PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some new horror movies

Oreb
11-17-2012, 06:16 PM
I've worn out much of the ones I own and I'm eager for some "new blood".

Genuine scares required. Gore-fests with no suspense and unlikeable characters need not apply!

My faves of recent date:

"Insidious"
"Martyrs"
"Lovely Molly"
"Grave Encounters"

SteveSly
11-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Not a movie, but have you checked out the latest season (or the first season for that matter) of "American Horror Story"? on FX? Killer stuff IMO.

Steve Sly

Oreb
11-18-2012, 01:18 AM
Not yet - I enjoyed the first season a lot however!

(I like "Supernatural" too)

Lou
11-18-2012, 08:56 AM
If you like Martyrs, have you seen "Inside" ? Others worth looking into...

"Frontiers"
"Midnight Meat Train"
"Shuttle"
Jack Ketchum's "The Girl Next Door", and "The Lost"

Jymbot
11-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Martyrs.
Is this not the French film where they totally skin a woman?
A society of jaded who abuse victims to the point that they experience Christ-on-the-cross-type absolute agony which (they figure) is the only direct way to reach epiphany?

Sick, totally sick film.

Very hard to watch.

I was shocked that the local public library stocked this dvd.

Anyways, I should drop my profession of Prog Masterman for piccies reviewer cos I am a tolerably good reviewer - if I dont say so myself.

If you are up to it, judge for yourself: try my reviews (some horror & scifi) out at my forum: AUDIONUTTERS (aka COCKSWELL INN):

http://audionutters.forum-phpbb.co.uk/

nosebone
11-18-2012, 11:37 AM
The Pact

Similar in style to Lovely Molly, but better imo.

Its now on Netflix Instant.

Oreb
11-19-2012, 05:05 AM

"Frontiers"
"Midnight Meat Train"
"Shuttle"
Jack Ketchum's "The Girl Next Door", and "The Lost" Yes - I thought Inside was very good. I couldn't finish "The Girl Next Door" - it was too horrible even for me!

I'll check out "The Lost" and "The Pact".

I watched "Livide" on the weekend: a French vampire movie. Very strange, very good. I'll need to watch it again to be clear on what happens!

Edit - yes, Jymbot: that's Martyrs. IMO it was brilliant but it's a movie I would actually tell most people not to watch unless they are pretty seasoned horror buffs (and even then...)

Superfly
11-19-2012, 03:24 PM
Yeah, The Girl Next Door was tough sledding, and I had even read the book first so I knew what I was getting into. But well done and very true to the book.

Something a little lighter maybe, I really liked 'The Perfect Host' starring David Hyde Pierce...fairly black in the comedy department and nicely demented in the horror department. Great performance by Pierce in this Hitchcock-esque flick about a thief who decides to rob the wrong house. Well worth checking out.

proggosaurus
11-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Jack Ketchum's "The Girl Next Door", and "The Lost"

I've read a few of Ketchum's books and I loved em for the most part. I've seen the film version of Offspring but never read The Girl Next Door or seen the movie. he's certainly a grisly author but I love that kinda stuff. some of his books are rather hard to aquire w/o shelling out some dough. I definitely want to read The Girl Next Door first before seeing the flick or does it even matter.

Lou
11-23-2012, 07:08 PM
I've read a few of Ketchum's books and I loved em for the most part. I've seen the film version of Offspring but never read The Girl Next Door or seen the movie. he's certainly a grisly author but I love that kinda stuff. some of his books are rather hard to aquire w/o shelling out some dough. I definitely want to read The Girl Next Door first before seeing the flick or does it even matter.

I don't think it really matters if you see it before reading it. As Captain Geech said before, the movie is very faithful to the book. Probably because Ketchum was involved with the screenplay. By the way, if you like Ketchum's books, you need to check out Edward Lee, J F Gonzalez, and Richard Laymon. All great authors that are similar.

Klonk
11-24-2012, 01:44 PM
I just watched a flick called The Barrens recently. Basically about a family camping trip gone awry at the NJ Pine Barrens...yes the Jersey Devil/Blair Witch Pine Barrens ;) Pretty damn good I thought considering the lower budget! Starts off with a bang, drags a bit through the middle though theres a cool sense of dread that kept me glued and the payoff is everything I love about horror movies. :up If you're into psychological horror with a monster, you may want to give it a shot. The dude from True Blood (Steven Moyer) has the starring role and I thought he did a great job.

Martyrs was hard to watch, but I thought it was fantastic.

Oreb
11-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Anyone seen "Excision"? Any good?

80s were ok
11-24-2012, 06:58 PM
"Deep Red" from director Dario Argento. The prog connection is that it stars David Hemmings and has music by Goblin.

Klonk
11-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Nothing scary about Excision at all and for me WAY over-hyped as a shocking horror flick. I was disappointed in that respect, but its not a bad movie. Other than some pretty sick dream sequences, it's pretty tame. It in some ways reminded me of Ginger Snaps with the awkward, death obsessed teen stuff.

Oreb
11-24-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm looking forward to the movie of Joe Hill's "Horns". That's a terrific book.

Cheers for the "Excision" comments - think I'll pass on it.

-=RTFR666=-
11-24-2012, 11:22 PM
I'm looking forward to the movie of Joe Hill's "Horns". That's a terrific book.

Son of King or no, I sure hope they rework the story from the book. The "reason" for the horns turned out to be a major letdown...I'd much prefer they do a movie treatment of "Heart Shaped Box" ...

Oreb
11-25-2012, 12:16 AM
"Heart Shaped Box" ... Also a damn good book and I agree it would make a good movie. We obviously had a very different reaction to "Horns". For me it was a total success.

Jymbot
11-25-2012, 08:47 PM
By "new movies" you mean recent ones?...or ones from the past that usually are not brought to light in threads of this sort.

JIF
11-25-2012, 09:15 PM

"Frontiers"
"Midnight Meat Train"
"Shuttle"
Jack Ketchum's "The Girl Next Door", and "The Lost"Was Midnight Meat Train a Clive Barker movie with Bradley Cooper?

Lou
11-26-2012, 04:27 AM
Was Midnight Meat Train a Clive Barker movie with Bradley Cooper?

Yes, that's the one.

JIF
11-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Yes, that's the one.On a scale of 1 to 10, how is it? I've been wanting to see it.

nosebone
11-26-2012, 07:45 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10, how is it? I've been wanting to see it.

I give MMT a 5.

Lou
11-26-2012, 05:20 PM
I must have liked it better than Nosebone did. I would give it a 7.

ProgNaut
11-26-2012, 06:06 PM

The Loved Ones (2009 [R] 84 minutes) - Troubled high school senior Brent's (Xavier Samuel) plans to spend prom night with his caring girlfriend, Holly (Victoria Thaine), go awry when secret admirer Lola (Robin McLeavy) and her father kidnap him for their own macabre evening in this spine-chiller. Now Brent is in for the battle of his life as he tries to escape while fighting against syringes, nails, power drills and more accessories of his captor's twisted take on prom night.

Oreb
11-26-2012, 07:06 PM
By "new movies" you mean recent ones?...or ones from the past that usually are not brought to light in threads of this sort. Either/or, I guess.

Jymbot
11-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Old ones which are classic:

BBC TV "A Ghost Story For Christmas" series, especially "A Warning to the Curious" & "Whistle & I'll Come to You" ,but the whole series is superb

Circus of Horror

Night of the Eagle ('61)

(Curse) Night of the Demon ('57)

Darklands '96 (sorta Wickermanish)

Night after Night After Night

Black Sabbath

Devil Rides Out

Suspiria
Eye of the Devil "66

Ones I have not seen but would like to:
The Shout
Sinful Nuns of St Valentine
Hallows End
Messangers
Morgana
Shiver of Vampires
City of Dead ('59)
Goodbye Gemini ('70)
Living Dead at Manchester Morgue
The Surgeon
Witness for the Persecution '82
Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors ('64, 19th century Ukraine)
Kill Baby Kill
Lets Scare Jessica to Death

moecurlythanu
11-26-2012, 10:52 PM
The Shout is pure tedium.

Superfly
11-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Thought you horror fans would appreciate this; I've just been given the assignment of adapting, in sequential art form, Joe R. Lansdales short story 'The Fat Man' for the Cemetery Dance publication, Grave Tales. I guess at one time, The Fat Man was going to be part of the Masters Of Horror series, but the series was cancelled before it went into production. So now I get a shot at it...hell yeah! I've been wanting to work on one of Lansdales stories for a long time so this is some pretty exciting stuff for me!

Jymbot
11-29-2012, 07:24 PM
The Shout is pure tedium.

I suppose so - Ive seen a clip.
But its got Carol Drinkwater and Im fond of droopy breasts.

Oreb
11-30-2012, 01:11 AM
The Pact Cheers man, very good stuff!

Geech, congrats: nice gig.