PDA

View Full Version : Artist Directory and Reviews?

wideopenears
11-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Are these going to disappear entirely? If not, where would they go?

Duncan Glenday
11-02-2012, 02:57 PM
They will not disappear. We will convert the articles, interviews, and reviews soon.

The artists directory will be more of a challenge - still gotta figure that one out.

Sean
11-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I'd miss the reviews more than the directory.

Rarebird
11-03-2012, 02:26 PM
I suppose the directory should be updated. Links that doesn't work, should be removed or replaced.

Greg
11-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Duncan, does this install of vB contain the suite plugins? Or, is it a basic forum install, only?

The suite contains blog and CMS functionality...not sure if you've seen this. But, there may be a reasonably way to migrate reviews and artists directory content to the CMS database and arrange some separation of content in there. I haven't seen the DB structure, yet, so I can't be certain.

Duncan Glenday
11-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Greg,

We purchased the full suite, including blogs (which we might - or might not decide to use) and CMS (which is where articles, interviews and reviews will go. Those will be upgraded / converted next.

I'll need to hack around for a bit to see if I can find a way to do a bulk conversion of the reviews. I.e. extract the HTML code from the old database, then see if I can find a way to bulk-load it here.

Rarebird
11-04-2012, 02:25 PM
I don't know if it's possible and I don't know if it would be a good idea, but how about transfering the reviews to the blog, so people might be able to give their comments on the reviews?

Chuck AzEee!
11-04-2012, 11:58 PM
I also had a concern about the reviews section. I hope something positive can be worked out. Also I'm long overdue ion my PE donations, please let me know where I can donate?

Duncan Glenday
11-05-2012, 12:32 AM
We'll have the donations system set up here fairly soon...

Greg
11-08-2012, 04:45 PM
I'll need to hack around for a bit to see if I can find a way to do a bulk conversion of the reviews. I.e. extract the HTML code from the old database, then see if I can find a way to bulk-load it here.

Do you have direct access to the DB, here? I can help with an ETL plan, if you need.

Duncan Glenday
11-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Greg,

I'm actually not sure. I'll have to ask the ISP.

What ETL are you thinking of?

Greg
11-08-2012, 07:47 PM
There's got to be a way to transition DB columns from the existing MSS DB tables to a vB-compatible format before import to MySQL. I'm not sure what your artist directory and reviews data structure looks like, but we may be able to convert it between extraction and load ('Extraction, Transition, Load").

We can probably talk about this off-line, as well.

Duncan Glenday
11-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Extracting from SQL Server is the easy part.

I don't yet know anything about the structure of the CMS, or its database. That's research that I plan to start in a few weeks time.

Greg
11-08-2012, 10:17 PM
To make things easier, don't dump the data until you have a transition and import plan. MSSQL dumps don't always import well to MySQL. Some datatype juggling may be needed. But, I'd recommend CSV into a structure that matches the destination MySQL table so that a simple LOAD DATA INFILE statement can handle the import, cleanly. It may require an interim DB if things are a bit too wonky for a simple column juggling.

I should just be e-mailing this to you, shouldn't I?

Duncan Glenday
11-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Yep - I was thinking of CSVs.

(Text modifications in Excel are the poor-man's ETL :lol )