PDA

View Full Version : finger picks

llanwydd
03-29-2013, 07:45 AM
I hope this isn't a stupid question. Do they make plastic finger picks? I can only find metal ones. The reason I ask is that I have been teaching myself classical guitar and, if you know about that method, the fingernails are used instead of a pick. The problem is that my fingernails are always breaking which completely changes the sound (tone production, as they say). My idea was to replace a broken fingernail with one of those finger picks that a banjo player uses until the nail grows back but I can only find metal ones. I have been advised against using metal picks because they can damage nylon strings.

Might there be anyone "in the know" who could advise me about fingerpicks or even a method of preventing fingernails from breaking? Thanks in advance

ForeverAutumn
03-29-2013, 08:51 AM
I did a quick google search. Jim Dunlop makes them and sells them on-line. http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/clear-d-plastic-thumbpicks

The page the link goes to says thumb picks, but if you click on "buy now", it looks like the package includes both finger and thumb. There are other styles on the website too.

llanwydd
03-29-2013, 09:43 AM
I did a quick google search. Jim Dunlop makes them and sells them on-line. http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/clear-d-plastic-thumbpicks

The page the link goes to says thumb picks, but if you click on "buy now", it looks like the package includes both finger and thumb. There are other styles on the website too.

Thanks a million! I had already checked Amazon and a few other places and couldn't find anything like that. This might solve my problem.

ForeverAutumn
03-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Good luck! Let me how they work out. I play too and have very soft fingernails so I usually just use my fingertips. But I can't play very loud.

I use the Dunlop Tortex flat picks and love them.

Mikhael
03-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Good luck! Let me how they work out. I play too and have very soft fingernails so I usually just use my fingertips. But I can't play very loud.

That's why my classical has a pickup installed... :)

Seriously, I love the tone I get using fingertips, but playing with anyone else is a nightmare, unless I plug in.

ForeverAutumn
03-29-2013, 11:00 PM
That's why my classical has a pickup installed... :)

Seriously, I love the tone I get using fingertips, but playing with anyone else is a nightmare, unless I plug in.

I have performance anxiety and won't play with or in front of other people, with the exception of my guitar teacher (but I won't sing in front of him). I just play for my own personal enjoyment, so the volume isn't generally an issue. Although, getting a pickup installed in my classical isn't a bad idea.

Progbear
03-30-2013, 04:11 AM
They used to, I own some. I never use them, as I find them cumbersome and prefer to just use my own fingers.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Modra rijeka”-Indexi