like being distracted either and constant yakking is my main peeve but I've seen people have a fit just cause someone stands up in front of them to cheer on their favorite band in between songs. I mean come on, it's a freaking concert, have a little fun. Some concert goers are a little to stoic for my tastes. They just sit in there chairs, arms folded with a grimice on there face because someone "bothered" them for 45 seconds.

Vic2012
11-22-2012, 10:47 AM
arms folded with a grimice on there face because someone "bothered" them for 45 seconds.

It's one extreme or the other, and I don't like either.

rapidfirerob
11-22-2012, 03:10 PM
It's emblematic of our times. Cell phones are an extension of people's being. If they don't have their phone in their hand, they get withdrawal symptoms, shake uncontrollably, drool and collapse in a heap on the floor. Texting takes the place of actual communication. There is no pressure as the messages are short and no uncomfortable pauses while talking. I wish there were a way phones could know they were in a car and not allow texting. I bet it could be done. I hate seeing people text in their car. They think they can do it safely. Plus, once again, they're addicted, and do it everywhere.

Trane
11-22-2012, 06:45 PM
It is sad but these people are addicted to what is going on in the background. I ride a motorcycle so I have to pay extra attention to the road and I would say at least 90 % of the texting drivers I see are females from 16-30 years old. Most people would be in bad shape if hydro was down for a week but these people would be devastated if the cell service went down!

It's not just that generation that's hooked to the supposedly smartphones (I don't own anything remotely close to that)... Yesterday at lunch time, there were six people over 45 all doodling with the new toy... I felt sick watching them...

GuitarGeek
11-22-2012, 07:41 PM
People talking at concerts is nothing new. It didn't come into existence with the advent of "unlimited minutes" (the executive who thought of that should be tarred and feathered). I remember back in 97, I think it was, I saw Roy Harper, first comment between to songs to someone in the front row of the audience (who were literally sitting just inches in front of Roy) about how he could "tell you what you've been talking about during each song". Then during the third or fourth song, he literally stopped in mid song and basically told the people who were talking to either be quiet or move to the back of the room because he couldn't perform under those circumstances.

That was one of the first shows where I noticed that, but I've been to many shows since where that's been an issue. I can't comprehend what kind of stupid person pays 50 dollars or more for concert tickets, then ignores the performers. Ya know, if you're going to do that, you can go to any bar or pub (and there's probably a dozen a lot closer to your house than the concert venue) where you only have to pay for the beverages that you drink.

And then if you ask them to be quiet they act like you're the one being rude. I literally had to move at an Eric Johnson because this frat boy was running his mouth during the first couple songs (this after he whined and cried about missing nearly all of Derek Trucks' opening set...gee dude, maybe you should have gotten here at 8:30, since that was the time the concert was scheduled to start). Then after the concert, this is like two hours later, said frat boy decides he's gonna try to pick a fight with me outside the venue. ASSHOLE!!!!

The thing that I've noticed with cell phones is people talking incessantly on them. You'll have people on a city bus, carrying on an argument that needs to be happening in private, over their phone. I saw one driver actually ask a guy who as swearing at someone on his phone to calm down and lose the potty mouth. Or I'll here someone get on their phone and say something like "Oh, I'm on the 41 bus right now, we just crossed Mayfield Road, so I should be there in about 10 minutes". Gee, I wonder how people dealt with that kind of stuff back in the 80's.

And then there was the time I was riding Greyhound to a show, I forget which one it was, and as the bus was pulling into whichever city we were about arrive in, the driver gets on the PA to give the announcements of which gates the riders who were changing buses would have to go to. And some stupid woman is chattering away on her cell phone, to the point the driver literally said, over the PA, "Would you like me to wait until you're done with your call to do this?".

Honestly, what the frell is wrong with people?!

meimjustalawnmower
11-22-2012, 09:29 PM
As long as it doesn't impede my ability to see or hear the show FROM MY SEAT WHILE I AM SITTING, because I WILL hound you until you sit down if you happen to be one of these assholes who insist on standing all night, even though you are in the aisle seat in the front row of the section. If you're choking me to death with your fuckin' hippie patchouli, because you can't be bothered to bathe, or a scented candle, because you ran out of patchouli, then I might return the favor with some beer farts in your direction.

Cams, cellphones, bathroom/beer runs? I got no problem with that.

Jubal
11-22-2012, 10:49 PM
I had a young lady texting on the row in front of me during a movie, keyboard beeps and all. I leaned over and told her she has 5 seconds to put it away or I was going to get the manager. This particular theater has signs stating you will be asked to leave if you text or talk on your phone or device during the movie. They have long dark hallways for that sort of thing. She obviously didn't like it, but she put it away quickly.

meimjustalawnmower
11-23-2012, 12:47 PM
I had a young lady texting on the row in front of me during a movie, keyboard beeps and all. I leaned over and told her she has 5 seconds to put it away or I was going to get the manager. This particular theater has signs stating you will be asked to leave if you text or talk on your phone or device during the movie. They have long dark hallways for that sort of thing. She obviously didn't like it, but she put it away quickly.
Oh absolutely! Movie theaters are a whole different matter. Anything beyond munching on popcorn is intolerable, and while I do agree that cellphones and cams can be annoying at concerts, it's not as bad, as long as I can still see and hear the show. Plus, it's not gonna go away, because there's no means, nor a desire to really enforce a "no cellphone" policy. So the only way to deal with it is to express your displeasure and let it be known that some behaviors are socially unacceptable in certain situations. If it happens enough, you'll see a lot less of that sort of stuff. I'm already noticing this happening. That being said, it's the old school bad behavior such as blocking someone's view, or the drunk dude sitting next to you who's singing every lyric to his girlfriend, which is precisely the reason why I'll never attend a Journey concert.

paythesnuka
11-25-2012, 03:40 PM

I had something similar happen to me at the movies the other night. There was a young lady who was Facebooking all throughout the movie. And the way she had her phone out, the bright screen was pointing toward me and distracting me from the movie. I gave her a chance, but after 10 straight minutes, I went over to her and said "Can you PLEASE point your phone the other direction!"

WHORG
11-25-2012, 05:04 PM
http://www.phonejammer.com/home.php?cat=249

I saw a fellow using one at a recent show here in town - absolutely stunning results !!! Dozens of people shaking their phones . . . looking carefully at the settings, etc . . . then having to actually walk outside the venue to communicate. He had a smaller unit - maybe the size of a small paperback - it worked in a 30' radius with complete jamming -

After he triggered this device about a half dozen times - the cell phone "Use" (texting/calling) just vanished.

People were still taking photos & vids with their phones though - which I have no fucking earthly idea why - - - I can honestly take a better picture with a potato.

rapidfirerob
11-25-2012, 09:49 PM

I saw a fellow using one at a recent show here in town - absolutely stunning results !!! Dozens of people shaking their phones . . . looking carefully at the settings, etc . . . then having to actually walk outside the venue to communicate. He had a smaller unit - maybe the size of a small paperback - it worked in a 30' radius with complete jamming -

After he triggered this device about a half dozen times - the cell phone "Use" (texting/calling) just vanished.

People were still taking photos & vids with their phones though - which I have no fucking earthly idea why - - - I can honestly take a better picture with a potato.
That is excellent! I should get one for my high school diploma students, except they'd either walk out of class to text/take calls or not show up at all.

Dan Roth
11-25-2012, 10:04 PM

Those are pretty cool devices - except that they all are labeled with "Not available to USA due to FCC restrictions"

dgtlman
11-27-2012, 11:03 AM

We used to use lighters back in the day

spellbound
11-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Today I saw a woman pull off the street into the exit of a one-way parking lot while talking on a cell phone. She then proceeded, while still talking on her phone, to turn her car into a handicap parking space. Since she was headed the wrong way and not using both hands to turn, she ended up taking up two parking spaces, both clearly marked handicapped. She did not have a handicap placard or sticker anywhere on her car, and didn't even pretend to be looking for one. She stayed there quite a while, talking on her phone. After she left, a real handicapped man pulled into just one of the handicap spaces. He was not talking on the phone or driving the wrong way. He produced a handicap placard and placed it on his dashboard before exiting his car.

Driving while talking on a cell phone is illegal in this state.
Driving into an exit and driving the wrong way through a private parking lot probably isn't, but it won't make you any friends.
Parking in a handicap space without handicap verification certainly is.

WHORG
12-02-2012, 07:07 PM
http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/

This is an excellent site:

1. You find a badly parked car
2. Take a photo of the car and leave them the pre-printed "notice" on the windshield . . . directing them to the site
3. Upload the photo of the badly parked car with a blistering retort -
4. The car's owner can then go to the site (listed on the "notice"), and see their car's photograph on the site !!!
5. The car's owner can then respond accordingly with a hateful retort of their own !!!

I've printed the PDF's and keep them in my glovebox - will start leaving my old digicam in our car to snap some pics !!!

meimjustalawnmower
12-02-2012, 07:44 PM

2. Take a photo of the car and leave them the pre-printed "notice" on the windshield . . . directing them to the site
4. The car's owner can then go to the site (listed on the "notice"), and see their car's photograph on the site !!!
5. The car's owner can then respond accordingly with a hateful retort of their own !!!

I've printed the PDF's and keep them in my glovebox - will start leaving my old digicam in our car to snap some pics !!!

That's way more fucking work than I'm willing to devote to an "asshole" who can't park their car correctly. Get over it. Move on until you find an open spot.

80s were ok
12-02-2012, 08:44 PM

I've printed the PDF's and keep them in my glovebox - will start leaving my old digicam in our car to snap some pics !!! or you can just keep driving till you find an open spot and continue joyfully with your day. I'm aways amazed at how "health Conscious" everyone appears to be...until it comes to parking spots. People are willing to kill for a parking spot instead of just parking a little further. God forbid, you have to walk back to your car with a bag or two.
I also did check out the site- why do you have download a PDF reader to print out the "Flyer"? Lots of ads too - sounds like just another site designed to generate "clicks" so someone else can make some money.

rapidfirerob
12-03-2012, 02:10 AM
Yes, this whole business of having to have a parking space 10 steps from the door of the store is sad. Walking is actually good for you.
My own family wants me to find a close parking space, which I resist. Oh Well as Peter Green said.

Hunnibee
12-03-2012, 02:46 AM
Wow, what a bunch of old fuddy duddies! I go to concerts to have a good time, so if that means dancing, singing, and texting the set list to a friend, I do them. It depends on the type of show, of course, but I mostly go to see rock bands, which are usually loud and fun anyway. I agree that talking is rude, whether it's in person or on a cell phone, but if it doesn't ruin my experience, they can talk all they want. Otherwise, I don't care what people do at concerts.