PDA

View Full Version : Enchant, Are They Done?

UnderAGlassMoon
11-16-2012, 05:33 PM
First off, I know Enchant aren't exactly held high on the prog pedestal around these parts but for those of you who do like them are they finished?

I know Ted Leonard is now singing for Spock's Beard, but I thought I heard a while back that Enchant was working on something new. For a band that was so prolific in the late 90's early 00's they sure dropped off the radar fast. No new music in over ten years. I understand they have day jobs, but I would think Doug Ott would still be writing songs, unless he somehow lost interest.

Can anyone shed any light?

FKYES
11-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Enchant has posted as recently as two weeks ago on Facebook that they are definitely working on new material. They are going to begin recording in January. I have always liked them and will welcome their first new album in 9 years.

Reach
11-16-2012, 09:11 PM
I like them too. But yeah, the output has really dropped (the last album was Tug of War in 2003 I think?) It was a good run regardless. New material next year? Great.

Yanks2014
11-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Big fan here, and I bet there are more than a few Enchant fans on PE. I knew there had been talk of a new album over the past year. Great news if true that they are starting the recording in January. Would be a 10 year gap, that's a long time. I know Leonard has kept busy with Spock's Beard, Affector and some solo work. Not sure if the other guys have been up to much. Wait, the drummer did do an album with the guys in Zero Hour, the group Cynthesis.

progeezer
11-16-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm raising my hand as well. Would love to hear more Enchant!

UnephenStephen
11-16-2012, 10:35 PM
i hope if they do come back that they start challenging themselves again. to me, Wounded and Time Lost were their last 2 truly progressive albums. since then the songs have become shorter and more cookie-cutter.

mnprogger
11-16-2012, 11:46 PM
http://www.facebook.com/enchantband/posts/10151090515895740

Getting together with Sean and Ed this week to work on new material! We worked on z couple of new ideas last well that we're killer! Trying to start recording in January...

arabicadabra
11-17-2012, 05:02 AM
Like them a LOT - found the indifferent response they got at NEARfest in Trenton maddening. A new Enchant record will be welcomed by me.

NHmetalhead
11-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Like them a LOT - found the indifferent response they got at NEARfest in Trenton maddening.

I second this.

I also quite like this band, and have been anxiously awaiting new material for years.

Matt

Hunnibee
11-18-2012, 02:14 AM
I've only seen them perform once... in San Fran in 2008. It would be great to see them get back together.

Hmmmm... there are still three spots open for RoSFest. Wouldn't it be nice if Enchant could fill one of them?

(just daydreaming)

Yanks2014
11-19-2012, 02:08 PM
i hope if they do come back that they start challenging themselves again. to me, Wounded and Time Lost were their last 2 truly progressive albums. since then the songs have become shorter and more cookie-cutter.

Hmmm, I find Wounded to be their weakest effort. It sounded to me like a forced attempt to go prog-metal. Time Lost is really an odds and ends kind of album, but what a great set of odds and ends it is! I don't get the cookie-cutter comment. I find the tunes from "Break" on out to be examples of really strong song writing, a far more confident and mature band. True, less of a prog band, but I think it works for them.

Yanks2014
11-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Hmmmm... there are still three spots open for RoSFest. Wouldn't it be nice if Enchant could fill one of them?

Yup Mel, that would be very nice to see. Rosfest is already a strong lineup, but this would put it way over the top for me. And a fitting setting for them. They didn't go over that well back when they played Nearfest. The prog-snob crowd didn't seem to care for their more song based prog/rock approach. I liked them just fine, it was a good performance aside from the vocals being too low in the mix. And I felt bad for them as the shipment of their cd's was late, so they had nothing to sell. Hard to believe that was a decade ago.

Progatron
11-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Always really liked the songs "Under Fire" and "Monday", as well as their instrumentals with 'Prog' in the titles ("Progtology" and another one...?) but found a certain cheese factor not dissimilar to other 1990s 'prog metal'-ish bands - particularly a lot of those Magna Carta label acts - that was hard to ignore. Perhaps if I gave them more of a chance nowadays I'd be more forgiving. I have a couple of their CDs, I recall one of them had an opening track that more than borrowed from Rush's "Xanadu".

I'll spin an Enchant disc this week and see if anything stands out.

JIF
11-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Always really liked the songs "Under Fire" and "Monday", as well as their instrumentals with 'Prog' in the titles ("Progtology" and another one...?) but found a certain cheese factor not dissimilar to other 1990s 'prog metal'-ish bands - particularly a lot of those Magna Carta label acts - that was hard to ignore. Perhaps if I gave them more of a chance nowadays I'd be more forgiving. I have a couple of their CDs, I recall one of them had an opening track that more than borrowed from Rush's "Xanadu".

I'll spin an Enchant disc this week and see if anything stands out.Prognosis.

JIF
11-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Hmmm, I find Wounded to be their weakest effort. It sounded to me like a forced attempt to go prog-metal. Time Lost is really an odds and ends kind of album, but what a great set of odds and ends it is! I don't get the cookie-cutter comment. I find the tunes from "Break" on out to be examples of really strong song writing, a far more confident and mature band. True, less of a prog band, but I think it works for them.So, you like Break? if so, how would you rate it? Btw, Enchant news is easy to find out when you're facebook friends with Ed and Ted.

Arkangel3
11-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Big fan here, and I bet there are more than a few Enchant fans on PE...

Absolutely! I've been a huge fan since the first album on Magna Carta. I think "Juggling 9 Or Dropping Ten" is an amazing album.

JIF
11-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Absolutely! I've been a huge fan since the first album on Magna Carta. I think "Juggling 9 Or Dropping Ten" is an amazing album.Juggling 9 Or Dropping 10 was on Insideout. Magna Carta released Enchant's first two studio albums only.

Arkangel3
11-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Juggling 9 Or Dropping 10 was on Insideout. Magna Carta released Enchant's first two studio albums only.

I am well aware of that. Juggling 9 or Dropping 10 happens to be my favorite album by them, and I was stating that. I was also stating that I've been a fan since their first album. Thus, my statement bears truth to your ridiculous scrutiny.

Yanks2014
11-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Always really liked the songs "Under Fire" and "Monday", as well as their instrumentals with 'Prog' in the titles ("Progtology" and another one...?) but found a certain cheese factor not dissimilar to other 1990s 'prog metal'-ish bands - particularly a lot of those Magna Carta label acts - that was hard to ignore.

Hmmm, "cheesy" isn't a word I ever thought I'd hear about Enchant music. When I think "cheese", I think of things like Ayreon. I like Ayreon a lot, and I'll be the first to admit the high cheese factor. But Enchant? Not sure I follow.

JIF
11-19-2012, 08:40 PM
I am well aware of that. Juggling 9 or Dropping 10 happens to be my favorite album by them, and I was stating that. I was also stating that I've been a fan since their first album. Thus, my statement bears truth to your ridiculous scrutiny.You don't have to be a jerk. I was just confused by what you were saying. You could've just left out that Magna Carta bit and just said that you've been an Enchant fan from the get go.

Progatron
11-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Hmmm, "cheesy" isn't a word I ever thought I'd hear about Enchant music. When I think "cheese", I think of things like Ayreon. I like Ayreon a lot, and I'll be the first to admit the high cheese factor. But Enchant? Not sure I follow.

I suppose the vocal factor is a big part of it. But it's a fading memory, like I said I might not think that anymore if I listened again. I do recall cringing a bit though. Love Ayreon btw, and all Arjen projects for that matter.

You don't have to be a jerk. I was just confused by what you were saying. You could've just left out that Magna Carta bit and just said that you've been an Enchant fan from the get go.

He worded it quite clearly IMO. A more appropriate admonishment here would be to say that you don't need to endlessly play the role of know-it-all fact checker. That role is neither wanted nor needed. C'mon, man, enough with the JIFipedia all the time.

3LockBox
11-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Yep, Juggling 9 Dropping 10 is AWESOME!
I have it for trade.

I had Break; traded it

Love Tug Of War

Rand Kelly
11-20-2012, 01:29 AM
I love them and in fact,I still have the 2 demo cassettes I bought from Ken Welchoff's Progressive Records,most of which ended up on A Blueprint Of The World.

jgprogbear
11-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Big fan of the band, LOVED their Nearfest appearance. Great guys to talk to also. Sure hope some new material sees the light of day soon.

Yanks2014
11-20-2012, 02:03 PM
I suppose the vocal factor is a big part of it. But it's a fading memory, like I said I might not think that anymore if I listened again. I do recall cringing a bit though.

Ted Leonard's vocals? Really? I find him to be one of the finest vocalists around, I never would have thought him a cheesey singer. The guy could sing the alphabet and sound great. There is a cool Youtube clip of him singing the national anthem at a SF Giants game, and of course he totally nails it.

arise_shine
11-20-2012, 02:53 PM
I really liked their first album a few years ago, then I listened to it again recently, and I found myself having a hard time getting past the really cheesy lyrics. The singer is fine--just the lyrics are really cheesy.

I listened to "Wounded" and "Juggling" once or twice, and I seem the remember the lyrics being only incrementally better (if that), and the music being orders of magnitude more bland.

Progatron
11-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Ted Leonard's vocals? Really? I find him to be one of the finest vocalists around, I never would have thought him a cheesey singer. The guy could sing the alphabet and sound great. There is a cool Youtube clip of him singing the national anthem at a SF Giants game, and of course he totally nails it.

Big difference between vocal ability and vocal style. I think sometimes the choices he made on those records is where I get cheesy from. Like I said, I always really liked "Under Fire", for example, but then at the end of it he goes too far with the "I think about his wife and his kids...." part. He's got the pipes, no doubt. Isn't he supposed to be doing the next Spocks Beard album? Let's see what he does with that! :)

Arkangel3
11-20-2012, 05:47 PM
You can hear Ted with The Beard on a live EP from High Voltage. It's on iTunes. Good stuff.

Yanks2014
11-21-2012, 01:44 PM
I really liked their first album a few years ago, then I listened to it again recently, and I found myself having a hard time getting past the really cheesy lyrics. The singer is fine--just the lyrics are really cheesy.

I listened to "Wounded" and "Juggling" once or twice, and I seem the remember the lyrics being only incrementally better (if that), and the music being orders of magnitude more bland.

Wow, I don't get this at all. I'm not a lyric guy, but I've always taken notice of Enchant lyrics, which I've always found to be very strong. "What to Say" comes to mind, that song nearly makes me cry every time I hear it. I also quite like the song "Monday" specifically for it's lyrics, both catchy and something I can relate to. I find their lyrics to generally be quite intelligent, but never overbearing. The words compliment the songs quite well.

UnderAGlassMoon
12-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Wow, I don't get this at all. I'm not a lyric guy, but I've always taken notice of Enchant lyrics, which I've always found to be very strong. "What to Say" comes to mind, that song nearly makes me cry every time I hear it. I also quite like the song "Monday" specifically for it's lyrics, both catchy and something I can relate to. I find their lyrics to generally be quite intelligent, but never overbearing. The words compliment the songs quite well.

I agree and will add that most of their lyrics are rather depressing, but very well written.

ThomasKDye
12-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Okay... I couldn't get into Blueprint of the World or Wounded so I just sort of lost interest in them... but Tug of War, once you make allowances for sort of a sludgy songwriting style and Ted Leonard always seeming to sound like he's singing from the other side of a mattress, is actually pretty good. Maybe they just gradually got better and sharper.

Rangershockey7
12-06-2012, 05:22 PM
I love Enchant. Always have.

I would love to have another release from them. Over their last few albums, there are so many fantastic melodies and solo's. Fantastic.

I would say "Paint the Picture" off Juggling 9 is my favorite song of theirs, but it is also the album I like the least. When I put that CD in, I listen to that one song over and over before I move on to the rest and always am disappointed in the rest of the CD.

I was at Nearfest when they performed with my son (14 at the time) and his best friend. I was very pissed that 1/2 the crowd left the arena to have their picture taken on the steps with Nektar. I was disappointed in the sound of Enchant. I am trying to remember what it was but there was some sort of feedback that hurt their sound. I still enjoyed the show.

Lastly, after the show, my son and his friend went to get their autographs and they were so wonderfully nice to 2 young men who for the first time in their lives met "rock stars". Each guy in the band took a couple of minutes to talk to the two boys and it left such a positive impression on them. If for that reason alone I will always be an Enchant fan.

JIF
12-06-2012, 09:18 PM
I love Enchant. Always have.

I would love to have another release from them. Over their last few albums, there are so many fantastic melodies and solo's. Fantastic.

I would say "Paint the Picture" off Juggling 9 is my favorite song of theirs, but it is also the album I like the least. When I put that CD in, I listen to that one song over and over before I move on to the rest and always am disappointed in the rest of the CD.

I was at Nearfest when they performed with my son (14 at the time) and his best friend. I was very pissed that 1/2 the crowd left the arena to have their picture taken on the steps with Nektar. I was disappointed in the sound of Enchant. I am trying to remember what it was but there was some sort of feedback that hurt their sound. I still enjoyed the show.

Lastly, after the show, my son and his friend went to get their autographs and they were so wonderfully nice to 2 young men who for the first time in their lives met "rock stars". Each guy in the band took a couple of minutes to talk to the two boys and it left such a positive impression on them. If for that reason alone I will always be an Enchant fan.Was Bill Jenkins in the band at the time? If so, did you ask him about his day job at Korg?

ThomasKDye
12-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Okay... I think I've converted some. I really did not think much of Enchant because Blueprint was unimpressive and Wounded was flat-out boring (every time I try to give that album another chance, I have to turn it off half-way through)... but Blink of an Eye and Tug of War are much better. They're stronger dynamically and have more engaging vocal melodies. Enchant still won't make it to my top ten of modern prog bands, but I'm enjoying both albums quite a bit right now. "Monday," as people mentioned before, is a killer of a song, and the two instrumentals (one on each album) are fantastic. The title track of Tug of War is my current favorite, though... I've played it three times today.

So, good job, Spock's Beard, in recruiting Ted Leonard... it made me rediscover something I'd written off.

TheH
12-08-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm a big fan of Blueprint and Time Lost., I also dig the live one very much. Most of the other albums had some very good tracks, but couldn't really
hold up.

I'm very surprised that Juggling get so much love here, cause it is by far their worst and doesn't feature any of the bands trademarks and usual strongpoints.
As I first heard it I wasn't sure if it's Enchant at all.

Wounded Land
12-08-2012, 09:33 AM
I have every Enchant album they ever released, including their live DVD, but I see from my records that I haven't listened to any of them since 2009. Maybe it's time to pull one out and give it a spin. If memory serves, I think I liked Tug of War best.

They always seemed like nice guys, but I remember from watching the DVD that there seemed to be some tension between Ott and Leonard. Does anybody know if that's the reason for the delay in material?

I feel like I've had some online interaction with the bass player (maybe here?), who was very cool.

mnprogger
12-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Bill Jenkins 1st record with Enchant was Tug of War.

Firth
12-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Big difference between vocal ability and vocal style. I think sometimes the choices he made on those records is where I get cheesy from. Like I said, I always really liked "Under Fire", for example, but then at the end of it he goes too far with the "I think about his wife and his kids...." part. He's got the pipes, no doubt. Isn't he supposed to be doing the next Spocks Beard album? Let's see what he does with that! :)

I think he kicks here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rcnpG6Yx1E&feature=player_embedded#!

JIF
12-08-2012, 10:45 PM
I have every Enchant album they ever released, including their live DVD, but I see from my records that I haven't listened to any of them since 2009. Maybe it's time to pull one out and give it a spin. If memory serves, I think I liked Tug of War best.

They always seemed like nice guys, but I remember from watching the DVD that there seemed to be some tension between Ott and Leonard. Does anybody know if that's the reason for the delay in material?

I feel like I've had some online interaction with the bass player (maybe here?), who was very cool.Ed Platt, the bassist, and I are facebook friends. So are Ted and I.

Yanks2014
12-11-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm very surprised that Juggling get so much love here, cause it is by far their worst and doesn't feature any of the bands trademarks and usual strongpoints.
As I first heard it I wasn't sure if it's Enchant at all.

Really? I'm having trouble thinking what the weak tracks are. From "Paint the Picture" to "What to Say" to "Colors Fade" and "Juggling Knives", it's all essential Enchant. It's also the last album with Paul Craddick. I really miss his drumming with them, his busy style contrasts nicely with the more streamlined sound of the band. Nothing wrong with his replacement on drums, but Craddick really stood out.

UnephenStephen
12-11-2012, 03:06 PM
i'm amazed at how many people here hate Wounded. this was the first Enchant album i ever heard and i loved it. it was Blueprint that i found boring. but Wounded to me is quintessential prog. don't get the hate.

Yanks2014
12-11-2012, 09:54 PM
i'm amazed at how many people here hate Wounded. this was the first Enchant album i ever heard and i loved it. it was Blueprint that i found boring. but Wounded to me is quintessential prog. don't get the hate.

Did anyone really say they hate it? I find it to be one of their lesser albums, but certainly don't hate it. I find the songs kind of meandering, searching for memorable melodies, but its still good music, still sounds like Enchant to my ears. It seems that some people like to use extremes. If they don't love something, they hate it. There is plenty of music out there by artists I'm into that I consider flawed, but still quite enjoy.

ThomasKDye
12-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Did anyone really say they hate it?

Well, I really, really don't enjoy it, and it's one of those albums I think I should like because it has a few moments of interest, so I keep re-listening to it to see if it catches, and it never does. From the first song's bland chorus of "Cold, so cold" the melodies and song structures are just aggressively uninvolving and blah. Blueprint is just as blah... no real interesting melodies to speak of, and all the arpeggios and polyrhythms aren't any good if the core musical idea is inconsequential.

This is why, when I'm sitting here with "Tug of War," "Monday" and "Progtology" running through my head at alternate times, I wonder why we didn't have the Inside Out version of Enchant when they were on Magna Carta. (I did hear from somewhere that Inside Out prefers bands to take a metallic tack to their music, but that may be B.S. and it's not the real reason the latter albums are better to my ears.) It just feels like the band suddenly learned how to arrange their material to best advantage. Maybe it's less "proggy" than their earlier material, but frankly I'd rather have the stronger musical ideas than forced "proggy arrangements."

meimjustalawnmower
12-11-2012, 11:39 PM
This thread has lasted longer than Enchant.

ThomasKDye
12-11-2012, 11:47 PM
This thread has lasted longer than Enchant.

Ha ha! I get it! See, because they're not big like Yes or Rush, they're not worthy of discussion. That's why that's funny.

Anyway, for the non-snobs, because I discovered their last two albums, I've gone from indifferent (when this thread started) to actually looking forward to their next album. This band actually got its second chance to make a first impression.

meimjustalawnmower
12-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Ha ha! I get it! See, because they're not big like Yes or Rush, they're not worthy of discussion. That's why that's funny.
Glad you're amused, but I wasn't trying to get a laugh. A friend of mine suggested Enchant, and I tried my hardest to get into them, but to no avail. They had all of the trademark prog nonsense without the qualifying edge that would/should set them apart. Like store-brand soda pop. It's kinda the same, but it's not really. You end up wishing that you had spent that extra 75 cents.

DarthVander
12-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Me big fan of Enchant as well, and it was Juggling that got me into them - still my favourite album. Not too keen on the early stuff, I agree it's more generic prog rock/metal with poor production. The music got better when they started focusing more on crafting better songs and melodies. Have always really rated Ted Leonard as a vocalist, very soulful and expressive. Thought Break and Blink of an Eye were good though a bit uneven, Tug of War was another strong album. Shame they never got bigger, but really looking forward to some new material.

UnderAGlassMoon
07-14-2013, 02:35 AM
There is a cool Youtube clip of him singing the national anthem at a SF Giants game, and of course he totally nails it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my_xQ67q_mY

Reach
07-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Any word on a new album then?

Yanks2014
07-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Any word on a new album then?

No idea. Patiently waiting for something at this point.

ravensnhokies
07-15-2013, 01:49 AM
Cool, some Enchant stuff on PE. Enchant is my favorite band, period. Almost every Enchant song has a certain hook or catch to it and that trait has almost become a requirement with my musical tastes nowadays. Good catchy melodies..... Check .... Great singer... Check ... Guitarist with a great tone and solos that you feel instead of a fretboard egotrip... Check... Somewhat adventuresome songs but still grounded with pop sensibilities... Check. Maybe I'm just not a true 'prog' fan anymore in my midlife. Considering I'd rather listen to good yacht rock over most of old Yes... ahh..... perhaps I'm a bit atypical here. I am a bit biased when it comes to Enchant, b/c they are pretty much the most down to earth dudes you'd ever meet.

I've read this thread for the first time.... Don't think there was any great tension between Ted and Doug. Maybe Ted wanted a few more of his tunes on the last two discs, but there wasn't anything of a rift. They've just had a lot stuff going on in their personal lives, so Enchant has taken a backseat (unfortunately).

Don't understand the cheesy lyrics comment. If you truly read their lyrics, they are very relatable to most commonfolk. Come on in the 'prog' canon it doesn't fall into the fairytale, nerdy camp that a lot of prog bands spew. Sure a line here and there is a bit cringy, but its definitely not Def Leppard Whiz.

Yup just like a few of you... Can't wait until the next one. Hopefully it'll come sooner than later.

Yanks2014
07-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Don't understand the cheesy lyrics comment.

I'm totally not a lyric guy, yet Enchant are one of the few bands I really pay attention to the words. I've said it before on PE, when I listen to "What To Say", I'm nearly in tears by the end every time. Can't spin that one too often becuase of it.

UnderAGlassMoon
07-15-2013, 03:36 PM
I've said it before on PE, when I listen to "What To Say", I'm nearly in tears by the end every time. Can't spin that one too often becuase of it.

Could not agree more. A song they didn't do too often live because the subject matter is very emotional. Was surprised to see it on the live DVD.

As far as cheesy lyrics go, Enchant is far from the worst offenders. I think they can be hit or miss though. I think some of the lyrics on Blueprint are a little dicey, The Thirst for example. But from the same album, At Death's Door is pretty damn good lyrically. I have never thought of their lyrics as cheesy, for me they have always been a little on the depressing side.

KELLY WELSH
07-15-2013, 03:40 PM
I'm totally not a lyric guy, yet Enchant are one of the few bands I really pay attention to the words. I've said it before on PE, when I listen to "What To Say", I'm nearly in tears by the end every time. Can't spin that one too often becuase of it.
"What To Say" has to be the quintessential Enchant song.Beautiful lyrics, Wonderful composing,and sensationally sung by Ted Leonard.For me it's tears of joy when I hear the song. Let's hope they record something new soon.Missed `em!

Rangershockey7
07-15-2013, 08:45 PM
I am also an Enchant junkie.

Also, when I brought my son and his friend to Nearfest, the members of Enchant could not have been better to them when they went to get their autographs. Just based on the way they treated the two boys (15 at the time) earned my permanent fandom.