PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have Scraping The Barrel (Gentle Giant Boxset) ?

Mr Rael
11-14-2012, 02:50 PM
Just wondering what the contents are like. If there are any good tracks, or if it is just demo stuff . Thanks.

gregory
11-14-2012, 04:00 PM
yeah, me have. But it's in my old flat, so I can't tell you the details until Sunday, when I'll be there. There are some fine demos, and some 80's material by Kenny Minnear, 7or 8 songs, but nothing really worthy, very mediocre stuff to my surprize.

Fracktured
11-14-2012, 04:07 PM
yeah, me have. But it's in my old flat, so I can't tell you the details until Sunday, when I'll be there. There are some fine demos, and some 80's material by Kenny Minnear, 7or 8 songs, but nothing really worthy, very mediocre stuff to my surprize.

This is what I heard when it was released and stayed away from it.

Rick

ProgUK
11-14-2012, 04:10 PM
I have it on ebay right now for a great price:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261127995833?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

mkeneally
11-14-2012, 04:36 PM
For severely hardcore GG nerds (I raise my hand) it's a deep archive of interesting items. I'm glad to have it and don't regret the purchase at all - I listened through to all of it last year in the car over a series of drives and enjoyed it plenty. But I am a HARDCORE GG nerd. There are plenty of things on there that would only be of interest to archeologists of the band - it's a relaxed trawl through the tape archives, which is fun for me.

Mr Rael
11-14-2012, 05:54 PM
That's what I had heard about it. I thought there was some later live tracks that hadn't been released anywhere else, but judging by some of the bootleg releases I have heard, the sound quality is usually an issue.

Sunlight Caller
11-14-2012, 06:09 PM
I have it but it was a completist purchase, and I have honestly never given it that much attention. As the shelves groan with new product and my years advance, I tend to pull out the classics when I need a fix from the standard bearers of yore, but do like to have the archival material to reference from time to time too. Though unless you are a died in the wool GG nit I would say this is inessential.

polmico
11-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Had it, sold it. I think my review of it may still be on Amazon.

mozo-pg
11-14-2012, 07:32 PM
I have it but, at this time reflecting on it, can't remember where I put it. Nuff said.

bRETT
11-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Very little of it is actually by Gentle Giant as a band. Its nearly all pre-and-post Giant projects/demos/etc. The exception is the data disc, which contains virtually anything they could find...including an ERASED tape of an unreleased Giant song, which is almost kinda sorta audible if you turn your volume up all the way!

Prehensile Pencil
11-15-2012, 06:13 AM
Jeez, you guys are harsh !:lol I love this set. Mostly demos and isolations, some of the best being solo'd vocal ensemble tracks which clearly show the amazing compositional poise this band put into their singing. The vocal mix of "No God's a Man" is sick ! And, Gary Green's isolated guitar work on "Give It Back" and "Empty City" each border on sheer brilliance.

If you are a fan, and you think that, over the years, you've assimilated every last note and nuance of Giant's output, this collection will both set you straight, and amaze you.

gregory
11-15-2012, 03:55 PM
The title couldn't be much truer. They issued their tapes for selling. Rather strange idea, IMO. Imagine every band will compile such set. Would you buy that 'scrapped' stuff of your faves? I bought this GG box, and I was disappointed. Wouldn't sell it though.

Prehensile Pencil
11-16-2012, 06:14 AM
Imagine every band will compile such set. Would you buy that 'scrapped' stuff of your faves?

But, this is not a collection of things that were "scrapped". This is a very cool collection of documentations, that fans and aficionados adore.

Or, did you mean, "scraped" ? :)

Mr Rael
11-16-2012, 01:48 PM
The title couldn't be much truer. They issued their tapes for selling. Rather strange idea, IMO. Imagine every band will compile such set. Would you buy that 'scrapped' stuff of your faves? I bought this GG box, and I was disappointed. Wouldn't sell it though.

A bit of a Self-fulfilling prophecy.

It reminds me of a name for a band we had..."Inertia", but of course it never went anywhere.

gojikranz
11-17-2012, 04:28 PM
have it and love it. there are some new giantish songs featuring members working together. ltos of kerry minnear stuff. the data disc has two live shows so thats nice the rehearsal for a missing piece show is quite nice and it includes winning which i don't think i have heard live elsewhere.

also it has the shout stuff which i really like (i actually have the 7 inch they released)

but obviously it is the last thing you should get after you have loved all the original albums.

no.nine
11-17-2012, 06:08 PM
I thought this one went overboard. It's certainly got some interesting things sprinkled throughout, but on the whole, it's dispensable IMO. Only for absolute completists, it's really more of a reference than anything else.

Personally, for this type of release, I feel that Under Construction is the better purchase. It doesn't work well as a beginning-to-end listen either, but it has a much higher ratio of interesting material and most of it holds up as much more than a one-time listening for mere curiosity's sake.

[Scraping the Barrel] includes winning which i don't think i have heard live elsewhere.

Yes, the live version of "Winning" is great! It's much better than the arrangement that turned up on The Missing Piece, which COMPLETELY eliminates a couple of fine musical sections! I was lucky enough to see them perform it live, and it's a shame that this rough rehearsal is the only way to hear it now.

gregory
12-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Personally, for this type of release, I feel that Under Construction is the better purchase.
Yes, definitely. Their first 5 songs, which doesn't appear on the debut album, are worth to have. And I have bought Totally Out Of The Woods, which contain their early song City Hermit. Pity they didn't compile all unreleased material on one album.