PDA

View Full Version : RIP Roger Ebert

Facelift
04-04-2013, 03:52 PM
He was a really good film critic, IMO, and a very thoughtful and interesting person, based on his volumious writings.

I really admired how he kept up his writing after his surgeries several years ago, and didnt hide his face.

Very sad.

UnephenStephen
04-04-2013, 03:59 PM
geez what happened? I just read something yesterday saying his cancer had returned but no mention of being on the brink of death. sucks, now both of the classic movie guys are gone (Gene Siskel died in 99).

Facelift
04-04-2013, 04:04 PM
My guess is that his cancer returned somewhat earlier than two days ago, but he probably didnt announce it.

A very nice article:

http://news.yahoo.com/sun-times-famed-movie-critic-roger-ebert-dies-194432507.html

Ebert wrote in 2010 that he did not fear death because he didn't believe there was anything "on the other side of death to fear."
"I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state," he wrote. "I am grateful for the gifts of intelligence, love, wonder and laughter. You can't say it wasn't interesting."

Jerjo
04-04-2013, 04:04 PM
It's a shame that both of these guys are gone. R.I.P. to a truly talented writer and one of the biggest promoters of cinema our generation has seen.

Bucka001
04-04-2013, 04:11 PM
BVD is perhaps my all time fave movie (if not, then it's definitely near the top of my list). I have Roger's autograph on a 1970 BVD poster. I'll always treasure it. RIP

spellbound
04-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Rest in peace, Roger.

Casey
04-04-2013, 04:54 PM
I loved Siskel & Ebert although I didn't always agree with them. They both hated "Butch Cassidy...".

I wish I will have a similar clear & less afraid view towards death when it's my turn. RIP.

JKL2000
04-04-2013, 04:59 PM
"I was perfectly content before I was born, and I think of death as the same state," he wrote.

Wow, what a perfect way to put it. My wife always wonders how I can think/accept that there might be nothing for us after death. Endless contentment is a pretty good way to look at it.

Scrotum Scissor
04-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Just read about this. Sad for sure. I found myself frequently agreeing with many of his asessments, but even when I didn't he had a brilliant mind for the pictures and how to conjure up perspective in words.

Facelift
04-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Just read about this. Sad for sure. I found myself frequently agreeing with many of his asessments, but even when I didn't he had a brilliant mind for the pictures and how to conjure up perspective in words.

Yes, excellent way of putting it. Several people in here seem to have a distaste for film/music/literature criticism in general but I think it's a valid endeavor in itself. IMO, Ebert was excellent - quintessential, even - in the role of producing populist film criticsm. I think he wrote for an audience that was mostly people for whom film was often was just popular entertainment, but who were also receptive to films that could be much more. Which is something, because I don't think that Ebert - who was a bookish, atheist, intellectual film nerd - really fit the mold of the "regular guy."

He was great at saying exactly what he meant and was also excellent at describing the action in the film without giving too much away. Through his writings - even before his cancer changed his perspective - he struck me as a person who genuinely loved film and loved his audience, so even in his pans, he could be funny at a film's expense without being condescending.

philsunset
04-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Very sad news about Roger Ebert. A lover of films and a great critic. I was turned on to, and learned a lot about films because of him. RIP

rapidfirerob
04-04-2013, 06:14 PM
I will miss him as well. I enjoyed his reviews on Siskel and Ebert At The Movies immensely.