PDA

View Full Version : old board now dead

80s were ok
11-13-2012, 11:14 AM
so I joined the new one. Not sure what all the complaining was about...

Progmatic
11-13-2012, 11:21 AM

we just missed you ...that's all ;)

sonic
11-13-2012, 12:11 PM
So get with the times and change your name to 'New PE is OK'. ;)

Dave (in MA)
11-13-2012, 12:18 PM
It's not dead, it's just pining for the fjords.

willyswing
11-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Don't like the new site at all, but it's all I've got for now.

JAMOOL
11-13-2012, 12:42 PM
how is this not better than the old site?

NeonKnight
11-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Kind of surprised that all the threads over there were just wiped out, and not just frozen! Hopefully all of that info is archived somewhere. I guess you could use the wayback machine. (there really is one for the net BTW)

Dave (in MA)
11-13-2012, 01:08 PM
how is this not better than the old site?It's different. If it was better, it would be exactly the same, only better. WAAAAAAAAHH!!

aplodon
11-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Kind of surprised that all the threads over there were just wiped out, and not just frozen!

I was, also.
I had three pages of bookmarked threads, which I wanted to go through before PE2 quit.
I'm surprised there was no warning before it disappeared.

Sean
11-13-2012, 01:12 PM
They are not gone. Just not available for you to see. If you want one (or several) from the old site brought over here tell Duncan and he will make it so. This was a glitch, we didn't mean to pull the plug this quick, but now that it's done we might as well.

aplodon
11-13-2012, 01:13 PM
how is this not better than the old site?

how was the old site not better than this?

Scott Bails
11-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Too many ways to count.

aplodon
11-13-2012, 01:15 PM
They are not gone. Just not available for you to see. If you want one (or several) from the old site brought over here tell Duncan and he will make it so. This was a glitch, we didn't mean to pull the plug this quick, but now that it's done we might as well.

You seriously mean he will bring my three pages of bookmarked threads over here?

Dave the Brave
11-13-2012, 01:17 PM
This was a glitch, we didn't mean to pull the plug this quick, but now that it's done we might as well.

I think that was Jack Kevorkian's excuse.

I was shocked when I went there but at least I won't have to surf back and forth.

D t B

Sean
11-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Not all, no, just the ones you really think need to keep living. If you missed out on reading three pages of threads I am truly sorry.

Staun
11-13-2012, 01:20 PM
I like the new board. The knob goes to eleven instead of ten:cool

Don Arnold
11-13-2012, 01:21 PM
I was, also.
I had three pages of bookmarked threads, which I wanted to go through before PE2 quit.

I had some bookmarked threads as well, some that I had not read a post in, but "subscribed to" ;) over there because the thread title heralded some interesting or informative reading inside. But if they are gone, then I can simply look at it that I'll have more time to reading threads over here.

aplodon
11-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Not all, no, just the ones you really think need to keep living.

Well, if I could remember ...

If you missed out on reading three pages of threads I am truly sorry.

I guess I read half of them, and some posts in others. But I used to go back and check them before they were going lost, to see if there was any info I wanted to save or some suggestions for CDs I wanted to buy.

mkeneally
11-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Aplodon - as of this moment the PE2 mobile app is still working, with what looks to be all the old threads still available, in case that's of any use to you.

JKL2000
11-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Can you bring over my thread on reglazing a bathtub?

Sean
11-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Uh, it's already here.

PindralProgger
11-13-2012, 02:04 PM
I didn't get to collect my famly photos, computer harddrives and emergency survival kit!

Good thing I had interweb crash insurance.

Duncan Glenday
11-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Kind of surprised that all the threads over there were just wiped out, and not just frozen! Hopefully all of that info is archived somewhere. I guess you could use the wayback machine. (there really is one for the net BTW)

I was, also.
I'm surprised there was no warning before it disappeared.

Regardless of conspiracy theories - this was a genuine BUG in PEv2. We could take many hours to fix it ... for the few days it would still be alive ... or just accelerate the move over here.

We'd planned to accelerate the move to PEv3 this week anyway, but we had a more ordered migration in mind.

You seriously mean he will bring my three pages of bookmarked threads over here?

Not quite.

There are a few long-standing threads (e.g. the legend of Wally, and the Nektar thread) which we don't want to lose.

We will extract all of those posts into a single (very long) HTML document, and make them available here.

Aplodon - as of this moment the PE2 mobile app is still working, with what looks to be all the old threads still available, in case that's of any use to you.

As Mike said: Go here:
http://www.progressiveears.com/Mobile/forums/topics.asp

This is the PEv2 mobile application called "PE-Mobile". It's been around for 3 or 4 years ... and it still works. You will still be able to view and post to all of your old threads.

We will block new threads and PMs in a week or so, but old threads and PMs will run for a while.

In addition to that - you can still get the following on PEv2:

PMs
Reviews
Chat room
Interviews
Articles
Photos
Search

aplodon
11-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Great, thanks!

rcarlberg
11-13-2012, 03:14 PM
We'd planned to accelerate the move to PEv3 this week anyway, but we had a more ordered migration in mind.It's like pulling a tooth. It only hurts for a moment -- but putting it off only makes it worse.

Wisdomview
11-13-2012, 03:17 PM
RIP

Progbear
11-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Wow, people actually prefer the crappy old, stuck-in-1995 messageboard with all its glitching and slow loading and whatnot? For Godís sake why? :huh

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:ďGate Out of CalateaĒ-Flame Dream/Calatea

Amy
11-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Wow, people actually prefer the crappy old, stuck-in-1995 messageboard with all its glitching and slow loading and whatnot? For Godís sake why? :huh

Talk to some Yes fans about this. ;)

ronmac
11-13-2012, 04:43 PM
the Nektar thread

thank you.

JAMOOL
11-13-2012, 05:09 PM

it glitches out, doesn't support multiple tabs, features 90's style design, is hard to search on, etc

gregory
11-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Old board now dead, the winter's on and I'm feeling sad.

Jerjo
11-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Are we going to save the "prog memes" thread as well?

Duncan Glenday
11-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Are we going to save the "prog memes" thread as well?

Yes - that's already been requested.

moecurlythanu
11-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Wow, people actually prefer the crappy old, stuck-in-1995 messageboard with all its glitching and slow loading and whatnot? For God’s sake why? :huh

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

I don't get it either. PE3 is vastly superior to PE2.

It's too soon to be nostalgia. ;)

nycsteve
11-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Lost all the PMs too?

Yaxley
11-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Much appreciation due to the great guys who keep this thing alive! let's rock! (in 7/8)

Don Arnold
11-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Lost all the PMs too?

Nope. They are still there nycsteve. See Duncan's post #23 in this thread.

trurl
11-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Better shoot it in the head, just in case.

Scott Bails
11-13-2012, 11:08 PM
trurl - is that the Tormato cover in LEGO? :O

trurl
11-13-2012, 11:17 PM
trurl - is that the Tormato cover in LEGO? :OYep! I can't remember where I found that... :D

Scott Bails
11-13-2012, 11:18 PM
That is beyond cool! :up

rcarlberg
11-13-2012, 11:51 PM
PE3 is vastly superior to PE2. PE2 was warmer.

NogbadTheBad
11-14-2012, 12:24 AM
PE2 was warmer.

And fuzzier

Hunnibee
11-14-2012, 01:47 AM
RIP PE2

(takes out her kazoo and plays Taps)

Mr Class & Quality?
11-14-2012, 02:44 AM
I'm pleased it's gone as I know longer have to suffer through Jeff Carney's neverending complaints of Steven Wilson's classic album remixes. ;)

Hunnibee
11-14-2012, 03:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh8mNjeuyV4

spacefreak
11-14-2012, 03:16 AM
Wow, people actually prefer the crappy old, stuck-in-1995 messageboard with all its glitching and slow loading and whatnot? For God’s sake why? :huh

Power of the routine!

progeezer
11-14-2012, 03:28 AM
Zounds! I've outlived the old board, but often I'm still old and bored:p.

aplodon
11-14-2012, 03:44 AM

1. It was easier to navigate (Just one click on the left side could take you almost anywhere on the site. It was always available, without scrolling or extra clicking.)

2. Because the bookmarking of threads were much easier (only required on click and could be done without opening the thread) and you could see on the main page which threads you had bookmarked.

In short: better overview, less clicking, easier to use

Didn't have much problems with slow loading. And if the loading was slower, that time I will now spend on all the clicking on this site.

Sorry Duncan and others, I don't want to complain, I know you are doing what is necessary. I just can't see why so many people are praising this site so much (guess it's politically correct). This is a standard discussion board, which misses some of the great features that the PE pioneers spent a lot of time and effort on building into PE2. Hail to them! It's time to move on, but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate the past, does it?

The one advantage I've found so far in PE3 is the "go to first unread post" function, which is great.

sonic
11-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Ay, caramba! It's working again!

Progbear
11-15-2012, 12:33 AM
2. Because the bookmarking of threads were much easier (only required on click and could be done without opening the thread) and you could see on the main page which threads you had bookmarked.

Well, I never used the bookmarking threads function anyway, so that’s kind of a non-issue for me. I mean, except when I clicked on “Bookmark Thread” by accident, which was just an annoyance. So then, another reason the new board is better. :p

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Il dono della vita”-Latte e Miele/Passio Secundum Mattheum

JAMOOL
11-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Though I think the numbers on the board index are off - 1911 viewing the main forum? Really?

Camelogue
01-02-2013, 09:37 PM
New board seems less active?

NogbadTheBad
01-02-2013, 09:39 PM
The King is Dead, Long Live the King.

walt
01-03-2013, 06:14 AM
I've been a bit surprised at how many folks truly don't like PE3.I figured a new format might take people a while to adapt to,but the nay-sayers are more numerous than i would have thought.

Viva PE!

Jerjo
01-03-2013, 02:18 PM
I think this board is just as active as the old one. I wonder if Nestor is now trapped electronically in a cache of the old board, ranting and howling as he stalks the halls?

Duncan Glenday
01-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Bear in mind that activity always falls off over the holiday season. And a lot of people are still in "vacation mode" during this short week.

I expect things to pick up next week.

That said - see here (http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/1456-A-Few-Facts-amp-Figures-About-The-new-PEv3) for some stats about the new board.

By and large, the stats are slightly short of those on the old board, but it's catching up quickly.

Garion81
01-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Bear in mind that activity always falls off over the holiday season. And a lot of people are still in "vacation mode" during this short week.

I expect things to pick up next week.

That said - see here (http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/1456-A-Few-Facts-amp-Figures-About-The-new-PEv3) for some stats about the new board.

By and large, the stats are slightly short of those on the old board, but it's catching up quickly.

Vacation? What is that? I had three days off in December and includes weekends and 3 scheduled vacation days plus 4 holidays. That is where my posts have gone.