PDA

View Full Version : First Few Comments

Just Eric
11-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Fist, great job! Love the new site!

Here are my first comments/questions -

1. The IM section of Registration seems dated. Maybe it's time to solicit Facebook, Twitter, Google+ information.
2. Groups Invite Members - The autofill is good, but I miss the drop down to scroll for members
3. What's the inactivity time out? It seems that evertime I browse to another page when I get back to the forum I'm timed out and have to log in again.
4. Is there chat?

Eric

Duncan Glenday
11-01-2012, 05:30 PM
1. The IM section of Registration seems dated. Maybe it's time to solicit Facebook, Twitter, Google+ information.

I'm not sure if I can disable that - will check.

There is an incredibly good Facebook link - but we will decide about addressing that later. No Googles/Twits yet, though.

2. Groups Invite Members - The autofill is good, but I miss the drop down to scroll for members

Can't help ya there. All I can say is that the vB community (which is huge) has been bugging the developers about this for some time. Not sure if they'll build this into the next release, though.

3. What's the inactivity time out? It seems that evertime I browse to another page when I get back to the forum I'm timed out and have to log in again.

Not sure - will find out.

4. Is there chat?

There will be. I'm still working on it.

NogbadTheBad
11-01-2012, 07:14 PM
So Dunc, how do you do those multiple quotes?

NogbadTheBad
11-01-2012, 07:16 PM

4. Is there chat?

EricI think I did it but had to copy and paste quote pieces.

NogbadTheBad
11-01-2012, 09:24 PM
So is there a way to quote just sections of a post by highlighting the way we can in old PE? Or do you have to quote the whole thing then edit?

NogbadTheBad
11-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Oh & the post count seems to be running.

Gruno
11-01-2012, 09:28 PM

I am curious to see what some would do with this feature. I don't mind the post count at all.

Gruno
11-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Seems the post count is now frozen?

As of this post:

Gruno 1

Just Eric 1

NogbadTheBad 4

Duncan Glenday 4

Gruno
11-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Well, I went to 2 :drool

It seems the board will only show your current post count. I have seen some where the post count is different for each post you make. For example, this post should be #3 rather than the total amount of posts thus far.

No biggie. Just testing the stuff out.

Gruno
11-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Hmmm

Gruno
11-01-2012, 09:43 PM
five?

Gruno
11-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Now it's working as I described. This should be #6.

I have twin 3's above!

Gruno
11-01-2012, 09:44 PM
It is helpful when searching back through your posts. I know there are time stamps, but sometimes it's nice to see that count.

Duncan Glenday
11-01-2012, 10:54 PM
I think I did it but had to copy and paste quote pieces.

See the icon at the bottom right hand corner of each post? Click that on each post you want to multi-quote. When you're done, click on the "Reply With Quote" of the last one...

Or do you have to quote the whole thing then edit?

This - as far as I know. Try the FAQ - I haven't read it :oops but it might help with this

Damn - I thought I'd turned it off. I think I missed this forum. Fixing it now...

Duncan Glenday
11-01-2012, 11:27 PM

Where did you see the IMs?

I just went through the registration, and didn't see it - and the instant messaging stuff has been turned off, as I thought.

Duncan Glenday
11-01-2012, 11:42 PM

Did you click "remember me" when logging in? If not, your timeout is 15 minutes. If you check it, you stay logged in for a year.

Duncan Glenday
11-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Where did you see the IMs?

I just went through the registration, and didn't see it - and the instant messaging stuff has been turned off, as I thought.

Okay - I found it. Have researched it - these can only be removed from the system if I modify the source code. I know how and where to do this, but won't do it because that makes it impossible to upgrade to new versions of the software.

So - there are a few extra fields in the user profile, that (probably) no one will use. :meh

Scott Bails
11-02-2012, 11:08 AM
This might be (probably is) a very minor quibble, but you have these links at the top of this thread:

Forum Progressive Ears Forums Progressive Ears SITE Matters PEv3 TESTING Issues First Few Comment

Is there any way to put these at the end of the thread, V V below the "quick reply" space? This would be more convenient when scrolling to the ends of threads, I'd think.

If not, not a big deal.

Scott Bails
11-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Looks like the old PM system is a thing of the past, unfortunately. You can still directly PM, and I suppose you can send a PM to multiple people (tried that, but don't know if it worked), but it seems that we're limited to 500 messages in our inbox, and I don't see how PM threads can be sustained.

Oh well. We do have the non-music off-topic forums, so that should solve most of the PM issues, anyway.

Duncan Glenday
11-02-2012, 11:47 AM
This might be (probably is) a very minor quibble, but you have these links at the top of this thread:

Forum Progressive Ears Forums Progressive Ears SITE Matters PEv3 TESTING Issues First Few Comment

Is there any way to put these at the end of the thread, V V below the "quick reply" space? This would be more convenient when scrolling to the ends of threads, I'd think.

If not, not a big deal.

Not possible.

Just Eric
11-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Did you click "remember me" when logging in? If not, your timeout is 15 minutes. If you check it, you stay logged in for a year.No on the Remember Me as I clear history and reset everytime I log out of Firefox. No worries on the 15 minutes, just knowing works.

I'll look back in Registration for the IM section and paste a screenshot.

rushfan
11-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Emoticons will show on a post but not on the activity stream. No big deal as far as I'm concerned, just something I noticed.

mozo-pg
11-03-2012, 03:37 AM

Sharp
11-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Hi all. The site looks great!

A couple of initial observations.

1) I may have missed it.but during registration I didn't see the actual TOS for the site.

2) Your second main forum is called Community There is also a community with separate functions (member list) on the top menu bar. This might confuse some people. You may want to think up a separate name for that second forum.

Hope this helps..

spellbound
11-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Been going through the FAQs. What is CMS?

NogbadTheBad
11-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Been going through the FAQs. What is CMS?Content Management System?

Scott Bails
11-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Not possible.

Don't know if you recently did this, or if it was there the whole time, but there's a "Quick Navigation" bar on the lower right of the page which accomplishes the same goal that I was looking for. :up

roddenberry
11-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Okay this may have been addressed in another thread... but dare I ask. I haven't seen anything in "my profile" that permits me to select a custom avatar... is there a place where I can insert it?

Robert

roddenberry
11-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Okay nevermind, I found the proper area to edit my profile and add my avatar...

spellbound
11-04-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm going to guess that you are working on getting our post counts above zero. If I missed that discussion elsewhere, I'm sorry. Lots of threads here. I'm bound to miss something.

I figured out how to post videos, and learned that there is a limit of one video per post. Not a problem. Probably a good idea, considering how on the old site (v2), a post with multiple videos could suck a computer's memory dry.

I learned that I have very few images on my computer that are small enough files to post here. Likewise online images. Is this just bad luck on my part, or is allowable image size going to be increased? I never thought of pictures I saved as being large files.

On the previous page, someone asked about the TOS. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, right side. There it is.

NogbadTheBad
11-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm going to guess that you are working on getting our post counts above zero. They've decided to keep the post count at zero as there is no ranking or point scoring for having more posts.

Gruno
11-04-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm going to guess that you are working on getting our post counts above zero. If I missed that discussion elsewhere, I'm sorry. Lots of threads here. I'm bound to miss something.

I think you already posted in the thread:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/54-First-Few-Comments

spellbound
11-04-2012, 12:30 PM
They've decided to keep the post count at zero as there is no ranking or point scoring for having more posts.

I didn't know there ever was ranking or point scoring. What good would it do? On the old site (v2) I think there was a maximum number of posts per month, or something. I never exceeded it, so I don't know what would happen if I did. Is there no maximum here? (Don't worry, I'm not going to suddenly become more talkative.)

I think you already posted in the thread:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/54-First-Few-Comments

That is a link to this thread. :huh Not criticizing. I don't yet know how to link to a thread. I will probably figure it out when the need arises.

spellbound
11-04-2012, 12:36 PM
I see now. There was a discussion of post counts in this thread. I didn't understand it because I have never seen a post count higher than zero for anyone while logged in here. I don't guess it matters. I don't count my posts. Why should the site?

NogbadTheBad
11-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Because you look at PA and they have counts, and stars, and titles associated with number of posts. The view was to go nowhere near any of that.

spellbound
11-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Because you look at PA and they have counts, and stars, and titles associated with number of posts. The view was to go nowhere near any of that.

Oh. This is the only forum I am on. I just use PA for its reviews. I don't feel compelled to comment or discuss anything there. Never viewed their forum. I'm not much of a joiner.

Duncan Glenday
11-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Been going through the FAQs. What is CMS?

CMS = Content Management System. It's a fancy word for the place where we will post articles, interviews, and reviews. Has not been turned on yet - will happen soon, though.

Okay nevermind, I found the proper area to edit my profile and add my avatar...

That avatar looks just like this Canadian guy I know! :lol

I didn't know there ever was ranking or point scoring. What good would it do? On the old site (v2) I think there was a maximum number of posts per month, or something. I never exceeded it, so I don't know what would happen if I did. Is there no maximum here? (Don't worry, I'm not going to suddenly become more talkative.)

This system has a ranking system built in. It's based on post counts. In PE's distant past, and on other forums, it's common for people to compete for the highest post count.

So we turned post counts off, and they will always show '0'.

Wilton Said...
11-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Great job guys.

Is there a bookmark function?

Wilton

NogbadTheBad
11-04-2012, 06:41 PM
It's called subscribe, look under thread tools.

Sharp
11-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Great job guys.

Is there a bookmark function?

Wilton

It's called subscribe, look under thread tools.

Another approach is to autosubscribe whenever you post in a thread

I posted this on the other site. Basically go to Settings in the very top menu bar look down along the left hand side and there should be a General Settings option, click that and there is a long page of stuff you can change there. About second or third option it allows you to set subscribe options including with and without email notification. NOW...this is something I always forget cause the page is so long... go all the way down to bottom of page and hit the save changes button otherwise nothing takes.

BTW.. the best way I have found to view your subscriptions (there are a number of ways) is to use the Quick Links option on the Forum menu bar.