PDA

View Full Version : LinkedIn

CarvinAbuser
08-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Anyone here at PE on LinkedIn? I started a new LinkedIn group to bring independent music fans and artists together. If you're in favor of this idea, please join and spread the word. It would be great to get the prog community involved in this. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Indie Fans & Artists Collective (http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Indie-Fans-Artists-Collective-5128635/about)

Supersonic Scientist
08-19-2013, 09:20 AM
I have a Linkedin profile and I joined your group.

Jerjo
08-19-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm in LinkedIn thought my hatred for it knows no bounds. I joined because it might be the only worthwhile thing I've done on LinkedIn.

CarvinAbuser
08-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Thanks for joining.

Jerjo, why do you hate LinkedIn?

Jerjo
08-20-2013, 01:09 PM
I hate them because they constantly spam you with emails, it's not nearly as useful for networking as they claim, and all everyone posts on there is self-serving bullshit that most employers don't even look at. It's become Facebook for corporate America without any fun. This project of yours sounds fun because it is actually giving a voice to artists, rather than any VP or director I ever worked with and wouldn't trust as far as I can throw them. [end of rant]

CarvinAbuser
08-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the response. I'm fairly new to LinkedIn and I've found it useful so far. I suppose all social networking sites are flawed in some way, that's one reason why I started this group.

Supersonic Scientist
08-22-2013, 07:52 AM
I hate them because they constantly spam you with emails, it's not nearly as useful for networking as they claim, and all everyone posts on there is self-serving bullshit that most employers don't even look at. It's become Facebook for corporate America without any fun. This project of yours sounds fun because it is actually giving a voice to artists, rather than any VP or director I ever worked with and wouldn't trust as far as I can throw them. [end of rant]

That's odd...I've been on Linkedin for YEARS now and I do not get spammed by them at all, and i've joined several sub-groups within Linkedin and you'd think that that would be an open door for spam.

benson
09-02-2013, 11:00 PM
That's odd...I've been on Linkedin for YEARS now and I do not get spammed by them at all, and i've joined several sub-groups within Linkedin and you'd think that that would be an open door for spam.

Same here, no spam, except from the occasional recruiter which usually isn't that spamy to start. LinkedIn is VERY useful in business and maintaining business contacts. I don't really see people "posting self serving bullshit" at all - I mean if someone updates their skills or updates their job position, that's really what it's for.

I recently was out of work and the one thing the career coaches will tell you...you must have a linkedin profile. Otherwise it's almost as if you "don't exist". Some companies go directly to Linkedin looking for new hires, not just job recruiters. It's hardly anything like Facebook. As far as joining music groups, I had joined a few but ultimately dropped out - for two reasons - 1) hardly anyone posts anything to the groups anyway and 2) people viewing your profie won't give a crap that you are part of the "Genesis - The Progressive Era" group (yes, that is a real group on LinkedIn). Stick to joining groups related to your profession and skills.

iguana
10-08-2013, 04:35 PM
i'm on there, but i haven't really made any use of it yet, whatsoever. there will be other times.