PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy to see iPhones lose appeal?

Rickenbacker
03-26-2013, 06:01 AM
...in favor of Samsung Galaxy? Seems Samsung is quickly winning the hearts of the public after Apple's many safe, smug & comfortable years at the top. I'm feeling a sense of satisfaction watching it unfold.

Progbear
03-26-2013, 06:09 AM
Eh, I still have a “dumbphone.”

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:nothing

Brian Griffin
03-26-2013, 06:57 AM
...in favor of Samsung Galaxy? Seems Samsung is quickly winning the hearts of the public after Apple's many safe, smug & comfortable years at the top. I'm feeling a sense of satisfaction watching it unfold.

Delighted!

I went Android a couple of years back - currently have the Note 2

BG

WHORG
03-26-2013, 07:11 AM
I have little allegiance to technology - and think that folks should use what (both) makes them happy and productive.

~jk

Scott Bails
03-26-2013, 08:12 AM
As a proud, happy owner of a Samsung Galaxy SIII, I flat-out love it.

JKL2000
03-26-2013, 08:15 AM
I have a Samsung Galaxy, and kind of hate it. I prefer it to an iPhone because I don't really like any Apple products, but once my Samsung phone was just about one and a half years old, Google stopped supporting the Android Store in favor of Google Play, my apps could no longer get updates. I was unaware that they'd stopped supporting Google Store and didn't know I needed to make TWO OS upgrades to get the damned thing working again, so I just lived with it like that for about six months, which was especially inconvenient the app I was using to get train times couldn't get updated schedules.

It was very difficult to get competent technical support from Samsung and AT&T, I got different answers from different people, etc. It was a big hassle to get the thing working again, and it took several hours of time on the phone, then actually doing the updates. The tool that you were supposed to use to do the updates no longer supported the model I had (Samsung Captivate), so I had to use some other tool which also had problems. It was basically a friggin' nightmare (ok, a 21st century nightmare) that I knew I just had to wade through to avoid having to shell out for a new phone. I've had people say "oh, 1 1/2 years is too long to still be using the same phone, but F that - I can use the same home phone and PC for way longer than that, why should a "smart phone" be any different?

I've known some people who were happy to switch phones every six months or so, but these were single people who had a lot of free time to spend fiddling with gadgets, and it was like a hobby for them. Again, F that.

iPhones are probably more trouble free, but I won't use iTunes, so going the Android way seems easier in that respect.

NogbadTheBad
03-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Very happy with my iphone.

rushfan
03-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Also very happy with my iPhone - was using Android phones for several years prior but became frustrated with all of the different versions based upon model and type.

Rarebird
03-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Should I care?

ronmac
03-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Looks like I'll be getting my first smartphone this year. I'm a long-time Mac user and have little desire to get anything but an iPhone, but will certainly do some research.

Jerjo
03-26-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm fine with my iPhone but I know a few of those smug Apple iZealots and they have been insufferable during Apple ascendancy. Now is my chance to be insufferable during its decline.

No Pride
03-26-2013, 11:40 AM

Same here. It's a flipping flip phone. I get ribbed about it a lot, as in, "do they still make those?!" That's okay with me, I'm admittedly old school. I spend too much time on the Internet as it is, I don't need to take it with me wherever I go. I'll probably end up getting shamed into getting a smart phone at some point... when I can afford one.

davis
03-26-2013, 12:08 PM
I didn't know they were losing appeal but now that I'm aware of it, I'm glad. it suits me to get my wife's hand-me-down phones cause I don't really care. I don't even want the phone she has now cause it's heavy enough to anchor a rowboat. slight exaggeration for effect.

davis
03-26-2013, 12:13 PM
the Internet...I don't need to take it with me wherever I go.

My son can't understand why I don't need to be connected every waking moment. I tell him I don't even want to be connected at all times. no matter my explanation, he doesn't see it that way. so we agreed to disagree on that one. :) and the cycle of life keeps on spinning.

Trane
03-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Yup, my old Startac died out some two years ago, and I bought the basic Samsung clamshell model... don't like it much... everything's reversed on the KB (the menu, on/off, call etc...)... still haven't gotten used much to it, and the te'xting part is a bloody pain...

Should I care?

Ultimately, no!!!
I always disliked Apple's condescending attitude (despite having a certain edge on product reliance on everyone), but I have absolutely no love for samsung or most other brands (and yes, I'm a little glad apple is losing out on market shares)...

Same here. It's a flipping flip phone. I get ribbed about it a lot, as in, "do they still make those?!" That's okay with me, I'm admittedly old school. I spend too much time on the Internet as it is, I don't need to take it with me wherever I go. I'll probably end up getting shamed into getting a smart phone at some point... when I can afford one.

Not a question of affording one for me... Once my old HP laptop dies, I'll go straight to the tablet instead of going to an smartphone... I'll probably head for that µsoft tablet, because I have no wish to learn other exploitation systems (apple or android)

I didn't know they were losing appeal but now that I'm aware of it, I'm glad. it suits me to get my wife's hand-me-down phones cause I don't really care. I don't even want the phone she has now cause it's heavy enough to anchor a rowboat. slight exaggeration for effect.

I know what you mean , but even getting for free one of the smartphones fropm family members does not interest me, because the costs of using it to full possibilities are probably way to expensive via all operators in the Benelux (though Nl is probably cheaper than Bel, but there is a project of unting all three BNL countries under the same communication networks)

nosebone
03-26-2013, 12:45 PM

:lol

Same here!

The F-ing data plans is what I won't buy into.

I'm already paying for a cable modem, three cell phones, a landline, Xbox Live, Netflix on demand and an Ipad with all of it's addictive apps, not to mention my penchant for music, amps and guitars!

ronmac
03-26-2013, 01:12 PM
So, where has this claim come from? Here are 2013 numbers:

http://boygeniusreport.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/canaccord-smartphone-sales-feb13.png

Duncan Glenday
03-26-2013, 01:13 PM
iPhone is to Android as Mac is to PC.

Similar pros and cons, similar types of users will be attracted to each.

I use Android because technology doesn't scare me, because I don't want to be locked into the way I use the instrument, and because unlike iPhones, I can buy a phone from a dozen different manufacturers and my apps will still work.

You want power and flexibility, go Android. But it takes more work.

You want simplicity, go iPhone. But your options are limited.

</thread>

NogbadTheBad
03-26-2013, 01:16 PM
I go iphone because the company I work for offers a nice deal on them. Otherwise I'd go with whatever suited me best.

MudShark22
03-26-2013, 01:25 PM
While I am currently using Android (for many of the same reasons Duncan outlined above); its only temporary for me as I am a fan(atic) of Palm / HP webOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebOS) which has now been open-sourced.

A dedicated team of enthusiasts named webOS Ports (http://webos-ports.org/wiki/Main_Page) are busy porting the operating system to other devices. Initial target devices are the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7. I have purchased both devices to assist with alpha and beta testing of the openwebOS operating system. Once its sufficient for daily use (Phone, email, SMS/MMS, browsing), I probably will not go back to android (though I would be able to dual-boot between android and openwebos).

Duncan Glenday
03-26-2013, 01:30 PM
...I am a fan(atic) of Palm / HP webOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebOS)...

Still?!? You've been touting that for years! :lol

Seriously - if you consider what my old PDA used to do (no, I didn't have a Palm, I had the Windoze version) - with a few small plug-in adaptors - the iPhone/Android/Smart-phone capability existed almost 15 years ago. Kudos to Apple for reviving a rather old concept, giving it a sexy package, and becoming the world's most highly valued company.

MudShark22
03-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Its true Duncan!! I have an illness! :lol I now have:
- 1 HP Touchpad GO (7") - never released commercially (got it from the supplier in the Phillipines)
- 2 HP Touchpads - Wifi only
- 1 HP Touchpad - ATT HSPA+
- 2 HP Palm Pre 3s
- 2 Palm Pre (original models)

All the customization etc. that you like about android can be done on webOS without rooting etc.
I still think its the better system and truly I only need 5-7 apps so I am not 'missing' anything I want.
I am selling *some* of my stash though as I anticipate the need to buy newer devices! :lol
Especially now that LG will be making devices as well.

wideopenears
03-26-2013, 01:41 PM
My iPhone is fine...it's a gen 3 or 4, I can't even remember...no Siri for me. I like Apple stuff...my home computer is a Mac Mini, and I have Apple TV in the living room, so I can stream my music, movies, etc., to my big screen....and I can use my iPad or iPhone as a remote. Duncan's right, options are somewhat limited, but it does what it does quite well, better than some other systems I've seen or used.

I'm not an Apple Fanatic, though....I just find their products easy to use, and asthetically more pleasing, generally, than most of the competition. Nor am I a Microsoft Fanatic, though of course I use some of their equally-monopolistic products. But I am especially not a fan of cell phone companies, in general--carriers, I mean, like ATT and Verizon. In my mind, they are the most unregulated, customer-gouging companies out there.....

Facelift
03-26-2013, 01:44 PM
I've been using burners for the last four years or so, so I don't have a personal stake in smartphones. I do find "apple people" to generally be annoying, but other than that I don't really care about what Apple does. Competition is good for the customer, so I guess I'm glad that there are legitimate competitors in the smartphone market.

Progmatic
03-26-2013, 01:50 PM
I am not sure what is there to be happy about. If the product is better I buy it because of its qualities and not because my emotional attachment to it.
I still prefer iPhone because I believe it offer access to better applications (but I am not comparing the status all the time). Btw I also appreciate the fact that Apple have been pushing the envelope of the wireless devices technology to got us where we are.

Dave (in MA)
03-26-2013, 02:00 PM
A moron texting while driving on a Samsung isn't any less likely to kill me or someone I care about than one t&d on a iPhone, so no.

rapidfirerob
03-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Our daughter pushed us into iPhone land. It's a nice phone. Only the child takes full advantage of the thing. Once you buy these devices, it costs about the same to have one as three. I was just as happy with my Samsung dumb phone. I like using Google Maps to go to gigs, but a GPS would have covered that. Maybe someday I'll appreciate the thing, maybe not. I have internet at home and work. I don't really need it on a phone, hardly use it so far. I got voted down on this one, so we're in. Hey, AT&T needs the money, right?

ronmac
03-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Kudos to Apple for reviving a rather old concept, giving it a sexy package, and becoming the world's most highly valued company.

Packaging is, after all, everything. As long as you can deliver the goods, too.

The whole "Apple user are annoying" thing is getting tired. After all those years of having their asses kicked by an inferior product that grew through licensing more than anything, devotees are just a bit over-excited to have Apple finally embraced by the masses. It took far too many years for Apple to begin promoting Macs against PCs. Even if the ad campaign bugged people, it was nice to finally see. Let's face it, Jobs' business model (after he returned) was brilliant. And there was nobody better at brand-building, IMO.

Just look at all the copycats.

Scott Bails
03-26-2013, 02:09 PM
The whole "Apple user are annoying" thing is getting tired. .

Doesn't make them any less annoying. ;)

Progbear
03-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Should I care?

Considering you’re European, and the whole Apple vs. Samsung “war” seems to be a largely American thing, clearly the answer is “no.” I understand the iPhone isn’t the big “must-have” piece of “look-at-me” tech jewelry outside of North America. Considering all the homegrown tech in Japan, that’s really not surprising. In Europe, they seem to go for homegrown brands like Nokia as well.

-------------
MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Slightly All the Time”-Soft Machine/Third

ronmac
03-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Doesn't make them any less annoying. ;)

Sounds like you have a little insecurity problem, Scotty. ;)

Dave the Brave
03-26-2013, 03:02 PM

Yup me too.
Two tin cans and a long piece of string.

Since I own stock in RIM I'm hoping the new Blackberry does well.

DtB

Jerjo
03-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Can someone tell what the heck app this is at about the 20 second mark, with all the instruments? Almost makes me want to buy a tablet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/apple?v=jvRaNXmsqcM

MudShark22
03-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Its called Rockmate.

http://www.fingerlab.net/website/Fingerlab/Rockmate.html

Dave (in MA)
03-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_0Jp5Xk5Pg

Apple is opening up new frontiers in allowing people to be annoying as hell.

Duncan Glenday
03-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Considering you’re European, and the whole Apple vs. Samsung “war” seems to be a largely American thing, clearly the answer is “no.” I understand the iPhone isn’t the big “must-have” piece of “look-at-me” tech jewelry outside of North America. Considering all the homegrown tech in Japan, that’s really not surprising. In Europe, they seem to go for homegrown brands like Nokia as well.

I can assure you, it's an international thing.

Scott Bails
03-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Sounds like you have a little insecurity problem, Scotty. ;)

Not at all. :)

Jerjo
03-26-2013, 04:12 PM
While we're on the subject of technology, how 'bout this? Build a tablet with an I/R so it can act as a universal remote so we can finally get a single remote control that actually does its job.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2013/03/26/175262114/why-are-tv-remotes-so-terrible

Klonk
03-26-2013, 04:53 PM
I love my iPhone. No reason for me to consider another option.

Smörgåsbord
03-26-2013, 05:03 PM
First, my iPhone fits perfectly into the Apple eco system at home and work. Secondly, I much prefer the IOS user interface to the Android ditto. I also notice that once my non technical wife much prefer IOS.

walt
03-26-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm no Luddite, but somehow, i've managed to survive with a cheap LG clamshell phone,with zero bells and whistles.I'm due for an upgrade next month so i'll probably join the 21st century and get me an inexpensive smart-phone.

Alert the media.

Dave (in MA)
03-26-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm no Luddite, but somehow, i've managed to survive with a cheap LG clamshell phone,with zero bells and whistles.

http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/13JK5kChbRw/mqdefault.jpg

Luxury!

Here's mine: http://www.guzu.com/Utility/GetImage.aspx?w=169&h=128&typ=product&img=e382612f-563d-44e8-8674-d8c2a6b4a317.jpg

ronmac
03-26-2013, 06:48 PM
I've been using my first flip phone for about four years now. I will be forced to upgrade to a smart phone, not because I want to. It's because the nature of my work (branding, graphics, etc.) requires that I understand mobile interfaces better.

So, it will likely be an iPhone. Apple just makes it so damned easy. Like my home wireless network that took about five minutes to set up.

MissKittysMom
03-26-2013, 07:29 PM
As a software developer getting seriously into mobile, I'm keeping up with all the major platforms. I have an iPad, iPod touch, Nexus 7, and a Surface, as well as a MacBook Pro and various Windows 7 and 8 machines. But for a phone, I like my HTC 8X (Windows phone 8). It's fast, easy to customize, very stable, attractively designed, lively, and it doesn't get in my way. I like iOS on the iPad, but not so much on the smaller devices.

I have to say that I don't "get" Android yet. Aside from any of Samsung's add-ons, what is it about Android that people like?

UnephenStephen
03-26-2013, 11:02 PM
if/when i get around to upgrading from my Brew based smart phone, i'm taking a real close look at the Galaxy S4. from what i've read it's a totally awesome phone.

3RDegree_Robert
03-27-2013, 12:37 AM
Happy with my iPhone mostly. I don't get the concept of being content with a perceived winning of a market with Samsung possibly dethroning Apple unless you really had a bad experience with an iPhone, or you work for Samsung or something. Weird thing about me is I've been an Apple user since '99 owning iMacs, Mac Book Pros, Macbook Air, etc. I held out until January 2012 on getting an iPhone somehow and use my work's discount on an AT&T plan with my 2 iPhones and I don't know how I did it. I'm so connected to it-and everything in it-now. I stay with Apple because their phones work with the computers, syncing up and all that nicely. I don't begrudge anyone using something else.

Vic2012
03-27-2013, 04:43 AM
[qoute]I have little allegiance to technology - and think that folks should use what (both) makes them happy and productive.[/quote]

That's me too. I bought a Samsung phone a year ago. It's a smallish, 80 dollar smart phone. I've never downloaded anything on it, or upgraded the OS or anything like that. I've never gotten too fancy with it. I can't imagine not having a smart phone now but all I do with it, besides using it as a phone, I mostly just surf the internet, texting, and store pictures on it. At some point I'll upgrade to one of the Galaxy models (it doesn't have to be the latest model either). Because I'm already familiar with Samsungs and Android I don't need to try something else. I really don't care about brand loyalty. In this case it's all about familiarity.

Oreb
03-27-2013, 05:22 AM
So many new ways to communicate, but nothing more to say...

Trane
03-27-2013, 07:07 AM

Got that wrong, buddy!!! ;)

I can assure you, it's an international thing.

Absolfuckinglutely...
the madness is probably even worse, because Apple purposelly puts on the market too few units at every new launch... and enjoys watching the arseholes biting the bait and fighting each other to be the first to have one... samsung doesn't do it nearly as much

Since I own stock in RIM I'm hoping the new Blackberry does well.

DtB

Well, even if they do manage to market something new successful, I doubt it will last long enough...
They rested on their laurels and that kills in that type of technology (it's what happened to Nokia, IMHO)... RIM is probably too small to be constantly innovating

Paulie
03-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Apple bashers are just as fkn high-larious (and ridiculous) as Apple fanatics. I absolutely love my iPhone (phone, GPS, email on the fly), iPad (comfortable surfing, portable music collection, in-flight entertainment, magazine subscriptions), Mac Mini (the big little brain of my home theater/entertainment center), and Apple TV (seamlessly extends my home theater to other areas). The stuff just works for me. Simple as that.

NogbadTheBad
03-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Getting a Samsung tablet in a week, wondering what that will be like, I'll go wherever I get the best package.

Progmatic
03-27-2013, 08:10 AM
Absolfuckinglutely...
the madness is probably even worse, because Apple purposelly puts on the market too few units at every new launch... and enjoys watching the arseholes biting the bait and fighting each other to be the first to have one... samsung doesn't do it nearly as much

Apple does not try to be a product for everyone...they are trying to provide high quality product for high end market and therefore their prices...I am sure with their capital value of $500 billion+ they could flood market with the cheap alternative products but that is not their strategy...Samsung have a spectrum of the products....

ronmac
03-27-2013, 08:35 AM
I am sure with their capital value of $500 billion+ they could flood market with the cheap alternative products but that is not their strategy...

More importantly, it's just not their brand. And it's a smart move, IMO.

Facelift
03-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Apple does not try to be a product for everyone...they are trying to provide high quality product for high end market and therefore their prices...I am sure with their capital value of $500 billion+ they could flood market with the cheap alternative products but that is not their strategy...

Well, that's what they want you to believe, anyway.

NogbadTheBad
03-27-2013, 09:21 AM
There's a calculation going on here based on how much is free publicity, of people queuing up for new iphones and the resultant excitement, worth, compared to the extras sales value of making enough to meet demand.

Progmatic
03-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Well, that's what they want you to believe, anyway.

So what do you believe? You obviously do not belive in marketing brands...Doyou think they cannot compete with $200+ billion Samsung?

Duncan Glenday
03-27-2013, 10:06 AM
What app - or feature of your smart phone - do you use the most?

For me, in approximate sequence of importance, it's
- GPS
- Music player
- Web browser
- The alarm
- The book reader (Nook)
- World clock

I have a few dozen apps loaded, but those are the ones I use the most.

Facelift
03-27-2013, 10:10 AM
So what do you believe? You obviously do not belive in marketing brands...Doyou think they cannot compete with $200+ billion Samsung?

Why would you say that I do not believe in marketing brands? I think Apple has done an undeniably fantastic job with that (and here we're stepping outside the circle of smartphones and talking about the company as a whole). I'm talking about the actual truth, with respect to their products, and their quality and value in the marketplace. Apple (like Bose for stereo products and Coach for leather accessories, though for different reasons) has done a good job of convincing a lot of people that they're buying something special and high end when they're really not (in Apple's case, often by focusing on factors such as design and ease of use for the average person).

In the cases of all three of those brands, an educated consumer can usually do better - sometimes significantly so - by spending the same money elsewhere. Surely, there's a reason why most of my tech-oriented friends and acquaintances aren't "Apple people" (and why the music/stereo enthusiasts I know wouldn't touch a Bose product, and why people I know into fashion and accessories don't buy Coach). The "Apple people" among my circle of friends and acquaintances tend to be people who don't know much about computers or technology.

I'm no "Apple hater" - hell, I still own two Ipods and I've generally been happy with them (though I maintain that Itunes is pretty shitty, especially the versions from the 2000s), though the only reason why I bought them, (ironically, considering Apple's usual price points) is because the 160gb Ipod was the *cheapest* product of its kind available at the time. I guess when Apple started putting cheaper components into their Ipods starting around 2008 or so, they passed some of those savings onto the consumer.

NogbadTheBad
03-27-2013, 10:25 AM
I use, in order

Phone
Email
Calendar
Messaging
GPS
Weather
Travel sites
Web
Games

Paulie
03-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Texting
Phone
Music (work, commute)
Alarm clock
Camera
GPS
FaceTime
Travel (Passbook, Weather)
iGaragesale
Words with Friends/Angry Birds in any waiting room

ronmac
03-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Apple is not trying to own the tech-savvy market. There will always be people who can do more with something else. But they are the minority. Apple is trying to own the average user market, which is, by far, the majority.

You can't own the entire market, so you go for the biggest share. Sounds like a good business plan to me.

zombywoof
03-27-2013, 11:03 AM
I just got my first iPhone. I don't really care, as 'appeal' has never influenced my tastes in any way.

Vic2012
03-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Browsing web
texting
Checking email
Fartin' around on PE
Phone

Jerjo
03-27-2013, 11:29 AM
I live in a rural area so finding a free wireless connection for my iPhone is about impossible. So I don't do much web-based activity on my phone. And how can you read PE on that little freakin' screen? My wife likes to play with Siri when we're at home and using our wireless network. My best use for her on the road is just telling her who I want to call, it beats dialing any day.

Vic2012
03-27-2013, 11:44 AM
The mobile version of PE works okay, but posting with the tiny keyboard can try your patience.

Progmatic
03-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Why would you say that I do not believe in marketing brands? I think Apple has done an undeniably fantastic job with that (and here we're stepping outside the circle of smartphones and talking about the company as a whole). I'm talking about the actual truth, with respect to their products, and their quality and value in the marketplace. Apple (like Bose for stereo products and Coach for leather accessories, though for different reasons) has done a good job of convincing a lot of people that they're buying something special and high end when they're really not (in Apple's case, often by focusing on factors such as design and ease of use for the average person).

In the cases of all three of those brands, an educated consumer can usually do better - sometimes significantly so - by spending the same money elsewhere. Surely, there's a reason why most of my tech-oriented friends and acquaintances aren't "Apple people" (and why the music/stereo enthusiasts I know wouldn't touch a Bose product, and why people I know into fashion and accessories don't buy Coach). The "Apple people" among my circle of friends and acquaintances tend to be people who don't know much about computers or technology.

I'm no "Apple hater" - hell, I still own two Ipods and I've generally been happy with them (though I maintain that Itunes is pretty shitty, especially the versions from the 2000s), though the only reason why I bought them, (ironically, considering Apple's usual price points) is because the 160gb Ipod was the *cheapest* product of its kind available at the time. I guess when Apple started putting cheaper components into their Ipods starting around 2008 or so, they passed some of those savings onto the consumer.

I see where you are coming from. However the quality of the product is not only technical performance. I have no enough info on every smart phone but let say as example Bose audio products may be technically only, let say, reasonable, but they have very well thought user interface and they tend to have visually appealing modern external design . In the combination with the fact that product is marketed as a prestige brand they represent high quality product.

Duncan Glenday
03-27-2013, 12:18 PM

For me, in approximate sequence of importance, it's
- GPS
- Web browser
- Music player
- The alarm
- The book reader (Nook)
- World clock

I didn't mention the music player :oops fixed it.

The mobile version of PE works okay, but posting with the tiny keyboard can try your patience.

That's one of the reasons I got an Android in the first place - I was able to get a phone with a slide-out keyboard. Much easier to type!

Plasmatopia
03-27-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm not afraid of technology and most of my years of experience with computers has been with Windows (and DOS before that). I was never afraid to dig around and tweak stuff. I got an iPhone because that's what the wife had and handed down to me. I was given an iMac so I use that to sync the phones to. I still have my PC with XP on it and hope it lasts many more years. :)

But the iPhone thing is dead simple, IMO. At this point I have other areas in life I want to focus on - I don't need another project. I'm not afraid of technology, just afraid of wasting time. We've never had a single issue (knock wood) with either iPhone, with the iPod Touches we used to have or the iPad. But we're not doing anything particularly arcane on these devices. We surf the web, check email, check Facebook, take notes, use the calculator, and take pictures or an occasional video. That stuff all seems to work.

I've never seen these "Apple people" that are spoken of here. The most annoying Apple thing I've ever seen were those stupid commercials with the hip Mac guy versus the inept PC guy. But I don't really watch TV with commercials the way I used to...problem solved.

MissKittysMom
03-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Apps:

Phone
Email
Twitter
GPS/maps
Calendar
time of day
wifi hotspot for tablet
weather
some messaging
some web browsing
occasional book reading (Kindle)

I still use an iPod Classic for music and podcasts.

iPad or Surface for reading books (Kindle, GoodReader on iPad for PDF), watching TV/movies, more web browsing.

Reginod
03-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Texting
Alarm/Timer/Stopwatch/Clock
Phone
Browser
Weather/Radar
Camera
Planner/calendar
Ruzzle

I have an iPhone 3. Free with the plan.

As far as IPhone vs. Samsung, aren't they both merely devices? As long as they work . . . . . . . . . .

wideopenears
03-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Apple bashers are just as fkn high-larious (and ridiculous) as Apple fanatics. I absolutely love my iPhone (phone, GPS, email on the fly), iPad (comfortable surfing, portable music collection, in-flight entertainment, magazine subscriptions), Mac Mini (the big little brain of my home theater/entertainment center), and Apple TV (seamlessly extends my home theater to other areas). The stuff just works for me. Simple as that.

Bingo. It's simple. "Simple" doesn't mean "dumb."

Rarebird
03-27-2013, 02:19 PM

As a friend of mine, who started programming computers in the early days, once said: "Make a system any fool can use and only fools will use it.

wideopenears
03-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah, well, programmers tend to think of most of as "fools" when it comes to computers.

Plasmatopia
03-27-2013, 02:55 PM
As a friend of mine, who started programming computers in the early days, once said: "Make a system any fool can use and only fools will use it.

That's a great quote if we think of it in reference to the system of cell phone data and texting plans and their pricing...

But in the original context of the quote (and in my experience) that statement is far too kind to programmers and far too hard on "fools".

ronmac
03-27-2013, 03:14 PM

Indeed. Simplicity can be much more difficult to achieve. I'm reminded of the phrase, "Sorry for writing such a long e-mail. I didn't have time to write a short one."

MissKittysMom
03-27-2013, 06:06 PM
For another old computer quote, "Look at the computer! It's dumber than a human being, but smarter than a programmer!"

Vic2012
03-27-2013, 06:44 PM
That's one of the reasons I got an Android in the first place - I was able to get a phone with a slide-out keyboard. Much easier to type!

I thought of getting one of those but I've gotten used to the soft keyboard. My mobile posting is usually one, two sentences at most. But it disturbs me that I still have to lurk and post on PE while I'm goin' mobile. :lol

mozo-pg
03-27-2013, 06:57 PM
I have my 7 year old cell phone. I carry it about 2-3 percent of the time. I feel locked down and accountable with a cell phone. I do feel that I'm missing the boat with technology for IPhones etc but I doubt I'll buy one. I could easily live without my cell phone.

Chuck AzEee!
03-27-2013, 08:03 PM
G'Day Everyone,

And in context with Roge's post, I am truly "Apple'd" out! What I mean by that is that as of right now, I have purchased the following from Apple:
Apple iPod 20GB 2 Gen
Apple iPod 30GB 4 Gen
Apple iPod Touch 32 GB 2 Gen
Apple iPod Touch 64GB 4 Gen (Currently)
Apple iPhone 4S 16GB (Currently)
Apple iPad 2 64GB (Currently)

Now asides for giving Apple a lot of money over the years, what I like about Apple is that their iOS is made ready for their products unlike the Android OS which is made ready through the mobile carrier months after the OS was designed.

Apple seems to be going against everything Steve Jobs was against. The company was quite innovative and villaniously cutthroat in their rise to the top, but now that company seems to be falling behind other barands that are hell bent on tearing them down.

I have no problem with my iPhone 4S, the battery life is tolerable, iTunes blows major chunks. Just horrible.

I am looking forward to upgrading to either the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in December via a different carrier or the Samsung Galaxy S4 as an early upgrade with Verizon.

3LockBox
03-27-2013, 09:38 PM
I don't have brand allegiances.

Rickenbacker
03-27-2013, 10:02 PM
iTunes blows major chunks. Just horrible.

Yyyyup.

Chuck AzEee!
03-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Oh yes and the music app for the iPad was ruined during last years 5 iOS update. Way to go Apple i guess the engineers and designers are venting their frustrations and Samsung better be careful of going down the same route, Samsung users are not impressed with the S4.

Dave (in MA)
03-27-2013, 11:33 PM
I have my 7 year old cell phone. I carry it about 2-3 percent of the time. I feel locked down and accountable with a cell phone. I do feel that I'm missing the boat with technology for IPhones etc but I doubt I'll buy one. I could easily live without my cell phone.Mine stays in my car's cupholder unless I'm somewhere where I need to make a call, or I've prearranged to have someone call me.
I almost always have an MP3 player or two on me, though.
https://www.iretron.com/uploads/product/picture/thumb/small/apple_ipod_nano_6th_generation_8GB.jpghttp://www.toptronicstore.com/image/cache/data/pixmania2/l_03921007-120x120.jpg

3RDegree_Robert
03-28-2013, 12:23 AM
I think because of the mobileme>icloud integration, Apple has their happy customers "brand allegiance" if only because they want it all to work together. I think you go the way you go for whatever reason when you get into computing and then unless something goes seriously awry you are on your path. I'll tell you though, my Mom is a technophobe and even though she got an Apple, she was literally scared of it. Turning it on, opening email, etc. Just couldn't deal with it. Really annoying to witness that lazy, timidness toward a piece of metal with a power button and keyboard on it.

Adrian
03-28-2013, 01:42 AM
iPhone is to Android as Mac is to PC.

Similar pros and cons, similar types of users will be attracted to each.

I use Android because technology doesn't scare me, because I don't want to be locked into the way I use the instrument, and because unlike iPhones, I can buy a phone from a dozen different manufacturers and my apps will still work.

You want power and flexibility, go Android. But it takes more work.

You want simplicity, go iPhone. But your options are limited.

</thread>

That's pretty much it, right there.

I like to customize my experience, so Android works for me. My wife doesn't -- she wants to pull something out of the box and have it work with no fuss, so Apple works for her. I also can't deal with those dinky screens on the iPhone. My first smartphone was a Dell Streak, with the 5-inch screen -- I got it mainly for the size, but that's also how I got familiar and comfortable with Android. Quite happy now with my Galaxy Note.

There are a lot of smug Apple fanatics out there, but there are also people like my wife who just like Apple products better and don't think of their phones and tablets as some kind of status symbol. So while I don't mind seeing Apple's stock getting smacked around a little -- serves the fanatics right who thought Apple was just going to keep rising forever and ever, while everyone else with a bit of common sense now gets a bargain stock, and probably soon an increased dividend -- I don't begrudge anyone their choice of electronic devices. Like your iWhatevers? Knock yourself out. ;)

Chuck AzEee!
03-28-2013, 06:10 AM
That's pretty much it, right there.

I like to customize my experience, so Android works for me. My wife doesn't -- she wants to pull something out of the box and have it work with no fuss, so Apple works for her. I also can't deal with those dinky screens on the iPhone. My first smartphone was a Dell Streak, with the 5-inch screen -- I got it mainly for the size, but that's also how I got familiar and comfortable with Android. Quite happy now with my Galaxy Note.

There are a lot of smug Apple fanatics out there, but there are also people like my wife who just like Apple products better and don't think of their phones and tablets as some kind of status symbol. So while I don't mind seeing Apple's stock getting smacked around a little -- serves the fanatics right who thought Apple was just going to keep rising forever and ever, while everyone else with a bit of common sense now gets a bargain stock, and probably soon an increased dividend -- I don't begrudge anyone their choice of electronic devices. Like your iWhatevers? Knock yourself out. ;) Hah! Did you cut and paste this from CNET? Just kidding! But seriously, like Duncan mentioned, I personally like the aspect of being able to control everything without the so called easier to control Apple ecosystem that seems to have been screwed up without resolve lately.

Dont mess with my music and iTunes has been bad.

Plasmatopia
03-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Can someone give examples of what "customizing ones experience" means in the context of using a smart phone? Is this cosmetic stuff or does it improve ease of use?

nycsteve
03-28-2013, 08:27 AM
I have a Casio Ravine flip phone. Can survive 30 minutes in 10 feet of water, impervious to dust , impact proof from a 6 foot drop. Battery life, days and days, super talk time. Gets a signal where other phones fail. Has a compass, tide chart and basic goodies. The texting ability on the account is disabled, you want to talk to me, you must actually talk. I dont have the luxury of time to surf the net and send emails at work. I see the need in some jobs to do so but in mine its a distracting time waster, and being self employed time literally is money. I see people isolated in social situations,finger pushing in a corner , hypnotised in thier interactions with thier smart phones. I have an old fashioned notion that it is rude for a person ,during face to face interaction,to divide thier time between conversation and texting meaningless drival on thier phones. I turn my phone off when giving an estimate to a potential client, if I cant give him my full attention before he's my customer, what will make him think I can ever give it?
Personally I find this fixation on being permently wired in a liability and not an asset.

Rickenbacker
03-28-2013, 08:29 AM
While we're talking about iTunes, a buddy of mine sold me her 3rd gen. iPod Touch, so I've pretty much had to use iTunes. I've heard so many horror stories about people losing their music after updating iTunes, that I'm afraid to do it. I still use iTunes version 10. (I think it's currently 11.something) I know. Backing up would offset a catastrophe & I have backed up. But I don't need the hassle of potentially starting from scratch.

And the last time I tried, it was a HUGE hassle if you wanted to put music from your iPod to iTunes. & the process of transferring iTunes to a new computer was pretty complicated. ('least to me)

For me, iTunes is an accident waiting to happen.

Progmatic
03-28-2013, 08:31 AM
I have a Casio Ravine flip phone. Can survive 30 minutes in 10 feet of water, impervious to dust , impact proof from a 6 foot drop. Battery life, days and days, super talk time. Gets a signal where other phones fail. Has a compass, tide chart and basic goodies. The texting ability on the account is disabled, you want to talk to me, you must actually talk. I dont have the luxury of time to surf the net and send emails at work. I see the need in some jobs to do so but in mine its a distracting time waster, and being self employed time literally is money. I see people isolated in social situations,finger pushing in a corner , hypnotised in thier interactions with thier smart phones. I have an old fashioned notion that it is rude for a person ,during face to face interaction,to divide thier time between conversation and texting meaningless drival on thier phones. I turn my phone off when giving an estimate to a potential client, if I cant give him my full attention before he's my customer, what will make him think I can ever give it?
Personally I find this fixation on being permently wired in a liability and not an asset.

...kind of unusual approach in the era of ecommerce and internet driven business...

NogbadTheBad
03-28-2013, 08:40 AM
While we're talking about iTunes, a buddy of mine sold me her 3rd gen. iPod Touch, so I've pretty much had to use iTunes. I've heard so many horror stories about people losing their music after updating iTunes, that I'm afraid to do it. I still use iTunes version 10. (I think it's currently 11.something) I know. Backing up would offset a catastrophe & I have backed up. But I don't need the hassle of potentially starting from scratch.

And the last time I tried, it was a HUGE hassle if you wanted to put music from your iPod to iTunes. & the process of transferring iTunes to a new computer was pretty complicated. ('least to me)

For me, iTunes is an accident waiting to happen.I just transfered my iTunes from an old PC to a newer laptop. As I have all my music loaded on an external backup hard-drive all I did was plug the hard-drive into the laptop and import the music folder into iTunes on the laptop. Three clicks & all my music is on the new machine. Not exactly tough.

I have an old fashioned notion that it is rude for a person ,during face to face interaction,to divide thier time between conversation and texting meaningless drival on thier phones. I turn my phone off when giving an estimate to a potential client, if I cant give him my full attention before he's my customer, what will make him think I can ever give it?
How do you know the texting is drivel? It's likely to be work & it's just multitasking. The number of meetings I have to sit through at work where I'm needed for around 20% of the meeting I'd lose a lot of worktime if I didn't multitask. I completely agree with you on making a proposal to a customer. If you are making apitch for business you need to be focused on the face to face interaction. You are probably missing out on some business if you aren't utilizing ecommerce & the internet.

Rickenbacker
03-28-2013, 08:47 AM
I just transfered my iTunes from an old PC to a newer laptop. As I have all my music loaded on an external backup hard-drive all I did was plug the hard-drive into the laptop and import the music folder into iTunes on the laptop. Three clicks & all my music is on the new machine. Not exactly tough.

I wish I'd seen that before trying this:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2187421_transfer-music-ipod-itunes.html

Facelift
03-28-2013, 08:47 AM
I have an old fashioned notion that it is rude for a person ,during face to face interaction,to divide thier time between conversation and texting meaningless drival on thier phones. I turn my phone off when giving an estimate to a potential client, if I cant give him my full attention before he's my customer, what will make him think I can ever give it?

Agreed - people who do this are utterly classless.

Plasmatopia
03-28-2013, 09:31 AM
I think it depends on the context of the interaction. In the case of delivering an estimate a certain focus is most likely required to do that effectively. And at that point you're still in "sales" mode - you need to make a good impression. Now if you were, say, a contractor meeting a client to give them an update on work-in-progress the rules could be different. They might be glad to see you have your phone on which might help with communications required to expedite work that is being done at that very moment...

MudShark22
03-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Can someone give examples of what "customizing ones experience" means in the context of using a smart phone? Is this cosmetic stuff or does it improve ease of use?

Sometimes cosmetic stuff does increase ease of use; but in the spirit of the question:
With android, just about all aspects of the OS are adjustable. Currently I have altered my Galaxy Nexus
- Custom linux kernel (franco kernel) which has both CPU cores overclocked and i/o and TCP algorithms adjusted/modified
- Custom andriod ROM (CyanogendMod 10.1 M2) which offers additional operating system settings / adjustments as well as UI/UX tweaks (e.g. swipeable extra dock screens, reducing number of homescreens, how icons are presented - 5x5, 4x4....)
- A theme for pretty icons! :lol

I was also able to do this with HP / Palm's webOS but in a more user friendly process. That OS bridged the gap between android's almost infinite customization and iOS' 'just works' ethos. I prefer webOS but its a niche OS at best.

Adrian
03-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Hah! Did you cut and paste this from CNET? Just kidding! But seriously, like Duncan mentioned, I personally like the aspect of being able to control everything without the so called easier to control Apple ecosystem that seems to have been screwed up without resolve lately.

Dont mess with my music and iTunes has been bad.

iTunes is the only Apple product I use, and that's only out of habit. I really need to find a good alternative.

I like the point you made earlier about how Apple has changed post-Steve Jobs. He may have been a big jerk, but he sure knew what it took to set Apple apart and turn it into a juggernaut.

wideopenears
03-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Sometimes cosmetic stuff does increase ease of use; but in the spirit of the question:
With android, just about all aspects of the OS are adjustable. Currently I have altered my Galaxy Nexus
- Custom linux kernel (franco kernel) which has both CPU cores overclocked and i/o and TCP algorithms adjusted/modified
- Custom andriod ROM (CyanogendMod 10.1 M2) which offers additional operating system settings / adjustments as well as UI/UX tweaks (e.g. swipeable extra dock screens, reducing number of homescreens, how icons are presented - 5x5, 4x4....)

I was also able to do this with HP / Palm's webOS but in a more user friendly process. That OS bridged the gap between android's almost infinite customization and iOS' 'just works' ethos. I prefer webOS but its a niche OS at best.

See, thank goodness for Apple!:D

I'm no technophobe, but.........why?

Scott Bails
03-28-2013, 11:51 AM
iTunes is the only Apple product I use, and that's only out of habit. I really need to find a good alternative.

Any alternative is "good" compared to iTunes.

MudShark22
03-28-2013, 12:25 PM
See, thank goodness for Apple!:D

I'm no technophobe, but.........why?

As a teenager, I tinkered with cars. In my 20s-early 30s, I built PC gaming rigs. Now in my 40s, I customize my convergence device(s).

I am just not interested in having the same convergence device as all those buyers of the 85+ million iPhones sold since 2007. Just that simple.

If I did have an iPhone, I would have jailbroken it and customized it anyway.

MissKittysMom
03-28-2013, 02:41 PM

As a software developer, this is one of the things I dislike intensely about Android. If I build an app that runs on Android, how am I supposed to support it on a device that (1) has custom kernel, (2) has custom android ROM, (3) is overclocked, (4) has non-standard TCP layer in the network stack, (5) generic-deity knows what else?

MudShark22
03-28-2013, 02:54 PM
As an app developer, I certainly understand that potential fustration.
However, the VAST majority of android users are (a) Still multiple OS versions behind, due to the CARRIERS, not the end user; (b) If current on OS, then still running stock under the hood.

The 5-10% of android users who do things like I do; we are less concerned with apps overall than tuning the engine so to speak.

Brian Griffin
03-28-2013, 02:57 PM
If I build an app that runs on Android, how am I supposed to support it on a device that (1) has custom kernel, (2) has custom android ROM, (3) is overclocked, (4) has non-standard TCP layer in the network stack, (5) generic-deity knows what else?

How does everyone else selling Android apps do so?

:)

BG

Jay G
03-28-2013, 06:01 PM
I am a recent IPhone user converted from BlackBerry. I primarily use the device for business purposes.

E-mail - primary e-mail for business when I travel outside the office. Have an IPAD that is integrated into our e-mail server as well.
Sales Force Custom App for my company - allows me to log all of my sales activity on the go
Calendar - business and personal
Phone - people sometimes forget that is the primary function of these devices.
Messaging/Texting
Social Media - Linked In, Twitter, Facebook
Assorted other custom business apps for my company - chat, expense reporting, time reporting, etc
Games - Bejeweled Blitz, Angry Birds, Words with Friends, Song Pop
Web Browser
General apps - Starbucks, Open table, Gas Buddy, Card Star, ESPN, Amazon, My Verizon, etc

Adrian
03-29-2013, 12:21 AM

Facebook
Web Search/Browser
Camera
Text
Navigation/GPS
YouTube (mostly for the kiddo)
S Memo (for terribly mundane things like grocery lists)
Phone
Weather
Slacker Radio
NFL app

Plasmatopia
03-29-2013, 07:07 AM

Thanks for that. I can see the appeal for those who like that sort of thing, for sure. I guess if I had the option I might mess with some of those types of things given enough time alone with my phone... :) But nothing you listed jumped out at me as inspiration for jumping to Android.

Rune Blackwings
03-31-2013, 08:36 AM
one of Samsung's pluses is that it is more affordable than its competition while maintaining a decent product, at least that was my experience when selling their cameras. I think it is good Apple has some competition, as competition should force Apple into either upping their game on quality, price and service, or to (hopefully not, as every handheld thing I have has a bitten apple logo on it) go out of the game.

Rune Blackwings
03-31-2013, 08:43 AM

In no order:

Alarm
Timer
Camera
Music (iTunes player, LastFM)
Shazam (song identification)
Flashlight
Internet
Assorted Games
Photo Editor
Language Translator
eMail
Calculator
PayPal
eBay
Messaging
Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest)
World Clock
World Weather

NogbadTheBad
03-31-2013, 09:26 AM
In no order:

Alarm
Timer
Camera
Music (iTunes player, LastFM)
Shazam (song identification)
Flashlight
Internet
Assorted Games
Photo Editor
Language Translator
eMail
Calculator
PayPal
eBay
Messaging
Social Media (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest)
World Clock
World WeatherSo you don't actually use it as a .... phone?

ronmac
03-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Wow, how can anyone do photo editing on such a tiny display? Just curious.

Plasmatopia
03-31-2013, 09:53 AM
I don't think we're talking Photoshop level editing. More like applying filters, adding borders, cropping, etc. But I could be wrong.

Adrian
03-31-2013, 10:39 AM
one of Samsung's pluses is that it is more affordable than its competition while maintaining a decent product, at least that was my experience when selling their cameras. I think it is good Apple has some competition, as competition should force Apple into either upping their game on quality, price and service, or to (hopefully not, as every handheld thing I have has a bitten apple logo on it) go out of the game.

Apple isn't going anywhere. They have such an enormous pile of cash that they could coast on that alone for years, even if they still weren't selling millions of iDevices every year. The thing is, it's not like Apple has fallen on hard times -- it's just that they're not blowing away analysts' earnings estimates anymore. They're still raking in money, just not as much as before.

I think where they'll have to give a little is on their enormous margins. There's been talk of a low-end iPhone for emerging markets, or for people here who can't or don't want to pay for the standard model with all the bells and whistles. That would open up a huge untapped market for Apple. There's also talk of a "smart" wristwatch -- something that apparently does a lot of the things your smartphone can do, only miniaturized -- and a "smart" TV of some sort.

They're already trying things that Steve Jobs would have squashed in their tracks, like the iPad Mini. Steve Jobs said a 7-inch tablet was DOA, and now Apple is selling a 7.9-inch tablet that's outselling the full-sized device. They'll figure out a way to keep things going strong.

Rune Blackwings
03-31-2013, 11:02 AM
So you don't actually use it as a .... phone?

only to order sushi

Rune Blackwings
03-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Wow, how can anyone do photo editing on such a tiny display? Just curious.

it is not as hard as you think. it's not like adding human faces on animal bodies anyway. it is mostly color correcting, sharpening, cropping, filtering, that sort of stuff. I took to doing photo editing on my iphone when I was creating a manual for work for mail room procedures. i was creating diagrams on how to operate the mail machine and do maintenance on it when my computer with photoshop was replaced by one without photoshop and management decided i was not going to get photoshop again, so i improvised using my iphone's camera, editing the photos on the iphone and emailing them to my work email so I could load them into the manual. was not completely happy, but the mail room manual got done.

ronmac
03-31-2013, 11:14 AM
I don't think we're talking Photoshop level editing. More like applying filters, adding borders, cropping, etc. But I could be wrong.

Yeah, I figured as much. That's not really editing, but I get the point. Semantics, I suppose.

Rune Blackwings
03-31-2013, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I figured as much. That's not really editing, but I get the point. Semantics, I suppose.

it is technically. they had other names for it before it was digital-retouching, color correcting, airbrushing, artwork-but it is still altering the picture in some fashion, so it is editing.

Gruno
03-31-2013, 11:37 AM
Any alternative is "good" compared to iTunes.

Your hatred for Apple shines bright still :yell

Rune Blackwings
03-31-2013, 11:44 AM
i still like itunes despite what scott bawls about

ronmac
03-31-2013, 12:06 PM
it is technically. they had other names for it before it was digital-retouching, color correcting, airbrushing, artwork-but it is still altering the picture in some fashion, so it is editing.

Certainly not looking for a debate. I don't necessarily consider enhancements, like color-correction (or sepia tone, for example), formal editing, in today's sense. But, once again, we're talking semantics here, so it's really no biggie.

When I do it for clients, I tend to distinguish between enhancements and editing, because the latter is more work-intensive and requires a bit more technical skill. Of course, color correction requires more expertise than it seems to most.

But, I digress. ;)

Rune Blackwings
03-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Certainly not looking for a debate. I don't necessarily consider enhancements, like color-correction (or sepia tone, for example), formal editing, in today's sense. But, once again, we're talking semantics here, so it's really no biggie.

When I do it for clients, I tend to distinguish between enhancements and editing, because the latter is more work-intensive and requires a bit more technical skill. Of course, color correction requires more expertise than it seems to most.

But, I digress. ;)

i'm very good at color correcting-not to pat myself on the back.

Plasmatopia
03-31-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm colorblind and your work is wasted on me. :)

Rune Blackwings
03-31-2013, 02:27 PM

if i knew you were colorblind, i would not need to correct your work at all. :p

AcousticWalden
03-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Never understood the hatred for iTunes, works quite well for me. Used with iPad and the iTunes remote app I can nicely control my electronic library of 45k tunes from my deck. It's a bit quirky transferring the library to other computers, but I've never seen much better.

As for android v pc v iPhone, since id like to try developing an app, I'm interested in giving android a try, I like concept of open source. This said, iPhone has been pretty great device, can't imagine the world without one now.

trurl
03-31-2013, 02:42 PM
I'm indifferent.

Plasmatopia
03-31-2013, 02:47 PM
if i knew you were colorblind, i would not need to correct your work at all. :p

That's not what my coworker says...I'm doing a wiring project involving colored wires...it might need a second set of eyes. :)

Scott Bails
03-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Never understood the hatred for iTunes, works quite well for me.

Do you use a Mac or a PC?

ronmac
03-31-2013, 07:35 PM

The most talented artist I've ever known is color blind.

ronmac
03-31-2013, 07:36 PM
i'm very good at color correcting-not to pat myself on the back.

I hope you're not doing that on your mobile device. Not a good platform for color correction.

Jerjo
03-31-2013, 08:24 PM
iTunes works fine on Apple products but sucks beyond sucking on anything else. I have an iPhone and am thinking of getting an iPad for a tablet just so the two can coordinate. Still, any serious work I do on the computer is done on Windows machines.

Rune Blackwings
04-01-2013, 10:31 AM
I hope you're not doing that on your mobile device. Not a good platform for color correction.

i normally do not have to with digital cameras, including iphone

Vic2012
04-01-2013, 10:45 AM
I read/heard something recently that the Iphone camara is the best phone camera there is, and that it's even better (or as good as) some good digital cameras. I have a friend with an iPhone who says there are even special lens adapters for iPhone cameras and people who take pictures for a living say the iPhone camera is a good camera. I don't usually take pictures with my phone but I store pictures on the phone. Beliweve it or not, one of the reasons I bought a smart phone was to have a picture gallery instead of carrying old photos of my kid in my wallet.

Plasmatopia
04-01-2013, 11:43 AM
I read/heard something recently that the Iphone camara is the best phone camera there is, and that it's even better (or as good as) some good digital cameras. I have a friend with an iPhone who says there are even special lens adapters for iPhone cameras and people who take pictures for a living say the iPhone camera is a good camera. I don't usually take pictures with my phone but I store pictures on the phone. Beliweve it or not, one of the reasons I bought a smart phone was to have a picture gallery instead of carrying old photos of my kid in my wallet.

Look around for amateur photography thread. Pretty much no one in that thread agreed that the iPhone was a very good camera. But for my pedestrian purposes it does just fine.

Duncan Glenday
04-01-2013, 11:48 AM

The issue with the iPhone (or any phone) camera is the LENS.

That teeny weeny pinhole-sized plastic, which gets scuffed when the phone is in your pocket, cannot possibly produce a picture with the same quality as a better quality lens which is protected behind a cover when not in use.

ronmac
04-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Yeah, those lenses are just way too small for any serious photography. Certainly nowhere near good enough for commercial work.

And, whether digital or not, there's always some need for color-correction or other enhancements. Especially, for commercial use.

Paulie
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Look around for amateur photography thread. Pretty much no one in that thread agreed that the iPhone was a very good camera.ZzzzzZZzzzzzZZzzZZZ.

I take mind-blowingly good pictures of my basses with my iPhone 4S. Not pro by any stretch of the imagination, but mind-blowingly good...for a phonecam. You just need a good light source and a steady hand. Here's my latest builds:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-6/IMG_2007_zps8836503f.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-6/IMG_2008_zpsa95b3df4.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-6/IMG_2009_zps41d8c11d.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-6/IMG_2010_zps0b1674d6.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-6/IMG_2011_zps9b7b1960.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-6/IMG_2012_zps1080a724.jpg

Paulie
04-01-2013, 01:19 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-6/IMG_2013_zps480bdec7.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-6/IMG_2014_zps5c0b4402.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-6/IMG_2015_zpsbfd8b3f5.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-6/IMG_2016_zps9a8b4f44.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-6/IMG_2017_zpseb86f1a8.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-6/IMG_2018_zps6fac744d.jpg

Paulie
04-01-2013, 01:20 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2019_zpsfa763844.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2020_zps1d6e6279.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2022_zpse1d3812b.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2023_zps1f342221.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2024_zpsf8392350.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2025_zpsaef682c1.jpg

Paulie
04-01-2013, 01:21 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2026_zps420ffa39.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2027_zpsd3f1e16a.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2028_zps2d926ac6.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2029_zps5e44714e.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2030_zpsea8898b9.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2031_zpse0fe0482.jpg

Paulie
04-01-2013, 01:21 PM
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2034_zps257a0a85.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2035_zpsc4fae2fa.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2036_zpsa2376e79.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2037_zps1def2f5b.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/PBJ-7/IMG_2038_zps8496f72a.jpg

Paulie
04-01-2013, 01:22 PM
[/plug] :D:D:D

Paulie
04-01-2013, 01:28 PM
or these:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/IMG_1726_zpscef3621b.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x127/kelleybug7/IMG_1724_zpscddc035c.jpg

NogbadTheBad
04-01-2013, 02:00 PM
I think we could have got the point after one photo.

Paulie
04-01-2013, 02:21 PM
What fkn fun would that be?

Dave (in MA)
04-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Let's have some px of the mantis posing with the basses.

walt
04-01-2013, 02:27 PM
A photo of the mantis playing the bass would be awesome.;)

Beautiful instruments,Paul....truly.

Paulie
04-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Mantes are built to play bass.

Thanks Walt!

Plasmatopia
04-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Paulie said: I take mind-blowingly good pictures of my basses with my iPhone 4S. Not pro by any stretch of the imagination, but mind-blowingly good...for a phonecam. You just need a good light source and a steady hand. Here's my latest builds:

Whoa! I love that first bass. Sweet! They both put my cheap P-Basses to shame...

Duncan Glenday
04-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Very nice instruments, and very nice pics.

(Imagine how nice those pics would have been with a real camera :p)

ronmac
04-01-2013, 04:12 PM
Very nice instruments, and very nice pics.

(Imagine how nice those pics would have been with a real camera :p)

They certainly are nice pics. Most digital photos look good in low-res, and the web page is the most-forgiving of all mediums. The proof is in the high-res image. Take it from one who does heavy Photoshop work. Many smaller cameras are loaded with jpeg artifacts that are a damned mess to deal with. But, to my earlier point, the small lens distortion and limited focal depth are the real issues. Yes, photos like the basses look fantastic with all those curves and angles. But try to take a shot of a house or something else that's square or rectangular.

rapidfirerob
04-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Being a bass player, I appreciate the photos, though I think they were posted on the wrong site (rhymes with Walk Bass). The issue I have found is I can't take photos at any distance at low light that look decent, as I was hoping to do at concerts (iPhone 5).

Plasmatopia
04-01-2013, 08:23 PM
The most talented artist I've ever known is color blind.

That's very cool. It makes sense somehow. But you wouldn't want to see any art that I made, believe me. :)

markwoll
04-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Best app for an iPhone I have seen in a long time
aerostich-sidestand-plate-app (http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/special-products/aerostich-sidestand-plate-app.html)

Rune Blackwings
04-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Look around for amateur photography thread. Pretty much no one in that thread agreed that the iPhone was a very good camera. But for my pedestrian purposes it does just fine.

if you are trying to take important photos, no, it isn't. but for a phone, it is pretty decent.

Rune Blackwings
04-01-2013, 10:10 PM
They certainly are nice pics. Most digital photos look good in low-res, and the web page is the most-forgiving of all mediums. The proof is in the high-res image. Take it from one who does heavy Photoshop work. Many smaller cameras are loaded with jpeg artifacts that are a damned mess to deal with. But, to my earlier point, the small lens distortion and limited focal depth are the real issues. Yes, photos like the basses look fantastic with all those curves and angles. But try to take a shot of a house or something else that's square or rectangular.

why would you want a high res on a phone? it uses a lot of storage to keep them.

AcousticWalden
04-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Do you use a Mac or a PC?

Actually, I've used both as for iTunes it's almost identical between both. First Mac mini with full library, now old pc hooked to receiver.

Scott Bails
04-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Actually, I've used both as for iTunes it's almost identical between both.

Could not disagree more.

iTunes is a total dog on PC.

Not to mention that it's completely unnecessary.

ronmac
04-01-2013, 11:15 PM
why would you want a high res on a phone? it uses a lot of storage to keep them.

Where did I say that? We were talking about photo quality, which can only truly be seen in high-res images.

Digital_Man
04-02-2013, 12:25 AM
I have an iphone(the earliest version)and I'm not that crazy about it to be honest. It's ok but eventually I want to upgrade.

Paulie
04-02-2013, 08:10 AM
...I appreciate the photos, though I think they were posted on the wrong site...
This being said in a thread about iPhones? :lol

Those pics are on TalkBass (see more in the Warmoth Owners Group thread). Why do you think I posted so many? I just copied my post there and pasted here out of sheer laziness! :D

3LockBox
04-04-2013, 10:25 AM
I don't however, mind that i-phones maintain their popularity. Let them wait months for product, let them pay three prices for product.

I use a Samsung phone but will always remain a step or two behind the latest releases - its cheaper that way.

Plasmatopia
04-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Three prices?

Gruno
04-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Never understood the hatred for iTunes, works quite well for me.

Same for me. What else do people want it to do -- turn an LP over to side B??

Could not disagree more.

iTunes is a total dog on PC.

Not to mention that it's completely unnecessary.

Ok, since no one else took the bait, I guess I will: why is iTunes "completely unnecessary"?

Scott Bails
04-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Because you don't need it for anything.

There's nothing iTunes does that you can't accomplish in other, less-memory-hogging, less Apple-restrictive ways.

Wanna sync to your device? Winamp can do that.

Wanna listen to music? Winamp can do that.

Wanna buy music? There are a million ways to do that.

Gruno
04-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Because you don't need it for anything.

There's nothing iTunes does that you can't accomplish in other, less-memory-hogging, less Apple-restrictive ways.

Wanna sync to your device? Winamp can do that.

Wanna listen to music? Winamp can do that.

Wanna buy music? There are a million ways to do that.

I s'pose that since I have all Apple products, then I don't need anything else.

Your hatred for all things Apples runs strong in your blood. :lol

Scott Bails
04-04-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm just not a fan of over-priced, over-hyped products.

Gruno
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM

I can see that side to it. On that note, it would be interesting to see what products you do buy (ie: Coca~Cola, etc) that are probably as "hyped" within their own category as Apple products ;)

For me, it doesn't matter. They have what I like and I am not poor when purchasing their products. Not that I am some rich dude, not at all. As for the hype -- that has no affect on me. The durability of my Apple products is what keeps me happy the most. My desktop is going in its 6th year of life; my 160gb iPod Classic is just slightly older; MacBook Pro (laptop) is nearing its 3rd birthday; iPhone 4s I've had since 2011 is giving me no complaints. I also have an iPod from 2004 and an iBook (laptop) from 2004. Both come in handy and get used often.

Apple gives me a huge smile!

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/goblynzgroove/misc/mac_zps05ada490.jpg

ronmac
04-04-2013, 11:45 AM

Well, Scott, there's price and then there's value. I happen to highly value my Mac over any of the less-efficient Windows-based computers I've worked on. I don't think it's hype as much as ease-of-use and intuitiveness that leads to the brand loyalty.

NogbadTheBad
04-04-2013, 11:52 AM
My understanding was that iTunes is free.

Facelift
04-04-2013, 12:19 PM
My understanding was that iTunes is free.

It is free - in monetary cost. The cost in other areas, however, is prohibitively high. :)

Anythying but I-Tunes, and you certainly don't need to be an apple-hater to feel this way.

Scott Bails
04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Well, Scott, there's price and then there's value.

Yes, exactly right.

And there's no way in hell that I think you get value for what Apple charges - that's my point.

The most over-priced products I've ever encountered.

I get that many love their stuff - that's great.

They're (mostly) not for me. I sincerely hope the rest of you enjoy them.

rapidfirerob
04-04-2013, 12:38 PM
iPhone 5s and 6 are supposedly designs of Steve Jobs.

ItalProgRules
04-04-2013, 12:46 PM
First they told me I had to have a flip phone, so I got a flip phone. Then it had to be a slide phone, so I got a slide phone.

Now my friends call me a Luddite because I don't have an itouchsmartphoneberrywhatever.

iQuit! :)

iWant to live in a cave with no money! :)

NogbadTheBad
04-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Yes, exactly right.

And there's no way in hell that I think you get value for what Apple charges - that's my point.

The most over-priced products I've ever encountered.

I get that many love their stuff - that's great.

They're (mostly) not for me. I sincerely hope the rest of you enjoy them.Is there an MP3 player with a similar capacity to the 160GB ipod?

Scott Bails
04-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Is there an MP3 player with a similar capacity to the 160GB ipod?

That's exactly why I said "mostly." ;)

wideopenears
04-04-2013, 01:05 PM
..and yet, they're phasing out the "classic."

:(

NogbadTheBad
04-04-2013, 03:10 PM
..and yet, they're phasing out the "classic."

:(

Hopefully they'll still make a high capacity model, otherwise I need to find a way to plug my 1TB portable harddrive into an MP3 player.

Jerjo
04-04-2013, 03:26 PM
I've been on the fence about tablets and am almost ready to get an iPad but the more I read about how you need an adapter to hook into an iPod dock, if won't accept flash drives, no USB ports (again, you have to buy an adapter) I am thinking that the Kindle Fire might be getting my money instead.

Facelift
04-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Hopefully they'll still make a high capacity model, otherwise I need to find a way to plug my 1TB portable harddrive into an MP3 player.

Ipods in general are being phased out. They are introducing a 128GB Iphone in 2013, according to most rumors. So I guess there's that, if you feel the need to stay with Apple products.

Scott Bails
04-04-2013, 03:50 PM
I've been on the fence about tablets and am almost ready to get an iPad but the more I read about how you need an adapter to hook into an iPod dock, if won't accept flash drives, no USB ports (again, you have to buy an adapter) I am thinking that the Kindle Fire might be getting my money instead.

Samsung Galaxy Tab rules.

Gruno
04-04-2013, 04:19 PM

Eh, I'm just not a fan of over-priced, over-hyped products. :p

MudShark22
04-04-2013, 04:20 PM
^^ :lol

Buy an HP Touchpad for 99 dollars and put Android Jelly Bean on it.
Problem solved. :up

Dave (in MA)
04-04-2013, 05:54 PM
^^ :lol

Buy an HP Touchpad for 99 dollars and put Android Jelly Bean on it.
Problem solved. :up
Tough to do unless you know someone to help you out, otherwise you're going to be trying to weed through a bunch of articles on the web that have spotty info.

MudShark22
04-04-2013, 05:59 PM
There are a lot of cr@p articles on that, I agree.
However, at http://forums.webosnation.com they are good quality peeps that would be more than happy to help out. Essentially its placing three files on the internal storage and then connecting to PC via usb and running the installer.

If someone at PE wanted to try it, I would be happy to answer questions about it.

$99 and some time in front of the PC vs outta da box for $249+

NogbadTheBad
04-04-2013, 08:57 PM
I just got one today.

Scott Bails
04-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Eh, I'm just not a fan of over-priced, over-hyped products. :p

Then you should love Samsung products.

I got my Galaxy SIII phone for $1.

Good luck finding a deal like that for any Apple product.

Plasmatopia
04-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Then you should love Samsung products.

You mean, "along with a cell phone contract"?

Scott Bails
04-04-2013, 09:44 PM
You mean, "along with a cell phone contract"?

Well, yeah, that goes hand-in-hand with a phone.

NogbadTheBad
04-04-2013, 09:54 PM
I haven't found my ipod overpriced, it probably gets more use than anything else I have and I love it.

Plasmatopia
04-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Well, yeah, that goes hand-in-hand with a phone.

I think I've heard of some iPhones being free with a contract...

Gruno
04-04-2013, 10:35 PM

Sounds about right. You get what you pay for. ;)

Scott Bails
04-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Now you're just being silly. ;)

Facelift
04-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Now you're just being silly. ;)

Beyond silly. It's exactly this kind of clueless crusading that turns a lot of the more educated consumers off of the brand.

ronmac
04-05-2013, 08:38 AM

And, you won't. They know what the market will bear and they will stay within that range. That's what made them the most-valuable business in the world.

Scott Bails
04-05-2013, 08:43 AM
And, you won't. They know what the market will bear and they will stay within that range. That's what made them the most-valuable business in the world.

And that's why I don't buy their products. :)

MudShark22
04-05-2013, 08:50 AM
The carrier subsidizing model is broken and non-consumer friendly and a relic of the US telecom arena. While some subsidizing occurs outside the US; its far less prevalent. And the fallout is that the carriers control how and when your phone is updated (which is why so many devices are so far behind in android updates...not google's fault, but the carriers).

I buy all my devices off contract (HSPA only) and move between ATT, T-Mobile and the MVNOs (e.g.Straight Talk) whenever they give me the best deal. I own the device, I can go and do what I like.

TheNefariousHED
04-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Umm... one can get an iPhone 4 for FREE from Big Red with a two-year contract.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5782

For the record, I own an iPad 2 and a Galaxy Note 10.1. Don't really have any skin in the fire, since I write about technology and need to remain agnostic. If you are planning on doing any music creation on a tablet, the iPad 2 is a no-brainer. I enjoy the Note, but the music apps just aren't there yet. Google has sped up the Android kernel, so that may change, but the Korg apps and Animoog rule the roost for music creation.

One bit of irony is that Google's own Maps runs like ass on the Note compared to its iOS performance. Unusable in comparison. I still haven't upgraded to iOS 6 primarily because of the native Google Maps, but I may have to break down as there are some music apps for the iPad that require the latest OS.

Duncan Glenday
04-05-2013, 09:02 AM
I just got one today.
I'll be interested to hear how you like it, after you've had it for a month.

I don't have any plans to buy a pad (I always have a smart phone with me, and usually, a laptop, so I don't see the need) but then, I haven't had the ownership experience yet...

When I'm flying (which happens every week) I usually see the passengers next to me doing cool stuff with their pads. But not cool enough for me to make the commitment to $$, time, and lugging around the extra weight in my already heavy briefcase.

Progmatic
04-05-2013, 09:03 AM
The carrier subsidizing model is broken and non-consumer friendly and a relic of the US telecom arena. While some subsidizing occurs outside the US; its far less prevalent. And the fallout is that the carriers control how and when your phone is updated (which is why so many devices are so far behind in android updates...not google's fault, but the carriers).

I buy all my devices off contract (HSPA only) and move between ATT, T-Mobile and the MVNOs (e.g.Straight Talk) whenever they give me the best deal. I own the device, I can go and do what I like.

I happen to work for carrier. Software or Hardware updates are controlled for consumer protection. Carriers cannot afford to launch untested software update or hardware devices (aka phones) since they have certain commitment to guarantee quality of provided service (it includes protection of network as well as protection of users experience). So every update goes through vigorous testing before is launched. If there is some risk with the update, it is not going to happen.
On other hand companies like Google, Apple have no bacon in it...they can launch over the top applications any time...

btw any phone can be available at full price for non contract situation...the initial cost of your mobile is high (dictated by Apple and such) and your cost of operating device is high (paying premium per time unit)

Scott Bails
04-05-2013, 09:13 AM
Umm... one can get an iPhone 4 for FREE from Big Red with a two-year contract.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=5782

Right, but that's a generation behind.

I got my Samsung right when it was at the height of its popularity, and I've had it for five months before the release of their next generation.

NogbadTheBad
04-05-2013, 09:55 AM
I'll be interested to hear how you like it, after you've had it for a month.

I don't have any plans to buy a pad (I always have a smart phone with me, and usually, a laptop, so I don't see the need) but then, I haven't had the ownership experience yet...

When I'm flying (which happens every week) I usually see the passengers next to me doing cool stuff with their pads. But not cool enough for me to make the commitment to $$, time, and lugging around the extra weight in my already heavy briefcase.I'll let you know, I doubt I would have got it if I'd had to pay for it.

I recently complete 25 years service with the company I work for and it was the most appealing thing on the list of goodies I could pick from as a celebratory gift (does anyone ever order the company logo cufflinks? really?). So I got it for free if you don't could the 25 years stuck in a cube farm :)

MudShark22
04-05-2013, 11:21 AM
I happen to work for carrier. Software or Hardware updates are controlled for consumer protection. Carriers cannot afford to launch untested software update or hardware devices (aka phones) since they have certain commitment to guarantee quality of provided service (it includes protection of network as well as protection of users experience). So every update goes through vigorous testing before is launched. If there is some risk with the update, it is not going to happen.
On other hand companies like Google, Apple have no bacon in it...they can launch over the top applications any time...

btw any phone can be available at full price for non contract situation...the initial cost of your mobile is high (dictated by Apple and such) and your cost of operating device is high (paying premium per time unit)

Preface: As usual, everything here IMO! :)

I prefer the current Google method which gives me the update OTA without carrier interference (eg. Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4).
As long as the FCC has certified the device to work on the bands applied for, then it should be good to go.

Also it appears to this consumer that the carriers are delaying OS upgrades on barely 12 month old devices specifically to drive sales (e.g. contract extensions) of new devices. If a carrier sells a device with the current operating system and then prevents older devices (that could run the updated OS) on their network from receiving the same upgrade, thats not consumer protection.

Jerjo
04-05-2013, 11:33 AM
If someone has the latest generation of iPad, I have a couple questions. Now there's no USB port on the damn thing and they've changed the basic connector so docks that would work with iPods won't work for an iPad. So to add any kind of information to the damn thing I would have to buy an adapter, right? Then I could run my external hard drive to it to add tunes, movies, etc. Or possibly just hook it to my laptop and rip CDs on iTunes direct to the iPad?

Mr. Grizzly Bear
04-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Samsung Galaxy owner here too, mine's the mid-priced Attain and it rocks, works beautifully for me.

zombywoof
04-05-2013, 12:11 PM
My school gave all music majors an iPad my freshman year. I honestly never use it, since I don't have wifi at home.

Progmatic
04-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Preface: As usual, everything here IMO! :)

I prefer the current Google method which gives me the update OTA without carrier interference (eg. Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4).
As long as the FCC has certified the device to work on the bands applied for, then it should be good to go.

Also it appears to this consumer that the carriers are delaying OS upgrades on barely 12 month old devices specifically to drive sales (e.g. contract extensions) of new devices. If a carrier sells a device with the current operating system and then prevents older devices (that could run the updated OS) on their network from receiving the same upgrade, thats not consumer protection.

First part of your statement. FCC has no bacon in it either...they certify the mobile product against their applicable spectrum requirements and general safety standards and not against the wireless technology standards or carrier specific requirements. Just think about it if the phone does not do what is supposed to, you would go to operator not the FCC. In the case you go to FCC, they would go to the carrier.

Second part, although carrier Marketing strategy could play part in it I do not believe it is that big. It is because carriers already collect their revenue from the "old phone" users...as a matter of fact, they tend to lose money on the new phones since they have to subsidize their sale…so the new phone is more less a marketing tool to attract new customers …
...on other hand the mobile devices manufacturers (your Apple, Samsung, RIM…) do not want their users to upgrade their old product as their business is directly proportional to the number of units sold...

Plasmatopia
04-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Right, but that's a generation behind.

I got my Samsung right when it was at the height of its popularity, and I've had it for five months before the release of their next generation.

Right. But what sort of performance do you actually need? I'm still using an iPhone 4S and it's probably way beyond what I need. So if you bought that whole "bleeding edge" marketing thing then you're somebody's bitch...just not Apple's bitch... :) :) :)

Gruno
04-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Right. But what sort of performance do you actually need? I'm still using an iPhone 4S and it's probably way beyond what I need. So if you bought that whole "bleeding edge" marketing thing then you're somebody's bitch...just not Apple's bitch... :) :) :)

That's sort of where I am at with this. I have the iPhone 4s and I have no reason (or want) to upgrade. I don't need the latest version available. The apps I use work just fine. Cell phone cameras mean next to nothing for me since I always have a camera with me wherever I go. Until something goes wrong with the phone, battery drains too easily, or it becomes too slow -- I am happy with what I have.

Dave (in MA)
04-05-2013, 08:30 PM
There are a lot of cr@p articles on that, I agree.
I managed to get cyanogen mod 9 on it. Does "jelly bean" fix the camera problem?

UnephenStephen
04-05-2013, 08:41 PM
my Asus is pretty nice too..

Plasmatopia
04-05-2013, 09:08 PM
I managed to get cyanogen mod 9 on it. Does "jelly bean" fix the camera problem?

This project seems just dangerous enough to be fun....

Trane
04-07-2013, 03:46 AM
Actually, I would be happy if Apple lost out major chunks out of the market if they going to censor things when using their iPads or phoness...

In this case, they forced the Izneo platform dealing with numerical Belgo-French comics to retrieve out of their proposed catalogues the ones that are too adult in their contents, by showing nudity or light sex scenes when using Apple products... we're not even talking of specific erotic or porno comics (apparently they're not concerned.... yet) ... And of course comics (US, Eur of Mangas) showing hundreds of murders and violent deaths are not even aimed at... just sex seems to be their problem...

If Izneo didn't comply with Apple's threat, they faced immediate expulsion of the network and access to Apple proucts, with no possible compromise or possibility of appeal

Not only does it seems to me absolutely intolerable that they monitor what we do with the merchendise we buy, but the idea of them stopping certain usage of the products to whatever the user wants to do seems totally liberticide...

Apple definitely prefer brutal death and useless violence to adult love.... BOYCOTT TIME, dudes

http://www.itespresso.fr/apple-somme-izneo-epurer-librairie-numerique-63547.html
http://www.numerama.com/magazine/25580-apple-pousse-izneo-a-censurer-1500-bandes-dessinees.html
http://reviewer.lavoixdunord.fr/fr/web-tech/actualites/67092/apple-censure-les-bd-pornographiques-d-izneo-disponibles-sur-ipad/?CFID=263600&CFTOKEN=d7c67367b0c6f2a0-E1D3401F-5056-9A48-A3E21C25DC4C32EC

Sorry, french link...

NogbadTheBad
04-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Any good app reco's for a Samsung tablet? I'm set up on GMail, Kindle, Google Earth, Maps and the like, I'm looking for some good games.

3RDegree_Robert
04-08-2013, 01:50 AM
I can see that side to it. On that note, it would be interesting to see what products you do buy (ie: Coca~Cola, etc) that are probably as "hyped" within their own category as Apple products ;)

For me, it doesn't matter. They have what I like and I am not poor when purchasing their products. Not that I am some rich dude, not at all. As for the hype -- that has no affect on me. The durability of my Apple products is what keeps me happy the most. My desktop is going in its 6th year of life; my 160gb iPod Classic is just slightly older; MacBook Pro (laptop) is nearing its 3rd birthday; iPhone 4s I've had since 2011 is giving me no complaints. I also have an iPod from 2004 and an iBook (laptop) from 2004. Both come in handy and get used often.

Apple gives me a huge smile!

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/goblynzgroove/misc/mac_zps05ada490.jpg

Pretty much my belief too. I have an iMac from '06 (first with Intel chip) I use as my photo depot exclusively (rather than selling it), an iPod Classic 60gb from around the same time still going, 2 iPod nanos I don't use anymore (because of my iphone), a MacBook Pro 17" with hi-def screen from '07 which I've dropped and the plastic edge cracked a bit so it doesn't close well but that's something I did, a MacBook Air from '08 (first generation), 2 iPhone 4S (not jonesin' to upgrade until contract is over), and just got a MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2.7khz with ram maxed out at 16gb. This new machine is amazingly fast and I can't wait to do some Final Cut Pro editing on it which was getting a bit sluggish on the MBP 17" mentioned earlier. My plans are to use my old Mac Book Pro to record my band's albums (with Digital Performer) and to use Propellerheads Reason software on stage with 3RDegree.

Out of all these machines I think the only one I really have a complaint with is the first generation Mac Book Air from '08. This machine is seriously underpowered on the video card front. Streaming Netflix on it seriously blows. Freezes up, jitters, etc. The iPhones are fast than that machine which is silly.

PeterG
04-08-2013, 07:00 AM
I don't have an android phone or any other smartphone or an ipad or an ipod or an iphone.
I have a £10 Samsung phone that I use as a phone, it does nothing else, and I don't want anything else.

Paulie
04-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Good for you!

MudShark22
04-08-2013, 10:35 AM

CM10 has a working camera for the TP.
Here is a thread @ webosnation that is good to follow: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-webos/316880-jellybean-cm10-hp-touchpad.html Page 6 of the thread also has a recap of links etc.

Generally, files can be found at the jcsullins site at goo.im: http://goo.im/devs/jcsullins

You must uninstall CM9 then install CM10 using the new acmeinstaller3 as CM10 has larger partition requirements.

WHORG
04-08-2013, 10:49 AM
We bought a smaller Galaxy Tab last week and promptly returned it back to Sam's - - -

We're just into the larger iPad form factor and iOS too much to change our old habits I guess. Another iPad is definitely in our future.

BTW - I got a new laptop for my home studio (Ableton Live) - a XPS 13 Dell Ultrabook: i7 dual core, 1080p display, 8GB RAM, 256 GB solid state drive, over 8 hours battery life - weighs under 3 pounds, boots completely in about 10 seconds. The thing just smokes and is their answer to the Macbook Air . . .

Everything has it's place.

Jerjo
05-06-2013, 10:07 PM
I've descended into Cupertino Hell - just got an iPad.

Chuck AzEee!
05-07-2013, 11:41 AM
I don't have an android phone or any other smartphone or an ipad or an ipod or an iphone.
I have a £10 Samsung phone that I use as a phone, it does nothing else, and I don't want anything else.Although I have a smartphone, what you have there is the best option. No need to spend money when it's not necessary.

Brian Griffin
05-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Although I have a smartphone, what you have there is the best option

Define "best"

I like having a desktop PC, 2 laptops, 2 tablets, and Galaxy Note 2

Thats the "best" option for me : )

BG

Sheerah
05-07-2013, 07:11 PM
I'm still in dumb phone mode.
But I'm considering either the HTC One or Samsung Galaxy 4

Firth
05-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Actually, I would be happy if Apple lost out major chunks out of the market if they going to censor things when using their iPads or phoness...

In this case, they forced the Izneo platform dealing with numerical Belgo-French comics to retrieve out of their proposed catalogues the ones that are too adult in their contents, by showing nudity or light sex scenes when using Apple products... we're not even talking of specific erotic or porno comics (apparently they're not concerned.... yet) ... And of course comics (US, Eur of Mangas) showing hundreds of murders and violent deaths are not even aimed at... just sex seems to be their problem...

If Izneo didn't comply with Apple's threat, they faced immediate expulsion of the network and access to Apple proucts, with no possible compromise or possibility of appeal

Not only does it seems to me absolutely intolerable that they monitor what we do with the merchendise we buy, but the idea of them stopping certain usage of the products to whatever the user wants to do seems totally liberticide...

Apple definitely prefer brutal death and useless violence to adult love....

Total sensationalism on your part. I can get anything I want thru Safari on Iphone. Apple has decided that any media it distributes will be censored, and that is also freedom of speech. You don't have to receive media from Apple on a system built by Apple. I will never purchase music from Itunes, cause I want atleast CD quality.

Zeuhlmate
05-10-2013, 02:23 PM
I got an almost new iphone 4 recently, (ridiculously cheap) because an aquaintance bought samsung s3, a nokia (with windows), and an iphone, and disliked the iphone. Before that I was on dumbphone. My wife has a samsung s2, my son has a ipad. All have their advantages, some stuff works better on her Samsung, there are more freedom regarding how you can use it, on the other hand, it can be more tricky. My Iphone and sonny's ipad are almost working the same way. An ipad is a great toy. The apple stuff seems to be a bit more stable (if you disregard apps like the GPS).
If I hade the money, I would probably buy an Samsung S3 because of the screen (size & quality).

Zeuhlmate
05-10-2013, 02:27 PM
If someone has the latest generation of iPad, I have a couple questions. Now there's no USB port on the damn thing and they've changed the basic connector so docks that would work with iPods won't work for an iPad. So to add any kind of information to the damn thing I would have to buy an adapter, right? Then I could run my external hard drive to it to add tunes, movies, etc. Or possibly just hook it to my laptop and rip CDs on iTunes direct to the iPad?

You should be able to activate Blue tooth or use WiFire to exchange data between your devices. Or perhaps use the Cloud as temporary store.

Jerjo
05-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Well, the iPad came with an adapter so I got past that nonsense. Here's the grubby details from my blog:

http://jeroljohnson.org/2013/05/09/to-boldly-go/

I now have a folder of essential albums ripped as Apple MP3s stored on an external hard drive. I dislike clouds - too small memory and to open to prying eyes. I can move music into my iPad or iPhone without a problem now. I still hate iTunes - it's the worst media player out there when used on a PC. I have a lot of e-comics as cbr or pdf files. I found readers for those and all my other e-books pretty easily. One of those comics is Artesia

http://artesiaonline.com/blog/

which has HBO levels of gore and nudity. I doubt if Apple would approve but fuck 'em. I bought your hardware but you cannot control what I load onto it.

Vic2012
05-10-2013, 07:13 PM
I have a smartphone but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it. X) :beer. Happy Friday :)

Gruno
05-11-2013, 11:00 AM
I have a smartphone but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it. X) :beer. Happy Friday :)

Give it to someone who is smart...? |)

Vic2012
05-11-2013, 12:38 PM
Give it to someone who is smart...? |)

Yeah, that's a tall order. Let's see.........|)

LongFrog
05-13-2013, 05:28 PM
To begin with, iPhone never had an appeal with me, because I don't believe they ever offered good value for money (can't quantify the monetary value of the supposed "coolness factor"). We had bad experience with a Macbook laptop a few years ago, which resulted in the "Apple Ban" in the family.

rapidfirerob
05-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Oh it will tell you.

Scott Bails
05-13-2013, 09:19 PM
To begin with, iPhone never had an appeal with me, because I don't believe they ever offered good value for money (can't quantify the monetary value of the supposed "coolness factor").

On this, we completely agree. :up

Paulie
05-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Of course you agree. If coolness factor means functionality that works consistently, then I'm in. Waaaay in. Have you guys ever owned one? And a good value for the money?? C'mon, really? I received mine for free with the contract, just like any other phone out there. You guys crack me the fuck up! :lol:lol

ronmac
05-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Of course you agree. If coolness factor means functionality that works consistently, then I'm in. Waaaay in.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'm an Apple user, not because it's the cool thing to do, but because their products are stable, efficient and highly intuitive (read: "easy-to-use"). No stupid things like clicking on the start button to shut down. I don't find myself rolling my eyes and asking myself, "Why would they do it this way?" None of that BS that gets in the way of me getting work done. Now, I don't have an iPhone, so I'm referring to their desktop products which have provided me with not only a great user experience, they've given me no other reason to look elsewhere.

Lower price doesn't always equal greater value.

Scott Bails
05-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Lower price doesn't always equal greater value.

Neither does a higher price. ;)

Plasmatopia
05-14-2013, 09:41 AM
When superior technology approaches you it appears as a monster...when it reaches you, it is bliss...give in and let it assimilate you... :)

Klonk
05-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Of course you agree. If coolness factor means functionality that works consistently, then I'm in. Waaaay in. Have you guys ever owned one? And a good value for the money?? C'mon, really? I received mine for free with the contract, just like any other phone out there. You guys crack me the fuck up! :lol:lol

:lol seriously! I've got a MacBook Pro and iPhone. These things have been flawless for me and together they're like peanut butter and fuckin' jelly! I LOVE 'em...so much so, I wouldn't even entertain other options :up

Damn that popularity!!!

Scott Bails
05-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Again, the argument isn't that it is not a good product - just that it's obnoxiously over-priced.

Paulie
05-14-2013, 10:01 AM
How is free overpriced?

Scott Bails
05-14-2013, 10:05 AM
One rare, specific incident of a "free" product. You're very much in the minority there, Paulie.

Paulie
05-14-2013, 10:18 AM
We're talking phones here, correct? I received my 4S free with a 2 year commitment. I just received an offer for a free iPhone 5 six months ahead of schedule with another 2 year commitment. Pretty much just like any other popular phone available. The carriers could give two shits which phone they give you. They just want you locked in.

Paulie
05-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Oh and as far as their other products being obnoxiously overpriced, if you're personally/professionally into graphic arts, video production, music production, or anything that requires some serious number-crunching, I completely disagree with you. They are worth every penny. However, if you simply spend every waking moment on PE, then I agree with you.

wideopenears
05-14-2013, 11:37 AM
I love my iPhone...and my Apple TV and my Mac Mini. Frankly, they're all pretty seamless, and do what I want them to do with no fuss at all.

They are pricey...but you know what's REALLY pricey? Cell phone plans...any cell phone plan. The cellular Telecom industry is just ridiculous--they put Apple to shame.

Jerjo
05-14-2013, 12:59 PM
I am liking the iPad. Works well as a reader and as something to surf on the Internet when the laptop isn't available. It was expensive but is very, very well built. I got my 4S free with a two-year plan. But when I want to do work (writing), it's PC all the way.

ronmac
05-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Again, the argument isn't that it is not a good product - just that it's obnoxiously over-priced.

If it was obnoxiously overpriced, they'd be out of business. Apple knows damn well what the market will bear. If they didn't, they wouldn't have the most valuable brand in the world. Yes, they even topped Coca-Cola in brand equity.

Gruno
05-14-2013, 05:07 PM

Overpriced for you... ok.

Overpriced for me... no way.

I agree with Paulie about the use of Apple for work such as photo editing and graphics. I have used both PC but have only ever purchased Apple products.

I have never regretted any purchases of my Apple products.

ronmac
05-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Plug-and-play, baby!

WHORG
05-14-2013, 07:28 PM
In the artistic fields - there is a loyal customer base for Apple machines for sure . . . and my job requires such hardware simply from a campus compatability standard. We do get a massive discount in this regard - so that's that ! ! ! I have a gigantic iMac with a second display, i7 quad-core, 16GB RAM and it's simply STUNNING ! ! !

At home = I moved away from Apple platforms . . . (except for the iPad) - to a KILLER PC laptop with a solid state drive - - - it too is stellar in performance. My friends and collaborators are all on PC's - hence my alignment.

It really is a useless argument - because the choice is ultimately yours in how your money's spent.

And really - I would like to see what the "average" computer user is really doing with their machines anyways: probably email, web media, shopping and whacking off . . . it's all their own money - - - and choice.

Apple sort of reminds me of Leica (camera) in many ways: they just "are", and have a rabid and loyal following none-the-less.

Can't wait to see what will happen to iOS in the very near future - - -

Have fun - it's only ones and zeros baby !!!

Just Eric
05-24-2013, 06:58 PM
I live in an Apple house (my in-laws) but have been an Andriod user since the beginning with Samsung phones. I can't comment on the functionality of the iPhone other than it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever - that is how different it is from the Samsung. For all you who contend the iPhone is intuitive and user friendly, great, I won't disagree. However, my Samsung is just as intuitive and user friendly and I've found has the features that are relevant to me. I think the playing field is completely level now that both App stores contain ample apps.