PDA

View Full Version : Black Sabbath - Live Evil...

progman1975
11-16-2012, 08:35 AM
How is it and which one should I buy...Warner or the Deluxe.....

Trane
11-16-2012, 09:13 AM
Don't know.... but i was never impressed with the sound of any live Sabbath albums, no matter what period...

Kim Olesen
11-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Don't know about which editions to get but it's a great album.

Rael
11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Don't know.... but i was never impressed with the sound of any live Sabbath albums, no matter what period...

Try to find the Asbury Park, NJ show from 1975. Amazing sound, killer performance. One of the most essential bootlegs ever.

PeterG
11-16-2012, 12:41 PM
I agree with Trane, love Sabbath's studio albums & I've seen the original line up live, great stuff. But their live albums suck!
Live at Last is terrible.

ronmac
11-16-2012, 02:01 PM
Try to find the Asbury Park, NJ show from 1975. Amazing sound, killer performance. One of the most essential bootlegs ever.

Totally agree. I believe it's on Sugarmegs in a low bit rate. But it's a good way to check it out.

Honestly, I think the Reunion live release is phenomenal. If anything's a must, it's that.

I can't say I've ever heard Live Evil, although I did see them on the 1980 H&H tour, which was great. However, I must admit that I never cared for Dio's renditions of the Ozzy era stuff. Especially "War Pigs."

davis
11-16-2012, 02:14 PM
the show you're raving about currently has 4 seeders. follow this link
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46493&highlight=black+sabbath

davis
11-16-2012, 02:18 PM
...I must admit that I never cared for Dio's renditions of the Ozzy era stuff. Especially "War Pigs."

I didn't think I would either, but when I finally heard it, it wasn't so bad. I got to accept it.

Jay G
11-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Love this album. Definitive versions of H & H and Sign of the Southern Cross than span over an entire album side. I also think the Dio renditions of the Ozzy songs just smoke. Then again I also love Live at Last. Wonderful live version of my favorite Sabbath song ever, Wicked World.

Trane
11-17-2012, 04:22 PM
I agree with Trane, love Sabbath's studio albums & I've seen the original line up live, great stuff. But their live albums suck!
Live at Last is terrible.

and this one is terrible as well

Actually I had atremendous curiosity to check Dio singing the Ozzy stuff... Thirst quenched, but I can't say they're very memorable at ll

Jerjo
11-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Now here's a thread that will show whether or not Jeff Carney has signed up for the new board. :D

Oh, and double now on the Asbury Park show.

Big Ears
11-17-2012, 06:45 PM
Although issued under a variety of titles (Heaven and Earth, Sabotaged, Accidental Overdose, Let Slip the Pigs of War and Dying to Live), the Convention Hall, Asbury Park show from 5th August 1975 is (I think) a King Biscuit Flower Hour soundboard from the Sabotage tour. There may have been an intention to give it an official release, but for some reason it was shelved.

It makes me laugh when Ozzy introduces Sympton of the Universe to an audience who don't yet know the material. The sound quaity is pretty good and the performances from Sabotage will strip the paint from your walls.

spacefreak
11-18-2012, 06:25 AM
I'm a huge Sabbath admirer, but all their official live albums are beyond terrible!

Kim Olesen
11-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Can not agree with that. I find both Live Evil and Reunion to be excelent albums. Bear in mind this is a trio (instrumentally) and is boundnto sound a bit unnuanced.

xipetotec6
11-19-2012, 12:43 AM
No one like the Hammersmith live release?

xipetotec6
11-19-2012, 12:45 AM
No one likes the Hammersmith live release?

PeterG
11-19-2012, 04:27 AM
and this one is terrible as well

Actually I had atremendous curiosity to check Dio singing the Ozzy stuff... Thirst quenched, but I can't say they're very memorable at ll

Agree totally. If anything, I think Live Evil is even worse than Live at Last.

PeterG
11-19-2012, 04:27 AM
I'm a huge Sabbath admirer, but all their official live albums are beyond terrible!

Absolutely!

spacefreak
11-19-2012, 05:42 AM
Agree totally. If anything, I think Live Evil is even worse than Live at Last.

100%

JIF
11-19-2012, 05:47 PM
What do people think about Past Lives? Also, to the people that say Dio sucks singing Ozzy's stuff, has anyone ever heard of The Elves version of War Pigs? Look it up on YouTube.

ronmac
11-19-2012, 06:25 PM
What do people think about Past Lives? Also, to the people that say Dio sucks singing Ozzy's stuff, has anyone ever heard of The Elves version of War Pigs? Look it up on YouTube.

I believe that's just Live at Last and the Hammersmith show in one package. Live at Last is okay and Hammersmith is better than okay.

Jerjo
11-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Past lives is intolerable - a very bad recording. Live at Hammersmith is fine but I don't like Ronnie's schmaltz on H&H.

JIF, if you do torrents, seek out the Asbury show. It is truly righteous, one of the best boots of all time. And if you're a noob to the torrent/ROIO just start a thread asking for advice. You'll get a ton of help and then you'll find so many great live shows you'll end up buying an extra hard drive.

JIF
11-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Past lives is intolerable - a very bad recording. Live at Hammersmith is fine but I don't like Ronnie's schmaltz on H&H.

JIF, if you do torrents, seek out the Asbury show. It is truly righteous, one of the best boots of all time. And if you're a noob to the torrent/ROIO just start a thread asking for advice. You'll get a ton of help and then you'll find so many great live shows you'll end up buying an extra hard drive.I actually had Past Lives at one point, but sold it cause I didn't listen to it much. I only have Live Evil because I got the Rules Of Hell box set. No, I don't do torrents.

ronmac
11-19-2012, 11:18 PM
seek out the Asbury show. It is truly righteous, one of the best boots of all time.

Ozzy has a couple of rough spots, but otherwise a real trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpBBUMjo8Ng

Supersonic Scientist
11-20-2012, 11:41 AM

Agree 100% as I was at that show.

spacefreak
11-20-2012, 02:32 PM
Agree 100% as I was at that show.

Lucky you :drool

Kim Olesen
11-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Can't believe all the flak Live Evil gets here....chocked....

yogibear
12-09-2012, 07:59 PM
OP asked aboaut dio era live sabbath and you guys all ignore him and recommend ozzy stuff. lol

yogibear
12-09-2012, 08:07 PM
well warners or deluxe? rate your music has them about even; the remastered ones tend to score a little higher but they don't talk much about the sound quality or whats changed.

Dave (in MA)
12-10-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't mind Dio's interpretation of the OO era tunes, but for a 'gloom and doom' band like Sabbath, having stupid call & response audience singalongs like H & H is just wrong. It's not the Bay City Rollers or Journey.

sotdude
12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't mind Dio's interpretation of the OO era tunes, but for a 'gloom and doom' band like Sabbath, having stupid call & response audience singalongs like H & H is just wrong. It's not the Bay City Rollers or Journey.

Yeah, but audiences always ate it up, so it can't be all that bad.

ronmac
12-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Yeah, but audiences always ate it up, so it can't be all that bad.

Perhaps, but offer them another song as an alternative and I'm sure they'd be happy to refrain from eating.

sotdude
12-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Perhaps, but offer them another song as an alternative and I'm sure they'd be happy to refrain from eating.

Totally don't agree. Heaven & Hell was a must play song at any Dio-era Sabbath concert, just like War Pigs, Iron Man, or Paranoid would be at any Sabbath show with Ozzy. Regardless of whether you like the 'on and on, on and on it's heaven & hell' or the 'ohhh, ohhhh ohhhh ohhhhhhhh" chants with the crowd, if they omitted this song most fans would not be too happy about it. It's easily in the top 3 most popular songs from the Dio version of the band.

That being said, I do see your point to a degree, but as someone who saw Sabbath with Dio many times, this little 'sing along' only took up maybe 2 minutes of a 90+ minute show, so there was plenty of crushing epic metal to be had.

mitchgx
12-11-2012, 10:35 AM
I normally detest singalongs at shows....I find them juvenile. But Heaven and Hell is an exception for me....it just always seemed like the right thing to do, especially since it meant interacting with Ronnie. In fact, that's certainly the reason I thought it was ok.

The version of H&H on Live Evil is astoundingly great, IMO.

Trane
12-11-2012, 11:45 AM
I normally detest singalongs at shows....I find them juvenile. But Heaven and Hell is an exception for me....it just always seemed like the right thing to do, especially since it meant interacting with Ronnie. In fact, that's certainly the reason I thought it was ok.

The version of H&H on Live Evil is astoundingly great, IMO.

It kind of depends really... I generally don't like the customer-friendly "audience participation" bit But....

Rush's CloserTo The Heart was a real surprise (to me anyway, but maybe to the band as well at first)

although not a surprise, I once heard on radio Skynyrd do an instrumental version of Freebird, where the audience sang the whole lyrics instead of the singer... despite the plan (the singer announced it and obviously the mikes had been set above the crowd) that kind of ruined its spontaneity, it was still a highly emotional thing (drew tears of joy from my eyes), especially that the audience actually had it down pat...

sotdude
12-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Back to Live Evil, I've always had a soft spot for this album, though it seems to be taking a beating among most here. Always thought Ronnie did a fine job on those old Sabbath classics, and the H&H and Mob Rules tunes sound great.

SteveSly
12-11-2012, 06:03 PM
If you guys have not heard it you might want to check out the bonus disc that came with the re-mastered “Mob Rules” that came out last year. It is a live album from the same tour as “Live Evil”. Although it covers similar ground I think it is a much better performance with a few different tracks.

Steve Sly

ronmac
12-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Totally don't agree. Heaven & Hell was a must play song at any Dio-era Sabbath concert, just like War Pigs, Iron Man, or Paranoid would be at any Sabbath show with Ozzy. Regardless of whether you like the 'on and on, on and on it's heaven & hell' or the 'ohhh, ohhhh ohhhh ohhhhhhhh" chants with the crowd, if they omitted this song most fans would not be too happy about it. It's easily in the top 3 most popular songs from the Dio version of the band.

You misunderstood my statement. I didn't state a different song, I mean another one (an additional one), instead of the childish call-and-response.

sotdude
12-12-2012, 10:35 AM
You misunderstood my statement. I didn't state a different song, I mean another one (an additional one), instead of the childish call-and-response.

Got ya!

Frumious B
12-12-2012, 11:32 AM
No one likes the Hammersmith live release?

Hammersmith is blistering and I think that set is available again as the second disc on one of the deluxe editions for those who missed out on the Rhino/Handmade release.

Frumious B
12-12-2012, 12:37 PM
If you guys have not heard it you might want to check out the bonus disc that came with the re-mastered “Mob Rules” that came out last year. It is a live album from the same tour as “Live Evil”. Although it covers similar ground I think it is a much better performance with a few different tracks.

Steve Sly

That would be the Hammersmith set I assume.

SteveSly
12-13-2012, 12:15 AM
That would be the Hammersmith set I assume.

Yes, it is.

Steve Sly

xipetotec6
12-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Has anyone seen the footage filmed for the aborted Live eviL concert film?