PDA

View Full Version : Glass Hammer: Perilous

Arkangel3
11-11-2012, 10:17 PM
This is a HEAVY album; heavy in subject matter; heavy in music because of all the dense (but oh so beautiful layers); and heavy because right now, this is really crept up into my Top 5 and possibly Top 3 releases of the year. They keyboard work is superb; the extra choruses, acoustic guitar ensemble and of course the absolutely soaring vox of Jon Davison just floored me upon listening to this album. While GH's previous releases were all hit and miss (at least for me; I thought The Unconsolable Secret was brilliant), the last 3 with JD singing on them (If, Con Cordium, and Perilous) have been nothing short of revelations. Where these guys rotated musicians faster than Steely Dan did back in the 70's at one point, they finally found the perfect mix with Schendel/Babb/Shikoh/Davison in the past 3 discs. MAGIC! (There be dragons here!). I was listening to the three most recent albums and the music just gets better with each and every release. There is an energy there, a focus and a "mission" for each of these albums. They build upon one another, so that by the time we hit the amazing Perilous, you may believe you are prepared for the magic about to come from your speakers, but you are not.

Nothing can prepare you for the brilliance that is this album. While "If' and "Con Cordium" out-Yessed Yes; Perilous is markedly different, yet very much out of a Yes sounding mold. If you had to pick an album that would be GH's "Relayer", this would be it. It's themes both lyrically and musically are Dark; a bit of a departure for these guys. At the end of things, there is some resolution for the positive, but Perilous is fraught with questions that we all ask ourselves: Who am I? Why am I here? Where am I going? Is there more to this world than we see, and is there an afterlife? Absolutely heavy subject matter that is expertly handled by these fine musicians. And Jon Davison...what an incredible revelation! The man just manages to take music that is already soaring and pushes it up into the stratosphere. While all the tracks run together as one piece on the album, several stand out. My favorite is "Toward Home We Fled", a perfect example of what JD does for this band...his voice just illuminates the proceedings and pushes them further out there than they ever could have been done by any other singer. Actually, it's like that on any song JD's sung on...but this song is just moving and the hooks in the music are just pushed further by that incredible soaring voice of Mr Davison. There is an incredible duet between Amber Fults and JD that is absolutely heartbreaking, and beautiful. Her voice is impeccable...but then JD comes in with this lyric and range in his vocal that envelops the listener in this amazing feeling of warmth and love amidst questions of a man asking himself (or the Universe) what it's all about..."is that all there is?" (as the old saying goes). It's a wonderful moment that takes a melancholy melody and somehow lifts it to angelic heights. It's remarkable.

I love everything about this album, from the lyrics and music to the superb production. There are so many layers here...this is not your typical GH album. There is a lot going on, a LOT of incredible bass and guitar playing as well as superb keyboard playing that are at once familiar as Glass Hammer and there is another element (which I cannot put my finger on) that has crept into this music. It beautiful. It's wistful and wondrous...and it's Perilous. Hands down one of the best releases of the year...nothing prepared me for just how damned amazing this album is. Absolutely, positively, highly recommended. And while you're at it, just go out and get the previous two releases...then one day sit and listen to all 3 in one session and be prepared to get floored. These guys were always very talented, always great playing and composition, but Perilous just simply is the crown jewel of the Jon Davison era of Glass Hammer. Let's just hope JD keeps working with both Yes and Glass Hammer, because with JD, this band has taken on new and wonderful direction in the music that is simply superb.

ItalProgRules
11-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Yep, I'm really loving PERILOUS. I just picked up CHRONOMOTREE and am currently obesssed with that one as well.

ca1ore
11-12-2012, 10:10 AM
This is a very solid effort, no question; but as of now, I would rank it third of the JD albums. Perhaps, probaby, that will change; but for now I'm really liking, but not loving the album. One thing that I am having hard time with, is the rather odd sounding drums - a bit 'artificial'and timid.

CaffieneMan
11-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I would rank this second out of the JD albums, right after "If".

As for "Chronometree", I didn't like that one very much. The vocals drive me buggy every time I listen to it.

julioscissors
11-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I think my fav bits of the CD are the guitar parts, which is sort of odd for a GH album. Shikoh is one hell of a guitar player!

I'm having a bit of an issue with JD's vocals on this one, though. I thought he was great on "If" and "CC", but to my ears I think another singer could brought a little more power to this release. He's not bad by any means, just not a good fit for this particular CD.

But then again, I loved the vocals on "Chronometree", so what do I know? ;)

ItalProgRules
11-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I should have specified that I'm currently obsessed musically with Chronametree. The vox...a bit of an aquired taste, I guess. Maybe it's just me, but the vox kind of sound like they came from an old Alan Parsons Project album (not any one particular APP vocalist, just the general style.)

I don't love the vox on C-tree and I don't hate 'em. I'd give them a "C+." Mind-blowing album musically, though.

sotdude
11-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Really liking the album so far!!!

Arkangel3
11-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Just spent the last few hours once again listening to "If", "Con Cordium" and "Perilous". Three-plus hours of stunning music that seems to build up to the new album, but takes a left turn (there's that "darker vision" in the lyrics I spoke about as well as the music) in Perilous a bit. Still, these are three fine Prog Rock albums that these guys put out; all solid releases. But man, the new album is just so well recorded, composed, and played. And yeah, I can see someone with a more traditional rock voice doing the vocals on perilous...but JD works. Don't ask me how or why...it just fits perfectly. I'm now off to watch a concert filmed from the last Yes tour with John Davison in Pennsy (nicely done, btw...and it sounds great) that I got off of Dime last night. Based on what I've seen (and if you have the bandwidth, definitely go out there and get that torrent). He's perfect with Glass Hammer (despite him not writing any of Perilous) and is superb with Yes...his interpretations of Yessongs on tour are not only flawless, but they are original as well. He adds some nice ventures into different/complimentary keys in his vocal interpretations. Right now, in my book he's one of the best singers in all of progressive rock.

bill g
11-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Hmm. I loved 'If'. ordered 'Cor Cordium' once, but both Greg and Ken were sold out at the time, but love the samples I've heard. I think I should try ordering that one first. 'Darker' is a word that sometimes scares me, although it is not always a bad thing. I relistened to the you tube samplers of Cor Cordium this morning and they sounded fantastic. I should probably just get both if I can.(just paid for my daughters wedding though so we'll see.)

Yanks2014
11-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Definitely a cool album, I'm liking this more than "If" or "CC", which are both quite good, but perhaps a little too derivitive of a certain band. This one sounds more like a GH album to my ears.

YESHEAD777
11-13-2012, 12:11 AM
It is definitely more of a GH stamp sound on this one,but still a strong group effort, but I have to agree with ca1ore, the drums are thin in the mix compared to the last two. the only shortcoming I can find in this one. Still in their top 3 or 4 IMHO.

spacefreak
11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
I hate that lame gothic metal cover. Up to the point of not buying the album...

http://www.glasshammer.com/images/GlassHammerPerilous2012borders_000.jpg

Yanks2014
11-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Wait a second, you wont buy this because of the album cover? And if this were for a gothic metal band, the fans of that genre would think the cover rather lame. It's "dark" in that it's for GH.

ItalProgRules
11-14-2012, 12:41 PM
If I was to refuse to buy albums because of the cover, I'd miss out on a whole lot of great music.

Nearfest2
11-14-2012, 01:37 PM

Then download the album from iTunes and replace the cover with a photo of some fuzzy bunnies.

3LockBox
11-14-2012, 02:23 PM

if I could be sure the cover was at all indicative of the music inside, I might buy the album. Instead, I've tired of GH's brand of bookstore club symph-prog, so I'll pass on this one.

ItalProgRules
11-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Could you define "bookstore club symph-prog?" I am not familiar with that term.

trurl
11-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Instead, I've tired of GH's brand of bookstore club symph-prog, so I'll pass on this one.

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1202/4729036468_6246cb1e82_m.jpg
:D

3LockBox
11-14-2012, 03:03 PM
Could you define "bookstore club symph-prog?" I am not familiar with that term.

I made it up. Similar to coffeehouse theater club prog.

I used to say suped-up Mannheim Steamroller on the old board, but thought I'd try something new. I know, I know, why post at all, but it's just my way of expressing frustration that they won't make an album I like. They did once, no, twice - Culture of Ascent and 3 Cheers. I bought the first two JD albums, traded the the first two JD albums... but I am serious, if the new one rocked like the cover, I'd buy it. I have a soft spot for the band, being a TN native myself, I wished they would blow me away. They come across to me as a tad too polite and too studied.

Glass Hammer
11-14-2012, 03:20 PM
They come across to me as a tad too polite

Lucky for you :bad

julioscissors
11-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Took me about 5 or 6 spins for this one to finally sink in. There are some very complex vocal melodies that at first listen didn't grab me, but now I find them brilliant. I initially thought JD wasn't the right singer for this release; however I was mistaken. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure of another singer that could sing these melodies as perfectly as he does.

I do agree with some of the comments regarding the drum mixing. Small nitpick, though - otherwise I think "Perilous" is an amazing release.

GH is one of those bands that I trust to "know better than I do", so they always get the benefit of multiple spins. They are absolutely my favorite prog band, and the band I go back to more than any other. From any era.

Don Arnold
11-14-2012, 05:27 PM
I do agree with some of the comments regarding the drum mixing. Small nitpick, though - otherwise I think "Perilous" is an amazing release.

Perilous is on my want list so I'll pick it up at some point. I have a half-dozen GH releases and love them all. I have found though, that the drumming sounds in most GH releases seem to lack energy and presence - almost an afterthought at times.

Jymbot
11-14-2012, 05:30 PM
GH is one of those bands that I trust to "know better than I do",

The best definition of art I have come across:
"Art is not about giving people what they want. Its about giving them something they do not know they want. Its about submitting to someone else's vision. It requires a tremendous leap of faith..."

Yanks2014
11-14-2012, 09:16 PM
I made it up. Similar to coffeehouse theater club prog.

I used to say suped-up Mannheim Steamroller on the old board, .

Ouch! Actually, I like MS, but I'd never compare GH to them.

Arkangel3
11-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Took me about 5 or 6 spins for this one to finally sink in. There are some very complex vocal melodies that at first listen didn't grab me, but now I find them brilliant. I initially thought JD wasn't the right singer for this release; however I was mistaken. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure of another singer that could sing these melodies as perfectly as he does.

You are absolutely spot on here. That duet at the end of the album, for example. It just calls out for his voice, yet you cannot even hear his voice in your mind as part of the duet until it begins...and you realize the sheer perfection of that duet. It's absolutely heartbreaking

Again, absolutely spot on. Believe it or not, Phil Collins (circa maybe 1977) would have been absolutely perfect for the drums on this release

This is truly a remarkable album. I'm all out of superlatives, man! :D It touches the heart and should and that is so rare in music these days to begin with and often attempted half-heartedly and thus limited success when that happens. These guys to it in such a perfect manner because they are sincere in their playing, and the emotions truly come through in every performance.

spacefreak
11-15-2012, 12:25 AM
If I was to refuse to buy albums because of the cover, I'd miss out on a whole lot of great music.

I rarely do it but this one... :down

...will never put me in the mood to spin it.

bill g
11-15-2012, 12:53 PM
Huh, someone mentioned Mannheim Steamroller?? From a compositional standpoint, there is a world of difference between the two. I don't mind MS, and would more like equate PFM's recent instrumental album to them. But GH uses a whole lot of technique MS has never done, rhythm changes, chord changes, melodies that carry over changes in key. Plus I think the melodies (more of a subjective thing, I know) are really good. Just my opinion, of course ;)

3LockBox
11-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Huh, someone mentioned Mannheim Steamroller?? From a compositional standpoint, there is a world of difference between the two. GH uses a whole lot of technique MS has never done, rhythm changes, chord changes, melodies that carry over changes in key. Plus I think the melodies (more of a subjective thing, I know) are really good. well, I did say "suped-up" ;)

3LockBox
11-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Did Live At The Tivoli ever get released on DVD or CD?

http://youtu.be/cghMHgiQeSY

trurl
11-15-2012, 05:53 PM
It did, that's where this must have been ripped from. Don't know if it's still in print though.

BTW, anyone is welcome to love or hate the cover as they see fit but it is a fairly literal interpretation of the subject matter. Some very personal and painful subject matter I might add, and something that everyone is going to deal with sooner or later.

3LockBox
11-15-2012, 06:10 PM
I bought Shadowland when it first came out, and liked it OK, but I was a bit bemused by their cover of Dan Fogelberg's Longer. I said then, if you're going to cover a well know pop song and put a new arrangement on it, like Yes did with Paul Simon's America, then you'd better hit a home run, like Yes did. I said then that GH was thrown out at 2nd base.

http://youtu.be/v-l_Ezi5Phk

But this live version, is superior to the album version in every way. Carl Groves is one of GH best male vocalists and this is a better arrangement. This version of Longer they hit out of the park. I've always thought that a lot of GH's material was always missing one tiny ingredient on many of their songs, whether it was a better lead male vocal performance here, or a bit more guitar there, less of this more of that, etc... I've spent an afternoon perusing these YT vids and boy oh boy, this sure was a killer show. All of these performances are better than their studio counterparts. If this is available on CD, I'd buy it.

3LockBox
11-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Did the same line-up on the Tivoli show tour for the Culture of Ascent album? I know it was this line-up what recorded it, but I'm wondering if they toured with that material.

itserik
11-15-2012, 07:21 PM

Totally agree on the lameness of the spooky dude cover. cheese. The image on the back of the CD is even cheesier - spooky dude with goggles strapped to his top hat. ??

Its a turn off until you put on the disc and realize its almost as good as "If".

Yanks2014
11-16-2012, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=itserik;6214]Totally agree on the lameness of the spooky dude cover. cheese. The image on the back of the CD is even cheesier - spooky dude with goggles strapped to his top hat. ??
QUOTE]

Holy crap, some of you are soooo picky with cover art. I think it's a cool cover, which I guess points out my overall lameness. I'm not sure what is wrong with it. Don't matter a whole lot though if the music is strong. I love Foxtrot by Genesis, Hemishpheres by Rush and Going for the One by Yes, and all 3 have terrible covers, far worse than anything by GH. Can't say I've been disappointed by a GH album cover yet. The music? Eh. Just kidding!

ca1ore
11-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Gee, I guess it would be hard for me to care less about the cover art on any album. Cannot honestly recall any instance where the cover caused me to buy or not buy an album.

Yanks2014
11-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Gee, I guess it would be hard for me to care less about the cover art on any album. Cannot honestly recall any instance where the cover caused me to buy or not buy an album.

I can honestly say I've never bought an album because of cool art. It may cause me to look at the album, but to buy it just based on a cover? Seems strange, though apparently so many prog fans have done this over the years.

bill g
11-18-2012, 11:43 AM
I can honestly say I've never bought an album because of cool art. It may cause me to look at the album, but to buy it just based on a cover? Seems strange, though apparently so many prog fans have done this over the years.

Oh I have. When I first saw 'The Geese & The Ghost' the cover was so beautiful, I wondered if the music could possibly sound like the cover. And at least in the title track, it did. I also bought the first Willowglass cd because of the cover art. Absolutely beautiful cover. I admit I expected a little more out of the music that time. On the other hand, I don't think a cover has actually caused me to NOT buy an album I would have otherwise though.

Glass Hammer
11-26-2012, 11:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAujM7Ehrl0

This is "Our Foe Revealed" from Perilous. Enjoy!

itserik
11-26-2012, 01:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAujM7Ehrl0

This is "Our Foe Revealed" from Perilous. Enjoy!

great example of the fine music on Perilous. Thanks for posting GH.

ItalProgRules
11-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Listening to "Chronos Deliverer" from Chronometree right now. What a mind-blower.

julioscissors
11-27-2012, 01:31 PM
"In That Lonely Place" is a such a beautiful song. I can't stop listening to it!

Todd
11-29-2012, 02:36 PM
This really is a great album, I think their best since Inconsolable Secret. I understand the vinyl version soon to be released has some bonus tracks on it. Any chance those bonus tracks will find their way onto CD or digital download?

ItalProgRules
11-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Just curious if Randall Williams will ever be an official member of the group since he's always listed as a guest?

warrplayer
11-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Okay, that was Tasty with a capital T.

trurl
12-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Just curious if Randall Williams will ever be an official member of the group since he's always listed as a guest?

Well... we're going to be saying something about that rather soon... :D

Jymbot
12-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Does it ever get more YES-like than "One Heart" off Cor Cordium?

JIF
12-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Did GH use vintage keyboards on this one? Or cheap imitations? Also, if GH have to tour behind this next year, how will Jon D. find time to record with Yes?

trurl
12-07-2012, 09:22 AM
The album was recorded using a real vintage Casiotone CT-360 keyboard as well as an Ensoniq Mirage with a broken disk drive so we couldn't load any sounds into it. We do regret that since GH plans to play well over 500 shows in 2013 that Yes will probably have to take the entire year off. Sorry about that, guys.

ItalProgRules
12-07-2012, 09:28 AM
The album was recorded using a real vintage Casiotone CT-360 keyboard as well as an Ensoniq Mirage with a broken disk drive so we couldn't load any sounds into it. We do regret that since GH plans to play well over 500 shows in 2013 that Yes will probably have to take the entire year off. Sorry about that, guys.

:lol

trespass
12-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Would love to see these guys at BajaProg. That might pry the $8.99 from my pocket. I'll probably get it regardless, although as I own zero GH, I'm think CC might be more to my tastes. Decisions, decisions. They do sound very much like classic Yes. And Yes, I've seen JD sing with Yes in concert. It was good but you'll need to look at old PE to see my full review of the show from this past summer.

So...in to GH I will get. Will it be P or CC?

ItalProgRules
12-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Would love to see these guys at BajaProg. That might pry the $8.99 from my pocket. I'll probably get it regardless, although as I own zero GH, I'm think CC might be more to my tastes. Decisions, decisions. They do sound very much like classic Yes. And Yes, I've seen JD sing with Yes in concert. It was good but you'll need to look at old PE to see my full review of the show from this past summer.

So...in to GH I will get. Will it be P or CC?

Of the 3 Davison-era albums, I think IF is the strongest overall. Just IMHO, your mileage may vary.

CC does have the excellent epic "To Someone" and the strong "Nothingbox"

PERILOUS is great but maybe not for all tastes. It's a one hour long concept piece with nothing really that can be pulled out as a stand alone track (no "Carpet Crawlers" here, for example.) Not that you have to listen to the whole thing every time, but it's the kind of album you listen to in chunks if not in its entirety. The back cover has the album divided into 3 segments and I've found that listening to a segment at a time works best if you don't have time for the whole thing, with the last sequence being my favorite.

Hope this helps and happy listening!

trespass
12-07-2012, 07:12 PM
ItalProgRules;16358]Of the 3 Davison-era albums, I think IF is the strongest overall. Just IMHO, your mileage may vary.

CC does have the excellent epic "To Someone" and the strong "Nothingbox"

The back cover has the album divided into 3 segments and I've found that listening to a segment at a time works best if you don't have time for the whole thing, with the last sequence being my favorite.

Hope this helps and happy listening!

It does help and thanks for the informative reply. I think I'll check out the two recommended tracks from CC and then move forward with the Perilous album. Posts like yours truely do rule :D Thanks ItalProgR

ca1ore
12-13-2012, 08:07 AM
There are a couple of really strong three album runs. Besides the aforementioned IF-CC-P trio, Shadowlands-Inconsolable Secret-Culture of Ascent is a terrific run as well. TiS remains my single favorite overall.

ItalProgRules
12-13-2012, 09:30 AM
There are a couple of really strong three album runs. Besides the aforementioned IF-CC-P trio, Shadowlands-Inconsolable Secret-Culture of Ascent is a terrific run as well. TiS remains my single favorite overall.

Shadowlands just isn't doing it for me, at least not yet. Got it a few weeks ago and spun it 3-4 times. Incosolable Secret is being reissued in a few months, iirc. They've been dropping hints about Kamran Alan Shikoh adding new bits to something. Could it be TIS?

JIF
12-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Shadowlands just isn't doing it for me, at least not yet. Got it a few weeks ago and spun it 3-4 times. Incosolable Secret is being reissued in a few months, iirc. They've been dropping hints about Kamran Alan Shikoh adding new bits to something. Could it be TIS?If that last part about adding new bits is true, maybe they could get Jon Davison to sing new vocals?

trurl
12-13-2012, 10:54 PM
If that last part about adding new bits is true, maybe they could get Jon Davison to sing new vocals?

Some trivia: The whole reason GH ever contacted JD in the first place back around 2009 or 2010 was in regard to singing some alternate lead tracks on Inconsolable Secret... ;)

ItalProgRules
12-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Some trivia: The whole reason GH ever contacted JD in the first place back around 2009 or 2010 was in regard to singing some alternate lead tracks on Inconsolable Secret... ;)

Ahh, zee plot thickens! :)

ca1ore
12-14-2012, 11:58 AM
.... some alternate lead tracks on Inconsolable Secret

Would be interesting to hear some alternate takes on the album ..... but the thing is darn near perfect so hopefully not too much fiddling.

Rand Kelly
12-15-2012, 07:04 AM
Santa said he's bringing me Con Cordium and Perilous this year. I love GH since I bought the Lex Live dvd and The Inconsolable Secret but stopped after IF. Not because of any problems with them,just so much money to go around,but after reading Ken's rave review I'm sold. Thanks buddy.

Arkangel3
12-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Santa said he's bringing me Con Cordium and Perilous this year. I love GH since I bought the Lex Live dvd and The Inconsolable Secret but stopped after IF. Not because of any problems with them,just so much money to go around,but after reading Ken's rave review I'm sold. Thanks buddy.

Glad to see you part with your hard earned gold pressed latinum :D ! Yeah, this is a great album. I gave it a rest for a couple of weeks because I was afraid I was overplaying it. Glad I did, because when I put it on in the car this past week, all those good vibes kept flooding back. It's a great album; #2 on my list for Best of '12 (Marillion's "Sounds That Can't Be Made" was first)

ItalProgRules
12-17-2012, 08:09 AM
No matter how many times I spin PERILOUS, I keep finding more great things in there. This is an album with serious depth.

Mikhael
12-18-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm pretty impressed with this clip; there's more energy in the performance, and better balance in the instruments. I guess I'll have to order it.

Rand Kelly
12-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Did the same line-up on the Tivoli show tour for the Culture of Ascent album? I know it was this line-up what recorded it, but I'm wondering if they toured with that material.

Why all this wondering? Just go to www.glasshammer.com and ask them. That's why the web was invented folks.

trurl
12-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Why all this wondering? Just go to www.glasshammer.com and ask them. That's why the web was invented folks.
Or just ask me :D No shows were done for the Culture Of Ascent album. When the Tivoli concert came up here in town in 2007 or whenever it was we had almost no time to prepare and mostly played songs we had been playing previously. We played South Side Of The Sky prior to that as basically just a straight Yes cover, but we did our arrangement at the 3RP show a couple years later. Steve and I have talked about pulling out some of those songs at future shows though, so stay tuned!

Guitarplyrjvb
12-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Fred,

As a fan of your and Steve's music and an admirer of the quantity of your output, I've been somewhat suprised that given all of the new music you have, that you would have chosen to do covers. First, you covered yourselves on the Perelandra album, then you've got the "Longer Than" and "South Side of the Sky" covers. Added to that, the desire to revisit the Inconsolable Secret (which I find to be your masterpiece!) baffles me. With so much new music coming out of you guys, why all this covering and second guessing?

Oh, I bought the new album, but mistakenly had it shipped to my brother's house, so I won't get to hear it until after Christmas!

trurl
12-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Three cover songs over the course of 13 albums or something- I think we're allowed that... We've put out three albums of all new material in 3 years- why 'ya complaining? :p The covers are there because we felt like we had something to say through them, a different perspective to show, basically is the short answer. We'll talk more about IS very soon ;)

PS- you forgot Portrait/He Knew on the live album, though that was strictly because Rich Williams sat in at that show...

trurl
12-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Oh yeah, A Rose For Emily is a cover as well! I REALLY like that one too, btw.

ItalProgRules
12-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Oh yeah, A Rose For Emily is a cover as well! I REALLY like that one too, btw.

Odessy (sic) & Oracle...great, great album.

itserik
12-20-2012, 03:51 PM
No matter how many times I spin PERILOUS, I keep finding more great things in there. This is an album with serious depth.

I found this was the case with IF too. In fact, I was lukewarm about IF for quite a few spins then it hit me.

With Perilous it has taken even longer to wrap myself around it. Thoroughly enjoying it.

Well done GH!

Still really dislike the cover art though...

YESHEAD777
12-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Or just ask me :D No shows were done for the Culture Of Ascent album. When the Tivoli concert came up here in town in 2007 or whenever it was we had almost no time to prepare and mostly played songs we had been playing previously. We played South Side Of The Sky prior to that as basically just a straight Yes cover, but we did our arrangement at the 3RP show a couple years later. Steve and I have talked about pulling out some of those songs at future shows though, so stay tuned!

Ember without Name and Sun Song PLZZZZZZZZZZ.

YESHEAD777
12-21-2012, 07:12 PM
IMHO IF has the best song of the JD era in "If the Stars", "Cor Coridium" has the next two strongest in "Salvation Station" and "Dear Daddy", and "Perilous" is probably the most evenly consistant and complex of the three!