PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Phillips thread

Dave (in MA)
11-20-2012, 11:56 PM
There's no other Anthony Phillips thread, so here's one.

When I saw the announcement for PP&P XI I realized that I hadn't picked up Seventh Heaven yet, so I rectified that situation. I was already somewhat familiar with much of it since I'd listened at Andrew Skeet's Soundcloud page here (http://soundcloud.com/skeet-4/sets/phillips-skeet/) and here (http://soundcloud.com/skeet-4/sets/first-flight-skeet-phillips/), collections of tracks that preceded the release of the album.

If anyone else has done the same, you may have noticed discrepancies in some of the titles. I went through the list and was able to identify almost all of the preview tracks within the album, except for 2:

Soundcloud title [Seventh Heaven title]
Phillips & Skeet (http://soundcloud.com/skeet-4/sets/phillips-skeet/)
1. Tangled Clues 3.53 [Shipwreck of St. Paul]
2. Long Road Home 2.32 [same]
3. Our England 3.02 [A Richer Earth]
4. Always and Always 1 3.11 [Forever Always]
5. Fields Of Butterflies 1 4.00 [The Golden Leaves of Fall]
6. Perpetual Motion 2.23 [?]
7. Waltz 2.17 [?]

First Flight (Skeet & Phillips) (http://soundcloud.com/skeet-4/sets/first-flight-skeet-phillips/)
1. Rain on Sag Harbour 1.41 [same]
2. Credo 1.59 [Credo in Cantus]
3. Grand Central 2.25 [same]
4. In Flight 2.15 [Credo in Cantus (instrumental)]
5. Sojourn 2.51 [same]
6. Cortege 2.16 [same]
7. Daniel's Theme 2.48 [same]
8. Interlude 2.56 [Courtesan]
9. Kissing Gate 2.28 [same]
10. River of Life 3.11 [same]

Perpetual Motion and Waltz seem to be unique to the Soundcloud page, unless they're rearranged and incorporated into some of the other tracks and I haven't found them yet.

bill g
11-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Interesting. Never knew about the Soundcloud page. Seventh Heaven didn't move me like many of his albums, but it was pleasant enough. I hope there's some serious composition on the new one. Ant can produce some seriously beautiful and intriguing music, pieces like 'Passepied' (Soiree), 'Tropical Moon Over Dorking' (Fingerpaintings), 'Salmon Leap' (Back To The Pavilion), 'Tearaway' (Field Day), and of course the title track to 'Geese & The Ghost', and the heartwrenching last couple minutes of Slow Dance part 2. Would love to have something like that appear on the new one.

Dave (in MA)
11-21-2012, 01:46 PM
pieces like 'Passepied' (Soiree), 'Tropical Moon Over Dorking' (Fingerpaintings), 'Salmon Leap' (Back To The Pavilion), 'Tearaway' (Field Day), and of course the title track to 'Geese & The Ghost', and the heartwrenching last couple minutes of Slow Dance part 2.
I should give these a closer listen. My Phillips collection is somewhat neglected for a fairly stupid reason; it's at the bottom of the left half of my floor-to-ceiling CD shelving unit , behind a storage bench that sits in front of it.

Progatron
11-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Good timing! I'm thinking of expanding my Ant Phillips collection a bit. I have eight titles currently (The Geese And The Ghost, Private Parts And Pieces 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, Wise After The Event and 1984). I suppose I should get Sides next? I recall hearing it years ago but I don't remember much about it. Or should I continue with the PP & P series? Recommendations?

bill g
11-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Good timing! I'm thinking of expanding my Ant Phillips collection a bit. I have eight titles currently (The Geese And The Ghost, Private Parts And Pieces 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, Wise After The Event and 1984). I suppose I should get Sides next? I recall hearing it years ago but I don't remember much about it. Or should I continue with the PP & P series? Recommendations?

Well one of the best in the PP&P series is 'New England' (#8). It is probably the most consistent, and overall my favorite in the series. Sides has more of a rock/pop first half, but a great 2nd half. 'Sisters of Remindum' is a killer instrumental, like a more summer version of 'Salmon Leap'. 'Soiree' (PP#10) is all solo piano, but is very very good-I'm not usually really keen on solo instrumentation. Field Day is also good. But the one I'd probably get over all of those is Slow Dance, which is probably his most epic cd.

Progatron
11-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks Bill. I'm going to scan around for the availability of some of those titles. I may have to skip over #6 and 7 for now. As for solo piano albums, I must admit I love Rick Wakeman's rarely-mentioned and therefore underrated Sea Airs, so PP & P #10 may well work for me. Anyway, my annual birthday CD order is coming up very soon so I'm really hoping to add a couple of these to that list! Currently listening to PP & P #3 (Antiques) and remembering just how good it really is. The 'variation' bonus tracks are beautiful too.

bill g
11-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks Bill. I'm going to scan around for the availability of some of those titles. I may have to skip over #6 and 7 for now. As for solo piano albums, I must admit I love Rick Wakeman's rarely-mentioned and therefore underrated Sea Airs, so PP & P #10 may well work for me. Anyway, my annual birthday CD order is coming up very soon so I'm really hoping to add a couple of these to that list! Currently listening to PP & P #3 (Antiques) and remembering just how good it really is. The 'variation' bonus tracks are beautiful too.

Yeah PP6 is 'Ivory Moon', which is solo piano too, but 'Soiree' is in my opinion better, more of a heartfelt mood, plus an unreleased Genesis track is on there. PP7 is pretty easily his worst in the series in my opinion. I didn't even bother buying that one on cd (had on vinyl back in the day). If you love Sea Airs, I think you'll love both AP solo piano albums too. Sea Airs is probably my favorite Wakeman album. PP9 is pretty good, but not quite the level of most of the series, but it does have some duets with Berro-Garcia of PP3.

Progatron
11-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah PP6 is 'Ivory Moon', which is solo piano too, but 'Soiree' is in my opinion better, more of a heartfelt mood, plus an unreleased Genesis track is on there. PP7 is pretty easily his worst in the series in my opinion. I didn't even bother buying that one on cd (had on vinyl back in the day). If you love Sea Airs, I think you'll love both AP solo piano albums too. Sea Airs is probably my favorite Wakeman album. PP9 is pretty good, but not quite the level of most of the series, but it does have some duets with Berro-Garcia of PP3.

Gee, so all it took after all these years to get someone else to acknowledge Sea Airs was just to mention it? :D

Okay, PP & P comments have been noted. I actually just ordered Sides because amazon.ca had one copy left in stock, so I should have it for the weekend to refresh my memory. I quite like these Voiceprint 2-CD reissues of Ant's albums.

Arkangel3
11-21-2012, 07:35 PM
...I actually just ordered Sides because amazon.ca had one copy left in stock, so I should have it for the weekend to refresh my memory. I quite like these Voiceprint 2-CD reissues of Ant's albums.

I just ripped the two disc edition to my Mac the other day; Sides remains one of my favorites in his catalog and that two-disc edition is excellent, as are all of those two disc re-releases. The 2 disc "Geese and The Ghost" makes an incredibly beautiful album even more so because of the material that was left off of it (which is mind boggling). Ant is an incredibly prolific musician; I love his synth playing and arrangements (to say the least I love his guitar playing even more). The two disc "Field Day" is a wonderful selection of acoustic guitar (and some synth/keyboard pieces as well). He's a VERY underrated musician both in terms of his playing and his composing/arranging. Slow Dance is stunningly beautiful; 1984 is frighteningly good and even presents an Orwellian-like vibe in the playing and arranging. PP&P I and II will always be my favorites from that series...and I absolutely love the quiet beauty of the "Missing Links" series, all four of those albums. I have (I think) just about everything of his available on CD and certainly a nice chunk of vinyl too. The guy never ceases to amaze me.

bill g
11-21-2012, 08:17 PM
I just ripped the two disc edition to my Mac the other day; Sides remains one of my favorites in his catalog and that two-disc edition is excellent, as are all of those two disc re-releases. The 2 disc "Geese and The Ghost" makes an incredibly beautiful album even more so because of the material that was left off of it (which is mind boggling). Ant is an incredibly prolific musician; I love his synth playing and arrangements (to say the least I love his guitar playing even more). The two disc "Field Day" is a wonderful selection of acoustic guitar (and some synth/keyboard pieces as well). He's a VERY underrated musician both in terms of his playing and his composing/arranging. Slow Dance is stunningly beautiful; 1984 is frighteningly good and even presents an Orwellian-like vibe in the playing and arranging. PP&P I and II will always be my favorites from that series...and I absolutely love the quiet beauty of the "Missing Links" series, all four of those albums. I have (I think) just about everything of his available on CD and certainly a nice chunk of vinyl too. The guy never ceases to amaze me.

Nice. You know I never got the 2-disc remaster of Sides. I love the remastering of Geese & The Ghost and Wise After The Event, really beautiful remastering there, and I got the 1984 2-disc remaster too, which had some good unreleased stuff on disc 2. How is disc 2 of sides, I'm not even sure what's on it?

By the way, Field Day is all guitar and string instruments, no synth or keyboard. The opening, closing and a couple tracks in there are so heavily reverbed 12-string that it sounds like a keyboard.

I do most of my Ant Phillips listening in the late fall/winter (depending on the cd of course-some are more summery) so good timing for the new one due next month

Progatron
11-21-2012, 08:20 PM
I also spun A Catch At The Tables this evening (and enjoyed it) before moving on to another listen of Steve Hackett's Genesis Revisited II - it's Night Of The Ex-Genesis Guitarists!

Progatron
11-21-2012, 08:27 PM
I've added all four Missing Links discs as well as Field Day to my Birthday CD want list. I'm planning on ordering the whole lot this weekend, so whichever of those titles are in stock will be a part of the stack of goodness! :)

ThomasKDye
11-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Well one of the best in the PP&P series is 'New England' (#8). It is probably the most consistent, and overall my favorite in the series.

Ditto. If you want a truly complete AP collection, #8 is a must-have.

Arkangel3
11-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Disc 2 of Sides is mostly alternate (and instrumental) versions of the songs with vocals (and there are some alternate vocal pieces as well). A few new and unheard unreleased tracks as well. Absolutely beautiful remastering throughout.

bill g
11-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Well I'd like to hear those unreleased tracks. Today I was inspired by this thread and listened to PP1, and PP6 (Ivory Moon). Basking Shark from Ivory Moon is amazing-among his very best works. I was pretty floored by it. Sea-Dog's Air was another really great one. From PP1, 'Beauty and The Beast' stood out, as well as 'Harmonium In The Dust', and of course an old favorite 'Tregenna Afternoons'. Always liked 'Autumnal' too. Then I started playing 'The Sky Road' (ML 2), but it didn't have the same depth for me as the two PP I listened to, so I didn't finish it. Not that it wasn't good, just not AS good.

Progatron
11-25-2012, 11:40 AM
PP&P 8 seems to be a difficult one to find in stock anywhere. Amazon marketplace copies are available though, might eventually have to go that route for a few dollars more. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the four Missing Links titles + Field Day arriving!

bill g
11-25-2012, 08:28 PM
you can purchase PP&P 8 at the Anthony Phillips website:

http://astore.amazon.co.uk/theofficialan-21?node=0&page=2

Progatron
11-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Silly me, I hadn't thought to check for the 2CD release with PP&P 7. There it was for thirteen bucks on amazon marketplace. And since I need part 7 as well - ordered! :)

ThomasKDye
11-25-2012, 09:02 PM
Silly me, I hadn't thought to check for the 2CD release with PP&P 7. There it was for thirteen bucks on amazon marketplace. And since I need part 7 as well - ordered! :)

Oh dear. Not to really destroy your satisfaction at finding it, but for some reason, that two CD collection is missing half of Part 7. I mean, it has all of Part 8 (half is on the first disc, and half is on the second), but the second half of Part 7 is GONE. That's really weird; I don't know why it's been released like that, unless Anthony Phillips did like Genesis did in the second Archives set and redacted himself.

Progatron
11-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Oh dear. Not to really destroy your satisfaction at finding it, but for some reason, that two CD collection is missing half of Part 7. I mean, it has all of Part 8 (half is on the first disc, and half is on the second), but the second half of Part 7 is GONE. That's really weird; I don't know why it's been released like that, unless Anthony Phillips did like Genesis did in the second Archives set and redacted himself.

Strange indeed. Well I would have happily spent the thirteen bucks on JUST part 8, so getting most of part 7 as well is just a bonus I guess. From most accounts, part 7 is the weakest in the entire series, so it wasn't one I was really seeking out anyway to be honest. But thanks for the heads-up!

Dave (in MA)
11-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Are you sure about that? The Amazon.co.uk tracklist matches what you say, but the description at Amazon.com describes it as "2010 two CD release that pairs up two albums from the former Genesis guitarist" despite the fact that it says "number of discs: 1" (not uncommon at Amazon for 2 CDs in a single-width jewel case). Bolstering this theory is the fact that the track list on the back is the complete 2 albums:

Also, AP's site says "A double CD re-issue of the seventh and eighth albums in the Private Parts & Pieces series, offering two albums for the price of a single CD.".

ThomasKDye
11-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Are you sure about that? The Amazon.co.uk tracklist matches what you say, but the description at Amazon.com describes it as "2010 two CD release that pairs up two albums from the former Genesis guitarist" despite the fact that it says "number of discs: 1" (not uncommon at Amazon for 2 CDs in a single-width jewel case). Bolstering this theory is the fact that the track list on the back is the complete 2 albums.

Hmm. Progatron, when you get it, let me know, I'd be very curious before I recommend it to someone else.

I certainly hope you're right, Dave, because the second half of Part 7 is certainly worth hearing.

Progatron
11-30-2012, 05:56 PM
It hasn't arrived yet (California to Toronto shipping... sometimes it takes five days, other times twenty days!), but I am bumping this thread to let you guys know that Lasers Edge has the 2-CD 1984 for the 'blowout' price of $12. A good deal, IMO! This album has a lovely mood to it.

Progatron
12-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Anyone heard City Of Dreams yet? I had it pre-ordered at amazon.ca, but of COURSE they didn't get it in stock.

Arkangel3
12-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Anyone heard City Of Dreams yet? I had it pre-ordered at amazon.ca, but of COURSE they didn't get it in stock.

Ditto here. Just waiting for Godot...er...my disc to get here :D

gojikranz
12-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Ppp7 is complete in the two cd set unless I have not been paying attention the few times I have spun it (not my favorite one). Also part 8 is all on one disc maybe you have a different release?

Progatron
12-10-2012, 02:04 PM
My huge stack of birthday CDs from Synphonic arrived today (a few days early!) - it's nice because I've just gotten through everything I wanted to listen to recently, so a nice new pile is most welcome! Anyway, among them is Ant's Field Day and Missing Links vols. 1,2,3 and 4. The first three volumes are a very attractive set, in the old-school fatboy CD case, and the fourth is a standalone. So, six discs worth of Ant goodness to enjoy over the Christmas season! Not to mention PP&P 7/8, still on the way. I'll be overdosing on this stuff! :D

Dave (in MA)
12-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Missing Links vols. 1,2,3 and 4. The first three volumes are a very attractive set, in the old-school fatboy CD case

Quite an improvement over the original amateurish cover art.

http://anthonyphillips.co.uk/discography/ml13150.jpg http://s.dsimg.com/image/R-150-3283035-1323879281.jpeg

Progatron
12-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Spent the evening listening to all three discs of that set in a row, and loved them! I was surprised at just how engaging a listen this mammoth collection of pieces is. A very pleasant evening of music. :)

Edit: moved on to disc four - Pathways And Promenades, since it's not bedtime yet. :p It's already sounding on par with the others, I made the right choice buying these albums. Maybe tomorrow night I'll do the two Field Day discs. In other news, City Of Dreams still hasn't turned up at amazon.ca. :down

Progatron
12-13-2012, 06:26 PM
I canceled my amazon.ca order of City Of Dreams (who knows if and when they'll ever even get it, they're awful) and ordered from amazon UK instead. While I was at it, I threw in PP&P 9 and 10. :D

Arkangel3
12-13-2012, 08:42 PM
I canceled my amazon.ca order of City Of Dreams (who knows if and when they'll ever even get it, they're awful) and ordered from amazon UK instead. While I was at it, I threw in PP&P 9 and 10. :D

I'm stuck in that same "Amazon Twilight Zone" with PP&P 11. I'll wait till after the holidays and order it then (plus some imports that I didn't get for Christmas). I just ordered the new Missing Links Volumes 1-3 remastered set (Yes, it is remastered. Just checked prior to ordering, which is why I went for it at the ridiculously low price of $14.99 at Amazon). Missing Links has some absolutely BEAUTIFUL synth passages on all of it. It is a wonderful collection which I have been very fond of for years; I'm looking forward to hearing the new masters of these lovely pieces of music. I think ML 1-4 are probably my favorite AP albums (along w/PP&P I & II and Sides, 1984, and Slow Dance). Yeah, a lot of favorites, but AP has such an extensive catalog, you can't just pick 1 or two. I just picked 8 out of a catalog of ...what...35 albums? (OK...it's a third no matter how you look at it. But his music is SO different every time he records, you never know what you get out of him next time...but yeah, if I had to pick a series that is his best, Missing Links 1-4 hits every note and scratches every itch I have.)

Progatron
12-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I just ordered the new Missing Links Volumes 1-3 remastered set (Yes, it is remastered. Just checked prior to ordering, which is why I went for it at the ridiculously low price of $14.99 at Amazon). Missing Links has some absolutely BEAUTIFUL synth passages on all of it.

Yeah, $14.99 for that 3CD set is a steal IMO. And I agree - beautiful music, some of his best!

ThomasKDye
12-13-2012, 08:55 PM

Don't know about 10 (heard it was all piano, and I didn't care for his last all-piano outing) but 9 is quite good. You won't be disappointed.

bill g
12-13-2012, 10:24 PM
10 is all piano, and it's great. But then I love much of his other piano album (6). The thing I like about the piano albums is that it is great composition. The more new agey side of him, is less so to me, but on the other hand, they have mood to them. By the soundclips on the new one, it sounds as if it falls into the latter category.

Progatron
12-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Nice. You know I never got the 2-disc remaster of Sides. How is disc 2 of sides, I'm not even sure what's on it?

I enjoyed it. The 7" single version of "Um & Aargh" is unnecessary but the instrumental mixes are fun, and I like the last two tracks ("Catch You When You Fall" and "Before The Night"). Interesting reminiscing in the liner notes as well.

bill g
12-18-2012, 02:15 PM
I enjoyed it. The 7" single version of "Um & Aargh" is unnecessary but the instrumental mixes are fun, and I like the last two tracks ("Catch You When You Fall" and "Before The Night"). Interesting reminiscing in the liner notes as well.

Wasn't 'Catch You When you Fall' on Archives volume 1? I remember a straightforward instrumental of that name. Would this be the same version? 'Before The Night' doesn't sound familiar. What kind of song is it?

Koreabruce
12-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Got "PP&P XI: City of Dreams" in the mail yesterday. I've heard it all the way through just once. It's pleasant enough, but not earth-shattering by any stretch. Parts of it remind me very much of "Slow Dance" in both overall mood and in some of the chord progressions he uses. Of course I'll be doing a lot of follow-up listening as I calculate students' grades now that the current university semester is finished. It seems perfectly suited for that kind of listening.

Boceephus
12-19-2012, 03:56 AM
I truly enjoy threads like this. I learn quite a bit about an artist I missed out on in my younger days. Thanks for all the reccomended parts & pieces. :)

I'm also a fan of RW's Sea Airs. :up

Progatron
12-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Hmm. Progatron, when you get it, let me know, I'd be very curious before I recommend it to someone else.

I certainly hope you're right, Dave, because the second half of Part 7 is certainly worth hearing.

Just to let you know, my set arrived complete, all eighteen tracks on PPP7 and twenty on PPP8 (which everyone was right about, it's excellent!). The only flaw I see is a typo on the back cover listing track "20" as track "10". Perhaps an earlier pressing was flawed and they corrected the situation?

Wasn't 'Catch You When you Fall' on Archives volume 1? I remember a straightforward instrumental of that name. Would this be the same version? 'Before The Night' doesn't sound familiar. What kind of song is it?

Yes, a jaunty little track, I quite like it. Here's what the liner notes say about both pieces you mention:

Catch You When You Fall was the one track recorded for the album that was not included on the final release of Sides as Ant was dissatisfied with the lyrics. Previously released on Archive Collection Volume One in the form of a rough mix made at the time, for this re-issue the track has been newly mixed in instrumental form from the 24-track master.

Before The Night (demo) - This is Ant's home demo recording of a piano piece that he wrote alongside the other material for the album in the summer of 1978. In the selection process of material for the album the choice for a piano-based ballad was between this track and Bleak House, with the latter eventually being chosen.

Got "PP&P XI: City of Dreams" in the mail yesterday. I've heard it all the way through just once. It's pleasant enough, but not earth-shattering by any stretch. Parts of it remind me very much of "Slow Dance" in both overall mood and in some of the chord progressions he uses. Of course I'll be doing a lot of follow-up listening as I calculate students' grades now that the current university semester is finished. It seems perfectly suited for that kind of listening.

Mine's coming overseas (and wouldn't you know it, a day after I canceled my amazon.ca order, they got it in stock - so infuriating!) so I'm not expecting it before Christmas, although the estimated arrival date does say the 24th. We'll see! I look forward to hearing it.

I truly enjoy threads like this. I learn quite a bit about an artist I missed out on in my younger days. Thanks for all the reccomended parts & pieces. :)

I'm also a fan of RW's Sea Airs. :up

I agree. This is a great thread. Not heavily populated, and that's probably a good thing. :D Nice to see yet another fan of Sea Airs!

Arkangel3
12-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Just got my PP&P XI in the mail the other day (forgot it even came...shame! Too many Christmas Presents arriving all at the same time). It sounds nice and I'll probably get into it a bit deeper on a better day then I had today. So far...it's quiet an album! ;)

Koreabruce
12-20-2012, 01:49 AM
Here's a link to a review of PP&P XI: City of Dreams:

http://tinyurl.com/c6p76kn

Progatron
12-24-2012, 02:36 PM
My package arrived today, the 24th - just in time for Christmas! Well done, amazon UK! :) (Meanwhile, packages from the U.S. have been in the mail a week longer than this and have not arrived.)

So, now I have PP&P 9, 10, and 11, for the complete set of 11 titles! Looking forward to spending some time with these over my holiday break.

GreenD
12-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Symphonic pieces sounds like Christmas :)

http://www.gonzomultimedia.co.uk/product_details/15459
http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/discography/sheaven.htm

Progatron
12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Well, PP&P 11 is really, really nice. I'm already on my second spin because I really enjoy the mood he's going for on this one. Several tracks with that kind of backwards guitar thing and atmospheric synths. I also enjoyed both 9 and 10. The solo piano for a full album may be a bit much for some people but when I'm in the mood for that I really like it (if the compositions are nice, that is, as they are on that one and the earlier-mentioned Sea Airs from Rick Wakeman).

So in recent weeks my Ant Phillips collection has expanded greatly. Where I once only had PP&P 1-5, I now have all eleven, and have listened to all eleven in a rather short space of time. Here now are the only studio titles of Ant's that I am missing, what should I get next?

Invisible Men (not in any hurry, I've heard this one before and... meh.)
Sail The World
The Meadows Of Englewood (how is this one? seems hard to find)
Wildlife
Ahead Of The Field
Seventh Heaven (available on amazon so the next likely candidate)

ThomasKDye
12-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Glad you like them! Nothing like a solid AP collection.

Out of curiosity, which piano album do you like better, #6 or #10? I'd like to know because I may reconsider my stance on those.

Progatron
12-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Glad you like them! Nothing like a solid AP collection.

Out of curiosity, which piano album do you like better, #6 or #10? I'd like to know because I may reconsider my stance on those.

#10 by far. In fact, #6 is probably the weak link in the series for me. It's okay, but when I look at the other ten titles they all appeal to me more. Currently listening again to the new one (#11). This will definitely be added to my 'Dreamy' playlist that I often listen to while laying down for a nap or just as pleasant background music while doing other things around the house.

And yes, I'm really pleased to have finally beefed up my AP collection. I've always felt through the years that I should pay him more attention, since I liked his first few albums so much. Just one of those things where there is only so much time and money to go around. When you're a rabid music fan/collector, it's difficult to fit everyone in. But I'm glad to have rectified that.

Any recommendations on those six missing titles I mentioned?

Scrotum Scissor
12-28-2012, 10:31 AM
I kept the first PP&P (and I believe I had about five of them), Geese, Wise and Sides. I still like all of these well enough (although some of the poppier stuff can get quite cheesy), but must admit I haven't given a second thought to any of those I got rid of.

What always lacked from his roster IMO (at least the dozen or so titles that I've heard), was a simple kind of "singer-songwriter's" record with himself (guitar/piano & vox) only. I'd welcome that.

bill g
12-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Well, PP&P 11 is really, really nice. I'm already on my second spin because I really enjoy the mood he's going for on this one. Several tracks with that kind of backwards guitar thing and atmospheric synths. I also enjoyed both 9 and 10. The solo piano for a full album may be a bit much for some people but when I'm in the mood for that I really like it (if the compositions are nice, that is, as they are on that one and the earlier-mentioned Sea Airs from Rick Wakeman).

So in recent weeks my Ant Phillips collection has expanded greatly. Where I once only had PP&P 1-5, I now have all eleven, and have listened to all eleven in a rather short space of time. Here now are the only studio titles of Ant's that I am missing, what should I get next?

Invisible Men (not in any hurry, I've heard this one before and... meh.)
Sail The World
The Meadows Of Englewood (how is this one? seems hard to find)
Wildlife
Ahead Of The Field
Seventh Heaven (available on amazon so the next likely candidate)

Invisible Men is completely different, and as you've heard it, you know how it is.
Sail The World is decent-mostly synths, but more rhythmic than his PP series. There is some electric guitar as well. I would equate much of it in the vein of 'Prelude 84' from 1984. Then there are some pieces that are slow and dreamy, not unlike the music on pp11. Not his best album, but some good tracks, one called 'Paradise' I think is really nice, and is only available on the remaster as one of the bonus tracks.

'The Meadows of Englewood' I've listened to a couple times and like it, but I wouldn't call it great. The title track is probably my favorite, a very long piece, like 30 minutes or so. The thing about this album is it's a jam with Enrique Berro-Garcia. It is not pre-composed music, which is what Ant does best I think. A lot of keyboards and electric guitar on this one, but lacking drums and bass.

'Wildlife' is pretty close to the style of PP11, and Missing Links volume 3. Joji Hirota is on it with Ant and provides percussion and flute/panflutes. The downside is it is over 40 tracks that average less than 2 minutes each. Ant plays mostly synths on this one, and occasional guitar. In the right mood this is a great album.

'Ahead of the Field' is pretty upbeat. Not far from Invisible Men, but all instrumental if that makes sense. There is some mood to some of the tracks though. Still, I think there is a reason Ant didn't release it back when it was recorded. Compositionally it is not his strongest effort. Probably works best as driving music?

'Seventh Heaven' is a bit of a departure at times, and I'm still digesting it. He has an orchestrator on some of the tracks and a couple tracks with soprano vocals. Some of this album is quite nice. I had hoped this one to be a bit more on the level of Tony Banks' 'Six' album, but its nowhere near that level. Still, for what it is, it is very good, there are beautiful pieces, and this is the one I'd get next of the albums you don't have.

Hope that helps,

Bill

Progatron
12-28-2012, 02:11 PM
It helps indeed Bill, thank you! :) I was already leaning toward Seventh Heaven anyway (availability being a main factor). From your descriptions, it seems the remaining five are among his weaker material, so it seems my collection is nearly as strong as it's going to get for now.

ThomasKDye
01-03-2013, 02:36 AM
'Wildlife' is pretty close to the style of PP11, and Missing Links volume 3. Joji Hirota is on it with Ant and provides percussion and flute/panflutes. The downside is it is over 40 tracks that average less than 2 minutes each. Ant plays mostly synths on this one, and occasional guitar. In the right mood this is a great album.

"In the right mood" is right. It's basically a good album for creating a "Coyote Oldman" atmosphere, but it's strictly background music, and not as "involving" as other AP albums.

Other than "Invisible Men," I haven't heard the others.

JKL2000
01-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Does Phillips actually play guitar on Slow Dance? It doesn't look like it from the back of the cd case.

Dave (in MA)
01-03-2013, 11:50 PM
http://anthonyphillips.co.uk/discography/slowdance.htm
Anthony Phillips: Emax (I), Jupiter 8, Casio CZ5000, Roland 808, Tom Drum Machine, Alvarez 12-String, Fender Stratocaster, Yari Classical Guitar, Ovation 6 String, Gretsch Fetless Bass, Yamaha QX5 Sequencer.

Progatron
01-09-2013, 05:12 PM
It's a shame about the awful narration/voices in Battle Of The Birds. It remains the one unlistenable album in Ant's catalogue, for me.

Dave (in MA)
01-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Isn't Battle of the Birds just the music from Gypsy Suite with a bunch of Gilli Smythe's nonsense overdubbed onto it? I never picked it up because it has supposed to contain no unique AP material.

Dave (in MA)
01-09-2013, 05:56 PM
http://anthonyphillips.co.uk/archives/site/narc02.htm
News Archive: 2002
Recording starts for Private Parts & Pieces XI

"Ant has started work on recording the guitar-based material he has been writing recently. The end results should make up the eleventh volume in the Private Parts & Pieces series."

This wasn't released until 10 years later.

Edit: Since City of Dreams is a keyboard album, I'm going to guess that the original PP&P XI became Field Day.

bill g
01-09-2013, 07:35 PM
It's a shame about the awful narration/voices in Battle Of The Birds. It remains the one unlistenable album in Ant's catalogue, for me.

Yeah, at least there are the three instrumental tracks at the end, which are really nice. Unfortunately, some of the best moments on the album musically, have the story going on over it.

bill g
01-09-2013, 08:22 PM
http://anthonyphillips.co.uk/archives/site/narc02.htm
News Archive: 2002
Recording starts for Private Parts & Pieces XI

"Ant has started work on recording the guitar-based material he has been writing recently. The end results should make up the eleventh volume in the Private Parts & Pieces series."

This wasn't released until 10 years later.

Edit: Since City of Dreams is a keyboard album, I'm going to guess that the original PP&P XI became Field Day.

Yes I think you're right. I think the only reason he didn't release it as a PP&P album is that it was a double, otherwise it fits the bill for the PP series.

I'd really like to see him work with a drummer and bassist next time 'round, and get some exciting group instrumental music, with a lot of chords and melody variation, such as some of his work with Andy McCullough and such.

Progatron
01-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Since City of Dreams is a keyboard album, I'm going to guess that the original PP&P XI became Field Day.

Just popped City Of Dreams in again after seeing it mentioned. I really like this one.

I'd really like to see him work with a drummer and bassist next time 'round, and get some exciting group instrumental music, with a lot of chords and melody variation

I agree!

The Twickerman
01-11-2013, 09:59 AM
Isn't Battle of the Birds just the music from Gypsy Suite with a bunch of Gilli Smythe's nonsense overdubbed onto it? I never picked it up because it has supposed to contain no unique AP material.

I have the original cassette version of this - which is different (better) than the CD version which only emerged many years later. I don't have either to hand right now - but I did always enjoy the original (which is the only one I ever turned to). I can't remember the difference now.

JKL2000
02-04-2013, 10:49 AM
If I like Geese, Wise, and Sides which should I try next?

Progatron
02-04-2013, 10:51 AM

Private Parts And Pieces I and/or II.

bill g
02-04-2013, 12:17 PM

New England (private parts 8), or Back To The Pavilion (private parts 2)-for Scottish Suite alone.

JKL2000
02-04-2013, 12:18 PM
^CTTOI I have one of those too. Will try the other one.

gregory
02-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by JKL2000

Private Parts And Pieces I and/or II.
Or Back To The Pavilion.

JJ88
02-04-2013, 12:45 PM
'Back To The Pavillion' *is* 'Private Parts and Pieces II'! I'd recommend the first one if only for 'Treganna Afternoons' which is a gorgeous, enchanting piece of music.

I remember buying 6/7 AP albums on vinyl a few years ago for £1 a go, one of the best finds I had. They are almost all US imports. Prior to that all I had was the expanded 'Geese...' and 'Anthology'.

gregory
02-04-2013, 05:50 PM
I know that BTTP is part 2, cause I have it) Tregenna Afternoons track is great. I've been twice in lovely St.Ives, staying in a Porthminster Hotel on Tregenna Hill, a beautiful, enchanted place. Never stayed in Tregenna Castle Hotel however.

Dave (in MA)
02-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Pavilion fans will want to get their hands on the 2nd Archive set, containing Scottish Suite II.

GuitarGeek
02-04-2013, 06:14 PM
'Back To The Pavillion' *is* 'Private Parts and Pieces II'! I'd recommend the first one if only for 'Treganna Afternoons' which is a gorgeous, enchanting piece of music..

I do agree Tregenna Afternoons is a nice piece, but for me it's Reaper that makes that disc a must hear.

I also like the fourth one, A Catch At The Tables, quite a bit. Arboretum Suite and Sistine are my favorites there.

Progatron
02-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Yes, "Reaper" is beautiful and I really like A Catch At The Tables too.

progman1975
04-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Pavilion fans will want to get their hands on the 2nd Archive set, containing Scottish Suite II.
Is this on Archives Vol 2....didn't see it on the tracklisting

progman1975
04-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Archives Vol 2 looks rather interesting....any thoughts

Progatron
04-20-2013, 11:32 PM
http://anthonyphillips.co.uk/

The Meadows Of Englewood has been reissued as a 2-disc 15th anniversary edition.

Dave (in MA)
04-21-2013, 12:55 AM
Is this on Archives Vol 2....didn't see it on the tracklisting

Tracks 8-15, and track 7 makes a nice intro.

Progatron
04-21-2013, 09:53 PM

I've just ordered this from amazon UK (better price there than the N.American marketplace vendors). Can't wait to dig in! I had never paid this collection much attention, foolishly assuming it was mostly stuff I already had, but having just read up on it, it looks to be an essential release for a fan like me.

The Meadows Of Englewood has been reissued as a 2-disc 15th anniversary edition.

I really want this too, but it's a little pricey IMO. I'll probably just go ahead and order it one night after a few drinks or something.

bill g
04-21-2013, 10:45 PM

I really like it. Its a 2-disc set, and has about 1 disc of really good stuff. I'm never much interested in instrumental versions of vocal tracks, and there are a few of those thrown in.

Progatron
04-22-2013, 10:49 AM
I really like it. Its a 2-disc set, and has about 1 disc of really good stuff. I'm never much interested in instrumental versions of vocal tracks, and there are a few of those thrown in.

I'm really looking forward to it. It's been shipped already ('dispatched' actually, according to amazon UK)! I'm such a sucker for these 2CD Ant releases. Something about the pastoral English countryside aspect of so much of his work appeals to me... I have no idea why.

bill g
04-22-2013, 06:09 PM
I'm really looking forward to it. It's been shipped already ('dispatched' actually, according to amazon UK)! I'm such a sucker for these 2CD Ant releases. Something about the pastoral English countryside aspect of so much of his work appeals to me... I have no idea why.

Obviously I love pastoral English countryside music too, and there are some lovely things on this.

Progatron
04-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Archive Collection Vol. II arrived on Friday and I've been enjoying it this evening. Some beautiful pieces, as always. It never ceases to amaze me how much he and Mike wrote in that 1969 period - tracks find their way to different releases so often! GREAT addition to the collection. I also ordered that new issue of Englewood. I'm not even sure where that shipped from, but we'll see when it turns up! :)

I have 27 of Ant's CDs now. What should be my next addition? These are the titles I don't have:

Invisible Men
Sail The World
Wildlife
Ahead Of The Field
The Living Room Concert
The Live Radio Sessions
Radio Clyde 1978

... I don't need any of the remaining compilation titles. I'd consider my collection 'complete' with those seven listed above added. I should point out that I've heard Invisible Men before, and am in no hurry for that one. :D

bill g
04-28-2013, 11:56 PM
Archive Collection Vol. II arrived on Friday and I've been enjoying it this evening. Some beautiful pieces, as always. It never ceases to amaze me how much he and Mike wrote in that 1969 period - tracks find their way to different releases so often! GREAT addition to the collection. I also ordered that new issue of Englewood. I'm not even sure where that shipped from, but we'll see when it turns up! :)

I have 27 of Ant's CDs now. What should be my next addition? These are the titles I don't have:

Invisible Men
Sail The World
Wildlife
Ahead Of The Field
The Living Room Concert
The Live Radio Sessions
Radio Clyde 1978

... I don't need any of the remaining compilation titles. I'd consider my collection 'complete' with those seven listed above added. I should point out that I've heard Invisible Men before, and am in no hurry for that one. :D

Hmm, the ones you don't have are the ones I never play either, except 'Sail The World' on occasion. That's probably the next one, as it does have a couple or so good tracks, like 'Paradise', which wasn't on the original version of the album. 'Radio Clyde' has some nice stuff too, as an acoustic album.

Dave (in MA)
04-29-2013, 02:00 AM
Archive Collection Vol. II

Invisible Men
Sail The World
Wildlife
Ahead Of The Field
The Living Room Concert
The Live Radio Sessions
Radio Clyde 1978

... I don't need any of the remaining compilation titles. I'd consider my collection 'complete' with those seven listed above added. I should point out that I've heard Invisible Men before, and am in no hurry for that one. :DWell, Ahead of the Field only has AP on a few overdubs, and Sail the World doesn't sound anything like an AP album to me. Good luck getting your hands on a copy of the Live Radio Sessions.

Progatron
04-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Well, Ahead of the Field only has AP on a few overdubs, and Sail the World doesn't sound anything like an AP album to me. Good luck getting your hands on a copy of the Live Radio Sessions.

Interesting... thanks for that tip! I see that Ant composed the entire AotF album but did not really play most of it. Last night I ordered Sail The World and Radio Clyde 1978 after finding decent prices for them. I'll probably get Wildlife too, but it looks like I'm nearing the end of the collection - the rest is the bottom of the barrel leftovers... I've got the best stuff by far. I'll probably get Invisible Men if I find a cheap copy of it, just so that hole in the collection is filled, but there's no hurry - I'm just getting obsessive now. I'll soon have 30 CDs by him - that should suffice! :D

Progatron
04-29-2013, 07:29 PM

This arrived today (Monday), one week to the day after I ordered it. Man, international shipping to Canada is fantastic these days. Stuff from the U.S. (wayyyy closer) is taking upwards of three weeks, and I am near a major mail sorting hub. What gives, Americans? :P

Anyway, the new edition looks nice. Currently on the lovely (and lengthy!) title track. This is nice stuff. I'm practically mainlining Ant Phillips music these days!

Progatron
04-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Good luck getting your hands on a copy of the Live Radio Sessions.

Time to make it three posts in a row! LOL... I just wanted to point out that this one is in fact officially available as disc 2 of the compilation All Our Lives, available from AstralShop for about eleven bucks. I've just ordered it. Aaaaagh! I can't stop! :D

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=26759

http://guillermocazenave.com/shop/en/cd/16-all-our-lives.html

ThomasKDye
04-29-2013, 09:48 PM
At this stage, you might as well get Invisible Men. Frankly, it's not THAT bad. "The Women Were Watching" is poignant Ant at his near-best, synthbeat or not. At worst, it's at least amusing ("Golden Bodies", "Love In A Hot Air Balloon") and at best it's fresh and sunny ("Sally"). And you have a couple of instrumentals as well. If all pop had sounded like this in the eighties, maybe none of us would be complaining about eighties pop. ;)

Progatron
04-29-2013, 10:10 PM
At this stage, you might as well get Invisible Men. Frankly, it's not THAT bad.

I agree - I have heard that one before, and on Archive II there are several pieces from that period as well. I will get it... I guess I was just wondering if a couple of the remaining albums that I hadn't heard would be worth getting first (Wildlife, etc.)

Dave (in MA)
04-29-2013, 10:56 PM
If you like ML i,ii,iii or iv, you'll like Wildlife. I don't know why it's not part of the series.

florentine pogen
04-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Wow! Sal. Talk about a binge. There are institutions for those kinds of matters;) Anyway, this thread has been the catalyst for my own Ant Phillips born again experience. I'm not on board with many of his recordings, but what I do like borders on infatuation. "The Geese and the Ghost", "Sides", and "Private Parts and Pieces vol 1&2", are my favorites(not a big fan of "Wise"). However, PP&P vol 8(New England) is possibly the most gorgeous record the guy has ever put out. The New England Suite in particular is mind blowing! Thanks to this thread, I too have experienced an epiphany in re-establishing Ant as a great musician/composer.

Progatron
04-30-2013, 04:29 PM
If you like ML i,ii,iii or iv, you'll like Wildlife. I don't know why it's not part of the series.

I do indeed like those very much! It bodes well that you would compare that album with the ML series.

Wow! Sal. Talk about a binge. There are institutions for those kinds of matters;) Anyway, this thread has been the catalyst for my own Ant Phillips born again experience. I'm not on board with many of his recordings, but what I do like borders on infatuation. "The Geese and the Ghost", "Sides", and "Private Parts and Pieces vol 1&2", are my favorites(not a big fan of "Wise"). However, PP&P vol 8(New England) is possibly the most gorgeous record the guy has ever put out. The New England Suite in particular is mind blowing! Thanks to this thread, I too have experienced an epiphany in re-establishing Ant as a great musician/composer.

It's great to have a few other AP fans here that are discovering (or rediscovering) his works. For many years I had been familiar with his more well-known titles as well as owning a handful of others but I just had never gotten around to checking out all the other stuff in between, and I'm so glad I have now. 'Binge' is indeed the right word, I haven't gone this crazy on one particular artist in years. I'm going to order Wildlife and have a look for a cheap copy of Invisible Men (while my Meadows Of Englewood DVD plays ;)). Then I think I'm done for a while!

And yes, PP&P 8 is one of his best. Do yourself a favour and try Wise again, I think it's a great album. Check out the instrumental version of "Now What" that appears as a bonus track on disc 2. Lovely stuff.

Dave (in MA)
04-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Meadows Of Englewood DVD?

(edit: Oh, yeah; the one with the mimed performances.)

bill g
05-01-2013, 04:36 PM
At this stage, you might as well get Invisible Men. Frankly, it's not THAT bad. "The Women Were Watching" is poignant Ant at his near-best, synthbeat or not. At worst, it's at least amusing ("Golden Bodies", "Love In A Hot Air Balloon") and at best it's fresh and sunny ("Sally"). And you have a couple of instrumentals as well. If all pop had sounded like this in the eighties, maybe none of us would be complaining about eighties pop. ;)

Good call. 'Guru' is my favorite song on that album. Fresh and sunny does describe some of it. And yes, Wildlife is similar to the ML4 album and the new one. My complaint is most of the 40 tracks are about a minute or so long.

Dave (in MA)
05-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Invisible Men is one of the ones that I don't own, but I recall from when I borrowed a copy that Exocet was the track that I liked the most.

Progatron
05-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Invisible Men is OOP, so I'm passing for now until I find a decent price. I'll keep my eye on amazon marketplace, etc. but as of right now it's not important. My current Ant phase/obsession is showing no signs of slowing down yet, so I've even been listening to some of the more accessible albums at work (to the usual eye-rolls and queries like "What IS this? Church music or something?" from co-workers - though there are far fewer complaints than with my five-hour 'Scandinavian Symphonic' playlist ;)). I must say, as far as I've now ventured into Ant's vast catalogue, I still have to tip my cap to the classic that is Geese The Ghost. Essential stuff, that.

Listening now to Pathways And Promenades and wondering how it could be rated so low on PA - I think this one is gorgeous!

Dave (in MA)
05-01-2013, 09:03 PM
It's not OOP at Amazon.co.uk.

Progatron
05-01-2013, 09:45 PM
It's not OOP at Amazon.co.uk.

Right you are. Although it's running at about $22 + shipping so for now I can wait. Besides, I need something to still strive for! :D Other than that title, what's really left? I suppose The Living Room Concert but that's certainly not essential.

Dave (in MA)
05-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Right you are. Although it's running at about $22 + shipping so for now I can wait. Besides, I need something to still strive for! :D Other than that title, what's really left? I suppose The Living Room Concert but that's certainly not essential.
Voiceprint VP184 Anthony Phillips Lyric Book
http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-150-2539464-1289578676.jpeg

Progatron
05-01-2013, 10:06 PM
Voiceprint VP184 Anthony Phillips Lyric Book
http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-150-2539464-1289578676.jpeg

Got it already.

KIDDING! :D

Dave (in MA)
05-01-2013, 10:15 PM
That's the original version of The Living Room Concert, the one I have.

Digital_Man
05-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Not very familiar with AP solo. Would like to know what are some good ones to start with. Thanks.

Progatron
05-02-2013, 07:56 PM
OK I just realized I hadn't checked Greg @ Synphonic and sure enough he had Invisible Men AND Living Room Concert for $16 each. Ordered! And DONE! I'm DONE with buying Ant Phillips CDs! I have basically everything I need to have.

Not very familiar with AP solo. Would like to know what are some good ones to start with. Thanks.

The Geese And The Ghost is definitely the go-to album. Start there - and read this thread.

progman1975
05-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Cool...Give us your review on both when you get a chance....

Progatron
05-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Sail the World doesn't sound anything like an AP album to me.

This was in my mailbox today. I've just finished my first listen and I now totally understand this comment. :) I do hear Ant's composition style in the melodies but overall it has an unusually upbeat drumming style, and is probably the least "Anthony Phillips" sounding disc he's done. Underwhelmed with this one thus far, one of my least favourites - but then, something has to be. It does have a couple of standout tracks but as a full album it is probably not going to be one I return to often, unlike a lot of the others.

Progatron
05-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Good luck getting your hands on a copy of the Live Radio Sessions.

This arrived today (sort of - it's disc 2 of the All Our Lives release) complete with two bonus tracks, one of which is "Sky Dawn" (originally recorded by Ant and released on the Various Artists album The Sky Goes All The Way Home. The version included on this CD has additional keyboards added by Guillermo Cazaneve). I had never heard of The Sky Goes All The Way Home before:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sky-Goes-All-Home/dp/B00001ZTGV

Progatron
05-09-2013, 07:13 PM
My Synphonic package arrived today, along with Radio Clyde 1978. I now own the entire Ant Phillips catalogue. There is nothing I need. When's his next one? :D

progman1975
05-11-2013, 10:25 AM
How is Radio Clyde

Progatron
05-11-2013, 06:34 PM
How is Radio Clyde

Quite nice! A sort of 'best of' early Ant, played very well and with decent sound quality. Similar in some ways to The Living Room Concert, although years prior. He sounds so young in the introductions for each track! It's really a shame that Ant has such stagefright. It's fascinating to think what his setlists would have looked like over the years.

Dave (in MA)
04-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Not even announced on AP's web site yet,

Anthony Phillips
https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/465/8663/
https://www.burningshed.com/covers/large6871.jpg
Slow Dance (2cd/1dvd pre-order)

A deluxe edition of Anthony Phillips' instrumental album from 1990.

Regarded by aficionados of Anthony's work as one of his finest releases, Slow Dance comprises a two part 50 minute Orchestral Rock suite which showcases Anthony's music at its most expansive and imaginative.

This 2017 triple disc deluxe edition features a remastered original stereo mix plus a 5.1 Surround sound mix by Simon Heyworth (on an ntsc / region free DVD), along with a CD of previously unreleased 'Slow Dance Vignettes'.

The set includes an illustrated booklet with an essay by Jon Dann.

Pre-order for 16th June release.

Gizmotron
04-20-2017, 06:24 PM
As with anything A.P., it is truly an "auto buy" for me.

I look forward to the 5.1.

gojikranz
04-20-2017, 06:41 PM
that is great news. and a full bonus disc too!

ombasan
04-21-2017, 06:02 AM
Great. Great. Great!
Looking forwards to it!

battema
04-21-2017, 07:22 AM
Always had a soft spot for this album...super cool to see a deluxe edition is coming :)

interbellum
04-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Always had a soft spot for this album...super cool to see a deluxe edition is coming :)

Me too. And I don't even have it myself......
I was given a tape with this album and played it a lot when my girlfriend I just met was with me. She enjoyed it so much, I bought the CD for her.
We're living together now, so technically speaking I have the CD in the house, but it's not in MY collection ;-)

Ordered it right away. Looking forward to hear the 5.1 mix.

aith01
04-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Very cool! I'm not as familiar with Slow Dance as, say, 1984 (one of my faves), but I'm down for a deluxe edition. :up

Mr.Krautman
04-24-2017, 06:47 PM
Excellent news. Slow Dance is one of A.P best (maybe THE best) works. The remastered Deluxe version with bonuses means Autobuy for me.

Lino
04-25-2017, 10:27 AM
How things change: When I was still a teen, we were in Rochester NY for a wedding. While there I saw a record store and had to stop in. I saw "Geese and the Ghost" and almost pissed my pants I was so excited (never saw it in my local stores Canada). When I took it home, i was just totally enchanted with it all, the beautiful artwork, and the music...finding another piece to add to my Genesis obsession of the time. Well, I swear, I went over 30 years not hearing that album, so a few months ago I gave it a try, expecting to have one of those special nostalgic moments... I could barely get through it. Didn't do a damn thing for me. Can't see myself playing it again any time soon. lol Still, I can look at the cover and recapture the feeling of euphoria I had as a kid when I found that album. :)

aith01
04-25-2017, 10:43 AM
How things change: When I was still a teen, we were in Rochester NY for a wedding. While there I saw a record store and had to stop in. I saw "Geese and the Ghost" and almost pissed my pants I was so excited (never saw it in my local stores Canada). When I took it home, i was just totally enchanted with it all, the beautiful artwork, and the music...finding another piece to add to my Genesis obsession of the time. Well, I swear, I went over 30 years not hearing that album, so a few months ago I gave it a try, expecting to have one of those special nostalgic moments... I could barely get through it. Didn't do a damn thing for me. Can't see myself playing it again any time soon. lol Still, I can look at the cover and recapture the feeling of euphoria I had as a kid when I found that album. :)

That kind of thing does happen, it's true. But I hope you've checked out his other albums in the meantime, because The Geese And The Ghost is really just the tip of the iceberg with Ant. :)

Gizmotron
04-25-2017, 12:05 PM

I agree with Aith01; this is always a possibility.
The beginning of your story sounds a bit like mine. I stumbled upon "Geese..." at Sam Goody's a month or so after it came out and was delighted to see something new from the Genesis universe. I fell heavily for the artwork and the music. But it has only grown more meaningful to me over the years.

So as Aith01 says, jump into his other CDs and experience some of the wide variety of music Ant has written. I bet there is something in his catalog you will love.

mozo-pg
04-25-2017, 01:06 PM
I still like Geese and the Ghost a lot - some achingly beautiful pastoral music.

Gizmotron
04-25-2017, 01:18 PM
I still like Geese and the Ghost a lot - some achingly beautiful pastoral music.

Perfect description!

Lino
04-25-2017, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys! I definitely should 1) try G&G again, just to make sure I didn't try it on a day where my nerve pain was acting up lol and 2) Try something else he's done. That's the only Ant I know. And believe it or not, I used to really like the album.

Gizmotron
04-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Thanks guys! I definitely should 1) try G&G again, just to make sure I didn't try it on a day where my nerve pain was acting up lol and 2) Try something else he's done. That's the only Ant I know. And believe it or not, I used to really like the album.

Here is Ant's website:
http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/

If you'd like to try a very different and very well-regarded album give "1984" a spin. It is almost all keyboards. He has many albums that focus on guitars (with some piano pieces)...the Private Parts & Pieces series is wonderful. There are some that focus on his playing with other guitarists. There are his soundtrack CDs. And there are some orchestra albums as well ("Seventh Heaven" is my fav).
TONS of stuff!!!

Get to work! :)

aith01
04-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Here is Ant's website:

If you'd like to try a very different and very well-regarded album give "1984" a spin. It is almost all keyboards. He has many albums that focus on guitars (with some piano pieces)...the Private Parts & Pieces series is wonderful. There are some that focus on his playing with other guitarists. There are his soundtrack CDs. And there are some orchestra albums as well ("Seventh Heaven" is my fav).
TONS of stuff!!!

^^^ What he said. ;)

In addition to the PP&P series, his album Wise After The Event has some very nice stuff on it as well. And I have to second Seventh Heaven, it's very beautiful. :up

Gizmotron
04-25-2017, 05:52 PM
A great point by Aith01! I had neglected to mention the "pop" side of Ant's career. As well as "Wise..." there is "Sides" and "Invisible Men." These are accessible, vocal albums that were encouraged by Ant's record company. Some love the stuff (me) and others find them a bit too pop.

Take your time and take it all in slowly. But, RIGHT THIS MINUTE you MUST listen to this very short track off of Seventh Heaven:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmgcp9evK7E

BarryLI
04-26-2017, 07:23 AM
Here is Ant's website:

TONS of stuff!!!

Speaking of keyboards how about Ant's work on Mike Rutherford's "Smallcreep's Day"? It's Mike's best solo album, possibly the best solo outside Genesis and absolutely awash in Ant's keys, a treat for the ears every time.

aith01
04-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Speaking of keyboards how about Ant's work on Mike Rutherford's "Smallcreep's Day"? It's Mike's best solo album, possibly the best solo outside Genesis and absolutely awash in Ant's keys, a treat for the ears every time.

Totally agree about Ant's keyboard work there -- really great stuff. And I also think it's Mike's best work outside of Genesis. Working In Line, Cats And Rats, Moonshine, and Overnight Job are my favorites. Ant's keyboards on Overnight Job (especially the outro) is really just sublime. :)

interbellum
04-26-2017, 10:45 AM

Ant also plays some keyboards and guitars in a couple of tracks from Camel's "The Single Factor". Here's one of them: Sasquatch, with Anthony on Rickenbacker 12-string guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nE36JEpq9U

Gizmotron
04-26-2017, 11:48 AM
So Ant's huge solo catalog isn't daunting enough for ya, huh? LOL Life really becomes interesting when one goes after the CDs where he is on a track or two.
Seriously, he is on many albums as a guest. And there are some real gems out there (as people above point out). You know you are a serious fan when you almost have everything from that range too. (I should know...i am one of those fans!)

gojikranz
04-26-2017, 01:18 PM
So Ant's huge solo catalog isn't daunting enough for ya, huh? LOL Life really becomes interesting when one goes after the CDs where he is on a track or two.
Seriously, he is on many albums as a guest. And there are some real gems out there (as people above point out). You know you are a serious fan when you almost have everything from that range too. (I should know...i am one of those fans!)

any recommendations of the best ones? I have the mike Rutherford camel and steve Hackett albums that he is on. having trouble thinking of any others off the top of my head.

just remembered the intergalactic touring band too! that is a fun one.

Gizmotron
04-26-2017, 01:27 PM
any recommendations of the best ones? I have the mike Rutherford camel and steve Hackett albums that he is on. having trouble thinking of any others off the top of my head.

just remembered the intergalactic touring band too! that is a fun one.

Here is the link to his site that shows his guest appearances:
http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/discography/sessions.htm
(i'd say the Camel CD and Smallcreep's Day are the clear winners there. The Hackett "Out of the Tunnels Mouth" CD is very good in general, not just because Ant is on it.

And the CDs where he only has one track:
http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/discography/lone.htm
(I like the CD "An English Country Garden." It has two tracks by Ant.)

But in general, the deal is that you'll end up spending a fair bit of dough to get a track here and a track there. I suggest going through all of Ant's own stuff first.

bill g
04-27-2017, 02:16 PM
And the CDs where he only has one track:
http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/discography/lone.htm
(I like the CD "An English Country Garden." It has two tracks by Ant.)

I see on the website there are 3 'orchestral' pieces by Ant on that album. How are they? Similar to Tarka? or are they shorter pieces like 'The Boulevard of Fallen Leaves'? I see orchestral pieces on a few of the other comps as well.

Gizmotron
04-27-2017, 02:29 PM
I see on the website there are 3 'orchestral' pieces by Ant on that album. How are they? Similar to Tarka? or are they shorter pieces like 'The Boulevard of Fallen Leaves'? I see orchestral pieces on a few of the other comps as well.

Thanks for the correction. There are in fact three.
They are shorter pieces and are very accessible and pretty.

The rest of the tracks--if memory serves--are nice but not great.

Dave (in MA)
04-27-2017, 04:57 PM
If you go to the very first post in this thread, (http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/631-Anthony-Phillips-thread?p=8632&viewfull=1#post8632) you'll see that I wrote about an early version of the Seventh Heaven album that was previewed across a couple of sets hosted at Andrew Skeet's Soundcloud page preceding the release of the album. If I knew what I was talking about 5 years ago, there were two tracks that didn't make it onto the album, "Perpetual Motion" and "Waltz". They're also not up at his Soundcloud page any longer.

But, look:
https://www.discogs.com/Anthony-Phillips-English-Film-Drama-Beautiful-Orchestral-Portraits/release/6051201
https://www.discogs.com/Anthony-Phillips-World-Film-Drama-Beautiful-Orchestral-Portraits/release/6050054

How does someone get their hands on Ant's library music?

interbellum
04-27-2017, 05:03 PM
How does someone get their hands on Ant's library music?

Some of it is on Missing Links Volume I-III available at http://www.anthonyphillips.co.uk/shop.htm

Missing Links Volumes I - III
A triple CD re-issue of the first three albums in the Missing Links series - Finger Painting, The Sky Road and Time & Tide. All three albums now have new artwork and with a total playing time of three hours, this set provides excellent value.

The Missing Links series was begun as a way to fill in some of the gaps in Ant's commercially released musical output and allow fans the opportunity to hear some of his Library and Television music. The series began in 1989 with the release of the first volume Finger Painting (initially made available as a limited edition cassette release) which featured selections from various projects that Ant had written and recorded over the previous ten years. A second volume - The Sky Road - followed in 1994, featuring a further selection of Library and Television pieces alongside previously unreleased album pieces and archive tracks. The third volume - Time & Tide - was released in 1997 and brought together for the first time on a commercial release the best of Ant's collaborative work with Joji Hirota, much of which has been featured on award-winning programmes in the long-running Survival series.

Dave (in MA)
04-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Yes, I know about those, but what about the releases that came out on the Atmosphere label, linked above.
(and Amazon got rid of the ability to search by Label name)

Dave (in MA)
04-27-2017, 05:13 PM
I asked about them on his Facebook page, and I'll post here if I get any answer.

bill g
04-27-2017, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the correction. There are in fact three.
They are shorter pieces and are very accessible and pretty.

The rest of the tracks--if memory serves--are nice but not great.

Thanks for the info, I'm wanting to pick up the 'Harmony For Elephants' thing as well. I wonder if anyone knows if Kickstarter is the only way to get this? I tried emailing Greg Walker about this, but emails don't seem to be going thru to Greg.

Dave (in MA)
08-25-2017, 11:48 AM
I suppose it was inevitable,

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/invisible-men-remastered-expanded-2cd-edition/

I never picked up this album, having heard my brother's vinyl copy. The Archives sets gave us some of the instrumental works-in-progress versions of a few of these tracks, which don't seem to be included in this.

aith01
08-25-2017, 12:15 PM

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/invisible-men-remastered-expanded-2cd-edition/

I never picked up this album, having heard my brother's vinyl copy. The Archives sets gave us some of the instrumental works-in-progress versions of a few of these tracks, which don't seem to be included in this.

Cool! I like a lot of the tunes on that album, and it could benefit from a remastering I think.

interbellum
08-25-2017, 02:58 PM

I bought it on LP, but it was my least favorite AP-album, so I'll pass on this 2CD-version.

Mr.Krautman
08-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Does anyone knows if Esoteric has any plans to (re)release Tarka in the future ? I'm about to buy it on CD but could happily wait for a re-mastered deluxe version (like Slow Dance and 1984) with extra tracks,etc.... But since it was a Harry Williamson/Anthony Phillips collaboration maybe Esoteric doesn't own the rights for this one ?

Dave (in MA)
08-25-2017, 03:28 PM
This is kind of cool. A 2014 live performance by some fans, 7:00 of Slow Dance. The man himself was in attendance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye_MWwdwoNY

Dave (in MA)
08-25-2017, 03:34 PM
Question for the fans, does someone who has everything else need to get Harvest of the Heart?

gojikranz
08-25-2017, 03:49 PM
Question for the fans, does someone who has everything else need to get Harvest of the Heart?

if you want everything else and everything leftover...

I haven't listened to it in awhile I don't recall being blown away by any of it, but it is a enjoyable compilation beyond the few exclusives and has a nice book. so if you can get it for a good price I say go for it.

bill g
08-25-2017, 06:14 PM

I was just thinking about this album the other day. Most of the songs are actually pretty good I think, but could have been better with a stronger vocalist. I actually like Richard Scott's voice, and had he sung more it would maybe have worked better. I'll probably get this, if nothing else, out of curiosity for what's on the 2nd disc. 'Falling For Love' could have been a nice single. Definitely a moody, good song, but my favorite song is probably 'Guru'.

Dave (in MA)
08-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Too bad it's not going to be a 5.1 DVD edition.

Maybe that'll be after we've all bought one of these.

alucard
08-26-2017, 05:52 AM
Big fan, i had listened a lot to The Advent recently and to continue the pastoral atmosphere I had pulled out some of his cd's among them Tarka that I like a lot. I didn't saw it mentioned so far. Any fans ? it reminds me Vaughan Williams especially the beautiful epic ending.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk

Dave (in MA)
03-22-2018, 05:53 PM
Any thoughts on these?

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Collins-Robertson-Anthony-Phillips/dp/B079J5WH4Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1521752423&sr=1-1-mp3-albums-bar-strip-0&keywords=KPM+phillips

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077PV51YC/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

JKL2000
08-03-2019, 11:32 AM
Who is Jonathan Dann (he writes notes for at least some of the Esoteric PP & P releases). I mean, what’s his relation with Ant?

Koreabruce
08-03-2019, 11:40 AM
He manages Ant's website and helps with locating and archiving tapes and other materials, etc. I've communicated with him via email in the past. Lovely chap!

Dave (in MA)
11-25-2023, 12:35 AM
New release of Gypsy Suite, remastered with a bonus track...

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/anthony-phillips-harry-williamson-gypsy-suite-remastered-expanded-edition/

Gizmotron
12-01-2023, 12:29 PM

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/anthony-phillips-harry-williamson-gypsy-suite-remastered-expanded-edition/

I don’t think I can resist!

Dan Roth
12-01-2023, 01:02 PM
Is Strings of Light still his most recent release?

Progatron
12-01-2023, 01:04 PM
Is Strings of Light still his most recent release?

Yes, not counting previously unheard bonus tracks on more recent reissues.

Dave (in MA)
01-10-2024, 05:57 PM

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/anthony-phillips-harry-williamson-gypsy-suite-remastered-expanded-edition/I don’t think I can resist!

The Cherry Red track list kind of misleadingly indicates that the last 5 tracks are all bonus tracks and puts "(previously unreleased)" underneath, but the first 4 "bonus tracks" were already on the original Voiceprint release.

Dave (in MA)
02-25-2024, 02:59 AM
I ended up just buying the bonus track on Qobuz.

Progatron
03-22-2024, 01:49 PM
Private Parts & Pieces XII: The Golden Hour out 31 May. I'm looking forward to it! Although I personally loved vol. 11, it wasn't very popular and I gather Ant wasn't keen to go down that path again.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/anthony-phillips-the-golden-hour-private-parts-and-pieces-xii-cd

Incidentally, my Garden of Delights show tomorrow (Saturday 23 at 5PM EST) is going to feature a triple shot of Ant tracks interspersed with snippets from an interview I did with him in 2019. Just for fun! that's on Deep Nuggets Radio.

Dave (in MA)
03-22-2024, 02:47 PM
What's the source for the claim that XI wasn't very popular?
(Aside from the fact that none of his stuff is very popular)

https://www.genesis-news.com/media/news/tgh.jpg

The eventual Esoteric clamshell box containing Vols. XII-XV will have better artwork, from Peter Cross. :p

Dan Roth
03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Private Parts & Pieces XII: The Golden Hour out 31 May.

I'm looking forward to this as well. Looking at the track listing, the last song is entitled "His Final Bow". I wonder if that means anything in regards to Ant wrapping up the series?

The eventual Esoteric clamshell box containing Vols. XII-XV will have better artwork, from Peter Cross. :p

I LOVE Cross' work. I wish a collection in book form would be published with all of his Ant covers.

Dave (in MA)
03-22-2024, 04:04 PM
Back on Page 6 I had asked about how to get ahold of AP's library music.
I had found quite of bit of his stuff at https://www.universalproductionmusic.com/en-us/discover/composers/5/Anthony-Edwin-Phillips that I could play through their web site, but when I asked about purchasing them I was told that their music catalog isn't for sale except through licensing agreements with the entertainment and media industries.
https://www.genesis-news.com/c-Anthony-Phillips-Recording-Compendium-Special-Library-Music-s826.html
I've subsequently found out that some has been made available as download on Amazon (and maybe elsewhere). Here are a few, and I'll add more if I come across them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077PV51YC/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CT63Q188/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079J5WH4Y/

Qobuz has another one, Docudrama:Night Scenes that sounds like generic TV show music that I think I can skip.

Progatron
03-22-2024, 04:30 PM
What's the source for the claim that XI wasn't very popular?

Anthony Phillips.

Gizmotron
03-22-2024, 05:57 PM
Anthony Phillips.

And you BELIEVED him????

I’m just joking!

Any new CD from Ant is a must; any new CD that he describes as classic PPP means I am beyond excited.

Thanks for the head’s up notice

Koreabruce
03-22-2024, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=Dan Roth;1234368]I'm looking forward to this as well. Looking at the track listing, the last song is entitled "His Final Bow". I wonder if that means anything in regards to Ant wrapping up the series?

It's the title of what was intended to be Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's last Sherlock Holmes short story (well, before he put out all of the stories in the lesser collection The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes in the 1920s). Great tale, by the way! Maybe Ant is a Holmes fan, or maybe he IS indeed saying something about hanging it all up. Regarding the latter, I'd like to think not.

Dave (in MA)
03-22-2024, 06:09 PM
Anthony Phillips.

Is there an interview somewhere?

Progatron
03-22-2024, 06:09 PM
And you BELIEVED him????

I’m just joking!

Any new CD from Ant is a must; any new CD that he describes as classic PPP means I am beyond excited.

Thanks for the head’s up notice

He seemed to know what he was talking about. :lol And you're very welcome, gotta tip off the Ant fans when I hear good news!

Gizmotron
03-22-2024, 06:12 PM
He seemed to know what he was talking about. :lol And you're very welcome, gotta tip off the Ant fans when I hear good news!

Absolutely!

Mr.Krautman
04-14-2024, 08:25 PM
Strangely enough, nobody mentioned 1984 so far.
It is usually dismissed by most A.P fans because it's mostly synth based with very little use of guitars, and a prominent early drum machine (Roland CR-78)
Ok, it doesnt "sound" like a classic ("pastoral" ?) A.P record, much more like a cross between R.Wakeman and Synergy.
But composition wise it's outstanding and one of the best "symphonic prog" A.P works. Very powerful and dynamic for a synth based record. This is definitely NOT "New Age".
Even if you don't like synths you should give it a try.
I consider 1984 among the top three A.P records and one of the best (if not THE best) electronic/keyboard instrumental progressive records ever. (Sorry Rick !)
Any other 1984 fans on the board ?

https://youtu.be/J4iPBQGgSZc?list=PLdktF-lL0yEYw_1yTPXpHhBs65vORUTEd

https://youtu.be/2wGzk3TMu2Y?list=PLdktF-lL0yEYw_1yTPXpHhBs65vORUTEd

moecurlythanu
04-14-2024, 08:52 PM
^ I like it, but it's not in my AP pantheon.

Dave (in MA)
04-14-2024, 09:22 PM
Strangely enough, nobody mentioned 1984 so far.
It got mentioned on most of the pages in this thread.

I like it, but depending on my mood, the crickets get on my nerves after a while.

Koreabruce
04-14-2024, 09:34 PM
I like it, but depending on my mood, the crickets get on my nerves after a while.

:lol Same here! I can usually overlook the little critters though. This record is unique within the Ant Phillips catalog: a solo work of almost all synth music that's not library music. The compositions and playing are superb and so unlike his usual fare (which I also love, and which is also excellent).

Mr.Krautman
04-14-2024, 09:37 PM
It got mentioned on most of the pages in this thread.

Only once actually, and briefly (post #9)

"CRickets" = CR-78 (courtesy of Roland, they called it "Guiro")

I concur this sound effect is overused in this record.

Dave (in MA)
04-14-2024, 09:44 PM
Only once actually, and briefly (post #9)

Mr.Krautman
04-14-2024, 10:16 PM

... and maybe others.
But except for #9 and #120 these are very brief (single word or short sentence) mentions hidden into other irrevelant (to 1984) comments.
Others are mine...

I thought 1984 deserved a little more attention since it's unique in A.P's discography.

Mr.Krautman
04-14-2024, 10:36 PM
:lol Same here! I can usually overlook the little critters though. This record is unique within the Ant Phillips catalog: a solo work of almost all synth music that's not library music. The compositions and playing are superb and so unlike his usual fare (which I also love, and which is also excellent).

My feelings too.
Some 25 years ago I had the project to re-play "1984" live with two additional keyboardists and a real drummer/percusionist (without the "crickets").
I was unable to locate a copy of the original scores and subsequently found the writing much more complex to decipher than I first thought. It's actually a very cleverly constructed composition.
For various reasons the project never materialized.

Dave (in MA)
04-14-2024, 11:48 PM
... and maybe others.
But except for #9 and #120 these are very brief (single word or short sentence) mentions hidden into other irrevelant (to 1984) comments.
Others are mine...

I thought 1984 deserved a little more attention since it's unique in A.P's discography.

Indeed.

Mr.Krautman
04-15-2024, 12:03 AM
"cricket", the culprit:

You can also hear it in Phil Collins 1st solo record and in some old Genesis tracks (can't remember which ones).

Nashorn
04-15-2024, 03:02 AM
"cricket", the culprit:

You can also hear it in Phil Collins 1st solo record and in some old Genesis tracks (can't remember which ones).

Most prominently in "Duchess".

Jacob
04-25-2024, 06:01 PM
I'm waiting for The Golden Hour.

Dave (in MA)
04-26-2024, 03:05 PM
A preview track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTkz45UAuPw

veteranof1000psychicwars
04-27-2024, 03:28 AM
Your interest in the podcast "Tabletop Genesis" may vary (mine does) but their new episode this week features a discussion about The Geese And The Ghost, including brand-new interview clips with Anthony offering lots of comments about the recording, and individual tracks.
They also flew to Ant's house and interviewed him there some years back, that episode is still available.

Koreabruce
04-27-2024, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. I thought Tabletop Genesis had folded a while back, but apparently, it had not. I'll check that out!

Jacob
04-27-2024, 12:31 PM
A preview track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTkz45UAuPw

Thank you !!!!

veteranof1000psychicwars
04-27-2024, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. I thought Tabletop Genesis had folded a while back, but apparently, it had not. I'll check that out!

Sure! It seems like they only do an episode every few months. The fun seemed to go out of it when Simon Godfrey left.

JKL2000
04-27-2024, 04:43 PM
Sure! It seems like they only do an episode every few months. The fun seemed to go out of it when Simon Godfrey left.

Gabriel's monthly releases of songs from i.o. and then that album's release has kept them on a regular monthly schedule for over a year now.