PDA

View Full Version : Explosions reported at finish line of Boston Marathon

The Fantastic Progo Rican
04-15-2013, 03:25 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/16/us/explosions-reported-at-site-of-boston-marathon.html?hp&_r=0

Scott Bails
04-15-2013, 03:26 PM
WTF is wrong with this world?

Facelift
04-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Three dead and dozens injured is what I'm hearing right now.

wideopenears
04-15-2013, 03:58 PM
WTF indeed.

Scott Bails
04-15-2013, 04:28 PM
So, two explosions at the finish line. Then, an unexploded device that was found and then safely detonated. Now, two more unexploded devices found.

This wasn't an accident, folks.

Progmatic
04-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Fuck! :o(

spellbound
04-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Horrifying. I just saw some pictures I'm never going to be able to unsee. My heart goes out to those people who started the day thinking they were competing in a race, only to be bombed. It's a sick world that just seems to keep getting sicker.

Plasmatopia
04-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Thoughts go out to the victims...this sucks!

Gladiator1634
04-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Hopefully they get these sick Bastards ASAP....Prayers out to all injured and effected

Facelift
04-15-2013, 05:30 PM
The NY Post is reporting that a Saudi national is being held in connection with the bombings.

Saudi nationals involved in terrorist attacks against the US? I guess that means another war with Iraq, right? :P

progeezer
04-15-2013, 05:30 PM
The assholy jihad is back!

I doubt very much this was domestic but rather international.

Healing thoughts for the injured & their families.

Dave (in MA)
04-15-2013, 05:53 PM
2 good things in all this mess: The reported death toll is 2 rather than 3, and the report of other explosions have been controlled detonations, and in the case of a report of another bomb at the JFK Library, that was apparently an electrical fire.

paythesnuka
04-15-2013, 06:17 PM
The NY Post is reporting that a Saudi national is being held in connection with the bombings.

Don't know what to believe when it comes to the Post. They are also reporting that 12 people were killed, yet every other news source is reporting two deaths.

wideopenears
04-15-2013, 06:50 PM
Sad, and my hearts are with anyone who was impacted by this thing....

I read that one of the devices was placed near a reserve seating area for the Newtown spectators.....horrible if true.

Jerjo
04-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Boston Police Commissioner said NO suspects being held at this time.

Oreb
04-15-2013, 07:41 PM

I doubt very much this was domestic but rather international. Time will tell, but in reality at this point in time you have no idea about the origins of this attack, just your prejudices and fears. How does posting from that ignorance contribute to "healing thoughts"?

progeezer
04-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Time will tell, but in reality at this point in time you have no idea about the origins of this attack, just your prejudices and fears. How does posting from that ignorance contribute to "healing thoughts"?The word "doubt" indicates uncertainty, as in "I have no idea". Fears -yes, prejudices - absolutely not, and if you knew me better you would know what bullshit that is.

Ignorance is rampant everywhere. Sometimes ignorance emanates from people projecting what other people think. Voicing someone's gut feeling while clarifying it with the caveat that it's only an opinion is not ignorance.

BTW, I hope to be proved wrong.

Yanks2014
04-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Horrible news, but we should wait till a lot of this is confirmed. Could take a while. As usual there were all kinds of wild reports of what happened, most not close to reality. Bottom line, this is really bad and should send a chill up everyone's spine. Thank goodness this didn't happen at the start of the race, the death toll would have been catastrophic.

Facelift
04-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Boston Police Commissioner said NO suspects being held at this time.

This story is now being reported in numerous media outlets . The suspect is Saudi and is being interrogated and is in the hospital behind armed guards.

Shadow
04-15-2013, 10:28 PM
Has anyone heard from John Collinge. I believe he lives in Massachusetts, but maybe not Boston.

Sputnik
04-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Has anyone heard from John Collinge. I believe he lives in Massachusetts, but maybe not Boston.
John lives in Lowell. It's unlikely he was in Boston today.

I was at work today near South Station. We didn't hear or notice anything and it was surprisingly easy to get home on the train at about 4:15. It will be interesting going in tomorrow, though, and probably for the next couple of weeks. Very surreal seeing places I know well like the Lenox Hotel, Lord & Taylor, etc. in that condition. I feel awful for the people who were killed or hurt, and their families.

Bill

ronmac
04-15-2013, 10:54 PM
The Saudi has not been labeled a suspect. He was injured and found blocks away with burns. He's being treated and questioned. Officially, there are no suspects.

Obscured
04-16-2013, 01:17 AM
2 good things in all this mess: The reported death toll is 2 rather than 3, and the report of other explosions have been controlled detonations, and in the case of a report of another bomb at the JFK Library, that was apparently an electrical fire.
Copy of ABC news headline here in NYC = A child is one of 3 people dead and at least 144 injured after two bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

There are NO good things about this mess.

Shadow
04-16-2013, 07:40 AM
There are NO good things about this mess.

I think everyone understood what Dave meant.

davis
04-16-2013, 08:36 AM
The anti-bomb people will be out in droves at any minute, demanding stricter bomb-control laws. But seriously, I hope the sick, twisted person/people that did this get caught & punished ASAP.

Lopez
04-16-2013, 08:53 AM
I used to work on Boylston street in Boston right where the second bomb went off. So glad I don't work in that location anymore.

It was creepy at work yesterday afternoon. Just like it was on 9/11/2001.

Scott Bails
04-16-2013, 08:56 AM
The anti-bomb people will be out in droves at any minute, demanding stricter bomb-control laws.

:roll:roll:roll

Facelift
04-16-2013, 09:41 AM
The Saudi has not been labeled a suspect. He was injured and found blocks away with burns. He's being treated and questioned. Officially, there are no suspects.

You are absolutely right. I was just repeating what I had heard reported on several outlets, but they got it wrong. The reality is that the poor Saudi guy was bumrushed by an angry crowd apparently out to exact revenge upon whatever middle-eastern person they could find. Pretty disgraceful, actually.

Scott Bails
04-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Now the Governor of Massachusetts is saying that there never were any undetonated devices, only the two that exploded.

I'm having a hard time believing that...

ronmac
04-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Now the Governor of Massachusetts is saying that there never were any undetonated devices, only the two that exploded.

I'm having a hard time believing that...

Scott, I would give this a few days, at least. There are all kinds of stories out there, mostly rumors. For every grain of truth, there are hundreds of buffoons making things up to look like they knew something before everyone else. I have one of those idiots living next door. Not ten minutes after I listened to the latest updates in NPR, this dip-shit comes over and asks if I heard about it. "They suspect a home-grown terrorist .. The police just detonated a third bomb ... blah blah blah." I scoffed and told him there have been no announcements. This is one of those habitual liars who will tell you it's snowing outside, when you can easily look out the window and see it's warm and sunny.

Scott Bails
04-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Yeah, you're right, of course, but it was so widely reported by reputable sources yesterday that a 3rd device had been detonated and that two more were found.

Paulie
04-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Un. Fucking. Real.

Having Patriots Day off each year has always been a real treat for me as 1), it signifies the beginning of Spring and 2), tho I'm far from a runner, I enjoy being involved with the Boston Marathon. I volunteer for the giant carbo-load spaghetti feast each year on Sunday (I own the official jackets to prove it, and incidentally, have fun wearing them as strangers always incredulously ask, "YOU ran the marathon?"). I've also hosted many friends from around the country whose dreams and hard training have culminated in this esteemed event on numerous occasions.

I've gone to the finish line every year since 1993 (give or take a few years where the weather absolutely sucked) and always hang near Whisky's, The Pour House etc. It was a nice Spring forecast and we had definite plans to join in the festivities. My GF developed an immobilizing migraine at around 8am so we opted to hang in and watch on the tube. Any local familiar with the area knows that the second blast occurred in the area I mentioned above. How insane is that? My GF, who leans Wiccan, is absolutely freaking out! I can't say that I fucking blame her.

Sad, sad situation and my heart go out to everyone effected. The friends and families of the deceased and injured, and all those runners who came from all over the globe to participate in this most cherished of all marathons, only to have their moment robbed from them from some sick fucks with nothing better to do with their existence on this planet.

Peace.

Trane
04-16-2013, 10:07 AM
May I extend to my US friends the shock this news just created for me

I doubt very much this was domestic but rather international.

Healing thoughts for the injured & their families.

From the little I know (I've known for about 30 mins now) I'm not so sure it's a real organized terrorist faction...
If this was from one of them, they would've either
- stricken a much more meaningful target than an innocent race
- managed to make a lot more victims (I mean there was a possibilitiy to make a few thousand casualties, easy)

Not to me, right now, this looks like pure amateur stuff... Hence not "djihad" thingie... or maybe to induce a wrong investigation

progeezer
04-16-2013, 10:19 AM
May I extend to my US friends the shock this news just created for me

From the little I know (I've known for about 30 mins now) I'm not so sure it's a real organized terrorist faction...
If this was from one of them, they would've either
- stricken a much more meaningful target than an innocent race
- managed to make a lot more victims (I mean there was a possibilitiy to make a few thousand casualties, easy)

Not to me, right now, this looks like pure amateur stuff... Hence not "djihad" thingie... or maybe to induce a wrong investigationYou may well be right, Hugues, but the US media is talking about "soft" targets (like what happened yesterday) being easier to hit than the heavily secured govt targets. I agree that we just have to wait & see, but my hunch goes the opposite way (but I may have spoken a bit too soon, Oreb:)).

davis
04-16-2013, 10:21 AM
:roll:roll:roll

just a little dark humor. Nobody would object if some famous comic said it. anyway... my prayers to everybody killed, injured & their friends/families.

Trane
04-16-2013, 10:29 AM
You may well be right, Hugues, but the US media is talking about "soft" targets (like what happened yesterday) being easier to hit than the heavily secured govt targets. I agree that we just have to wait & see, but my hunch goes the opposite way (but I may have spoken a bit too soon, Oreb:)).

Got yopur drift... but I was thinking that better placed bombs could've made a lot more victims (like exploding a bridge crumbling in a river, for ex) with no extra organization... there is a few hundred deaths easy

Anyway, I'll shut the fuck up, not to give ideas

NogbadTheBad
04-16-2013, 10:32 AM
One thing in certain in this, the media absolutely love this kind of stuff and go wall to wall as soon as possible, I find a lot of the coverage pretty awful. While horrendous it would not be considered unusual its lots of parts of the World.

Plasmatopia
04-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Got yopur drift... but I was thinking that better placed bombs could've made a lot more victims (like exploding a bridge crumbling in a river, for ex) with no extra organization... there is a few hundred deaths easy

Anyway, I'll shut the fuck up, not to give ideas

But if the point is to sow terror then even a seemingly meaningless and random target accomplishes that. It leaves people thinking they are never safe.

NeonKnight
04-16-2013, 10:40 AM
That is some story Paulie! Glad you and the GF are alright!

My prayers and condolences to the victims.

As to who ever did this? May their souls burn for eternity! :yell

This is a classic terrorist attack and it has to be a team of fiends. Soft target, with the media eye present for maximum exposure and damage. My guess is it is domestic based but Al Queda inspired, but way too soon to know for sure.

ronmac
04-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Yeah, the media is saying a lot of things. That includes the un-reputable "media," like The NY Post.

Apparently, this bomb was pretty amateurishly built. Yes, they clearly knew what they were doing, but, from what I heard, they could have gotten a lot more power out of bombs that size.

All that being said, it doesn't take much to strike terror in the hearts of regular people. If this was from international terrorists, they did their job. If it was done domestically, I would expect a political agenda that's somewhat different.

Casey
04-16-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm keeping my mouth shut & my mind open on this until more hard facts are revealed. There's no point voicing any guesses; just adds fuel to the fire.

One thing I do know for sure, most of the media (TV & radio) that's covering this are showing the world what asses they are: go for the gore! go for the heartbreak! go for the ratings!!!

Anyone who has seen mangled bodies is thinking one thing: get the (investigation/prosecution) job done. Anyone who has been to war wants nothing to do with flag waving & false bravado. I say again: get the job done!

Trane
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
But if the point is to sow terror then even a seemingly meaningless and random target accomplishes that. It leaves people thinking they are never safe.

But on a bad guy POV, it'sd much more effective to go for a few hundred victims (if not thousands like on the bridge I was speaking of) for the same price

Apparently, this bomb was pretty amateurishly built. Yes, they clearly knew what they were doing, but, from what I heard, they could have gotten a lot more power out of bombs that size.

That was pretty much my point... it seems relatively amateurish... Too ineffective to be an international "professional" terrorist group

In Madrid "they" did 250 deaths on moving targets (trains) in 2004

WHORG
04-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Glad you stayed at home Pepe.

I never went anywhere near the marathon in the 8 years we lived in Cambridge - although my (Berklee) office was in the building directly west of the second explosion (on Boylston). We always had that day off work - but i knew many who volunteered and participated in the marathon itself - - -

In many ways it's hard to believe - then in other ways it's not at all.

On a lighter note:

Ahhh - the Pour House . . . the place where I first met Pepe in person and up close. Our visit (that night) with the Green Fairy caused him to completely miss the Musical Box (Lamb) show at Berklee, and lose both his car keys AND parking garage ticket !!! Now that's some hard drinkin' right there !!!

Plasmatopia
04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
But on a bad guy POV, it'sd much more effective to go for a few hundred victims (if not thousands like on the bridge I was speaking of) for the same price

I guess it depends on the bad guy and what their goals are...bigger goal of doing the most damage (economic, political) to the US, or just a sick SOB trying to kill and maim a bunch of people...

Paulie
04-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Glad you stayed at home Pepe.Thanks Josef! Hope your old friends are safe and sound!

Ahhh - the Pour House . . . the place where I first met Pepe in person and up close. Our visit (that night) with the Green Fairy caused him to completely miss the Musical Box (Lamb) show at Berklee, and lose both his car keys AND parking garage ticket !!! Now that's some hard drinkin' right there !!!LMFAO! Yes, that was my first helping of The Green Fairy (courtesy of you good friend!) And certainly not my last! Good times.

Dave (in MA)
04-16-2013, 12:58 PM
I think everyone understood what Dave meant.Too bad, the death toll is back up to 3. An 8 year old boy was killed, his sister lost a leg, and his mother is in critical condition.

Gruno
04-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Yeah, you're right, of course, but it was so widely reported by reputable sources yesterday that a 3rd device had been detonated and that two more were found.

Reputable sources are becoming few and far between. Most of today's media want to rush to be the first to air... and if others have it, it MUST be true, so they report it also.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/goblynzgroove/misc/truman2_zps2c3702a0.jpg

Sputnik
04-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Just found out the fiancee of a guy who used to work at my Company suffered a fractured skull and shrapnel wounds. I have no other information. We were all pretty good friends when he worked here, we went golfing several times and they came to our house a couple of times. Very disturbing to hear this, she is a sweet person. I hope she's OK. We're trying to get more information now.

Bill

Yanks2014
04-16-2013, 01:38 PM
You are absolutely right. I was just repeating what I had heard reported on several outlets, but they got it wrong. The reality is that the poor Saudi guy was bumrushed by an angry crowd apparently out to exact revenge upon whatever middle-eastern person they could find. Pretty disgraceful, actually.

I think this is another unconfirmed rumor too, lots of those going around. And with all the smoke, blood amd debris everywhere, not too easy to tell where someone is from or even their nationality. At this point all that can be confirmed are the number of dead, which thankfully is still low (for a bombing this large) and that two bombs went off. Nearly everything else is just a guess at this point. No motives, actual suspects or any real details. They "claim" the bombs were set off by some sort of pressure cooker. Is this true? No idea, but its the latest theory.

progeezer
04-16-2013, 01:43 PM
So sorry to hear about your friend, Bill, but very happy to hear you stayed home, Pepe.

I suppose there's always the 3rd alternative: domestically carried out but funded (& perhaps instruction provided) by international sources.

And no, I've never been a conspiracy theorist.

Yves
04-16-2013, 02:45 PM
We're having a bomb scare, right now, about 2 blocks from my work. They've got all the roads closed off. Police have sent a robot in to inspect a suspect package left at a gas station. I'm far enough away that we're not evacuated but this is next one of Montreal's biggest shopping malls and apparently it's pretty chaotic over there right now. Maybe some idiots trying to gain a little notoriety in wake of yesterday's event in Boston.

Scott Bails
04-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Reputable sources are becoming few and far between. Most of today's media want to rush to be the first to air... and if others have it, it MUST be true, so they report it also.

Yeah, yeah...I get the point....

Bill - sorry about your friend, and Pepe, glad to hear you're okay. Yves - stay safe!

Plasmatopia
04-16-2013, 03:01 PM
I suppose there's always the 3rd alternative: domestically carried out but funded (& perhaps instruction provided) by international sources.

And no, I've never been a conspiracy theorist.

Technically I think your post now qualifies you as one.

Facelift
04-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Thumbs up to this guy:

http://bostonmarathonconspiracy.com/

Scott Bails
04-16-2013, 03:20 PM
That is awesome, Facelift.

progeezer
04-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Technically I think your post now qualifies you as one.Fair enough, Guy, but in my mind, I don't see myself as a theorist, but rather an uninformed speculator.

Does uninformed speculation add to this thread in any way? Not at all, so I see the larger point.:)

Yves
04-16-2013, 03:46 PM
They've opened up the streets again and I did not hear a loud KA-BOOM so I guess it was a false alarm.

Scott Bails
04-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Good news, Yves.

progeezer
04-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Deep breaths, Yevis!

ForeverAutumn
04-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Thumbs up to this guy:

http://bostonmarathonconspiracy.com/

When I try to go to that URL, there is only a blank page (which is perfectly fine now that I know the reason for it). Here is a Huffington Post article about the site for anyone else who can't access it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/boston-marathon-conspiracy-theory-website_n_3093105.html

Plasmatopia
04-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Because conspiracy theories and respect for the dead and wounded are somehow mutually exclusive? I don't get the connection...

Facelift
04-16-2013, 05:19 PM
Because conspiracy theories and respect for the dead and wounded are somehow mutually exclusive? I don't get the connection...

The most popular conspiracy theory genre is the "false flag," meaning that it was all government set-up. Often, the dead/wounded are alleged to be actors. The internet was full of this stuff when the Newtown massacre happened.

I can see how somebody sitting in a hospital room wondering how he's going to provide for his family for the rest of his life because he no longer has working legs might be offended by the assertion that he either doesn't exist, or is play-acting for some sinister government purpose.

Plasmatopia
04-16-2013, 05:56 PM
The most popular conspiracy theory genre is the "false flag," meaning that it was all government set-up. Often, the dead/wounded are alleged to be actors. The internet was full of this stuff when the Newtown massacre happened.

I can see how somebody sitting in a hospital room wondering how he's going to provide for his family for the rest of his life because he no longer has working legs might be offended by the assertion that he either doesn't exist, or is play-acting for some sinister government purpose.

Newtown was the first I ever heard the "actor" claim against everyday citizens (victims in this case). But the number one characteristic of a person making such a claim is "nut case"...not "conspiracy theorist". One can theorize about all sorts of things, but when it goes that far the person has definitely lost connection with reality. It takes a special sort of asshole/idiot to make that sort of claim about a situation like the one in Newtown.

Sputnik
04-17-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm seeing on the news that an arrest is imminent. The suspect is supposedly being brought to the Boston Courthouse, which is across the Fort Point Chanel. I can see news helicopters outside my office window now. Definitely something happening.

Bill

Gruno
04-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Don't know how legit this is:

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/goblynzgroove/misc/boston_zpsb0ee0280.png

Sputnik
04-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Well, now the Globe site is saying that no arrest has been made, no one in custody. Helicopters are still there, but this may have been a false or premature report. Frustrating.

Bill

ItalProgRules
04-17-2013, 03:21 PM
So it was a swarthy guy, and MSNBC insists it had to have been a tea partier.

Since I am a swarthy tea partier, I'm thinking maybe I did it.

Was I in Boston recently?

Sputnik
04-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Now there's been a bomb threat at the courthouse, which is being evacuated. Huge helicopters going by my window. Apparently there's a Police boat in the water near the courthouse as well. Crazy.

Gruno
04-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Now CNN is reporting "FEDS: NO ARREST IN BOSTON"

:D

rapidfirerob
04-17-2013, 05:51 PM
It would be great if they could the asshole(s) who did this quickly, but it often takes time to catch the person or persons.
I get my news primarily from the PBS News Hour and the local paper, so don't have to deal with the sensationalism so much.
Victims getting their legs amputated is the most ironic part of this tragedy.

ronmac
04-17-2013, 06:18 PM
and MSNBC insists it had to have been a tea partier.

Can you provide evidence of that?

Shadow
04-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Now CNN is reporting "FEDS: NO ARREST IN BOSTON"

:D

Would they tell you even if they did.

Scott Bails
04-17-2013, 08:24 PM
The media is really annoying throughout this whole thing. Journalistic integrity is truly dead.

Adrian
04-17-2013, 08:56 PM
^ Yeah, it is. Ratings trumps all else. Sensationalism sells (which is why news and entertainment have blurred), and the networks have to fill the 24-hour news cycle. I started my career in journalism -- I don't think you could pay me to go back into that field.

Agree with some other posters that speculation is pointless. Don't prematurely point fingers; don't prematurely rule anything out. Just let the process work itself out.

Baribrotzer
04-17-2013, 08:58 PM
MSNBC insists it had to have been a tea partier. That sounds like a rumor, or a misreported exaggeration to me. Although from what I've heard, it does appear more the work of a domestic terrorist, another Timothy McVeigh, than of Al Qaeda or someone similar: Look at the multiple symbolism of Patriot's Day, of April 15th, of Boston, and of the bomb using Colonial-style black powder in Massachusetts, an infamously liberal state that just passed a strict gun control law. Those all point in that direction, all of them are specific to the US, and they would likely matter a lot to a domestic terrorist. However, none of them would mean much to Al Qaeda. They might not even be aware of them. Also, Al Qaeda can get better explosives than black powder, and I strongly suspect they would have used those.

But even MSNBC knows the very large difference between the Tea Party and the likes of McVeigh. Now what they might have said was that Boston was, of course, the site of the original Boston Tea Party, and that could have a symbolic importance to a domestic terrorist. Which statement then got scrambled into what you heard.

Gruno
04-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Would they tell you even if they did.

They tried to.

http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/6189-conflicting-boston-arrest-reports-spark-chaos-on-tv

At 1:45 pm, CNN's John King first reported the headline all America is waiting for.

King said, "This is a Boston law enforcement source who tells me that an arrest has been made."

You could see CNN's news team actually checking their cell phones, looking for the latest information from their souces live on the air.

Then at 1:51, ABC's Brian Ross reported the breaking news.

Ross reported, "Our ABC News affiliate here is reporting that an arrest has been made."

At 1:56, we heard from Fox News when Megyn Kelly reported, "Indeed, an arrest has been made."

Just two minutes later, at 1:58, both NBC and CBS broke into regular network programming, but NBC's Pete Williams said his sources told him: hold your horses.

"To say an arrest is imminent, or has been made, seems to me, at this point, to be wrong," said Williams.

And CBS's Bob Orr took a more cautious road, reporting, "The sources are very encouraged by these developments. Very encouraged that perhaps they're onto a very good lead."

The Associated Press also said someone was in custody, leading to this headline on the New York Magazine website: "Total Chaos."

Then, CNN backed off, with John King reporting, "This federal law enforcement source that I just communicated with says, 'Significant progress has been made, but no arrest. Anyone who says an arrest is ahead of themselves."

Understandable confusion playing out on live TV.

JKL2000
04-18-2013, 10:53 AM
The big problem with the 24 hr news channels (ALL of them, I think) is that they spend so much time with a group of people sitting around talking - I'm guessing this is where ItalProg heard someone on MSNBC say something about the bomber(s) being a Tea Party member. Once you have people sitting around saying whatever comes to mind, any idea of editing and fact-checking goes out the window. As someone said earlier, it's because they have to fill up so much time. I, too, prefer to watch shows like the PBS News Hour, or to just read the New York Times, because you're getting news that has been edited and fact checked, rather than a news "reality show." I really don't have any need to know the very latest news along with hunches, rumors, misreported stories, etc.

Yanks2014
04-18-2013, 01:57 PM
There seems to be this notion that the media "has to report something" no matter if it's confirmed or not. So we get all these false reports, happens every time with a big tragedy. It's reached a point where I wont even follow the story for at least several hours in the hope they have filtered out all the crap. And I think this is getting worse. I'm totally not into conspiracies, and it seems nearly all them theorized don't fit this case. If it were domestic terrorists protesting tax day for example, why attack the Marathon? Odd choice of a target. Just an example, I can't rule out anything just yet. It's been a few days and we still don't have concrete answers, could be a while longer. Speculate if you want, but I wont get involved in that.

Cats On Glue
04-18-2013, 02:57 PM
So we get all these false reports, happens every time with a big tragedy. except 9/11. that was totally solved in a matter of minutes. no need to subject anybody to the media's potential speculation about whodunnit.

Progmatic
04-18-2013, 03:00 PM
except 9/11. that was totally solved in a matter of minutes. no need to subject anybody to the media's potential speculation about whodunnit.

or was it ????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVSRm80WzZk

Scott Bails
04-19-2013, 08:30 AM
I've a feeling there's going to be a lot of "breaking news" today.

For those who haven't heard, one of the suspects is dead after a confrontation last night. He's been identified as a former Chechen who has been living in the U.S. for at least a year. The other suspect is his brother, and is still at large. Last night, they robbed a convenience store, carjacked a ride, and shot a security officer.

No word on whether they were acting alone of if they were acting on the command of others.

ronmac
04-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Yeah, it would be nice if they caught this loser alive and found out what was behind it.

ItalProgRules
04-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Holy Crap guys, this is breaking right now right near me:

This story is happening right now: Police source tells WGRZ - 2 On Your Side: 2 Russian nationals pulled over in Niagara Falls; 4 suspicious backpacks in the car, robot & bomb techs on scene. We have a crew headed to the area.

Scott Bails
04-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Just saw that.

It's gonna be a crazy, crazy day, I think.

ItalProgRules
04-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Just reported: they have massachusetts plates

Cats On Glue
04-19-2013, 09:52 AM
fascinating. so there are more than these two brothers involved.

Progmatic
04-19-2013, 09:55 AM
fascinating. so there are more than these two brothers involved.

Well it seems that Chechnya brought their conflict with Russia to US...maybe following recent unsuccesful US discussion with Putin on human rights...

Paulie
04-19-2013, 09:59 AM
PE = The Progressive Enquirer

JKL2000
04-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Holy Crap guys, this is breaking right now right near me:

This story is happening right now: Police source tells WGRZ - 2 On Your Side: 2 Russian nationals pulled over in Niagara Falls; 4 suspicious backpacks in the car, robot & bomb techs on scene. We have a crew headed to the area.

This is what it says on the WGRZ web site now:

NIAGARA FALLS, NY - A high ranking source tells 2 On Your Side that the traffic stop in Niagara Falls this morning was routine, but police are searching items in the vehicle and residents are being asked to stay away from the area.

Police stopped the car at 19th and Elmwood in the Falls.

The vehicle has Massachusetts license plates.

A source earlier this morning said the two occupents were Russian nationals, but police now say that is not true.

The FBI tells 2 On Your Side they are aware of the situation and that their joint-terrorism task force is assisting the NYSP.

2 On Your Side has a crew on the scene and will have more information as it becomes available.

Scott Bails
04-19-2013, 10:10 AM
What some Watertown residents are seeing out their windows:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIOEZ0ICIAAV2pP.jpg

Paulie
04-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Unsubscribing from this thread. If I want more misinformation and hype, I'll turn the TV on and get it from the source. Carry on.

Yodelgoat
04-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Holy crap! I now get my news from Progressive Ears! Nothing about a Niagra connection where I am.

JKL2000
04-19-2013, 10:36 AM
^ I wouldn't say it's quite confirmed at this point. The article I posted above is from the source ItalProgRules quoted, but a bit later, and they seem to be unsure about some of the info.

ItalProgRules
04-19-2013, 10:50 AM
^ I wouldn't say it's quite confirmed at this point. The article I posted above is from the source ItalProgRules quoted, but a bit later, and they seem to be unsure about some of the info.

I just went off the first reports...my assistant lives in that neighborhood and one of her daughters says they are still on scene. Something's up.

ItalProgRules
04-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Unsubscribing from this thread. If I want more misinformation and hype, I'll turn the TV on and get it from the source. Carry on.

I'm not Wolf Fucking Blitzer, dickwad.

Gravedigger
04-19-2013, 10:56 AM
What some Watertown residents are seeing out their windows:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIOEZ0ICIAAV2pP.jpg

Wow! I lived in Watertown for four years, and this is still hard to take in.

I work in Newton (the next town over). I made it into work early this morning, only to be told to leave
shortly afterwards.

JKL2000
04-19-2013, 11:06 AM
I just went off the first reports...my assistant lives in that neighborhood and one of her daughters says they are still on scene. Something's up.

No explanation necessary - I appreciated the update. I was just adding to it.

ronmac
04-19-2013, 11:09 AM

nice.

Paulie
04-19-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm not Wolf Fucking Blitzer, dickwad.Dickwad huh? What are you 12? Unfknbelievable.

ronmac
04-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Paulie, I think the key to participating in this thread is to look at the "updates" and then check back in an hour or so to see the denials, confirmations, clarifications, or whatever.

NeonKnight
04-19-2013, 11:49 AM
Here is fuckwads facebook (http://vk.com/id160300242) Google can translate or bing.

Also Boston police scanner (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ma-rt-9-window-cam) from the scene, much better then the TV.

Esoteric
04-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Here is fuckwads facebook (http://vk.com/id160300242) Google can translate or bing.

Also Boston police scanner (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ma-rt-9-window-cam) from the scene, much better then the TV.

wow if you read the comments (wise I think to let people comment--maybe they can trace a few more complete "ars****" this way ) theres a helluva lot of screwed up thinking and plain weirdos out there .

Dave (in MA)
04-19-2013, 12:47 PM
I'd trust ItalProgRules' reports with more credibility than WB's.
Is that Blitzer's official title?

ronmac
04-19-2013, 01:14 PM
I don't trust any reports until they are confirmed by authorities.

Well it seems that Chechnya brought their conflict with Russia to US...maybe following recent unsuccesful US discussion with Putin on human rights...

Chechnya has a very Islamic population. I would guess it has more to do with that than US/Russia relations.

Gruno
04-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Info about the death photo circulating around the net:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/04/19/tamerlan-tsarnaev-death-photo-surfaces-boston-marathon-bomber/

A gruesome death photo of the Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev has surfaced online ... and law enforcement sources tell TMZ it's 100% authentic.

The photo first appeared on Reddit moments ago ... posted by someone who claims the photo was obtained by a "friend" who works downtown.

The picture shows the lifeless corpse of 26-year-old Tamerlan laying on a table.

The body has multiple bullet wounds ... as well as a gigantic gash along his chest ribcage area.

The body is covered in blood ... especially in the facial region.

In the death photo, Tamerlan's mouth and eyes are open wide.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... the photo is authentic. One source tell us officials are investigating to find out who leaked the picture.

Scott Bails
04-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Ugh. Do we really need that?

Not directed at you, Gruno - more the media in general.

Yanks2014
04-19-2013, 01:53 PM
except 9/11. that was totally solved in a matter of minutes. no need to subject anybody to the media's potential speculation about whodunnit.

No need to go there. Seriously, why even try?

Cats On Glue
04-19-2013, 03:01 PM
why not? seems like it touches a nerve dude what up with that. facts are facts, and they soilved that crime pretty fast. especially when they found korans, and notes to girlfriends in the cars at logan.haha and a terrorist passport in the rubble on the street below wtcs. lol it all pieced togethr well. oh ya, and things were coraborated when a waitress said they were drunkien assholes in a bar the night before and didn't pay their bill. you can't make this stuff up i just hope they bomb the shit out of chechenia

Scott Bails
04-19-2013, 03:05 PM
i just hope they bomb the shit out of chechenia

What are you, like, 12 years old or something? :roll

ronmac
04-19-2013, 03:40 PM
why not? seems like it touches a nerve dude what up with that. facts are facts, and they soilved that crime pretty fast. especially when they found korans, and notes to girlfriends in the cars at logan.haha and a terrorist passport in the rubble on the street below wtcs. lol it all pieced togethr well. oh ya, and things were coraborated when a waitress said they were drunkien assholes in a bar the night before and didn't pay their bill. you can't make this stuff up i just hope they bomb the shit out of chechenia

This is a joke, right?

Cats On Glue
04-19-2013, 03:53 PM
you didn't hear the chechnian president calling america evil? din't you hear that the one bro was there last year for 6 months? probably training like the 9/11 guys were in afganistan right. so tell me what's the difference lol. you don't think theres a terror network similar to alquaida over here? why should the response be any different than it was after 9/11. think about that

JKL2000
04-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Imagine having this coming after you. Sure, the guy on top looks a bit like Elton John, but still...

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67112000/jpg/_67112024_67112023.jpg

Progmatic
04-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Imagine having this coming after you. Sure, the guy on top looks a bit like Elton John, but still...

Help! (movie)

Scott Bails
04-19-2013, 03:58 PM
you didn't hear the chechnian president calling america evil? din't you hear that the one bro was there last year for 6 months? probably training like the 9/11 guys were in afganistan right. so tell me what's the difference lol. you don't think theres a terror network similar to alquaida over here? why should the response be any different than it was after 9/11. think about that

Wow.

First of all, our response to 9/11 might go down as one of the worst decision ever by a president.

Second, I don't know why I'm even responding. :roll

JKL2000
04-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Second, I don't know why I'm even responding. :roll

Yeah, we should probably try to resist this kind of stuff and stick to tracking what's going on in the present. Otherwise, the thread will get locked.

Shadow
04-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Dickwad huh? What are you 12? Unfknbelievable.

He meant to say peniswad. ;)

Shadow
04-19-2013, 04:26 PM

I think he looks like Jack Nicholson.

Cats On Glue
04-19-2013, 04:28 PM
First of all, our response to 9/11 might go down as one of the worst decision ever by a president.

not if you have shares in halibuton. haha dude i think this is a good time to think about all this. people should consider theparalels and use it to apreciate what really went on last time.

Scott Bails
04-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Um..okay. :roll

Cats On Glue
04-19-2013, 04:39 PM
scuse me if sarcasm doesn't read so good scott bails. i'm talking about people who backed cheney and his puppet last time. are they ready to call for bombing of chechenia, yay or nay. situation doesn't appear that different, only in body count and property damage. but these things are about principle right?

Dave (in MA)
04-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Thread closed by mods in 5... 4... 3...

Esoteric
04-19-2013, 06:51 PM
There have also been plenty of totally senseless tragedies caused by 100% Americans (And the same here in the Uk) --so what are you saying then---go and take out Texas, oklahoma, etc. There are bad eggs in all parts of the world, they dont necessarily form the vast amount of the population.

Scott Bails
04-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Sorry, cats on glue - I guess I just don't see "bomb the whole country" as a legitimate foreign policy.

ronmac
04-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Sorry, cats on glue - I guess I just don't see "bomb the whole country" as a legitimate foreign policy.

Of course it isn't. We should bomb the whole wrong country!

JKL2000
04-19-2013, 07:41 PM
I watching CNN while posting this...

spellbound
04-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Of course it isn't. We should bomb the whole wrong country!

It's what we do. It's what we are known for. Why change now?

Gruno
04-19-2013, 08:08 PM
I watching CNN while posting this...

The police scanner is way better than CNN right now!

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/22028015/shots-fired-in-watertown-neighborhood

JKL2000
04-19-2013, 08:33 PM
The police scanner is way better than CNN right now!

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/22028015/shots-fired-in-watertown-neighborhood

Is it this link?:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ma-rt-9-window-cam

Oh, yeah, I'm hearing some transmissions on it. Breaker one-nine, breaker one-nine. Smokey's on your tail!

JKL2000
04-19-2013, 08:39 PM
He's on a Cruise to the Edge...

Jerjo
04-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Suspect is alive and in custody

JKL2000
04-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Office friendly is reporting they have him in custody (on the scanner).

JKL2000
04-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Ok, now it's time for the legal process to begin to work so that...roast him alive!

ronmac
04-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Surprised he didn't off himself. He really is a coward, huh?

JKL2000
04-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Well, he deserves to have his day in court, because...hack his nuts off!

ronmac
04-19-2013, 09:03 PM
So, should they hack his nuts off before or after they roast him alive?

Duncan Glenday
04-19-2013, 09:32 PM
not if you have shares in halibuton. haha dude i think this is a good time to think about all this. people should consider theparalels and use it to apreciate what really went on last time.

Stop it.

Yeah, we should probably try to resist this kind of stuff and stick to tracking what's going on in the present. Otherwise, the thread will get locked.

What Jed Sed.

JKL2000
04-19-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm sure this'll taper off now anyway. I know I got the bloodlust out of my system...

Dave (in MA)
04-19-2013, 10:31 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BIQianICcAE_AUp.jpg

Obscured
04-20-2013, 12:43 AM
http://watertown.patch.com/articles/we-got-the-call-and-we-got-the-guy

A call from a Watertown resident led to the capture of the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, officials said at a Friday evening press conference.

"We asked you to maintain vigilance and you did," Watertown Police Chief Edward Deveau said. "We got the call, and we got the guy."

A man had exited his home after being inside all day per the shelter-in-place policy instituted during the manhunt and lifted earlier this evening, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said. The man saw blood on a boat in his backyard, lifted the tarp over the boat and saw a man covered in blood, and immediately went back inside his home and called the police.

"Over the course of the next hour or so we exchanged gunfire with the suspect inside the boat," Davis said. "The hostage rescue team made entry and removed the suspect still in the boat."

Vic2012
04-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Sure, the guy on top looks a bit like Elton John, but still...

:lol

JKL2000
04-20-2013, 09:50 AM
So, should they hack his nuts off before or after they roast him alive?

Before. What would be the point of hacking them off after?

NogbadTheBad
04-20-2013, 09:59 AM
I like my chestnuts roasted.

Casey
04-20-2013, 10:18 AM
If the punk possesses any worthwhile information I just hope the authorities can get it.

I learned something new: the bad guy doesn't have to be "Mirandized" if the public safety is at risk.

I witnessed something old: the news media are the last people to trust with reliable information.

On a side note, we've all experienced people who try to bask in reflected glory. My mother-in-law, a malevolent ding-bat if there ever was one, is telling all of her neighbors that the mother of her youngest daughter's boyfriend used to live on the same street as one of the Marathon victims. Oh the things I could do with a cricket bat...

JKL2000
04-20-2013, 10:49 AM
http://i.qkme.me/3u0czi.jpg

*Not my own meme.

Progmatic
04-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Now when the related stories start to surface and different sides are making their claims you start to question who is really behind it (as opposite who's donne it) and whether it could be prevented...

Shadow
04-22-2013, 09:13 AM
The older brother had been previously questioned by the FBI due to contact from the Russian government to our government about his terrorist affiliation. Looks like the FBI may have dropped the ball again.

Scott Bails
04-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Many are saying this, but until we have the "technology" shown in the movie/story Minority Report, I don't fault the FBI at all. They interviewed him two years ago. I'd be more surprised if they were able to predict someone's behavior two years in the future than I am that they haven't arrested everyone they've ever interviewed.

Facelift
04-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Many are saying this, but until we have the "technology" shown in the movie/story Minority Report, I don't fault the FBI at all. They interviewed him two years ago. I'd be more surprised if they were able to predict someone's behavior two years in the future than I am that they haven't arrested everyone they've ever interviewed.

Agreed. I don't think people understand the resources that are necessary to have people constantly monitored/tracked. He was on the FBI's radar, but whatever he did occurred off of it. I'm not saying that the FBI definitely didn't drop the ball, because I don't know the specific facts of the case yet, but it's very premature and irresponsible to sugest that they did.

Shadow
04-22-2013, 09:41 AM
The same constitution that people are whining about that the government wants to destroy by trying to monitor the sale and possession of guns also curbed the FBI's ability to monitor this terrorist. People forget the constitution was written in a time period that is completely different than now.

Scott Bails
04-22-2013, 09:44 AM
People forget the constitution was written in a time period that is completely different than now.

I can't argue against this point.

Cats On Glue
04-22-2013, 10:06 AM
this was a nice eye opener for these people who think that their gun will prtect them against the government. hahaha the level of technology and communication pocessed by the goverment agencies and military are not gonna be scared by automatic weapens. they wanted this dude alive, otherwise, they could have been done with him in 30 second flat once they found him. so for all you guys that fantisize about holding up in your home with your weapons to stop your government...dudes, we gave them this unthinkable budget and power in order to make us be the most powerful country in the world. and we are. And for you rambo wanna be's that fatisize about going off the gird and taking on the tyranny. good luck. they can see at night and use an array of things to fuck your head up before you could even fire a shot or skin a gopher for breakfast.

Facelift
04-22-2013, 10:10 AM
The same constitution that people are whining about that the government wants to destroy by trying to monitor the sale and possession of guns also curbed the FBI's ability to monitor this terrorist. People forget the constitution was written in a time period that is completely different than now.

Some more explanation with that, please? The older brother wasn't a US citizen, so there was a lot more leeway in terms of what could be done with him, from a law enforcement/counter-terrorism standpoint. It's very early and we may never know the details, but there are suggestions out there that there was CIA involvement here, meaning that it was the CIA that initially approached the older brother to become an agent, and that he turned on them. There might be information about the older brother that the CIA knew, but which was not shared with the FBI, for reasons related to this. In any event, due to the sophistication of the operation, it's highly unlikely that these two were acting 100% alone, and the news is filtering out that the FBI is trying to find out which sleeper cell was aiding the brothers. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/459580/20130421/boston-bombings-tamerlan-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-sleeper-cell.htm

IMO, there's just too many unknowns in this case to start making accusations about who dropped what ball, when, and what Constitutional impediments there were.

Facelift
04-22-2013, 10:15 AM
this was a nice eye opener for these people who think that their gun will prtect them against the government. hahaha the level of technology and communication pocessed by the goverment agencies and military are not gonna be scared by automatic weapens.

I won't get into the gun rights issue, 'cause I suppose that's not allowed in here, but purely from a factual standpoint: those who think that their stockpiles of weapons would make even the slightest iota of a difference if they became the target of a tyrannical government, are seriously deluding themselves. There were times in US history when a well-armed and moderately trained citizenry could at least instill a bit of pause against the forces of the government, but those times are long since passed, and such people would now be almost instantly and easily wiped out - for better or for worse, depending on perspective.

NogbadTheBad
04-22-2013, 11:31 AM
And the thread closes in... 3 ... 2 ...

3LockBox
04-22-2013, 11:48 AM
I won't get into the gun rights issue, 'cause I suppose that's not allowed in here, but purely from a factual standpoint: those who think that their stockpiles of weapons would make even the slightest iota of a difference if they became the target of a tyrannical government, are seriously deluding themselves. There were times in US history when a well-armed and moderately trained citizenry could at least instill a bit of pause against the forces of the government, but those times are long since passed, and such people would now be almost instantly and easily wiped out - for better or for worse, depending on perspective.Unless of course that citizen army has launched their own satellites for monitoring troop movement, target acquisition and weapons guidance systems... The only way third world rogue countries evade defeat at the hands of larger armies now is by hiding in caves and setting up headquarters in schools and hospitals (and that only works against certain enemies). If a large and well trained, well stocked, seasoned army like Sadam Hussein's Iraq can be sacked twice then I won't be betting a buncha cousin-dating seperatists are going to fend off a well funded army.

Shadow
04-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Some more explanation with that, please? The older brother wasn't a US citizen, so there was a lot more leeway in terms of what could be done with him, from a law enforcement/counter-terrorism standpoint. It's very early and we may never know the details, but there are suggestions out there that there was CIA involvement here, meaning that it was the CIA that initially approached the older brother to become an agent, and that he turned on them. There might be information about the older brother that the CIA knew, but which was not shared with the FBI, for reasons related to this. In any event, due to the sophistication of the operation, it's highly unlikely that these two were acting 100% alone, and the news is filtering out that the FBI is trying to find out which sleeper cell was aiding the brothers. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/459580/20130421/boston-bombings-tamerlan-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-sleeper-cell.htm

IMO, there's just too many unknowns in this case to start making accusations about who dropped what ball, when, and what Constitutional impediments there were.

From what I heard on the radio this morning, unless there is an ongoing investigation they can only monitor someone for 90 days.

Duncan Glenday
04-22-2013, 12:45 PM
this was a nice eye opener for these people who think that their gun will prtect them against the government. hahaha the level of technology and communication pocessed by the goverment agencies and military are not gonna be scared by automatic weapens. they wanted this dude alive, otherwise, they could have been done with him in 30 second flat once they found him. so for all you guys that fantisize about holding up in your home with your weapons to stop your government...dudes, we gave them this unthinkable budget and power in order to make us be the most powerful country in the world. and we are. And for you rambo wanna be's that fatisize about going off the gird and taking on the tyranny. good luck. they can see at night and use an array of things to fuck your head up before you could even fire a shot or skin a gopher for breakfast.

I told you to stop it.

This thread has run its course. It will be closed shortly.

Get yer last comments in - though political comments (and that includes gun control etc.) will be deleted.

Plasmatopia
04-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Might as well just close it now...I'm struggling to restrain myself... :)

ronmac
04-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Looks like we have some Glenn Beck devotees here with all the conspiracy theories.

Duncan Glenday
04-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Looks like we have some Glenn Beck devotees here with all the conspiracy theories.

Re-read the posts - we have devotees from both sides of the spectrum.

Most opinions have been refreshingly restrained.

Either way - the matter of the bombing etc. is now a matter for the news, and maybe for other forums...

ronmac
04-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Well, Glenn Beck has his own spectrum.

I do agree that things have been pretty civilized. It just goes to show that it can happen. ;)

progeezer
04-22-2013, 02:06 PM
I do agree that things have been pretty civilized. It just goes to show that it can happen. ;)Providing everyone stays on their meds.:)

Cats On Glue
04-22-2013, 02:24 PM
I told you to stop it.

my apologies. for the record, i'm not anti-gun ownership, not at all. it has it's purposes. i just can't believe in this day and age that some people think they can use them to hold off the government or military of law enforceent. we saw a brilliant display (and even that probably only scatched the surface) of the resourses available to the man if the man really wants to use it.

Dave (in MA)
04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
Without delving into anything political, this was a case of 2 against many, not a case where it the entire citizenry vs. "The Man".

Progmatic
04-22-2013, 02:54 PM
…on the funnier note ...

I do not how many of you were watching NBC on Friday during the manhunt but if you did not you missed the classic moment in modern journalism…

...reporter commenting on the development in the manhunt when everyone was rushing in just before they surrounded the guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6B17r-9YsM

Scott Bails
04-22-2013, 02:57 PM
I don't have a clip, but on the radio Friday they played a CNN reporter talking about how desolate Boston was with everyone locked in their homes:

"It's like a bomb went off!!!"

:roll

Plasmatopia
04-22-2013, 03:04 PM

Naw, the only theories I've seen here are far too tame for GB devotees...

Scott Bails
04-22-2013, 03:27 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37189506.jpg

Duncan Glenday
04-22-2013, 03:28 PM
I do agree that things have been pretty civilized. It just goes to show that it can happen. ;)

:up

my apologies

:up

As I said earlier - this thread has run its PE course. I'll close it soon - thankfully, that will not be because of any excessive political rants, as we've had in the past. Thanks to everyone for keeping it on an even keel.

progeezer
04-22-2013, 03:29 PM
A 2-part question that may never get answered unfortunately is, "Who paid for the stuff, and who trained you?".

Scott Bails
04-22-2013, 03:35 PM
And now Canada averts a terrorist attack! (http://news.yahoo.com/canada-announce-arrests-thwarting-major-terrorist-attack-cbc-180404075.html) :O

Progmatic
04-22-2013, 03:39 PM
A 2-part question that may never get answered unfortunately is, "Who paid for the stuff, and who trained you?".

I do not think the investment was that big, the weapons were not sophisticated by any means (but I may be wrong)...also reporters were talking about easy access to the info required to build weapons and undertake such attacks...
...as far as access to guns and use of fire arms, well 2nd amendment takes care of that...

I believe that more important issue is who is your ideological mentor (if anyone)...because more volnurable young people like them could become an easy target of brainwash like this...

wideopenears
04-22-2013, 03:44 PM
What was most interesting about this whole story for me was the way the media felt they had to be "on it" 24/7....in this day and age, where social media is the primary source of news for many, the rush to "report" --not to demean or downplay the tragedy of this incident, but it was "minor" when compared with 9/11, the McVeigh thing, even Sandy Hook.....yet it seemed to me that the media coverage was so far over-the-top, rush to publish, get on the story, compared to those past events...

Then again, maybe my memories of the past coverage are skewed.

Scott Bails
04-22-2013, 03:56 PM
No, I agree with you, wideopen. I've never seen such a disregard for journalistic integrity in an effort to scoop the competition.

The media really failed on this one.

Progmatic
04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
...there is something about the case that does not compute...
...the guys pulled off one of the most daring terrorist stunt in US history (while under alleged FBI watch)...keeping it in the secret in terms of planning, building the weapons and preparations… in the total hiding up to the point...and then they appear to lose the plot altogether...acting like sitting ducks... exposed themselves during the actions itself (no effort to change appearance, walking together) ...furthermore, they did not made any effort to escape but went on the life like nothing happened...well till they were identified…

I mean you are either completely stupid or there is something else to the case …

Scott Bails
04-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Well, they weren't under FBI watch immediately before the bombing, right? The older brother was interviewed two years ago, and he fell off the radar.

The bombs were made of relatively ordinary household items, so the whole "planning and building" thing is pretty easy to do surreptitiously.

And, the way they handled themselves after their pictures were spread indicates to me that they were pretty amateur; i.e. not too involved in any terrorist group.

I'm not saying that we have all of the facts (I'm pretty convinced that we don't, and never will), but I don't see too many inconsistencies in the story so far.

Banquo
04-22-2013, 04:27 PM
...furthermore, they did not made any effort to escape but went on the life like nothing happened.
Aw, c'mon dude. How are you supposed to get 72 virgins if you chicken out?

JKL2000
04-22-2013, 04:35 PM
GRENDEL!

Facelift
04-22-2013, 04:36 PM
The bombs were made of relatively ordinary household items, so the whole "planning and building" thing is pretty easy to do surreptitiously.

Well, that's the thing. I'm reading that building and successfully detonating these bombs is actually not something that is easy for amateurs to do surreptitously. I'm reading that the older brother likely was trained in this regard.

As for the younger guy... as Breaking Bad fans can appreciate, "better call Saul!"

Progmatic
04-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Aw, c'mon dude. How are you supposed to get 72 virgins if you chicken out?

You know you cannot find 72 virgins in US ... :p

Shadow
04-22-2013, 04:43 PM
You know you cannot find 72 virgins in US ... :p

Unless you are looking for males. :O

Plasmatopia
04-22-2013, 04:57 PM
...there is something about the case that does not compute...
...the guys pulled off one of the most daring terrorist stunt in US history (while under alleged FBI watch)...keeping it in the secret in terms of planning, building the weapons and preparations… in the total hiding up to the point...and then they appear to lose the plot altogether...acting like sitting ducks... exposed themselves during the actions itself (no effort to change appearance, walking together) ...furthermore, they did not made any effort to escape but went on the life like nothing happened...well till they were identified…

I mean you are either completely stupid or there is something else to the case …

They should have easily figured out that they'd eventually be identified. So maybe their actions after they were identified was all part of their plan? They planned to go out in a hail of gunfire? Who knows...

ronmac
04-22-2013, 05:58 PM
If these guys were trained, they were either trained poorly, or they were supposed to be wearing the backpacks when they exploded, like a good terrorist does. They did a pretty amateurish job and, it seems to me, were just lucky that they succeeded in actually detonating. They pretty much failed in every other aspect. They were picked up on a multitude of cameras, wore distinguishing clothing, made bombs that could easily have been more devastating, blew them up at street-level instead of head-level. Hell, they even implicated themselves by throwing the same kind of bomb at the cops during the first shootout.

I suppose the one brother learned something during that time in Chechnya, or was, at least radicalized, but he didn't learn well. I'm inclined to guess they learned how to make the bombs from the Internet. It's all there for anyone who wants to learn.

Shadow
04-22-2013, 05:59 PM
A guy on facebook posted a picture a friend sent of her friend crossing the finish line.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/11864_10200507223597028_1064635906_n.jpg

Vic2012
04-22-2013, 06:04 PM
I hope that piece of shit get's the death penalty.

ronmac
04-22-2013, 06:15 PM
I hope that piece of shit get's the death penalty.

Right now, the most important thing is what they can get out of him.

Give him due process.

Firth
04-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Russian security pointed the FBI to this slayer:

http://rt.com/news/fbi-tsarnaev-foreign-request-150/

Scott Bails
04-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Russian security pointed the FBI to this slayer:

http://rt.com/news/fbi-tsarnaev-foreign-request-150/

Riiiiggghhht....

And the FBI investigated.

And found nothing suspicious.

The article then goes on to say that the Boston suspects may have been involved in a group that wasn't interested in attacking the U.S. but wanted to attack Russia.

Firth
04-22-2013, 08:08 PM
The real nut job is dead. He killed his brothers pot dealer on 9/11/11. Funny how that story isn't making headlines
Hey, check out this article from ABCNews!

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/boston-bomb-suspect-eyed-connection-2011-triple-murder/story?id=19015628

ronmac
04-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Riiiiggghhht....

The article then goes on to say that the Boston suspects may have been involved in a group that wasn't interested in attacking the U.S. but wanted to attack Russia.

Indeed. the Chechnyans hate Putin. They don't really have a beef with the US.

Firth
04-22-2013, 08:40 PM
These guys were beyond Russian hating according to those who have seen the videos on his website.

Firth
04-22-2013, 08:44 PM
Riiiiggghhht....

Just shows how stupid journalists are. This nut job was a hater who used religion to self rationalize hate against anybody or organization.

Banquo
04-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Give him due process.

Thank you.

The more I see or hear about this thing, the less I believe.

What I do believe:

1. No one really wants to go out in a "blaze of glory". That's just bullshit. Anyone who is willing to blow themself up is brainwashed. These two guys did neither. There's a whole lot more here than meets the eye.

2. When I was nineteen years-old I might have been mad at my parents, but I didn't blow them up. Beyond that, I just wanted to get laid. I suppose that if my little head told me to commit an act of terrorism, then I might have done exactly that since I was a slave to my little head when in was nineteen. Fortunately, my little head had a one-track mind. I've never met a nineteen year-old man who wasn't mostly influenced by his little head, or by the dominating male in his life. Figure it out.
I'm in no way sympathizing with this guy, but a kid is usually a kid. If not, then you have to wonder why, at least.

3. This whole thing is going way too fast in terms of celebratory acts, and something is terribly wrong with that. If we really want to get to the truth, then it's damn sure not gonna happen by holding up the process. The media needs to back off and let everyone do their jobs, and the ones who should be trying to solve this crime should not be patting themselves on the back at a BoSox game. Save that shit for later. Celebrate when the job's done, and it ain't done yet. We seem to think that we deserve a feel-good moment before some of the real victims can even wrap their heads around the fact that they have no legs or feet.

Cats On Glue
04-22-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm in no way sympathizing with this guy, but a kid is usually a kid. In a way i do. What he participated in is inexcusable. but he`s 19. is rather americanized from all accounts. was intelligent. I think maybe his asshole brother brainwashed him somehow. it`s just hard to imagine this kid having a desire to die for the chechens. these guys were not smart criminals, that`s for sure...something really dont make sense. i hope they eventually get at the truth.

Banquo
04-22-2013, 11:51 PM
In a way i do.

Well, I think that no matter how old you are, once you make a concerted decision to break the law, then you have to deal with the consequences. That's this guy's fate and it's a shame. My point is that we should be spending more time getting to understand why this happens and how to prevent it, and less time spent on calling for their nuts to be cut off.