PDA

View Full Version : 101 Best Written TV Shows (Per Writers Guild of America Voting)

mnprogger
06-05-2013, 12:27 AM
http://www.slashfilm.com/writers-guild-of-america-lists-the-101-best-written-tv-shows-of-all-time/

Some may find this list mildly interesting, even as much of it seems lol worthy.

1. The Sopranos
2. Seinfeld
3. The Twilight Zone
4. All in the Family
5. M*A*S*H
6. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
7. Mad Men
8. Cheers
9. The Wire
10. The West Wing
11. The Simpsons
12. I Love Lucy
13. Breaking Bad
14. The Dick Van Dyke Show
15. Hill Street Blues
16. Arrested Development
17. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
18. Six Feet Under
19. Taxi
20. The Larry Sanders Show
21. 30 Rock
22. Friday Night Lights
23. Frasier
24. Friends
25. Saturday Night Live
26. The X-Files
27. Lost
28. ER
29. The Cosby Show
30. Curb Your Enthusiasm
31. The Honeymooners
32. Deadwood
33. Star Trek
34. Modern Family
35. Twin Peaks
36. NYPD Blue
37. The Carol Burnett Show
38. Battlestar Galactica (2005)
39. Sex & The City
40. Game of Thrones
41. The Bob Newhart Show and Your Show of Shows (tie)
43. Downton Abbey, Law & Order and Thirtysomething (tie)
46. Homicide: Life on the Street and St. Elsewhere (tie)
48. Homeland
49. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
50. The Colbert Report, The Good Wife and the UK Office (tie)
53. Northern Exposure
54. The Wonder Years
55. L.A. Law
56. Sesame Street
57. Columbo
58. Fawlty Towers and The Rockford Files (tie)
60. Freaks and Geeks and Moonlighting (tie)
62. Roots
63. Everybody Loves Raymond and South Park (tie)
65. Playhouse 90
66. Dexter and the US Office (tie)
68. My So-Called Life
69. Golden Girls
70. The Andy Griffith Show
71. 24, Roseanne and The Shield
74. House and Murphy Brown (tie)
76. Barney Miller and I, Claudius (tie)
78. The Odd Couple
79. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Monty Python’s Flying Circus, Star Trek: The Next Generation and Upstairs, Downstairs (tie)
83. Get Smart
84. The Defenders and Gunsmoke (tie)
86. Justified, Sgt. Bilko/The Phil Silvers Show (tie)
88. Band of Brothers
89. Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In
90. The Prisoner
91. Absolutely Fabulous and The Muppet Show (tie)
93. Boardwalk Empire
94. Will & Grace
95. Family Ties
96. Lonesome Dove and Soap
98. The Fugitive, Late Night with David Letterman and Louie
101. Oz

Supersonic Scientist
06-05-2013, 03:46 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/writers-guild-of-america-lists-the-101-best-written-tv-shows-of-all-time/

I really dug these shows...

2. Seinfeld
3. The Twilight Zone
4. All in the Family
5. M*A*S*H
12. I Love Lucy
14. The Dick Van Dyke Show
16. Arrested Development
21. 30 Rock
23. Frasier
28. ER
30. Curb Your Enthusiasm
31. The Honeymooners
36. NYPD Blue
46. Homicide: Life on the Street
56. Sesame Street
58. Fawlty Towers
63. South Park
70. The Andy Griffith Show
71. The Shield
74. House
78. The Odd Couple
79. Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Monty Python’s Flying Circus,
83. Get Smart
84. Gunsmoke (tie)
86. Sgt. Bilko/The Phil Silvers Show
89. Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In
101. Oz

...Moonlighting. I HATED that show back-in-the-day. I was living with my, at-the-time girl friend, and she LOVED it. She'd get pissed if I didn't sit there with her and watch this pathetic POS.

Jerjo
06-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Lots of controversy in that list, especially the Sopranos over The Wire. But these things are meant to generate controversy and web clicks so it's a job well done. Justified tied with Sgt Bilko? In what fucking parallel universe was that decision made in?

Jay G
06-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Some of my all time favorites made the list. I will have to think for which ones did not make it.

1. The Sopranos
2. Seinfeld
4. All in the Family
5. M*A*S*H
19. Taxi
21. 30 Rock
30. Curb Your Enthusiasm
31. The Honeymooners
34. Modern Family
St. Elsewhere (tie)
The Rockford Files (tie)
63. Everybody Loves Raymond
US Office (tie)
76. Barney Miller
78. The Odd Couple
Soap
98. Louie

SteveSly
06-06-2013, 02:23 AM
I think it is a pretty good list. Although I loved the Sopranos I am not sure that I would put it ahead of The Wire. Seinfeld was certainly one of the best written comedy shows in history. Twilight Zone still stands up well today. Not sure that I would have MASH that high. Back when it was on I thought it was great, but it has not aged that well IMO. When I see re-runs today it seems rather hokey. I might put Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Game Of Thrones and especially Boardwalk Empire a bit higher than they are. Lost should probably be higher too. I think the final season probably lost the show some points.

Steve Sly

3LockBox
06-06-2013, 08:09 AM
The Dick Van Dyke show is too high on the list IMO. It was a great show for its day, but could be insufferably self-indulgent at times. I'd rate Roseanne higher, but it too suffered from self-indulgence, especially by season 4.

walt
06-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Law & Order only rates a tie for 43rd place?.....

Feh.

3LockBox
06-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Columbo is rated way too low.

3LockBox
06-06-2013, 08:54 AM
Sports Night should be on that list. So should Thirty Something.

nosebone
06-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Where's the Paul Lynde show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjHiVKzDqEA

Facelift
06-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Twilight Zone is the only show in the top 20 that I'd dispute. Not that it wasn't often excellent, but some of the writing seems melodramatic and cheesey today, and this list was specifically about the writing. I'd keep it as a top 20 show overall, though.

Jerjo
06-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Rod Sterling himself said you could break down Twilight Zone episodes into thirds: a third were great and groundbreaking, a third were OK, and the last third were pretty much shit.

Paulie
06-06-2013, 12:29 PM
...should be on that list. So should Thirty Something.It's tied with Law & Order and Downton Abbey at 43.

Gruno
06-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Love these shows:

1. The Sopranos
3. The Twilight Zone
8. Cheers
11. The Simpsons
12. I Love Lucy
19. Taxi
27. Lost
29. The Cosby Show
33. Star Trek
34. Modern Family
60. Freaks and Geeks
68. My So-Called Life
76. Barney Miller
83. Get Smart
95. Family Ties
98. Late Night with David Letterman

Never liked:

2. Seinfeld
5. M*A*S*H
20. The Larry Sanders Show
21. 30 Rock
23. Frasier
24. Friends
63. Everybody Loves Raymond
79. Monty Python’s Flying Circus
79. Star Trek: The Next Generation

Never Have Watched:

7. Mad Men
9. The Wire
10. The West Wing
13. Breaking Bad
18. Six Feet Under
40. Game of Thrones

Paulie
06-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Never Have Watched:

7. Mad Men
9. The Wire
10. The West Wing
13. Breaking Bad
18. Six Feet Under
40. Game of Thrones5 out of 6 of these programs are in my top 10 of all time. :lol Never saw the West Wing.

No Pride
06-06-2013, 03:17 PM
24. Friends

Do any heterosexual males actually like that show? I know some of the cast members are eye candy, but... really?! I've had a few girlfriends that loved it and forced me to watch it a few times; I hardly smiled, let alone laughed. It must be the "fairer sex's" answer to The Three Stooges; something that's clearly for one sex to appreciate and the other to despise. Or is it just me?

hippypants
06-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Friends--yeah, I think the demographic there leans more towards females, it's cute, which I don't care for cute either or sitcoms for that matter. I don't like Big Bang and other such fare either though.

I used to watch All In The Family & Mash and a few of the others ones, but now when I try to watch them on some of the retro network channels, I don't have the patience for them, generally speaking. The humor seems dated to me, whereas I can watch something like: The Fugitive, Adam-12, Peter Gunn, or something like a drama, and enjoy it on some level. I guess I'm just not into comedies or the constant laugh track annoyance.

I'd move All In The Family and MASH down a few pegs (far below 25 actually) and move up The Andy Griffith Show, which I can still watch, and maybe some drama or something like Star Trek TOS.

hippypants
06-06-2013, 03:36 PM
No votes for:

The Outer Limits
Werewolf 80's series
Battlestar Galactica original series
The Tales of Well Fargo
Have Gun Will Travel
Adam-12
Six Million Dollar Man
The Invaders
Dr. Who

No Pride
06-06-2013, 03:48 PM
I guess I'm just not into comedies or the constant laugh track annoyance.
One of the only modern sitcoms I like is "30 Rock" and the absence of a laugh track is definitely a part of the appeal. At least with shows like All in the Family and The Honeymooners, the laughs were from a real live audience.

Never Have Watched:

7. Mad Men
9. The Wire
10. The West Wing
13. Breaking Bad
18. Six Feet Under
40. Game of Thrones
Haven't watched any of those except "Breaking Bad" ... and it's awesome! Great acting with an unpredictable and sometimes shocking story line. If you have Netflix streaming and can manage the time, catch up; the final season is coming this summer... finally!

Gruno
06-06-2013, 04:07 PM
If you have Netflix streaming and can manage the time, catch up; the final season is coming this summer... finally!

Finding time for well-written shows these days is my problem. I have so many "reality" shows each week that take up most of my TV viewing. :O

Banquo
06-06-2013, 04:26 PM
...Moonlighting. I HATED that show back-in-the-day. I was living with my, at-the-time girl friend, and she LOVED it. She'd get pissed if I didn't sit there with her and watch this pathetic POS.

I've had a few girlfriends that loved it and forced me to watch it a few times;

My wife once asked me if I wanted to watch Sex & The City and I told her to turn that shit off or I would be happy to load the TV in the back of her car along with her bags. That was the end of that.

trurl
06-06-2013, 04:35 PM
The Prisoner should be higher. There are a slew of Britcoms that should be on there- Fawlty Towers for gawds sake... but a decent list.

Edit- wait, so it is...

markwoll
06-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Have never really liked serial soaps, so a bunch of the cable stuff is out.
+1 on The Prisoner , serial awesome psychedelia .
No Pee Wee's Playhouse, no Community, Parks and Rec.
A whole lot of shows I never watched.
I have always been a follower of the mainstream sitcoms of old. Not so much the newer crop
Many of the ties are real head scratchers, 3 or 4 great shows tie for 79th?
As noted before, lists like this are designed to promote discussion around the real or virtual watercooler.

mark

Progbear
06-08-2013, 10:23 PM
I can get “greatest” out of some of these, but “Best written”? I Love Lucy? It’s still kind of cute but I wouldn’t call it especially well-written. The Odd Couple? MeTV is currently re-running it so I’ve got it fresh in my head and let me tell you, it has not aged well! It starts off fine but quickly spirals downward into a morass of gratuitous celebrity cameos and Tony Randall acting like the most cartoonishly annoying man on Earth. But then, we’re judging The Simpsons on its phenomenal first five years, not its recent episodes nor—Saints preserve us—seasons 8-13, right?

Some of these deserve to be way higher, e.g.: The Bob Newhart Show. I am shocked at how well that show has held up.

The Sopranos has always struck me as one of those insufferable critic-wank shows. Of course, I’m sort of predisposed to dislike mob dramas in the first place.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"'Thin Thighs For Your Man.' But I don't *like* men with thin thighs" --Daria

N.P.:nothing

SteveSly
06-09-2013, 01:37 AM
5 out of 6 of these programs are in my top 10 of all time. :lol Never saw the West Wing.

I was going to say the same thing. Drama of the highest order right there. Never saw the west wing either, but the others are all outstanding. They might be even better to watch on DVD since they are all like really long movies.

Steve

arabicadabra
06-09-2013, 03:08 AM
The Simpsons should be higher. House should be a LOT higher. And where's Sherlock?

Shadow
06-09-2013, 07:07 AM
No Leave It To Beaver, you got to be kidding me.

walt
06-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Where's My Mother The Car,Camp Runamuck,I'm Dickens, He's Fenster......ya know...the classics!.X)

Rune Blackwings
06-09-2013, 09:18 AM
how the fuck did Will & Grace and Roseanne make that list? Will & Grace was a Lucille Ball impersonator set in the midst of every gay stereotype imaginable and Roseanne was a piss poor take on Married....With Children

The credibility on this list is noted by having Barney Miller, Columbo, Get Smart, the Rockford Files, Monty Python and Bob Newhart Show all lower than Friends. Is there even a worse show than Friends? I could not find a single likable or realistic character on that show. And where the hell is The Addams Family??? That show had one of the most fuctional, loving familes on TV ever!

hippypants
06-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Friends (here)
That 70's Show (here--worse than Friends)
I don't care for The Big Bang either.

Banquo
06-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Roseanne was a piss poor take on Married....With Children

Nah. Rosanne took on serious subject matter, while MWC was just mindless drivel playing to the lowest common denominator. The only thing they shared was that both featured lower middle class families.

Just Eric
06-09-2013, 11:31 AM
I say skip The West Wing and go straight to House of Cards on Netflix.

trurl
06-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Friends was an ok show, but it had way more to do with the cast than the writing. It's one thing to write "Ew" in a script and another to have someone say it so it's sort of funny.

Klonk
06-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Nah. Rosanne took on serious subject matter, while MWC was just mindless drivel playing to the lowest common denominator. The only thing they shared was that both featured lower middle class families.

Loved Married With Children and most mindless drivel for that matter. Man, if only to be part of your elusive highest common denominator...picking apart and over-analyzing everything, huffing and puffing over any possible plot hole, looking down at those who laugh at fart jokes...boy that sounds fun! Instead I'm just here pretty much laughing my ass off at anything. Bummer...

Banquo
06-09-2013, 01:23 PM
Loved Married With Children and most mindless drivel for that matter.

Then by all means have another one of those skunky swills and enjoy your stupid yukfests. No one's stopping you. ;)

http://www.schaeferbeer.com/book2.jpg

mogrooves
06-09-2013, 02:20 PM
No "Buffalo Bill", "Police Squad", or "Get A Life"?!

Glad to see "Get Smart", though.....

Progbear
06-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Friends was an ok show, but it had way more to do with the cast than the writing. It's one thing to write "Ew" in a script and another to have someone say it so it's sort of funny.

I think the only real talented comic actor in that show’s main cast was Lisa Kudrow, and she was mostly wasted on the mediocre material.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"The world of the heterosexual is a sick and boring life." --Edith Massey

N.P.:“I Feel Glad”-Message/Astral Journeys

Zeuhlmate
06-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Blackadder

trurl
06-09-2013, 03:47 PM
I think the only real talented comic actor in that show’s main cast was Lisa Kudrow, and she was mostly wasted on the mediocre material.

I think that's basically true, but there was a cast chemistry, ala Trek: TOS where the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

SteveSly
06-09-2013, 04:12 PM
how the fuck did Will & Grace and Roseanne make that list? Will & Grace was a Lucille Ball impersonator set in the midst of every gay stereotype imaginable and Roseanne was a piss poor take on Married....With Children

The credibility on this list is noted by having Barney Miller, Columbo, Get Smart, the Rockford Files, Monty Python and Bob Newhart Show all lower than Friends. Is there even a worse show than Friends? I could not find a single likable or realistic character on that show. And where the hell is The Addams Family??? That show had one of the most fuctional, loving familes on TV ever!

Hated Will and Grace, but Rosanne was a very cleverly written show for the most part. When it first came on there was nothing like it really. It took a look at a working class family and real issues that they dealt with. I am not personally a huge Rosanne Barr fan, but the show was very innovative for it’s time. I also liked Married With Children, but would not say that it belonged on this list.

Agree with everyone else about Friends. One of the most overrated shows in TV history IMO.

Steve Sly

SteveSly
06-09-2013, 04:15 PM

I don’t really think Kudrow was all that great. Right from the start she was basically doing a Terry Garr imitation. Looking back at Garr in movies like “Young Frankenstein”……..basically it was the same shtick that Kudrow was copying IMO. In later seasons they even brought Garr in as Kudrow’s mother on the show.

Steve Sly

Klonk
06-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Then by all means have another one of those skunky swills and enjoy your stupid yukfests.

Oh I will and I'll enjoy every second of it! :up

One show that didn't last very long that I thought was very well written was Life. It starred that redheaded dude from Homeland who played a cop released from prison for a murder he didn't commit. Each episode had the ongoing plot of him trying to find the real murderers along with new cases as the show went on. It was really good.

nosebone
06-09-2013, 04:44 PM
I think everyone on this board is too old to appreciate the genious that is Friends.

notallwhowander
06-09-2013, 05:24 PM
The whole thing strikes me as a bit self-congratulatory, considering how many of the recent projects from guild members feature at the top of the list.

Blackadder

I agree 100% - arguably the funniest show I've ever seen. That the Flying Circus and Fawlty Towers get a nod, but this one is left off? They all should be mentioned in the same breath, IMO. Also missing: Father Ted!

I say skip The West Wing and go straight to House of Cards on Netflix. Or try Sports Night to get the same high-powered Sorkin writing, but a with a shorter time commitment and more laughs.

It's nice to see Due South get a nod. I loved that show.

Further worthy Canadiania: Twitch City and Slings and Arrows, both brilliant shows.

philsunset
06-09-2013, 07:38 PM

I have to agree with Buffalo Bill.

Or the forgotten Dabney Coleman follow-up, The "Slap" Maxwell Story. A great show which lasted just 22 episodes.

neuroticdog
06-09-2013, 07:52 PM
I say skip The West Wing and go straight to House of Cards on Netflix.

Not even close. Don't get me wrong, House of Cards was really good, predictable...but really good,thanks to Kevin Spacey. (Although, his breaking the Fourth Wall schtick got old.)

The writing on West Wing is brilliant, as is ALL the ensemble cast...at least it made it into the top ten.

best
Michael

Just Eric
06-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Oh I will and I'll enjoy every second of it! :up

One show that didn't last very long that I thought was very well written was Life. It starred that redheaded dude from Homeland who played a cop released from prison for a murder he didn't commit. Each episode had the ongoing plot of him trying to find the real murderers along with new cases as the show went on. It was really good.I was so upset when Life was cancelled! Glad he landed on Homeland, a show that should be higher on the list.

Not even close. Don't get me wrong, House of Cards was really good, predictable...but really good,thanks to Kevin Spacey. (Although, his breaking the Fourth Wall schtick got old.)

The writing on West Wing is brilliant, as is ALL the ensemble cast...at least it made it into the top ten.

bestI can appreciate that. However, West Wing just didn't resonate with me while House of Cards has. I enjoy the breaking the 4th wall aspect, it makes the show almost like a book.

I think everyone on this board is too old to appreciate the genious that is Friends.

I liked Friends and don't apologize for it. Great ensemble, good gags and fantastic timing. So the writing was average, 2 out of 3 ain't bad for TV these days.
Michael

SteveSly
06-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Glad to see "Get Smart", though.....

Love "Police Squad", but it only lasted one season if I remember right. Not enough to make the list IMO. Not familiar with the other two shows you mention.

Steve Sly

JKL2000
06-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah, Laugh-In was just a LITTLE bit better than The Prisoner. Idiots!

Brian Griffin
06-10-2013, 01:53 PM

This ain't no spelling bee, but wow

BG

tdotdo
06-11-2013, 10:05 PM
There were only 6 episodes of Police Squad made.

Anybody here ever watch SCTV? Hilarious, great writing and a lot of people who were almost famous or became famous.

notallwhowander
06-12-2013, 12:10 AM
SCTV is classic. Not all of it holds up, but plenty does.

For instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSWLqlrt_2U

Joe F.
06-12-2013, 07:57 AM
Anybody here ever watch SCTV?

I used to watch SCTV when it was originally broadcast in the US. It used to be on right after SNL where I grew up. Johnny LaRue!

trurl
06-12-2013, 08:02 AM
I used to watch SCTV when it was originally broadcast in the US. It used to be on right after SNL where I grew up. Johnny LaRue!

Same here... I agree that it hasn't all held up, but when they were on their game it was a brilliant show.

walt
06-12-2013, 08:18 AM
I think Night Court(particularly starting in season 4 when Roz took over as bailiff) had quite a few boffo yucks and some well paced and well written episodes.It was one of the few series I tried not to miss.

Yves
06-12-2013, 09:03 AM
How does South Park not make the list? The ONLY animated show to come anywhere near The Simpsons in its heyday, and today far surpassing it imo...

Oh well, I'm sure we could all come up with our own personal lists and they'd be nothing more than our opinions of what constitutes a 'well written' show.

And am I supposed to believe that 99% of the best written shows were American? No SCTV? Kids In The Hall? Red Green Show? Corner Gas?

EDIT: I see this was voted on by the American Writer's Guild, hence the bias towards US television. Too bad more Canadian shows never found an audience in America. Then again, they barely find an audience here! ;)

Scrotum Scissor
06-12-2013, 09:25 AM
WHAT DU'H *?#¤&%?*!!! WHERE THE HECK IS QUINCY?!

3LockBox
06-12-2013, 09:52 AM
I think a common theme among all of these shows is that they are very good to great for about 4 or 5 seasons then start getting stale and repeating themselves. Bob Newhart was right to pull the plug on Newhart after 5 seasons back in the early '90s - I wished other shows had the courage. I do like Big Bang Theory, but it too is getting stale. I even think Friends was a great show the first 5 or so seasons, but once again, started running out of ideas. Cosby even brought in a fresh little girl once Rudy turned 12 so that Bill could recycle all that overt cutesiness they had in the first few seasons of that show. And then you have shows like Roseanne, which I think was brilliant when it first came out, but after 5 seasons really ran off the road a bunch of times and eventually over a cliff.

So, is someone gonna start a "best/worst spin-off" thread? Best last episode (if there was one)?

Joe F.
06-12-2013, 10:29 AM
I think a common theme among all of these shows is that they are very good to great for about 4 or 5 seasons then start getting stale and repeating themselves. Bob Newhart was right to pull the plug on Newhart after 5 seasons back in the early '90s )

I suppose he should have told the rest of the cast and crew since the show was on for 8 seasons. ;)

Yodelgoat
06-12-2013, 11:15 AM
If you haven't seen breaking bad, it will redefine what a good show is. It just keeps getting better and better. Too bad, they ended it after 5 seasons, but it was self defeating.. You can only get so bad...

I'm going to have to watch a bunch of those ahead of BB that I haven't seen. I'm burnt out on Seinfeld, just because the mrs puts it on all the time and I have it basically memorized.

I'll have to watch the Wire, West Wing and Mad Men. - I already have my own opinion about the rest, but BB is definitely one to watch.

Yves
06-12-2013, 11:39 AM
I am taking notes. Both Breaking Bad and The Wire are shows I have never seen. My girlfriend and I borrow TV series from the library one season at a time (just starting season 6 of The Sopranos) so I'll be on the lookout for season one of either of these shows.

hippypants
06-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Yeah, do check out Mad Men, it is well written, sometimes I can re-watch them just for that reason, and I like the style or design of the show. Actually overall after looking at the list again, I think it's pretty decent. I sort of burned out on Seinfeld too, but watching something too much can do that too you.

The Sopranos, ER, Seinfeld, The Twilight Zone, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Andy Griffin Show (best comedy ever as long as Barney was there), Breaking Bad, The X-Files, Star Trek (TOS & Next Gen), The Honeymooners, Twin Peaks, Game of Thrones, Downton Abbey, St. Elsewhere, Buffey the Vampire Slayer, Twin Peaks, Dexter, The Shield, The Wonder Years (to some degree), Get Smart (still funny), Monty Python, Gunsmoke (particularly the First Season and when Dennis Weaver was playing Chester), Band of Brothers, Lonesome Dove, The Fugitive, and Louie CK. I've enjoyed all of these shows from time to time, and some had me hooked to watching them pretty regularly.

JKL2000
06-12-2013, 11:59 AM
WHAT DU'H *?#¤&%?*!!! WHERE THE HECK IS QUINCY?!

LOL!

Where's "Love, Sidney" while we're at it?

JKL2000
06-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Whoever thought The Golden Girls was better than The Odd Couple should be shot.

Yves
06-12-2013, 03:52 PM
The all-time worse sitcom had to be Charles In Charge. I remember coming across an episode not too long ago and just cringing at how godawful it was! I mean bad...really,really,really bad....

Gruno
06-12-2013, 06:55 PM
The all-time worse sitcom had to be Charles In Charge. I remember coming across an episode not too long ago and just cringing at how godawful it was! I mean bad...really,really,really bad....

That's what ended up making it good as a guilty pleasure. Nowhere will it win awards. Scott Baio and Willie Aames would break character and joke to each other, at times. Those bits being left in an episode made it fun. Willie called Scott "Chachi" under his breath and Scott tried to keep a straight face. Then, Scott replies, "I always hated that kid!" Those were fun. Of course, having a niece who watched these episodes over and over sorta made me like it. The series finale was well done.

By the way, Eight was not Enough for Willie Aames -- he is now a cruise ship director:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1584429

Banquo
06-12-2013, 07:37 PM
By the way, Eight was not Enough for Willie Aames -- he is now a cruise ship director:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1584429

Better than this, I suppose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnR2GBDH278

JKL2000
06-13-2013, 10:49 AM
All hail Scott Baio!! Glory to the dark lord of television's underworld!!

Joe F.
06-13-2013, 10:57 AM
All hail Scott Baio!!

Bob Loblaw!

trurl
06-13-2013, 11:25 AM
All hail Scott Baio!! Glory to the dark lord of television's underworld!!

Scott Baio hears your supplication. When his reign of blood begins, as a reward you shall be eaten first.

Yves
06-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Bob Loblaw!

Is he in season 4? I don't subscribe to Netflix... I read where that final season wasn't as good. Anybody see it ?

firth5th
06-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Concur with sopranos at number one. Would rate dexter and homeland higher. Didn't see st elsewhere on the list, it was a good one back in the day. Also LA Law.

izz_brian
06-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Archer or Venture Bros.? Home Movies? Pushing Daisies? American Gothic? Firefly? Wonderfalls? I know a bunch of these are really fringe-y shows, but shouldn't the Writers Guild folks be aware of them?

Also, I think most of us would agree that Saturday Night Live is too inconsistent as a whole to be considered a "well-written" show. There are moments that hit, even today, but so many that fall flat.

Joe F.
06-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Is he in season 4? I don't subscribe to Netflix... I read where that final season wasn't as good. Anybody see it ?

AFAIK, he's in Season 4, as is Winkler. I haven't seen it yet.

Progbear
06-13-2013, 04:21 PM
↑↑I’m guessing they have a bias against animated shows, except for The Simpsons, which is pretty much required to pop up on lists like these (and, again, solely for its first four or five years, when they were on top of their game and truly were one of the best-written shows of all time). I’m sure they have a double bias against Home Movies, as a sizable chunk of the dialogue in that show was improvised.

Incidentally, I am surprised—yet relieved—that no one has mentioned Family Guy. Anyone who considers that show to be “well-written” needs to have his/her head examined.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Chocolate Kings”-PFM

philsunset
06-13-2013, 05:53 PM
And am I supposed to believe that 99% of the best written shows were American? No SCTV? Kids In The Hall? Red Green Show? Corner Gas?

EDIT: I see this was voted on by the American Writer's Guild, hence the bias towards US television. Too bad more Canadian shows never found an audience in America. Then again, they barely find an audience here! ;)

One of my favorite shows (and from Canada) was Prisoners of Gravity. I used to see that in Detroit broadcast from Windsor. I taped about 90 episodes and still watch some every so often.

Just Eric
06-13-2013, 06:50 PM
I am taking notes. Both Breaking Bad and The Wire are shows I have never seen. My girlfriend and I borrow TV series from the library one season at a time (just starting season 6 of The Sopranos) so I'll be on the lookout for season one of either of these shows.You can't go bad with either of those shows!

SteveSly
06-14-2013, 12:06 AM
If you haven't seen breaking bad, it will redefine what a good show is. It just keeps getting better and better. Too bad, they ended it after 5 seasons, but it was self defeating.. You can only get so bad...

I'm going to have to watch a bunch of those ahead of BB that I haven't seen. I'm burnt out on Seinfeld, just because the mrs puts it on all the time and I have it basically memorized.

I'll have to watch the Wire, West Wing and Mad Men. - I already have my own opinion about the rest, but BB is definitely one to watch.

I think you will find The Wire to be on the same level of Breaking Bad. They are both increidble shows.

Steve Sly

Lopez
06-14-2013, 08:26 AM
Can't believe St. Elsewhere didn't make the list (or did I miss it?). My favorite show ever. The writing was pretty classy with a lot of wit and in-jokes. There was one scene in which Dr. Craig was operating on a woman's nose. Someone said something to the effect of, "That's the biggest nasal cavity I've ever seen." To which Ehrlich (Ed Begley, Jr.) responds, "If I can find my keys, we can drive out of here." Dr. Craig kicks Ehrlich out of the operating room.

izz_brian
06-14-2013, 10:23 AM
I’m sure they have a double bias against Home Movies, as a sizable chunk of the dialogue in that show was improvised.

That's a great point. I hadn't thought about that important distinction.

JKL2000
06-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Barney Miller and I, Claudius - tie

Kiss my ass, cretins!

No Pride
06-15-2013, 01:03 PM
They didn't end it. The final season (6) starts on August 11th.

trurl
06-15-2013, 01:15 PM
They didn't end it. The final season (6) starts on August 11th.

I thought it was technically the 2nd half of season 5, which would make Das Goat correct... that may be splitting hairs, point is this will be the final run of shows. That's a great cue to take from British TV, which tends to only make series when they feel they have something to say and end them when they don't (Red Dwarf perhaps being a notable exception). The American version of The Office should have packed it in years ago.

Yodelgoat
06-16-2013, 12:12 PM
I thought it was technically the 2nd half of season 5.

Yes, that is correct, season 5 runs over a two year time frame. I'm just hoping that they will release 5.0 sometime in the near future, as I only watch it on DVD. 5.5 will be a while I'm sure. My Wifes cousin works on that show, and she comments on how she (and the cast) are still being called back in to make adjustments to 5.5.

3LockBox
06-17-2013, 10:58 PM
I suppose he should have told the rest of the cast and crew since the show was on for 8 seasons. ;)yeah, my bad. I thought its run was shorter than his first one.

It did have the best final episode ever.

trurl
06-17-2013, 11:33 PM

Yep. Quite possibly the best final scene in TV history... TV comedy history at any rate!

SteveSly
06-17-2013, 11:51 PM
yeah, my bad. I thought its run was shorter than his first one.

You guys lost me somewhere. Which show are you talking about.

Steve Sly

Joe F.
06-18-2013, 08:07 AM
You guys lost me somewhere. Which show are you talking about.

Steve Sly

Newhart.

I agree that the final episode was one of the best.

gryphs also
06-18-2013, 08:26 AM
I won't rehash the debate about a lot of the shows mentioned, but "Lou Grant" had some very good writing in it. Unfortunately it wasn't exciting and you had to actually think to enjoy it.

3LockBox
06-18-2013, 08:31 AM
I won't rehash the debate about a lot of the shows mentioned, but "Lou Grant" had some very good writing in it. Unfortunately it wasn't exciting and you had to actually think to enjoy it.If I remember right, that show got rather heavy handed and topical.

SteveSly
06-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Newhart.

I agree that the final episode was one of the best.

I thought that might have been it, but not sure. I agree that the ending to that final Newhart episode, may have been the best ever. They totally killed it. To me the only one that comes close was the ending to “Six Feet Under”. For a drama the final 5 minutes of the finale perfectly encapsulated what the show was all about and was the perfect ending for the series. Either way, both were great.

Steve Sly

rapidfirerob
06-19-2013, 03:14 AM
I like a lot of those shows. Most of the newer ones I've never seen. The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was a great, well written show
as was the wacky Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.

firth5th
06-19-2013, 08:06 PM
RIP James Gandolfini.

Jerjo
06-19-2013, 10:43 PM
I just saw he died. Wow, only 51.