PDA

View Full Version : Nik Bartsch's Ronin Live

wideopenears
11-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Dunno if there's a thread on v3 for this, but there should be.
Man, what a great album. This thing is hypnotizing. I loved the studio stuff, but live they take it to another level. Anyone know anything else like this?

FredOCal
11-10-2012, 05:17 PM
I agree this album is killer. It's so hypnotic as you mentioned, yet so damn engaging. Once I put it on, I can't put it down. I also agree that these pieces were meant to be played live - it's definitely become my favorite work of theirs. I saw them live a few weeks ago, and that only strengthened my opinion. Although it sounds very different, the first side of what might be my favorite disc ever, "Love, Love" by Julian Priester & Pepo Mtoto has a similar hypnotic yet engaging vibe.

Udi Koomran
11-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Album of the year

NogbadTheBad
11-11-2012, 12:42 AM
I need to buy this

per anporth
11-11-2012, 04:33 AM
I need to buy this

You do! ;)

Steve F.
11-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Top 10 of the year for certain.

aplodon
11-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Is this better than the studio albums?

If I was to chose between buying this or two studio albums, what would you suggest?

wideopenears
11-11-2012, 05:21 PM
get the live album, if you need to choose....I think it's far better than the studio stuff, though I do love the studio stuff.

jkelman
11-11-2012, 09:57 PM
For those who didn't see it when it came out, my review at AAJ (http://j.mp/QeDApA). Great record. The big drag? Flight and baggage delays means I had to miss them when I arrived in Heidelberg on 10/29. Dammit!! :mad 282

wideopenears
11-12-2012, 11:15 AM
John, don't beat yourself up too much....I foolishly missed them at Yoshi's recently, and have been flogging myself since I heard the live album.

sotdude
11-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Yep, one of the best jazz albums of the year!!!

rottersclub
11-13-2012, 01:18 PM
On order. Very much looking forward to hearing it as I love the studio works (at least the ones on ECM).

N_Singh
11-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Ordered. On CD no less. :)

Sid Smith
11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Hi folks,
glad to see the love for Nik Bartsch's Ronin Live. Happy to say i was present when one of the tracks was recorded! Here's my take on the album (http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/ph8r)

NogbadTheBad
11-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Sid & John

Nice reviews, ok I'll buy it already, sheesh :D

rottersclub
11-13-2012, 05:00 PM
ok I'll buy it already, sheesh :D

Man, you can cut the peer pressure here with a machete! ;)

jkelman
11-13-2012, 11:04 PM
John, don't beat yourself up too much....I foolishly missed them at Yoshi's recently, and have been flogging myself since I heard the live album.
Well, I'm fortunate enough to have seen them before...twice...but really wanted to see 'em with the new bassist and as a four-pie. Am hearing really positive things.,..

rottersclub
11-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Spinning it now for the first time and yes, it's great. Lots of energy, and the now departed bassist really shines.

Thanks for the recommendation everyone, especially Udi. who seems to be on a mission to tell everyone about this fantastic band.

P.S. Stay safe, Brother Udi.

Udi Koomran
11-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Spinning it now for the first time and yes, it's great. Lots of energy, and the now departed bassist really shines.

Thanks for the recommendation everyone, especially Udi. who seems to be on a mission to tell everyone about this fantastic band.

P.S. Stay safe, Brother Udi.

Thanks man !

Haruspex Carnage
11-21-2012, 01:25 AM
Yeah, these guys didn't really click for me til this release...to me it's like Weather Report, Magma, Gordian Knot, with the textures/tonalities of modern jazz and stir...that being said i still think they're very "jammy" though too in some ways.

jkelman
11-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Yeah, these guys didn't really click for me til this release...to me it's like Weather Report, Magma, Gordian Knot, with the textures/tonalities of modern jazz and stir...that being said i still think they're very "jammy" though too in some ways.
Except they're not; improvisation actually plays a relatively small part in this music, which is actually quite rigorous and unfolds with the great care and patience to be expected , if you've ever met Nik.....

Haruspex Carnage
11-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Except they're not; improvisation actually plays a relatively small part in this music, which is actually quite rigorous and unfolds with the great care and patience to be expected , if you've ever met Nik.....

i think that's what i'm getting at AS the only drawback for me...when i say jammy i mean staying on one to two root note chords for a long time...not equating that with improvisation...although arguably it can be within solos yadda yadda.

jkelman
11-22-2012, 07:49 AM
i think that's what i'm getting at AS the only drawback for me...when i say jammy i mean staying on one to two root note chords for a long time...not equating that with improvisation...although arguably it can be within solos yadda yadda.
Like it or not isn't the issue, but repetition and slow, gradual evolution is what they do...it's a founding premise, more akin to minimalism with a backbeat. If it ain't yer cuppa, well, it ain't yer cuppa...just sayin' ... This is rigorously organized and developed music, whereas 'jammy' suggests something looser and sloppier...at least to me...

Spiral
11-22-2012, 09:59 AM
This is rigorously organized and developed music, whereas 'jammy' suggests something looser and sloppier...at least to me...

I wouldn't necessarily say sloppy, but yes, the term at least implies improvisation. It's not really fitting for Ronin. Grooving, absolutely... jammy, no.

rottersclub
11-22-2012, 10:09 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say sloppy, but yes, the term at least implies improvisation. It's not really fitting for Ronin. Grooving, absolutely... jammy, no.

+1

Facelift
04-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Does anybody know if these guys ever play in the US?

Also, does anybody know if Stoa or Holon were ever released on vinyl? Maybe it's just me, but all the lower-end resonance on these albums makes it seem like they would sound particularly awesome on vinyl.

NogbadTheBad
04-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Just to second others opinions, wonderful album.

Spiral
04-24-2013, 10:43 AM

They were just here last fall, but it was only for two or three shows at festivals on each coast. I don't imagine this kind of music having a lot of prospects for a 'proper' tour, tragic as that is.

Steve F.
04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
They play the US, at least sometimes. I saw them in Washington, DC several years ago. They were in the USA (west coast only, I believe) several months ago.

wideopenears
04-24-2013, 02:43 PM
They played Yoshi's here in the Bay Area a while back, and I'm still wearing the hair shirt because I missed them...

Facelift
04-24-2013, 03:10 PM
They play the US, at least sometimes. I saw them in Washington, DC several years ago. They were in the USA (west coast only, I believe) several months ago.

They played Yoshi's here in the Bay Area a while back, and I'm still wearing the hair shirt because I missed them...

Good to know. I'll put them on my radar. I'd love to see one of these shows.

E()
04-24-2013, 08:09 PM
Count me as a fan, particularly the live album.

jkelman
04-24-2013, 11:20 PM
My reviews of all four ECM albums can be found here (http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/review_center.php?in_artist=bartsch&in_album=&in_label=&in_author=kelman).

chalkpie
06-23-2015, 11:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YoHk9zdK0o

This kicks serious booty.

Udi Koomran
06-24-2015, 12:46 AM
Glad to see brother Frankie sinking his teeth into this

calyx
06-24-2015, 04:31 AM
I'm lucky that they seem to play Paris once or twice a year. Late last year as a trio, a few months ago again with Sha on bass clarinet, which I ultimately prefer.

Udi Koomran
06-24-2015, 05:52 AM
How does the current band ( new bass player and no percussion ) strike you
Both ex members were phenomenal players who contributed immensely to the Ronin sound

chalkpie
06-24-2015, 10:47 AM
Glad to see brother Frankie sinking his teeth into this

Loving it man. Thanks for showing me the way :up

I had heard/seen like a 5-minute YT clip a few years back but then pretty much forgot to check them out further, until you guys mentioned them on Ian's thread about minimalist jazz/rock. Really special stuff - I can see why you think so highly of this music. I can see the "spiritual" aspect too, not that dissimilar from Indian classical music in that respect. Still waiting on the 2-CD "Live" album in the mail.

chalkpie
06-24-2015, 10:50 AM
I'm lucky that they seem to play Paris once or twice a year. Late last year as a trio, a few months ago again with Sha on bass clarinet, which I ultimately prefer.

How did the trio come off? That octet (or whatever) above is wonderful in they can go in so many different directions.

Spiral
06-24-2015, 11:00 AM
That octet (or whatever) above is wonderful in they can go in so many different directions.
Then it's probably not Ronin, is it? My understanding was that that name is for the specific quartet, and Nik Bärtsch's Mobile is the outfit that can change configurations as needed.

Spiral
06-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Ah. Now that I open the vid in a new page, I see the title says Ronin Rhythm Clan. Maybe that was a name he used for a one-off or something.

chalkpie
06-24-2015, 11:20 AM
^ so that Octet is/was not the normal group?

calyx
06-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Regular line-up these days is piano / bass clarinet / electric bass / drum kit.

jkelman
06-24-2015, 11:49 AM
Ah. Now that I open the vid in a new page, I see the title says Ronin Rhythm Clan. Maybe that was a name he used for a one-off or something.
Not a one-off: an offshoot, saw them in Germany two years ago and they kicked ass. Think of Ronin but with a hen section giving it a little James Brown ;)

My review:

November 10, Alte Feuerwache Mannheim: Nik Bärtsch's Ronin Rhythm Clan

Swiss pianist Nik Bärtsch is one of the few artists that Enjoy Jazz Festival Director Rainer Kern invites back almost every year. And why not? He's an artist who has carved out a very specific musical niche, one that combines hypnotic elements of minimalism with some straight-up funk grooves, something that's been called "Zen funk" and "ritual groove music." His longstanding Ronin group has gone through some significant changes in the past couple years, with original bassist Bjørn Meyer leaving to focus more time on his own projects (in addition to Tunisian oudist Anouar Brahem, who will be at the festival with his Astounding Eyes of Rita group later in the festival), and, not long after that, losing percussionist Andi Pupato, leaving the group that, while together for considerably more years, began achieving greater international recognition for a series of ECM recordings that began with 2006's Stoa and can be heard, most recently, on 2012's Live, which featured Meyer's replacement, Thomy Jordi, on the two-CD set's closing track.

While that track made clear that, while Ronin would be changed, it would be in good hands with Jordi, it couldn't possibly prepare anyone for Bärtsch's 2013 Enjoy Jazz performance at the Alte Feuerwache. Labelled "Nik Bärtsch's Ronin Rhythm Clan," it was a significantly expanded version of Ronin, with remaining members Sha (bass clarinet) and Kasper Rast (drums) augmented by guitarist Manuel Troller and a three-piece horn section consisting of saxophonist/flautist Fabian Capaldi, trumpter/flugelhornist Martial in-Albon and trombonist Michael Flury. If the expectation was that this would be an amped up, more muscular version of Ronin, those feelings couldn't have been more wrong...and more right.

Read the rest of the review here (http://www.allaboutjazz.com/2013-enjoy-jazz-festival-by-john-kelman.php?pg=5) (scroll down).

jkelman
06-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Then it's probably not Ronin, is it? My understanding was that that name is for the specific quartet, and Nik Bärtsch's Mobile is the outfit that can change configurations as needed.
Not really. Mobile was an early group that hasn't worked in over a decade I think. Ronin, as the quartet it is now, is the core...the flagship group. But Nik is experimenting with other configurations around that core quartet and Rhythm Clab is one of them.

Spiral
06-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Man, it's a bitch to find simple straight info about this guy online sometimes even at his own site. Here's the first thing I found in a search for Rhythm Clan...

http://www.skopjejazzfest.com.mk/nik_bartsch_ronin_rhythm_clan.html

NIK BÄRTSCH piano
KASPAR RAST drums
THOMY JORDI bass
SHA bass-clarinet, saxophone
MANUEL TROLLER guitar
FABIAN CAPALDI saxophone, flute
MARTIAL IN-ALBON trumpet, flugelhorn
MICHAEL FLURY trombone

Ronin is, at heart, made up of piano, bass clarinet, bass and drums, releasing their last album, Live, on ECM as a quartet. Expanding this basic line-up with an electric guitar and wind/brass section is a testament to Bärtsch's musical vision and incessant desire to explore. Although the structure of the music remains the same, the enlarged ensemble adds new dimensions that become more evident in live performance.

jkelman
06-24-2015, 11:56 AM
How does the current band ( new bass player and no percussion ) strike you
Both ex members were phenomenal players who contributed immensely to the Ronin sound
Surprisingly, as a fan of the original group, paring down to a quartet actually leaves (not surprisingly) more space while allowing the drummer more freedom. The result is even broader dynamics in the music. The new bassist, Thomy Jordi, is a very different player than Björn Meyer...and that's a good thing. He brings a different kind of energy and restrained but clear virtuosity to the group, it still sounds like Ronin as a four-piece...but, at the same time different. I'll not say better, but I'll certainly say just as good, without reservation.

jkelman
06-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Man, it's a bitch to find simple straight info about this guy online sometimes even at his own site. Here's the first thing I found in a search for Rhythm
Of course if you'd read my review below you'd have seen the full personnel listed (now conveniently bolded) ;)

Spiral
06-24-2015, 11:58 AM
Not a one-off: an offshoot ... Read the rest of the review here (http://www.allaboutjazz.com/2013-enjoy-jazz-festival-by-john-kelman.php?pg=5) (scroll down).
Thanks! Somehow I'd missed that one (and didn't see your post until after mine). Good to learn something, even if I'm a couple years late.

And according to their official fb, it seems Mobile's still been active (https://www.facebook.com/nikbaertschsRONIN/posts/10153311990646392) as recently as April.

Hobo Chang Ba
06-25-2015, 01:20 AM
Did the 'Rhythm Clan' release anything?

Sorry if this was made clear somewhere in the thread.

zombywoof
06-25-2015, 09:06 AM
I bought this! It's great. The only other band I know of who can take me on this kind of journey is Magma.

jkelman
06-25-2015, 10:26 AM
And according to their official fb, it seems Mobile's still been active (https://www.facebook.com/nikbaertschsRONIN/posts/10153311990646392) as recently as April.
That must be a revival, as last time I saw Nik he told me Mobile was not working, nice to see him bring in it back! Thanks for the info!
John

chalkpie
07-01-2015, 02:06 PM
This just came in the mail today. Will report, sirs.

Udi Koomran
07-01-2015, 02:19 PM
:up
take the time to absorb

Spiral
07-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Did the 'Rhythm Clan' release anything?
Not as yet. Unfortunately.

NogbadTheBad
07-01-2015, 04:17 PM

zombywoof
07-01-2015, 05:23 PM
^ Haha, that took me a minute!

chalkpie
07-01-2015, 05:35 PM
^ I'm still not getting that! I might need explaining.

Pink dog balls?

NogbadTheBad
07-01-2015, 05:38 PM
It's "The Dogs Bollocks"

English slang for, "its really excellent"

chalkpie
07-01-2015, 05:42 PM
^ Ha! OK I was close at least with dogs and balls.

I think Nik Bartsch needs a tune called "Pink Dog Balls" now.

Hobo Chang Ba
07-02-2015, 01:47 AM
Not as yet. Unfortunately.

Damn.

Thanks for the answer though.

chalkpie
07-05-2015, 06:14 AM
Disc one tasted. Love it! Great live engineering as well. This music is an experience akin to Magma in a way.

Udi Koomran
07-05-2015, 08:49 AM
Disc one tasted. Love it! Great live engineering as well. This music is an experience akin to Magma in a way.

The sound is indeed awesome but if I am not mistaken there are a few spots were for the very first time on a ECM album I was bothered by loudness and clipping ... and I am sure it has to do with the mastering
and yes this music has a spiritual dimension with even moments of trance

chalkpie
07-05-2015, 10:53 PM
^Hmmm....didn't hear any clipping yet...ignorance is bliss :up

GREAT music.

Udi Koomran
07-06-2015, 12:13 AM
The peaks on the later part Modul 45 for example 10:06 , 10:52 - 11:11
its weird cause overall this is one of the best sounding live albums I own

Frankie I am wondering how you will re act to the studio albums since your first exposure is to the live recording
I first heard the Wilisau Jazz Festival recording and later when hearing the studio version on Stoa they seemed to have less "sparK"
It often happens that the first version one hears remain the favorites

chalkpie
07-06-2015, 10:27 AM
The peaks on the later part Modul 45 for example 10:06 , 10:52 - 11:11
its weird cause overall this is one of the best sounding live albums I own

Frankie I am wondering how you will re act to the studio albums since your first exposure is to the live recording
I first heard the Wilisau Jazz Festival recording and later when hearing the studio version on Stoa they seemed to have less "sparK"
It often happens that the first version one hears remain the favorites

To be honest, I will probably just live with these two live albums for a while, but generally I prefer live shit over studio as long as the sonics are up to snuff, especially music like this and Magma, where the overall arch has an energy that is difficult to replicate in the studio. I'm really glad I am discovering this band though - I think that this stuff and Jack 'O the Clock are the two most recent 'prog' discoveries that have made the biggest impression for me in the past few months. One aspect that I also really appreciate on Ronin is fact that they didn't go for the obvious blowing over the whole thing as in most things jazz. It seems to me that the subtle interaction and emphasis on the composition shines brighter than displaying the individual chops of the players.

As far as the clipping, I'm sure you are more sensitive to it (obviously) than the average Joe Walsh fans like us. And yes, great recording on those gigs.

Spiral
07-06-2015, 10:44 AM
generally I prefer live shit over studio as long as the sonics are up to snuff
Fwiw, there's also a live one from their early phase.

http://iapetus-store.com/album/live

That whole era has enough of a different sound to make it distinct from the ECM years (mainly because there was little or no sax/clarinet), but this album sort of makes a complement/summation to it, the same way 2012's Live does for their second phase.

I definitely understand about just living with one, though. When I bought my first Ronin, it excited me enough to grab a couple others pretty quick, but I wound up not really listening to them for months. It felt better to give each one time to digest on its own.

Udi Koomran
07-06-2015, 11:03 AM
One aspect that I also really appreciate on Ronin is fact that they didn't go for the obvious blowing over the whole thing as in most things jazz. It seems to me that the subtle interaction and emphasis on the composition shines brighter than displaying the individual chops of the players.

Totally agree
One of the reasons I love this is the lack of that typical jazz "ego" attitude of showing off your virtuosi they all serve the music as a collective with a sense of restraint and discipline and are in no rush to demonstrate their chops
This band played more then 700 shows and this album demonstrates this well oiled machine

wideopenears
07-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Bjorn Meyer also plays bass with the oud player, Anour Brahem. That's some cool stuff, as well.

Glad everyone's digging the live album. I still play it quite a bit....

Udi Koomran
07-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Bjorn Meyer is amazing

chalkpie
07-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Bjorn Meyer also plays bass with the oud player, Anour Brahem. That's some cool stuff, as well.

I think I have a disc with Brahem and Jan Garbarek? I'll have to check.

kenschwartz
03-29-2018, 10:26 AM
resurrecting an old thread here, and slightly re-purposing, as this looks like it was originally about the live album, as opposed to live shows...

anyway, a friend pointed out that they are doing an east coast tour in may. considering doing the drive from albany to either nyc or boston (same distance...but boston is an easier drive, and it's a saturday...so leaning that way). wondering if anyone has seen him/them live and has any comments worth sharing.

btw, here's the link for the shows:

//http://www.nikbaertsch.com/konzerte/ (http://www.nikbaertsch.com/konzerte/)

battema
03-29-2018, 10:28 AM
Might need to edit the link, remove the two // at the start :)

battema
03-29-2018, 10:30 AM
Nifty! A DC date in early September :D

I'M CLOSING IN ON YER BRAGGING RIGHTS, IAN :lol

kenschwartz
03-29-2018, 10:31 AM
Might need to edit the link, remove the two // at the start :)

done. thanks, john!

NogbadTheBad
03-29-2018, 10:35 AM
Nifty! A DC date in early September :D

I'M CLOSING IN ON YER BRAGGING RIGHTS, IAN :lol

Bought a ticket for the Boston show yesterday ! :D

Looks like a new album coming as well.

Steve F.
03-29-2018, 10:41 AM
my wife and I are going.
That's where we saw him a decade ago.

battema
03-29-2018, 10:41 AM
Bonus excellent news!

Ronin would be a killer pick for Big Ears. Surprised it hasn't happened yet, actually...unless it is just a scheduling/timing issue.

battema
03-29-2018, 10:42 AM
my wife and I are going.
That's where we saw him a decade ago.

Fantastic!!

kenschwartz
03-29-2018, 10:54 AM
Bought a ticket for the Boston show yesterday ! :D

Looks like a new album coming as well.

Ian - any idea if the place they are playing is standing or sitting? (for the audience, not the band :) )

proggy_jazzer
03-29-2018, 10:59 AM
A Chicago show!! A Thursday night might be doable for me, especially if I bundle it into a long weekend in the city, which always appeals to my wife. Anyone have any experience with the venue there, Constellation?

NogbadTheBad
03-29-2018, 11:00 AM
It's a small room, there are some benches to sit on on one side if you get there very early, they are grabbed quickly, otherwise its either sitting on the floor if everyone decides to do that or standing. I've seen both happen at that venue depending on the band.

kenschwartz
03-29-2018, 11:05 AM
It's a small room, there are some benches to sit on on one side if you get there very early, they are grabbed quickly, otherwise its either sitting on the floor if everyone decides to do that or standing. I've seen both happen at that venue depending on the band.

they are definitely a 'sit on the floor' band to me - especially because my right leg will most likely start throbbing and go numb if i stand the whole time.

aging sucks

Steve F.
03-29-2018, 11:08 AM
Nifty! A DC date in early September

May!

NogbadTheBad
03-29-2018, 11:10 AM
May!

Damn those European date formats!

battema
03-29-2018, 11:16 AM
May!

Come on Europe, make dates great again!!! :down :down

Thanks very much for that catch Steve! I'm assuming you fine folks are doing the 8 PM show?

zappaeverafter
03-29-2018, 11:20 AM
Nice! And finally. Got a ticket for Chicago show. Notifying my local friends which will garner more attendance. Thanks for the head's up!!

Steve F.
03-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Come on Europe, make dates great again!!!

:lol

Thanks very much for that catch Steve! I'm assuming you OLD folks are doing the 8 PM show?

Fixed it for you and yes!

arturs
03-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Nice! And finally. Got a ticket for Chicago show. Notifying my local friends which will garner more attendance. Thanks for the head's up!!

Of course I am scheduled to teach that day, 9 am until 5:30 PM. *^%*#!!. No way to get to Chi-town unless I let the class out a good 90 mins. early. Hmmm...

markwoll
03-29-2018, 12:17 PM
8pm Blues Alley FTW! Wow, what a treat.

battema
03-29-2018, 12:34 PM
:lol

Fixed it for you and yes!

The $12 minimum can't be put toward prune juice cocktails, just for knowing grandpa... :lol

(got my ticket, very excited to see them for the first time!)

Buddhabreath
03-29-2018, 12:55 PM
Just bought my tics for Blues Alley. :up

Udi Koomran
03-29-2018, 01:25 PM
lucky bastards !

Spiral
04-15-2018, 05:05 PM
Huh. Here's a preview. I don't think I've ever seen an ECM release on Bandcamp before.

https://roninrhythmrecords.bandcamp.com/album/awase

chalkpie
04-15-2018, 07:06 PM
I don't think I've ever seen an ECM release on Bandcamp before.

Well, it is the 90's now.....

Kcrimso
04-19-2018, 07:32 AM
Huh. Here's a preview. I don't think I've ever seen an ECM release on Bandcamp before.

https://roninrhythmrecords.bandcamp.com/album/awase

ECM is even on Spotify nowadays.

Spiral
04-19-2018, 05:58 PM
ECM is even on Spotify nowadays.
Yeah, I knew about the streaming thing, but didn't think ECM had worked out a deal for actual digital sales (outside the most obvious spots like Itunes). I figured it'd be much more complicated to permit catalogue stuff to be distributed by individual artists that way... though obviously there's no reason they can't work out those deals with new releases as they go.

Steve F.
04-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I knew about the streaming thing, but didn't think ECM had worked out a deal for actual digital sales (outside the most obvious spots like Itunes). I figured it'd be much more complicated to permit catalogue stuff to be distributed by individual artists that way... though obviously there's no reason they can't work out those deals with new releases as they go.

No.

The same digital aggregators who put stuff up digitally on iTunes (which ECM, IIRC, was on, BEFORE they did streaming) also supply to streaming services. In fact, with all these aggregators, the default is that your catalog is supplied to ALL digital services and if you don’t want streaming, you have to be very specific in your contract language, as we are, to NOT have streaming.

Having said all that, BandCamp is the exception; BandCamp is not supplied by digital aggregators, it’s done solely by labels or artists, afaik. Notice that this BandCamp clip is under the rubric of Ronan Rhythm, NOT ECM....

Spiral
04-27-2018, 06:12 PM
Hey, it looks like this short leg isn't the end. AAJ's interview (https://www.allaboutjazz.com/nik-bartsch-possibility-in-paradox-nik-bartsch-by-geno-thackara.php?page=1) has Nik saying that they're coming back later in the year and hitting the west coast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoayGjBdBF0

rcarlberg
04-29-2018, 12:10 AM
That might be something I’d drag my lazy ass out to see.

If the venue allows donkeys.

kenschwartz
05-04-2018, 07:42 AM
i suppose i will be hearing a bunch of this tomorrow: https://roninrhythmrecords.bandcamp.com/album/awase

(and then probably buying it)

NogbadTheBad
05-05-2018, 10:13 PM
Absolutely phenomenal show tonight super funky with drums and bass front and center, grooved and grooved. Loved it, was nice to meet you Ken and your friends, safe drive home.

Rarebird
05-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Saw a part of his performance on Dutch television, quite interesting.
https://www.vpro.nl/vrije-geluiden/media~VPWON_1283605~agnes-gosling-the-old-ditch-riverhoppers-nik-b%C3%A4rtsch-s-ronin~.html

markwoll
05-06-2018, 09:03 AM
Ian, how was the sound level? Funky rocking, or Jazzy funking?

Steve F.
05-06-2018, 09:09 AM
^^^^

They were on the louder side (not crazy but very electric) at Blues Alley a decade ago; I’m expecting the same this week.

NogbadTheBad
05-06-2018, 09:26 AM
Ian, how was the sound level? Funky rocking, or Jazzy funking?

I actually put my ear buds in during the second song, they weren't RAWK loud but certainly louder than most jazz I've heard other than Jaga Jazzist and the like. The drums were very high in the mix but that may have been where I was sitting right in front on Kaspar. They didn't drown out anything else but dominated.

markwoll
05-06-2018, 09:35 AM
My wife is coming along and I want to make sure she is prepared.
The recordings tend to be on the quieter side.

kenschwartz
05-06-2018, 10:40 AM
Absolutely phenomenal show tonight super funky with drums and bass front and center, grooved and grooved. Loved it, was nice to meet you Ken and your friends, safe drive home.

Nice meeting you as well. Didn't get home til after 2 AM, but it was worth it.

Don't tell John I was wearing an Ephemeral Sun t-shirt...we wouldn't want it to go to his head.

As for others question about the volume - I had my ear-plugs in my pocket but never took them out. there were times it got a bit loud, but it never warranted the ear plugs. Of course, that might also be a statement about my hearing :)
Honestly, tho, if you put them in you would miss so much of the subtlety of the quieter sections that you would taking them out and putting them backing in over and over.

Ken

markwoll
05-06-2018, 01:33 PM
I use 15 db filters for a show like that. 9 would probably be ideal but those I don't have now.

mike_hunt
05-09-2018, 11:48 PM
Excellent show tonight in DC. Well worth the trip up from North Carolina. Nice that they let the early show people stay for the late show too! I think 2 songs were repeated, but the rest were different.

Steve F.
05-10-2018, 12:10 AM
That DC show was one of the greatest shows I have ever seen!

aith01
05-10-2018, 12:15 AM
I really need to check this stuff out...

battema
05-10-2018, 06:33 AM

Agreed...it was really, really great :up They pulled that stuff off outstandingly well, and it was awesome. Very glad to finally have them off my bucket list :)

Steve F.
05-10-2018, 08:08 AM
There were moments where I thought my eyes were going to roll back into my head and I would start speaking in tongues.

Second set was actually more intense!

battema
05-10-2018, 08:09 AM
WOW...that is impressive, given how amazing the first set was!

Really marvelous :) :up

markwoll
05-10-2018, 09:01 AM

It really was a great show.
Of the 13 bands I have seen in the last 2 weeks, easily the best.
Now I just have to figure out how to get to Zurich on a Monday. ;)

proggy_jazzer
05-10-2018, 09:20 AM
What's the aural equivalent of one's mouth watering? Just getting ready to head out Chicago-bound for tonight's show. It's gonna be hard not to get caught speeding!

NogbadTheBad
05-10-2018, 09:24 AM
There were moments where I thought my eyes were going to roll back into my head and I would start speaking in tongues.

All three times I've seen him I'm found myself going into a trance like state with a silly grin on my face. I got the same thing with The Necks.

Buddhabreath
05-10-2018, 09:44 AM

Damn! That first set was too short for my tastes, seemed to fly by in a minute. They certainly exhibited their mastery of the "precise groove".

Unfortunately I had to go after the first set because my wife had to get up at Fuck-me O' Clock and I had to get up at Son-of-a-bitch O' Clock.

proggy_jazzer
05-12-2018, 09:14 AM
Back from Chicago and have time to gather a few thoughts. Drove the 5 1/2 hours into town, found our AirBnB (a 5 minute walk from the club, and two blocks from a great italian restaurant and a very cool taproom), had dinner and a couple pops, and walked to the club. Constellation is an interesting and funky space which seats I'd guess 150-200 max. Half the seating in a 3/4 round configuration is tall cushioned (old) theatre seats in steep rows with good sightlines. They also had about 80 or so folding chairs directly in front of the band. Good lighting, decent sound. Ronin played two sets (actually one set proper plus an "encore" set that was quite long) for a total of somewhere between 90 minutes and two hours - didn't check my watch - with very few breaks for talking.

Holy schweikies, what a band.

I've been to a few shows in my life where goosebumps happened on a regular basis, and this was definitely one. In spite of the instrumentation, this is a band of four percussionists, locked together perfectly. Playing every Monday for ten-plus years will do that, I suppose. Bärtsch is other-worldly in his left/right hand independence, and added huge amounts of rhythmic information by way of creative extended techniques on the piano: muting with the hands, with soft objects laid on the strings, striking the strings and the case parts with soft mallets, and playing harmonics. He also made some use of a small keyboard in the place of his usual rhodes for tonal variety. If I had one complaint, it was that the piano was lower in the mix than I would have liked. I have a feeling that it was at least partially due to the quality of the instrument the club had for him to use; an older 7' Yamaha is just never going to sound as good or as rich as the Hamburg Steinway D that he uses on his recordings, not to mention the difficulties of micing a piano in a live situation. He made the most of it, though, and the balance issues seemed to get solved to a certain extent during the course of the show. Sha was amazing: I didn't fully realize how much percussive impact he has on the band until I saw him live. His use of slap-tonguing, ghosting, and just using the key noise on both the bass clarinet and alto sax was an integral part of the band sound, and I'll listen to the albums differently from now on. Thomy Jordi is a wonderful player, with a great sound, rock-solid rhythmic chops, and amazing command of harmonics both natural and false; he added melodic information through a range one doesn't usually expect from a bassist, and at the same time functioned as the center around which the rest of the band was free to roam. Kaspar Rast is mesmerizing to watch. His kit was beautifully tuned and organized with a variety of sounds, and he made the most complicated poly-rhythms seem effortless - one of my favorite traits in a drummer.

The band as a whole had complete control of dynamics. The loudest, busiest passages could turn on a dime to silence and back again. One long decrescendo during the encore set was particularly striking, and pulled off with no loss of tempo or energy; any musician knows this is one of the most difficult things for an ensemble to execute. At times the band seemed to absolutely levitate, and I had a silly grin on my face the whole time. The crowd was into it and showed appreciation during the pieces and in the few breaks where Nik would stop and speak. He said this was actually the first time the band had been in Chicago, and I hope they found the experience positive enough that it won't be the last. I know I was glad to be there!

Udi Koomran
05-12-2018, 02:10 PM
if I could only persuade Michel Beset ...

proggy_jazzer
05-18-2018, 11:20 AM
If you weren't able to make it to any of the NA shows this time around, this was posted this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-myiMTOkPU

This is how the Chicago concert began.

NogbadTheBad
06-07-2018, 02:15 PM
Featured in bandcamps best of Jazz for May

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/06/07/best-bandcamp-jazz-may-2018/?utm_source=notification

alucard
06-08-2018, 09:28 AM
if I could only persuade Michel Beset ...
yes ,
Ronin and Goat at the RIO would be great.

kenschwartz
09-25-2018, 11:06 AM
Resurrecting this thread since i just found out ronin is playing live in the (or...my) area soon (http://www.nikbaertsch.com/konzerte/).

boston on a tuesday night might be do-able if the show really does start at 7:30....

anyway, i'm sure others here will find some interest in this (i'm looking at you, ian)

battema
09-25-2018, 11:09 AM
They're booked for Big Ears in March!!! That will be such an awesome opportunity for them.

kenschwartz
09-25-2018, 11:10 AM
They're booked for Big Ears in March!!! That will be such an awesome opportunity for them.

yeah, i saw that. made me think "wonder if they are doing other US shows in march" - was (pleasantly) surprised to find them playing in oct/nov

battema
09-25-2018, 11:18 AM
Yeah...at the DC show I actually caught Nik for a few moments and told him they would be a GREAT fit for Big Ears. He mentioned something about trying to figure out how to book it, and that he was aware...I guess they figured it out :D

Steve F.
09-25-2018, 11:28 AM
Their show earlier this year was the best show of the year for me. Hands down.

Recommended.

NogbadTheBad
09-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Resurrecting this thread since i just found out ronin is playing live in the (or...my) area soon (http://www.nikbaertsch.com/konzerte/).

boston on a tuesday night might be do-able if the show really does start at 7:30....

anyway, i'm sure others here will find some interest in this (i'm looking at you, ian)

I already have my ticket for the Boston gig so I'll see you there. Actually bought it while in a cue to get on a plane going to RIO :)

Recommended.

Yup, their show earlier this year was outstanding.

kenschwartz
09-25-2018, 12:29 PM
I already have my ticket for the Boston gig so I'll see you there.

not sure if i can make it yet...trying to work out the logistics. 6 hour drive (round trip) for 1.5-ish hour of music can be a bit of a tough sell, esp when i have to be at work the next day

battema
09-25-2018, 12:29 PM

Yup, their show earlier this year was outstanding.

+1 from me...great, great, great show.

per anporth
11-12-2018, 08:48 AM
So, I finally managed to catch Nik Bärtsch's Ronin live, at Southampton on Friday. (The venue, called Turner Sims, is in the midst of a remarkable run of weekly jazz gigs - Tord Gustavsen, Laura Judd's Dinosaur, Rymden (the new collaboration between Bugge Wesseltoft & Dan Berglund & Magnus Östrum) as well as Ronin.)

The first news was disappointing - bassist Thomy Jordi had been unable to travel from the continent, due to illness. I was slightly apprehensive, given how much of the Ronin (ritual) groove is bass driven...

...After an excellent 15 minute opener (one of the more "well-known" Moduls), & an introduction by Nik, the band proceeded to perform a continuous series of Moduls for the next hour. Possibly as a consequence of being reduced to an acoustic 3 piece, the emphasis for the better part of half of this series was on experimental sonic explorations rather than the more driving grooves for which Ronin are perhaps better known. In some ways, I think that my preference - certainly if asked in advance - would have been for this latter sort of music...but I must confess that these exploratory works became more & more entrancing.

At times, it seemed as if the band were exploring the very material conditions of the instruments from which they produce their music - there would be sections were Bärtsch was rhythmically sounding various interior structures of his piano, Rast was playing patterns of rim shots, whilst Shå experimented with patterns of pure breath through his bass clarinet.

Then, the final 10-15 minutes erupted into an extended groove, which felt like an exhilarating release.

Throughout, Shå was extraordinary. On record, I think I have tended to underestimate his playing. Here, though, it felt like he often carried the band, taking on extra responsibilities to cover for the absent bass, whilst still playing lead lines. At one point towards the climax, whilst driving the music forward with repeated bass lines, he added a series of mouthed/voiced rhythmical embellishments, which sounded something like a cross between Arve Henricksen & Robert Wyatt's sung trumpet!

Although the auditorium was maybe only half full, the performance was rapturously received - to the evident delight of the band!

(It would be hard to imagine a greater contrast between this gig & King Crimson, whom I saw, also for the first time, 10 days previously - & yet each, in their distinctive ways, represented musical experiences which have rarely, if ever, been surpassed for me.)

taliesin
03-11-2024, 09:18 PM
Reviving this thread in case anyone doesn't know that Nik Bartsch and Ronin are playing in New York and Toronto next week - I assume as warmups for Big Ears.

Not surprised about the NY show but I am surprised and very happy to be able to see them in Toronto at the Drake Underground which is a fairly cosy venue.

Looking forward to it.

NogbadTheBad
03-11-2024, 09:40 PM
They play Boston the day after Big Ears but I reckon I'll be wiped.

boilk
03-11-2024, 09:54 PM
Reviving this thread in case anyone doesn't know that Nik Bartsch and Ronin are playing in New York and Toronto next week - I assume as warmups for Big Ears.

Not surprised about the NY show but I am surprised and very happy to be able to see them in Toronto at the Drake Underground which is a fairly cosy venue.

Looking forward to it.

Yes, really cool that they are playing there. After the Toronto show, I'll be straight home to bed, so I can get up and start driving to Big Ears the next day, ha.

Neil

boilk
03-11-2024, 09:56 PM
They play Boston the day after Big Ears but I reckon I'll be wiped.

C'mon Ian, you're retired now. You can catch up on sleep, on demand, ha. Of course, I say this, but I might be exhausted after four days as well, and then intended to drive all the way home in one.

Neil

moecurlythanu
03-11-2024, 11:26 PM
Thanks so much for posting about these extra dates. They're far too far away for me to attend, but I thought I'd check around an see if any other dates are on the tour. I found a site with a Vancouver date, so I decided to keep looking. And...whaddaya know? On Bartsch's site I found that on Sunday March 24, he's playing an hour and a half gig in a church in Ohio City (Cleveland.) I will be there! So thanks again for bringing this to my attention.

Steve F.
03-12-2024, 05:34 AM
DC on 3/26 in a beautiful but tiny hall. Sold out.

flytomars
03-12-2024, 09:08 AM

Looking forward to it.

I will be there in NY before heading to Big Ears, however it is the same day as Sleepytime Gorilla museum in NYC! oof...