PDA

View Full Version : Updating your analogue to analogue collection

PeterG
11-16-2012, 04:24 AM
Two days ago I FINALLY found a secondhand vinyl copy of Deep Purple's Perfect Strangers LP after looking for it for a few years. I bought it on cassette when it came out in 84 and that cassette gave up the ghost a while ago.

For years now I've been updating both my knackered old vinyl and old cassettes to newer vinyl and newer cassettes.

As you've probably guessed CDs aint my thang! I listen to vinyl, cassettes, Spotify and radio. And I was speaking to a mate at work yesterday, who also listens to just vinyl, Spotify and ipod (he's too young to have had a cassette habit, like me), but he went even further and sold all his CDs about a year ago (after transferring to PC and ipod) then bought a good quality secondhand turntable & is now another among the happy ranks of the vinyl vampires.

Anyway, part of the joy of updating analogue to new analgoue is that it is still cheap to do. I got that DP LP for about £3. About two weeks ago in a charity shop I found a sealed copy of Kate Bush's The Hounds of Love on casstte for....wait for it.....15p...that's fifteen pence of the British pound, what's that's, a USD quarter?

Jymbot
11-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Im likely one of only a handful here who seeks out vinyl once a week.

But, truth be told, vinyl sucks compared to cd. I dont buy any of that "warmth" audiofool guff. The ONLY thing vinyl has got going for it is the art, and the ritual.(And, if we are talking certain origional Krautrock presses - the smell.)

But old habits die hard.

I NEVER buy new vinyl. (From what I read, many prog reissues are terrible quality.)
I have most of SiWan re-issue lps, but got them ages ago thru trade with a dealer and Cookie who used to run the SiWan record stor in Toronto. Thats the extent of my "new" vinyl.

Vinyl is good - real good - when you can get a scratchy copy for only 50 cents.

tom unbound
11-16-2012, 09:21 AM
I enjoy looking thru old vinyl records. Moreso these days, because most stores are only accepting those in mint condition. And if it's not mint, it's cheap !! Checking out unknown bands for way less than a dollar. (yeah, I use YouTube for that, but still, judging a band by the cover sometimes still works .) And those new $25.00 albums that don't sell are going to get there sooner or later. (Acid Mothers Temple was my latest find ) ! I have no desire to digitize my albums, I should digitize my live concert cassettes, but, better versions are online all ready to download. The few shows I've taped are hardly worth going thru all the trouble....

PeterG
11-16-2012, 11:59 AM
But, truth be told, vinyl sucks compared to cd.

I totally disagree, if you have a quality turntable and replace the stylus regularly and look after your records the sound is far superior to CDs. I agree with you though about all that "audiophile warmth guff".

For me vinyl sounds better because it delivers a more nuanced sound and a stronger signal, i.e. I hear a difference in volumes and separaiton between insturments and voices, as opposed to most CDs nowadays with everything at the same level and everything all coming out of the speakers together with no separation and no definition.

rcarlberg
11-16-2012, 12:11 PM
I totally disagree, if you have a quality turntable and replace the stylus regularly and look after your records the sound is far superior to CDs. I agree with you though about all that "audiophile warmth guff".

For me vinyl sounds better because it delivers a more nuanced sound and a stonger signal, i.e. I hear a difference in volumes and separaiton between insturments and voices, as opposed to most CDs nowadays with everything at the same level and everything all coming out of the speakers together with no separation and no definition.I still have 2500 LPs in my collection, and I loved them unreservedly back in the day -- but to say LPs are sonically superior to CDs is just evolution-denying ignorant. A good LP on a good system has the potential to come close to the sound of a CD -- I've heard it with my own ears.

"More nuanced"? "Stronger signal"? You're just embarassing yourself. The science is indisputable.

Rael
11-16-2012, 12:30 PM
I still have 2500 LPs in my collection, and I loved them unreservedly back in the day -- but to say LPs are sonically superior to CDs is just evolution-denying ignorant. A good LP on a good system has the potential to come close to the sound of a CD -- I've heard it with my own ears.

"More nuanced"? "Stronger signal"? You're just embarassing yourself. The science is indisputable.

Where is this indisputable science?

IMO, it's all in the mastering. There is great and bad for both analog and digital.

PeterG
11-16-2012, 12:33 PM
ignorant.

Don't call me ignorant!! You can have your opinion. But stop with the namecalling! END of!

PeterG
11-16-2012, 12:35 PM
For those of you who think CDs are superior, please don't hijack the thread with a pointless discussion. Leave the thread to those of us who prefer the sound of analogue.

PeterG
11-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Where is this indisputable science?

IMO, it's all in the mastering. There is great and bad for both analog and digital.

Exactly!