PDA

View Full Version : Led Zeppelin-Celebration Day

Adm.Kirk
11-19-2012, 03:11 PM
I got to hear/see it over the weekend. It is so much better than what was on bootlegs and some of those weren't bad at all, but the film really shows the inner chemistry better than the boots did. I think everyone had a good idea it was going to be good from the boots but to hear it and see it done properly really brings the concert to life.

Bill

Sean
11-19-2012, 03:25 PM
I got it early from a store that does not give a damn about selling things early. I think everything you said is on the money. The mix is incredibly powerful too! HIGHLY suggested!

Sean
11-19-2012, 03:25 PM
PS Jimmy is one sweatly MOFO! I'd have fans blowing on me if I was him.

battema
11-19-2012, 03:31 PM
PS Jimmy is one sweatly MOFO! I'd have fans blowing on me if I was him.

Strike the word "on" and that might also be accurate :D

Dedatolo
11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
I saw the film in a cinema on October 17th, awesome !!!! I wish I could be like them at 67 years old, not to say PLAY like them !!!!

calyx
11-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Haven't bought this yet but I saw it today in a record store - I'm probably going to get the package that includes the 2CD set plus DVD of the show plus a DVD of, it says, the full dress rehearsal at Shepperton Studios. Good value for money (this sells for about 25 euros iirc).

Sean
11-19-2012, 04:15 PM
My only gripe is JPJ should just play a Fender the whole show. The fretless Fender on In My Time of Dying punches through the mix in a way his custom shop 4 string w/active pickups just does not.

Jerjo
11-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Ordered it. Now if Jimmy would just get the whole catalog out on 180 vinyl.

Looking at the Kashmir video - it looks like Jason's kit is almost identical to his dad's, JPJ is NOT playing a mellotron, and Page is using a Les Paul instead of the Danelectro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PD-MdiUm1_Y

Frumious B
11-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Haven't watched the DVD yet, but I've played some of the audio and it kicks butt. The only issue is that there is this annoying high pitched whine across most of the recording. The rumor is that it is noise from Plant's teleprompter that made its way into the mix somehow. I guess everyone involved in the production of the disc must be missing a lot of top end from their hearing or something. It's not a dealbreaker, but it's a nuisance if you are sensitive to that sort of thing.

Gravedigger
11-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Are there additional musicians and/or backing vocalists on stage, or is it all Zep?

Sean
11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
All Zep. 4 piece.

Rufus
11-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Saw it in the cinema...great experience in high definition! Highlights were The ocean, Dazed and confused & Kashmir. Plant's pipes arnt wot they use to be but Page and JPJ were faultless .

Arkangel3
11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Oh...you'll love this. I got this from Amazon and it was supposed to be the Blu Ray/2CD/Extra DVD version; they sent me the 2 CD/2 DVD version. I was so excited when I got it, I opened it, ripped it to the Mac...loved it. Watched a couple of songs on what turned out to be the DVD...loved it. As a matter of fact, I thought it was a Blu Ray (that's how good it is). Guess what? They are replacing my set at no cost, and it will be delivered TOMORROW. Now THAT is a company to do business with. Love 'em. And I cannot wait to see the Blu Ray. Of course, the set I have will be returned to them in a day or so. I'm just upset that they dropped the ball with something I've waited a long time to see (with all those versions, I just *knew* something was going to screw up)...but it happens. Kudos to Amazon for (hopefully) righting a wrong. And let this be a lesson to all you bands out there: Put out no more than 2 or three versions of a set...what does this one have, something like 5 or 6 versions out there?

Adm.Kirk
11-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Agree about the choice of Jones' bass. The Fender cuts more. I never realized he played a fretless on IMToD until I saw him on the DVD. I haven't heard any high pitched whine on mine, but I couldn't really crank it so maybe that's why. I think there are a total of 6 versions. Vinyl comes out 12/10. Really looking forward to see what that sounds like.

Plant can't get those high notes like he used to, but I'm fine with his approach. He still commands those songs.

I like the use of the bootleg footage, at least I assume it's bootleg footage, that's used. I think Dick Carruther's did a great job with it and I like the fact that the flubs were left in as well. Good decision by Page.

Bill

R_burke
11-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Haven't watched the DVD yet, but I've played some of the audio and it kicks butt. The only issue is that there is this annoying high pitched whine across most of the recording. The rumor is that it is noise from Plant's teleprompter that made its way into the mix somehow. I guess everyone involved in the production of the disc must be missing a lot of top end from their hearing or something. It's not a dealbreaker, but it's a nuisance if you are sensitive to that sort of thing.

Anyone else care to comment on this issue? It could be a show stopper for me

mozo-pg
11-19-2012, 07:52 PM
I picked up the Blu Ray version. My accountant would like to speak with PE's management. Cha Ching again.

IMWeasel
11-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Ive only checked out the numerous boots on youtube, and seen 2 officially released cuts via youtube as well. Suffice it to say this will end up in my collection, but I'll probably pick it up for xmas for my stepdad (who's a bigger Zephead than even I am!)

Oreb
11-20-2012, 05:17 AM
I haven't heard any of the boots so came to this with an open mind - and I love it. The best version of "No Quarter" I've ever heard and everything else is just terrific.

gregory
11-20-2012, 07:42 AM
I wanted to order b-ray + 2CD, but on their site this item is 'currently unavailable'. Too many preorders maybe.

Rufus
11-20-2012, 09:33 AM
I haven't heard any of the boots so came to this with an open mind - and I love it. The best version of "No Quarter" I've ever heard and everything else is just terrific.

Have to agree....No Quarter is the highlight for me. This is one of those songs that the live version significantly improves on the the studio take. Awesome !!!!!

Chuck AzEee!
11-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Have to agree....No Quarter is the highlight for me. This is one of those songs that the live version significantly improves on the the studio take. Awesome !!!!! Always loved this song and off of my all time favorite Zeppelin album.

BravadoNJ
11-20-2012, 07:03 PM
got it yesterday, so far i only listened to the CD's this morning. it's a good performance, the sound is great. but anyone notice that Stairway To Heaven seemed a bit off. Plant was mumbling his way through it and the guitar solo seemed like patchwork. i know Plant hates to do this song, but he couldn't do his best on it like the other tracks. the band sounded great. Jason did his father proud.

Rixx
11-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Picked up the 2cds + Blu Ray + Bonus DVD package. I'm digging it so far.

Blu ray looks great.

per anporth
11-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Just watched the Blu Ray of the gig - I had a couple of bootlegs, so thought I knew what I was in for - how wrong I was - this is just extraordinary - the performances are outstanding, & the sound quality is superb. The editing of the film is slightly twitchy for my likes, but not to the point where it becomes a distraction.

Their decision to keep it tight, to focus on the songs, as it were, pays off handsomely. By the time you get to Rock & Roll - well, if you can watch it through without a goofy smile & a wee tear in the eye, you're better than me!

Magnificent.

UnephenStephen
11-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Zeppelin rules. this is next on my Xmas list..

Adm.Kirk
11-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Just watched the Blu Ray of the gig - I had a couple of bootlegs, so thought I knew what I was in for - how wrong I was - this is just extraordinary

Same here. Could not agree more.

Bill

Arkangel3
11-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Absolutely an extraordinary album and Blu Ray! The songs from "Presence" have so much passion behind them it's scary...and a killer version of "No Quarter" that will leave you speechless! Page (notorious for his sloppiness at times) is sloppy enough for style's sake, but otherwise he is at his best here. The guy just slays every note he plays. Jason Bonham more than did justice to his dad's legacy...he cemented it with his own brilliant imprint on it. He is incredible. Plant sings well and hits some notes that I never knew he still had in him and puts a new take on some old favorites along the way. But JPJ...JPJ is the icing on the cake. He is so good that I cannot even tell you in words except for "amazing". His bass playing is rock solid and a great foundation for the music, and his keyboard playing is exemplary. This is truly Zep at its finest. My wife came down to the man cave when I was cranking the Blu-Ray and watching it and she remarked, "OMG! I thought this was them from the 70's! They sound fantastic...damn, they got old!" Great comment, and it's apropos as they do sound like they did in their heyday. The real revelation is the DVD with the rehearsals...that is INCREDIBLE stuff as they embellish, change the melodies, jam like crazy, and go over every little detail of the coming show. They are perfectionists in every way and always were...the set itself is housed in a nice CD sized slipcase with a fine booklet. And the Blu Ray (if you can get it) is absolutely AMAZING picture wise, sound wise...and the direction, the cuts to various musicians, the audience, the effects...all extremely well done. All in all one of the year's best.

Kim Olesen
11-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Who plays the bass when Jpj is on keys. Does not sound like bass pedals to me. Specially not on Trampled Underfoot.

Sean
11-26-2012, 06:56 PM
It's his foot.

mnprogger
11-26-2012, 09:02 PM
#1 on rym 2012 chart.
http://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/2012

BravadoNJ
11-26-2012, 09:34 PM
i just watched the DVD tonight....... No Quarter & Kashmir are awesome!

Sean
11-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Those are both keyboard tunes.

Sunlight Caller
11-27-2012, 02:00 AM
I tried so hard to get into this gig, and had some friends who managed, some of them not major Zep fans at all. I never saw a boot and was sceptical, but picked this 4 disc set up last week and was transfixed. I saw their last ever UK show at Knebworth all of those decades ago, how I would have loved to be in the O2 that night. Jason is awesome in his Dad's role too.

Dan Marsh
11-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Wonderful dvd.....they sure were having a good time that night!

wideopenears
11-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Oh, I gotta get this!

Jerjo
11-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Finally got my official copy and put on the DVD, cranked through the living room stereo (the serious one). Man, what a bottom end on this recording. Young Jason is downright authoritative on those skins.

gregory
12-02-2012, 05:23 PM
No Quarter was a highlight IMO. And I was pleasantly surprized to hear For Your Life - now with a proper sound! Great atmosphere, amazing show. Jason Bonham surely knows how to hit the drums for LZ, but...he's not as varied and inventive, as his dad was. For example, on slow, down-tempo songs - like Since I've Been Loving You, - JB sounds a bit rough. Not very delicate performance, I mean. On rock songs he is way more convictive.

mnprogger
12-03-2012, 01:09 AM
if it hasn't already been mentioned, Plant, Page and Jones are going on Letterman tomorrow night (12/3), and the speculation is something big may get announced (a tour, or new music, or both?)

Joe F.
12-03-2012, 08:13 AM
if it hasn't already been mentioned, Plant, Page and Jones are going on Letterman tomorrow night (12/3), and the speculation is something big may get announced (a tour, or new music, or both?)

That would be cool, but I doubt it.

Letterman and Zeppelin were both honored at the Kennedy Center last night. This will most likely be an interview about that and the new Celebration day release. If they were going to announce a tour, they'd probably hold a press conference with reps from the music industry present and not on a late-night talk show.

mnprogger
12-03-2012, 12:49 PM
That would be cool, but I doubt it.

Letterman and Zeppelin were both honored at the Kennedy Center last night. This will most likely be an interview about that and the new Celebration day release. If they were going to announce a tour, they'd probably hold a press conference with reps from the music industry present and not on a late-night talk show.

well, perhaps, but for what it's worth, Mike Portnoy posted this yesterday on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/MikePortnoy/status/275465054726541313

Hmmm...mark my words: I have a feeling something's brewing with Led Zeppelin...I don't think Celebration Day is the final chapter...hmmm

Adm.Kirk
12-03-2012, 01:58 PM
They will probably promote the re-release of the catologue for next year. I don't think they will ever play live again unless there is some special charity event and I have my doubts about that. Plant has a new album ready to drop so he's not going to put his record on hold for Zeppelin.

Bill

Sean
12-03-2012, 02:18 PM
As long as he's not the drummer the news is good, whatever it is.

Jerjo
12-03-2012, 04:12 PM
OK, on review of the DVD, it looks like Page has three different amp rigs set up on his side of the stage. Can one of you gearheads let me know what he's got going on there?

Never mind, I found a list of it here. Still would have liked to have seen the Danelectro

http://everydayguitargear.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/jimmy-page/

ajcmixer
12-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Just purchased it this morning, np: Nobody's Fault But Mine and this is, for December 2007, simply f**king fantastic. Plant's voice is wayyyy wayyyy wayyyy better than I ever thought or could have expected it to be. No Quarter is my fave Zep song and I haven't gotten to it yet but this DVD is already an unqualified success even before I get to hear that particular song. IMHO it is beautifully recorded and wonderfully filmed with a perfectly paced set whose songs are an excellent cross-section of a vast and great catalog and the rest of the band is on fiyah! For a bunch of old geezers they represented...:up :up...and the younger buck behind the skins didn't do too bad, either...;)

Peace,
Alex

trurl
12-27-2012, 04:20 PM
I heard some band just butchering Ramble On the other day on the radio... I remember thinking the singer sounded sort of like Plant, but not really; more like Plant as re-interpreted by a 90's singer. And the guitar player sounded nothing like Page; his tone was very grunge and he was playing without any of the finesse or feel that the original had. Then the dj comes on and says, "That was Led Zeppelin from Celebration Day!!"

I think he was freakin' high though. It just sounded nothing like them at all and I've checked out some UTube video and even in bootleg quality it sounds better than what I was hearing. Plus, what I was hearing didn't sound live at all.

IMWeasel
12-27-2012, 09:48 PM
I got this for my birthday a few days ago .... I am totally transfixed! If this is the final statement that Led Zeppelin makes, they definitely went out on a high note.

JIF
12-27-2012, 10:18 PM
I heard some band just butchering Ramble On the other day on the radio... I remember thinking the singer sounded sort of like Plant, but not really; more like Plant as re-interpreted by a 90's singer. And the guitar player sounded nothing like Page; his tone was very grunge and he was playing without any of the finesse or feel that the original had. Then the dj comes on and says, "That was Led Zeppelin from Celebration Day!!"

I think he was freakin' high though. It just sounded nothing like them at all and I've checked out some UTube video and even in bootleg quality it sounds better than what I was hearing. Plus, what I was hearing didn't sound live at all.I'll bet it was Train or Fuel butchering Ramble On.

Jerjo
12-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Jif is right, it was likely Train and the DJ was an idiot.

JIF
12-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Jif is right, it was likely Train and the DJ was an idiot.The members of Train and Fuel did a version of Ramble On together; I heard it on a morning radio show. According to Wikipedia, Train covered and released Ramble On as a single in '01.

trurl
12-28-2012, 12:02 AM
The members of Train and Fuel did a version of Ramble On together; I heard it on a morning radio show. According to Wikipedia, Train covered and released Ramble On as a single in '01.

I bet that's it. Sounds about right...

Vic2012
12-28-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm gonna look for it at Best Buy. Hope they have it. My kid gave me a BB gift card so that seems like a good way to spend it.

UnephenStephen
12-29-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm gonna look for it at Best Buy. Hope they have it. My kid gave me a BB gift card so that seems like a good way to spend it.just saw it online (BestBuy). there's a bunch of different versions varying in price. 2 CD's + standard DVD: 21.99 - 2 CD's + BluRay: 26.99, etc.

if anybody has the 4 disc set with the bonus DVD, what exactly is on the bonus DVD and is it worth getting?

Sean
12-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm gonna look for it at Best Buy. Hope they have it. My kid gave me a BB gift card so that seems like a good way to spend it.

You are gonna poop!

UnephenStephen
12-29-2012, 01:22 PM
so about that bonus DVD..

Adm.Kirk
12-29-2012, 01:52 PM
It's what it is. There are tracks on the bonus DVD that are better than the actual performance and vice versa. It's a rehearsal. It's more enjoyable as audio than video since it's just a reference shot with no close ups.

Bill

Koreabruce
12-29-2012, 09:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0HIxMqIhHs
It's what it is. There are tracks on the bonus DVD that are better than the actual performance and vice versa. It's a rehearsal. It's more enjoyable as audio than video since it's just a reference shot with no close ups.

Bill

Seconded. It's a single-camera shoot done from the back of the room as they are rehearsing at Shepperton Studios. While it's true that there are no directly-filmed close-up shots, you do in fact get to see some "second-hand" close-ups via the video screens. I personally prefer the rehearsal versions of "In My Time of Dying" and "Since I've Been Loving You." After the latter, Plant himself asks the sound guy, "Did you record that? We haven't played it that well since around 1910!"

Vic2012
12-29-2012, 10:09 PM
just saw it online (BestBuy). there's a bunch of different versions varying in price. 2 CD's + standard DVD: 21.99 - 2 CD's + BluRay: 26.99, etc.

if anybody has the 4 disc set with the bonus DVD, what exactly is on the bonus DVD and is it worth getting?

I just want the basic DVD. No CDs or extras, just the performance.

Adm.Kirk
12-30-2012, 01:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0HIxMqIhHs
"Did you record that? We haven't played it that well since around 1910!"

That's one of the higlights of the bonus DVD. I also like No Quarter as well. Plant trips over a monitor during the solo section.

I bet it was cool just to sit at Shepperton and watch them rehearse.

Bill

UnephenStephen
12-30-2012, 02:08 PM
I just want the basic DVD. No CDs or extras, just the performance.they don't sell it in that format. all the ones i saw were CD + DVD (or BluRay) combination box sets or the CD only digipak or the BluRay only. check out BestBuy - they're all there.

and speaking of which (to everybody), BB is having a year end clearance sale right now. just ordered the 2 CD + DVD box set for 21.99 (originally 29.98) so i saved $8. and best of all i only had to use one of my 3 BB gift cards to buy it.

forgot to mention there is free shipping if you choose basic shipping. unfortunately it will take over a week to arrive. but hey, if you can wait..

Vic2012
01-13-2013, 06:54 AM
they don't sell it in that format. all the ones i saw were CD + DVD (or BluRay) combination box sets or the CD only digipak or the BluRay only. check out BestBuy - they're all there.

Yeah you're right. I received an Amazon gift card so I purchased Celebration Day at Amazon. I got the 2CD+2DVD set. With shipping it came out to 28 bucks and change. The gift card had 30 bucks on it, so I made out okay. The only thing I don't quite get is that "new" sets were listed at 25.00, "used" sets were listed at 27 dollars and change. Or am I not understanding something?

Anyway, I should have the set by mid-week. Looking forward to it. I've yet to read a bad review about this concert. I never thought LZ could pull it off seeing how old Bobby and Jimmy have gotten. I'll post a review after I've had a chance to watch the thing.

JIF
01-13-2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah you're right. I received an Amazon gift card so I purchased Celebration Day at Amazon. I got the 2CD+2DVD set. With shipping it came out to 28 bucks and change. The gift card had 30 bucks on it, so I made out okay. The only thing I don't quite get is that "new" sets were listed at 25.00, "used" sets were listed at 27 dollars and change. Or am I not understanding something?

Anyway, I should have the set by mid-week. Looking forward to it. I've yet to read a bad review about this concert. I never thought LZ could pull it off seeing how old Bobby and Jimmy have gotten. I'll post a review after I've had a chance to watch the thing.Some outside sellers are crocks. I've been deal with Amazon for years. Something could be advertised on Amazon for $20, but outsider sellers could have it for $25, $40, or $100.

Jerjo
01-18-2013, 12:39 AM
Some interesting things in the Zep interviews in the issue of Mojo with Plant, Page, and Jones on the cover. Apparently all the albums will be reissued with studio outtakes. I'm not going to replace my CDs but this might mean that we will finally get 180g vinyl of those albums. Also, all though Plant shot down the reunion idea and Page refuses to release the new music he, JPJ, and Jason recorded, Jones said he wasn't too thrilled about the idea of a Zeppelin-size stadium tour.

JIF
01-18-2013, 12:47 AM
Some interesting things in the Zep interviews in the issue of Mojo with Plant, Page, and Jones on the cover. Apparently all the albums will be reissued with studio outtakes. I'm not going to replace my CDs but this might mean that we will finally get 180g vinyl of those albums. Also, all though Plant shot down the reunion idea and Page refuses to release the new music he, JPJ, and Jason recorded, Jones said he wasn't too thrilled about the idea of a Zeppelin-size stadium tour.The news about the albums being reissued is old news from a few months back. IF there's studio outtakes, I'm in. However, I'm out if the price is too high.

Vic2012
01-18-2013, 04:46 AM
I got the package yesterday. Brand new, shrink-wrapped and all that. I haven't had time to view much at all but I played the bonus disk. I was hoping for interviews or maybe a mini documentary or something, but instead it was mostly just the entire rehearsal of the concert, a BBC news clip, and a news clip from the 70s when Zep sold out Tampa Stadium. It's historical and all that but I was really hoping for interviews and stuff like that. But that's only a minor complaint. I'll try and watch the concert DVD this weekend. The CDs I'll get around to at some point.

ItalProgRules
01-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Just finished watching a borrowed copy...not bad at all. Better than I thought it would be.

Vic2012
01-20-2013, 06:24 AM
I watched a little more than half the concert DVD last night. WOW!:O You guys weren't kidding. I'm shocked at how good they played. The magic nd the chemistry were all there. It's a shame they couldn't have done a reunion like this with Jason 20 years ago and gone on tour. Jason Bonham is a rock-solid, drummer. He doesn't sound like his father, he's more like neil Peart I think, but he's got Bonzo's heaviness. Jimmy Page is just killer. He almost sounds grungey and obnoxious on this concert. And you really see/hear the value of JPJ. He's always been the "quiet Zepper" but he was really the glue that kept it together. Truly amazing. I'm glad I made this purchase.

That's 3 Zeppelin DVDs I have now and all of them are spectacular. The first one is the the BIG one from 10 years ago, the second one I have is the Plant/Page "No Quarter" DVD, which is technically not Zeppelin but who're we kidding, it's Led Zeppelin for the grunge 90s, and it's awesome. I'm really amazed at how strong they sound at that O2 Arena thing. Led Zep could make a living doing one concert a year, and people would flock to see them from all over the world.

Kim Olesen
01-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Watching the dvd is great. But listening to the cd, where the visuals don't play in on the experience it sounds like Pages gingers are getting old. The solos sound noisy and often a bit incoherent.

Vic2012
01-20-2013, 07:05 AM
The solos sound noisy and often a bit incoherent.

True, but that's part of the charm (imo). The visuals do help though. The facial expressions, the lows slung guitar, etc. You can tell they're totally into it and having a blast. That's what makes it so magical. And really, that's why I've never been a huge fan of live albums. For me the "live" experience includes the visuals (not light shows, I mean I wanna see the band play). Again, my only disappointment was that there weren't interviews or maybe a short documentary.

Sean
01-20-2013, 12:32 PM
I don't really go to Page for great live solos. It's more about those amazing riffs and the songs they go in.

Vic2012
01-22-2013, 05:58 AM
I saw the whole concert, finally. I can't gush enough about how cool it is. I'm referring to the performance, the filming, production, visuals, etc. I can't believe that show was 5 years ago already. I doubt the world will ever see something like that again. Anyway, I don't care what anyone says about Jimmy Page, he was (and is) a badass, rock guitarist. He steals the show on this DVD. He's loud, brash, and cocky. I'll have to watch it a few more times in the coming weeks before it really sinks in but so far the standout performances are Dazed and Confused, and Kashmir. Jimmy's just crazy on Kashmir with all those loud, huge power chords. Now, honestly when I saw Dazed and Confused in the setlist I thought "Jeez, another live version of D&C (as if there aren't 10,000 live versions of that song I don't have alreay)." Great song, but overplayed. I know Robert makes a comment about D&C being one of those songs that they have to play, and all that. I think this version is damn cool. They kept it short (about 12 minutes) for once ;) and Jimmy's psychedelic, wah-wah drenched guitar is just sick. A great, great concert DVD. I haven't bothered with the CDs yet but I'll get around to 'em eventually.

happytheman
01-23-2013, 06:43 AM
Just watched this (or part of it) last night. Got it as a Christmas present and just getting around to finding an evening to watch. My wife fell asleep during Since I've been loving you.... "too many notes" she said when I nudged her so she could watch Stairway to Heaven (after which we paused it). I'm a big Zeppelin fan and I've got dozen's of recordings from the 70's (live) so I know full well Jimmy's live performances can be.... so with that said.... I just wish he would stick to the solo's I grew up with. The songs would sound so much better. He try's to squeeze too much in too little space and it ends up being a sloppy performance. He's a brilliant guitarist ..... ok I'll stop whining and just move on. Robert surprised me with his performance, he "went" for it a couple of times where I felt certain he would play it safe. I understand why they didn't continue with the "world tour" etc. A one off performance much like Floyd's one off is plenty.

jkelman
01-23-2013, 08:18 AM
I just wish he would stick to the solo's I grew up with. The songs would sound so much better. He try's to squeeze too much in too little space and it ends up being a sloppy performance. He's a brilliant guitarist ..... ok I'll stop whining and just move on. .
With all due respect, can you imagine how boring that would be for the musician? To have to regurgitate the sake solo night after night (I know this was a one-off, but it wasn't necessarily so at the time)? Most (not all) musicians who consider themselves improvising musicians find the real joy in not repeating themselves.

That said, I though Page did a great job in referencing original solos, and then departing...including on Stairway and Good Times, in particular.

I'm nowhere near the same level, but if I had to repeat myself every night? Well, I'd go mad...or madder anyway, depending on your perception of how I already am... :)

Anyway, no disrespect intended...you're by no means the only person I know who feels this way, but just propping a counter-argument. There's something to be said for faithful recreation, when so,so have been worked out as integral to the song (genesis springs immediately to mind), but Zeppelin was always an improvising band. My surprise (and pleasure) was that while they stretched out the material, they didn't go so far as in the day, where some songs were 25-30 mins.

Me? I was so surprised at how great this show was I traded in my two-CD set and upgraded to the full enchilada, with Blu Ray and bonus DVD...and i'm glad I did....if for no other reason than the rehearsals give you a chance to hear yet another crack at the songs...solos and all ;)

JIF
01-23-2013, 08:07 PM
With all due respect, can you imagine how boring that would be for the musician? To have to regurgitate the sake solo night after night (I know this was a one-off, but it wasn't necessarily so at the time)? Most (not all) musicians who consider themselves improvising musicians find the real joy in not repeating themselves.

That said, I though Page did a great job in referencing original solos, and then departing...including on Stairway and Food Times, in particular.

I'm nowhere near the same level, but if I had to repeat myself every night? Well, I'd go mad...or madder anyway, depending on your perception of how I already am... :)

Anyway, no disrespect intended...you're by no means the only person I know who feels this way, but just propping a counter-argument. There's something to be said for faithful recreation, when so,so have been worked out as integral to the song (genesis springs immediately to mind), but Zeppelin was always an improvising band. My surprise (and pleasure) was that while they stretched out the material, they didn't go so far as in the day, where some songs were 25-30 mins.

Me? I was so surprised at how great this show was I traded in my two-CD set and upgraded to the full enchilada, with Blu Ray and bonus DVD...and i'm glad I did....if for no other reason than the rehearsals give you a chance to hear yet another crack at the songs...solos and all ;)For the life of me, I have never heard the of the song Food Times.

per anporth
01-24-2013, 04:31 AM
That said, I though Page did a great job in referencing original solos, and then departing...including on Stairway and Food Times, in particular.

Me? I was so surprised at how great this show was I traded in my two-CD set and upgraded to the full enchilada, with Blu Ray and bonus DVD...and i'm glad I did....if for no other reason than the rehearsals give you a chance to hear yet another crack at the songs...solos and all ;)

I agree John - I thought that the way Page referenced 2 or 3 of the moments from "classic" performances of Stairway was a neat way of embracing a song that, as a band, was clearly not the one they were most enamoured of playing (by contrast, the performances of Misty Mountain Hop, For Your Life, Trampled Underfoot & Nobody's Fault are just scintillating - fresh, exhilarating, full of brio & fun).

I said tis earlier on thread, but I'll indulge myself by saying it again - I'd heard a couple of pretty good boots of this show - but nothing prepared me for the quality of this recording - the cds are fine, but this is one of the very few concert dvds/blu-rays that I have already watched over & over - it is dynamite.

If this is their last show together - & I suspect it probably will be - then, what a glorious way to go.

(btw, John - completely OT - have you seen the single camera recording of VdGG's 2005 Brescia show? it's on youtube - it is also blistering, & Jaxon turns in a stunning performance - by chance, the guy recording the show appears to have been a Jaxon fan, & the camera spends much of its time focused on him - the way his mic picked up the sound of the band also tends to highlight the sax in the mix)

Vic2012
01-24-2013, 05:09 AM
If this is their last show together - & I suspect it probably will be - then, what a glorious way to go.

Yeah, I can't get over how good this concert was. There were no acoustic sets (which one would think they'd do since that's always been part of their concert). I can't say it enough, Jimmy Page (even if he might've been a little sloppy) used his guitar like a weapon of mass destruction at that concert. It was just magical. Those lucky sons o' bitches who witnessed that show live will have something to cherish forever. The other thing I really loved seeing was Jason, just having the time of his life up there. You can see/feel the emotion pouring out and the love he has for his "uncles." I swear I almost shed a tear watching him. I know I keep saying this, but damn I wish there would've been some interviews with the band. That's one thing I always look forward to when I buy a concert DVD, the interviews, and "making of" documentaries. I haven't bothered watching the whole rehearsal DVD. I watched a couple rehearsal bits but no way can I sit through the whole concert (the rehearsal) like that. I think the fact that it was a one-off is why it's so good. I couldn't imagine them touring today (even small tours like Cream did a few years ago). They'd flame out too quickly.

Adm.Kirk
01-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Don't dismiss that rehearsal footage. Some of the versions there are better than the actual show. I know it's just a reference camera shot and the visual isn't much but some of the performances are hot.

Bill

Sean
01-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Don't dismiss that rehearsal footage. Some of the versions there are better than the actual show. Bill

Which?

jkelman
01-24-2013, 11:41 PM
For the life of me, I have never heard the of the song Food Times.
D"OH-EST!! :)

jkelman
01-24-2013, 11:58 PM
(btw, John - completely OT - have you seen the single camera recording of VdGG's 2005 Brescia show? it's on youtube - it is also blistering, & Jaxon turns in a stunning performance - by chance, the guy recording the show appears to have been a Jaxon fan, & the camera spends much of its time focused on him - the way his mic picked up the sound of the band also tends to highlight the sax in the mix)
No I haven't...but I will....just as soon as I get back from England after Feb3 (leaving Saturday and much as I've love to check this out NOW!! I need to be a good boy and get my work done. But I'll definitely check it out.
<20 minutes later>
Argh. You bastard. I just thought I'd check a couple mins....I really have to hit the sack, but need to carve out a couple hours when I get back - blistering is an understatement. While I stand by my previous comments that I am still in love with this band as a trio and don't miss Jaxon per se,had he been able to stay on and the group continued to play like this? Damn!!!!

JIF
01-25-2013, 01:17 AM
At last!!! I finally found a copy of this at my local target(it's within walking distance from my house). Hope all the great things said about this package are true. For the longest time I was against classic rocks rocking out when they look like they should be retiring, but I changed my mind after seeing bands like Iron Butterfly and Marshall Tucker put on a pretty good show a few years ago.

JIF
01-25-2013, 04:03 AM
Update:skimmed through some of the DVD. The band plays great, and Robert sung well. I miss his younger voice(especially on Good Times, Bad Times), but he sang great. Love his voice on Ramble On. I just have one question:how come people have a problem with Yes tempos, but not with Robert's voice?

Vic2012
01-25-2013, 04:28 AM
I've only watched the concert DVD once. I mentioned on the lip syncing thread that I'm impressed by this Zeppelin performance because despite them being old, it's still them performing. No autotune, no backing tracks, no hidden musicians (as far as I know). I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if there might've been some "sweetening" here and there when the DVD was being mixed/produced. But there have been some minor complaints about Jimmy playing a little sloppy. But there ya go. You don't expect Jimmy Page to play a flawless solo, exactley as it is on the record. Now, Roberts voice is damn good on this performance, but he sounds weathered. He's an old man. He spent years shreiking and shredding his voice. And after all is said and done, we all love this performance. I think the glue that held it all together were Jason and JPJ.

happytheman
01-25-2013, 07:47 AM
I agree John - I thought that the way Page referenced 2 or 3 of the moments from "classic" performances of Stairway was a neat way of embracing a song that, as a band, was clearly not the one they were most enamoured of playing

I hear ya,.... but I'd take Song Remains the Same solo's over these anyday. I've got recordings of the "rehearsals" as well as the performance,
gotta go back and listen to rehearsal to see if I hear any differences.

Vic2012
01-25-2013, 09:51 AM
Played CD1 this morning and started listening to CD2. I'll comment more when I can type on a computer key board. I'm loving the CDs.

trurl
01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Food times, fad times, you know I've had my share.

Sean
01-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Update:skimmed through some of the DVD. The band plays great, and Robert sung well. I miss his younger voice(especially on Good Times, Bad Times), but he sang great. Love his voice on Ramble On. I just have one question:how come people have a problem with Yes tempos, but not with Robert's voice?

Because they are two totally unrealated things despite you lumping them together.

Beyond that, a dragging tempo sucks the life out of a tune quicker than a change in the singer's voice. IMO

Adm.Kirk
01-25-2013, 03:59 PM
Since I've Been Loving You, for one. I also tend to favor Stairway and Whole Lotta Love from the rehearsal footage.

Bill

JIF
01-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Because they are two totally unrealated things despite you lumping them together.

Beyond that, a dragging tempo sucks the life out of a tune quicker than a change in the singer's voice. IMOThey aren't completely unrelated. They both can ruin one's enjoyment of a show. Plus, both are a flaw with a band, one is just with the voice, while one is fault with a band.

ajcmixer
01-25-2013, 04:44 PM

Beyond that, a dragging tempo sucks the life out of a tune quicker than a change in the singer's voice. IMO

QFT.

I saw the TAAB tour last year, knowing IMHO that Ian hasn't had it for decades. And until my "neighbors" decided to kill the good karma, I was having a splendid time. Why? Because he/they (the band) was presenting the music at the original tempo. But if they hadn't I would have had smoke coming out of my ears. The vocalist I can put aside if need to, the way the MUSIC should be presented based on its originally recorded version: No. That, IMHO, must be on point or it will IMHO begin to affect my enjoyment, in increments as the tempo is not adhered to.

Peace,
Alex

Vic2012
01-25-2013, 09:27 PM
You could tell they were tired on Disk 2. But overall I think they were great. Yeah, it's noisy and raw, but that's what's so cool about this concert. It's loud, brash, and grungey. No backing tracks or sampled noises. I honestly think this is one of the best live performances by Led Zeppelin ever. Disk 1 is just total abandon, full of piss and vinegar. God I love this version of Dazed And Confused. It's psychedelic, British Metal up the ass. :bad

jkelman
01-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Robert's voice has deepened with age, which is generally a natural occurrence that singers can't really do anything about. But based on Celebration Day, I'd say he has adapted extraordinarily well to when it comes to singing the material.

The bottom line is: age hits us all, but if you can't adapt properly, then you should drop the material. If Plant isunable to adapt the material to his lower range in a way that felt good, felt credible and still had the power, then he shouldn't be singing it - and there may well be tunes, in fact, that Zep dropped from the set for that very reason (we'll probably never know, this is just a suspicion). If the only way Yes can play Siberian Khatru is at a funereal tempo, they'd be better off dropping it from the set. The same applies to Emerson: if he can't play the old ELP stuff at close to tempo, and has to take it down so much that it feels like it's dragging, then he'd be better off playing material that he can manage at, if not exact tempo, then close to. Of course. since so much ELP was predicated on fast playing (even in the ballads), not sure how easy that would be; but like Plant he (and whoever in Yes is causing the drag, Howe?) needs to adapt the change in his playing to the material in a way that still feels good. Playing a song at 2/3 speed rarely does.

Speaking of singers, the same applies to Peter Hammill, another singer whose range has been seriously compromised with age. He simply cannot sing "Lemmings" the way he used to, because he can't hit those high notes. But he can still sing it with a different kind of power, a different kind of raw energy that still absolutely works, so it's still no problem, imo, for him to be singing it. IN fact, I think he's never sounded better, as can be said for Leonard Cohen, whose voice has deepened so much that it just about causes the sub-woofers to rattle :)

jkelman
01-25-2013, 10:54 PM
They aren't completely unrelated. They both can ruin one's enjoyment of a show. Plus, both are a flaw with a band, one is just with the voice, while one is fault with a band.
But it's really a matter of adapting. Can the singer adapt to a natural lowering of the register? If yes, great; if not, stfu :)

I agree that they are absolutely related; but the relationship has to do with adaptation; how well the artist adapts to the limitations. Slowing tempos down, imo, is rarely a good thing. Singing and, rather than trying for notes you know you can't hit, delivering it in a different way that's still good is a much better thing.

JIF
01-25-2013, 11:02 PM
To the people that think I'm complaining and hate Celebration Day, that's not it at all. I was just making a first-viewing observation. I don't think that Plant's voice sounded good on Good Times, Bad Times. However, he sounded fine on the other songs. Ramble On stood out for me. I think that Jason did has father proud, and Page and Jonesy played great.

ZEPPELIN4EVER
01-26-2013, 03:01 AM
On this dvd we get to witness the last celebration? of a band that for a long time ruled the rock and roll landscape.

On this one and only night Led zeppelin with some help from bonzo Jr showed the world that they were not just another 70's oldies retread band...Boy did they rock on this one.

They proved to their fans and non fans that they still had the magic as they sounded better in 2007 on this one night than just about all of the groups who ruled in the 60's and 70's and are still touring ....

Vic2012
01-26-2013, 05:31 AM
Regarding ageing lead singers, Robert Plant and all: Robert had a hard time controlling his voice as the night wore on, but that's more than forgivable. The man still tours and records. He's still relevent, and he still showed the world that he is the golden god of hard/rock and heavy metal. He's the template for every Tarzan wailing, chest beating, harmonica playing frontman.

Now, carrying over from the lip sync thread, again I'm very impressed that Led Zeppelin played it mostly raw. Jimmy Page's solos have never been the most precise or clean solos (some are downright awful) but he makes up for whatever shortcomings he has in so many other ways. To me, he proves on this 02 Arena thing that he's one of the great pioneers of heavy metal, crunch guitar and big riffs. The balls this band had/has are huge. Contrast this to Rush. I'm only using Rush as an example, not trying to trash 'em. They do the exact opposite, every second of music they play is counted out to perfection, not to mention all the pre-recorded and canned sounds. And Geddy's voice has really aged in the last few years. I think he sounds awful live (today, not 10, 20 years ago). And they just have no balls.

Now, I know that Rush is a touring act so it's unfair to compare this Zeppelin show to a contemporary Rush concert, but I really think that this is why this 02 concert was so special. Zep and all the producers and suits around them could've come up with all sorts of ways to make the sound better and used all kinds of technology to make the band sound as flawless as possible. But they didn't do that, they played it without a safety net, and they kicked royal ass and took no prisoners. Just the facial expressions on Jimmy Page were priceless. All that was missing was his crushed velvet bell bottoms with embroidered dragons and shit.

Right now the really big highlights of the concert for me are Dazed and Confused, Kashmir, and In My Time Of Dying. So far, "Celebration Day" is the best musical purchase of this year.

Vic2012
02-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Last night I was watching the Plant/Page "Unledded" No Quarter DVD. I love this DVD. What do you guys think of it? I love the set list and the whole acoustic, grungey vibe. One thing I gotta say about Jimmy Page again. He doesn't get a lot of love as a soloist or virtuoso, but the man can play rhythm guitar like a beast (acoustic or electric). I think my favorite segment of the film is the performance of "The Truth Explodes." It's just sick! I wonder if there's a studio version of that somewhere, or maybe a bootleg I can download. Anyway, love the film, but I think "Celebration Day" blows it away.

Guitarplyrjvb
02-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Encouraging to hear that Page can still bring it! I saw him on some tribute show or other playing with Jeff Beck and he just stuck to basic rhythm chords while Jeff roared! What are you going to do, though, with Jeff Beck there? I had thought Page had walked quietly into the sunset!

Vic2012
02-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Yeah, Jimmy was left in the dust by most of his contemporaries (as far as his solos go). Jimmy was never very dexterous to begin with, but for many American kids he was our first, guitar hero. I had 3 main heroes back then and Jimmy topped the list (the other two were Terry Kath, Carlos Santana, in that order). I remember everyone trying to copy the guitar solo in the middle of Heartbreaker, from LZ II. I had the slow intro part down pretty good, but the rest was a trainwreck of notes and fingers stumbling all over each other. I love Jimmy Page. I don't care what anyone says.

Guitarplyrjvb
02-02-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm with you! I love him, too! His riffage and tone (!!) are unmatched.

ItalProgRules
02-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Last night I was watching the Plant/Page "Unledded" No Quarter DVD. I love this DVD. What do you guys think of it? I love the set list and the whole acoustic, grungey vibe. One thing I gotta say about Jimmy Page again. He doesn't get a lot of love as a soloist or virtuoso, but the man can play rhythm guitar like a beast (acoustic or electric). I think my favorite segment of the film is the performance of "The Truth Explodes." It's just sick! I wonder if there's a studio version of that somewhere, or maybe a bootleg I can download. Anyway, love the film, but I think "Celebration Day" blows it away.

I really enjoyed UNLEDDED, I thought it took real guts to tamper with such well-known songs, and I'm glad they did.

Adm.Kirk
02-09-2013, 02:04 AM
I got the 3 LP box set today. I don't know if Page did a mix specifically for vinyl or not, but there seems to be much more bottom on the vinyl than the CD and Jones' has much more, ummm, presence. You can really hear the amazing bass work he does on IMToD on the vinyl. I believe Mr. Page has a fondness for the big black circle. Man, does it show on Celebration Day. Highly recommended!

Bill

Vic2012
02-09-2013, 06:35 AM
I never really paid much attention to JPJ as a bass player. He's always been "The Quiet Beatle" of Led Zep, since the other 3 had a lot more stage presence. When I really started paying attention to bass players about 10-12 years ago I realized that his bass playing was the glue that held it all together rhythmically. I should've mentioned this on the other Zep thread (after Phys Graff) that I did own JPJ's solo album, The Thunderthief. It did nothing for me. I got rid of it. A huge disappointment.