PDA

View Full Version : DC-SOAR Fundraiser #2 at Orion - Prophet Code, Zero Mercury, Kabab-o-Taj - Sat., Nov.

Mike Potter
11-12-2012, 10:31 AM
7:00pm Saturday Night, November 17th

The DC Society of Art Rock
Presents

Prophet Code
Zero Mercury
Kabab-o-Taj

at

Orion Studios, 2903 Whittington Ave, Baltimore, 21230

This Saturday night, November 17th, we’ll be hosting the second and final fundraiser for the DC Society of Art Rock (DC-SOAR). Those who were at the first event two Saturdays ago will agree that it’s going to be hard to top that show. Tom Hudon and crew have, nonetheless, managed to assemble a lineup for their second event which may just be “for the win”.

Also note this will be our final “official” showcase for the year. There will likely be one additional party/show on December 1st, however, so stay tuned! The next official showcase will be on January 12th, 2013, featuring The Red Masque.

PROPHET CODE
www.facebook.com/ProphetCode (http://www.facebook.com/ProphetCode)

Many of you are already familiar with Prophet Code, or are at least familiar with several of the musicians in the band. The band includes Tom Kraus on guitar and vocals, Jim Rezek on keys, Gary Chambers on drums, and Rick Norris on bass guitar – the first three of whom were or are essential elements of Iluvatar, while both Tom and Rick were part of Brave New World. While their music is all-original there may be an appearance by one of the other Iluvatarians causing the Propheteers to play a cover. We’ll see! Fans of Iluvatar, early to mid-period Genesis, Rush, and Fish-era Marillion are sure to find lots to like here.

ZERO MERCURY
www.facebook.com/ZeroMercuryMusic (http://www.facebook.com/ZeroMercuryMusic)

Like many others I was first introduced to Zero Mercury at the show two weeks ago as Tom Hudon had me play their CD between the sets. I have to say I’m totally digging it. Zero Mercury is a highly improvisational progressive rock group playing what could loosely be described as "space rock" or perhaps “post-rock”. They are currently working on a full-length CD called The Awakening. They are a young band with a whole bunch of potential and I know a lot of you are going to enjoy their set.

KABAB-O-TAJ
www.kabobotaj.com (http://www.kabobotaj.com)

Kabob-O-taj breaches genre barriers without so much as a backward glance, and creates a diverse musical landscape sculpted through passion, improvisation and an unbreakable bedrock of musical understanding. With a unique blend of rock, reggae, funk, jazz, metal, and even classical influences, they produce an experimental sound that straddles a line between mellow and maniacal. Okay – that was cut ‘n paste from Tom’s announcement but I’ve never heard this band before. Still, from the description, I’m way looking forward to hearing them.

Da Rulz:

Cover is $15, only available at the door on the day of the show.
All ages show
BYOB - coolers welcome!
BYO folding chair - small folding chairs are welcome!

Driving Directions: The studio is located at 2903 Whittington Ave, Baltimore 21230. Take I-95 to Caton Ave. South, exit 50A. BE CAREFUL COMING FROM THE SOUTH! The entrance onto Caton Ave is a Yield with NO MERGE AREA! Take Caton Ave southbound to the third traffic signal, which is Washington Blvd. Turn left onto Washington and go about 1/4 mile - look for a large "U-Haul" sign on your right. Turn right at the sign onto Inverness Ave. Take Inverness to its end and turn left onto Whittington Ave. Take Whittington to its end and turn right into our lot. Entry is through door "B" in the building to your right as you enter the lot.

Meme Prog Mutation
11-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the post Mike. We do indeed have three very different bands for this one, and I trust at least one will appeal to everyones taste. The first two bands both have young members and I hope will bring a new crowd to Orion and SOAR. This is a lengthy Introspective of Kababotaj I found on Youtube that will give a hint of what to expect (though I understand they are bringing an electric Marimba player too): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzFbMX-cVxM

(I tried to embed that video and could not figure out the new system).

Tom

Jimmy Giant
11-12-2012, 03:37 PM
We will be there, Guinness in hands!

Meme Prog Mutation
11-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Ummm, Mike the start time is 7PM, not 8.

Tom

Mike Potter
11-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Sheesh - I made the same mistake on the last show! Ya - corrected the start time to 7:00pm. And since we're going to do sound checks between sets on this one we may even actually get started by the, ah, "start" time!

Shadow
11-12-2012, 06:20 PM
I got a Lazy Boy recliner being delivered Saturday for the show.

Mike Potter
11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I got a Lazy Boy recliner being delivered Saturday for the show.

Ed - given your love of listening from the hallway we'll just put your Lazy Boy down by the old Kurgans room.

Mike Potter
11-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Tomorrow night! Last show of 2012 - in fact the last Orion show before the end of the world!

markwoll
11-18-2012, 11:09 AM
YAY! Interesting show.
Prophet Code was rocking. Zero Mercury was very good. Kabab-a-taj brought some different sonic textures and stuff.
Thanks to SOAR for putting it together.
And Mike and crew for being the awesome hosts bearing patch cables.
And Yummy cup cakes.

mark

Meme Prog Mutation
11-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks Mark. Glad you enjoyed it.

I'm not sure I ever was very good at bouncing back from late shows but that one sure took a toll on me. I slept till about 3PM Sunday.

Tom