PDA

View Full Version : Great sale at Guitar Center, Unless you wanted to buy something

markwoll
03-28-2013, 08:58 PM
I caught this story over at the consumerist.
Over 300 ( around 317) brands of equipment are excluded from the sale.
http://consumermediallc.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/gccouponcomb.png

Scott Bails
03-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Man, I freaking hate when retailers to that.

It would be easier to list what it is good for. :roll

Mr. Grizzly Bear
03-29-2013, 12:10 AM

Jay G
03-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Hey this does suck but as someone that had to buy 2 guitars there the store will make an allowance. Goes to show you how much mark up there is on stuff.

2 years ago spent months looking for a Alpine White Les Paul for my son. Basically Guitar Center and the various on-line retailers associated with Guitar Center have blocked out almost all other retailers from distributing Gibson. I had no choice to buy the guitar from them and they were more than willing to let me use the coupon even though it excluded Gibson products. I was able to secure the guitar cheaper than at any other place.

1 year ago I went through basically the same thing with a Martin for my boy and they also were willing to honor a coupon even though it excluded Martin products.

Of course I am very careful when selecting guitars from them and take nothing that is not factory sealed and is inspected very carefully before I leave.

Back to the point. Just ask them and tell them you will take your business elsewhere if they won't honor the coupon.

Rune Blackwings
03-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Man, I freaking hate when retailers to that.

It would be easier to list what it is good for. :roll

you can get 49$ in Drummer's World magazines

Plasmatopia
03-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Which online retailers are also associated with Guitar Center (Bain Capital)?

Never mind, I found this on Wikipedia:

"Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Music & Arts, Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind, Music 123, and Harmony Central."

So you still have American Musical Supply and Sweetwater...and probably others.

Rune Blackwings
03-31-2013, 03:16 PM
what does bain capital have to do with it?

Plasmatopia
03-31-2013, 03:27 PM
A big company, trying to get bigger, trying to eliminate competition completely...I think I'd rather support the underdog.

Rune Blackwings
04-01-2013, 10:34 AM
yeah....i've seen where that goes (Ritz Camera...)

Jimmy Giant
04-01-2013, 02:06 PM
GC is completely inept. We did buy a new flute for the wife a couple months ago from Music and Arts at a good deal. Had no idea GC consumed them.
Not only are GC salespeople useless and uninformed, they don't stock shit. When the Venom keyboard came out and was making quite a splash, they didn't have one (~$600 list cheap at the time). And they weren't going to stock them. They said I could buy it and if I didn't like it I could return it. What the hell kinda business model is that????
I go to AudioMidi, Novak, ZZounds and Sweetwater. I've yet to go to Chuck Levin's place since moving to Baltimore last year.

Rickenbacker
04-01-2013, 03:22 PM
So basically, the only things left are PanaSony instruments, Guitar Center tote bags & rubber duckies.

ItalProgRules
04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Can't stand TGC. Our local store is full of hipper-than-thou little hipsters who don't know their ass from a low E string.

There are some excellent local stores that will give you great, knowledgable service, and if TGC has a better price (they usually do) my favorite local store will do all they can to get their price down for you.