Firth
11-11-2012, 05:15 PM
To continue a thread about SAAB any other vehicle info or discussion

Duncan Glenday
11-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Subscribed

Firth
11-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Mattel's Hot Wheels division teamed up with General Motors (GM, Fortune 500) to create a special Hot Wheels version of the Chevrolet Camaro.
The special edition car, revealed at a custom car trade show recently, will only be available for a limited time and will cost about $7,000 more than a standard-issue Camaro.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/dam/assets/121026090801-hot-wheel-camaro-story-top.jpg

JKL2000
11-13-2012, 12:19 PM
I subscribed too. As a first-time car owner, I do have occasional questions.

Baribrotzer
11-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Of little practical purpose, but interesting: Motor Trend just gave their Car of the Year award to to the Tesla Model S.

Yes, it's impractically expensive - but no more so than the Mercedes AMG, BMW M-series, or turbo V8 Audi models that are its direct competitors. The biggest real differences are that the Tesla can carry more people and luggage, it's quieter, it has a bit less range, and it takes longer to fuel up. And anyway, just as Tesla did at first with the pricy and impractical Roadster, they're building a high-end, high-profit model and plowing the money back in to finance the design and tooling-up for something more affordable. They apparently plan to continue that strategy by building a high-end SUV - but next will come a model comparable to a Nissan Leaf or Prius, and priced about the same.

Duncan Glenday
11-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Of little practical purpose, but interesting: Motor Trend just gave their Car of the Year award to to the Tesla Model S.

As I understand it, the "S" will be a gas-electric, rather like the Volt.

It's the only system that makes ANY sense to me. Great energy efficiency on typical short trips, but no 'range anxiety'. (At least - until a diesel electric comes out.)

I could not buy a limited range car because I often do long trips. E.g. for work, in half of 2010 and all of 2011, I drove to a town 250 miles away on Sunday nights, and drove home on Thursday evenings. Another time, I had a client in Baltimore for a year - which was about 55 miles away.

No way a 'liquorice car could handle that sort of range. But a Volt or a Tesla "S" could...

NogbadTheBad
11-13-2012, 08:22 PM
I've had some real dog cars over the years but my last two have been an absolute joy. I used to drive an Mr2 Spyder that was loads of fun, now have a BMW 328xi that is probably the nicest car I've ever driven

Duncan Glenday
11-13-2012, 08:36 PM
I've had 3 BMWs and agree - they're great.

Enjoying my Infiniti G35 now, though it's getting a bit old...

Baribrotzer
11-13-2012, 10:33 PM
As I understand it, the "S" will be a gas-electric, rather like the Volt.Nope, it's a pure electric. But the top-of-the-line model has a 265-mile range. To charge it on longer trips, Tesla is building a network of "Supercharger" stations, which produce 480-volt DC and will charge it relatively quickly. There are already six open in California, and they're planning to next build them all the way up and down the West Coast. Then across the country. Interestingly enough, charge-ups are FREE for the life of the car - try doing that in your AMG!

Unfortunately, these won't work on any other electric cars or even earlier Tesla models - the current and the plug as well are nonstandard.

Paulie
11-14-2012, 01:45 PM
Electric schmelectric. :p I just picked up a Toyota Tundra Double Cab 5.7 L iForce V8. Surprisingly smooth, quiet, and comfortable ride for a truck! And what a rocket ship!

wideopenears
11-14-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm gonna buy a 4 seater convertible as my next wheels.....trying to decide what. BMW, maybe. Possibly a Lexus. Any ideas? A bit sporty, but not "coupe" sporty--i.e., no Miatas or Z's...

Duncan Glenday
11-14-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm gonna buy a 4 seater convertible as my next wheels.....trying to decide what. BMW, maybe. Possibly a Lexus. Any ideas? A bit sporty, but not "coupe" sporty--i.e., no Miatas or Z's...

Infiniti G37?

(If I were to get a convertible, it would be a folding hardtop.)

wideopenears
11-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks, Duncan, for the rec...agree, I've narrowed it down to hardtops, myself....

yogibear
11-18-2012, 06:59 PM
L-88 Camaro; gas guzzling high horsepower rocket ship on wheels.

Firth
11-21-2012, 06:54 PM
(At least - until a diesel electric comes out.).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/car-manufacturers/volvo/9690869/Volvo-starts-production-of-plug-in-diesel-hybrid.html
Volvo has started series production of its V60 Plug-in Hybrid ahead of first customer deliveries in early 2013. After an initial batch of 1,000 cars, which is already sold out, production will increase to 4,000-6,000 cars from model year 2014.

SuperTed
11-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Well, we're hooning around town in one of these at the moment

http://portal.motorplex.co.uk/image/shere500-D6D6C7A072DD361EC0F174EFC9EFA3C/1.lrg

It's great fun! :D

Duncan Glenday
11-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Well, we're hooning around town in one of these at the moment

http://portal.motorplex.co.uk/image/shere500-D6D6C7A072DD361EC0F174EFC9EFA3C/1.lrg

It's great fun! :D

Very cool! My parents had the original Fiat 500 when I was a kid, and one of my cycling buddies has the same car as yours (though - not the Abarth).

rapidfirerob
11-25-2012, 09:55 PM
You do realize you'll be doing more of the driving to concerts in the future Mr. Sporty, but no coupe sporty.

wideopenears
11-26-2012, 05:11 PM
I figured that would be part of the deal, yes. :lol

Shadow
12-03-2012, 08:15 PM
I usually get lucky finding used cars from customers I have done work for.

Firth
01-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Brian Smith with his 1966 Mini-cooper in 1970 image, Car was discovered recently in garage

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/brian-smith-with-his-1966-mini-cooper-in-1970-image-via-daily-mail_100406776_m.jpg

NogbadTheBad
01-06-2013, 12:55 PM
My first ever car was a little Mini 850, it was a rust bucket but I loved it.

Duncan Glenday
01-06-2013, 07:06 PM
My first was a Morris Minor 1000, but my second was a Mini. (Third was a Fiat 125.)

Shadow
01-06-2013, 10:12 PM
I've had 3 BMs and agree - they're great.

Do you think that's something you should be talking about on a public forum. ;)

roddenberry
01-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Year one of owning a 2012 Honda Civic 4-door sedan. Nice car, awesome sound system, very efficient on the gas and splendid roadholding... but uncomfortable.

Just can't get accustomed to the low roof and stupidly designed head rest, armrest is absolutely pointless and stupid hands free phone controls block my left hand from resting below the steering. My previous car, a 2008 Honda Fit, was by far the best vehicle I ever owned. At the end of this 4-year rental, I'm switching back to a Fit.

The only way I'm comfortable driving is with the seat at a near 90 degree angle, and with plenty of headroom. The Civic is literally designed to drive with the seat reclined at 130 degrees and the headrest is designed to accomodate a backwards baseball cap... Reminds you of anything? LOL. I went to Bethlehem this year with this car, and at the end of a 10-hr drive, my neck was aching SOOO bad!

My old man bangs his head on the door frame every time he steps in or out of the car, my mom literally has to roll out of the back to get out of the car. When I hit a road bump, I bang my head on the roof, even if the seat is at it's lowest position. Ergonomic design my ass! The Fit was so much more comfortable, it had more leg room and head room, plus the 8 or 9" shorter meant I was able to literally "fit" in any parking spot.

The Honda Civic is an excellent car... it's just not for me.

Robert

yogibear
01-27-2013, 01:45 PM
well i have been an Oldsmobile fan/owner since the old man was big into them. we had Olds and also drag raced a few of them. don't know why since Chevs were cheaper and easier to run and race .

once I go on my own i bought volkswagen, mazdas, toyotas, hondas and subaru's. the volks i had was '76 sedan like a rabbit i suppose. nice but not a keeper. the ones i kloved the most has been the honda civic hatchback, and the toyota rav 4. also had a mazda glc which was really a great car cept for the minor problem i had with the cooling water that went into the combustion cylinders so i had to add water like every 50 miles or so . lol

so my fave and best car would be the honda civis and the toyota rav 4. always wanted a L88 68 camaro but never got around to getting one. ;)

MudShark22
01-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Enjoying my Infiniti G35 now, though it's getting a bit old...

We finally decided that time was up on our 2001 Audi Allroad. Had only 55k miles but lots of annoying things were starting to go.
Bought a 2012 Infinti FX35 LE (only about 450 made for the US) and we love it (though it would have been better with the larger V8).

Under the tarp, I have a 1991 Mitsubishi GT3000 VR4 twin turbo AWD (24K original miles). Such a great car. Prior to that I had two Mustangs: 1986 Black GT and a 1968 GT convertible (painted '67 candy apple red. #s did not match)

Dave the Brave
02-06-2013, 02:50 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/02/04/jeremy_clarkson_s_p45_terrifying_ride_in_world_s_t iniest_car_video.html

My first two cars were envoy epics.
http://canadianbacon.picturepush.com/album/108256/3770244/Atlantic-Nationals-2010/Envoy-Epic.html

When both died I had enough parts from them to make another that ran. So I guess you could say my first 3 cars where Epics.

My fourth car was a Mercury Station wagon that took me to the Summer Jam in Watkins Glen N.Y.

That's a whole other story of which I don't have the time to tell right now.

DtB

NogbadTheBad
02-06-2013, 05:15 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/02/04/jeremy_clarkson_s_p45_terrifying_ride_in_world_s_t iniest_car_video.html

DtBDear God that little 'car' looks terrifying.

Firth
02-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Joe Flacco may be the first owner of the new 2014 Corvette (which he won):

http://cdn.cnwimg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/joe-flacco-corvette-stingray.jpg

Smörgåsbord
09-03-2014, 03:25 AM
All New Volvo XC90 - could it ever be a hit in US with a small 4 cylinder turbocharged engine?

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-volvo-xc90/

Firth
09-03-2014, 08:20 AM
All New Volvo XC90 - could it ever be a hit in US with a small 4 cylinder turbocharged engine?

Nice concept, but too Buicky on the inside, perhaps to attract someone with bucks. Also, not a Volvo unique issue, but the dual split speedometer and tach thru the steering wheel sucks. Need a central gauge (speedometer) with tach and other gauges to either side. Or user configurable, with tach or speedo center.

Duncan Glenday
09-03-2014, 10:50 AM

I think not. It will continue to have a small cult following in the US, but it won't be a "hit", IMO.

I rent a car every week (business travel) - and last week, I got the Volvo XC-60. I had one last year - which had the 5 cylinder. Last week's rental had the 4. I know that the 4 is more powerful, responsive, and economical - but it just does not have that smooth, effortless delivery you get from a 5 or a V6.

I know the trend is toward turbo 4s - but I can't see them ever being popular in the more expensive, upscale cars. BMW's 530i is now a 4 cylinder, and they've already seen a sharp drop-off in USA sales.

That said - I like the change in shape - it's more defined, and less of a round marshmallow shape, and based on those pictures I have no problem with the interior or the dash layout. The old XC-90 was way past its sell-by date, and the new one will be a welcome refresh. But I question if it will be able to hold its own against other SUVs in the same price range.