PDA

View Full Version : Lindsey Buckinghm - Saugatuck Michigan

SteveSly
11-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Saw Lindsey Buckingham Saturday night in a very small 400 seat theater in of all places Saugatuck Michigan (a really small town). It was billed as an intimate evening with Lindsey Buckingham and was just Lindsey by himself with no band. There was no opening act. The majority of the show was acoustic, but he did pull out the electric guitar for a few songs using some taped backing tracks for percussion, bass and occasional background vox. It was very similar to what you might see on VH1-Storytellers or the old unplugged series on MTV. The show itself was fantastic. Buckingham is a true pro and IMO one of the most underrated guitarists of my generation. He has a style that is all his own, and totally carried the 90 minute set. He played a nice mix of solo material and Fleetwood Mac stuff, even pulling out a track from the “Buckingham / Nicks” album from way back in the day. His voice was still in good shape and he played like a mutha. He also told some good stories in between some of the songs. Apparently he and his crew are doing this tour by car which allows them to play some out of the way places in between the big cities. My only complaint was that the show could have been a big longer. With no opening act, the 90 minute set flew by and it was all over by 9:30PM. I was also a little disappointed that he did not do anything from my favorite album of his “From The Cradle” which he skipped over. It was also a little bit loud for the size venue. They were handing out earplugs as you walked into the theater, I shunned them, but he did have it cranked up pretty good, especially for the rockers. Anyway, it was a fantastic show and I would go see him again in a heartbeat. Really killer stuff!

Here is the Setlist:

Cast Away Dreams
Bleed To Lover Her
Not Too Late
Stephanie
Come
Shut Us Down
Go Insane
Never Going Back Again
Big Love
I’m So Afraid
Go Your Own Way

Encore:
Trouble
Seeds We Sow

Steve Sly

Gruno
11-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Lindsey is one of my all-time faves. I was fortunate to be able to shoot pics of his show a few years ago. He is doing this solo acoustic tour because his guitarist was ill this last year right when they started their tour. So Lindsey opted to continue and revamp the show to what it is now.

Lindsey just this week released an iTunes exclusive acoustic show from this tour:

New Solo Acoustic Live Album "One Man Show"...

Legendary guitarist, singer/songwriter, Grammy winner, producer and Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame member Lindsey Buckingham has released his first ever solo acoustic live album, Lindsey Buckingham: One Man Show. The album, recorded live and in one take from his Hoyt Sherman Place show in Des Moines, Iowa on September 1st, is a raw and unmixed performance that includes many of his hits. Get One Man Show now, exclusively on iTunes.

Buckingham says, “As an artist, you need to seek out what is essential and discard what is inessential, to always keep an eye on what lives at the center. That was the impetus for this performance. My center has always been voice and guitar, and as I've evolved, I've looked to broaden the range and vocabulary of that center. So when I decided to tour in 2012, it suddenly felt as though I'd been working towards something, that I'd arrived at a new place. I sensed it was time to do something I'd never done: A one man show. This performance is from a single night in Des Moines, Iowa, taken right off the console mix, with a couple of room mikes added in. It's live and raw, with no post-production. I love it! It captures not only the spirit of the performance, but also the spirit of where I now live as an artist.”

Lindsey Buckingham: One Man Show – Track Listing
1. Cast Away Dreams
2. Bleed To Love Her
3. Not Too Late

4. Stephanie
5. Come

6. Shut Us Down
7. Go Insane
8. Never Going Back Again
9. Big Love
10. So Afraid
11. Go Your Own Way

12. Trouble
13. Seeds We Sow

Buckingham is concluding his year long trek of sold out solo acoustic shows that have garnered rave reviews across the US. The intimate and stripped down setting on the road has truly displayed the immense talents of this legendary performer. Click Here for a full list of remaining dates and details.

FrippWire
11-18-2012, 10:00 PM
I would liked to have been there. I'm from Detroit and know of Saugatuck. A really unusual place for him to play. Good to see that part of the state get a heavy hitter like him. I've seen him before and he's fantastic live.

SteveSly
11-18-2012, 10:42 PM
I would liked to have been there. I'm from Detroit and know of Saugatuck. A really unusual place for him to play. Good to see that part of the state get a heavy hitter like him. I've seen him before and he's fantastic live.

Saugatuck is a cool little summer resort town on the shore of lake Michigan, but this time of year is pretty dead. The town has always had a strong arts community and hosts a film festival every summer which is growing and getting fairly well known in movie circles. It is about an hours drive from where I live in Kalamazoo.

Steve Sly