PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Radio renewal question...

ForeverAutumn
11-12-2012, 03:25 PM
When I bought my car, it came equipped with a Sirius radio and six free months. At the end of the six months, Sirius gave me a pretty good deal to sign on that worked out to under $10/mth. Now that my subscription is up for renewal they want $203 for the next 12 months! Having had it for almost two years now, I'm not really sure that it's worth $200/yr to me. If I don't renew, will they start sending me better deals to get me to sign back up? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Pam George
11-12-2012, 06:33 PM
When I bought my car, it came equipped with a Sirius radio and six free months. At the end of the six months, Sirius gave me a pretty good deal to sign on that worked out to under $10/mth. Now that my subscription is up for renewal they want $203 for the next 12 months! Having had it for almost two years now, I'm not really sure that it's worth $200/yr to me. If I don't renew, will they start sending me better deals to get me to sign back up? Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

They will keep sending you stuff with better deals and they will phone you two or three times a week.

rushfan
11-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Wait until the last few days prior to renewal - that will be the time you will get the best deal. If you have not received anything in the mail by 2 days prior to your renewal I would call and request to have the service cancelled. At that point they will put you through to their retention team who may offer a better deal than customer service will offer. This happened with me and with others that I know.

Mike

Mick
11-12-2012, 07:02 PM
This goes for most "subscriptions"... WAIT, then threaten cancellation or switching to
competition at the last minute. A smaller monthly budget is exactly what EVERYONE needs.
Good thread!

Gruno
11-12-2012, 07:12 PM
I bought the $500 lifetime subscription in 2005 so I am doing great with it!

You definitely can get them down to as low as $40 per year if you are good. They do NOT want to lose subs.

progeezer
11-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm currently on a 3 month extension that they offered me for $25 total after my 3 mos. free expired (used rather than new car). I will not renew at any price (even $40/yr), since I almost never turn it on (too many cds to listen to), and when I do, I only hear music I like about 20% of the time at the outside after station surfing.

Now I know that I'll have to be extremely offensive when I start getting the calls when I cancel. Thanks for the heads-up, Pam!:lol

Scott Bails
11-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Now I know that I'll have to be extremely offensive when I start getting the calls when I cancel. Thanks for the heads-up, Pam!:lol

I wouldn't think this would be a problem. ;)

jazzcat
11-13-2012, 01:02 AM
OK, I gotta meow about this one - We have a sirius radio and sirius boombox that we got at goodwill for $30 bucks about 2 or 3+ years ago. Figured the subscription would stop but it's still going. :up
One of the best goodwill deals ever even if i rarely listen to it (my 16 year old has mostly commandeered it but that's fitting cuz he's the one that came home breathless to tell me he saw it there and we needed to go back and buy the thing). Wish there was some consistently interesting prog or jazz on there. If it's there, I can't find it.:doh

ForeverAutumn
11-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Thanks everyone. That's what I suspected would happen, but it's good to get confirmation from people with experience with this company. My renewal payment was due on October 17th. Since they take payment in advance I'm actually covered until Nov. 17th. The guy I spoke to on the phone told me that they give an extra 30 days to pay so that my service wouldn't actually stop until Dec. 17. I'll see what happens between now and then. I'm not renewing for $200 so they are going to have to come up with a better deal to keep me. Especially now that I've heard from all of you. :)

Chuck AzEee!
11-13-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm glad this thread exists. My wife and I are leasing a 2013 Ford Escape which comes with 6 months free of Sirius Radio. I rarely drive the car so I haven't had time to fiddle around with the stations, but my wife has mentioned she wants to hopefully re-new the subscription. I'm kind of leery to doing so because their is only one Spanish music channel on Sirius and after sampling that channel, that station wasn't as good as the stations on free radio. I'll take note of what's lested here and check with some other Pay radio enterprise.

ForeverAutumn
11-13-2012, 01:09 PM
My wife and I are leasing a 2013 Ford Escape

How do you like the 2013 Escape? I have leased 2005 and 2008 Escapes and currently own a 2011 Escape. The 2013 is a complete redesign.

I know this runs a bit off-topic, but since this is my thread, I'll allow it. :)

Scott Bails
11-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Yes, very timely for me as well, as I just purchased a 2013 Chevy Equinox which has a 3-month subscription (used to be 6 months, right?).

I do like having the satellite radio, but haven't figured out if I can justify the cost when the free subscription runs out.

paythesnuka
11-13-2012, 04:07 PM
I have been an XM subscriber for six or seven years, and I used to get a $77 a year deal every year. Lately, the best deal I have gotten (for the last two years) is 5 months for $24. In fact I just got that deal last night for my wife's car. The thing you have to do is threaten to cancel unless they give you that deal. They will come up with a couple of deals that aren't as good and you have to tell them that it still is not worth keeping at that price. They'll put you on hold and get back on in a minute saying "I was just about to put in the cancellation and that deal came up." The only thing is, you have to make sure to call up a few days before the five months expires to make sure you don't roll over to full price. And then you go through the same process again in five months.