PDA

View Full Version : New project from digestif - seeking feedback from prog musicians & composers

digestif
07-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Although this project has been posted on the main forum it only got a couple of (very positive) replies before disappearing to the back pages, and I see other posts getting more feedback than that on this forum.

digestif is instrumental prog, and its latest project is mygrain:

www.digestif.co.uk/mygrain (http://www.digestif.co.uk/mygrain)

Any feedback on the quality (especially of the writing but also playing or recording) would be really helpful and help digestif decide what to do next.
Thanks!

Yodelgoat
07-05-2013, 11:37 AM
The playing is definitely tight, I'm less of a instrumental prog guy, so I prefer to hear lyrics. I think the song was well recorded. I thought the overall structure of the song was probably its weakest point (which isn't bad at all, but I'm just saying, since you are asking for honest feedback) I found the structure was a little repetitive, with what seemed to my ears, like jazz improv over a tight series of licks. To my ears, a bit more change up would be helpful. Of course, I think you will get a lot of Kudos from others, because of the jazz influence there.

Good luck, and I hope this was at least a little helpful. Its not anything particularly groundbreaking to my ears, but I liked what I heard, although admittedly, this type of music is fairly lightly represented in my own collection.

klothos
07-07-2013, 12:30 AM
I enjoyed the 3 songs very very much. My fave was "Wholegrain Fantasy". Without vocals, some songs - like "Wholegrain" - have a "new-age jazzy" quality in spots that takes away from the "Progginess" (is that a word? :lol) I would personally like to hear these songs with interesting melody lines with the right vocalist...as always, Your Mileage May Vary :)

trurl
07-08-2013, 12:26 AM
I like it a lot! Great guitar work. I don't mind that it's instrumental (I suppose I wouldn't, heaving done an instrumental album myself :D) Keep at it, would love to hear a complete album!

digestif
07-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks all for the helpful feedback. Stating your listening bias as you have done is very helpful.

I thought the overall structure of the song was probably its weakest point...like jazz improv over a tight series of licks. To my ears, a bit more change up would be helpful.

My guess is that this applies to the first tune Creative Energy - the others are less jazzy, more symphonic, with more change and less repetition, especially Wholegrain Fantasy, so if you like symphonic instrumentals at all you might like to try that one.

Creative Energy is supposed to have that background of repetition, a chant/groove thing, I suppose there is some Magma influence for example.
On Wholegrain Fantasy on the other hand, the biggest influences are classical.

a "new-age jazzy" quality in spots that takes away from the "Progginess"
Had to think about that for a minute but perhaps I know what you mean. As prog is itself a minority, some of the music I like is a minority in comparison with mainstream prog, and might not be considered prog. I used the term "progfusion" as the title of my last CD, which seems to sum up music like Creative Energy.
(Still, I can't imagine what parts of Wholegrain Fantasy are new-age jazzy.)

Interesting that 2 out of 3 responses were looking for vocals (and also 1 out of 2 on main board). I stopped doing vocals years ago because I didn't feel I had a cool tone but I have played covers & jams for years with a great singer-bass player for whom I am going to try to write some vocal lines.

digestif
07-09-2013, 08:08 AM
having done an instrumental album myself :D) Keep at it, would love to hear a complete album!
My system is blocking that bandcamp URL but I'll check it out at home.

would love to hear a complete album!
There is more at www.digestif.co.uk/progfusion.html (http://www.digestif.co.uk/progfusion.html) and I think I'll now put the whole of that album up. The progfusion project was more towards the fusion end of my spectrum.

digestif
08-16-2013, 07:50 AM
I don't mind that it's instrumental (I suppose I wouldn't, heaving done an instrumental album myself :D)
I finally got round to checking out trurl's bandcamp album - it's good! I noticed straight away that the instrumental chops are
good, better than mine. If this is the work of just one person then it's probably the most impressive I have heard. I've heard great guitar-focussed multi-instrumentalists but their drums are not usually so good. Good sounds too. Must return to give further listens and get into the compositions.

Great guitar work.
Now I've heard yours, that's a great compliment, thanks!