PDA

View Full Version : The Prog for Parties thread

JKL2000
11-18-2012, 08:28 AM
We had people over last night for a casual but nice pot-luck dinner - my son's nursery school teacher and some of the other class parents - and I had to supply music for the evening. I don't have easy access to that much of my collection, but stumbled on the following selection which server well.

Robert Wyatt/Gilad Atzmon/Ros Stephen - The Ghost Within (accessible yet cracked jazz)

David Gilmour - first solo album (We were using a monophonic CD player (!) with good bass, so this album provided a nice background, with God's guitar sound occasionally rising over the conversation, but never too loud.)

Billie Holiday - some old Billie album, forget which one. Ok, not prog, but great.

Have you selected music lately to entertain or clear the room?

sonic
11-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Pot (luck) party = Gong
Clear the room = Cpt Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Background music = Camel
Dance = Funkadelic

PeterG
11-18-2012, 09:16 AM
A great thing I do now and I have mates who do it as well, is just set up a Spotify queue and let people add a song at a time to it as they wish.

JKL2000
11-18-2012, 09:24 AM
^ In this situation it wouldn't have worked since these were people I didn't really know much, and some of them might have played music I don't like. I didn't yet know if I could be friends with them based on their musical compatibility. :geezer

Actually, I still don't know, but at least I played music I enjoyed and no one ran screaming.

markwoll
11-18-2012, 10:57 AM
For generic room clearing "In Praise of Learning" or any authentic old school RIO
I find Steely Dan ( and SD solo projects ) to be suitable for parties were pop is appreciated.

mark

Amy
11-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Last night, I hosted a pajama party at my house, ladies only. We listened to a lot of Pat Metheny. It just seemed the right thing to do. :)

JKL2000
11-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Last night, I hosted a pajama party at my house, ladies only. We listened to a lot of Pat Metheny. It just seemed the right thing to do. :)

Probably because it sounds like "Pat My Fanny."

Oops, is this the Prog Ladies thread? :oops