PDA

View Full Version : Mobile App

Wisdomview
11-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Any plans for a mobile PE V.3 app similar to the one for the old forum? Apologies in advance if there is one already and I missed it.

lovecraft
11-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Yes I was wondering this too....?

battema
11-14-2012, 03:29 PM
My tablet automatically switches to a mobile view when I come to the site.

rcarlberg
11-14-2012, 03:36 PM
I did ask it on the first day, in the Administrator's forum, before I discovered that my iPhone automatically switches to a mobile version of PE using a portal called V-Bulletin.

Wisdomview
11-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I realize that it automatically comes up in a mobile format, but I am curious if there is an app that could be downloaded like there was for the last forum? I was use to just clicking on the app instead of having to go through my online browser. Maybe I'm just being lazy ;-)

Sunlight Caller
11-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Duncan has said that an App is on his hit list, so patience will reward us all! I think he has been a little busy lately!

rcarlberg
11-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I realize that it automatically comes up in a mobile format, but I am curious if there is an app that could be downloaded like there was for the last forum? I was use to just clicking on the app instead of having to go through my online browser. Maybe I'm just being lazy ;-)Well on the off-chance that you are unable to go over to the Administrator's forum for some reason, I *did* get a nice response from Duncan right away. Here it is:
Probably a few months. There are so many other things we still need to sort out - including :

•Get donations system working
•Chat Room
•Add a few more smilies
•Convert all of the reviews, articles & interviews
•Facebook interface (if we want it)
•Extract and and publish a few legacy threads from PEv2
•Turn on blogs (if we want them)
•Concert Calendar
•Turn off PEv2, redirect to here - has to be done in phases

And...

Mobile app.

We're busy prioritizing these updates. Meantime - if you go to the bottom right-hand corner of your screen, there's a drop-down box that allows you to change the style - one of the options is 'mobile'. Like the old PE-Mobile, it isn't an app - it's a mobile-friendly version of this system. Much easier to navigate on a phone or a pad. Regards,

Duncan

Wisdomview
11-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the info.

ChrisXymphonia
11-16-2012, 06:46 AM
Was there an app for old PE? I know there was a mobile version but never knew there was an app for it.

Vic2012
11-16-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm using the mobile version but it's missing some features, like "view first unread " and new posts.

Vic2012
12-22-2012, 10:51 AM
I just discovered that the mobile version does have a "view first unread" feature. When you find the thread you want you don't open the thread, you touch the arrow (this thing -----> ">") to the right of the thread title.

Scott Bails
12-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Was there an app for old PE? I know there was a mobile version but never knew there was an app for it.

The way I understood it, Duncan said that there was a mobile version for V2 but that this new version will have a full-blown app.

But I'm sure he'll speak for himself on this issue shortly. :)

Vic2012
12-22-2012, 11:21 AM
What is the difference between the "full blown app" and the current version of PE mobile?

Duncan Glenday
12-22-2012, 11:45 AM
Lemme 'splain:

PEv2:

I developed a simplified version of the system called "PE-Mobile". It was - to the extent possible in about a week's work - optimized for mobile devices like phones and pads. It was not an "app" - it was web-based, and just eliminated the extra bumph that was extraneous to the boards themselves, and provided simple, reliable ways to navigate the system. (In fact, I found myself using PE-Mobile on my PC as a matter of course.)

PEv3 has two separate things:

1). There's a mobile version of the system that's virtually the same as PEv2's PE-Mobile. I.e. it's a simplified version of the same system, it does not have all the functionality, and it's optimized for viewing on phones and tablets. Again - it is not an "app" - it's web-based. To view this version on your mobile device OR on your PC: Go to the bottom-left-hand corner of any screen. There's a drop-down box with a few options. One of them said "Default Mobile Style" - and selecting that provides the handheld-optimized view of the system. (Just for grins and consistency I've renamed it "PEv3-Mobile".)

2). To be released at some point in the future ... we will create a proper "app" for PEv3, which will work on both - iProducts and Android platforms. Expect that in the next 6 months or so. It will only happen after a few current glitches have been addressed, and after the huge job of migrating the reviews etc. across.

Vic2012
12-22-2012, 11:54 AM
2). To be released at some point in the future ... we will create a proper "app" for PEv3, which will work on both - iProducts and Android platforms. Expect that in the next 6 months or so. It will only happen after a few current glitches have been addressed, and after the huge job of migrating the reviews etc. across.

I'm curious because this is all new to me (smart phones, mobile apps, etc.). So this app is something that has to be downloaded and installed locally (on the phone)? Then once it's installed what happens? Do I have a shortcut on my desktop (the main page of the phone where all my other shortcuts are)? Sorry if I sound ignorant. I resisted the whole smartphone wave for years. Today I can't imagine not having one. I have a cheap Samsung but I'm amazed at all the fancy bells and whistles it has.

Duncan Glenday
12-22-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm curious because this is all new to me (smart phones, mobile apps, etc.). So this app is something that has to be downloaded and installed locally (on the phone)? Then once it's installed what happens? Do I have a shortcut on my desktop (the main page of the phone where all my other shortcuts are)? Sorry if I sound ignorant. I resisted the whole smartphone wave for years. Today I can't imagine not having one. I have a cheap Samsung but I'm amazed at all the fancy bells and whistles it has.

Basically - yes. What you said. Go to the app store (or whatever your phone system uses), download the app - which I will have loaded there, and put the icon on your home screen. Then - open the icon, and PE stuff is presented in a different format.

We'll make big announcements at the time the app is available - but please understand that it's very low in our list of priorities, because you can already use PEv3-Mobile.

BTW - try this: open PEv3-Mobile on your phone or pad, and save the bookmark to your desktop. That will take you straight in to PE - rather like an app. And if you're using Apple's iProducts, you'll even have a proper Apple-styled icon ... which looks like this:

http://www.progressiveears.org/apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png

Or...

http://www.progressiveears.com/Mobile/help/images/iPhone_Logo.gif

Vic2012
12-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks. I didn't know I could make a shortcut on my homepage for the bookmark. I tried it just now. I now have a PE shortcut on my home screen.