PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me Remove an Abusive Photo on Facebook

zombywoof
06-19-2013, 02:27 AM
Hi everyone,

Some lunatic is using my private photo to harass me on his page. I've tried reporting it several times, only to receive a message back from Facebook saying that they don't find it to be harassment. How ISN'T this harassment? He's using my private photo to make a laughing stock of me and prog fans in general! Perhaps if enough of you 'report' this image, FB will take it down. Much appreciated!

Ian

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=506816836050761&set=pb.481686611897117.-2207520000.1371584329.&type=3&theater

sonic
06-19-2013, 03:36 AM
Facebook is a disgrace.
I reported it for you.

This might help:
http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/facebook-ignores-harassment-complaints-06380/

zombywoof
06-19-2013, 03:56 AM
Thanks, Sonic! And thanks for the article... A very informative read.

Scrotum Scissor
06-19-2013, 06:17 AM
I'm no longer on FB, so I can't really assist.

As to the point of FB not "getting" the harrassment factor, I suppose most "outsiders" don't find the "prog geek" cliche to be derogatory - probably because they're not acquainted with the concept in the first place - whatsoever.

Can't say I miss FB. Real life is better.

progeezer
06-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Thank you for starting this thread, ZW. It affirms my decision years ago to stay the f*** away from social media other than PE.

VickiLynn
06-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Well, I reported it as "harassing my friend" but there was no place to explain that you had already asked the poster to remove your personal photo and he wouldn't comply.

I like facebook -- I have older children and lots of friends all over the globe to keep in touch with. I don't like the thought that strangers can take your personal photos and use them! Is/was this guy a friend at one time? I think you can upload your photos so that only friends can view them.

zombywoof
06-19-2013, 08:03 PM
I don't even know who this person is. I did have a falling out with a proghead on FB recently that need with the other person very upset. The thought crossed my mind that it could be the same person. As for my photos, I have them all set to private now. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to do this in the first place. I guess it never occurred to me that some loon might take one of my photos and post it to abuse me when I have no idea who it could be.

Scott Bails
06-19-2013, 08:15 PM
It's a shame that something that is used for so many cool things, like re-connecting with lost friends, etc. is so abused by some.

Like progeezer, I've never been involved with Facebook - too much drama.

ronmac
06-19-2013, 08:30 PM
It's a shame that something that is used for so many cool things, like re-connecting with lost friends, etc. is so abused by some.

Like progeezer, I've never been involved with Facebook - too much drama.

The biggest FB problem, by far, is cyber bullying in schools. It's really bad. IT follows it's victims 24/7 and accross other school districts. Kids get "marked." That's all it takes. Kids are killing themselves over this shit.

Oreb
06-19-2013, 08:47 PM
If you've got family across the globe, FaceBook is a great way of staying connected.

Simple policy: have no 'friends' who aren't Friends.

sonic
06-19-2013, 09:39 PM
I received a bullshit answer back from facebook:

Status This photo wasn't removed
Details Thank you for taking the time to report something that you feel may violate our Community Standards. Reports like yours are an important part of making Facebook a safe and welcoming environment. We reviewed the photo you reported for harassment and found it doesn't violate our community standard on bullying and harassment.
We understand you still may not want to see this photo. Here are a few things you can do:

This has nothing to do with me, but I'm mad. Someone needs to start a class action suit against that abomination of a site. So much abuse is going on there and they don't give a shit.

Scott Bails
06-19-2013, 09:44 PM
Someone needs to start a class action suit against that abomination of a site. So much abuse is going on there and they don't give a shit.

Or....y'know...you could just...I dunno...not use it?

JKL2000
06-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Is he linking to your photo on FB, or did he copy it and save it to his own FB account?

I actually think the best advice may be to just deactivate your FB account for a while - he'll probably change his background or whatever. I actually don't think you need to make that big a deal of it, even if the guy is a wast of space. It'll go away.

sonic
06-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Or....y'know...you could just...I dunno...not use it?
I'm taking about already existing abuse. It's a bit late to say that to people already having problems.

zombywoof
06-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Thanks for being so passionate about this, Sonic. I was angry, too, the first time I got that message. I plan to annoy them until they do something ... ya know, squeaky wheel and all... :-)

Scott Bails
06-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Actually, I'm directing it at folks who are having problems.

Walk away from it, and they can't harass you.

progeezer
06-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Seems so simple, doesn't it?

zombywoof
06-19-2013, 10:12 PM
It's not the first image he's used of me. The first was an image of me holding the "In the Court of the Crimson King" cover in front of my face. Luckily, he had the nerve to actually share it so I was able to remove it, along with his abusive comments (though the comments on the photo from others were in my favor). This one, however, seems to have been saved to a hard drive and reuploaded. Which begs the question, how many other photos has he stolen from me? It really sickens me. Luckily, I've switched everything to private on my page and am now using a photo of Spock to protect myself. Sad, isn't it?

Scott Bails
06-19-2013, 10:18 PM
I don't know enough about Facebook, so forgive my ignorance, but if you posted the photo yourself, how, exactly, was it stolen? If you posted it, and he was able to see it, you realize that you can't ever get it back, right?

We warn our kids to not post anything on the Internet that you wouldn't want the whole world to see, right?

ForeverAutumn
06-19-2013, 10:30 PM
I just reported it three times for three different reasons. Maybe they'll get the hint or just get tired of investigating the same photo over and over again. You might also want to try reporting it under their intellectual property or privacy law rules. https://www.facebook.com/help/217091804975136/

BTW, I'm just going to keep reporting it...every time I'm on FB which is a couple of times a day. :)

Dave (in MA)
06-19-2013, 10:43 PM
A lot of pro-Zappa comments underneath.

zombywoof
06-19-2013, 11:40 PM
I just reported it three times for three different reasons. Maybe they'll get the hint or just get tired of investigating the same photo over and over again. You might also want to try reporting it under their intellectual property or privacy law rules. https://www.facebook.com/help/217091804975136/

BTW, I'm just going to keep reporting it...every time I'm on FB which is a couple of times a day. :)

That's great, thank you!

zombywoof
06-19-2013, 11:41 PM
I don't know enough about Facebook, so forgive my ignorance, but if you posted the photo yourself, how, exactly, was it stolen? If you posted it, and he was able to see it, you realize that you can't ever get it back, right?

We warn our kids to not post anything on the Internet that you wouldn't want the whole world to see, right?

Sure, but that doesn't make what he did right, does it?

Rune Blackwings
06-20-2013, 06:26 AM
Gotcher back, dude!

Lopez
06-20-2013, 08:21 AM
Thank you for starting this thread, ZW. It affirms my decision years ago to stay the f*** away from social media other than PE.

What Steve said goes for me, too.

Scott Bails
06-20-2013, 08:22 AM
Sure, but that doesn't make what he did right, does it?

No, not at all. The guy's an idiot, no doubt.

Brian Griffin
06-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone,

Some lunatic is using my private photo to harass me on his page. I've tried reporting it several times, only to receive a message back from Facebook saying that they don't find it to be harassment. How ISN'T this harassment? He's using my private photo to make a laughing stock of me and prog fans in general! Perhaps if enough of you 'report' this image, FB will take it down. Much appreciated!

Ian

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=506816836050761&set=pb.481686611897117.-2207520000.1371584329.&type=3&theater

While I would have preferred it to be "YES" rather than Zappa themed, it is a pretty cool pic actually, as many of the comments below it attest to :)

I wouldn't sweat it youngblood

BG

Jerjo
06-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Looks like people are piling on the idiot that posted your photo. Pretty soon he's going to hike up his skirts and go away.

Facelift
06-20-2013, 10:28 AM
If you post photos about yourself on social networking sites, they can eventually be used against you. That's the world we now live in. It would be nice if Facebook honored such requests to remove, as you have made (it would be nice if about a thousand things concerning Facebook were different!) but they are certainly not obligated to. It's best to just learn from it and move on.

ForeverAutumn
06-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Six more reports from me this morning! :) I don't know if it will help...but it certainly won't hurt.

DrGoon
06-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Who took the photo? Have them claim copyright on the image and make the statement that it is being used without permission. Make it a DMCA matter. Facebook will deal with it then.

zombywoof
06-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Who took the photo? Have them claim copyright on the image and make the statement that it is being used without permission. Make it a DMCA matter. Facebook will deal with it then.

My dad took the photo. Since it wasn't shared from my page, it was obviously saved to a hard drive and reuploaded. Which begs the question, how many other photos does this loon intend to harass me with? He's already used two, so he's obviously got it out for me for some reason.

zombywoof
06-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Six more reports from me this morning! :) I don't know if it will help...but it certainly won't hurt.

Wonderful. If you are using mobile, you can file more than one. I shot off 40 this morning. :-)

sonic
06-20-2013, 11:30 AM
I'm not so sure any 'person' actually reads the complaints. They must get thousands a day. I wouldn't be surprised if the replies are automated.

ForeverAutumn
06-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Wonderful. If you are using mobile, you can file more than one. I shot off 40 this morning. :-)

I'm on a PC but was still able to send multiples. I just had to wait about 5 second in between. I got a response from one of yesterday's reports. Basically the same crap that you put. But if you follow it through, you can take a little survey about whether you are satisfied with the response or not, and then it finally takes you to a section where you can comment. So I commented that the photo was a personal photo stolen from your page without permission and the poster refuses to take it down. I hope it helps.

zombywoof
06-20-2013, 01:39 PM
While I would have preferred it to be "YES" rather than Zappa themed, it is a pretty cool pic actually, as many of the comments below it attest to :)

BG

The real story of this photo is that it was taken by request for a certain Frank Zappa writer (who shall remain nameless). She asked for a photo with me with Zappa records and a written piece on my discovery of the man's music. After we couldn't agree on the length (she called my piece 'too writerly'), I turned her down. You can read the piece here:

http://zombywoofblog.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/my-continuing-discovery-of-frank-zappa/

VickiLynn
06-20-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm on a PC but was still able to send multiples. I just had to wait about 5 second in between. I got a response from one of yesterday's reports. Basically the same crap that you put. But if you follow it through, you can take a little survey about whether you are satisfied with the response or not, and then it finally takes you to a section where you can comment. So I commented that the photo was a personal photo stolen from your page without permission and the poster refuses to take it down. I hope it helps.
I took the survey and also was able to explain the situation. Hopefully someone reads those messages!

Brian Griffin
06-20-2013, 04:41 PM
The real story of this photo is that it was taken by request for a certain Frank Zappa writer (who shall remain nameless). She asked for a photo with me with Zappa records and a written piece on my discovery of the man's music. After we couldn't agree on the length (she called my piece 'too writerly'), I turned her down. You can read the piece here:

http://zombywoofblog.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/my-continuing-discovery-of-frank-zappa/

Checked it out, thanks

Yer pops sounds cool!

BG

firth5th
06-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Sue the bejesus out of Facebook.

zombywoof
06-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Sue the bejesus out of Facebook.

Haha, not a bad idea. It could pay for my college education and maybe a few more Zappa LPs while I'm at it. ;-)

Joe F.
06-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Haha, not a bad idea. It could pay for my college education and maybe a few more Zappa LPs while I'm at it. ;-)

Not only do you get the Desenex burger...

Obscured
06-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Zappa themed, it is a pretty cool pic actually, as many of the comments below it attest to :)

BG
My sentiments exactly. I especially liked the "you call that a Zappa collection?" comment!

zombywoof
06-21-2013, 12:34 AM
My sentiments exactly. I especially liked the "you call that a Zappa collection?" comment!

As do I! It's actually not the entire collection, just a few favorites. If I included the entire collection, I wouldn't have room to sit ... :-)

zombywoof
06-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Not only do you get the Desenex burger...

You are in for a real treat, Joe ...

Dave the Brave
06-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Just got this from facebook after reporting the offending image a few times over the last couple of days

We reviewed your report of I dont give a shit u pleb's photo.

Digital_Man
06-22-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm not on FB at the moment but saw it and to me it sounds like a lawsuit. Is this someone you actually know personally? This douchebag has no right to post a picture of you without your permission not to mention mock you. I hope this gets resolved asap and you are compensated somehow or at least a public apology. Good luck.

zombywoof
06-22-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm not on FB at the moment but saw it and to me it sounds like a lawsuit. Is this someone you actually know personally? This douchebag has no right to post a picture of you without your permission not to mention mock you. I hope this gets resolved asap and you are compensated somehow or at least a public apology. Good luck.

Nope, I have no idea who this is.

Digital_Man
06-25-2013, 01:09 AM
Nope, I have no idea who this is.

Well in some ways that makes it better and in some ways it makes it worse. It's so easy for people to hide behind their anonymity on the internet. But imo, this person is a coward.

While it is disturbring on many levels, as others have said on here there is more support on there for you on there than there is for the perpetrator. So in the end I would try not to lose any sleep over this.

zombywoof
06-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks, Digital Man.

Digital_Man
06-25-2013, 11:45 AM
NP. We got your back bro. ;)

Gruno
06-25-2013, 02:47 PM
I've reported unauthorized use of my photos many times on FaceBook. Each one they have reported and on one occasion, the person who was stealing my images was deleted from FaceBook altogether. True, they could resub with any other name, but it sure sent a message.

Sorry you are having to deal with this crap.

Digital_Man
06-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Things like this make me reluctant to want to go back onto FB.

VickiLynn
06-25-2013, 07:11 PM

You can always make sure your settings are set to "friends only."

ForeverAutumn
06-25-2013, 07:22 PM

The key for any internet site is to not post anything that you don't want made public. FB is not special. If you think that PE is any safer, you're wrong. I have taken many images from PE and posted them on FB. I posted a meme from the NHL thread on FB today. But I would never post somebody's personal photo.

Scott Bails
06-25-2013, 07:25 PM
The key for any internet site is to not post anything that you don't want made public. FB is not special. If you think that PE is any safer, you're wrong.

/thread

Digital_Man
06-25-2013, 10:52 PM
The key for any internet site is to not post anything that you don't want made public. FB is not special. If you think that PE is any safer, you're wrong. I have taken many images from PE and posted them on FB. I posted a meme from the NHL thread on FB today. But I would never post somebody's personal photo.

I disagree. There's only about what 2500 members on here? There's over 1 billion FB users. I agree with what Vicky said about settings though.

ronmac
06-26-2013, 09:05 AM
I disagree. There's only about what 2500 members on here? There's over 1 billion FB users. I agree with what Vicky said about settings though.

Who says a photo can't be picked up from this meager site with 2500 members and be posted on FB with it's 1 billion?

Scott Bails
06-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Exactly. Once you put something on the Internet, you can't get it back, and there's no way to prevent it from going "viral," or being spread to millions.

Yves
06-26-2013, 09:28 AM
To the OP... You may want to tone down the prog geekiness in future photos to avoid this sort of thing. People who hate everything especially hate people who love something. That something becomes the target for their hatred. A photo of you with a headset on , but without showing any musical affiliations would make a much less attractive target to a troll than one where you are blatantly flaunting your love of prog.

It's OK to love something without screaming it from the rooftops... :)

WHORG
06-26-2013, 09:53 AM
You know there's A LOT of people out there who have absolutely nothing to do with their lives, and have turned to the internet to entertain themselves. This can obviously be good or bad - - -

Knowing this - I've limited my exposure on-line to the best of my ability: professionally and anything else.

Make no enemies on the web - it's very easy to malign someone on-line these days: fictitiously or not . . . it's a perfect and anonymous conduit.

I love Facebook - and was literally there when Mark beta tested "Facemash" and it had less than 15 members. It's an excellent tool for its intended purpose . . .

Later . . . ~JK

ronmac
06-26-2013, 09:55 AM
It's an excellent tool for its intended purpose . . .

Yet, it's notoriously renowned for it's unintended purposes.

Don Arnold
06-26-2013, 12:15 PM
It's an excellent tool for its intended purpose . . .

Agreed, though I don't use my own fb account much - perhaps logging on once a week or so. However, my wifes loves it and uses it to stay connected with folks, particularly those "quasi" friends whom she's not likely to visit with in person more than once a year, but values the personal status updates which allow her to read the ups and downs of those friends' lives and contribute an occasional comment.

One other thought about the OP's dilemma. I suspect there is a proportionate relationship to the enjoyment the culprit has with photo to the reaction and ensuing comments. If that's the case here, then the best way to frustrate and thwart is, as others have suggested, to simply walk away and ignore it. Of course, I realize that's easy to say for me because it's not my photo. Oh and about that photo....it would so much much better with a smattering of symph prog lp's. :)

Facelift
06-26-2013, 12:44 PM
One other thought about the OP's dilemma. I suspect there is a proportionate relationship to the enjoyment the culprit has with photo to the reaction and ensuing comments. If that's the case here, then the best way to frustrate and thwart is, as others have suggested, to simply walk away and ignore it. Of course, I realize that's easy to say for me because it's not my photo. Oh and about that photo....it would so much much better with a smattering of symph prog lp's. :)

I agree. It very much sucks what happened, but beyond making requests of Facebook, there really isn't much to do here except move on and learn from the experience. Any photo that one puts on Facebook or any other public resource could potentially be used by someone else in a manner that you don't like and, in most cases, quite legally. I choose to deal with this by not using Facebook a whole lot and not posting photos of myself there.

WHORG
06-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Facebook photos (and comments) will eventually vanish into the digital abyss.

Sad fact is - lots of folks love to see others suffer miserably - - -

ronmac
06-26-2013, 01:14 PM
and, in most cases, quite legally.

Not necessarily true. The photographer has exclusive copyrights to the photo. Any use, outside of parodying, is a violation of the copyright. Now, that being said, I'm guessing that FB membership has some sort of waiver to those rights. However, that does not prevent the photographer from adding a copyright notice to the actual image.

Let's Eat
06-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Sorry this happened to you, Zomb. I'm a friend of yours on FB and always enjoy your posts, it's a shame that there are people out there who are so spiteful as to take a crap on someone else's fun. I looked at your link and did notice that many or most of the comments seemed to be in your defense, deriding the poster for being a dick like that. If that's any consolation.

My mother in law, who's 70, just had her identity "borrowed" by a someone who set up a new FB account in her name, using her photo and all her personal info and sent out friend requests to everyone on her list. Took a bit of work yesterday to help everyone understand it was a fake and to "unfriend" this person and report them. I imagine how crappy my MIL feels about this -- all this craziness and confusion over something with her name on it. Sucks.

zombywoof
06-26-2013, 04:32 PM
My mother in law, who's 70, just had her identity "borrowed" by a someone who set up a new FB account in her name, using her photo and all her personal info and sent out friend requests to everyone on her list. Took a bit of work yesterday to help everyone understand it was a fake and to "unfriend" this person and report them. I imagine how crappy my MIL feels about this -- all this craziness and confusion over something with her name on it. Sucks.

This is a serious problem on Facebook right now. In fact, someone is currently using Paul Sears' identity with Roger Trigaux's photo! Strange world.

I'd like to also add that I really appreciate everyone's support in this matter and though it hurt and confused me, I'm ready to accept it, learn from it, and put it behind me.

JKL2000
06-27-2013, 01:57 PM
A lot of the time I leave my FB account deactivated, and really just use it as a way to contact people occasionally. I really hate FB - I only like it as a way to save contact info for people.

Facelift
06-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Not necessarily true. The photographer has exclusive copyrights to the photo. Any use, outside of parodying, is a violation of the copyright. Now, that being said, I'm guessing that FB membership has some sort of waiver to those rights. However, that does not prevent the photographer from adding a copyright notice to the actual image.

Putting your photos on Facebook or any other social media resutls in the user's forfeit of all copyright in those photos. It's in the language of the Facebook agreement, and the agreement of every other social media site. The photos become the property of Facebook as soon as they're uploaded. That means they can even sell them for profit, if they like, and give the user nothing.

ronmac
06-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Putting your photos on Facebook or any other social media resutls in the user's forfeit of all copyright in those photos. It's in the language of the Facebook agreement, and the agreement of every other social media site. The photos become the property of Facebook as soon as they're uploaded. That means they can even sell them for profit, if they like, and give the user nothing.

Well, they might be able to claim ownership, but there's no way they can sell any photo of a person without a model release. That's assuming the face is identifiable.

Rune Blackwings
06-29-2013, 10:46 AM
i only use facebook because it is cheaper than buying computer games or a game system

ForeverAutumn
06-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Something that I just discoverd while updating my own FB page. You can set all your photos, including your profile picture, to friends only. However, it appears that your Cover photo (the big, long one on your profile page) can only be set to public. So don't use any photos that you want to try and keep private as your cover photo.

3LockBox
06-30-2013, 09:31 PM
I reported the pic and posted a supportive comment but really, this guy seems to be getting the derision he was trying to bring upon you.

Dave (in MA)
06-30-2013, 11:37 PM
I reported the pic and posted a supportive comment but really, this guy seems to be getting the derision he was trying to bring upon you.
+1