PDA

View Full Version : Stomu Yamashta - any fans?

Sunhillow
07-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Ever since Esoteric Recordings dug up the 70s albums of Japanese percussionist Stomu Yamashta, I've became a big fan. I was only slightly familiar with "Go", but I've discovered that all albums are worth the time and money, while some albums are even masterpieces.

My personal top 5 would be:

1. Raindog (an astonishing masterpiece IMO):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaS00aW3BK4

2. Go (it's status as a classic is well deserved) or its equally great Go Live In Paris (with a reversed side A and B, which makes it feel like an entirely different album in a way).

3. Freedom Is Frightening (featuring the great Gary Boyle):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aJoRCbF3C0

4. Floating Music (especially the side-long title track is stunning)

5. Go Too (while certainly not on par with "Go", if all disco would have been as good as on this disc, I would've been a huge disco-fan. Greatly underestimated):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsK1-lL80N4

One By One and The Man From The East contain some great tracks too, but they don't reach the heights of the above.

Any more fans? Maybe some people who only know "Go"? Or more fans thanks to Vicky? Speaking of Vicky, any chance of contacting Stomu for a reunion, featuring Steve Winwood, Gary Boyle and Al DiMeola, maybe even Murray Head? Who knows, if the right buttons are pushed, "Go Three" is in the making before we know it. Stranger things have happened!

gryphs also
07-14-2013, 03:20 PM
I admit I've only heard the Go recordings but I like them very much. Often wondered about his other work...

Shadow
07-14-2013, 04:19 PM
I bought his albums back in the 70's, but haven't listened to them as of late.

Sunhillow
07-14-2013, 04:43 PM
So, have you had a chance to listen to the albums I've put up above? Mu apologies by the way for putting up entire albums. There is not much else on YT. Though I reckon and hope for this thread it's tolerated.

helicase
07-14-2013, 04:53 PM
One of the best east meets west fusions. I already had the complete Go sessions on the Australian Raven label, so when Esoteric started re-releasing more of his albums, I didn't need to think twice. The only one I don't really like is One by One (your typical lame 70s soundtrack). Never mind a Go reunion, what about reissuing some more of his back catalogue first? (Notably Sea & Sky)

gregory
07-14-2013, 07:13 PM
My favorite is Floating Music(1972). Poker Dice is great.

Oreb
07-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Stomu's collaboration with John Williams (he of 'Star Wars' fame, but IMO a much greater artist than that might suggest to the uninitiated) on the soundtrack of Robert Altman's Images is definitely worth checking out. Here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juzx5lFGu3o

FredOCal
07-14-2013, 08:50 PM
I heard "Go" a few years ago during the annual WXPN prog night and it really surprised me to the point where I went on a tear and picked up everything I could. I haven't heard "Raindog" or "One By One" yet, but they're on my list. The one I need to come back to because I want to like it is "Red Buddha." For some reason, it hasn't clicked with me the way I hoped it would. I really love "Floating Music" and "Freedom Is Frightening."

Calabasas_Trafalgar
07-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Really liked Freedom is Frightening and Come to the Edge back in the day, but haven't played them in eons. Go didn't click much for me, and I lost interest after that.

Sunhillow
07-15-2013, 02:08 AM
I heard "Go" a few years ago during the annual WXPN prog night and it really surprised me to the point where I went on a tear and picked up everything I could. I haven't heard "Raindog" or "One By One" yet, but they're on my list. The one I need to come back to because I want to like it is "Red Buddha." For some reason, it hasn't clicked with me the way I hoped it would. I really love "Floating Music" and "Freedom Is Frightening."

Order especially "Raindog" today. Above there's a stream of the complete album. You won't regret it. If you happen to don't like it at all, I'll refund you the money.

Progbear
07-15-2013, 02:28 AM
Stomu's collaboration with John Williams (he of 'Star Wars' fame, but IMO a much greater artist than that might suggest to the uninitiated) on the soundtrack of Robert Altman's Images is definitely worth checking out. Here's a taste:

I admit: this is what I mainly know Yamashta from. I think this is by far Williams’ most interesting soundtrack, back when he was young and still willing to experiment, before his style ossified into cheap sentiment and melodramatic claptrap. As for the film, it’s definitely a unique and bizarre head-trip, all the characters names are the names of the actors, but all jumbled up, the story Cathryn narrates (which is presumably the children’s story she is working on) is an actual book Susannah York wrote, and so on.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:“Nightmare”-Fairy/Hesperia

Oreb
07-15-2013, 03:02 AM
before his style ossified into cheap sentiment and melodramatic claptrap. He certainly has that tendency, but even through until today I think he's capable of surprising stuff - IMO the 'Tintin' soundtrack was remarkably good (never saw the movie, so I don't know how it worked in context).

Rarebird
07-15-2013, 05:49 AM
I still can remember seeing him in some television-program on music in which he was shown in a room full of percussion instruments and him running from one instrument to another.

Progmatic
07-15-2013, 07:53 AM
I have 3 albums Red Buddha, Floating Music & Freedom is Frightening

Freedom is the best of the lot....

Trane
07-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Yeah, I like Stomu's works (heard most of the 70's stuff)... but not enough to own many albums from him

I had the two Hopper collab albums and I still have the Go... Don't feel I need more (The library's got some of them if I need it)

Scrotum Scissor
07-15-2013, 12:09 PM
I have 3 albums Red Buddha, Floating Music & Freedom is Frightening

Freedom is the best of the lot....

I agree, although there are some highly interesting percussion works on Red Buddha. Floating Music and Raindog are good as well, although his attemptive merger of more or less "straight up" fusion with the avant-garde was an uneasy one. And the sonics on some of these recordings are a travesty.

I never really cared too much for the Go projects myself, although the Shrieve/Schulze meeting (especially) was intriguing.

strawberrybrick
07-15-2013, 12:20 PM
He's got a new-agey album from the early 80s which is pretty good. Love the old Island vinyl though...

MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
07-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Freedom is Fightening is a killer album.
Need to get Raindog!

Rarebird
07-15-2013, 03:59 PM
I've also seen a double album 'The complete Go sessions, which seems to contain Go, Go two and Go live.

Echoes
07-15-2013, 07:21 PM
In the early 1980s, he created a trilogy of albums for the Toji Temple in Kyoto. They’re called Iroha, which is part of the Japanese alphabet. Yamash'ta rolled his synthesizers and percussion into the temple, and created side-long suites. I’ve never seen these on CD. Some labels tried to release them as a best of but Yamash'ta wouldn't allow the work to be broken up. I interviewed him for Echoes in the early 1990s for one of my more memorable artist interactions. All day in his studio way up in the mountains above Kyoto, then he took us to dinner at a very trad Japanese restaurant and then a tour of the Toji Temple and tea with the monks. At the time he was working on music for "singing stones."

Rand Kelly
07-16-2013, 05:04 AM
I've also seen a double album 'The complete Go sessions, which seems to contain Go, Go two and Go live.

You are correct and they were all remastered,I bought it and highly recommend this box set.

Rarebird
07-16-2013, 05:25 AM
You are correct and they were all remastered,I bought it and highly recommend this box set.

At least it's cheaper than buying all albums seperately.

Progbear
07-17-2013, 01:37 AM
I never really cared too much for the Go projects myself, although the Shrieve/Schulze meeting (especially) was intriguing.

Of course this led to more Schulze/Shrieve collaborations (like Transfer Station Blue and the Richard Wahnfried albums).

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Tserouf”-Zao/Kawana

Reid
07-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Freedom is Fightening is a killer album.
Need to get Raindog!

These are arguably the strongest of the fusion/jam albums, along with Go-Live From Paris. Floating Music is mostly percussion, and a really nice analog recording. Some may love it, and others may get bored?

I've always felt that the compositional aspect of Y'Mashta's music isn't as interesting or on as high a level as the other major artists of the time. That's just my opinion. YMMV.

Scrotum Scissor
07-17-2013, 03:12 PM
I've always felt that the compositional aspect of Y'Mashta's music isn't as interesting or on as high a level as the other major artists of the time. That's just my opinion.

I follow you here. He was/is very much an instrumentalist, to such a degree that even a capacity like esteemed Japanese contemporary composer Toru Takemitsu wrote pieces specifically intended for Stomu to perform.

Rarebird
07-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I follow you here. He was/is very much an instrumentalist, to such a degree that even a capacity like esteemed Japanese contemporary composer Toru Takemitsu wrote pieces specifically intended for Stomu to perform.
He wasn't the only one. Aram Katchaturian Hans Werner Henze and John Cage seem to have done as well.

FredOCal
07-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Order especially "Raindog" today. Above there's a stream of the complete album. You won't regret it. If you happen to don't like it at all, I'll refund you the money.

Just received "Raindog" and listening now. This might end up being near the top for me. Thanks for the rec!

ZEPPELIN4EVER
07-19-2013, 05:57 PM
This "GO" album featuring a hodge podge of classic seventies prog rockers to me is an amazing piece of work.

I love both the cover art and the recording as stomu takes me on a visual and mental journey.

I find this album guilty of being a hugely underated gem from a relatively unknown artist.

I am really impressed with the help Stomu the artist got to record with him as he got worldly famous guest's such as Steve Winwood ex Traffic and AL D and Mike Shrive ex Santana and of course Klause ....

10 of 10 for this release.....

Sunhillow
07-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Just received "Raindog" and listening now. This might end up being near the top for me. Thanks for the rec!
haha great. Thanks for following the advice. Now get Freedom is Frightening too! It's short, but splendid!

happytheman
07-20-2013, 07:15 AM
This "GO" album featuring a hodge podge of classic seventies prog rockers to me is an amazing piece of work.
10 of 10 for this release.....

Yeah that was one of those "gems" you found by accident in the record bins.. I bought it strictly based on the names associated with it.. Then when I found the double live album..
I was in heaven..

Reid
07-20-2013, 09:37 AM
He wasn't the only one. Aram Katchaturian Hans Werner Henze and John Cage seem to have done as well.

I didn't know he had major composers writing for him. I'm a huge fan of Henze and Takemitsu. Very different composers, but both wrote wonderful and challenging music.