PDA

View Full Version : Missing from Groups

Hal...
11-15-2012, 12:33 PM
The "view first unread" link is a godsend after PE.2 quit graying out the read page links a few years ago. Unfortunately, it's missing from Groups at PE.3. Was this going to be added to them in the future?

Duncan Glenday
11-15-2012, 02:24 PM
We cannot add that in. We have asked the software vendor to handle groups the same way as threads - no idea if they'll do it,. though.

Hal...
11-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks.

Scott Bails
11-15-2012, 09:04 PM
The "view first unread" link is a godsend after PE.2 quit graying out the read page links a few years ago. Unfortunately, it's missing from Groups at PE.3. Was this going to be added to them in the future?

Thanks to ronmac, I found out that if you click on "New Posts," you can then access "New Group Messages" (on the same menu bar, but for whatever reason, you don't get that option on the main forum). So, anyway, click on New Group Messages, and you'll get the Group version of New Posts. You can then click on the little blue circle on the left of each topic and get to the last post read.

Hope that makes sense.

Hal...
11-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Yep. Thanks Scott.

80s were ok
11-18-2012, 12:20 PM
I like the "New Posts" feature.

Scott Bails
11-18-2012, 09:40 PM
I like the "New Posts" feature.

One of the best things about V3, IMO.

moecurlythanu
11-25-2012, 06:38 PM
It would be nice if upon coming to the site, there was a notification of unread Group posts, the same way there used to be on PE 2 for Private Messages. (Yes, I know we have that here for PMs.) It used to drive me nuts when someone I had on ignore was the last poster in a thread, but now it would be mighty handy.

Dan Roth
11-25-2012, 07:12 PM
I love the "New Posts" feature. One thing I have noticed though....if I respond to a thread, and submit my reply, then click on "New Posts", that thread is not in the list. Even though I just responded to it. Maybe its in the New Posts lists for everyone but the last poster? Seemed like an odd quirk, and thats happened to me a couple times.

Hal...
11-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks to ronmac, I found out that if you click on "New Posts," you can then access "New Group Messages" (on the same menu bar, but for whatever reason, you don't get that option on the main forum). So, anyway, click on New Group Messages, and you'll get the Group version of New Posts.

I accidentally discovered something a little easier and that requires a click or two less. For each Group you're involved in, you can "subscribe" to the individual "Discussions" (you can also subscribe to the actual Group, as well). Group "discussions" won't show up when you click "Subscribed Threads" in the "Quick Links" menu, but they do if you click "Settings", at the very top, 3rd link from the right. In fact, any thread or discussion you've subscribed to, whether it's private or not, shows up there if there's a new post (with the "little blue circle" next to each).

So, after reading the new posts in a thread, I click the "Top" button (which is directly under the last post and on the right) which then scrolls to the top of the page. I then click "Settings" and, boom, there are the new posts to all my subscribed threads.

Scott Bails
11-25-2012, 08:55 PM
I love the "New Posts" feature. One thing I have noticed though....if I respond to a thread, and submit my reply, then click on "New Posts", that thread is not in the list. Even though I just responded to it. Maybe its in the New Posts lists for everyone but the last poster? Seemed like an odd quirk, and thats happened to me a couple times.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the developers of the software probably assumed that you read your own post, ergo, no new posts.

Dan Roth
11-25-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the developers of the software probably assumed that you read your own post, ergo, no new posts.

Yeah, Thats what i was thinking also. Just caught me by surprise.

Trane
11-26-2012, 04:44 AM
I accidentally discovered something a little easier and that requires a click or two less. For each Group you're involved in, you can "subscribe" to the individual "Discussions" (you can also subscribe to the actual Group, as well). Group "discussions" won't show up when you click "Subscribed Threads" in the "Quick Links" menu, but they do if you click "Settings", at the very top, 3rd link from the right. In fact, any thread or discussion you've subscribed to, whether it's private or not, shows up there if there's a new post (with the "little blue circle" next to each).

So, after reading the new posts in a thread, I click the "Top" button (which is directly under the last post and on the right) which then scrolls to the top of the page. I then click "Settings" and, boom, there are the new posts to all my subscribed threads.

I just tried this... and the group discussions don't show up in my subscribed thread list (as you say)... but I'll wait until there are new posts in those to see if they show up in settings... hopefully it works, because it will save some extra clicking around ... in case it does, thanks ;)

however, the second part of your post, the "back to top of page function" seems evident that it only saves manual scromlling.... it that's a feature available everywhere but in 2.0

Duncan Glenday
11-26-2012, 10:12 AM
...the "back to top of page function" seems evident that it only saves manual scromlling.... it that's a feature available everywhere but in 2.0

Not that it matters any more - but actually, PEv2 does have a 'top' button.

Go to any thread.
The copper-colored bar along the top has the title of the thread.
Look at the far right-hand and of that bar - there's a small icon with an up arrow. That is a "top" button.

Hal...
11-26-2012, 06:56 PM
I just tried this... and the group discussions don't show up in my subscribed thread list (as you say)... but I'll wait until there are new posts in those to see if they show up in settings... hopefully it works, because it will save some extra clicking around ... in case it does, thanks ;)
They do, but you have to make sure you're subscribed to individual "Discussions" in any groups you're involved in. They will be separate from "Threads".
There should be a button toward the bottom that reads "View All Subscribed Discussions". If you click that, it will list all the discussions you're subscribed to. It works, trust me.

however, the second part of your post, the "back to top of page function" seems evident that it only saves manual scromllingExactly. It's instantaneous.

Not that it matters any more - but actually, PEv2 does have a 'top' button.

You're right. I forgot about that. I just never needed it. With this forum it's a godsend.

Sean
11-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Anyone notice when you click New Posts and see the list, if you click the blue circle by the name of the thread it takes you to the newest post in one mere click.

Scott Bails
11-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Yes! LOVE that!

Trane
11-27-2012, 06:17 AM
You're right. I forgot about that. I just never needed it. With this forum it's a godsend.

Yeah, I never needed it in 2.0 (to the point I almost forgot it), but here, that feature is indeed helpful