PDA

View Full Version : FEATURED CD: Jon Anderson - Change We Must

Poisoned Youth
11-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Jon Anderson - Change We Must

http://pixhost.me/avaxhome/06/f1/0014f106_medium.jpeg

Review from Progarchives (Easy Livin'):

"Change we must" as the man says, and to a certain extent he does. This album may not be earth shatteringly different (or indeed progressive!), but it does represent something of a shift in Anderson's focus. The most notable aspect of that change is the dominant use of the London Chamber Orchestra throughout the album.

In some ways, "Change we must" is a predecessor for the YesSymphonic tour and their "Magnification" album, with conventional rock instruments only being used on a handful of tracks here. The tracks are a mixture of Anderson solo compositions, and songs he wrote with Vangelis. Also included is one Yes song, Hearts, originally from the 90125 album.

The orchestrations throughout are absolutely superb, making for a refreshingly unique atmosphere and sound. The version here of "State of Independence" may well be the definitive recording of that song, capturing the full majesty of the piece. The album's highlight though is the stunning "Chagrall duet" where Anderson does indeed duet with Sandrine Piau. The fine melody of Anderson's composition is wonderfully brought out through the pureness of Piau's voice.

There are inevitably some of Jon's more sentimental songs, such as the Jon and Vangelis composed "Candle song". Even these though benefit from sympathetic arrangements and some of Anderson's finest vocal work ever.

A couple of tracks, "Run on, Jon" and "A view from the coppice" feature the piano playing of Gwendolyn Mok in place of Anderson's vocals. The spirited orchestration which accompanies them is reminiscent of some of Stackridge's work (especially God speed the plough).

The final highlight is "Hurry home", a piece which builds from a soft start to a grand crescendo of Anderson plus choir. On "Under the sun", we find some impressive multi-part harmonies while the title track, which closes the album, sees the choir return for a sentimental but delightfully reflective piece. The climax of the track has some excellent lead guitar by Milton McDonald.

The theme of the album is based on a book called "Change we must" written by Hawaiian spiritual teacher Nana Veary. The author took her inspiration from the music of nature, something Anderson perhaps brings out in his music here, if not lyrically.

"Change we must" may not have the progressive depth of "Olias of Sunhillow", but it is surely his finest work since that stunning debut. Recommended.

http://youtu.be/fFGQ-UCbF5I

http://youtu.be/Gsmm2MZl1Mc

CaffieneMan
11-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Anything by Jon Anderson is good! I do favor his more progressive stuff like Olias, but this is pretty cool!

Scott Bails
11-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Easy Livin' said:

The orchestrations throughout are absolutely superb, making for a refreshingly unique atmosphere and sound.

Absolutely agree. Love the arrangements and orchestrations on this one.

Easy Livin' said:

The album's highlight though is the stunning "Chagrall duet" where Anderson does indeed duet with Sandrine Piau. The fine melody of Anderson's composition is wonderfully brought out through the pureness of Piau's voice.

There are inevitably some of Jon's more sentimental songs, such as the Jon and Vangelis composed "Candle song". Even these though benefit from sympathetic arrangements and some of Anderson's finest vocal work ever.

Again, total agreement. Anderson's and Piau's voices really blend well.

I wouldn't really call this progressive at all, but as we've often said, what does that matter? Probably my fave of Anderson's, after Olias.

East New York
11-13-2012, 07:58 PM
I love that version of "State of Independence"---it's on my workout playlist, right next to "Los Jigos". :D

Progatron
11-13-2012, 09:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGVQ-OAL8zE

Sunlight Caller
11-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Anything by Jon Anderson is good! I do favor his more progressive stuff like Olias, but this is pretty cool!

Much as I love Jon's work over the years, there are some albums that are absolutely terrible, when his quality control slipped completely. This isn't in that category of course, but it is one tat has never found a way into my heart, however I'm off to give it a fresh spin after reading this thread, it must be over a decade since I last heard this!

Farpoint Kevin
11-14-2012, 08:03 AM
I really enjoy this one. Probably one of my favorites of his solo albums. Certainly much better, in my opinion, than The More You Know,The Promise Ring, and EarthMotherEarth.

gregory
11-14-2012, 08:24 AM
After minute or two of sophomore new age - no, we mustn't.

ScottAM
11-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Without a doubt this is the most accessible and classy release from Jon. Gorgeous arrangements and a really nice choice of songs. Along with Magnification and Time & A Word, I wish they'd have utilized an orchestra more often -- done to great effect!

Kcrimso
11-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Very good album. Great production and classy arrangements. Jon's best album after Olias Of Sunhillow.

happytheman
11-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Very good album. Great production and classy arrangements. Jon's best album after Olias Of Sunhillow.
Agree! Wonderful album, just when I thought Jon was lost in the midst of ... he returned with this wonderful selection of songs.
I'd say he did a much better job working with orchestra than the band did with Magnification.

Rufus
11-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Agree! Wonderful album, just when I thought Jon was lost in the midst of ... he returned with this wonderful selection of songs.
I'd say he did a much better job working with orchestra than the band did with Magnification.

Went to HMV in Birmingham when Jon did a signing session for this album. Saw John Jowett of IQ, Arena, Frost et al also in the queue.

Not my favourite album & way behind Song of Seven & Olympia. It's not bad though but dosn't get any plays these days.

Paulrus
11-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Not my favourite album & way behind Song of Seven & Olympia. It's not bad though but dosn't get any plays these days.
Sort of my read, though I'd say it's probably the best of Jon's 90s solo output, even though it sort of feels like a tribute album to himself.

Oh, and it's Animation, not Olympia (that's one of the songs on that album.)

happytheman
11-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Sort of my read, though I'd say it's probably the best of Jon's 90s solo output, even though it sort of feels like a tribute album to himself.

Oh, and it's Animation, not Olympia (that's one of the songs on that album.)
Animation has one really good cut (IMHO) that being the title cut, Song of Seven (ducking) has some great stuff on it. And of course Olias.... speaks for itself. But would agree this is by far his best from the 90's.

onward
11-16-2012, 08:34 PM
I love the orchestration. The song "Change We Must" mellows me out and it is great for self reflection (for me at least). I love the Chagrall duet. I'd put it up there with some of his best work.

arturs
11-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I need to give this one a spin. I have neglected it for a decade or so. Back in the 90s it was in my cd player a lot!

Farpoint Kevin
11-17-2012, 11:09 AM

Interesting...and after thinking about it for a moment, I believe I agree with you.

jot
11-17-2012, 11:29 AM
Love it and listened to it recently. Pure magic

Progatron
11-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Jon's highest-rated album on Progarchives.

I still think "Open" is the best thing he's done since Olias, and I'm really hoping that sequel comes to fruition. I've listened to it many, many times.

Mikhael
11-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Not my favourite of his, not at all. Not bad, but it doesn't seem to get to the space it needs to.

Tangram
12-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Song of Seven (ducking) has some great stuff on it.

I'm with you on Song of Seven. This and City of Angels are the two JA that I will give a spin these days. Never a fan of Olias, but I can't remember this last time I tried. I'll have to give it another go.

Brian Griffin
12-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Fantastic disc

BG

Digital_Man
12-14-2012, 11:42 PM
I heard it once a long time ago. I remember liking it. Not sure why he does remakes of some of his older songs like "hurry home" but still good.

marinaorgan
12-15-2012, 05:37 PM
Is there anyone else here who can't help hearing the voice of Yoda when they read that title?

Digital_Man
12-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Nah, that would be change must we. :)

80s were ok
12-17-2012, 01:15 AM
easily one of Jons top solo albums. The orchestrations are well done and unlike some of the "Symphonic music of...." albums (including the Yes one), they aren't done just for the sake of orchestrating. There is nothing forced about it. And the song "Change We Must" is probably one of jons best songs of all time.

ItalProgRules
12-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Yoda approves of the album's title.