PDA

View Full Version : can you "unfriend" without people knowing.

Esoteric
04-16-2013, 04:27 PM
has anyone actually "unfriended" people just because they seem to be obsessives posting endless photos about cats, dogs, monkeys etc.

I really like cats and dogs as much as most, but some people seem to obsessively be on there 5 or 6 times a day posting animal pics. I feel quite guilty unfriending anyone (and I have a lot of people I dont actually know on there ) but sometimes it takes me such a while to wade through all this and they are "big" pics. . Its not the people who do this a few times a week, its the ones at it virtually non stop I have issues with.

Does it trigger an email alert etc if you "unfriend" anyone? I dont want someone to get the hump.

JKL2000
04-16-2013, 04:29 PM
I don't think it notifies them. But if they're posting to FB that much, chances are they're too self-absorbed to really take much notice of someone unfriending them.

BTW, is it Todd Rundgren you're unfriending? :)

Jerjo
04-16-2013, 04:31 PM
You can either unfriend or just set the amount of updates you get from that person to "most important".

Dave (in MA)
04-16-2013, 04:32 PM
I assume you're talking about Facebook. Open up your annoying friend's page and hover your mouse over the Friends button and the menu that comes up will include Settings or Unfriend.
Short of Unfriending them, you can pick "Only Important" out of Settings and/or a bunch of separate types of updates that you want or don't want to see.

Esoteric
04-16-2013, 05:06 PM
I don't think it notifies them. But if they're posting to FB that much, chances are they're too self-absorbed to really take much notice of someone unfriending them.

BTW, is it Todd Rundgren you're unfriending? :)

Ha, ha---No, hes lovely and way too busy !!

Thanks for that Dave. I was just conscious of someone getting an alert thats says "vicky" has unfriended you etc, other than that as you say I dont think they would notice anyway, but you would be suprised how personal people take it, even if you dont personally know them, if its made obvious.

Jerjo
04-16-2013, 05:16 PM
I don't think people get a notice that they've been unfriended. Facebook doesn't send a notification about it.

Plasmatopia
04-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Facebook ought to have a cat/dog picture filter.

Shadow
04-16-2013, 06:44 PM
has anyone actually "unfriended" people just because they seem to be obsessives posting endless photos about cats, dogs, monkeys etc.

I did on Facebook. I really didn't know he person and didn't care if they find out or not. People must have nothing else to do than post useless bullshit. Just like one guy posted without Facebook how would 586 people know I just ate breakfast.

Adrian
04-16-2013, 07:00 PM
No, Facebook doesn't notify people that you've unfriended them.

If you want to hide their posts without unfriending, go to their page, hover over the "Friends" button, and uncheck "Show in News Feed." You'll never see another post.

I don't unfriend people over excessive posting, political rants, or whatever. I just take them off my news feed. Works as well as a mute button.

Esoteric
04-16-2013, 07:01 PM
The thing is I am genuinely interested in people and I do like animals, but the animal thing seems to have got out of hand--maybe its the mix I have on the "friends" front!! --its been overrun by the animal obsessives--will remove the worst offenders tommorrow..

trurl
04-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Yeah, you can basically take them out of your news feed without having to unfriend them.

WHORG
04-17-2013, 10:25 AM
http://img4-3.myrecipes.timeinc.net/i/recipes/ck/08/05/stuffed-cabbage-ck-1734281-l.jpg

Look what I'm eating for lunch today !!! Stuffed cabbages - and they are amazing.

Esoteric
04-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Now that Im ok with---!! Looks yummy.

Jerjo
04-17-2013, 11:03 AM

JKL2000
04-17-2013, 11:50 AM
http://whereareyourkeys.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/donkey_cart_accident.jpg

http://0.tqn.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/i/B/giantcat.jpg

Dave (in MA)
04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Be careful about these people getting hold of your primary e-mail address, lest you end up with all kinds of e-mails with subject lines like "FW: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: " and e-mail bodies filled with

> > > > > > ITS TRUE I CHECKED SNOPES LOL
> > > > > > > HA HA
> > > > > > > > LOL
> > > > >> > > > LMAO

Culminating in something you first saw in 1997.

trurl
04-17-2013, 02:27 PM
http://www.breakfastblogger.com/wp-content/photos/rabbit_pancake.gif

Rarebird
04-17-2013, 02:32 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/i/B/giantcat.jpg
Is that a real cat? Or did some use Photoshop?

ItalProgRules
04-17-2013, 03:56 PM
If I unfriend someone, I generally let them know I did, and more importantly, why I did it.

The #1 Reason - someone telling me what I can and cannot post on my own page.

I remember when Whitney Houston passed, there was a risque (but funny, IMHO) joke making the rounds. A week or so after her death, mind you, not immediately in the wake of it.

I forwarded the joke when it was sent to me by a friend. Just forwarded it. Didn't write it.

Two friends messaged me telling me what an insensitive asshole I was and ordering me to take it off my wall.

Well, nobody tells me what I can and cannot put on my wall. I messaged both of them and told them I was furious that they would presume to tell me what I can put on *my* wall.

One of those friends e-mailed me back, apologized, and told me he really worshipped Whitney Houston (this friend is ghey) and he admitted he took it out on me and apologized by phone that night.

No probs. But the other friend kept arguing with me so I unfriended him and told him why.

SteveSly
04-17-2013, 03:59 PM
So I have a related question. Is there a way to set up who's posts show up in your news feed? I know you can block people, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what shows up in my "news". If I try to scroll through "most recent" it takes forever. I don't necissarily want to unfriend people, but it would nice to be able to have just some of my friends show up in "news" in order to skim things down a bit.

Every time I think I have facebook figured out, they change things and it seems like I have to start all over again.

Steve Sly

Steve Sly

ItalProgRules
04-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Steve, you can set your preferences to show "only important" posts, "most posts" or "hide all" posts in your news feed from a particular friend, without them knowing and without unfriending them.

Just hover your curser over the name of the sender, select "Friends" and then "settings" from the drop-down menu, and then you can make the change.

Bill

Jerjo
04-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Well, nobody tells me what I can and cannot put on my wall.

That's where I draw the line as well. I don't mind a reasoned debate but I have no hesitation to delete someone's rant and then unfriend if I think they're out of line. I've only done it three times and I've been on FB since it got released from its college confines.

rapidfirerob
04-17-2013, 05:37 PM
I usually just remove their posts from making it to my page, but I have unfriended a few people. I don't tell them though.
I try to be careful who I friend, but one never knows what people might post.

Shadow
04-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Is that a real cat? Or did some use Photoshop?

That's a real cat, just not a real person. ;)

3LockBox
04-18-2013, 12:45 AM
I haven't unfriended anyone, but have hidden several friends, especially the ones that perpetuate the overtly religious and patriotic billboards that implore you to "repost this if you aren't ashamed blah blah blah" (see signature).

I myself was unfriended by two "friends" because I merely suggested that the 'angel' who put a three year old girl in a chest freezer to protect her from the tornado might have got his ass chewed when he got back to heaven as it only takes 8 minutes for a three year to suffocate in a small chest freezer (one of many bullshit stories floating around FB). And then there's the plethora of people I know who are proud parents and grandparents and post about them hourly.

Esoteric
04-19-2013, 06:57 PM
yep I sorted it and have way less cats and donkeys etc---they are all on here now--LOl!! serves me right for mentioning it, although these ones are rather cute.