PDA

View Full Version : Donald Fagen On Letterman Tonight!

progeezer
11-15-2012, 11:21 AM
This was previously posted in the DF "Sunken Condos" thread, but if you didn't open that thread but still have an interest in hearing DF, I figured this wouldn't hurt.:)

Facelift
11-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Cool! I'll have to tune in.

Jerjo
11-15-2012, 12:14 PM
AWESOME!

Hal...
11-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks, man! I totally forgot about it. :O

Nearfest2
11-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Nice!

spellbound
11-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll tune in.

davis
11-16-2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DznqCMpcQxQ

progeezer
11-16-2012, 03:24 PM
^^^^^^^^ Thanks!:)

GuitarGeek
11-16-2012, 03:40 PM
I wonder why the guitarist had tape going across the headstock of his guitar. I know they deliberately hide the logos on keyboard instruments, for whatever stupid corporate reason, but I don't think I've ever seen them cover up the logo on a guitar before.

FrippWire
11-16-2012, 10:17 PM
More importantly, Zooey Deschanel was on the same show. Major hottie.

zombywoof
11-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Never heard Steely Dan before, but I enjoyed it.

Jerjo
11-16-2012, 10:27 PM
That earworm is stuck in my head now. Not the best song on the album but still pretty sweet.

HealthyNational
11-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Never heard Steely Dan before, but I enjoyed it.
Whaaaaa? Just awoke from a coma or visiting from Mars?

You need to drop everything NOW and listen to "Aja" and "The Royal Scam" albums.

NOW!"

zombywoof
11-18-2012, 09:45 PM

You need to drop everything NOW and listen to "Aja" and "The Royal Scam" albums.

NOW!"

Just never crossed my radar. Thanks for the suggestions!

Hal...
11-19-2012, 03:37 PM
More importantly, Zooey Deschanel was on the same show. Major hottie.
Agreed. Just didn't really enjoy the interview. I think she might have been a bit nervous.

Rand Kelly
11-20-2012, 01:33 AM
She never even mentioned her Sister Emily from Bones,which I thought was kinda odd. Fagen's song was pretty dull actually.

GuitarGeek
11-20-2012, 03:04 PM
She never even mentioned her Sister Emily from Bones,which I thought was kinda odd..

Well, that's Dave's fault. He wasted 5 minutes asking about her name. But I think maybe the last time Zooey was on, they talked about Emily, since I think at the time she had just recently given birth.

Camelogue
11-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Thank you Steve.

3LockBox
11-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Never heard Steely Dan before

I don't believe you

zombywoof
11-20-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't believe you

Aside from my old high school jazz ensemble performing Josie, I've never heard a note of Steely Dan.

Jerjo
11-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Turn out the lights and play this loud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmUfP37d8yU

mcdonap
11-21-2012, 06:16 AM
I wonder why the guitarist had tape going across the headstock of his guitar. I know they deliberately hide the logos on keyboard instruments, for whatever stupid corporate reason, but I don't think I've ever seen them cover up the logo on a guitar before.

That's the great Wayne Krantz!
Not sure why he's covering the James Tyler logo... I've seen it before. I always figured it was for artist endorsement reasons.

Either way, awesome guitarist, awesome guitar.

No Pride
11-21-2012, 10:39 AM

NOW!"
He's 20 years old; he's forgiven.

But yeah, those are the two I'd recommend as well.

No Pride
11-21-2012, 10:48 AM
What's interesting about Krantz working with Fagen and touring with Steely Dan is that their music dictates that he must do everything he's talked about trying to avoid musically, playing blues and bebop cliches. Of course, not many musicians would be willing to stand their philosophical ground if it meant turning down Fagen or SD!

On "Sunken Condos," Krantz played the most beboppy solo I've ever heard him do. I loved it, but I wonder if he felt like taking a shower afterwards. :lol

GuitarGeek
11-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Not sure why he's covering the James Tyler logo... I've seen it before. I always figured it was for artist endorsement reasons.

Either way, awesome guitarist, awesome guitar.

Wait, you mean he always keeps the logo on the guitar covered, or you've seen other guitarists do that on talk show appearances? I've heard it said that, for whatever reason, they have to keep logos covered up on talk shows. I think it was Michelle Moog-Koussa who said that someone was supposed to appear on The Tonight Show a few months back, and was intending to wear a Moog Foundation t-shirt, but wasn't allowed to, because it constituted "free advertising" or some bullshit like that. I've heard it explained that's why the back panel logos on keyboards are typically obscured when musicians perform on TV, and also why you can't see any logo badges on any of Paul Schaeffer's keyboards on the Letterman show.

On the other hand, you see people wearing band t-shirts all the time. I remember the time Tears For Fears were on The Tonight Show, Nick D'Virigilio wore an AC/DC shirt, for instance. And typically, you don't see the headstock logos or bass drum logos covered up like that.