PDA

View Full Version : The Monkees 12-date tour with Michael Nesmith (November 2012)

mnprogger
11-09-2012, 12:56 PM
So, their tour kicked off last night in Escondido, CA and they played 2 hours I guess. Featuring music from Headquarters and Head.

here's 1 review of last night's opening show:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/monkees-delight-believers-in-reunion-tour-kickoff-20121109

And there was not surprisingly, a big tribute to Davy Jones.

My girlfriend has been waiting over 26 years to see Michael Nesmith live, and next Thursday in Minneapolis, her wait will be over.

Who else is going?

11/08/12 Escondido CA
11/09/12 Santa Barbara CA
11/10/12 Los Angeles CA
11/11/12 Cupertino CA
11/15/12 Minneapolis MN
11/16/12 Chicago IL
11/17/12 Cleveland OH
11/18/12 Buffalo NY
11/29/12 Philadelphia PA
11/30/12 New Brunswick NJ
12/01/12 Huntington NY
12/02/12 New York NY

wideopenears
11-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Paging RapidfireRob.....!!!

rapidfirerob
11-09-2012, 01:28 PM
I am going solo to Cupertino Sunday night. I am so excited. I saw them some years back without Mike, of course. I grew up listening and watching these characters, and they have always been a favorite of mine.

JakeM
11-09-2012, 04:28 PM
I wish I was going but unfortunately they sold out the Keswick in Philly in about 10 minutes and I missed it. So if anyone out there has any extra tickets, please PM me! I'd love to see them with Mike!

Garden Dreamer
11-10-2012, 12:06 PM
I love this part from a review of the opening night show in Rolling Stone:

"At one point, the group did a little comic routine. Before playing the Nesmith-penned tune "Daily Nightly," Dolenz had something extra-special to tell the audience Nesmith had procured a rare, vintage Moog synthesizer to perform the song. In exchange, Dolenz said, he had the lyrics to the song printed in 24-karat gold leaf.

There was just one problem: "I didn't get the Moog," Nesmith confessed. However, he did get a picture of a Moog, which popped up on a big video screen behind the band."

:lol

everyday
11-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Saw Nesmith in London two weeks ago. We waited at the Stage Door afterwards in the hope of getting a CD signed with about 20 other middle-aged people. After about 30 minutes, his van sped up to a different door and he was hustled in saying 'no autographs' - and security pulled a few middle-aged people away with undue force. Not a nice memory. I know he's old etc, but it would have taken 10 minutes if that. Saw Peter Tork about 10 years ago and he set up a table and signed for everyone in the interval.

rapidfirerob
11-12-2012, 02:23 AM
Just saw the show in Cupertino. Good thing I had binoculars as I was in the balcony, fairly far away. The last time I saw them was at The Fillmore without Mike. Great concert! Fantastic seeing Mike sing a number of his songs. They did songs from Head, which was a real treat. I ordered the CD as soon as I got home. Sad seeing Davy on the big screen singing I Wanna Be Free (which by the way was partially blocked by the lights). A woman from the audience sang a long verse from a song I wasn't familiar with, nailed it. The band was great. Two keyboard players, the female keyboard player played some sax and flute as well. Peter played a number of instruments. Mike played keys once, did his moog noises with his mouth. Two women from the front row came up to sing Daydream Believer with the crowd, as the other three feel the song now "belongs to you". Two hours of great fun. They all sang well too. Davy would have enjoyed it as well.

wideopenears
11-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Makes me want to find a copy of "Head" (the movie) and watch it...it has been a long time......

Do I have to do this all over again? Didn't I do it right the first time?

A very psychedelic album, truly....

rapidfirerob
11-12-2012, 01:40 PM
I'd like to see the film again as well. The soundtrack is on its way to my house. I still can't believe Mike is touring with them. There is hope
for the world. :)